Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 4, 2014 5:22 PM

Jun 2012
Great series! Thought the setting was really cool in particular, and the finale felt pretty satisfying. Looking forward to second season, although it's gonna be hard to top the OP of this one.
Jul 6, 2014 9:10 AM

Nov 2012
Insta -1 point in score for higgs boson shit, I couldn't bear this. Writer heard new thing and wanted to be cool by adding it to the story?
CGI graphics 50/50, humans models looked good, however bunch of clones and lack of details already don't.
Characters were bland.
Story itself was somehow good, but it had too much cliches, I disliked mostly intrigue of Kunato, main character even don't tried to defend himself, it was pathetic.

I'm not satisfied just 5/10
KrunchyJul 6, 2014 9:15 AM
Jul 7, 2014 7:49 PM

Jun 2013
Great animation, good art and a typical dense mecha lead. There wasn't much character development but still a good show. 7/10
Jul 8, 2014 6:20 AM
Mar 2009
Well... I don't really like it that much. It has some nice qualities but I should have dropped it earlier, not the cup of tea I want to drink now.

Objectively maybe and 8/10 series for people who want a mech drama in space, but I can't take it too seriously or find it too exciting or entertaining; the very presentation seems to lack emotion and even with the backstory and such I just found myself thinking that I'd rather play the old Front Mission games for my mech fix... so, um, I sorta did...
Jul 8, 2014 8:16 PM

Sep 2009
D5 said:
Well... I don't really like it that much. It has some nice qualities but I should have dropped it earlier, not the cup of tea I want to drink now.

Objectively maybe and 8/10 series for people who want a mech drama in space, but I can't take it too seriously or find it too exciting or entertaining; the very presentation seems to lack emotion and even with the backstory and such I just found myself thinking that I'd rather play the old Front Mission games for my mech fix... so, um, I sorta did...

Oh man.
Those were some fun games that I have completely forgotten about.

I have to track some of them down.

===

Pew pew pew.
That was one hell of a good anime.
Thanks Netflix for the speedy airing.
Jul 10, 2014 6:51 AM

Feb 2008
Watched this after reading the source manga up to the currently available chapter.

1.) They butchered the plot and left out a lot of stuff from the manga that gave characters some major development. Other events got completely skipped. Without it, most characters just felt childish and empty. I'm also not sure how they're going to reconcile the differences between the manga and the anime at this point, since there is already some major branching.

2.) Variable framerate CG. I'm sorry, i just don't think an anime that looks like a low-fps videogame is good.

3.) Low quality character models. Frequent lack of shadows. No details, no reflections on metal surfaces or mechs. The mechs in the manga actually had reflective surfaces. It's like watching plastic dolls moving around.
It felt like seeing one of those early-morning kids shows with tons of CG on western channels. The difference being that even those kid shows had consistent framerates.
Textures were bland, everything was smooth, with only several very similar "wear & tear" patterns on characters and mechs repeating through the series.

4.) The direction. Holy shit, how many times have they used the same kind of slow-move camera on the Sidonia bridge shots?

The CG is what ruined this show. Which is infuriating, since the manga is really good in comparison. When it comes to CG, shows from bloody 1994 like Reboot have better CG.

As for the rest of the environment, it was nice but not even close to the depth and detail of Tsutomu Nihei's original manga drawings. The music was unmemorable.

The last two episodes had some decent action and fluid CG i guess. So it had SOME entertainment value. But overall, a waste of time. The hype is unjustified. 5/10 at best.
Jul 11, 2014 9:40 PM

Jun 2014
This anime BLEW ME AWAY. Its the first time i really watched an anime that was 100% 3DCG like that, but there is no way this show would have looked that good if it was anything else.
SO PUMPED for a season 2. I was really worried there wasn't going to be one.
9/10, only missing a 10 for some annoying plot devices. But omg, the SOUNDS of this show, im so happy i bought these really expensive head phones with the bass control...
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jul 12, 2014 1:34 AM
May 2014
For those who were unaware, Netflix includes the director's cut version of episode 12.
Jul 12, 2014 2:03 AM

Jul 2010
did anyone catch what what word was on the window at the end of the episode?

Jul 12, 2014 5:15 AM

Jul 2012
It was bit slow at times and most of the battles felt repetitive and weren't really exciting. The show didn't start to draw me in until the Hoshijiro incident. When the Hoshijiro placenta and benisuzume appeared, that's when it really perked my interest. Everything afterwards was much more exciting.

