Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Jun 30, 2014 11:31 AM

May 2014
@midnightblade
Yes, Ping Pong IS that good, it's by Masaaki Yuasa, one of the best directors in the industry right now. It's essentially a character study, what drives these athletes to play this sport and why. What's at stake for them and how they feel. No one is an antagonist we see their lives as they are, no sugar coating, all the burdens they carry are shown to us. Our youngest duo of new talents also go through their own arcs. Even side characters are given some humanity, how they aren't worthy to play something they have no talent for.

Mushishi is episodic, you can't really catch up to it quickly, just pick it up and watch the occasional episode.

JoJo has 26 eps first season with 2 arcs, the first one being meh. But JoJo is the epitome of style over substance, it is cheesy self-aware campy 80s fun. That is so unique these days, any fan of action shounen has respect for that franchise.
T3hSourceJun 30, 2014 11:37 AM
Jun 30, 2014 11:36 AM

Oct 2011
This season I will be watching:
Locodol
Higegoto
Sailor Moon Crystal
SAO 2
Sabagebu!
Aldnoah.Zero
Glasslip
Space Dandy
Jinsei
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
Ai Mai Mi
Zankyou no Terror
Magimoji Rurumo
Tokyo Goul
Yama no Susume
Grisaia no Kajitsu
Momo Kyun Sword
Hanayamata
Rail Wars
Tokyo ESP
Minarai Diva
Akame ga Kill

I'm basically watching everything except for the BL series. I may drop some stuff but I'll probably stick with most of it even if it's terrible. I have a lot of free time for a few weeks so I might as well watch as much as I can.
Jun 30, 2014 11:42 AM

Oct 2012
@midnightblade

Ping Pong has a couple heavy-hitter names to it. Masaaki Yuasa and Taiyou Matsumoto are great in their respective fields (Directing and Manga.) Albeit, this is not one of Matsumoto's most renowned manga nor is it Yuasa's most fluid. In fact, looks like Yuasa wasn't given a good enough budget.

However, Ping Pong is one of the most passionate sports anime you'll come across. This one is really about the love for the game. It's intense and smartly written. Plus, it's got a pleasant finish to it. I'm with T3hSource on this one. Check it out. And then, if you find it to your liking, maybe check out the other works by Yuasa (Kaiba, Mind Game, Tatami Galaxy) and Matsumoto (Tekkon Kinkreet and Gogo Monster.)
Jun 30, 2014 1:40 PM

Nov 2012
Thanks for the ping pong descriptions!

Now that I've had time to really read through the descriptions for the anime coming out for Summer, this will be my schedule unless I drop some of the shows listed below. Its interesting that Barakamon has a main character who is 23, same age as I am. You don't see that often in anime nowadays, hopefully it won't be boring from that synopsis though.

1. Akame Ga Kill (Sun)
2. Dramatical Murder (Sun)
3. Ao Haru Ride (Mon)
4. Baby Steps (Mon) (Ongoing)
5. Glasslip (Th)
6. Rail Wars (Th)
7. Shirogane no IShi Argevollen (Th)
8. Tokyo Goul (Th)
9. P4G (Th)
10. Zankyou No Terror (Th)
11. Tokyo ESP (Fri)
12. Sword Art Online 2 (Sat)
13. Sailor Moon (Sat)
14. Barakamon (Sat)
15. Aldnoah Zero (Sat)
16. Mahouka (Sat) (Ongoing)
17. Captain Earth (Sat) (Ongoing)

EDIT: Looks like Summer season is kicking off on Wednesday... good. I still have tonight and tomorrow to finish up make Spring backlog..
midnightbladeJun 30, 2014 1:55 PM
Jun 30, 2014 1:44 PM
Jun 30, 2014 1:46 PM

Apr 2012
Jun 30, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2013
Zeally said:

SAO II 24 episodes

Yeah no kidding.
It will still be airing the same time Log Horizon 2 starts in the fall, gonna be one hell of a shitstorm :D

