Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for Aug 12 - 18

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 22, 2013 10:22 AM

Sep 2012
Several things:

Not all of the works listed in the "light novel" list of these sales lists are light novels. The Monogatari series are not light novels, for example and have very little furigana. Red Data Girl has been listed in the past and while it is a youth fiction novel, it is not a light novel. This list is meant to indicate those works with connections to anime. Perhaps this could be made more clear?

If you aren't reading the originals in Japanese then in my opinion you have no right at all to comment on them. Some translations are absolutely atrocious, others are really well done but you cannot critically comment on the original work by resorting to translations. Some can even be better than the original, like an additional edit. There is just too much variation in the quality and the amount of artistic freedom used by the translators. If you must comment on a translation, please say you are referring to the Vertical Press edition or the baka-tsuki version.

Furigana and kanji comprehension is really a better topic for discussion elsewhere. When their government officials cannot properly read their prepared speeches we should worry about other things than furigana in light novels. Many josei and seinen manga include a lot of furigana now to make it easier to read the words but this does not mean the content is childish or light.

As for originality and variety, there is a healthy amount of it in Japanese novels, you just have to look for it in places in addition to this best seller list. Unfortunately again, if you rely on translations you will get only a limited set that are ever done either professionally or by baka-tsuki. Only the most popular and best sellers will get translations. For variety again it is best to read it in the original language where you will have much more choice available to you. It is unfortunate that the sales list is so short as it is quite astounding the number of novels published in Japan each week.
Aug 22, 2013 10:40 AM

Sep 2012
hpulley said:
Not all of the works listed in the "light novel" list of these sales lists are light novels. The Monogatari series are not light novels, for example and have very little furigana. Red Data Girl has been listed in the past and while it is a youth fiction novel, it is not a light novel. This list is meant to indicate those works with connections to anime. Perhaps this could be made more clear?
Thing is, the line separating light novel and ordinary novel is not always clear. Even in Japan there are people who think Monogatari as LN and indeed quite many bookstores put the novels in the LN section for display because it is where the customers will go to check first for the novels (thus further adding to the confusion). And Oricon does not have a light novel ranking, only the bunko formatted book ranking - and almost all LNs are published in bunko format (and it is one reason why strictly Monogatari is not classified as LN). I am aware of the fact that the list does not contain only LN, which is why I changed the title of the list from "LN list" to "LN and Anime related books list" after I took over the compilation of the list, but I also think it is drilling too deep into fine details if I am to add a note at each entry to indicate if the book is a LN or something else.
symbvAug 22, 2013 10:45 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 22, 2013 10:48 AM

Sep 2012
Yes, and I suppose that the re-release of Red Data Girl in bunko format along side the anime would let it qualify for the list while the original release formats would not, again making it even more confusing.

Another Episode S was released in hard back so again I assume it wouldn't qualify for this list though I couldn't find it on any other Oricon book lists so I assume it just didn't sell very well. Too bad.
Aug 22, 2013 10:59 AM

Sep 2012
hpulley said:
Yes, and I suppose that the re-release of Red Data Girl in bunko format along side the anime would let it qualify for the list while the original release formats would not, again making it even more confusing.
Another Episode S was released in hard back so again I assume it wouldn't qualify for this list though I couldn't find it on any other Oricon book lists so I assume it just didn't sell very well. Too bad.
It is not the format that is the criterion for the list I compile for "LN and anime related books" list. It is whether they are related to anime but yet not a manga. So before its adaptation into anime, RDG would not make into the list because it was not related to any anime then, but if it appears in Oricon chart now it will make into my list because of the anime connection. By this logic, a new volume of "Another" will make it to the list regardless of whether it is in hardback, paperback or bunko format.

As for "Another" Episode S not showing up, you need to be aware that it is hard back we are talking about. Oricon does not have a hardback chart but just a "general book" chart for books, hardback or paperback, that are not manga or in bunko-format. In this case, hardback, being much more expensive, has little chance of making into the chart, which is why we don't see books like hardback "Another - Episode S" in the chart. On the other hand, hardback sales will be judged on the expectation based on the fact that it is hardback and as I said before, because of so many titles published every week, any book that makes into the Oricon chart is big seller, so the fact that a title is not appearing in the chart does not necessarily mean that it is not selling well.
symbvAug 22, 2013 11:13 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 22, 2013 11:20 AM

Sep 2012
Japan seems to be highly prolific. Anyone know the number of novel titles they release a week compared to USA? It seems like Japan has a an order of magnitude more novels coming out, pulp or not it just seems like an awful lot of titles.'

