Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
May 5, 2014 5:43 PM

Aug 2013
Another confusing episode xD

So from what I understood, we go full Steins;Gate right here. Hibiya was stuck in a timeloop (or a dreamloop?). The only way to avoid Hiyori death was to kill himself. Somehow, it was related to the cat. Maybe the cat was literally representing death? I guess it will be explained in the next 1-2 episodes. In the preview, we can also hear him say ''I died 2 years ago''. That mean that he will come back to life somehow.

Anyway, that kid must have the Stockholm syndrom, seriously x)
She treat him like if he was her slave :P
Well, I'm pretty sure they will end up together somehow, they are holding hand in the ED. Okay, that's a really weak hint xD
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 5, 2014 7:34 PM
Mar 2014
Does anybody want to talk about the art or the animation?
I honestly don't know what to think about it. I understand the story and all. But the style on this episode surprised me a lot (even being Shaft).
Do you think they did it on purpose?, I mean, to give it a different and unique style or just because of budget?. Unfinished scenes?. I'm not sure.
BTW, I liked the atmosphere on the second part. It remind me Serial Experiment Lain with the empty streets, the light poles and the guitar riffs (before the song starts). That was pretty good.
May 5, 2014 9:35 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
As the success of AKB48 or Lady Gaga shows, people don't care about talent, or even about the skill of artists or singers, all they care about is the image.
maximum edge
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 5, 2014 10:07 PM
Aug 2013
Ann-Bluestar said:

BTW, I liked the atmosphere on the second part. It remind me Serial Experiment Lain with the empty streets, the light poles and the guitar riffs (before the song starts). That was pretty good.

exactly, also reminded me to lain, the second half of the chapter was very good but that little scene of the light poles and the sound was excellent
May 5, 2014 10:49 PM
Apr 2014
I kind of feel sorry for anyone not already into kagepro in its various forms trying to watch mca. It's got to be so confusing I would think. That said, I know what's going on and I dig surrealism/experimental/artsy-fartsy shit for the most part, so I guess I don't have quite the problem with this episode/mca in general that 90% of you viewers here are experiencing it seems. I'm liking it actually. The general atmosphere feels like it suits a story of this nature imo.

Which is why I also feel bad for anyone so super-into kagepro that any moment spent straying from the source material is a moment to be mourned because it is Ruining Everything You Love. It's not like an imperfect anime adaption will detract from the songs/videos/novels/manga in any way. If you like kagepro exactly as it is, then you can just re-listen/watch/read it again, ya know? No need to be sad, friend. But anyone can see that the manga was different from the novels which were different from the songs. An anime is bound to have its differences too. It's just a fact of life, but most of you all are treating it like the end of the world, yikes.

Um a couple more comments more specifically concerning the 4th episode though. What's with all the people being surprised and angered by Hiyori not being some cutesy-cute character in episode 4 (especially while at the same time putting the source material on a pedestal that all must aspire to)? Her stubborn and bossy personality IS from the source material. *rolls eyes* And yet so many people rapidly starting to hate her ugh... Whatever, I just kind of always have this urge to defend hated and underrated female characters always and forever.
May 5, 2014 11:32 PM

Jun 2013
I'm so glad I haven't read/heard any of the source material, lol.

I'm enjoying this :)

To quote Zanibas from Random Curiosity:

"I’m sitting in a five star restaurant with a guest chef serving me and my friend personally. Today, I’m treating them to this restaurant, which makes the best meat dishes in the nation. I’ve been to this restaurant a few times before and boy, were they excellent. Having checked with the chef beforehand, I personally get to know that today’s menu would be made from the legendary kobe beef. I decide to keep the theme a secret from my friend to see his reaction."

"However, when we are served our meal (quite quickly in fact), we are simply given two hot dogs. My friend bites down and is really happy that it’s the best hot dog they’ve ever had, but I just sit there in disbelief. I take a bite out of the hot dog in goodwill to see if this was some new-style hot dog, but alas, it’s just a hot dog…made from kobe beef. I wonder if my friend, oblivious to the capacity of this five star restaurant or to the true potential of kobe beef, would taste things differently if they saw things from my perspective. I try my hardest to rate things positively as to not stifle the mood of my obviously happy and satisfied friend, but all that I can muster is a forced smile and nuanced compliments, and acknowledge that they are justified to enjoy that hot dog, just as much as I am justified to complain to the chef and the restaurant after my friend leaves."
May 6, 2014 8:23 AM

Jan 2014
Swefn said:
I kind of feel sorry for anyone not already into kagepro in its various forms trying to watch mca. It's got to be so confusing I would think. That said, I know what's going on and I dig surrealism/experimental/artsy-fartsy shit for the most part, so I guess I don't have quite the problem with this episode/mca in general that 90% of you viewers here are experiencing it seems. I'm liking it actually. The general atmosphere feels like it suits a story of this nature imo.

