Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 9, 2015 1:28 AM
Jul 2010
It felt like they just showed fanservice oriented BD OVA. "Fantastic" way to get people interested in your new series. It was watchable though, but i refuse to call this as a worthy thing to be showed in NoitaminA slot. Maybe TV series will be OK (with these characters i doubt that), it's just that the start was really not what i was expecting.
Why not something like Death Parade is on NoitaminA for example and this is?
Jan 9, 2015 1:37 AM

Feb 2008
It likes to think it's witty, anyway.

I would continue watching the main series if the protagonist wasn't completely worthless.
Jan 9, 2015 1:54 AM

Aug 2012
UTAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
Best anime. No doubt.

But seriously... that character design looks so lame.
Jan 9, 2015 2:11 AM

Mar 2012
Hmmm, well this didn't really impress me too much, but I'm gonna reserve judgment until I actually see the series. Just from the summary, I'm hoping for something a lot more than what this prologue/special episode gave us. Still fun enough watch I guess. Utaha's character design does hit a lot of the right buttons for me. xD
Jan 9, 2015 2:51 AM
Jul 2018
So many fanservice,
and Megumi best girl
Jan 9, 2015 5:15 AM

Nov 2011
MoeGod said:
See, I think everyone needs to be paying attention to what Eriri said in the first few minutes. It ironically flew over the heads of most people here.

I was actually coming back here to point that out since I had a fridge logic moment, but it looks like you beat me to it.

I'll explain. To others, read at your own risk.

TripleSRankJan 9, 2015 5:24 AM
Jan 9, 2015 5:26 AM

Dec 2012
TripleSRank said:

Exactly, but some people(probably the fans) here somehow make that scene a justification of how mediocre this 1st episode is. It's like I cannot criticize this episode just because this episode is fully aware of its own mediocrity.

And for the fans, do not worry, I am still giving this anime show a chance.
I like anime.
Jan 9, 2015 5:39 AM

Nov 2011
Pat_To_Do-List said:
TripleSRank said:

Exactly, but some people(probably the fans) here somehow make that scene a justification of how mediocre this 1st episode is. It's like I cannot criticize this episode just because this episode is fully aware of its own mediocrity.

And for the fans, do not worry, I am still giving this anime show a chance.

I definitely agree. It doesn't excuse this episode for being bad. Like a said before, self-awareness only works when it's used to create amusement; instead, this used it's self-awareness as an excuse to shove typical uninspired ecchi fanservice at us. They need to... well, actually be clever about it, instead of pretending to be clever about it.
Jan 9, 2015 5:39 AM

Dec 2014
Best girl= quiet girl
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 5:42 AM

Apr 2013
no harem genre gives me some hope.

was pretty funny. fanservice was pretty blatant though especially when the series is trying to play the self awareness joke card.

feel like no fanservice and the focus being on them being a doujin circle making a game would make a better series
Jan 9, 2015 6:28 AM

Oct 2013
utaha best grill right here *A*

Jan 9, 2015 8:18 AM

Jan 2014
I see it not as harem, but more as parody of harem.
Really loved it.
Jan 9, 2015 8:25 AM

Jul 2013
aaaaand expectations were shattered.

Tits pulled me in but at the end no amount of tits could convince me to continue this episode. It got boring real fast :/
Jan 9, 2015 8:41 AM

Dec 2011
Some All of those voices are very very different to how I imagined them... The character designs are more than a little different as well.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 9, 2015 9:02 AM

Apr 2013
Let's see if the main show is different in style or not, but I would watch it like that. Would like some fanservice this season without magical school stuff...
Jan 9, 2015 10:25 AM

Jan 2014
Too much EcchiHarem anime in this winter .. -____-
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 11:00 AM

Aug 2013
Oh damn fuck, best girl war incoming!!! Hide yo wife, hide yo kids!

Well, it was a fun introduction, if not productive. It was pretty much just to introduce the characters.

Also, dat fanservice... I'm pretty sure I know where all their budget went.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 9, 2015 11:22 AM

May 2011
One of the best parts about not reading the synopsis before watching are the surprises you get when you watch.

I see the first scene and I'm thinking, "Oh. Okay."

