Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 5, 2014 6:50 PM
Jun 2014
I don't believe this show has "gone to shit", but I definitely feel that it has lost some of its quality. The animation and sound for this show is still top notch. But, the introduction of Five has damaged the tense dynamic we had when it was Nine/Twelve vs Shibazaki. In the early episodes they'd go to great lengths to explain each action Nine/Twelve/Shibazaki did. Now, since it's Five who is driving the plot, not Nine/Twelve, we have a character who is doing all sorts of crazy things without any explanation (and no, her clutching her head isn't an explanation, it's a hint to a possible one, but it's not an actual explanation yet). This just conflicts with the first four episodes and makes it feel disjointed. Still hoping things pick up for the finale though.
Sep 5, 2014 6:56 PM

Jun 2013
Vox_Populi said:
Verdure said:
If five had lisa's/9/12's address,why didn't she arrest them already?What's the point of the bomb?

You really have to wonder. Five had to have known Nine and Twelve weren't home since they'd immediately know that there was something wrong. They didn't know that Five knew where they lived, why didn't she just wait until they arrived and secured the exits?

Five clearly doesn't want to kill Nine or Twelve. But she could have at least captured them.

Maybe because Lisa actually has a personal record so it's easier to track her down? Nine and Twelve have been able to erase their traces impeccably thus far. No one knows anything about them, not even the plutonium factory where Nine worked for three (?) months. To support the fact that it's really easy to track Lisa down as opposed to Nine and Twelve, think back to when Twelve was tracking Lisa on his phone. Did you ever ask yourself how he managed to find Lisa then? Five didn't know about Nine and Twelve's hideout until she tracked down Lisa.

C'mon guys it's not that hard. How would Five secure the exits? With police officers? You think Nine and Twelve wouldn't notice the police force securing the exits way before they even come? Or were you implying that the apartment somehow came with magical steel walls that would block all sorts of exits? The point of the bomb is two-fold:
1) to make Nine and Twelve run out of hideouts until she finds the hideout with the plutonium. Because she'll track them down as long as Lisa is with them.
2) to relay the message that Five is not fooling around and that she doesn't have that much time to deal with Nine and Twelve (we'll see next episode why she's in such a hurry to kill Nine and Twelve).
Sep 5, 2014 7:25 PM

Jul 2013
BRK25 said:

Go to the first episode. Twelve was doing things his way and was only with Nine cause they were friends. He's joking and following Nine's orders, that's all.

Episode three. Hey Nine what are YOU going to do if they don't find this bomb?

Episode Five: YOU seem to be putting a lot of trust into this detective.

Never did he say we, or what should we do, it was based on Nine's objectives.

Not we, YOU. He's never been to involved with the plan, they're friends but Nine has a solid objective, Twelve was there for the ride and he wants to live a normal life from the looks of it. If anything, Nine wants the bomb to go off and get people on the plan but Twelve's an assistant.

That's why I can understand, he's second guessing after witnessing Lisa nearly dying, he saw first hand the fear and danger going on.

i didn't realize this but it makes sense since 9 is the mastermind to every plan which 12 just goes along with. he's 9's accomplice. it still doesn't change the fact that 12's attachment to lisa is weird since they didn't spend that much time together and 9 and 12 have been with each other for years. if we knew what's going through 12's head things would be clearer.

i can't tell if 9's going to go after 12 because of his attachment to 9 or if he's going to avoid going after 9 because of his attachment to 9. if i had to predict it would be the former because of character development and all.

i really can't stand lisa or 5. they told lisa to stay inside for a reason but she pulls illogical stunts anyway. she should've realized that by running away she was putting 9 and 12 in danger which she obviously didn't want. if anything happens to 9 and 12 now it will be completely her fault
Sep 5, 2014 8:49 PM
Jun 2013
pakoko said:
Vox_Populi said:

You really have to wonder. Five had to have known Nine and Twelve weren't home since they'd immediately know that there was something wrong. They didn't know that Five knew where they lived, why didn't she just wait until they arrived and secured the exits?

Five clearly doesn't want to kill Nine or Twelve. But she could have at least captured them.

Maybe because Lisa actually has a personal record so it's easier to track her down? Nine and Twelve have been able to erase their traces impeccably thus far. No one knows anything about them, not even the plutonium factory where Nine worked for three (?) months. Five didn't know about Nine and Twelve's hideout until she tracked down Lisa.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm not talking about how she found Lisa, I'm talking about blowing up the building as opposed to securing it. It isn't hard to infer that wherever Lisa lives, 9 and 12 do also. Since A) She knows who Lisa is, therefore B) She knows she ran away so C) by inductive reasoning, Five could reasonably infer she's living with Nine and Twelve in that apartment. It's also more logical to search the building of a suspected accomplice to terrorists, than to arbitrarily blow up it. There was probably considerable evidence in that building, including all of Nine's laptops.

Furthermore, if Five wanted to capture Lisa all along, why wait until Lisa coincidentally overhears a conversation highlighting her uselessness and then runs away, all of which could have not happened, instead of sending a team to capture her in the first place? And you can't tell me she thought that bomb would kill anyone. There was a message accompanying it with the word "Bomb".
C'mon guys it's not that hard. How would Five secure the exits? With police officers? You think Nine and Twelve wouldn't notice the police force securing the exits way before they even come?

She could, and I know this is hard, wait until they're asleep since it's obvious that barring the roof and maybe the garage, there's only one way in and out of the building. Although I agree she would be stupid enough to place men outside the building waiting for them.

