Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 13, 2014 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was an alright episode, felt a bit slow though but it's good to see everyone working on schedule.

I kinda like the way Yuka-sensei takes in charge of the studio members. The driving as usual is short and intense. Aoi, slow down lmao
Nov 13, 2014 9:08 AM

Jan 2012
And so the great 2D vs. 3D conflict is resolved by going back to the origins of their passion with anime. I hope good things start happening for Shizuka too.
Nov 13, 2014 9:14 AM

Oct 2012
Nice and slow episode.
Oh god, Initial D moe is back!:

I liked that scene, Idepon Miyamori (lol) driving style is really aggressive.
Finally they solved that 3d vs drawn animation battle :).
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Nov 13, 2014 9:15 AM

Jul 2010
The director being a jailbreak from his cell! It was nice to see the director finally running his engine to get the storyboard done!

I enjoyed Takanashi ringing the bell, he just looked... funny.

Shimoyanagi and Endou finding a mutual ground between each other. Liked how Takanashi was wrong about anything xD Their passion completely breaking through the tension they had!

Both of them willing to learn more from what they lack at the end.
Nov 13, 2014 9:39 AM

Jun 2012
Segawa-san saving the day with that suggestion to Aoi-chan
Nov 13, 2014 9:43 AM

Aug 2008
More Segawa-san is always welcome.

And the last few seconds with the explosion cuts were beautiful. just...beautiful.
Nov 13, 2014 9:46 AM

Aug 2013
So, they found a common theme in origins of their passion huh?
Nice :)
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 13, 2014 9:55 AM

Aug 2010
A newly born BROMANCE :D

Kantoku also seems to have finally started working hard ^^
Nov 13, 2014 11:12 AM

Jul 2014
Another great episode.

Go Idepon Miyamori.
Nov 13, 2014 1:07 PM

May 2008
A P.A. Works anime is probably the last place I thought I'd see a reference to an existentialistic European absurdist play from the fifties.

"All right. Let's die"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot
Nov 13, 2014 1:08 PM

Jan 2013
Poor Shizuka, it looks like she has no luck.
Nice episode, finally every thing's settled.
Nov 13, 2014 1:26 PM

Dec 2013
I really hope that Japan doesn't outright abandon 2D in favor of 3D, It would suck to see it happen.

Dat jailbreak tho lol.
Nov 13, 2014 2:03 PM

Apr 2010
So Miyamori saved the day in the end.
Still this episode made me wonder about the people working in the business, things must be hard on there personal lives.
Particularly with lovers and such they must have a lot of patience and understanding.
Nov 13, 2014 2:18 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007

Aw yeah. Oi-chan is fantastic.

Aversa said:
Particularly with lovers and such they must have a lot of patience and understanding.

Probably, but to a certain degree this is likely true for many occupations. The best thing is probably when the spouse has nothing to do with the stuff you do at work, I think. Just like what we saw in the episode.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 13, 2014 3:40 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow can't believe they referenced Waiting for Godot! I remember reading it in 10th grade and I really liked it. Perfect fit for Shizuka's current situation about waiting for a call back.

Ugh, Tarou is still annoying as ever, can't listen to this guy. I'm glad though that Endou changed his perspectives a little at the end. Nothing like bonding over something that influenced you to go for a a job that you're willing to do for the rest of your life. It was really a relief and almost heartwarming end when Endou and Shimoyanagi were talking about animating together. Working together is much better than fighting against each other, and Endou has more things he could learn too about 3DCG.
Nov 13, 2014 4:03 PM

Jan 2008
Really cool that they showed us Endou's version of the explosions with just the keyframes at the end.
Nov 13, 2014 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
Endou finally accept 3D animations.
Nov 13, 2014 4:30 PM

May 2013
Good episode. Was great to see Endou-san and that 3D CG producer get along.