Which is why I also feel bad for anyone so super-into kagepro that any moment spent straying from the source material is a moment to be mourned because it is Ruining Everything You Love. It's not like an imperfect anime adaption will detract from the songs/videos/novels/manga in any way. If you like kagepro exactly as it is, then you can just re-listen/watch/read it again, ya know? No need to be sad, friend. But anyone can see that the manga was different from the novels which were different from the songs. An anime is bound to have its differences too. It's just a fact of life, but most of you all are treating it like the end of the world, yikes.

Um a couple more comments more specifically concerning the 4th episode though. What's with all the people being surprised and angered by Hiyori not being some cutesy-cute character in episode 4 (especially while at the same time putting the source material on a pedestal that all must aspire to)? Her stubborn and bossy personality IS from the source material. *rolls eyes* And yet so many people rapidly starting to hate her ugh... Whatever, I just kind of always have this urge to defend hated and underrated female characters always and forever.

just this...i hate coming to episode discussion of mekakucity every week and read same posts everywhere.stop complaining.anime is not crap,it may not be what you expected but its impossible in the first place.just try to enjoy or stop watching...
May 6, 2014 10:05 AM

Dec 2013
Lol this anime is so random. Random new character for a whole ep, boring for the most part, then some random Stein's Gate going on, and that Bakemono story after ending lol. I'll give it last chance enxt week.
May 6, 2014 5:17 PM

May 2011
AkuNoKawaiiUsagi said:

Then we move on to the truck scene. Oh the glorious truck scene, you made me cry on the PV, why didn't you this time.

tl;dr of mekakucity actors episode 4 basically. Maybe it's because I was prepared to be feeling the feels, but I was pretty disappointed. Not to mention, it disappoints original fans, and anyone who hasn't seen the songs following this show is probably going to be pretty confused at this point. Losing street cred from both sides of the followers, shaft plz
May 6, 2014 5:23 PM
Apr 2014
Phantomtigers said:
AkuNoKawaiiUsagi said:

Then we move on to the truck scene. Oh the glorious truck scene, you made me cry on the PV, why didn't you this time.

tl;dr of mekakucity actors episode 4 basically. Maybe it's because I was prepared to be feeling the feels, but I was pretty disappointed. Not to mention, it disappoints original fans, and anyone who hasn't seen the songs following this show is probably going to be pretty confused at this point. Losing street cred from both sides of the followers, shaft plz

Personally I wasn't expecting any feels but more of that shock moment Hibiya was gonna have and maybe if they included the last part. Sadly they didn't but I loved the atmosphere they created in the Kagerou Daze.
May 6, 2014 6:12 PM

Aug 2011
This is why we can't trust cats. If any of you are watching Hitsugi no Chaika, you know what I mean.
May 6, 2014 9:27 PM
Dec 2012
Woah interesting. Just got time to watch this episode, and looked familiar. After the song at the end played, I just remembered that scene matches (without Hiyori) the song in Project Diva F 2nd.
In Project Diva F 2nd it was about himself in a timeloop without anyone else, and the cat didn't have as creepy of a role as the anime.
iceacoMay 6, 2014 9:31 PM
May 7, 2014 5:55 AM

Nov 2013
That was hell of mindfuck episode
You all need to watch Nami.

May 7, 2014 6:53 AM
May 2014
This anime is a bit too weird for my taste. I don't follow the story and have no idea where this is going to. I like the artdirection though.
And man i hate characters like Hiyori. They make me so angry :P. I don't see the charm of characters like those.
Animes would be better off without those annoying brat characters. Being a tsundere (i guess) is one thing but the way Hiyori was treating Hibiya was just plain aggrevating. Dunno why hibiya just took all te insults. He even got groceries and cooked dinner. Seems a bit weird if you ask me.