If Five captures Nine and Twelve, in addition to having Lisa as collateral, I doubt she could find the plutonium much quicker than simply following them around until they lead her to it.
Vox_PopuliSep 5, 2014 8:55 PM
Sep 5, 2014 9:14 PM

Oct 2013
Lisa is TAKEN??? ok, just hire Liam Neeson for this job, he will find Lisa and 5 in no time
Sep 5, 2014 9:15 PM

Apr 2010
HanaKana is Shibazaki's daughter?

MIND=BLOWN

Also, I have never heard of the ISA until now. Man, and I thought I knew all of the U.S.'s three-letter acronym organizations...
Banshee-IVSep 5, 2014 9:18 PM
Sep 5, 2014 9:27 PM

Jun 2013
Vox_Populi said:
pakoko said:

Maybe because Lisa actually has a personal record so it's easier to track her down? Nine and Twelve have been able to erase their traces impeccably thus far. No one knows anything about them, not even the plutonium factory where Nine worked for three (?) months. Five didn't know about Nine and Twelve's hideout until she tracked down Lisa.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm not talking about how she found Lisa, I'm talking about blowing up the building as opposed to securing it. It isn't hard to infer that wherever Lisa lives, 9 and 12 do also. Since A) She knows who Lisa is, therefore B) She knows she ran away so C) by inductive reasoning, Five could reasonably infer she's living with Nine and Twelve in that apartment. It's also more logical to search the building of a suspected accomplice to terrorists, than to arbitrarily blow up it. There was probably considerable evidence in that building, including all of Nine's laptops.

I'm sorry I realized after replying that the first part was aimed in response to another post. I need to take a break from this thread haha.

As to your point, I'm sort of confused. Are you talking about blowing up the building as opposed to securing it or searching the building as opposed to arbitrarily blowing it up? You say both in your first paragraph.

In any case, I'm not sure if I agree that searching 9 and 12's hideout is Five's most logical move. 1) 9 shows that he owns several laptops in which all of them are used for hacking and not once do we know if he's carrying anything of value within the laptops; 2) 5 has shown, especially when she hacked into 9's laptop before the subway bombing, that she's more than capable of looking into 9's laptops without necessarily knowing where they are; 3) Five is not necessarily a detective and I find it unlikely that she will be the one who searches around for evidence because that just isn't her personality. If you see in all the things she does, she usually sends people to do the physical stuff, while she sits back and paints her nails. What evidence would she need from them anyway? She knows they're terrorists and she has all the evidence proving that they are so what more does she need?

Now as to why she arbitrarily blew the place up is because of two reasons I previously stated, and because she was 100% sure that the plutonium wasn't in that apartment. She says it in this episode that she knew that Nine wouldn't hide it somewhere so obvious.

Vox_Populi said:
Furthermore, if Five wanted to capture Lisa all along, why wait until Lisa coincidentally overhears a conversation highlighting her uselessness and then runs away, all of which could have not happened, instead of sending a team to capture her in the first place?

She didn't coincidentally overhear the conversation. The new place was a small enough arcade that she could probably have overheard the conversation wherever she was. But that's insignificant detail. Five didn't wait until Lisa overheard the conversation and left. She waited for Lisa to reveal herself on the streets. Chances are that Five didn't know about the new hideout until Lisa came out of it because I'm assuming Nine and Twelve are just crazy good at covering their tracks.

Five did send a team to capture Lisa btw when you rewatch the scene. You see two people instead of Five herself. Knowing all that, Five caught Lisa because she knew she could use her to bring out Nine and Twelve.

C'mon guys it's not that hard. How would Five secure the exits? With police officers? You think Nine and Twelve wouldn't notice the police force securing the exits way before they even come?

Vox_Populi said:
She could, and I know this is hard, wait until they're asleep since it's obvious that barring the roof, there's only one way in and out of the building. Although I agree she would be stupid enough to place men outside the building waiting for them.

If Five captures Nine and Twelve, in addition to having Lisa as collateral, I doubt she could find the plutonium much quicker than simply following them around until they lead her to it.

Lol let's just drop the whole "securing the exits" business because if it's hard for Five than it's that much easier for Nine and Twelve to escape.

I guess you're right in letting Lisa reveal the plutonium's location instead of taking her hostage. At this point I just think Five's not even thinking straight. And this goes back to my point that she seems desperate and anxious. Her job is to take out Nine and Twelve, and the more the clock runs, the more impatient she seems to get (for reasons that will be revealed later). It's like she's not even willing to wait that long for Lisa to reveal the location. Kidnapping Lisa almost seems like a cheap shot considering how intelligent Five is, and that just shows that she's out of time (we'll again see why she's so desperate in the next few episodes)
pakokoSep 5, 2014 9:38 PM
Sep 5, 2014 9:50 PM

Mar 2012
>"You're studying science? You must know all about nuclear weapons."
>"In another age, people who blow up buildings would have been called activists."
>the "Athena Project"

this fucking show lol
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 5, 2014 9:53 PM
Oct 2012
pakoko said:
1) That's dealing with characters and has nothing to do with how the story is disjointed. Blame the characters, not the story.

Characters are the story. Now there are a few examples where the universe of the story can replace the characters (HP Lovecraft comes immediately to mind), but for the vast majority of stories you cannot separate characters from the story. Defects in one causes defects in the other.

pakoko said:
2) They were pacifists from the start. Their plan was to destroy the buildings owned by the members of the Rising Peace Academy, but they ALWAYS made sure everyone was evacuated and safe.