They seem to put out a novel every 3-4 months while over here we wait years for the next Game of Thrones.
Aug 22, 2013 11:30 AM

Sep 2012
^ All I can say is that Japanese seem to love reading fictions a lot. I always see people reading on train or in cafes and when I can see the title it is almost always some fiction or novel. And in the "general book" and "bunko" Oricon chart, fictions take up quite large number of entries too.

Aug 22, 2013 12:32 PM

Dec 2012
hpulley said:
Japan seems to be highly prolific. Anyone know the number of novel titles they release a week compared to USA? It seems like Japan has a an order of magnitude more novels coming out, pulp or not it just seems like an awful lot of titles.'

They seem to put out a novel every 3-4 months while over here we wait years for the next Game of Thrones.

Haven't you heard the stereotype: "Americans don't read" before? :D Let's put aside the supplies of new novel titles for a moment, I certainly agree that American don't read Novel with the same rate as Japanese do.

Walking into a Barnes & Nobles these days and you can see that fiction area is just a fraction of non-fiction area, kids' corner excluded. There are only three shelves evenly divided for adult fiction, teen fiction, and yes, Manga! Compared to that, just the Magazines and Cooking sections are enough to dwarf fictions in size and number. There are also sections that you find not prominent in Asia, but very popular in the US such as sports, gun, car, pets, religion, politic, and comedy.

One thing to note is that book buying habit in the US ties directly with exposure in the media. In other words, people tend to buy stuffs that they see introduced on TV, or from big media personalities. It's become the standard for one TV host to have at least 3 titles under his/her names; and a regular contributor, popular artist and sportsman to have at least one. Even with shows where they introduce book every night, hosts almost always choose non-fiction rather than those "boring" fiction novel. Of course, there are novels that become super-poplar in this climate such as Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, or 50 Shades of Grey..etc. But those got popular first before any media "report" on them.

In short, Americans nowadays pride themselves on "keeping it real" and are more personality-driven than ever. It's gone the time of Mark Twain or Steven King when a good fiction captivates people's imagination. The mass media with its instant consumption and personality-driven conglomerate has replaced fiction in people's minds.

That said, although the demand for fiction novel in the US is less than Japan, I don't think we can say the same for the US's supply of novel. Several dozens of new titles still come out each month, not on displayed in traditional bookstores, but on Amazon. Needless to say, they are not the titles causal readers notice right away.
Aug 22, 2013 4:10 PM
Aug 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

And this is why LN have a bad reputation in the West, although it is hardly anything new.
As if the west has really great taste LOL

Sturgeon's Law. Too bad the good 10% are hardly ever in the Western focus in case of LN. Also, your ironic approach does not render you immune to criticism. In fact, it makes you look like child. Sorry to be so direct, but I don't think this is how a mod should behave.

Antanaru said:
What are you talking about?

About the status of LN as pulp fiction. Or rather: It's perceived status in the West.

everybody should make novel like Western guy.
because Western has better taste and Eastern only read shit fiction.
Aug 22, 2013 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
HauntingShock said:
NeoAnkara said:

10, **7,644 *50,985 Seiken Tsukai no World Break Vol.4
This nearly fool me twice reading it as Blade Dance.

Same here. This is really peaking my interest... It stayed for 2 weeks already(?) while Blade Dance only stayed for 1 week...
Actualy It also stay for two weeks.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 22, 2013 6:12 PM
May 2013
I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, as the answer could vary depending on the title itself, but what is typically considered "successful" for a manga these days? Is basically anything on this list considered successful, or are some of them on this list not considered successful because they have failed to meet expectations (despite being on the list)?
Aug 22, 2013 8:04 PM

Sep 2012
^ There is no good answer for this. Expectations can be vastly different depending on the genre and which magazine it is serialized on. For example, manga from shounen jump may need to be on this weekly list to be considered doing well, but a much larger number of manga never make into the list but still get a lot of volumes published. We simply do not have enough information to judge how much sales is considered good for a manga. All we can say for certain is that if it appears on this weekly list, then it is already a huge seller.

biliktemenung said:
Perhaps everybody should just be a troll like you and the world would be at peace and happy LOL

Aug 22, 2013 8:34 PM
May 2013
Well, you sort of answered my question, so basically anything that DOES make this list can be considered a big seller, and therefore successful. Thanks!

