Forums

'Musaigen no Phantom World' Anime Adaptation Announced

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 14, 2015 11:18 AM

Jun 2013
moodie said:
HaXXspetten said:
KyoAni adapting random light novels? What a shocking development, never seen this before..
>random
>not knowing it was a Kyoto Animation Award winner

lmfao i love u plebs talking out of ur ass
I believe it was a runner up and not a winner. Not sure though.
Aug 14, 2015 11:18 AM

Jun 2008
Kyoani? Instant watch for me.

I really like the character design for the main guy as well :3
Aug 14, 2015 11:20 AM

Jun 2008
Hoppy said:
This novel has only 1 volume so it can be adapted fully however as it's only 1 volume, it will most likely be a short 8-12 minute anime.

I'm predicting fillers an anime original episodes and probably ending.
Aug 14, 2015 11:21 AM
Feb 2011
Might watch it as it will probably have great visuals. Other than that, I expect this to be garbage.
Aug 14, 2015 11:23 AM

Apr 2014
Hoppy said:
This novel has only 1 volume so it can be adapted fully however as it's only 1 volume, it will most likely be a short 8-12 minute anime.
cuz kyoani adapts things faithfully lol

most likely it will be a normal length kyo project
Aug 14, 2015 11:26 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
-Anabelle- said:
moodie said:
>random

It was actually an honorable mention in the fourth KyoAni Awards.

Source: Anime News Network

Aug 14, 2015 11:28 AM

May 2012
Action, Fantasy, Supernatural genre

Looks good. I hope it will 24 episodes or more
Aug 14, 2015 11:30 AM

May 2013
>KyoAni

Instant PTW. But Euphonium S2 when?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 14, 2015 11:35 AM

Jun 2013
thepath said:
I hope it will 24 episodes or more
Since it's only one volume long, that probably won't be happening.
Aug 14, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2014
Kyoto Animation? Will definitely watch!!
Aug 14, 2015 11:47 AM

May 2013
SweetCoconut said:
>KyoAni

Never, judging by the sales.
Aug 14, 2015 11:51 AM

Oct 2012
-Kyoto Animation
*will go on ptw list as soon as possible.

Aug 14, 2015 11:59 AM
Dec 2013
Will check this out. I like the LN's art style and this seems very interesting at that. I would also like a harem aspect, but not a largely prominent one.
Aug 14, 2015 12:01 PM

Aug 2015
MC looks so badass
Aug 14, 2015 12:15 PM

Aug 2014
It doesn't look that great, but you won't really know until you watch.

Kokko said:
SweetCoconut said:
>KyoAni

Never, judging by the sales.

The sales are very good. It will probably get some sort of sequel (movie/second season).
Aug 14, 2015 12:20 PM

Aug 2011
Man KyoAni I'll just trust you I guess... at worst maybe this will be as enjoyable as AmaBri (which was fun but p forgettable imo).
Aug 14, 2015 12:22 PM

Apr 2014
>KyoAni adapting a generic harem battle academy LN
No. No no no no no no. Why?
KyoAni has the talent to do so much more than the shit they've been doing. It's bad enough they waste their potential on stupid moe shows, but now this? We have enough of this garbage coming as it is, we don't need one of the industry's most influential and talented studios jumping on the bandwagon. KyoAni has the potential to make an amazing anime but they waste it every single time.
This is bothering me more than it should.

Oh well, at least it should be fun to watch, even if the fun will come from how much of a trainwreck it will be.
HonguAug 14, 2015 1:02 PM
Aug 14, 2015 12:25 PM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
No. No no no no no no. Fucking WHY.
KyoAni has the talent to do so much more than the shit they've been doing. It's bad enough they waste their potential on stupid moe shows, but now this? We have enough of this garbage coming as it is, we don't need one of the industry's most influential and talented studios jumping on the bandwagon. Fucking hell. KyoAni has the potential to make an amazing anime but they waste it every single time.

Oh we, at least it should be fun to watch, even if the fun will come from how much of a trainwreck it will be.
have u read this? im assuming u have since u know its a generic harem battle academy ln
Aug 14, 2015 12:33 PM
Apr 2012
moodie said:
Hongu said:
No. No no no no no no. Fucking WHY.
KyoAni has the talent to do so much more than the shit they've been doing. It's bad enough they waste their potential on stupid moe shows, but now this? We have enough of this garbage coming as it is, we don't need one of the industry's most influential and talented studios jumping on the bandwagon. Fucking hell. KyoAni has the potential to make an amazing anime but they waste it every single time.

Oh we, at least it should be fun to watch, even if the fun will come from how much of a trainwreck it will be.
have u read this? im assuming u have since u know its a generic harem battle academy ln

Moodie you know very well this is going to generic. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but with anime it's usually what you see is what you get.