I have no complaints about fanservice as long as it's enjoyable. So far, it's been enjoyable.
Jan 9, 2015 11:24 AM

Nov 2013
i'm going balls deep into this series, no fucks given, it's all about the best girl which is quite obviously

Wish the main dude wasn't a super beta nerd though, he needs to get a grip and accept the childhood friend into his heart
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 9, 2015 12:09 PM

May 2009
Gifs and stitches

bastek66Jan 9, 2015 12:13 PM
Jan 9, 2015 1:39 PM

Jan 2014
Good harem,good character art...Will watch...(Wtf you guys expect from a harem show guys?Seriously?)
Jan 9, 2015 3:39 PM

Aug 2014
- quite a bit of fan service and we haven't even gotten anywhere yet; sweet
- OP is okay
- art is pretty decent so far
- there seems to be a lot of VA's that I like, so that's a good thing
- dialogue is pretty funny
- damn, all the females are kawaii pies
- Utaha = best girl; red eyes = hnggggg (Michiru is a damn close second though)
- ED is decent as well

looking forward to the main series after watching this.
Jan 9, 2015 5:06 PM

Apr 2012
well it's like a OVA episode

i quite enjoy the fanservice B)
I like the ED song :D

overall is nice episode

Jan 9, 2015 8:49 PM

Oct 2010
The heroines aren't annoying, what a god send. Plus I don't get lectured by the main characters on the truths of social justice and friendship.

+2 I'm loving it.
Jan 9, 2015 9:59 PM

Dec 2012
LonelyWizard said:
(Wtf you guys expect from a harem show guys?Seriously?)

A good harem anime show.
I like anime.
Jan 9, 2015 10:09 PM

Jul 2013
TripleSRank said:
MoeGod said:
See, I think everyone needs to be paying attention to what Eriri said in the first few minutes. It ironically flew over the heads of most people here.

I was actually coming back here to point that out since I had a fridge logic moment, but it looks like you beat me to it.

err.. I assume that anyone who braved themselves to watch this must have watched a decent amount of ecchi-harem shows.

This anime is every bit of everything you can expect from an ecchi-harem show. Most of these shows are average to bad, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.. a masterpiece? a good anime? of course it is bad! Even if I like this kind of show I can't pretend that it's not bad. I usually give shows like this 6 at most but very often 4 or 5. Some like TLR Darkness or DxD I would rate highly because they are superior to its peers and then there's masterpiece like Monogatari but these anime are exceptions rather than the rule. It doesn't change the fact that I still enjoy the average ones, even if only for the fan service and the few bits of cute romantic moments.

They are self-aware that it's gonna look bad at first glance but this is true for most shows in this genre and I would assume anyone who pick this up is at least aware of this basic fact. Eriri's dig is that some people just tend to generalize that ecchi = bad but that'd be like saying that every dark anime is automatically superior to other genre and we know that's not true.

The problem is, despite knowing an anime is going to have nudity & harem, some people still went into it and then complain that an ecchi-harem shows have... ecchi and harem. They automatically assume that it's bad and went into the usual tirade (one that's repeated over and over like a broken record) like the few ones you see on this thread. Somehow there's always one or two of this type of people present in this kind of anime's thread. I said that Eriri's dig flew over the head of some people because even if they claim to have realized what she was trying to say, they (inexplicably) still stayed for the episode despite knowing what's in it for them and then (surprise, surprise) went into the usual tirade like a broken record (again).

Eriri's dig wasn't to justify that this show is gonna be "bad", it's a dig for people like you or pat. I glanced at your list and why am I not surprised that I found very little to none ecchi harem show. Pat does have a few (though not quite enough to be called an ecchi harem lover) but I would question the judgement of someone who can give IS an 8 and call Absolute Duo neither special nor annoying but somehow got annoyed at this anime where (for once) the MC already has a specific target in mind.
MoeGodJan 9, 2015 11:28 PM
Jan 9, 2015 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
AOTS
Jan 10, 2015 12:06 AM
Nov 2013
The girls seem decent enough but the self-awareness isn't funny at all, I hope they stop doing that for the main series.
Jan 10, 2015 12:20 AM

Dec 2012
MoeGod said:
err.. I assume that anyone who braved themselves to watch this must have watched a decent amount of ecchi-harem shows.

This anime is every bit of everything you can expect from an ecchi-harem show. Most of these shows are average to bad, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.. a masterpiece? a good anime? of course it is bad! Even if I like this kind of show I can't pretend that it's not bad. I usually give shows like this 6 at most but very often 4 or 5. Some like TLR Darkness or DxD I would rate highly because they are superior to its peers and then there's masterpiece like Monogatari but these anime are exceptions rather than the rule. It doesn't change the fact that I still enjoy the average ones, even if only for the fan service and the few bits of cute romantic moments.