One more question, is anything on these lists considered disappointing despite making the list?
Aug 22, 2013 8:36 PM
Aug 2013
symbv said:

biliktemenung said:
Perhaps everybody should just be a troll like you and the world would be at peace and happy LOL

that's the reality.
those pulp shit fiction have a bad reputation in the West
Aug 22, 2013 8:37 PM

Sep 2012
Hahalollawl said:
One more question, is anything on these lists considered disappointing despite making the list?
The way veteran observers in 2ch sales thread that discusses manga sales use is usually the yardstick of "comparable sales trend" which compares the equivalent sales (say 5 days from release) of its previous volumes with the latest volume. If it is trending down substantially then clearly it is disappointing and perhaps means that the work is past its peak in terms of popularity. On the other hand, if it jumps a lot, then it should be considered a stellar performance (which is often the case for manga with anime adaptation and the most prominent example would be Shingeki). The same technique can be used for tracking LN performance too.

biliktemenung said:
symbv said:

biliktemenung said:

that's the reality.
Yeah, and where is the word "pulp fiction" from? The west, no? And of course I guess you want to say people in the west who read pulp fiction have better taste LOL LOL
symbvAug 22, 2013 9:01 PM

Aug 22, 2013 8:41 PM
Aug 2013
symbv said:
Yeah, and where is the word "pulp fiction" from? The west, no? And of course I guess you want to say people in the west who read pulp fiction have better taste LOL LOL

no, people in the west usually don't read those. i don't know anyone who want to read those things.
Aug 22, 2013 8:48 PM

Sep 2012
biliktemenung said:
no, people in the west usually don't read those. i don't know anyone who want to read those things.
Yeah, nobody reads those and they are still being published in bulk and huge number in the west. Your logic is so well constructed LOL

Aug 22, 2013 8:57 PM
May 2013
biliktemenung said:
symbv said:

You're coming off as condescending. How about stepping down from your high horse?
Aug 22, 2013 9:57 PM

Aug 2013
biliktemenung said:
that's the reality.

I think you prejudge some of these, which I used to do too. Some of these mediocre light novels are not as bad as they seemed to be (once in a while, you get a few that touch on deeper emotions and themes alongside their slapstick comedy). And if you want to lay blame and dispense your hate, you should extend it to the group of readers who are feeding the industry, and the society which has created such a group of readers. Not to mention that what determines entertainment value to one is subjective. And what you like and enjoy might be garbage to others *shrug* Though I agree somewhat with some of your points, I won't go so far as to start becoming self-righteous on what constitutes good literature and call what others enjoy shit. And speaking of shit, the West also have a fair amount of literature which I personally would consider shit.
AmiluhurAug 22, 2013 10:02 PM
Aug 23, 2013 12:53 AM

Nov 2011
Yay, SnK dominating again. I am also quite happy @ this as well:

*5. 169,654 *,170,657 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Vol.12

The latest OVA was cute as hell.

I'm not surprised @ SAO's rank there but pretty pleasant to see Silver Spoon up here as well. A friend of mine recommended me the manga so I might try it out when anime finishes airing (:
Aug 23, 2013 2:54 AM

Dec 2011
hpulley said:

The problem with any sort of comparison of numbers of volumes released is that of self-published works, which come out by the thousands in English and often advertised only in one place and get sales figures in the single figures. I read once about one (unnamed) company offering self-publishing services whose median sales figure for books they published was 2. These things make up the vast majority of releases, especially after Fifty Shades of Grey managed to achieve smash hit success despite being a self-published fanfiction, getting up the hopes of thousands of wannabe writers that maybe they could do the same.

The one thing that does seem different to me is the amount produced by a given author, though. Over here, bringing out a book every 6 months or so is enough to make you a fairly prolific author. Probably because most authors in English-speaking territories hold another job besides writing, whereas in Japan (at least from what I've seen) being a full-time writer is the norm. There's probably a lot more research and planning needed for something like A Song of Ice and Fire (to give the series its proper title) than for the typical light novel series as well, although I don't know how much detail George R. R. Martin went into for the later works when he planned out the series before he started writing. The books are also a little bigger than a bunko format light novel would be.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 23, 2013 5:11 AM

Oct 2011
*6. *93,963 *,*93,963 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.4

yay :)
Aug 23, 2013 9:16 AM

Mar 2013
To be honest some of the comments here are some of the stupidest things I've read in along time, most of the LN I've read even one's like Highschool DXD are pretty damn good reads, I'd place some of them as been just as good and some ways better many western Fantasy authors like David eddings, Tad williams and Anne Mccaffery.