Anyway. Strange anime, stranger episode. Might keep watching this one. But i will probably drop this one and pick it up once all the episodes are released and then watch them all in 1 go (will prolly understand the story better in that way).
May 7, 2014 8:49 AM

Jul 2010
I watched the original PV and fanmade PV before the episode... a mistake.

They ruined Kagerou Daze.

First half was kinda boring. Rest was meh with no emotional impact. Hiyori was annoying -.-

I also really don't understand why they had to make the time loop scene so abstract. And they make it seem like it happened like exactly 3 times, when in the song it supposedly happens several times in an almost Endless Eight kind of way. I feel like they really missed their shot on some good story telling.
Asuka_10May 7, 2014 8:52 AM
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
May 7, 2014 9:26 AM

Jan 2014
AsukaTenjyoin said:
I watched the original PV and fanmade PV before the episode... a mistake.

They ruined Kagerou Daze.

First half was kinda boring. Rest was meh with no emotional impact. Hiyori was annoying -.-

I also really don't understand why they had to make the time loop scene so abstract. And they make it seem like it happened like exactly 3 times, when in the song it supposedly happens several times in an almost Endless Eight kind of way. I feel like they really missed their shot on some good story telling.

i didnt know anything about original story but when i first watched anime i didnt understand it as it happened "exactly 3 times"...i didnt understand if it was real or dream but i thought that "thing" kept happening until he switched place with the girl ...
May 7, 2014 11:08 AM

Apr 2012
awful episode.. annoying persons everwhere... i dont like that art design, its like watching an animated modern artwork in the louvre.. bad dialogue ...
May 7, 2014 2:16 PM

Sep 2011
Yes I'm gonna go with the hating people, sorry.

Wow... I actually didn't believe that Kagerou Daze can be fucked up this much.
That song was the only thing I heard from the series before the anime was even brought up. It's a wonderful and amazing song (especially the one with like 50 Nico Nico people singing it).
I actually didn't know that Hiyori has such a mean personality (it really didn't seem like from the song), if this is the same in the novel and the manga then I'm pretty sad :(
I was somewhat okay with the whole scene of the song itself being adapted in Shaft style (though I would have preferred a less stylish design), but why put in the song after all that at the worst place and also a pretty bad version of it? At least use the original one or something :( I feel like the song just lost its meaning because of how badly placed and sung it was...
I'm also sad that this version of the song was so bad, because the previous 2 songs (Momo running with the kid and the action from ep3) were much better in the anime version then the one with Miku (for me at least).
Also it's like the whole thing only happened just 3 times... instead of like an Endless Eight.

I'm still gonna watch though, I still have hope for this, because I liked the previous 3 episodes (not this one though, at least not as much). Episode 3 got me pretty interested, so I'll see what comes out of all this :)
RazielZeroMay 7, 2014 2:25 PM
May 7, 2014 2:29 PM
Oct 2012
Mamimii said:
Takuan_Soho said:
As the success of AKB48 or Lady Gaga shows, people don't care about talent, or even about the skill of artists or singers, all they care about is the image.
maximum edge

??? Is that some band or something. If so, I must confess:

For my musical knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;

Out of consideration for my decrepit bones, I won't mention which century....
May 7, 2014 5:26 PM

Apr 2010
Was I supposed to feel something when the kid sacrificed himself to save the girl at the end? Poorly done episode.
May 7, 2014 6:22 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
galimx said:
Has Jin (the singer) wrote the script for this anime? Its very amatuerish.

Jin isn't the singer
He produced the music, but didn't sing it.
From what I understand, he is overseeing the production. He may have, he may not have.
May 7, 2014 7:46 PM
Dec 2013
This episode was mind fuck after mind fuck.
May 7, 2014 8:29 PM
Dec 2012
antonn said:
Was I supposed to feel something when the kid sacrificed himself to save the girl at the end? Poorly done episode.
You're supposed to feel that it's all f-ed up and there are some screws loose. (No, I'm not joking - that's how I feel when I see some Vocaloid videos)
May 7, 2014 11:33 PM

Mar 2012
I only understood the first half of the episode, but the second half sure ended in a "Like a Boss" way even though I haven't figured it out what was really happening in his dream or why was it happening.
May 7, 2014 11:48 PM

Aug 2012
"Screw you cat", but seriously wtf is going on.
May 8, 2014 12:16 AM

Jan 2010
WOW, THIS EPISODE WAS GREAT AS WELL.

