Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 17, 2014 2:05 PM

Jun 2011
Are the people that hate CGI the same people that talk shit to ppl who don't like the looks of old anime and keep saying "who cares how it looks its about the story"?
Sep 17, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 2014
I enjoy both old & new Anime, but I do prefer old Anime more. I find the art style & animation of older Anime superior to stuff made after 2000.

Sep 17, 2014 2:14 PM

Apr 2013
MugenRyuugen said:
well judging from the chara *design*, older anime is inferior. But that's make older anime have a...what is it...signature about it

image quality is inferior but not character design

or are you telling me this is bad?

xSanoxSep 17, 2014 2:19 PM
Sep 17, 2014 2:35 PM
May 2007
most of the newer anime i watch (ie, the latest Hajime no Ippo and Sailor Moon series) is based on older manga. Still have yet to watch Saint Seiya Omega.

Chun Li vs Balrog/Vega is probably the best anime fight scene of all time.
Sep 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Apr 2014
I don't really care what people think about anime. But all I can say is "old animation" is what made "new animation"
Sep 17, 2014 3:11 PM

Feb 2010
Killaclown said:
Are the people that hate CGI the same people that talk shit to ppl who don't like the looks of old anime and keep saying "who cares how it looks its about the story"?

No, everyone hates CGI equally, oldfags and newfags. With a few, random exceptions.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 17, 2014 3:47 PM

Apr 2014
My guess is that they just judge based off the "new" anime they seen or judge it based on the first anime they've seen. I think it's stupid to just rate an anime that's "old" badly just because the animation isn't as good as the modern stuff. I mostly judge the "old" anime on the story and characters, I feel as though that's how it should really be rated/scored, but opinions vary.
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Sep 17, 2014 3:48 PM

Jul 2012
I'd have to say new character designs are much better however, there are good character designs from any era. It's just that we get lots of shit back then.

sullynathan said:
What the fuck are you typing? I can barely understand what you typed.

LOL your signature gif matches your reaction so well
Sep 17, 2014 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
Lime_ said:
nucblus said:
1: The animation is irrelevant if the story is good.

A lot of people who watched aku no hana would like a word with you

That was just unwatchable...

Also, ignore the people who hate on older anime. You really can't change someone else's preferences so easily, so it is pretty much just a lost cause.
Sep 17, 2014 5:31 PM

Jun 2007
J-TORA said:
I don't dislike old Anime but old video formats, since the video quality of most old shows is poor. I don't have anything against these ones which get a BD release.
Well, it does help to watch older anime on the actual DVDs, instead of crappy ancient 384p DivX .ogm rips made circa 2003 or horrendously bitstarved 240p streams on illegal bootleg streaming sites. Either way, there're still ways to compensate, e.g. get a low-res / 4:3 display, to cut down on the artifacting caused by scaling to higher resolutions.

xSanox said:
MugenRyuugen said:
well judging from the chara *design*, older anime is inferior. But that's make older anime have a...what is it...signature about it

"Bad character design" is just code for "character design that's different from what I'm used to" in the hater language.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Sep 17, 2014 5:43 PM

Jul 2012
Zalis said:
"Bad character design" is just code for "character design that's different from what I'm used to" in the hater language.

I disagree. There are a lot of older designs that clearly don't understand colour rules and proportions. It makes me cringe. Like I said before, there are a lot of nicer designs back then as well, but I think it has a fair amount of cringe-worthy designs. Nowadays, everything is visually appealing on the most part.
Sep 17, 2014 5:52 PM
Jul 2013
old anime are shit, aka anything pre 2005
Sep 17, 2014 7:33 PM

Mar 2014
DragonBall Z has great artstyle for an old anime and Its animation is impressive for something that came out of the 80s.
Sep 18, 2014 4:36 PM

Sep 2014
mayukachan said:

I disagree. There are a lot of older designs that clearly don't understand colour rules and proportions. It makes me cringe. Like I said before, there are a lot of nicer designs back then as well, but I think it has a fair amount of cringe-worthy designs. Nowadays, everything is visually appealing on the most part.

Yes, surely things have improved...

Sep 18, 2014 4:47 PM

Mar 2012
Whoever argued that "character design" in older anime is worse is fucking stupid.