They are self-aware that it's gonna look bad at first glance but this is true for most shows in this genre and I would assume anyone who pick this up is at least aware of this basic fact. Eriri's dig is that some people just tend to generalize that ecchi = bad but that'd be like saying that every dark anime is automatically superior to other genre and we know that's not true.

The problem is, despite knowing an anime is going to have nudity & harem, some people still went into it and then complain that an ecchi-harem shows have... ecchi and harem. They automatically assume that it's bad and went into the usual tirade (one that's repeated over and over like a broken record) like the few ones you see on this thread. Somehow there's always one or two of this type of people present in this kind of anime's thread. I said that Eriri's dig flew over the head of some people because even if they claim to have realized what she was trying to say, they (inexplicably) still stayed for the episode despite knowing what's in it for them and then (surprise, surprise) went into the usual tirade like a broken record (again).

Eriri's dig wasn't to justify that this show is gonna be "bad", it's a dig for people like you or pat. I glanced at your list and why am I not surprised that I found very little to none ecchi harem show. Pat does have a few (though not quite enough to be called an ecchi harem lover) but I would question the judgement of someone who can give IS an 8 and call Absolute Duo neither special nor annoying but somehow got annoyed at this anime where (for once) the MC already has a specific target in mind.

I see, so this is a bad anime show. Thank you for the heads up there. Now, I can set my expectation properly for this show.
Yeah, some people just like to complain about the ecchi/harem aspect on ecchi-harem anime shows. I think it's pretty unfair.
Have you watched IS though?

Look, I know you are a huge fan of this series(at least based on how irritated you are when this show get criticized), but to attack the ones who criticized this show rather than explaining why this anime is worth the watch is not helping anyone. I am really getting tired of fanboys who just there to attack the people who disagree with them.
And I am pretty confused on how you are saying this anime show is bad but still get mad when people saying this episode is not good.
I like anime.
Jan 10, 2015 2:26 AM

May 2013
Tomoya's position and relationship with each of the girls are admirable. Even so, I feel bad for him a little because of him being the one chased. I was expecting that he had to get the girl one by one like his game.

Yeah, Utaha best girl. :)
Jan 10, 2015 2:33 AM

Jul 2013
Pat_To_Do-List said:

I see, so this is a bad anime show. Thank you for the heads up there. Now, I can set my expectation properly for this show.
Yeah, some people just like to complain about the ecchi/harem aspect on ecchi-harem anime shows. I think it's pretty unfair.
Have you watched IS though?

Look, I know you are a huge fan of this series(at least based on how irritated you are when this show get criticized), but to attack the ones who criticized this show rather than explaining why this anime is worth the watch is not helping anyone. I am really getting tired of fanboys who just there to attack the people who disagree with them.
And I am pretty confused on how you are saying this anime show is bad but still get mad when people saying this episode is not good.

First of all I'm neither a fan of this nor have I read the novel. I was merely talking about this genre in general because really, objectively speaking, a harem with ecchi is almost always bad. It's a guilty pleasure genre. It does however, get very irritating when people don't seem to realize this.

Will this be good? I don't know, go watch and judge it for yourself. For now it seems to be like any normal show in this genre. My prediction is that this will be just average, maybe like Jinsei or Inou Battle from last season except with much more ecchi. This kind of show won't really appeal to you until you've warmed up to the cast. Plus from my experience, any episode that was pre-aired before the real episode 1 is never a good indicator of what you can expect from the show.

All I'm saying is stop putting so much expectation but at the same time try not to have a preconception that this show is bad due to whatever stigma that you have (which is what Eriri was trying to say). This is what I do every time I watch an ecchi show. If I can't stand it later on I'll just drop it, simple as that. I went into this show not knowing anything except reading the synopsis and if you've watched enough of this genre, you'd see that this episode seems pretty okay compared to what you could get from the countless ecchi harem title out there (have you seen Walkure Romanze? now that is a truly bad ecchi!).

I dropped IS halfway through cos I can't stand the MC. I did the same with Freezing, Maken-ki, and many other ecchi shows. Sometimes this kind of thing can be unbearable due to the MCs or the horrible fan service. I've learned my lessons from Kanokon.
Jan 10, 2015 2:51 AM

Nov 2011
MoeGod said:
TripleSRank said:

Why would you assume that? There's no reason to.

This only had the comedy tag when I watched it, and there was a bit of controversy over it being a parody. I shouldn't (and don't) have to justify myself for picking up a show and not liking it, but if you must know, that's what caught my attention. Also, if you had read my first post in this thread, you would know that I said I hadn't initially planned on watching this anyway.