I LOVE THIS ANIME.

I HOPE THE NEXT EPISODE WILL BE JUST AS GOOD AS THIS ONE WAS, IF NOT EVEN BETTER.

Sorry, I just had to say that since I was feeling so bad due to all the hate. Not that I wouldn't feel the way I just wrote, though, it IS a good anime IMHO. Some people said the red and blue backgrounds were annoying or irritating. Well, considering what the scene was about, I think the backgrounds suited it perfectly. Some people said the song was ruined or didn't have an impact in the anime. Well, how would've you made it, then? Add some screams or sad faces? Hibiya crying, or maybe vomiting? I thought the scene had been made well, considering the situation of repeating the same day over and over being quite abstract, and SHAFT being an expert on that topic. I can hardly wait for the next episode to come out to see how the scene continues in the anime.

Anyway yeah, I just wanted to say I like the anime so far. And the songs. I get why people are confused (especially ones who don't know the original songs - and please don't start saying that "it's a stupid anime because you have to know the original sources to understand it"), but I don't get all the hate. Steins;gate and When They Cry (especially higurashi) series, which I have both rated 10, were both quite confusing at the start, but I don't think they got hated for that too much.

...anyway yeah, I just wanted to say I like the anime so far.
May 8, 2014 7:44 AM

Dec 2008
I enjoyed watching Hiyori die multiple times! Too bad he gave his life to save her sorry, bitchy ass.

Sent with Mal Updater
May 8, 2014 7:47 AM

Jan 2014
That's the only show this season that gets me really hyped every week and wanting to go through time to see the next episode.

Hiyori is really annoying, but that's Hibiya's fault, if he could show some nuts she wouldn't be that bitchy.
May 8, 2014 10:13 AM

Oct 2013
I wish i understood what the hell is happening in these series,first ep was cool,so was third,so many storylines,so many repetitions of events and random scenes at the beginning of each episode dont make it any better,its actually pretty annoying that its ep 4 and all we know is that there are special people.
May 8, 2014 2:56 PM

Oct 2011
Will I find out how they got their powers?

Is he really dead?? : 0
May 8, 2014 7:29 PM
Nov 2012
AnimeFan500 said:
Will I find out how they got their powers?

Is he really dead?? : 0

You'll get your answer soon or maybe in later episodes. But yes you'll get it for sure.
May 9, 2014 1:22 AM

Dec 2011
The episode was rather boring overall, but the ending saved it I guess.

I feel really sad that he had to die, but he sacrificed himself in the place of the girl he loved.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
May 9, 2014 6:35 AM

Jan 2014
I think that some people are just freakin spoiled with animes throwing every answer directly to their face without them needing to think about it. The first half of this episode was just comedy and had some quite funny moments, but the last part of it was just full of space to interpret, if you get your goddamn brain working one time. :P
I don't wanna talk about the art-style of it, because that is plain taste, but in my opinion: I love the abstract style of Shaft and I think their empty worlds fit those story-moments just perfectly.

Lemme get one question up... Did she always died accidently or did she wanted to die? Already thought about that? If you take a look at the last scene in which both of them change their roles of the first scene, then what if she was also saying "screw you, cat" while smiling the whole time? What if his power is something like going back in time of a day, while her power is being able to see fate? The cat can be a simple symbolism of 'being unlucky', but maybe it's also just a symbol for fate and that one of them has to die that day. So maybe she was saving him those countless times (the crows), but in the end it happened like it had to, because he couldn't know her intentions.

Just one interpretation of that... that's why I am freaking hyped and want to see the next goddamn episodes. I still can't believe that this is supposed to be a 12-eps-Anime, but hey... I can already hope for a 2nd season with all those possibilites of a big story. GIMME #5
May 9, 2014 8:43 AM

Apr 2012
I'm kind of annoyed by the Shaft-style animation here. It's coming off as trying hard to be artsy, edgy, and abstract, but this isn't really meshing with the story as well as it does with Monogatari. The animation really went overboard in the second half of the episode; I felt like I was watching some abstract piece instead of an anime. I felt distant from what was happening in the show instead of being engrossed. Something I really enjoyed about the original song was the powerful emotion in it, but this is completely lacking in the episode; from the 2nd half, I got some creepy vibes, and afterwards I just felt indifferent and empty. Also, I don't recall Hiyori being so completely dislikable in the manga. Are we really supposed to feel for this girl?