Character design for the most part is different based on the type of story it is. If it's comedy, it's going to have a simpler, cartoonish design and if it's a gritty action series, than the designs are going to be sharper and more polished. That's true with both new AND old anime...so I don't get why someone would say "the character design is worse."

In my opinion, the biggest difference between older and new anime is the amount of frames used and how polished the animation is. All things considered, hand-drawn cell animation is much more difficult to put out in a timely fashion than newer, digital productions. Most "action based" anime back in the day had clunkier, slower action scenes when compared to action anime nowadays. Not saying there weren't any good action anime back in the day, just saying they weren't as fluid as anime nowadays.

I like some older anime. I honestly haven't seen a ton of anime before 2002, so I wouldn't be a very good judge of anime pre-2000, but what I have seen is pretty good. I can't complain about the quality of story pre-2000, that's for sure.
Sep 18, 2014 5:06 PM

Aug 2013
Lime_ said:
Why not read books then? I'm sure you can find much better stories there if animation doesn't mean anything. . . .

I'd tend to think that's not what he meant (although I could be wrong). The better way of saying it is having a great story rises above lackluster animation.

Even if he meant that literally come on now, books and anime/television/film are very VERY different realms and mediums of story telling.
Sep 18, 2014 5:23 PM

Sep 2014
xSanox said:
MugenRyuugen said:

Lodoss War has god tier character design and art, any decade. Few matched it then, few match it now. Anyone who believes otherwise should take some drawing lessons or get a new hobby.
Sep 18, 2014 5:38 PM

Aug 2013
Bean_Bandit said:
xSanox said:

Lodoss War has god tier character design and art, any decade. Few matched it then, few match it now. Anyone who believes otherwise should take some drawing lessons or get a new hobby.

The problem imo is that the animation element of anime is an aspect that comes down to the judgement of artistry when it comes to determining if it's good, better, worse, bad, etc. and with that being said that's a really subjective realm.

If you ask me there are lots of "older anime" that still look more beautifully illustrated to my eye than a lot of modern anime. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Sep 18, 2014 6:04 PM

Sep 2014
Champloo_Remix said:
Bean_Bandit said:

The problem imo is that the animation element of anime is an aspect that comes down to the judgement of artistry when it comes to determining if it's good, better, worse, bad, etc. and with that being said that's a really subjective realm.

If you ask me there are lots of "older anime" that still look more beautifully illustrated to my eye than a lot of modern anime. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There do exist objective standards of drawing and design, in terms of technical quality and professionalism. Modernism and the Art Establishment say otherwise, but there are political and social agendas at play there that they must defend by claiming everything is subjective. Personal preference is another matter, and I won't argue with what people like, but once we start stating things in terms of "better" or "higher quality" then we start getting into quantity and measurable criteria.
Sep 18, 2014 6:07 PM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
I'd have to say new character designs are much better however, there are good character designs from any era. It's just that we get lots of shit back then.

sullynathan said:
What the fuck are you typing? I can barely understand what you typed.

LOL your signature gif matches your reaction so well

I almost cried that shit was so funny lol. I can't keep myself from laughing and I'm in a situation where I can't be laughing atm
Sep 18, 2014 8:46 PM

Jun 2007
mayukachan said:
Zalis said:

Well yeah, no era's perfect when it comes to staying on-model, and similar complaints have been leveled against eye size, eye distance, and nose size in modern anime. But many of the complaints against older anime are along the lines of "I can't stand those 80s hairstyles," which is purely subjective.

Sung-Hwan said:
old anime are shit, aka anything pre 2005
Oh no, someone who thinks all anime are shit (AKA "not worth anything more than 5") thinks pre-2005 anime are shit! My life is a lie! Though if I interpret your scores on a relative scale, quite a few older anime somehow manage to score 4-5, like Kiki's Delivery Service, Only Yesterday, Grave of the Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart, Fullmetal Alchemist '03, Spirited Away, Now and Then Here and There, Monster, Cat Returns, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, YuYu Hakusho, Serial Experiments Lain, Nausicaa, and Akira.