Also, I agree that Kyoto Animation can be doing much more innovative projects. But their worst fault is that they gear towards fan service, they breath fan service, they are fan service.

Literally every TV anime they make has cinematic visuals throughout the entire running, despite the questionable content in some. I wonder if they are ever going to make anything better than the Haruhi Suzumiya film.

Also

Avok said:
Hyouka when?
FumitoAug 14, 2015 12:39 PM
Aug 14, 2015 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
This news is a myth. KyoAni had already died few years ago.
Aug 14, 2015 12:47 PM

Oct 2007
This looks and sounds a lot like those Fantasy Battle Harem LN adaptations we get several of everyone season except even if it is it's profile will be exponentially inflated and it's status and importance as a significant work exaggerated and praised to the high heavens just because it's Kyoto Animation. I look forward to seeing the community do a 100% about face on how it feels about these kinds of LN adaptations just for this one show before going right back to hating them regardless of the story and character content.
Aug 14, 2015 12:59 PM

Oct 2012
Stark700 said:
Another work by Kyoto Animation? Interesting.

I wonder if it will be a TV adaptation though.

I'm sure it will.

Anyway, I knew this was coming, and I am quite looking forward to it.
Aug 14, 2015 12:59 PM

Jan 2014
10th_man_down said:
Sounds generic and boring.

Aug 14, 2015 1:04 PM

Apr 2014
Moodie you know very well this is going to generic.

no i dont know cuz i watched plenty of ur so called generic ln adaptions and each had something unique to them that made them stand out from the rest....do u really think japan could get away with spewing the same thing over and over again. no, because each of these harems try to do something the other doesnt to differentiate this. you may ask well how do i know? cuz unlike u blind haters i actually am watching these.
Also, I agree that Kyoto Animation can be doing much more innovative projects. But their worst fault is that they gear towards fan service, they breath fan service, they are fan service.
who cares what the west thinks about whats innovative...if u are watching anime for the most original and innovative work ur in the wrong medium. its about putting out the best version of whats currently out. maybe that might not always look like the case but its an effort.
Aug 14, 2015 1:27 PM
Mar 2014
It's kind of disappointing that people in this thread are going out of their way to bash this. Maybe because they want to fit in? There are much worse things getting adapted that no one seems to bat an eye at, so I don't know why a below-average-at-worst series is a problem.

moodie said:
who cares what the west thinks about whats innovative...if u are watching anime for the most original and innovative work ur in the wrong medium.

Exactly, and innovation has nothing to do with quality.
vegetablespiritAug 14, 2015 1:33 PM
Aug 14, 2015 1:31 PM

May 2013
I haven't heard anything good about this novel, so I'm not expecting anything nice from this other than the animation. Hopefully it'll flop and they'll turn their attention to more worthwhile projects

moodie said:

no i dont know cuz i watched plenty of ur so called generic ln adaptions and each had something unique to them that made them stand out from the rest....do u really think japan could get away with spewing the same thing over and over again. no, because each of these harems try to do something the other doesnt to differentiate this. you may ask well how do i know? cuz unlike u blind haters i actually am watching these.

Just because you change one minor detail like the name of a character, their hair color, or something like the setting doesn't negate the fact that a lot of shows are moronic rehashes of the other with cardboard cut out characters. Originality is dead and has been dead for a long time. Throwing in one slight difference doesn't make your work 'original', especially so when that work is filled with tropes and cliches and characters that are literally the same as 5000 characters from other shows.

Whatever though, you'll just revert to the whole moronic 'you're just an elitist!' argument because that's literally all you can ever go off about.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Aug 14, 2015 1:40 PM

Aug 2014
StreetFighter said:
Make more Free! please .-.

Kyoani only does HS settings.
Aug 14, 2015 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
Kotobukii said:
I haven't heard anything good about this novel, so I'm not expecting anything nice from this other than the animation. Hopefully it'll flop and they'll turn their attention to more worthwhile projects

moodie said:

Just because you change one minor detail like the name of a character, their hair color, or something like the setting doesn't negate the fact that a lot of shows are moronic rehashes of the other with cardboard cut out characters. Originality is dead and has been dead for a long time. Throwing in one slight difference doesn't make your work 'original', especially so when that work is filled with tropes and cliches and characters that are literally the same as 5000 characters from other shows.