That is plain nonsense. Even if they evacuated everyone due to the fire alarm, you cannot suddenly bring down a 50-60 story building in the middle of a busy part of town without causing deaths. First of all the firemen, as 9/11 showed, would have charged into the building to make sure that everyone evacuated so they should have died, plus no one should have expected a normal fire to cause a building to collapse (with 9/11 it was the Jet Fuel that caused the collapse not the fires) so there would have been no reason to evacuate people from the area. They would have been killed by falling debris. The belief that one could destroy such a building and then do it in such a way as to prevent ANY major casualty is ridiculous.

Plus in episode 2 they showed debris from the Roppongi police explosion raining down on the pedestrians. There is no way 9 or 12 could have ensured that no would would have died. Given that they did not clear the walkway outside the building shows that the answer to the Oedipus question came too late and that the bombing of the police station should have killed someone.

This is just common sense, there is nothing in the first 3 episodes to suggest that 9 and 12 were worried about human fallout, that only came about when the writer changed with episode 4. So, no there has been no consistency.
Sep 5, 2014 10:12 PM
Jun 2013
pakoko said:
As to your point, I'm sort of confused. Are you talking about blowing up the building as opposed to securing it or searching the building as opposed to arbitrarily blowing it up? You say both in your first paragraph.

After securing the building i.e. removing Lisa, she could have had it searched or waited until Nine and Twelve showed up, captured everyone and then searched it.

In any case, I'm not sure if I agree that searching 9 and 12's hideout is Five's most logical move. 1) 9 shows that he owns several laptops in which all of them are used for hacking and not once do we know if he's carrying anything of value within the laptops; 2) 5 has shown, especially when she hacked into 9's laptop before the subway bombing, that she's more than capable of looking into 9's laptops without necessarily knowing where they are. What evidence would she need from them anyway? She knows they're terrorists and she has all the evidence proving that they are so what more does she need?

Evidence maybe hinting where the plutonium is. Fair enough on Nine's laptops, but that was just an example. And regardless, if she did capture them, at the very least she'd need evidence to show to the Japanese how and why she knows those three are the terrorists. They've been lenient so far, but I doubt they'd just take her conclusion at face value.

Now as to why she arbitrarily blew the place up is because of two reasons I previously stated, and because she was 100% sure that the plutonium wasn't in that apartment. She says it in this episode that she knew that Nine wouldn't hide it somewhere so obvious.

There was more to gain by not blowing up, even with your two reasons.

Five didn't wait until Lisa overheard the conversation and left. She waited for Lisa to reveal herself on the streets. Chances are that Five didn't know about the new hideout until Lisa came out of it because I'm assuming Nine and Twelve are just crazy good at covering their tracks.

I understand that. I'm saying, if she wanted to capture Lisa, why not send a team instead of a postman with a bomb and capture her then? Especially since, that bomb clearly was meant for the building and not to actually kill anyone.

Lol let's just drop the whole "securing the exits" business because if it's hard for Five than it's that much easier for Nine and Twelve to escape.

I guess you're right in letting Lisa reveal the plutonium's location instead of taking her hostage. At this point I just think Five's not even thinking straight. And this goes back to my point that she seems desperate and anxious. Her job is to take out Nine and Twelve, and the more the clock runs, the more impatient she seems to get (for reasons that will be revealed later). It's like she's not even willing to wait that long for Lisa to reveal the location. Kidnapping Lisa almost seems like a cheap shot considering how intelligent Five is, and that just shows that she's out of time (we'll again see why she's so desperate in the next few episodes)

I disagree. Whenever the location of a fugitive is revealed, protocol isn't to make a move immediately. They could have easily staked the building for a while, and created a plan to deter all means of escape, which really should have been fairly simple. If they surrounded the building, what would Nine and Twelve have done?

Yeah, I'd agree she's not thinking straight. I'd also say that I don't think her objective is to kill Nine and Twelve either.

I'm not trying to nitpick with this moment either. But just blowing up their location, when she could have planned an assault, makes just no sense.
Sep 5, 2014 10:43 PM

Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

Characters are the story. Now there are a few examples where the universe of the story can replace the characters (HP Lovecraft comes immediately to mind), but for the vast majority of stories you cannot separate characters from the story. Defects in one causes defects in the other.

Ahh I guess it's a matter of personal definition then. Since I'm so used to the MAL criteria, I define story strictly as the context and the overarching idea or message that the show is trying to convey. The stories of characters are strictly talked about when I talk about characters and their development. Sorry that I wasn't clear about my distinction.

Takuan_Soho said:
That is plain nonsense. Even if they evacuated everyone due to the fire alarm, you cannot suddenly bring down a 50-60 story building in the middle of a busy part of town without causing deaths. First of all the firemen, as 9/11 showed, would have charged into the building to make sure that everyone evacuated so they should have died, plus no one should have expected a normal fire to cause a building to collapse (with 9/11 it was the Jet Fuel that caused the collapse not the fires) so there would have been no reason to evacuate people from the area. They would have been killed by falling debris. The belief that one could destroy such a building and then do it in such a way as to prevent ANY major casualty is ridiculous.

Plus in episode 2 they showed debris from the Roppongi police explosion raining down on the pedestrians. There is no way 9 or 12 could have ensured that no would would have died. Given that they did not clear the walkway outside the building shows that the answer to the Oedipus question came too late and that the bombing of the police station should have killed someone.

This is just common sense, there is nothing in the first 3 episodes to suggest that 9 and 12 were worried about human fallout, that only came about when the writer changed with episode 4. So, no there has been no consistency.