Sep 18, 2014 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
-too lazy to quote-

Yeah, hairstyle is subjective but...When it's pink huge-ass Yugioh hairstyles, that's when I think it's not a great character design. I think most of the newer shows do proportion much better, especially KyoAni. Like damn, they can make characters insanely attractive and pretty realistic.

In the end, everything is subjective lol. There are three types of people, ones that prefers older super-realistic art, ones that likes shiny modern only and ones that like both.
Sep 18, 2014 9:33 PM

Jul 2013
Lodoss War has incredibly horrible budget issues in the last third of the show with pretty bad/non existent animation.

The scene where the one dragon falls into the water is especially funny. Speaking of, I'm fairly certain not a single dragon flaps its wings when it flies and only glides because of the budget issues. Still some nice ART yes, but unfortunately the same can't be said for animation (story also gets messy but that's a whole different thing).
Sep 18, 2014 9:35 PM
Aug 2011
Lodoss War added to my imaginary ptw list.
Sep 18, 2014 9:38 PM

Jul 2013
At least you can enjoy da girls and godly seiyuus

it's an overall decent watch really despite the problems
Sep 18, 2014 9:45 PM
Aug 2011
I tend to find a lot of unintentionally hilarious scenes in older anime.
I don't know if it's because sometimes the animation fluidity is lacking or what but something's going on there.
Sep 18, 2014 10:22 PM

Jun 2014
Try watching Gun Buster.

You'll thank me later.
Sep 18, 2014 10:24 PM

Sep 2012
I don't watch old anime because I'm not interested in anime enough to care.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 18, 2014 10:25 PM

Sep 2014
Unintentional hilarity still happens. I noticed a lot downright shocking anatomy and animation in JJBA Battle Tendency. I felt like I was back watching Berserk filler episodes on VHS. No amount of computer help is going to make up for lack of budget and/or ability. You'll just have bad animation with ugly bloom lighting on top of it.
Sep 18, 2014 10:26 PM

Jul 2013
It seems to be the way people stick it to the elitist if you ask me. IMO, everyone should take a break from MAL. This shit seems so petty to me now.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 18, 2014 10:27 PM

Jun 2014
Bean_Bandit said:
Unintentional hilarity still happens. I noticed a lot downright shocking anatomy and animation in JJBA Battle Tendency. I felt like I was back watching Berserk filler episodes on VHS. No amount of computer help is going to make up for lack of budget and/or ability. You'll just have bad animation with ugly bloom lighting on top of it.

I've actually seen the anime your name is based off.

I feel proud.
Sep 18, 2014 10:43 PM

Sep 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Bean_Bandit said:

I've actually seen the anime your name is based off.

I feel proud.

From the good old days of the Blockbuster Video anime section.
Sep 18, 2014 11:26 PM

Aug 2014
Korrvo said:

Why are you here?
Sep 19, 2014 1:15 AM

Jun 2007
parfaited said:
I tend to find a lot of unintentionally hilarious scenes in older anime.
I don't know if it's because sometimes the animation fluidity is lacking or what but something's going on there.
Yet the first anime that ever got a dedicated page for unintentional hilarity on the formerly-useful tropes site was a relatively modern (2006-08) anime.

Sep 19, 2014 1:21 AM
Jul 2011
I don't think they're bad I just find it really hard to start watching them or get into the series, like lotgh
Sep 19, 2014 5:02 AM

Apr 2014
I honestly think that for the most part, you can get used to a certain art style pretty fast so it's all a question about willingness to step outside your comfort zone and the ability to watch something without saying right of the bat that you will not enjoy it.

I remember refusing to watch Rose of Versailles because it was "eww so old" and initially I had trouble getting past the first episodes, but as times went by, it bothered me less and less and by the end it became one of my favorite series even so everything can happen.

Like some people said, it's a pity because, by dismissing entire decades, people are missing out some truly iconic anime that influenced some of the most beloved shows here.
Sep 19, 2014 7:11 AM

Oct 2008
Halicone said:

I remember refusing to watch Rose of Versailles because it was "eww so old" and initially I had trouble getting past the first episodes, but as times went by, it bothered me less and less and by the end it became one of my favorite series even so everything can happen.

