Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2014 10:43 AM

Jan 2013
Rayzer said:
What are you guys talking about? It wasn't rushed! It was actually longer version which is seriously awesome!!!
Seriously They just adapted 2 chapters of the manga in this episode so it wasn't rushed!

Honestly thought it was around 4 or 5 chapters. Just recently checked to see that it's only 3 chapters in. (2, but there's a bit of the 3rd)

Looks like I messed up there. Even with that negative comment made by me, the anime adaption looks amazing so far. (Considering that it's Studio Pierrot I didn't have too high of hopes) So I'm having high hopes.

Jun 2013
UnbornMVs said:
Best animation since Shingeki no Kyojin.
And thanks FUNimation for the horrible censors.

Considering 50% of SnK was a fucking slideshow, that's not exactly a compliment.

Jan 2014
Being a non-manga reader for this one, I thought the first episode was done very well. Loved the dark essence of this episode. Hopefully, this anime will NOT BE rushed as i think it will be a 12 episode anime. It'l be nice to see good pacing..and if it needs to overlap to a next season I DONT MIND XD
Jul 3, 2014 10:46 AM

Apr 2014
Kreion said:

It bloody well was.

The manga starts much slower, there's more narration by Kaneki and more depth to the universe. The anime completely ignored the in-universe literary references, it missed out his line about a story written about him being a tragedy.

It changed how he met Touka, making her seem far more sympathetic than she is at the start of the series...it doesn't matter if it was actually longer or shorter, it felt rushed to me. And it wasn't two chapters, there are scenes up to chapter 4 at least in that one episode. The coffee bit was skipped too.

I mean how can you not say it was rushed.

It has longer fighting gory scenes and they just removed the "Big Girl Restaurant" scene and the little girl scene which is just actually destroys the mood then you said it was rushed? What was wrong with you people? And they altered and those scenes which is actually a good choice!

Lyrisia said:
I'm pretty disappointed that they skipped a bunch of stuffs... I really hope it won't be too rushed next just to get the badass moments of Kaneki...
I guess I had set my expectations too high for this >< I thought the episode was okay...

Lots of stuffs? It was just two scenes and they added a badass scene in replace!
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 3, 2014 10:47 AM

Oct 2010
Rip Kana
Jul 3, 2014 10:48 AM

Jul 2013
I wonder what it feels like to have body part shoved in your mouth.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2014 10:49 AM
May 2014
ex_necross said:
UnbornMVs said:
And thanks FUNimation for the horrible censors.

Considering 50% of SnK was a fucking slideshow, that's not exactly a compliment.

Sure buddy, 50% slideshows.. what a joke.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 3, 2014 10:50 AM

Aug 2012
It already starts full of plot holes, always a good sign.
Jul 3, 2014 10:51 AM

Apr 2014
ActofGod said:

Looks like I messed up there. Even with that negative comment made by me, the anime adaption looks amazing so far. (Considering that it's Studio Pierrot I didn't have too high of hopes) So I'm having high hopes.

Then next time make sure that your thoughts was right... Well I agree with you that Pierrot done a good adaption just like Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii which is good too.

And I'm having a feeling this Anime will fill up/replace Bleach because I still missed it.

And for those who keeps saying it's rushed Do you guys even read the manga?!
Jul 3, 2014 10:52 AM

Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
Kreion said:
I didn't like it...it was way to fast. The manga moves at a good pace and has a lot if interesting symbolic references...this felt like a very watered down version of Tokyo Ghoul.

I know it's only episode one, but it feels like this is confirming my fears that this is going to be 12 episodes of rushed story and pretty animation...honeslty I was hoping for a lot more out of this anime.

WorldInverse said:

I read the manga and agree that the pace is faster than the manga, however they wrapped it up pretty well IMO. The emotional pain Kaneki went through is very well done. I still hope for coffee scene next ep :D

ActofGod said:
Feels a bit rushed, a few chapters covered in one episode, but otherwise it did excellent in terms of animation.

For me the only issue is the anime is the pacing, it's around 6 chapters into episode 1 so no idea on whether or not it will be more than 12 episodes, but it's more than likely only 12.