I was most impressed by the world building. All the changes to humanity were very intriguing and I can't wait to know more about Sidonia. I know a bit about what's to come and I'm very excited for it. Let see how it all plays out in season 2.

Angel_Beats said:
did anyone catch what what word was on the window at the end of the episode?

Wasn't that 'Nagate' but seen backwards?
Jul 12, 2014 11:22 AM

Jul 2010
probably, since that's all she wrote. i don't know why i couldn't figure that out, thanks lol.

Jul 14, 2014 4:05 AM

Mar 2013
That last battle was very reminiscent of the the battle against the two Death Stars.

This whole series had so much action and so much going on. It was by far the most interesting anime I've seen in the last couple seasons. I think it falls down a little when your trying to "suspend your disbelief" like how you'd think Gardes' would have flight recorders or something along those lines. But these are minor complaints.

Cannot wait for second season/10
I like fried tofu
Jul 14, 2014 11:42 AM
Jul 2012
I really enjoyed the anime. It was pretty exciting. Especially that episode where Hoshijiro and Nagate were all alone in space. It's sad that Hoshijiro had to die. I really wanted Nagate to be with her. Well actually...maybe I'll be surprised in the next season. Don't know what might happen. Her death made me pretty depressed after the announcement of her dying in the anime. Yeah... I'm not really for Izana and that green haired girl.

The 3d in this anime was well done. Although the fps or whatever made the characters movement pretty choppy the animation was well done. I was skeptic about this anime but since it came on Netflix, I decided what the hell and watched it. I'm glad that I did.

9/10
Jul 15, 2014 1:59 AM
Jun 2013
jjrocks24 said:
I really enjoyed the anime. It was pretty exciting. Especially that episode where Hoshijiro and Nagate were all alone in space. It's sad that Hoshijiro had to die. I really wanted Nagate to be with her. Well actually...maybe I'll be surprised in the next season. Don't know what might happen. Her death made me pretty depressed after the announcement of her dying in the anime. Yeah... I'm not really for Izana and that green haired girl.

The 3d in this anime was well done. Although the fps or whatever made the characters movement pretty choppy the animation was well done. I was skeptic about this anime but since it came on Netflix, I decided what the hell and watched it. I'm glad that I did.

9/10

Really Hoshijiro death made you sad? It did nothing for me since the character is a bland and boring one imo. Nothing about her stood out execpt for the way how she died which was pretty brutal.

Anywho on topic great episode. great action all around same with the space battle animation. The dam thing is still choppy during character movement though since the show has become eh to good to me I dont try to pay attention to it as much I did before. The Izana daydreaming scene was pretty funny and did he not say thanks for her saving his life?Also when did these pink hair girls become superhuman strong?wow nagate is to nice to kunato.

find it funny how nagate calls the Hoshijiro he killed not the real Hoshijiro yet hes constally seeing the other one in sidonia who is the same exact thing as this thing is. Man needs to think before he speaks. Good enough season that ill see the second when it comes.
Jul 16, 2014 7:23 AM

Jun 2011
This turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of spring. The first few episodes were off-putting due to the unconventional use of CG and slow pacing, but then it picked up at full force and never stopped delivering. It's weakest point would be how little time it spent on the character relationships but that can be given some leeway since the action sequences more than made up for that shortcoming.

This is survival story done right.
Jul 16, 2014 5:26 PM

Jul 2012
Dissent said:
This turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of spring. The first few episodes were off-putting due to the unconventional use of CG and slow pacing, but then it picked up at full force and never stopped delivering. It's weakest point would be how little time it spent on the character relationships but that can be given some leeway since the action sequences more than made up for that shortcoming.

This is survival story done right.

Exactly my thoughts!
Jul 18, 2014 10:19 PM

Aug 2013
Ffs damn that open ending q.q Loved this show since the beginning, can't wait till S2!

Was a great finale to the show. Kind of sad that Hojishiro disappeared due to the other Gauna, Benisuzume being destroyed. I think that's what happened right? Didn't see that coming at all...then again that doesn't explain the other Gauna at the end..mhmm...

I'm hoping Kunato pulls himself together now since he's been the most annoying thing to watch through out the show.

Well overall 9/10 for me.
Jul 20, 2014 7:21 AM

May 2012
Kabuto gave me cancer in this series.

Ep 12 made me jizzed, the fight against death star 10/10

The crew 10/10, funny how anyone might be able to die anytime in this series except for the main mc.

8.5/10
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jul 20, 2014 4:08 PM

Dec 2013
Really quite surprised at how much I enjoyed this show. It looked amazing, the CG effects really won me over as the season went on. The sound effects were also top notch.