All I really have to say at this point lol.
Nov 13, 2014 5:11 PM

Jul 2013
The fact that the fat director was actually able to climb out was something I found amusing.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Nov 13, 2014 5:48 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Would've loved seeing how Kantoku escaped from that cage with his heavy body. XD

Tarou is still an annoying SOAB. It's him that's making Miyamori's life twice as hard. Why doesn't he get fired already? >.<

Tateo-sensei's encouraging words to Shizuka were nice. I really hope she gets an active role soon. Her acting voice is <3.

Idepon exhibition scenes were great! Shimoyanagi and Endou bonding over their mutual interest was nice to see.
Ultimately, it was Idepon Miyamori that saved the day. Finally, she gets some good acknowledgements from her colleagues, except Tarou cause his flattery doesn't count.

Good episode. Kantoku rejoicing only after finishing part A was pretty funny!

Nov 13, 2014 6:09 PM

Nov 2010
Poor Honda surrounded by striking stooges on the office
He would have gotten a heart attack several times already
The crisis seems to have ended finally

Idepon sounds like a nice Mech series
Nov 13, 2014 6:24 PM

Jun 2010
not bad, I caught some feels around the ending there.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Nov 13, 2014 6:48 PM

Jun 2013
This was easily the weakest episode so far, but for the most part it was still a solid episode :)
Nov 13, 2014 6:55 PM

Aug 2014
the blonde guy is quite an irritation
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Nov 13, 2014 6:56 PM

Mar 2013
1lau said:
Poor Honda surrounded by striking stooges on the office
He would have gotten a heart attack several times already
The crisis seems to have ended finally

Idepon sounds like a nice Mech series

Well, it's a Tomino series, so...
Nov 13, 2014 7:17 PM

Aug 2013
The director and Takanashi are seriously the biggest fucking scrubs I have ever seen. If this anime had even a hint of realism they would've both been jobless by episode 2.

Besides those 2 wastes of life...

Shimoyanagi and Endou are bros now. That's pretty cool.
Nov 13, 2014 7:34 PM

Apr 2013
That hand-drawn key frame animation for the explosions at the end of the episode was excellent.

Nov 13, 2014 8:05 PM

Aug 2012
This show brings a smile to my face.

More Segawa pls
Nov 13, 2014 8:35 PM

Aug 2013
All of the character interactions in this episode were great.
And dat bromanctic fanboyism between Endou and Shimoyanagi. :D

This is my favourite episode yet.
Nov 13, 2014 9:36 PM

Dec 2013
Need a Oi-chan's dakimakura pillow
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Nov 13, 2014 9:39 PM

Aug 2012
Benphyre said:
Need a Oi-chan's dakimakura pillow
That Miyamoe
Nov 14, 2014 1:12 AM

Mar 2013
So the 3D vs 2D fight finally come to end......
Nice episode a bit slow and boring but
no complains here.
Nov 14, 2014 1:34 AM

Oct 2014
OwaruSekai said:
A P.A. Works anime is probably the last place I thought I'd see a reference to an existentialistic European absurdist play from the fifties.

"All right. Let's die"

You act as if it's obscure. Waiting for Godot is the most famous play of the 20th century.
Nov 14, 2014 3:04 AM

Jun 2008
Winter_Fox_Sinon said:
OwaruSekai said:

"All right. Let's die"

You act as if it's obscure. Waiting for Godot is the most famous play of the 20th century.

But was it ever popular in Japan? That was the intention of the post.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Nov 14, 2014 3:08 AM
Dec 2013
And Samuel Beckett keeps turning in his grave as people keep casting Waiting for Godot with female actors against his express wishes.
Nov 14, 2014 3:43 AM

Jan 2014
How the hell did the director climb out of that cage?!?!??? The man will defy gravity for some fried chicken I guess...
Nov 14, 2014 5:01 AM

Dec 2012
^ Maybe getting physical became an inspiration of sorts to overcome his slump. He properly returned to his cell afterwards and finished his job.