Whatever though, you'll just revert to the whole moronic 'you're just an elitist!' argument because that's literally all you can ever go off about.
>"you're just an elitist!' argument because that's literally all you can ever go off about.

please dont flatter urself ur not even close to that nor will anyone label u as such

also, isnt that what all anime is....from ur SAO to ur Pyscho Pass everything is a rehash of something else...anime is about how u execute that. again looking at ur list or most ppl that complain u guys havent watched "the generic" shit in the first place to even make that call or judgement
Aug 14, 2015 1:41 PM

Aug 2014
Hmmmm, the LN is only one volume, but when it comes to LN, Kyoani takes an original route.
Aug 14, 2015 1:43 PM

Jun 2013
ooo333 said:
StreetFighter said:
Make more Free! please .-.

Kyoani only does HS settings.
Not really since Free! movie is going to take place in middle school.
Aug 14, 2015 1:45 PM
Apr 2012
moodie said:
if u are watching anime for the most original and innovative work ur in the wrong medium.

after checking out your tastes, I would say you have no credibility whatsoever. You seem to be mindless towards copy-and-paste characters, shows, etc.

vodall said:
It's kind of disappointing that people in this thread are going out of their way to bash this. Maybe because they want to fit in? There are much worse things getting adapted that no one seems to bat an eye at, so I don't know why a below-average-at-worst series is a problem.

moodie said:
who cares what the west thinks about whats innovative...if u are watching anime for the most original and innovative work ur in the wrong medium.

Exactly, and innovation has nothing to do with quality.

The premise to Tamako Market was more intriguing than this. This doesn't sound or look original at all. No one is hating, people are just being honest. This may appeal to some, but to people who like seeing new premises, they'll likely despise this story.
Aug 14, 2015 1:46 PM
Mar 2014
Kotobukii said:

You need to get this whole "tropes are bad" idea out of your head. Tropes are storytelling tools, while clichés are subjectively overused tropes. Neither are automatic indicators of bad quality, since their strength relies on the execution by the writer and/or director. For these same reasons, as Moodie said, a work does not need to be original or innovative to be of quality.

LotGH is super unoriginal and cliché at times, but it's still good.
vegetablespiritAug 14, 2015 1:52 PM
Aug 14, 2015 1:49 PM

Apr 2009
moodie said:

It's funny because it works pretty well. I mean, Diomedea animated LNs with almost the exact same plot back to back (Fafnir, World Break, Sky Wizard) and they still somewhat sell.

vodall said:

You need to get this whole "tropes are bad" idea out of your head. Tropes are storytelling tools, while clichés are subjectively overused tropes. Neither are automatic indicators of bad quality, since their strength relies on the execution by the writer and/or director. For these same reasons, as Moodie said, a work does not need to be original or innovative to be of quality.

LotGH is super unoriginal and cliché at times, but it's still good.

True to an extent, but the EXECUTION and appliance of these tropes is almost always the same as well in most LNs. Just compare all the fighting school fantasy harem ecchi romcoms we got recently... the lack of variety combined with the amount of LN adaptions is the problem and execution turns it into a grind that almost nobody is willing to put up with.
NidhoeggrAug 14, 2015 2:02 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 14, 2015 1:52 PM

Apr 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
moodie said:

It's funny because it works pretty well. I mean, Diomedea animated LNs with almost the exact same plot back to back (Fafnir, World Break, Sky Wizard) and they still somewhat sell.
Fafnir and World Break were worlds apart felt like i was watching 2 different anime....oh wait i was
Aug 14, 2015 1:53 PM

Apr 2009
The execution of tropes within the director's capacity was extremely similar and as vodall said before, this is important.
Then again, most users on MAL are perhaps too much into anime to discern what 99% of non-anime fans and normal people see when they look at LNs:
The same crappy story with generic art over and over again. I dare you guys: Ask your non-anime watching friend about 10 LNs like Fafnir or World Break and try to make them believe they are different.
You won't succeed.

As people noted before: Many otaku prefer the best execution of a completely generic setting IN A GENERIC WAY.
That might be interesting to hardcore fans, but for sane people who prefer actual difference in their media consumption it is just boring.
NidhoeggrAug 14, 2015 1:57 PM
Aug 14, 2015 1:57 PM

May 2013
moodie said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Fafnir and World Break were worlds apart felt like i was watching 2 different anime....oh wait i was

True, World Break dude had a stupid strain in his hair and an excuse to bang his imouto.

Aug 14, 2015 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
I also love how you don't deny that World Break and Sky Wizards are basically the same.
Q.E.D.
Aug 14, 2015 2:01 PM

Apr 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
I also love how you don't deny that World Break and Sky Wizards are basically the same.
Q.E.D.
heres my asspull:

because it hasnt finished yet so i cant rate an incomplete work
Aug 14, 2015 2:01 PM

May 2013
No no, Sky Wizards has butt-ugly CGI beetles that World Break lacked. Clearly a distinct difference right there.