I didn't find the story to be as weak as other posters here have commented, it certainly didn't blow my mind but it did serve the purpose of making me care about the characters and adding tension to the action scenes.

The last two episodes were brilliantly executed giving me vibes of NGE and Attack on Titan at the same time. Eagerly anticipating the 2nd season.

Overall 9/10.
Jul 21, 2014 7:35 PM

Aug 2013
Started interesting even though the CG turned me off at first. Ended with a bang.

Although the character's expressions looked bit awkward in CG and there were some corny moments that didn't fit, the flow with each episode kept me interested to watch more.

Wasn't amazing, but it was much better than I was expecting.
Jul 22, 2014 3:21 PM

Dec 2012
That was really, really great. From the sound, story and design all the way to the animation, this was truly a fantastic surprise. I still don't understand why people continue hating on the CGI, this anime took full use of it and used it correctly; adding to the atmosphere and depth.

I'll set this anime at an 8.5, but round it up to a solid 9 because I feel that it deserves it. Can't wait for season 2!
Jul 23, 2014 6:14 AM

Jan 2013
This is a 10/10 for me, very fresh anime IMHO, suberb on the technical side, great plot and universe, maybe after seeing the second season my score may change, but this start was very promising.

Also after watching the whole series, I've got the feeling that Shingeki no Kyojin took a lot from here, yet this anime hasn't had nearly as credit as AoT, sad. Like how for example Akai's squad was completely wiped out, if you think you'll find an analogous for those events and it's pourpose within the plot on AoT, not to talk about the very settings of the two animes.

To be fair this show also took from NGE, or you could say that it made a little homage, on the way the battle in which Hoshijiro falls it's told. And also they say they made a weapon that it's half Gauna half human and difficult to control but very powerful, sounds like Evangelion to me, not sure if they're going to show that weapon more.
Jul 23, 2014 8:43 PM

Feb 2011
This is one of the decent mecha show that i have watched lately, @ 12:56 DAT Rocketo Punch! :p I didn't know Nagate can be such a badass :) Although i didn't like that crappy distorted sound effect used during that Rocket Punch.

Overall I'm gonna give a 8.8/10 and i will definitely looking forward to the second season :D
Jul 25, 2014 9:23 PM

Apr 2013
The show is great animation and sound wise, and has a good setting and a very interesting story, but I couldn't get that much into it probably because of the characters, which I think are so far undoubtedly this show's weakest point. The MC is a bland one with questionable behavior at times (not getting mad at the person who caused the death of the person he loves, not even right after), and we don't see much of his inner thoughts so his motives go unexplained for pretty long times relatively (part of what causes him to be this bland). As for the main female characters (well one is a third sex), their main characteristic is probably their crush on the MC, not very nice characterization if you ask me. I liked Hoshijiro though, she was a little different from the other non-males in the show, and had a nice relationship with the MC. Oh there's also that one with the nice boobs.. and the ones with pink hair, yeah...

Not gonna talk about Kunato* as I'm hoping his lazy characterization will be improved in the 2nd season (we know he's going through some development, but it's barely addressed).

Another point, I disliked the harem elements in this show (although the great episode 11 made me forget about it for a bit, but I got reminded of it again this episode). I know there's kind of a reason all these non-male character would know the MC and therefore be interested in him (he's kinda famous) but it's still annoying when you see more than once or twice a character that JUST met another but still makes it very obvious that they want his D.

I'll watch the 2nd season because there're still some things in the story that interest me.
SalxerJul 26, 2014 7:48 AM
Jul 26, 2014 2:02 AM
May 2012
the sound effects for this anime trully is one of the best astonishing.
Ezsence
Jul 26, 2014 3:15 AM

Jan 2013
Salxer said:
The show is great animation and sound wise, and has a good setting and a very interesting story, but I couldn't get that much into it probably because of the characters, which I think are so far undoubtedly this show's weakest point. The MC is a bland one with questionable behavior at times (not getting mad at the person who caused the death of the person he loves, not even right after), and we don't see much of his inner thoughts so his motives go unexplained for pretty long times relatively (part of what causes him to be this bland). As for the main female characters (well one is a third sex), their main characteristic is probably their crush on the MC, not very nice characterization if you ask me. I liked Hoshijiro though, she was a little different from the other non-males in the show, and had a nice relationship with the MC. Oh there's also that one with the nice boobs.. and the ones with pink hair, yeah...