Now that we're done attacking me for watching this, let's look at your rebuttal in pieces.

MoeGod said:

So you agree with me that most ecchi shows are average to bad. That saves a lot of time.

MoeGod said:

More baseless assumptions... Ecchi often looks bad because it often is bad. You admitted it yourself. Did I say every ecchi must be bad? (No, no I did not.) That doesn't mean this ecchi parody is good though. This too looks bad because it doesn't do anything different in addition to having poor parody elements, meaning it is bad.

MoeGod said:

Firstly, not everyone knew that. Secondly, most people were criticizing it as a parody because that's what the show was attempting to be, an ecchi parody. Also, even if this wasn't a parody, fanservice can be good or bad depending on how it's implemented into the show. In this case it was implemented poorly, as were the parody elements.

Again, pointing out that most ecchi is bad doesn't mean this ecchi is good. Self-awareness is a tool, not an excuse.

MoeGod said:

How exactly did her comment "dig" me? It didn't dig me any more than it did you, since you also say most ecchi is bad. The show is merely acknowledging to the viewer that it knows it's crap, in hopes of making said viewer think it'll do something clever as a result of its self-awareness. Of course, those who like ecchi fanservice will likely like the show either way, whether they catch the dialogue's meaning or not. That's why I said it had a modicum of cleverness to it.

Also, I'm familiar with more harem than my list implies; I used to watch more back when I was new to anime; those aren't on my list (Love Hina, H20, and Kanon, for example). Besides that, the ecchi and harem genres are amongst the most blatant when it comes to recycling tropes, meaning you "learn" the genre a lot faster: You don't need genre familiarity to know how stories work, but to know the common tropes and devices. Said blatant recycling is also why most of the shows in the genre are average or worse.

Claiming I'm not familiar enough doesn't work. Attack my arguments, not me.
TripleSRankJan 10, 2015 3:02 AM
Jan 10, 2015 3:12 AM

Nov 2011
I don't see the basis of releasing prequels before the show airs, cause if this is bad, it potentially scares people from checking out the actual series.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 10, 2015 3:26 AM

Dec 2012
MoeGod said:
First of all I'm neither a fan of this nor have I read the novel. I was merely talking about this genre in general because really, objectively speaking, a harem with ecchi is almost always bad. It's a guilty pleasure genre. It does however, get very irritating when people don't seem to realize this.

Will this be good? I don't know, go watch and judge it for yourself. For now it seems to be like any normal show in this genre. My prediction is that this will be just average, maybe like Jinsei or Inou Battle from last season except with much more ecchi. This kind of show won't really appeal to you until you've warmed up to the cast. Plus from my experience, any episode that was pre-aired before the real episode 1 is never a good indicator of what you can expect from the show.

All I'm saying is stop putting so much expectation but at the same time try not to have a preconception that this show is bad due to whatever stigma that you have (which is what Eriri was trying to say). This is what I do every time I watch an ecchi show. If I can't stand it later on I'll just drop it, simple as that. I went into this show not knowing anything except reading the synopsis and if you've watched enough of this genre, you'd see that this episode seems pretty okay compared to what you could get from the countless ecchi harem title out there (have you seen Walkure Romanze? now that is a truly bad ecchi!).

I dropped IS halfway through cos I can't stand the MC. I did the same with Freezing, Maken-ki, and many other ecchi shows. Sometimes this kind of thing can be unbearable due to the MCs or the horrible fan service. I've learned my lessons from Kanokon.

I do realize that, but that does not mean I cannot criticize this show. And I have not said anything about how bad this anime show is because of the ecchi/harem stuff.I did say, "At first I thought there couldn't be a more generic harem 1st episode than Absolute Duo. After watching this, I know how wrong I was." But that's a legitimate criticism. Because this kind of "generic" problem not only happened in the harem genre, but also in school themed, mecha, etc. The 1st episode of generic school themed anime show --> The protagonist start the day, eating some breakfast with his family, met with his close friend, talking about homework/something school related(but not plot related), the recess scene where the other friends approached the protagonist & start talking about something plot related, & so on. The 1st episode of generic mecha anime show --> Showed(sometimes even pushing it too hard by showing how weak he is) how normal the protagonist is, explanation about the conflict within the universe, the problem unexpectedly arrived right at the front of the protagonist's doorstep, the protagonist suddenly had the ability to drive a mecha, & so on. It's not that I despise these generic 1st episodes, it's just that if some anime really had to use this kind of generic first episode, just make it feel different. Do not just blatantly use the generic 1st episode recipe.