Well as ridiculous as it seems, if the show backs it up with reasonable evidence then within that world it makes sense. Recall the second episode when they have the conference discussing the bombing. They clearly say the 30 min blackout may have been for the bomb set-up but was also a time for everyone to evacuate the building. Episode 1 shows people getting moved out of the buildings by the police. The bombs were also relatively weak. The best it could do was melt the cement of major structure beams enough for the building to collapse. It wasn't a bomb strong enough to have flying debris going everywhere. And they follow that up with the fact that no one died, just that some were injured. Now, comparing this event to the 9/11 is a bit irrelevant because it's not the same event. The US didn't have "Sphinxes" warning them beforehand that the world trade center and the other buildings will be bombed. Whether or not people took heed of the Sphinxes' message, the Sphinxes made sure to send the warning to further avoid casualties. If the US had this sort of preemptive message, boy would 9/11 not be the same tragedy as we deem it to be today. But seriously, don't bring in 9/11 because that's a tangent. I respect you, man, but I want to focus on mainly what's going on in the show, not go on another debate about what happened during 9/11 or how realistic this anime is compared to real life.

Of course 9 or 12 could not have ensured that no one would have died. But I believe in the episode after the Roppongi police station explosion, people at the same conference clearly say that again that no one was dead, only some injured. Now as much as I want to believe otherwise, if the anime states that no one was injured, then no one was injured. I'm not going to tear my hair out thinking the explosion should have killed someone. So going by the consistency of the injury reports from episodes 1,2, and 3, that clearly shows to me as a viewer that something's not right. Those explosions should have killed people, but it was revealed to have not killed anyone. That leads me to suspect, not believe just yet, that Nine and Twelve have a method to their madness. In episode 3 they made sure the bomb was in an abandoned building in a remote place (next to a shrine). How is that hard core terrorism? Nine and Twelve clearly knew that the bomb wouldn't harm anyone but they also put their faith in someone to solve the riddle and defuse the bomb. They didn't suddenly change personalities because of a different writer. The fourth episode they realize Shibasaki knows about Nine and Twelve, so Nine and Twelve enter phase 2 of their plan, which is to make sure Shibasaki makes the connection between the bombings and the Rising Peace Academy. Whether or not he defuses the bombs is not the main point anymore, but Nine and Twelve still make sure the bombings take no innocent lives. I thought it was a reasonable transition but just because you know that the fourth episode was written by another writer shouldn't affect your judgment of Nine and Twelve's character. From the fourth episode on, they just made it clear that 9 and 12 were worried about human fallout, but I gave you clear evidence directly from the show that 9 and 12 may have been worried about human fallout before episode 4 and onwards.

Was the "change" in 9 and 12's personalities the only disjoint in writing you saw?
pakokoSep 5, 2014 10:53 PM
Sep 5, 2014 10:55 PM
Oct 2012
Josh-i said:
>"You're studying science? You must know all about nuclear weapons."
>"In another age, people who blow up buildings would have been called activists."
>the "Athena Project"

this fucking show lol

1. You're studying physics or something?

Yeah, Science and Engineering, and the books in the background speaking on theory of relativity, quantum physics, etc...

2. People who rebel against the government and NOT kill people would have been called activists. They spread terror but not death.

3. You'd think they'd cut with the greek?

Lol, you a joker.

Vox_Populi said:
pakoko said:

After securing the building i.e. removing Lisa, she could have had it searched or waited until Nine and Twelve showed up, captured everyone and then searched it.

In any case, I'm not sure if I agree that searching 9 and 12's hideout is Five's most logical move. 1) 9 shows that he owns several laptops in which all of them are used for hacking and not once do we know if he's carrying anything of value within the laptops; 2) 5 has shown, especially when she hacked into 9's laptop before the subway bombing, that she's more than capable of looking into 9's laptops without necessarily knowing where they are. What evidence would she need from them anyway? She knows they're terrorists and she has all the evidence proving that they are so what more does she need?

Evidence maybe hinting where the plutonium is. Fair enough on Nine's laptops, but that was just an example. And regardless, if she did capture them, at the very least she'd need evidence to show to the Japanese how and why she knows those three are the terrorists. They've been lenient so far, but I doubt they'd just take her conclusion at face value.

There was more to gain by not blowing up, even with your two reasons.

Five didn't wait until Lisa overheard the conversation and left. She waited for Lisa to reveal herself on the streets. Chances are that Five didn't know about the new hideout until Lisa came out of it because I'm assuming Nine and Twelve are just crazy good at covering their tracks.

I understand that. I'm saying, if she wanted to capture Lisa, why not send a team instead of a postman with a bomb and capture her then? Especially since, that bomb clearly was meant for the building and not to actually kill anyone.

I disagree. Whenever the location of a fugitive is revealed, protocol isn't to make a move immediately. They could have easily staked the building for a while, and created a plan to deter all means of escape, which really should have been fairly simple. If they surrounded the building, what would Nine and Twelve have done?

Yeah, I'd agree she's not thinking straight. I'd also say that I don't think her objective is to kill Nine and Twelve either.

I'm not trying to nitpick with this moment either. But just blowing up their location, when she could have planned an assault, makes just no sense.

I think you guys are forgetting a specific, crucial part.

Clarence, Five's assistant, specifically stated that the FBI"S GOAL IS TO RETRIEVE THE PLUTONIUM.

But Five's spearheading the entire project and operation. The Fbi wants the plutonium recovered but since Five's in power, she gets to do as she wants with the plutonium a side thought.