Aug 23, 2013 12:43 PM

Apr 2009
Newhopes said:
To be honest some of the comments here are some of the stupidest things I've read in along time, most of the LN I've read even one's like Highschool DXD are pretty damn good reads, I'd place some of them as been just as good and some ways better many western Fantasy authors like David eddings, Tad williams and Anne Mccaffery.

So you'd put DxD above stuff like Otherland? Explain this, please.
Protip: Novels can be used to stimulate your brain and not only your penis. Or maybe I just missed out on the subtle references in this masterpiece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2TwbJEzLw
NidhoeggrAug 23, 2013 12:54 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 23, 2013 1:11 PM

Mar 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Newhopes said:

So you'd put DxD above stuff like Otherland? Explain this, please.
Protip: Novels can be used to stimulate your brain and not only your penis. Or maybe I just missed out on the subtle references in this masterpiece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2TwbJEzLw

To be frank people like you are basically not worth answering and better off been ignored.

Aug 23, 2013 1:24 PM

Apr 2009
I am serious:
I really tried getting into LN and nearly every LN I read was not really worth it. Please explain to me why DxD has more value - even if we stay on a pulp level - than let's say a book by Tad Williams.
All I got from DxD was terrible humour of the lowest calibre and an at best subpar story whereas even the weaker books of the authors you mentioned at least managed to create somewhat convincing characters and had a plot that was mostly coherent without convenient last minute information dumps, explanations of third parties and other stuff I saw in a lot of LN. Of course I haven't read every book from them, but I have trouble believing that a series where talking to boobs is a serious power is somehow more stimulating (not THAT kind, you horny loners) than somehow creating entire alternate universes of popular fiction while managing a giant cast and creating a believable future society (And yes, I am aware of The War of the Flowers. But even that is better than DxD).
NidhoeggrAug 23, 2013 1:31 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 23, 2013 7:07 PM

Aug 2013
Newhopes said:
To be frank people like you are basically not worth answering and better off been ignored.

I'm having trouble reconciling yout train of thought here. First off, you claimed a work you like to be much better than the others, and then walk away when someone call you out on it without even bothering to back it up. And i don't get why Nidhoeggrs' post isn't worth answering when he's being logical with his statement. I'm sorry for saying this, but you sound like a butthurt fanboy whom being angry for having his favorite works criticized by people.

And, aside from superfaraway's rants, please elaborate which comments are stupid in this thread
Aug 23, 2013 7:58 PM
Aug 2013
Amiluhur said:
biliktemenung said:
that's the reality.

I think you prejudge some of these, which I used to do too. Some of these mediocre light novels are not as bad as they seemed to be (once in a while, you get a few that touch on deeper emotions and themes alongside their slapstick comedy). And if you want to lay blame and dispense your hate, you should extend it to the group of readers who are feeding the industry, and the society which has created such a group of readers. Not to mention that what determines entertainment value to one is subjective. And what you like and enjoy might be garbage to others *shrug* Though I agree somewhat with some of your points, I won't go so far as to start becoming self-righteous on what constitutes good literature and call what others enjoy shit. And speaking of shit, the West also have a fair amount of literature which I personally would consider shit.

Snowical said:

*1, 122,628 220,059 Sword Art Online Vol.13 Alicization Dividing
*2, *53,556 103,537 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.11 Raihousha-hen Ge

i feel it's so illogical why literature like this sell well in Japan and tend to be favored in Eastern.
they should admitted that all of these are pulp fiction.
and that's a Fact.
Aug 23, 2013 8:05 PM

Aug 2013
biliktemenung said:
i feel it's so illogical why literature like this sell well in Japan and tend to be favored in Eastern.
and that's a Fact.