I have said it before, I know episode 0 means nothing to the series overall, but to say episode 0 does not reflect the quality/atmosphere/the real deal is nonsense. "Did you like/hate episode 0 of our TV series? Well, do not worry, because that episode is nothing like what you will be watching for the next 12 episodes. We made that episode so different because . . . well . . . because we could." Does that sound weird to you? And could you mention some episode 0's that really different compared to the "real TV series?"

See, even you hate the generic harem protagonist & even as far as questioned the judgement from someone who does not mind that kind of protagonist. So what's wrong with me not liking this episode?

TripleSRank said:
Attack my arguments, not me.

Exactly. Thank you. I hope every MAL user sees this piece of advice & take it to the heart.
Pat_To_Do-ListJan 10, 2015 4:18 AM
I like anime.
Jan 10, 2015 3:29 AM
Oct 2014
Zee530 said:
I don't see the basis of releasing prequels before the show airs, cause if this is bad, it potentially scares people from checking out the actual series.

+1
Jan 10, 2015 4:20 AM

Feb 2014
MoeGod said:

This episode was just a (bad) parody. The real stuff have nothing to do with harem, according to LN-fags.

MoeGod said:
Eriri's dig is that some people just tend to generalize that ecchi = bad but that'd be like saying that every dark anime is automatically superior to other genre and we know that's not true.

Not true, by the way. By dark anime you mean the horror-like genres?

-
On another note, I don't find necessary to criticize the obvious bad things to the core or find it unaceptable (unless you're actually paying real money to see it), in a way every little experience with any media can be counted as an experience., and sometimes they can bring up something you never thought before.
They acclaim to be self-aware about their own mediocrity, but don't you think this is only directed to this show? For me this is targeted at the whole scene. Couldn't this be their way to tell everyone that they don't really like to work in these kind of stories or even small pledge that people will demand for complex stories in the future? Thats how I think we should interpret this big pile of shit and move up.
Jan 10, 2015 5:03 AM

Oct 2013
Okay, gonna keep this simple, as if fitting for such shows:

Basically, we have Aki Tomoya,(which I'll probably refer to as Kirito-kun as it's the same VA), a genuine & proud otaku, that's out to create a game with his circle of female otaku & non-otaku members.

But my preferred version would be that we're in for fun times with otaku Kirito-kun & his harem. The fanservice seems pretty well-handled & the show seems to be self-aware at times, which is always a plus in my book.

As with most of the harem,ecchi anime that do show some potential, the 1st episode was pretty fun and definitely deserving of at least a 3 ep rule. There's always the risk of it getting boring & repetitive as it moves along tho', but we'll see.

And oh yea, Utaha best girl.

But more important, mr.Maruto Fumiaki. WHERE'S MY 2ND SEASON OF WHITE ALBUM 2? I'm starting to loose hope here.
Jan 10, 2015 5:03 AM

Dec 2012
So many fanservices (>.<). It was ok, I like the voice of the main character (Yoshitsugu Matsuoka).
Jan 10, 2015 6:37 AM

Aug 2014
It was a kinda interesting. This story reminds me the anime Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, probably because they're trying to create something good which can get interests to other persons. :)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 10, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2013
TripleSRank said:
snip

Say what? this was clearly tagged as ecchi. Not the main show maybe, but this http://myanimelist.net/anime/29317/Saenai_Heroine_no_Sodatekata:_Ai_to_Seishun_no_Service_Kai clearly has the ecchi tag.

I've always thought it takes a special kind of idiot not to know that you're gonna get ecchi when you watch an ecchi show. (since you said "not everyone knew that")

In any case what you thought was a bad parody is also not something that everyone must agree with. Personally I don't see how this was even a parody other than acknowledging about common tropes and misconception while making fun of it, which has been done in many other shows before but you wouldn't really call those shows a full-fledged parody (Outbreak Company, Gekkan Shoujo, Mangaka-san or the recently airing Denki gai for example even TWGOK). It's something that has been used many times but somehow you over-think it as if the show was purposely trying justify itself for being bad. Me? I just pass it as the type of comedy that's normally done by this type of otaku-centric show. Not enough to make me laugh but also not enough to warrant a tirade on this forum.