Aldnoah.Zero being 24 episodes is pretty interesting, getting me slightly more hyped for it. And that Xebec mecha anime better be good now...
Jun 30, 2014 2:12 PM
May 2014
Is anyone surprised that Zankyou no Terror only has 11 and Glasslip 13 episodes? I was expecting a two cour.. pretty disappointing. On the other hand, we have Akame ga Kill, Aldnoah. Zero and SAO II with 24 episodes each. Awesome news.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jun 30, 2014 2:16 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I'm not super excited about the number of interesting shows for Summer, but there are a few at least

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei
Hanamonogatari
Hanayamata
Jinsei
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
Sword Art Online II
Cencoroll 2

^ are the ones I'm gonna watch, with Fate/kaleid S2, Blade Dance and SAO II being the only real kickers
Jun 30, 2014 10:30 PM
Oct 2010
kikohunter said:
Is anyone surprised that Zankyou no Terror only has 11 episodes

Not at all. Just looking at the quality alone it would be difficult to keep up that level of animation for more than 11 episodes especially since it's original work.
Jul 2, 2014 4:26 AM

Apr 2009
Not to mention it is noitaminA, which always means 11 episodes per cour...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 2, 2014 5:27 AM

Apr 2013
I don't know if I should be excited for Aldnoah.Zero. I'm sure I'll love the soundtrack and I enjoyed every other Urobuchi's works I've watched (Fate Zero, Phantom, Psycho Pass, Suisei no Gargantia), but watching the two PVs gave me a Guilty Crown vibe. Basically I got the feeling there will be a large cast of characters, mainly in their teens, which I won't give a shit about and a mess of a plot.
Hopefully I'll be proven wrong...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jul 2, 2014 6:14 AM

Apr 2009
geralt said:
I don't know if I should be excited for Aldnoah.Zero. I'm sure I'll love the soundtrack and I enjoyed every other Urobuchi's works I've watched (Fate Zero, Phantom, Psycho Pass, Suisei no Gargantia), but watching the two PVs gave me a Guilty Crown vibe. Basically I got the feeling there will be a large cast of characters, mainly in their teens, which I won't give a shit about and a mess of a plot.

I vaguely remember reading something about one staff member saying this will be the new Gundam. I got a horrible deja vu from the GC staff's proclamation that "GC will be the new GitS" back then...
Jul 2, 2014 6:17 AM

Oct 2012
Is Tokyo Ghouls worth checking out? I really can't figure out what to watch this summer.
Jul 2, 2014 6:18 AM

Dec 2011
If you can't decide whether or not to watch something just give it a try and see.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 2, 2014 6:19 AM

Mar 2012
Summer and winter is usually weak season. Lets see if this summer will also become weak season.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 2, 2014 6:28 AM

Feb 2012
Free! second season!!!! for the swimming!!!! ;)

Jul 2, 2014 6:32 AM
Oct 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
geralt said:

I got a horrible deja vu from the GC staff's proclamation that "GC will be the new GitS" back then...

Wat? Where did they even see the similarities?
Jul 2, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2009
I am just iffy about a staff being so overenthusiastic when it comes to praise their own work. They haped up GC a lot and int he end it was one of the biggest nails in the coffin of old noitaminA and had one of the worst storytelling I saw in the medium up to that date.

People often say I am negative, but at least I can only receive positive suprises. I prefer that to get into such silly hypetrains liek the ones I decribed above, only to be left even more disappointed than I am when one of m< negative predictions comes true.
Jul 2, 2014 9:53 AM
Feb 2014
I feel like an irritating b@stard sayig this but I wrote a blog (that red coloured text in my signature) with thousands of words of explanations answering this question...

But, to answer this question in this forum,

Zankyou no Terror- because Watanabe Shinichiro is the director. Also, it's a psychological thriller, looks rather dark, and seems to be one of the more mature kinda anime that makes me think (that last part is jus my prediction xp). The PV further cemented that last thought in my mind.

Aldnoah zero- seriously, mainly because of Urobuchi. I'm super curious how he'll make a Mecha anime. Also, I like that it's an anime original, so it's totally up to Urobuchi... and as far as I know, I think he comes up with great works unrestricted. PV didnt really impress me tho... the CG... -_-

Glasslip - Anime original, and a romance by PA works... so, yeah, will defintely give t a go... also, the PV was nice. I want a nice easy going SoL to wath each week too.. i find those the best to watch when currently airing since the action ones leave me pulling my hairs out after each cliffhanger

Seirei Tsukai no Balde Dance - i wanna watch a real Ecchi-Rom Com Harem... also, i want to read a nearly fully translated LN after watching the anime...