I liked what Tateo-san shared with Zuka-chan. Waiting for something to happen is indeed important, but what one does in the mean time is crucial. Zuka may have failed the audition, but she could learn and gain more experience and confidence from her unrelated job. Could try to learn a foreign language, which is a good thing for VAs and singers, because they can exercise different prosody, vocalization and breathing techniques, etc.

Back to the 2D vs. 3D debate, those who can draw, could learn some CG software; those, who can't draw, can learn to draw. It's essential to know where to put the lights properly, understand the impact of textures along with how to create raster and tweak image content and motion.
With that being said, no one needs CGI TakanashiS in the creative decisions, otherwise we can call it quits for the industry or anime appeal in general right here and now. Good job, Idepon-Aoi-chan :)

Well, the most hilarious thing in this episode was the otaku level of Andou and Shimoyanagi in front of Idepon. Brought tears of joy into my eyes ^^ and I don't even like Idepon that much. It was a feast to watch nonetheless :D
Nov 14, 2014 6:38 AM
Oct 2013
Good that things are solved :D Miyamori is so cute (*´▽`*)

Director managed to escape from the prison ( ̄□ ̄;)
Nov 14, 2014 7:00 AM

May 2009
The episode felt a bit slow and boring, but it's not terrible.
I'm glad this part is over. I wonder what they will bring for the next part.
Hopefully the director and the blonde guy will become a bit more realistic/less annoying, but I have my doubts about that. x)
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Nov 14, 2014 8:52 AM

Jul 2013
the bromance is strong in this episode
Nov 14, 2014 10:49 AM

Sep 2014
so many cheezy lines - it can't just be a coincidence that my stomach hurt after watching that episode

Looks like the art took a hit: some of the characters weren't drawn as crisp and detailed as before

and then there was that silent expolsion scene with little background colour before the ED that was just awkward coming after the production desk scene at the end

cringe when Endou and Shimoyanagi were talking outside the office after Endou drew all the key frames and stuff the night before
They both blushed during the conversation. What is this, yaoi? Endou's already married.

1/5 bleh worst episode of this anime series so far
Darstorm-SandudeNov 14, 2014 10:52 AM
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Nov 14, 2014 12:47 PM

Jun 2014
Darstorm-Sandude said:

and then there was that silent expolsion scene with little background colour before the ED that was just awkward coming after the production desk scene at the end

Err, you do realize that those key frames were the episode 8 explosion scenes that the show has revolved around for the past couple of episodes? The ones that Endou spent a whole night drawing. Anyone who appreciates this show should understand the significance of actually showing that sequence.

In fact, would someone be kind enough as to .gif the CG and key frame sequences side by side? Pretty please..
Nov 14, 2014 1:36 PM

Jul 2009
I loved the Ideon references in the episode, they went to the point of even doing remixes of the opening and ending which was really unexpected
Nov 14, 2014 2:38 PM

Feb 2013
Welp, they managed to sort it out in the end:)
Jesus can walk on water. Cucumbers are 96% water. I can walk on cucumbers. I'm 96% Jesus.
Nov 14, 2014 2:46 PM

Nov 2011
ramenshojo said:
In fact, would someone be kind enough as to .gif the CG and key frame sequences side by side? Pretty please..

Here you go. The quality is bad because gif is already an inferior format.

CG

Keyframe
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 14, 2014 4:09 PM

Jul 2011
Darstorm-Sandude said:
cringe when Endou and Shimoyanagi were talking outside the office after Endou drew all the key frames and stuff the night before
They both blushed during the conversation. What is this, yaoi? Endou's already married.

No, they were just feeling flattered, or that sort of happy feeling you get when praised. Blushing =/= romance. And that wasn't really blushing, I would say.