Aug 14, 2015 2:03 PM

Aug 2011
Sounds random... but KYOANI! Let's give a try.

» Escapism.

Aug 14, 2015 2:03 PM
May 2012
It's KyoAni, will probably watch.
Aug 14, 2015 2:11 PM

Aug 2013
Cute art, shit story. Another typical day at KyoAni.
''Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake''
-Anime
Aug 14, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2015
action/fantasy
i will watch
Aug 14, 2015 2:23 PM

Apr 2013
Can't wait for moe blobs!!
Aug 14, 2015 2:40 PM

Jun 2014
Hoppy said:

Why do studios adapt things without a sufficient amount of material? who knows what they are thinking :>
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 14, 2015 3:09 PM

Aug 2014
Kyoani? Well i'm down.
Aug 14, 2015 3:09 PM
Aug 2012
There is 1 volume, so will be a TV or maybe an OVA adaptation?
If it's a harem (or at least close to a harem) I'll watch it.
Aug 14, 2015 3:32 PM
Jan 2013
so all you people acknowledge that this looks like generic harem light novel shit but just because it's being made by KyoAni you're going to watch it?

oh come on, there's nothing more dumb than blind studio fanboyism. you all know full well this looks terrible. but just because 'hurr pretty colors, kyoani filters and animation' it will probably be praised to no end just like Fate.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
This looks and sounds a lot like those Fantasy Battle Harem LN adaptations we get several of everyone season except even if it is it's profile will be exponentially inflated and it's status and importance as a significant work exaggerated and praised to the high heavens just because it's Kyoto Animation. I look forward to seeing the community do a 100% about face on how it feels about these kinds of LN adaptations just for this one show before going right back to hating them regardless of the story and character content.
that's exactly what's going to happen, and it's pretty sad
enginesofdemiseAug 14, 2015 3:40 PM
Aug 14, 2015 3:52 PM

Feb 2012
Erneste said:
I wish they would invest in a Hyouka film.

Not in the next few years, that's for sure. A movie would solely have to rely on volume 5, as it's the most recent novel and the Hyouka TV used volume 1-4(Vol. 6 isn't in sight, even after 5 years. Honobu Yonezawa is annoyingly slow, so don't expect enough material for a new season in this decade). Problem is: There's nothing significant happening in vol. 5! It's rather slow and SOL-y, in a good way I might add, but that's no good movie material.

-Anabelle- said:
moodie said:
>random

An Honorable Mention and that's as good as you can get, because only one novel ever won the KyoAni Award(Violet Evergarden and we westerners still don't know anything about the story) in six years. Some pretty harsh judgement if you consider that every post-Hyouka anime bar Amagi and Euphonium was an adaption of an honorable mention and that those are mostly pretty entertaining.

Nidhoeggr said:
The execution of tropes within the director's capacity was extremely similar and as vodall said before, this is important.
Then again, most users on MAL are perhaps too much into anime to discern what 99% of non-anime fans and normal people see when they look at LNs:
The same crappy story with generic art over and over again. I dare you guys: Ask your non-anime watching friend about 10 LNs like Fafnir or World Break and try to make them believe they are different.
You won't succeed.

As people noted before: Many otaku prefer the best execution of a completely generic setting IN A GENERIC WAY.
That might be interesting to hardcore fans, but for sane people who prefer actual difference in their media consumption it is just boring.

Anime is a little like Haiku(or for a western example a Sonnet), the form is fix, the contents are fix, even the possible stylistic devices are already dictated, but the beauty lies in the various ways something can be done individually and uniquely in this tight boundaries. It always feels to me like I can get a good grip on the people creating those "standard" shows. Yeah, I still prefer stuff that actually surprises me, but as long as people create the standard staff, it will never tire me to compare all the variations on the same theme.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Aug 14, 2015 3:55 PM

Jun 2012
Such a vague (and rather generic) description.. Well, it's KyoAni though. And it's fantasy/supernatural, so I'll probably give it a try regardless. Not expecting anything if I'm being honest, but sometimes you just want something that looks nice to pass some time.
Still hoping of course it'll turn out alright, but, you know...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Science SARU Produces New 'Ghost in the Shell' TV Anime for 2026

Vindstot - 4 hours ago

23 by ProudElitist »»
8 minutes ago

» 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Reveals Production Staff, Theme Songs, Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by Synrax »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu' Gets Anime Adaptation

DatRandomDude - May 23

21 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
4 hours ago

» 'Diamond no Ace: Act II' TV Anime Sequel in Production

Vindstot - May 18

26 by justmeluiza2 »»
4 hours ago

» TOHO Strengthens Animation Division with Acquisition of Science SARU

Vindstot - Yesterday

12 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.