Rose of Versailles visually was actually very good considering it was a late 70's series.Compared for instance with the original Mobile Suit Gundam which also aired at the same period it holds up really well.

The manga however with its cookie cutter shoujo romance style ,that is still very much present to this day in most series,is quite unbearable imo.
amateurSep 19, 2014 7:16 AM
Sep 19, 2014 8:00 AM

Mar 2014
It's funny how some of you think that anime from 1995-2014 is old. Old anime is anything before 1990.
Sep 19, 2014 8:10 AM
Apr 2014
I hate people that hates new anime. And i hate people that hates old anime. The anime industry will forever be full of crap with just a few good ones every year.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Sep 19, 2014 8:40 AM

Aug 2014
kasai9000 said:
It's funny how some of you think that anime from 1995-2014 is old. Old anime is anything before 1990.
Sep 19, 2014 9:49 AM

Jul 2013
kasai9000 said:

You think it's unreasonably for a site full of teenagers to think anime from 1995 is old?

Even as someone in my twenties that's a long time ago. We're closer to 2030 than 1995.
Sep 19, 2014 10:04 AM

Sep 2012
MeiMisaki1525 said:
Korrvo said:

Why are you here?
obviously because I find anime ewwy and I need to inform others of how inferior they are to me because of that
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 19, 2014 10:10 AM

Sep 2014
hybreezy said:
kasai9000 said:

You think it's unreasonably for a site full of teenagers to think anime from 1995 is old?

Even as someone in my twenties that's a long time ago. We're closer to 2030 than 1995.

Yet some also think 2004 is "old" even though there were shows that look as good as anything today.

Teenagers are not paragons of rational thinking, nor are they usually informed enough to make reasonable qualitative judgments.
Sep 19, 2014 10:31 AM

Aug 2014
hybreezy said:
kasai9000 said:

I don't think that's relevant.
Bean_Bandit said:
hybreezy said:

Yet some also think 2004 is "old" even though there were shows that look as good as anything today.

Teenagers are not paragons of rational thinking, nor are they usually informed enough to make reasonable qualitative judgments.

Exactly. Teenagers are just little shits with no respect for nothin' but money and themselves.
Sep 19, 2014 10:37 AM

Jul 2013
10 years ago is a long time ago as well
Sep 19, 2014 11:31 AM

Feb 2010
I think it's normal to consider stuff older than yourself as old, and maybe stuff from your early childhood. I just find it weird when people who are 20 or older consider stuff from 5-8 years ago as old. When a 14 year old does it it's more understandable.
AlcoholicideSep 19, 2014 11:52 AM
Sep 19, 2014 11:38 AM

Aug 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I think it's normal to consider stuff older than yourself as old, and maybe stuff from your early childhood. I just find it weird when people who are 20 or older consider stuff from 5-8 years ago as old. When a 14 year old does it it's more udnerstandable.

What the fuck's the difference? It's still time.
Sep 19, 2014 11:41 AM

Mar 2008
MeiMisaki1525 said:
Time grows shorter the older you get.
Sep 19, 2014 11:42 AM

Aug 2014
Ckan said:
MeiMisaki1525 said:
Time grows shorter the older you get.

That just means that time is more valuable and precious to the elder folk. It's still the same amount of time.
Sep 19, 2014 11:43 AM

Feb 2010
MeiMisaki1525 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I think it's normal to consider stuff older than yourself as old, and maybe stuff from your early childhood. I just find it weird when people who are 20 or older consider stuff from 5-8 years ago as old. When a 14 year old does it it's more udnerstandable.

And everyone knows time is relative. Of course your lifespan plays into how you experience time.
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime that ended terribly

ST63LTH - Today

23 by Lucifrost »»
10 minutes ago

» Good anime with bad start

JoeChip - 11 hours ago

35 by Lucifrost »»
14 minutes ago

» Anyone got turned off by the Big 3? ( 1 2 )

Zircon45 - Jun 25

62 by Lucifrost »»
25 minutes ago

» What is your Fav anime songs ?

Henrique-Senpai - Today

16 by RyogiSHIKI7 »»
25 minutes ago

» Demon Slayer English Dub still waiting???

RainOfLegend - 2 hours ago

2 by MadanielFL »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.