Tokyo ESP- the manga art and key visual interested me. The premise is also pretty funny and it looks like it could POSSIBLY a black horse for the season (just my own guess)... basically, because it looks quite quirky and different frm most anime I know

Tokyo Ghoul - Cos I wanna watch a horror anime. Also, PV looked pretty cool. Kinda gory too, so yeah, I wanna watch that

Hanayamata - In my mind, I just envisaged it being one of those anime nobody notices but is actually a really really good anime... haha, stupid reason, until I saw the staff, which is pretty impressive

SAO 2 - I want to know why ppl hate the show so much... also, might as well join the masses either bashing it or declaring it as the best anime ever...

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - cos the original is a classic, and this migt be a good intro to the series...

Hope this answers the question xp
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 2, 2014 11:23 AM

Nov 2013
This is the first time I am going to watch so many airing anime.

I shall watch:
-Tokyo Ghoul because it sounds interesting and i've heard people talking about it on Mal.
-Bakumatsu Rock because it is unique, sounds interesting and has potential imo.
-DRAMAtical Murder because it also sounds interesting.
-Space Dandy 2 because I hear good things about Space Dandy 1, well i'll watch it after I watch Space Dandy 1.
-Sword Art online 2 because I am interested on what will happen next and if the creators will fuck it up again due to unnecessary, unwanted, shit romance.
-Tokyo Ghoul because, well, it sounds interesting.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jul 2, 2014 12:00 PM

Jun 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
I am just iffy about a staff being so overenthusiastic when it comes to praise their own work. They haped up GC a lot and int he end it was one of the biggest nails in the coffin of old noitaminA and had one of the worst storytelling I saw in the medium up to that date.

People often say I am negative, but at least I can only receive positive suprises. I prefer that to get into such silly hypetrains liek the ones I decribed above, only to be left even more disappointed than I am when one of m< negative predictions comes true.

Agree... Kinda... But...

To avoid disappointment, I recently lowered my expectations for a lot of shows that look remotely promising... Yet some of them still manage to not meet my lowered expectations.

Should one assume all anime will turn out completely shit to avoid disappointment?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2014 12:07 PM

Apr 2009
AirStyles said:

Should one assume all anime will turn out completely shit to avoid disappointment?

For LN adaptions, romcoms, harems, ecchi and other stuff otaku prefer? Yes!
I am more optimistic about the rest, though. I also learned to hype correctly.
When Space Dandy came around I expected a good OST, nice visuals and some oldschool jokes because really, that is the most reasonable thing you can expect from its staff. I got what I prediected and was happy. Same for Kill la Kill, where I expected oldschool references, over the top action and a lot of classic Imaishi tropes.
It's your own fault if you hype for false reasons like the people who thought that both shows would be 10/10 masterpieces... the only time I did that recently was with Ping Pong but that was only because this stuff only comes along once every few years.
NidhoeggrJul 2, 2014 12:13 PM
Jul 2, 2014 12:44 PM
Jun 2014
I personally am most excited for the adaption of Akame ga kill, Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo ESP.
On a sidenote I was wondering why Tokyp ESP got a direct anime adaption but Ga rei only had a prequel adaption.
TyrelJul 2, 2014 6:05 PM
Jul 2, 2014 12:46 PM

Mar 2014
Pri Para

after how good Rainbow live was, i wanna see if this can match/surpass.
Jul 2, 2014 12:46 PM

Aug 2013
SAO II

Everything else is shit.

Jul 2, 2014 12:48 PM

Aug 2013
Lol I was gonna list those three as well haha. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Tokyo Ghoul!

Also, Space Dandy S2 :-)
Jul 2, 2014 12:48 PM
Apr 2014
Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus, Kuroshitsuji: Book of Murder, Space Dandy II, and Zankyou no Terror.