I also pointed out that you weren't familiar with this genre not to attack you persoanlly but because I believe you lack the necessary experience (in the ecchi harem AND comedy genre) to support that kind of argument. I for one, would not categorized this show in the same bracket as Kanon or Love Hina, the harem aspect maybe similar but the ecchi level & the comedy? not even close. If the main show doesn't have the same level of ecchi then yeah maybe they're similar but this episode 0? it's more similar to Ladies vs Butlers, Dragonar, Yuushibu, or those with similar amount and type of ecchi. I also had to point that if you think the fan service in this episode is bad then you haven't really seen what a truly bad fan service is, go watch Sekaide Ichiban or Walkure Romanze to see what I mean. The comedy itself is more similar to those shows I mentioned in the above paragraph compared to Kanon/Love Hina.

Now IF the real show is nowhere near like this like those who have read the LN claimed, that it was a normal romcom anime without ecchi, then it merely reinforce my argument that Eriri's comment was a dig at people who jumped the gun by saying this and that about the "bad" fan service or bad "parody" without actually bothering to wait or look at the real product. But hey, if you still think it's a purposely bad parody then suit yourself.

Oh and Pat, you're free to think that Absolute Duo is less generic than this. It's simply a matter of different tolerance and opinion (like how you think IS is good while I think it's crap). You have watched this kind of show before so you'd probably be irritated if let's say someone watched the first episode of IS and said "it's crap" cos of the bad fan service (even I wouldn't do that). As for example of why not to judge a show based on episode 0, you probably wouldn't be able to appreciate Kyosou Giga if you only watched its episode 0 (as you'd probably be confused and said WTF is this) or maybe Wake Up Girls (although it's more like a short movie rather than episode 0). Then there's Mijikamon & the series of OVA before Mahouka aired that really doesn't reflect the quality or the actual story in the anime itself.
MoeGodJan 10, 2015 7:32 AM
Jan 10, 2015 7:04 AM

Feb 2014
MoeGod said:

Say what? this was clearly tagged as ecchi. Not the main show maybe, but this http://myanimelist.net/anime/29317/Saenai_Heroine_no_Sodatekata:_Ai_to_Seishun_no_Service_Kai clearly has the ecchi tag.

Those tags were added after subs came out. Before all it had was "Comedy, Drama, Romance".
Jan 10, 2015 7:08 AM

Jan 2013
Another lousy harem ecchi anime with the MP having the voice of Kirito. This season really disappoints me so far.

Jan 10, 2015 7:12 AM

Jul 2013
surfboard_ said:
MoeGod said:

Those tags were added after subs came out. Before all it had was "Comedy, Drama, Romance".

Well that sucks for you but there's always the X mark on your media player if you really can't stand this type of show. I don't need to watch 20+ minutes of a mecha anime from Sunrise to know I was going to hate it.
Jan 10, 2015 7:21 AM

Feb 2014
MoeGod said:
Well that sucks for you but there's always the X mark on your media player if you really can't stand this type of show. I don't need to watch 20+ minutes of a mecha anime from Sunrise to know I was going to hate it.

Are you implying that A-1 is synonym for harem and ecchi?
Jan 10, 2015 7:26 AM

Jul 2013
surfboard_ said:
MoeGod said:

Are you implying that A-1 is synonym for harem and ecchi?

No, of course not. I agree you might have been misled by the tag before this but you shouldn't need to watch the whole episode to know you're gonna hate it if you can't stand this type of otaku-mocking comedy (and I agree this kind of comedy isn't always funny and I'm more intrigued by the romance between Sato and the MC anyway) or the blatant fan service. I used Sunrise example because I never liked their show no matter how many of them I tried to watch so if there's another coming out I don't even need to watch the whole thing to know I was gonna hate it anyway.

I'm not gonna watch Free only to complain that it looks gay and even I was recently fooled by Bakumatsu Rock but I didn't complain about how gay it was, just silently dropped the anime.
MoeGodJan 10, 2015 7:37 AM
Jan 10, 2015 7:45 AM

Dec 2012
MoeGod said:
Oh and Pat, you're free to think that Absolute Duo is less generic than this. It's simply a matter of different tolerance and opinion (like how you think IS is good while I think it's crap). You have watched this kind of show before so you'd probably be irritated if let's say someone watched the first episode of IS and said "it's crap" cos of the bad fan service (even I wouldn't do that). As for example of why not to judge a show based on episode 0, you probably wouldn't be able to appreciate Kyosou Giga if you only watched its episode 0 (as you'd probably be confused and said WTF is this) or maybe Wake Up Girls (although it's more like a short movie rather than episode 0). Then there's Mijikamon & the series of OVA before Mahouka aired that really doesn't reflect the quality or the actual story in the anime itself.