Five wishes to play a game and crush her opponents. Twelve's not involved, only Nine. Which would make sense in episode five regarding the flashback and only those two.

The key part I'd like to make is that Five is in control and she is the authoritative control. From stopping the FBI from shooting to leader of the control room in episode seven. What she does is law but again, her powers are getting tested from the Japanese Department, she can't play around left and right. Time's running out.

Five wished to create tension with the group. The way Five made a deduction that she's nothing but a nuisance or a third wheel who lags the team behind shows she knows what she must be feeling. The running away was planned or might happen. And if you don't believe me, read the next line.

On the location, Five sent a mass text in episode five to everyone in Tokyo that she found Sphinx and since Lisa has her phone, I don't think it's hard with the knowledge of records to find Lisa's cell phone and track its location and send a bomb her way. She looked up her history and files. It wouldn't be out of her power anyways.

Takuan_Soho said:
pakoko said:
1) That's dealing with characters and has nothing to do with how the story is disjointed. Blame the characters, not the story.

pakoko said:
2) They were pacifists from the start. Their plan was to destroy the buildings owned by the members of the Rising Peace Academy, but they ALWAYS made sure everyone was evacuated and safe.

i agree on the first, disagree on the rest.

I'm answering the last part. Rather than explode all the bombs in the first episode, they started off slow and got all to evacuate the building rather than blow shit up from the start. The actions are meticulous. It started off a fire Also, note how long it took to heave the phreatic explosion to take place. Roughly five, to seven minutes. Fire trucks and co doesn't come that fast, it just doesn't happen. The workers inside called everyone to leave in a orderly manner, the fire alarm rang to have all evacuate. However, once debris is falling, people evacuate and try to get the hell out of there.The explosions were taken into consideration and the time it would take to ensure safety to humans.

On episode two, Nine held cameras watching Roppongi Police Department, watching all the police officers leave away before making the bomb explode. Now the debris, you got me but even then, I'm sure the first thing a pedestrian doesn't do is wait and get squashed. Again, they're minimizing risk to human life but maximizing attention to them.

Episode three was an abandoned shrine, so no human deaths might have occurred at all.

Episode four wasn't real.

Episode five was to keep the police interested and don't underestimate their goals. But Five intercepted them from that point on.
Sep 5, 2014 11:03 PM
Oct 2012
orchidork said:
BRK25 said:

Go to the first episode. Twelve was doing things his way and was only with Nine cause they were friends. He's joking and following Nine's orders, that's all.

Episode three. Hey Nine what are YOU going to do if they don't find this bomb?

Episode Five: YOU seem to be putting a lot of trust into this detective.

Never did he say we, or what should we do, it was based on Nine's objectives.

Not we, YOU. He's never been to involved with the plan, they're friends but Nine has a solid objective, Twelve was there for the ride and he wants to live a normal life from the looks of it. If anything, Nine wants the bomb to go off and get people on the plan but Twelve's an assistant.

That's why I can understand, he's second guessing after witnessing Lisa nearly dying, he saw first hand the fear and danger going on.

i didn't realize this but it makes sense since 9 is the mastermind to every plan which 12 just goes along with. he's 9's accomplice. it still doesn't change the fact that 12's attachment to lisa is weird since they didn't spend that much time together and 9 and 12 have been with each other for years. if we knew what's going through 12's head things would be clearer.

i can't tell if 9's going to go after 12 because of his attachment to 9 or if he's going to avoid going after 9 because of his attachment to 9. if i had to predict it would be the former because of character development and all.

i really can't stand lisa or 5. they told lisa to stay inside for a reason but she pulls illogical stunts anyway. she should've realized that by running away she was putting 9 and 12 in danger which she obviously didn't want. if anything happens to 9 and 12 now it will be completely her fault

Give the poor girl a break. She can't think too far ahead. She ran away with no goal set in mind from episode three. Think about that. This episode, she just doesn't want to cause any more problems or issues so she feels it is best she left them. She wasn't thinking about Sphinx and terrorism, she thought on giving them peace and detract herself from the group.

Oh and they told her before the bomb to not leave. I'm sure that rule was gone or forgotten after a bomb nearly killed you.
Sep 5, 2014 11:14 PM

Jun 2013
BRK25 said:

I think you guys are forgetting a specific, crucial part.

Clarence, Five's assistant, specifically stated that the FBI"S GOAL IS TO RETRIEVE THE PLUTONIUM.

But Five's spearheading the entire project and operation. The Fbi wants the plutonium recovered but since Five's in power, she gets to do as she wants with the plutonium a side thought.

Five wishes to play a game and crush her opponents. Twelve's not involved, only Nine. Which would make sense in episode five regarding the flashback and only those two.

The key part I'd like to make is that Five is in control and she is the authoritative control. From stopping the FBI from shooting to leader of the control room in episode seven. What she does is law but again, her powers are getting tested from the Japanese Department, she can't play around left and right. Time's running out.

Five wished to create tension with the group. The way Five made a deduction that she's nothing but a nuisance or a third wheel who lags the team behind shows she knows what she must be feeling. The running away was planned or might happen. And if you don't believe me, read the next line.

On the location, Five sent a mass text in episode five to everyone in Tokyo that she found Sphinx and since Lisa has her phone, I don't think it's hard with the knowledge of records to find Lisa's cell phone and track its location and send a bomb her way. She looked up her history and files. It wouldn't be out of her power anyways.