First off, Eastern =/= Japan
second, you haven't adressed any single point from my post above
third, even if you find their sales illogical, it's the fact on field. You can accept it and move on or keep dogpiling on it. Either way not my problem
fourth, calm down and drop this tired topic already
AmiluhurAug 23, 2013 8:09 PM
Aug 23, 2013 10:58 PM

Aug 2009
Amiluhur said:
Newhopes said:

I'm having trouble reconciling yout train of thought here. First off, you claimed a work you like to be much better than the others, and then walk away when someone call you out on it without even bothering to back it up. And i don't get why Nidhoeggrs' post isn't worth answering when he's being logical with his statement. I'm sorry for saying this, but you sound like a butthurt fanboy whom being angry for having his favorite works criticized by people.

And, aside from superfaraway's rants, please elaborate which comments are stupid in this thread

I'm gonna say he's too stupid to come up with a response himself. How ironic.
Aug 24, 2013 2:36 AM
Aug 2013
Amiluhur said:

First off, Eastern =/= Japan
second, you haven't adressed any single point from my post above
third, even if you find their sales illogical, it's the fact on field. You can accept it and move on or keep dogpiling on it. Either way not my problem
fourth, calm down and drop this tired topic already

i know it but i think Eastern literature isn't really good.
also Sturgeon's Law can be applied to manga.
there is very little that can be quite good like naruto, one piece, or Shingeki no Kyojin.
I just don't understand why so many people are recommending something not good and this was actually wasting my time.
Aug 24, 2013 6:11 AM

Mar 2013
Amiluhur said:
Newhopes said:

You haven't been here for long have you, he's the type of person that thinks he knows it all and trys to insults you if you disagree or show he's wrong. I've seen him do it numerous times and frankly he's not worth the effort.

Aug 24, 2013 7:35 AM

Nov 2011
biliktemenung said:

And then what? You think people would suddenly stop enjoying them?

biliktemenung said:

there is very little that can be quite good like naruto, one piece, or Shingeki no Kyojin.
I just don't understand why so many people are recommending something not good and this was actually wasting my time.

So you're bashing LN's, yet you praise Naruto?

I don't even....

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 24, 2013 1:08 PM

Dec 2012
Lmao, I dont even know if I should take some of the posts in this thread seriously or not, because they look really troll-ish to me but the way the poster keeps talking makes me think he really is serious xD.

Either way, it seems like any arguments made against such posts will lead no where and is just a waste of time lol.

Anyways, I've been following these weekly sales for a while now, and I was too lazy to ask before, but I might as well ask now -
How many chapters does one volume of a manga usually have? And whats the usual/average time period between each volume's release, for both LNs and weekly/monthly mangas? ( I just recently started taking an interest in such stuff, so I'm pretty much a noob lol)
Aug 24, 2013 1:29 PM

Nov 2012
fairy tail v39 vs toriko v26 who will have the most sales i wonder
Aug 25, 2013 3:37 AM
Aug 2013
rederoin said:

And then what? You think people would suddenly stop enjoying them?

i only want to say that SAO LN is poorly written. the story and characters are badly written. also the characters lack dimension otherwise known as perfect "Mary Sue" or "Gary Stu".

and they start to rage like a butthurt fanboy.
they keep saying it's good, fantastic, bla bla bla.
then i think they never read a good literature before. i pity them.
Aug 25, 2013 3:49 AM
Jan 2013
biliktemenung said:
i only want to say that SAO LN is poorly written. the story and characters are badly written. also the characters lack dimension otherwise known as perfect "Mary Sue" or "Gary Stu".

You do that in order to feel superior than others? Too bad because your attitude reminds me just some usual internet nerds. What important is just accepting there are different opinion. You have no right to criticise fandom when you aren't so different. Just because 'some butthurt fanboy' started raging, it doesn't mean you are the right one.

Plus,
biliktemenung said:
i know it but i think Eastern literature isn't really good.
This sentence = deserve no respect.
Aug 25, 2013 4:03 AM

Dec 2011
biliktemenung said:

Right. So you are insulting all light novels and all fans of them just because you personally dislike one series that happens to sell well (though is FAR from record breaking levels). Right.

You know, you're the one who deserves pity.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 25, 2013 4:18 AM
Aug 2013
Kitchiri said:
You do that in order to feel superior than others? Too bad because your attitude reminds me just some usual internet nerds. What important is just accepting there are different opinion. You have no right to criticise fandom when you aren't so different. Just because 'some butthurt fanboy' started raging, it doesn't mean you are the right one.

i'm only say that most LN is not a good literature, that's all.
and i don't know if i write something wrong here ?

kuuderes_shadow said:

Right. So you are insulting all light novels and all fans of them just because you personally dislike one series that happens to sell well (though is FAR from record breaking levels). Right.