I found this a great episode. I still hate Taro and everyone's tolerance of him, but I'm glad everything worked out. I especially like that the Endou and Shinoyanagi bonded over a passion, that was really nice! When they were re-enacting dramatic lines and correcting silly Taro, I had to grin. ^^

The 2D vs. 3D talk was nicely realistic in their benefits and detriments too. :)
Nov 14, 2014 9:38 PM

Aug 2013
Darstorm-Sandude said:
...cringe when Endou and Shimoyanagi were talking outside the office after Endou drew all the key frames and stuff the night before

What an ignorant comment. Apparently colleagues, who were previously at odds, can't show admiration for each other's work and is automatically considered yaoi.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 14, 2014 9:48 PM

Jul 2013
Loved this ep. I seriously always felt that 2D explosions were so much cooler than the 3D explosions but this opened my eyes a little in respecting both

This anime once again fulfills it's duty as a feel good anime as I certainly FEEL GOOD after watching it :D
Can't wait for next weeks ep
The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
Nov 14, 2014 10:08 PM

Nov 2011
i don't mind CG too much. heck, i liked the ending theme of smile precure and the insert songs in Love Live
which were made in CG. Ushinawareta was made in CG and it looks pretty decent (though i still prefer hand drawn animation)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 15, 2014 1:58 AM

Oct 2012
The official website shows eight new technical terms which were used in
Episode 6, here at the top of this webpage, highlighted with yellow boxes.
This is all in Japanese only.
http://shirobako-anime.com/words.html
There is quite a lot of jargon to learn in order to follow this series.

- - - - - - - - - - -

As for me, to be honest, I find this series very challenging to watch. There are
so many characters, and it seems overwhelming to keep track of their names,
their job titles, and what in fact they actually do. So I can't even attempt to
watch an episode unless I am wide awake and keeping my eyes continuously
focused on the screen.

I wonder, then, do anime fans in Japan find this series so high-level that it
does not appeal to them? Is this series only of interest to a small group of
otaku who are specifically interested in the precise details of the animation
production process? Is the animation team doing this as "a labor of love"
which accurately documents their life but without a serious expectation of
being financially viable?

Well, as it turns out, it seems that SHIROBAKO is a business success.

I checked out the "Amazon Stalker points", which are one way of measuring
the popularity of a series among fans in Japan. These points an indication of
the number of pre-orders of the Blu-rays and DVDs. Many fans place these
pre-orders well before the BDs/DVDs actually go on sale.

As of this moment, here are the Amazon Stalker points. Note that, for every
volume, there is a regular edition and a special limited edition.

Volume 1 (on sale Dec 24) BD(reg) 3079 DVD(reg) 206 BD(sle) 298 DVD(sle) 68
Volume 2 (on sale Jan 28) BD(reg) 2982 DVD(reg) 190 BD(sle) 345 DVD(sle) 86
Volume 3 (on sale Feb 25) BD(reg) 3437 DVD(reg) ... BD(sle) ... DVD(sle) ..
Volume 4 (on sale Mar 25) BD(reg) 3922 DVD(reg) ... BD(sle) ... DVD(sle) ..
Volume 5 (on sale Apr 22) BD(reg) .... DVD(reg) ... BD(sle) ... DVD(sle) ..
Volume 6 (on sale May 27) BD(reg) .... DVD(reg) ... BD(sle) ... DVD(sle) ..
Volume 7 (on sale Jun 24) BD(reg) .... DVD(reg) ... BD(sle) ... DVD(sle) ..
Volume 8 (on sale Jul 29) BD(reg) .... DVD(reg) ... BD(sle) ... DVD(sle) ..

Sorry, I got lazy so I did not fill in all of the numbers. In any case, the major
contributor to the points are clearly the regular edition Blu-rays. I am not
expert on analyzing "Amazon Stalker points", and I know that many other
people on these threads are very knowledgable about them. So all I will say is
that these numbers look astoundingly high to me, for a series which appeared
to me to be aimed at a small niche of specialized viewers.
okanaganNov 15, 2014 5:29 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

288 by MineFord_gurme »»
Jun 3, 6:48 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2015

120 by Spiele_maus »»
May 31, 2:29 PM

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.