Not gonna talk about Ichirou as I'm hoping his lazy characterization will be improved in the 2nd season (we know he's going through some development, but it's barely addressed).

Another point, I disliked the harem elements in this show (although the great episode 11 made me forget about it for a bit, but I got reminded of it again this episode). I know there's kind of a reason all these non-male character would know the MC and therefore be interested in him (he's kinda famous) but it's still annoying when you see more than once or twice a character that JUST met another but still makes it very obvious that they want his D.

I'll watch the 2nd season because there're still some things in the story that interest me.

He does not really know that Kunato caused Hoshijiro to die, I mean, he got into a fight with Kunato for much less than that, so it does not make any sense.
Jul 26, 2014 7:43 AM

Apr 2013
ConfusionHaze said:
Salxer said:

Not gonna talk about Ichirou as I'm hoping his lazy characterization will be improved in the 2nd season (we know he's going through some development, but it's barely addressed).

He does not really know that Kunato caused Hoshijiro to die, I mean, he got into a fight with Kunato for much less than that, so it does not make any sense.

Really? I was under the impression that he does.. I mean Kunato told him right after not to even think about blaming him, and he only said that he only blames the enemy. If he didn't know what Kunato did, don't you think his reaction to what he said would be different (it'd be more like.. "I have no idea what you're talking about")?
Plus, I thought that when he told him this episode that he hasn't forgiven him yet he was referring to that.
Jul 29, 2014 3:14 PM
Jun 2013
Salxer said:

Not gonna talk about Kunato* as I'm hoping his lazy characterization will be improved in the 2nd season (we know he's going through some development, but it's barely addressed).

Im just surpised you find most of characters bland but say Hoshijiro was somewhat of a stand out when Personlly she was the blandest of the bunch. The only interesting thing about her is that alien clone of her and again thats not even her and is proboly just there to give the MC the realization that maybe its time to let go and stop feeling guilty for her death. I actually like yuhata and izana though I will agree they need more development but they got a little something in this first 12 episode run.
souledge94Jul 29, 2014 3:20 PM
Aug 1, 2014 11:33 AM

Apr 2013
souledge94 said:
Salxer said:

Im just surpised you find most of characters bland but say Hoshijiro was somewhat of a stand out when Personlly she was the blandest of the bunch. The only interesting thing about her is that alien clone of her and again thats not even her and is proboly just there to give the MC the realization that maybe its time to let go and stop feeling guilty for her death. I actually like yuhata and izana though I will agree they need more development but they got a little something in this first 12 episode run.

Welp. Personally I don't agree she's the blandest considering she isn't annoying and super pushy about her interest in the MC almost all the time unlike the rest. Her attitude was different, which made her stand out a bit for me (however if she continued to be on the show and her relationship with the MC continued to be the same, that might have been a bit tiring too, idk). They're all pretty much defined by their interest/relationship with the MC but yeah... Yuhata probably the least (but that doesn't say much) and Izana being the worst offender; she got a tiny bit of depth somewhere around the end but it was too unsatisfying, especially considering it came a bit late, she needs a lot more imo. We'll see how they'll do in the second season..
SalxerAug 1, 2014 11:37 AM
Aug 5, 2014 9:30 PM

Sep 2011
WOW. Just wow. Watching this has to be one of the best decisions I have ever made based on this site.

AMAZING series. I hope this doesn't stay a hidden gem and sell TONS of copies! The actions scenes were engaging, the characters were better fleshed out than most of series I know(but still not that good in some departments), the dialogues are meaningful, the BGM and sound effects are eargasmic.

Only problem with characters and animation. but in many ways, the animation proved to be a lot less problem than I thougth it would have been!

9/10 SOLID series. Can't wait for season 2!

I loved how they portrayed kunato being redeemed. Huh. He was the ONLY peson Nagate actually asked out on his initiative... But wow, the portrayal is seroiusly not one dimensional and I am happy for that.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Aug 10, 2014 7:38 AM

Oct 2009
poor man's blue gender
Aug 10, 2014 1:35 PM

Aug 2012
Pretty good. Too bad Japan still can't do full CG without the show looking choppy as hell.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Aug 16, 2014 6:25 AM

Jan 2014
ANY NEWS ON SEASON 2??
Aug 17, 2014 4:14 AM
May 2012
One of the best mecha anime I've seen this year, save for that CG that was not too appealing for me.

9/10.
Aug 29, 2014 1:54 PM

Jun 2008
So we get a second season. That is all well.
I wonder who was the female voice at the end since he killed his tentacle girlfriend(except if she escaped, i guess that could be the knew twist).