Thank you. Five is the playmaker here, not anyone else. Vox_Populi the strategies you would use to go about arresting terrorists are interesting to read but I'm not here to debate how Five should have gone about arresting Nine and Twelve. As much as I'd want to, we both can't change what Five has done and only lament the decisions she made. I'd rather spend my time theorizing about what's to come and not complain over what's already happened and can't be changed. Hope you understand. It was a fun discussion while it lasted, though.
Sep 5, 2014 11:32 PM

Aug 2013
I thought Lisa was well quick to escape of the bomb, the first time in the anime she was fast to something, but I like her character, gives a touch of reality to history
but she was captured and put in a trap, poor girl, always faring evil
I am eager to know what's the plan of Nine and Twelve ..
Sep 5, 2014 11:32 PM
Oct 2012
pakoko said:

Thank you. Five is the playmaker here, not anyone else. Vox_Populi the strategies you would use to go about arresting terrorists are interesting to read but I'm not here to debate how Five should have gone about arresting Nine and Twelve. As much as I'd want to, we both can't change what Five has done and only lament the decisions she made. I'd rather spend my time theorizing about what's to come and not complain over what's already happened and can't be changed. Hope you understand. It was a fun discussion while it lasted, though.

Just saying, Five is playing a game and does not follow protocol when it comes to arresting others. Clearly she cares more on capturing them through extremists means and using irrational plans to get effective results. If she wanted them arrested, she'd had gotten that hideout filled with policemen but she didn't. She needs to be certain of the location. She knows there's not a lot of time and needs to find the plutonium swiftly rather than use interrogation that probably won't work.
Sep 6, 2014 12:52 AM

Jun 2013
So this episode we learn that Lisa is absolutely fucking retarded, who the fuck puts pocky in curry????
Sep 6, 2014 1:44 AM

Nov 2012
Wow, this series has been totally worth watching so far. I really liked this episode: slow, but with character development, information, and proper tension building.

One thing though, Nine and Twelve should've given Lisa a crash course on common sense AND cooking. Day one.

Can't wait for next week's episode :3
kchorrex2012Sep 6, 2014 2:03 AM
Sep 6, 2014 1:57 AM

Dec 2013
WTF LISA. FOR REAL. How DUMB can one be?!?!??! Dafaq... Runs outside in public alone. God damnit!!!! This is so frustrating. Its like shes BEGGING to get caught. Soooooo annoying damnit. Its like she doesn't know the scale that the two guys are working on. She can't even begin to imagine. So lame. Well. Now shes screwed. Five caught her. Its like she wanted that to happen all alone... that dumb girl Lisa. Hope she get whats she deserves. Sorry for being harsh but I'm so mad.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Sep 6, 2014 3:56 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
People, SLOW is good. This was much better than last episode's over the top Hollywood action. We get back to the characters and the plot. Yamazaki is slowly guiding us to what happened back in the day.

The Japanese police really let's Five and her American backers get away with too much. Bombs and now kidnappings. This is going to get nasty.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 6, 2014 9:49 AM
Oct 2012
People expressing their anger and hatred when it was answered before.

Lazy people.

Marzan said:
People, SLOW is good. This was much better than last episode's over the top Hollywood action. We get back to the characters and the plot. Yamazaki is slowly guiding us to what happened back in the day.

The Japanese police really let's Five and her American backers get away with too much. Bombs and now kidnappings. This is going to get nasty.

Everything you said. The FBI is getting a lot of problems, barely are their power getting held. The FBI wants the PLutonium and since Five's a spy, from the ISA nonetheless, things aren't going well.

Surprisingly, Twelve said he doesn't have time, I'm thinking he is the first to go. The look Nine had at realizing how much time he really has made Nine felt scared, like he didn't want him to go out this way.
Sep 6, 2014 9:53 AM

Apr 2012
My god this anime is really starting to go downhill. It actually started a long time ago.

Major plot events have started causing a huge disconnect from reality for me and the characters are so one dimensional they can be described in a single sentence.

I love the animation and the plot isn't too bad, but just some things blow my freaking mind. The tower at the beginning blew up without any casualties? Yeah, I doubt it. It was forced in there just to make the watcher sympathize with the main characters. Apparently they can't be big bad killers.

The advent to Five was a rocky start. At first I welcomed the break in the episodic nonsense that was going on, but she's just taken my suspension of disbelief to an entirely new level. Chess in the airport? C'mon you're kidding.

This anime had serious potential, but it tried too hard to be like Death Note, and the only thing it's done so far is fall flat on its face.
Sep 6, 2014 10:17 AM

Feb 2014
Well, ladies and gents, we're up to 8 episodes now, and we still have NO idea what Five's beef is with Nine and Twelve.

Lisa still is just taking up screen space and doing nothing of significant importance.

We don't know much more about the Rising Peace Academy than we did last episode.

Oh, yeah, and Nine & Twelve have this big plan they're building up to. Just the wonderful writers reminding you of the plot that's supposed to be there. It's okay though, because we still don't know JACK SHIT about it! Just like most of the things in this show!

What's the bet we're gonna get one huge dump truck of information im the last episode or two? Because I think it's getting more and more likely with each episode.

Sep 6, 2014 10:29 AM
Aug 2014
Darstorm-Sandude said:
What is the name of the song that plays right after the OP in this episode?

it's called 22, there's an youtube link on page 2 in this forum
Sep 6, 2014 10:58 AM

Mar 2014
I have a bad feeling about this.