Sadly I'll never be pleased with anime adaptions, but for those who are watching Tokyo Ghoul having never read it will enjoy it perfectly fine. (Think that goes for a lot of people in terms of how they feel towards anime adaptions of their favorite mangas)

What are you guys talking about? It wasn't rushed! It was actually longer version which is seriously awesome!!!
Seriously They just adapted 2 chapters of the manga in this episode so it wasn't rushed!

You don't read the manga if you think this was 2 chapters! This was definitely the 5 first chapters of the manga! A lot of details were skipped over! A lot!

Took a lot of time until Kaneki got into that state. The time is undetermined but most certainly around a month, without eating anything.
He didn't isolated himself automatically either. He sees his friend at least two times in that time.
He meets Touka, after the incident, 3 times. Here it was turned into 1 occurrence.
He had the choice of eating human meat, that looked like a normal beef, and he even found out an almost alternative for human meat.
Tokyo Ghoul is strongly influenced by Kafka, and that inspiration is even referred in the manga, but here is totally removed.
The kind of stories that Kaneki and Rize read was also removed.

They removed a lot and a lot of content. Is not even funny. But they were still able to make this episode freaking good, but I can't see how the next episodes will be able to be good if they remove that much stuff.
bigivelfhqJul 3, 2014 11:00 AM
Jul 3, 2014 10:53 AM
Mar 2012
Rayzer said:
Kreion said:

It bloody well was.

The manga starts much slower, there's more narration by Kaneki and more depth to the universe. The anime completely ignored the in-universe literary references, it missed out his line about a story written about him being a tragedy.

It changed how he met Touka, making her seem far more sympathetic than she is at the start of the series...it doesn't matter if it was actually longer or shorter, it felt rushed to me. And it wasn't two chapters, there are scenes up to chapter 4 at least in that one episode. The coffee bit was skipped too.

I mean how can you not say it was rushed.

It has longer fighting gory scenes and they just removed the "Big Girl Restaurant" scene and the little girl scene which is just actually destroys the mood then you said it was rushed? What was wrong with you people? And they altered and those scenes which is actually a good choice!

Lyrisia said:
I'm pretty disappointed that they skipped a bunch of stuffs... I really hope it won't be too rushed next just to get the badass moments of Kaneki...
I guess I had set my expectations too high for this >< I thought the episode was okay...

Lots of stuffs? It was just two scenes and they added a badass scene in replace!

The manga is not focused on the fighting, that is a part of it, but it's more psychological than that most of the time. The first few chapters are about his realization that he is no longer human. Adding fight scenes and removing Kaneki's thoughts makes the show weaker not stronger.

Also the above user posted how much stuff was skipped over - there is a lot missing from this episode.
KreionJul 3, 2014 10:57 AM
Jul 3, 2014 10:54 AM

Apr 2009
FrancWyvern said:

Such as
Jul 3, 2014 11:01 AM

Apr 2014
Kreion said:

The manga is not focused on the fighting, that is a part of it, but it's more psychological than that most of the time. The first few chapters are about his realization that he is no longer human. Adding fight scenes and removing Kaneki's thoughts makes the show weaker not stronger.

Also the above user posted how much stuff was skipped over - there is a lot missing from this episode.

Well I just did checked it again... And yes they cut out some stuff with chapters 3 and 4 which actually useless anyway...
Maybe they just wanted to make it darker theme that's why they cut those out since those scenes just destroys the mood for it's first episode.
Jul 3, 2014 11:01 AM

Jul 2010
Well that was a really damn good start IMO.I had this feeling that im going to be disappointed, since i was hyping for TG since months, but now half of my hope was restored.My only complain is that story seems to be rushed, and personally i prefer slower stories with more character development and everything.
KanaHana did an amazing job there.She should definitely have more roles like this and yandere Nadeko from Monogatari.

Last minute of episode with TK gave me goosebumps.Want more.
Ah, and censoring hurts my eyes.I want old times back ._.
incompleteAEGISJul 3, 2014 11:06 AM
Jul 3, 2014 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
Wow. That's pretty much what I felt when I watched this episode, so far very intriguing concept and characters. The emotions portrayed was superb and very well done, Hanazawa Kana doing a good job on the voice acting too.