For now goodby sexy commander and mechanic, lol.
Sep 7, 2014 2:26 PM

Nov 2013
This was really good. I always feel kinda sad when an anime as good as this finishes... but at least I can look forward to season 2. Felt teary eyed at the end of this episode... great series, thank you writers.
Sep 28, 2014 1:38 PM

Jul 2012
Oct 2, 2014 2:14 AM

Aug 2010
I wish I watched this sooner I was just turned off by the animation but it's never too late to pick up a hidden gem like Knights of Sidonia. The series reminded me of Attack on Titan meets Ender's Game mostly the later.

The story concept is pretty interesting but fast paced. The characters are generic. We got a dense hero who is hell bent on destroying Gaunas and pretty much everyone around him sucks. The ideas this show deals with is what interests me the most. Human photosynthesis, longevity of life, humanity living in deep space, terraforming, third gender, cloning. What exactly are Gaunas, are they trying to communicate in a different level to complex for humanity to understand or they just hate humans? There is so much sci-fi mumbo jumbo in this show and not to mention the battle scenes are also well done.

This series is a great find and worth the watch plus Izana's piss off face is so cute!! Overall 9/10 can't wait for season 2.
Oct 6, 2014 6:19 AM

Mar 2013
HOLY.SHIT.
Oct 14, 2014 5:14 PM
Oct 2011
ouji3 said:
ex_necross said:
Your English isn't that bad. I've seen far worse from native English speakers on MAL.

Holy crap, that is a lot of people there.

Thank's ex_necross :)

All 600 tickets were sold out in less then 3 miutes.
The director also mentioned that they were able to make the DC version and season2 because sales were doing pretty good.
So I hope we can all keep up the support.

Nice! And while I'm way later than everyone else saying it, thanks for the info :)

I hope Netflix will work out a way we can get the BDs in US and hopefully they'll be able to include that extended DC version of the ep. :)
Oct 15, 2014 4:54 AM
Oct 2013
Nov 23 is sooo far away lol
Oct 18, 2014 5:17 PM

Jun 2013
This anime is rock solid!
And second season is already confirmed!
Life's good :)

8/10
Oct 24, 2014 9:14 PM

Jun 2014
Kunato should just die
Izana's jealous face was cute
It seems that Hoshijiro's clone disappeared because the other clone was defeated by Nagate

8/10
Nov 16, 2014 7:18 AM

Jun 2008
The BD of ep 12 is 32 min long, so it has some new scenes...
Baka-Tsuki discord server
Nov 26, 2014 4:05 PM

May 2012
Pretty decent ending however it ended way too open definitely opened up for a second season, if that's finished I'm sure going to watch it to see what happens next! In general this anime was better than expected as at first I didn't like the cgi and well in the end it didn't bothered me that much, the story, action and characters were pretty good so all in all a very good anime!
Dec 2, 2014 9:55 AM
May 2013
2nd Season has been confirm though
Dec 7, 2014 1:36 AM

Nov 2013
THAT FUCKING FIGHT SCENE!

THE SEASON 2 HYPE! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

As for the whole series, I really wanted to give it a 9/10 but the characters really brought it down. I couldn't even remember most of the characters names for gosh's sakes! Nevertheless, it was still a great anime and I will definitely be watching the second season.

8.5/10

Dec 8, 2014 11:48 PM

Aug 2013
This last battle scene is more than enough.....
Just look at that quality.. this is no joke wheyyy.
I need more Hoshijiro or Benisuzume whichever.. LOL.
Don't show your stupid crying face idiot.. hang yourself and make everyone happy.
I can't wait for season 2.. love this series' animation.
Jan 12, 2015 3:18 PM

Oct 2012
And it's over, at least the first half of it.
It was good in then end. The only thing I cringed to was Nagate's reconciliation with Kunato - that was really out of place and I cringed during that scene, wish he would died insted sometimes before as his meaning for story is long overdue. Other than that it was pretty good episode.

And did they destroyed that Hoshijiro's clone after they saw what Benisuzume managed to do in fight or had she ran away during power shortage? Second season can't come soon enough.

7/10
Jan 14, 2015 4:28 PM

Jun 2010
wow what a fun ride, the fight throughout the series was full with intensity, espcially the finale
the amount of pilot casualty they took this ep was massive!
getting geared up for s2
overall 8/10!
MechaMeisterJan 12, 2019 2:54 PM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2014

267 by Creepyy »»
Oct 19, 6:50 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

304 by setarcos »»
Jun 9, 4:29 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.