Five is still a shitty character so far, I am curious about her motivation for messing with Nine and Twelve.
Sep 6, 2014 12:39 PM
Aug 2014
Finally watched Episode 8, it's a good one, I was hoping this one would be a little more crazy considering the ending to 7, but I still enjoyed it. The apartment explosion was awesome, and I really want to know what the dude Shibazaki was talking to discovered. The final three episodes are probably going to be insane, considering this setup and all of the information we still don't have. Unless they opt not to tell us everything, but I really want to know where Nine and Twelve came from and why they are doing what they're doing.
thaumiel
Sep 6, 2014 2:46 PM

Jul 2010
Oh no, Lisa gets kidnapped again .. I wonder when she will grow a pair of balls. Also, they are still quite enigmatic, they are probably keeping the plot twists for the end, but well that was predictable.

Twelve and Nine's trust is quite in danger right now, can we expect a fight between them pretty soon?
Sep 6, 2014 3:47 PM

Jan 2014
Best episode till now, in my opinion.
Sep 6, 2014 5:51 PM
Mar 2013
Heavy sigh.

Where is this going?
Sep 6, 2014 6:44 PM

May 2013
Hmm, episode starts with some calm OST.

Aw, poor Shibazaki got suspended and got his badge taken away.
But even so, he still investigates about the Athena Plan with his friend, Hamura!

Lisa is captured and Twelve's going to save her even though he knows it's a trap.
I don't know why it seems like Nine and Twelve (and maybe Five) have limited time left.
Are they like living bombs or something? Tick tock.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Sep 6, 2014 6:50 PM
Jan 2014
I believe this episode guranteed that I should not even waste my time watching this anime anymore. IN THE BEGINNING IT HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL. With an interesting plot, unique characters, and beautiful animation.

I just feel so betrayed.

Literally all the characters except for Ace Detective and maybe even Five are written and handled so horribly. Lisa, the ambassador of crappy plot-devices with no common sense, takes the cake but how they are handling Twelve is a close second. Why would you leave the only friend you trusted for years and shared the same pain through for a total stranger you barely have a conversation with and only met a few weeks ago???? The one who you were so ready to blow to bits with a kururin. Twelve you are a dick. Especially like where did this caring and kindness for her come from???

You can say it is because love. You can say it is because Twelve is now able to care for someone from the world outside of his. You can say anything because IT IS NEVER EXPLAINED. Their whole relationship is vague because we don't know why Twelve cares about Lisa. She has done nothing to earn that respect. It is only because she has a yellow aura??? Which I am guessing that means she is special...WHICH IS NEVER SHOWN WHY EVER other than for the fact that she puts pocky in curry.
She is something special alright.

Twelve's character literally flipped a 180 from a creepy, cutie-patootie psychopath to this caring protector out of the blue. This is not character development, this is just some kid turning on and off a life switch. If the story needed tension between Nine and Twelve it should have been because of different morals. Such as one only wanting to blow up buildings like they are doing now and one lusting for a bodycount.
Sep 6, 2014 8:16 PM
Oct 2012
Labuu said:
I believe this episode guranteed that I should not even waste my time watching this anime anymore. IN THE BEGINNING IT HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL. With an interesting plot, unique characters, and beautiful animation.

I just feel so betrayed.

Literally all the characters except for Ace Detective and maybe even Five are written and handled so horribly. Lisa, the ambassador of crappy plot-devices with no common sense, takes the cake but how they are handling Twelve is a close second. Why would you leave the only friend you trusted for years and shared the same pain through for a total stranger you barely have a conversation with and only met a few weeks ago???? The one who you were so ready to blow to bits with a kururin. Twelve you are a dick. Especially like where did this caring and kindness for her come from???

You can say it is because love. You can say it is because Twelve is now able to care for someone from the world outside of his. You can say anything because IT IS NEVER EXPLAINED. Their whole relationship is vague because we don't know why Twelve cares about Lisa. She has done nothing to earn that respect. It is only because she has a yellow aura??? Which I am guessing that means she is special...WHICH IS NEVER SHOWN WHY EVER other than for the fact that she puts pocky in curry.
She is something special alright.

Twelve's character literally flipped a 180 from a creepy, cutie-patootie psychopath to this caring protector out of the blue. This is not character development, this is just some kid turning on and off a life switch. If the story needed tension between Nine and Twelve it should have been because of different morals. Such as one only wanting to blow up buildings like they are doing now and one lusting for a bodycount.

Every single question you had, I answered in clear bright letters to give the picture. and if you don't believe me, rewatch the first episode and the third and the fifth. Pay attention to the choice of dialogue.

And you are going to drop it when there's three episodes left? Your loss.

Big info dump coming next episode, calling it.
Sep 6, 2014 10:19 PM

Mar 2013
I'm really curious as to what their plan really is. The fact that Twelve doubted their own actions most likely means that the next step in their plan, can cause minor or major harm to the public.
Lisa pulled off a reasonable move by running away, but by being captured by Five and Twelve now looking for her, it could cause more problem for them.
Really excited for next ep, hopefully they could answer some of my questions.
Sep 6, 2014 10:38 PM
Oct 2012
Terror-in-tokyo.com

IF one heads to the special page and decipher it, it seems we are in for a treat for the next three episode and has said the background information was intentional and there will be a conclusion to all the characters and the use of the plutonium .
Sep 6, 2014 10:52 PM

Jun 2013
BRK25 said:
Terror-in-tokyo.com

IF one heads to the special page and decipher it, it seems we are in for a treat for the next three episode and has said the background information was intentional and there will be a conclusion to all the characters and the use of the plutonium .

Oh man that's a bummer, the whole website's in Japanese =/ would have liked to take a crack at it.
Sep 7, 2014 1:20 AM

Jul 2013
Rueby said:
When Nine said "Please, don't go"

I just can't, Twelve, how dare you?