It did a good job to catch my attention as a non-manga reader. I'm really looking forward for the next episode.

"We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

―Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX.
Jul 3, 2014 11:03 AM

Jul 2013
Kerozinn said:
who had this great idea to put ghoul organs into a normal human? this felt off and way to convenient.

the ghoul expert on tv was albert einstein it seems.
i dont know the source material for this but it felt extremely fast paced to me.

the animations felt fluid and the art is fine

anyways..this was a good first episode and i wanna see more. 3/5

ah dont worry about it. it will be explained later how it was not a coincidence, but it is a big*** spoiler and probably material for second season. hell, the translation hasnt reached so far yet.

well, in general, you can expect him later to be one of the best and badass MC's i have seen. if you are interested in the manga, check it out, the first episode covered around 2 chapters and bit of 3., 4. and 5. chapter, basically around 100-120 pages of material in 1 episodes.
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/tokyo-ghoul-r3056

they cut out of tons of additional scenes, it didnt affect the story so far (only the depht of the characters and the actions), trying to keep my expectation lower because it seems to be a 12 episode anime... (sigh, at least it wont be as bad as pupa...)

also about the coffee scene, probably they will include in the next episode, including the fight between him and ****** (sry, wont spoil anything for now :P)
UrekJul 3, 2014 11:09 AM
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jul 3, 2014 11:06 AM

Sep 2010
For once, I'm glad there is some censors, I would puke myself if I saw the rest lol
Jul 3, 2014 11:07 AM

Nov 2009
Holy shit, this is ... pure genius .............
Haven't taken a liking in any show for such a long time, but THIS ................ this is totally something else.
Jul 3, 2014 11:07 AM

Aug 2008
firejet said:
For once, I'm glad there is some censors, I would puke myself if I saw the rest lol

I don't know what to think about this. It's thrilling to watch but ugh, humans (at least our main chara) eating humans...

But ahh, Hana Kanazawa with her evil voice <3
Jul 3, 2014 11:08 AM
Mar 2012
Rayzer said:
Kreion said:

Well I just did checked it again... And yes they cut out some stuff with chapters 3 and 4 which actually useless anyway...
Maybe they just wanted to make it darker theme that's why they cut those out since those scenes just destroys the mood for it's first episode.

No, you don't get to just call parts of the manga useless and remove them in favour of 'darker' content. The original content was psychological and interesting, hinting subtly towards the dakness inside humanity - this was just senseless violence with none of the detail of the original series.
Jul 3, 2014 11:09 AM

Jun 2013
kikohunter said:
ex_necross said:

Sure buddy, 50% slideshows.. what a joke.

Do you really not remember how much of it was still images with voice over it, or still images panning across the screen? You must be looking back with rose-tinted glasses, because SnK was in a big part a slideshow.
Jul 3, 2014 11:10 AM

Dec 2012
This was great. As expected by the studio who made Another. (you should watch Another if you haven't; it has the same dark eerie feeling)

WhisperBit said:
Looks interesting but that censorship...

What censorship? I didn't see any, I think.

Got that?
Jul 3, 2014 11:11 AM

Aug 2012
Amarrez said:
FrancWyvern said:

Such as

- Main character clearly got a big piece of his shoulder taken by a bite in a region where people are frequently being eaten alive and no one cares about it.
- The authorities clearly have a certain level of information about how the Ghouls work, but no one noticed that the girl was a Ghoul during the surgery or the autopsy.
- The protagonist, the doctor and the mc best friend completely ignores the girl who died right besides him
- Doctor makes an unauthorized transplant on the mc and says he's going to take full responsibility. Don't tell mc about the transplant and acts as the girl (which the main character would likely know) who died besides him never existed.
- No one questioned the two teenagers alone on a construction ground at night.
- If the Ghouls can't be hurt by normal weapons, how did the girl died? Does that only count when convenient?
Jul 3, 2014 11:14 AM

Jul 2013
FrancWyvern said:
Amarrez said:

Such as

- Main character clearly got a big piece of his shoulder taken by a bite in a region where people are frequently being eaten alive and no one cares about it.
- The authorities clearly have a certain level of information about how the Ghouls work, but no one noticed that the girl was a Ghoul during the surgery or the autopsy.
- The protagonist, the doctor and the mc best friend completely ignores the girl who died right besides him
- Doctor makes an unauthorized transplant on the mc and says he's going to take full responsibility. Don't tell mc about the transplant and acts as the girl (which the main character would likely know) who died besides him never existed.
- If the Ghouls can't be hurt by normal weapons, how did the girl died? Does that only count when convenient?

to answer your questions
UrekJul 3, 2014 11:18 AM
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jul 3, 2014 11:14 AM

Mar 2014
Pretty cool so far. The characterizations seem a bit typical and have been overdone, for sure...
I'm really liking the world, and the setup for the story, though.

Also, surprisingly enough, I really liked the art & animation. I guess even Pierrot's got some hidden talent under it's belt.
::End of Transmission::

Jul 3, 2014 11:16 AM

Apr 2009
FrancWyvern said:
Amarrez said:

Such as

No one said the ghouls can't be hurt by normal weapons, but simple kitchen knives aren't going to do much. Having a tonne of steel drop on you would.

Mod Note: major plot spoiler removed. DO NOT DISCUSS EVENTS IN THE MANGA WHICH HAPPEN AFTER THIS POINT IN THE ANIME!
rodacJul 4, 2014 12:08 AM

Apr 2014
Now this is how a good first episode should look like... hooked me up right away. Cant wait to see more
Jan 2014
I'm thinking that Rize was considered a very special and high priority Ghoul and so when her organs were transplanted, Kaneki acquired those unique abilities. All just speculation. This first episode was eye-catching enough for me to want to start the manga.
Jul 3, 2014 11:17 AM

Oct 2013
Wow. I didn't expect all the blood and gore haha
Jul 3, 2014 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
Amazing episode! I was kind of scared the first episode was going to be disappointing, but thank god it wasn't. So far, it's a great start and Kamishiro might be a potential waifu.
Jul 3, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2013
Blood, Blood, and more Blood!

Very good first episode, nice interesting platform setting. It will be interesting to see all the ins and outs of the ghoul community.
Jul 3, 2014 11:20 AM
May 2014
galimx said:
Fast paced, less than 13 episodes?

Anime uses cheap elements to appeal to masses (gore, blood, edgy, good music). For me pretty average.

Cuz being edgy, is bad? And lol music is cheap?
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 3, 2014 11:21 AM

Apr 2009
Kitoge said:
Wow. I didn't expect all the blood and gore haha

What on earth were you expecting then
Jul 3, 2014 11:22 AM
Jan 2014
I totally didn't expect that animation quality from Studio Pierrot. It is rather nice.
The character designs are good, as well.
The OP is amazing, it's from Ling Tosite Sigure so it that's how it should be.
Had goosebumps throughout the episode, it flew by so fast though :(
Now I really can't wait until the next one.
Touka is freaking awesome.
Jul 3, 2014 11:23 AM

Apr 2014
FrancWyvern said:
Amarrez said:

Such as

If you haven't read the manga, which is clear from this post, I don't think it's safe to go around claiming things have plotholes. Don't worry, it gets explained.
Jul 3, 2014 11:24 AM

Mar 2012
FrancWyvern said:
Amarrez said:

Such as

This is only a plot hole or illogical if this contradict with another confirmed FACT in the story. You basically saying this contradict how doctor will act in this situation. However, how you know this doctor and everything that happen in the hospital is normal? Some hint, that doctor check to make sure MC really can't eat regular food and make up some bullshyt excuse even though it is common knowledge (on TV) that ghoul can't eat regular food. Now, just think about the possibility instead of jumping to assumption to contradict the plot and call it plot hole.
Jul 3, 2014 11:26 AM

Feb 2013
I really liked it! My only concern is that they are rushing it a bit but who knows maybe they'll slow it down for the next couple of episodes? I really hope so because this show/series has so much potential. If you haven't already read the manga I suggest you do so.
Jul 3, 2014 11:28 AM