I did enjoy Konoha's appearance, though. He's so silly.
May 9, 2014 8:56 AM

Jun 2012
I actually quite liked this episode! It seems to be getting better. :)
N☆ 

May 9, 2014 12:00 PM
Dec 2013
May 9, 2014 1:56 PM

Oct 2011
What did they do?!
I was so annoyed by Hiyori. Se wasn't like that in the other Kagerou things -_-
And the death scenes weren't so impactant. I Really LOVED the white, blue and red style, cause it was like that in the original videos, and it gave a good vibe. I don't know why people are complaining about this. But i must say.... the looping thing didn't realy worked, I like it more in the original videos. It doesn't really have emotions. Especially when Hiyori is so freaking annoying in this version.
SHAFT, stop disappointing me

When I finished the anime, I watched the original video. It was soo good. o_o
I give this episode an ok, just because i love Kageoru Project. And I don't know how I would feel if this was my first contact with KagePro, so it's kinda hard to judge, because it's from a fan point of view
May 9, 2014 2:08 PM

Apr 2014
I have no clue what the hell just happened in that episode, but somehow I actually feel like I might be liking it... or am I? I feel like I'm watching Inception again: I have no f***ing clue what is going on, but I somehow like it, due to my curiosity and to the awesome art/filming (depending if you're talking about Inception or this anime).
Would be nice if they could spell things out a bit better for us mortals, but whatever.
Screw you, cat.
May 9, 2014 3:39 PM

Jan 2014
Fruitasaurus said:
I have no clue what the hell just happened in that episode, but somehow I actually feel like I might be liking it... or am I? I feel like I'm watching Inception again: I have no f***ing clue what is going on, but I somehow like it, due to my curiosity and to the awesome art/filming (depending if you're talking about Inception or this anime).
Would be nice if they could spell things out a bit better for us mortals, but whatever.
Screw you, cat.
lol,wise words...
May 9, 2014 3:45 PM

Nov 2012
I felt like this wasn't as intense as that one fanmade PV of the song. Was a little dissapointed. Loved that final line tho. Wasnt what I had thought they were saying all this time.
Slaine did nothing wrong.
May 9, 2014 9:43 PM

May 2013
What a weird ass episode. Felt like I was watching Serial Experiments Lain. The train scene where she says something before the train hits her is extremely similar to some SEL scenes.
May 9, 2014 11:28 PM

Feb 2014
It started good but suddenly I found myself lost without a clue whats going on
May 10, 2014 12:54 AM

Jun 2012
Dropped; I am not enjoying this at all.
May 10, 2014 12:58 AM

Jan 2014
Did you watch the original kagerou project videos? If not try that instead, or maybe read the manga. The anime is confusing as fuck for newcomers.
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
May 10, 2014 4:41 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode in which I'm forced to go to trust what I see, not knowing anything about this work. The footprint of the study Shaft is noted in a shocking, so that you understand what actually happened is almost impossible. Drawings dropped a bit, but pleasant. I dare not reject the possibility that because this work may prove to be better than it is, still haunts my mind. This series has something vaguely familiar with another anime, but I can not say that, I just know that I do not disappoint.
Now that all the actors are on stage, the main plot, should begin shortly.
May 10, 2014 11:05 AM
Feb 2014
Yup I didn't even care when Hiyori died since she was kind of annoying. It would've been better if the world looked a little more normal imo. Plus the animation really sucks honestly
May 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2009
f*ck this show i dont understand
May 12, 2014 12:49 PM

Aug 2012
Hibiya's voice is purrrfect. I love this episode

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
May 13, 2014 1:15 AM

Jul 2013
Sylverith said:
Ayano and Konoha finally appeared.
Will edit after subs.
Edit: Yup, decent ep. Took me a little while to get used to Hiyori's voice.
Loved that end card!
"Screw you, cat."

//**spoiler**//
I saved a picture of two frames, one where he's like "Screw you, cat!" and then the other where he gets hit by the bus himself. I nearly fucking died the first time Hiyori(?) got hit by the bus and RIGHT BEFORE IT she did the Shaft Tilt XD.
EAT SH!T AND LIVE
May 14, 2014 1:44 AM

Feb 2014
A-Ah, hmm... This animation is annoying me, the PV was way better than this...

Well... Next one.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2014

284 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2014

501 by Strikrr »»
Aug 2, 2023 5:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.