Despite all the problems I've had with Kuro, I actually like the franchise. As for Zankyou no Terror... it's got Shinchiro Wantanabe working on it. Of course I'll watch it. :p Can you really go wrong with the guy who brought us Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo? Regarding Space Dandy II, I'll get around to watching it once it's finished and I've actually completed Space Dandy.
-
Jul 2, 2014 12:50 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
SAO II
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance (LN is awesome, suspect the anime won't live up to it though)
Fate/kaleid 2wei

Rest not very much tbh
Jul 2, 2014 12:51 PM

Oct 2012
kami_desu said:
SAO II

Everything else is shit.
Jul 2, 2014 12:52 PM
Aug 2011
kami_desu said:
SAO II

Everything else is shit.

My donut eating friend here is right.

Jul 2, 2014 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
Zankyou no Terror
Tokyo Ghoul
Aldnoah Zero

yay listing thread!
Jul 2, 2014 1:01 PM

Dec 2013
I'm really hyped for Akame Ga Kill.
Jul 2, 2014 1:09 PM
May 2014
I'm hyped for Akame ga Kill as well Zankyou no Terror and Tokyo Ghoul being one cour dropped the hype a little.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 2, 2014 1:12 PM

Mar 2014
Zankyou no Terror has the highest ceiling but could also lead to extreme disappointment.
Jul 2, 2014 1:19 PM

Sep 2011
None. And even I'm/I was a Type-Moon fan, I'm not hyped for F/KL 2wei either.
TennoujiJul 2, 2014 1:22 PM

Jul 2, 2014 1:23 PM
Jul 2013
Free!Eternal Summer
Tokyo Ghoul
Akame Ga Kill
Kuroshitsuji:Book of Circus
Zankyou No Terror
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2014 1:26 PM

Nov 2008
Hanayamata and Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen

Jul 2, 2014 1:26 PM

Mar 2014
We must wait for Fate Stay Night , I see . . .

Harem Art Online II since it's the only one I know about.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jul 2, 2014 1:28 PM

Jun 2013
SAO II
free II
Jul 2, 2014 1:28 PM

Jan 2014
Glasslip.

Tokyo Ghoul quite a bit, but I also am a little disappointed by it being a 1 cour.
Jul 2, 2014 1:31 PM

Nov 2013
I am excited about:

-Backumatsu Rock
-DRAMAtical Murder
-Sao II
-Space Dandy 2 (After I watch Space Dandy 1)
-Tokyo Ghoul.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jul 2, 2014 1:35 PM
Oct 2010
Zankyou, Akame, AZero, Hanamonogatari and I guess SAO II but that will be amusing in another way.
Jul 2, 2014 1:41 PM

Dec 2012
Yama no Susume 2 is going to reign supreme this summer. No other show has a chance now that it's no longer a short.
Jul 2, 2014 1:45 PM

Nov 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
Yama no Susume 2 is going to reign supreme this summer. No other show has a chance now that it's no longer a short.

Hanayamata might outsell Yama no Susume (Manga Time Kirara sells), and genre wise they are competing with each other.

Jul 2, 2014 1:48 PM

Aug 2013
Space Dandy season 2
Jul 2, 2014 2:08 PM

Mar 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
Not being serious...right? I don't know how many people "cute girls doing mountain climbing things" will appeal to. I'm looking forward to it, though.
Jul 2, 2014 2:19 PM
Jul 2, 2014 2:23 PM

Nov 2013
Probably 2wei for Kuro.
Jul 2, 2014 2:29 PM

Mar 2014
I'm guessing all this Tokyo Ghoul Hype iscoming from peope who've seen the source material. Based on the Synopis on MAL, it does not seem super interesting.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores

Kimo45 - 5 hours ago

18 by 031011 »»
32 seconds ago

» Do you think Pokemon was the reason anime became mainstream in the US during the 90s and 2000s?

funtime43_tr - 7 hours ago

7 by Old_School_Akira »»
3 minutes ago

» Happy Yuri Day

henmwats - 25 minutes ago

3 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» Bad dialogues

JoeChip - Yesterday

14 by Daviljoe193 »»
8 minutes ago

» What happened to shonen after DBZ ended but before One Piece started ?

tchitchouan - 1 hour ago

13 by tchitchouan »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.