Have I ever really said this episode was bad because of the fan service? Have I really?

But is the episode 0 of Kyousou Giga that different compared to the TV series atmosphere/content-wise?

Wake Up Girls --> That is a movie, not episode 0.
Mijikamon --> not even close to an episode. That is just an extra series.
The series of ONA before Mahouka --> Again, not episode 0. Just an extra series.
So you only have Kyousou Giga as a proof that episode 0 does not reflect the overall series, & that proof is not even that strong. Could you mention more?
I like anime.
Jan 10, 2015 8:05 AM

Jul 2013
Pat_To_Do-List said:

Have I ever really said this episode was bad because of the fan service? Have I really?

But is the episode 0 of Kyousou Giga that different compared to the TV series atmosphere/content-wise?

Wake Up Girls --> That is a movie, not episode 0.
Mijikamon --> not even close to an episode. That is just an extra series.
The series of ONA before Mahouka --> Again, not episode 0. Just an extra series.
So you only have Kyousou Giga as a proof that episode 0 does not reflect the overall series, & that proof is not even that strong. Could you mention more?

Did I even accuse you of hating this show because of fan service? I only used IS as an example of jumping the gun. This whole argument was about how we interpret Eriri's comment at the beginning of the show, I thought it was mocking people who deride this show for it's so-called bad fan service or those who jumped the gun by assuming something is bad only because the initial episode is bad (that was my initial comment's intention) it was you who somehow took the offense. I used IS because I thought you'd understand how it feels if anyone automatically put down an ecchi show as bad due to its ecchi nature and not bother to find out more (again, similar case but of different nature than the one we are currently arguing about).

It's been quite some time since I watched it but if I only judge it with episode 0 then I wouldn't have watched Kyousou Giga. There are probably other examples of this (episode 0 is quite rare) that I don't remember right now or didn't watch but the point is, it's not always good to judge a series based on its initial episode (be it episode 0 or episode 1) unless it's something that you really can't stand. Someone did mention that the LN itself is different so my argument may not be that far off the mark.
MoeGodJan 10, 2015 8:08 AM
Jan 10, 2015 8:27 AM

Dec 2012
MoeGod said:
Did I even accuse you of hating this show because of fan service? I only used IS as an example of jumping the gun. This whole argument was about how we interpret Eriri's comment at the beginning of the show, I thought it was mocking people who deride this show for it's so-called bad fan service or those who jumped the gun by assuming something is bad only because the initial episode is bad (that was my initial comment's intention) it was you who somehow took the offense. I used IS because I thought you'd understand how it feels if anyone automatically put down an ecchi show as bad due to its ecchi nature and not bother to find out more (again, similar case but of different nature than the one we are currently arguing about).

It's been quite some time since I watched it but if I only judge it with episode 0 then I wouldn't have watched Kyousou Giga. There are probably other examples of this (episode 0 is quite rare) that I don't remember right now or didn't watch but the point is, it's not always good to judge a series based on its initial episode (be it episode 0 or episode 1) unless it's something that you really can't stand. Someone did mention that the LN itself is different so my argument may not be that far off the mark.

So you are saying that I accused the whole series as a bad series? Again, have I ever really said that?
Judge a series? I judged this episode alone, not the overall series. Yes, I said this episode may reflect the atmosphere/quality/content of the "real series," but did I say anything about this series as a whole is bad because this one episode?
Pat_To_Do-ListJan 10, 2015 8:32 AM
I like anime.
Jan 10, 2015 8:51 AM

Jul 2013
Pat_To_Do-List said:

So you are saying that I accused the whole series as a bad series? Again, have I ever really said that?
Judge a series? I judged this episode alone, not the overall series. Yes, I said this episode may reflect the atmosphere/quality/content of the "real series," but did I say anything about this series as a whole is bad because this one episode?

Tomato, tomatoes. Same thing, different way of saying. Maybe that wasn't your intention but don't be surprised if others get the wrong idea especially if you said it that way.
Jan 10, 2015 12:24 PM

Nov 2011
MoeGod said:

I've always thought it takes a special kind of idiot not to know that you're gonna get ecchi when you watch an ecchi show. (since you said "not everyone knew that")

Are you really just going to keep insulting me? You aren't going to get anywhere that way. As surfboard mentioned, the ecchi tags weren't there at first, but even if they were, that's not the point.