Someone understands! Nine is very precious to me and I will NOT BE OKAY if he ends up hurt!
Sep 7, 2014 2:17 AM

Nov 2009
Lisa is a freaking walking plot device. Come on, there's no need to be so lame. I would rather enjoyed watching Shibazaki reading archives and blackmailing people for 20 minutes than what we've got in the end.

Sep 7, 2014 2:22 AM

Feb 2014
Very good episode. Can't decide between Barakamon and Zankyou for AOTS. Probably Barakamon, though.

As for characterization. Five is outright bad, archetype of evil anime enemy, but Twelve, Nine and Lisa are very good written characters and Twelve's actions in this episode are not that out of character as many are claiming. I'm not in mood to explain it all from the start but I suggest you all to re-watch it again, back from the first ep. and pay close attention to dialogues, facial expressions and gestures.

I agree that Lisa is so far a plot device without any clear purpose in the story but her character is far from bad written.
slovak125Sep 7, 2014 2:42 AM
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Sep 7, 2014 3:00 AM

Mar 2013
pakoko said:
BRK25 said:
Terror-in-tokyo.com

Oh man that's a bummer, the whole website's in Japanese =/ would have liked to take a crack at it.

That just makes it more of a challenge. Don't back down like a pussy.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Sep 7, 2014 6:49 AM

Jun 2013
DerpHole said:
pakoko said:

Lol you're right. I will use all the Japanese words in my inventory to crack the code: Oppai keikkaku tempura udon wasabi desu desu.
Sep 7, 2014 8:52 AM
Oct 2012
pakoko said:
DerpHole said:

Lol you're right. I will use all the Japanese words in my inventory to crack the code: Oppai keikkaku tempura udon wasabi desu desu.

http://terror-in-tokyo.com/special.html

Use the google translation and try to make sense of the words. Does look to be that Watanabe did the planning and background near the end. I'll ty to decipher it the best way I may.

PLease tell us the attractions(Events?) in the future.

Kimura- Five has purposes other than dispatched for Shibazaki(Japanese police?) from the FBI

The next line was inelligble or hard to decipher but the last line.

Episode 8 or later, the roots of each characters will be interlaced. The reason why Sphinx took the plutonium shall be revealed as well. Up until episode 7 we have been taking the foreshadowing(plot or indication) slowly. Expect a chance of pace from episode 8 and onward, more attractions or events in this case.

Any question for the audience?

I think a real value or question will be placed in the final story(last third of the show?)

I think of seeing it to the end and the ending for all the characters will be shown at the end for all to see.

There are other interviews but I can't get the page to load fluidly on my laptop, there are a lot of things running in that background.
Sep 7, 2014 11:56 AM

Dec 2010
Not sure if Lisa or Nine is more to blame, really.

I feel like Five ruined this, she intervened in VON's plan unvolve and we'll either be unable to see them in this run(hopefully there will be a followup) or it'd be totally rushed/discarded which would be terrible.
Sep 7, 2014 12:43 PM
Mar 2011
So Lisa betrayed them. Surprised, that she didn't show any resistance. I don't think we already know what 12 is trying to do right now...
Sep 7, 2014 8:01 PM

Oct 2011
Horrible feeling. Nine, Twelve, and Five will die in the end. Have they been exposed to the plutonium radiation? Limited time.

Only Lisa will live T____T
Sep 7, 2014 10:55 PM

Jun 2009
Lisa, Lisa...she needs to be added to urban dictionary. Forget Felicia, it's going to be "Bye Lisa"
12 left 9 for a girl. I thought 12 was the more twisted one so it's weird to see him in his feelings.

random: that donut box was awesome as opposed to the flat ones I'm used too. Great, now I want donuts.
Sep 8, 2014 12:40 AM

Mar 2010
Well we all knew Lisa would fuck up
Anyway, another good episode So far the show has been consistently good and I hope we'll get a Cowboy Bebop ending instead of Death Note's 'bad end'
WhisperBitSep 8, 2014 12:45 AM
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Sep 8, 2014 4:11 AM

Oct 2013
Good grief, Five really needs to stop speaking English.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 8, 2014 7:19 AM

Oct 2013
starting to reveal what is realy going on
I can only assume now they they have a really short life because of the testing they had on them and they want revenge against the people that caused it
now they don't want to take action anymore because they don't want innocents to die
well lets see >.> only 3 episodes left
[/quote]
Sep 8, 2014 7:34 AM

Nov 2011
Yohimo_asakura said:
Best episode till now, in my opinion.

Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing. Other than the ever-so-brief tension back when Five was first introduced, I've enjoyed the Shibazaki & co. scenes in this episode more than anything else in the series to date.

The story quality is still crap, though. Five is awful as a character. Our MCs are still flat. The plot has become very illogical thanks to holes. Even the symbolic themes are barely present anymore. There's no tension because we have a universal view without any background... Don't even get me started on this damsel in distress stuff.

Bleh.

I can't imagine this anime getting any better at this point. It's just too late in the season. Hopefully it won't degrade any further. It really sucks, because this had a lot of potential starting out.
Sep 8, 2014 1:14 PM
Mar 2014
Poor Lisa and why is Nine so cold man...

Go save her Twelve
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

872 by Bruh69XD »»
May 21, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Djidji - Jul 5, 2014

544 by Yushh »»
May 20, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

420 by Mr_Fudgee »»
May 19, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

349 by Mr_Fudgee »»
May 17, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

417 by ozrodger46 »»
May 6, 7:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.