May 2010
UnbornMVs said:

no..just no.

there tons of shows and movies with clearly better animation.
Jul 3, 2014 11:28 AM

May 2013
The only action filled thing was the end imo x.x They shouldve taken more time to explain the setting tho .. it was slightly different from the manga as well.
Jul 3, 2014 11:29 AM

May 2012
great start, I stopped eating when I watched this..
Human eating contest :) hope Ill last till the end if this :D

Jul 3, 2014 11:29 AM

Jan 2014
YES YES FUCKING YES!!!! 10/10 First episode, so much gore, dark as hell, and the animation!!! I can't wait till the uncensored version comes out! :D
Jul 3, 2014 11:30 AM

Jun 2009
love it soo far cant wait to see uta and yomo in action as well + looking forward too see op and ed in full animation and lengh
Jul 3, 2014 11:30 AM

Mar 2008
Now.. that was disturbing. Animation was top notch, me likes

I think it is already hinted that the doctor isn't ... "innocent", correct me if I'm wrong though
Jul 3, 2014 11:31 AM

May 2013
precious said:
Now.. that was disturbing. Animation was top notch, me likes

I think it is already hinted that the doctor isn't ... "innocent", correct me if I'm wrong though

Yup , tho that isn't even fully revealed in the manga yet ...
But they really DID hint a whole LOT from the later stuff of tokyo ghoul
Jul 3, 2014 11:32 AM
Mar 2013
This was a great first episode

so far the series feels somewhat mature. the start was a little cliché and generic but the rest was brilliant.
Jul 3, 2014 11:32 AM

Oct 2013
Rayzer said:
Kreion said:

Some scenes? From chapter 3 and 4. Not they removed a lot of scenes from chapter 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. All chapter were butchered just to put action, gore and angst.
Destroy the mood? LOL, those scenes developed the mood and gave depth to the story and to the characters. In the anime they even changed the characters. Touka is a totally different person now, and even the ghoul that got killed is a different person. In the manga he was sending Kaneki away, while in the anime he is saying that he will give him a little.
Jul 3, 2014 11:33 AM

May 2013
CategoryKing said:

I've been wondering this myself. I haven't really joined in any conversations online and I don't know many people who ever care for anime so I've never heard any discussion on this. Does anyone know how a Funi version compares to the TV broadcasts?
Funimation version is identical to Tokyo MX rip. Tokyo MX is a public channel,it's obvious that they're going to censor the goriest stuff, we have to wait for the episode to be aired on other channels
Jul 3, 2014 11:34 AM
Dec 2012
I don't even know what the hell I just watched. But for some reason i'm addicted to it now and want to watch more...Am I fucked in the head???...
Jul 3, 2014 11:36 AM

Apr 2014
This looks very promising to me although people seem to be saying the pacing is fast :. I really hope pacing is fixed because I would like this to be 2-cour rather than 1.
Jul 3, 2014 11:36 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Exciting first episode! I didn't expect to see some anime original content for the hook, but it's obvious that it's to catch the attention of those who aren't familiar with the manga. That's usually the case with any adaptation. People usually need to be hooked right away with anime versus reading manga, where they have more time (well idk, for me at least I don't mind manga starting without an intense scene). Anyyyways, I thought it was really good for the first episode. It didn't really feel rush, though yes, they did omit a few things here and there, but what can you do. I'm sure it didn't feel that rushed for those who haven't read the manga. I was disappointed when they changed some stuff around and omitted stuff too with Sidonia last season...as long as they don't change stuff or omit important parts then I think this should be good. But yeah, hopefully it gets more than just one cour because of what the PV showed.

I'm liking Hanae Natsuki's work with Kaneki :)
tingyJul 3, 2014 11:41 AM
Pages (18) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

322 by chris1763 »»
Sep 17, 8:55 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul EX: Celebration of the 10th anniversary of the anime!

nirererin - Jul 3

36 by reTIKYI »»
Aug 12, 11:35 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

521 by RGreatDanton »»
Aug 7, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

850 by Yeryin »»
Jul 31, 5:18 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

431 by Magicalgirl_fan »»
Jul 13, 8:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.