MoeGod said:

I guess I'm not as biased as you are, then. I don't write off a show based on its genre alone, and I usually stick around for multiple episodes before deciding whether something is worth my time. Again, I don't have to justify my reasons for watching this to you, yet I already did in the previous post out of courtesy. If you're going to ignore that and just keep bashing me because you don't like how I watch anime, then this probably won't go anywhere.

MoeGod said:
In any case what you thought was a bad parody is also not something that everyone must agree with. Personally I don't see how this was even a parody other than acknowledging about common tropes and misconception while making fun of it, which has been done in many other shows before but you wouldn't really call those shows a full-fledged parody (Outbreak Company, Gekkan Shoujo, Mangaka-san or the recently airing Denki gai for example even TWGOK). It's something that has been used many times but somehow you over-think it as if the show was purposely trying justify itself for being bad. Me? I just pass it as the type of comedy that's normally done by this type of otaku-centric show. Not enough to make me laugh but also not enough to warrant a tirade on this forum.

Did I ever say you had to agree with me? It seems more like you're implying I have to agree with you, which I don't. Do you actually want to discuss this with me?

The italicized portion is the definition of a parody. I criticized this (and continue to do so) as a parody first and foremost, though this isn't particularly good as a normal ecchi either.

It's called meta-humor, guy. It's making fun of itself. Said meta-humor continues throughout the rest of the episode, such as during the introduction on the train or during the forest scene with Utaha. Said meta humor wasn't very good overall; it was decent in the first scene but quickly lost its novelty due to the dry presentation. (Again, I've already said this in my first post. Did you even read it?)

And finally, I'm not going on a tirade. The less I care for something, the more I detach myself from it; it is very rare for me to "hate on" anything, regardless of my criticisms. My initial exposition of your post was expressing mild interest, believe it or not, but you chose to interpret it in the most negative way possible. If anything, you're the one making a tirade (against me).

MoeGod said:
I also pointed out that you weren't familiar with this genre not to attack you persoanlly but because I believe you lack the necessary experience (in the ecchi harem AND comedy genre) to support that kind of argument. I for one, would not categorized this show in the same bracket as Kanon or Love Hina, the harem aspect maybe similar but the ecchi level & the comedy? not even close. If the main show doesn't have the same level of ecchi then yeah maybe they're similar but this episode 0? it's more similar to Ladies vs Butlers, Dragonar, Yuushibu, or those with similar amount and type of ecchi. I also had to point that if you think the fan service in this episode is bad then you haven't really seen what a truly bad fan service is, go watch Sekaide Ichiban or Walkure Romanze to see what I mean. The comedy itself is more similar to those shows I mentioned in the above paragraph compared to Kanon/Love Hina.

Which argument needs to be supported by genre experience? If you're just referring to the "bad fanservice" part, then please note that calling something bad doesn't mean there isn't something worse. I purposefully avoid those shows most of the time because of said horrible fanservice; I'd simply be wasting my time when I could be watching something better.

MoeGod said:
Now IF the real show is nowhere near like this like those who have read the LN claimed, that it was a normal romcom anime without ecchi, then it merely reinforce my argument that Eriri's comment was a dig at people who jumped the gun by saying this and that about the "bad" fan service or bad "parody" without actually bothering to wait or look at the real product. But hey, if you still think it's a purposely bad parody then suit yourself.

Actually, that would make me all the more justified in judging this episode standalone. I haven't even criticized the main show yet; I simply made a prediction based on the meta humor present in this episode, and I still feel it's quite likely to be true. Eiri's comment is part of the meta humor.

As for calling it a bad parody, I never said it was purposefully a bad parody. It was purposefully a bad ecchi in an attempt to be a good parody via meta humor, but said meta humor was bad overall (only the first scene/conversation was somewhat good).

MoeGod said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I would like to note again that I haven't judged the whole show yet. Don't put words in my mouth. This episode was bad. The whole anime may or may not be.

MoeGod said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:

Tomato, tomatoes. Same thing, different way of saying. Maybe that wasn't your intention but don't be surprised if others get the wrong idea especially if you said it that way.

It's not the same thing. Like I said before, you're interpreting our comments in the most negative fashion possible and adding additional meaning that isn't present.

Edit:
surfboard_ said:
They acclaim to be self-aware about their own mediocrity, but don't you think this is only directed to this show? For me this is targeted at the whole scene. Couldn't this be their way to tell everyone that they don't really like to work in these kind of stories or even small pledge that people will demand for complex stories in the future? Thats how I think we should interpret this big pile of shit and move up.

I'm okay with looking at it this way; you may be right.
TripleSRankJan 10, 2015 12:29 PM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.