You know, you're the one who deserves pity.

that's only one example because that just happened to be at the top right now.
not to mention there is a lot LN with ecchi, harem, or terrible humour.
Aug 25, 2013 4:27 AM

Dec 2011
biliktemenung - read the Book Girl series. The English language translation by Yen Press. If that doesn't change your mind about them being "not a good literature" (sic) then you have some odd requirements for things to count as that...

Of course, just as SAO was for you, that's only one example.

And yes, there are a lot of LN with ecchi in them or harems (whether real ones or not). But them being in a genre that you dislike (or using humour that you dislike, or don't get - or that was inserted by some rogue translator who was bored/thought it was funny themself) does not make them in any way inferior to things that do match your personal taste. One thing I can guarantee is that most people in this world would call your sense of humour and tastes in literature awful. I don't even have to know what you like in order to say that.
Aug 25, 2013 5:45 AM

Jul 2013
Snowical said:

Light Novels and Anime/Manga related books

*2, *53,556 103,537 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.11

Oh God, the amount of hate this will recieve when gets an adaptation.
Aug 25, 2013 5:59 AM

Sep 2012
biliktemenung said:
i'm only say that most LN is not a good literature, that's all.
and i don't know if i write something wrong here ?
Sweeping generalization is one thing - there are thousands of LNs around and most of them do not get adapted into anime and even fewer get any translation. How much about LN do you know? And you think that your attitude is not problematic? Besides you display cultural snobbery by stating in the west people do not read pulp fiction and only Japanese read bad stuff like LN. I am surprised that you seem to seriously believe what you said - I would actually think it is more credible if you were intentionally trolling.

Aug 26, 2013 5:54 AM

Jun 2012
Ah, Sket Dance :)

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Aug 26, 2013 5:58 AM

Dec 2011
YusakuGodai said:
Ah, Sket Dance :)

Might be the last time we ever see it on the rankings.
Aug 26, 2013 7:34 AM

Nov 2011
biliktemenung said:

They write novels that have a bad story or characters, whats your point?
In the west we have Twilight and fifty shades of grey.

Ever heard of Kino's journey or welcome to the NHK?
rederoinAug 26, 2013 7:39 AM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 26, 2013 7:53 AM

Aug 2013
I'm utterly surprised that some people still bother dragging this tired topic. I mean, at this point of time all of us here pretty much understand already biliktemenung's general attitude on this thread and how to deal with him.

That is, don't add fuel to fire
Aug 28, 2013 5:18 PM

Mar 2012
Just looking at manga sale in ANN and I want to say go TLRD.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 1, 2013 1:47 AM

Apr 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
It becomes more obvious with every week that letting SnK go was one of the biggest mistakes the editorial staff behind WSJ made in recent years.

Snowical said:

*1, 122,628 220,059 Sword Art Online Vol.13 Alicization Dividing
*2, *53,556 103,537 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.11 Raihousha-hen Ge

And this is why LN have a bad reputation in the West, although it is hardly anything new.

It's not like it's anything new indeed, and not like it's only restricted to japanese material as well as restricted to novels.
As if someone wanting to read quality light novels would use the sales number to decide what to buy. Anyone knows (or should know ) that what sells the most is what is made to be sold the most by appealing to everyone up to some extend, in other words, things with high commercial values and most of the time low or average quality values. This is the same everywhere in the world for movies, novels, comics, and so on.
Sales number are interesting values but should never be used to decide what to buy by anyone interested in reading quality work over commercial works.

EDIT: ah, the discussion already got quite passed this point.

Nidhoeggr said:

A friend of mine studies Japanese as well and he told me that a lot of LN rely heavily on the use of Furigana and that the (lack of) Kanji use is mostly because they are written for a younger audience who don't know lots of Kanji yet. This is also what is written in the LN Wikipedia entry in my country and in a few magazines articles I bought. I am confused now...

This is not true. Most LN make uses of the 2000 regular kanjis, simply adding furigana for complicated ones when they appears for the first time since a few pages, and some LN are using kanji who are freaking rare or even completely unused nowadays, and furigana aren't even always present (c^3 for one is doing that last point several times by volume).
ALso, heavily relying on furigana means heavily writting in kanji. Don't mistake furigana with hiragana here. If there are furigana everywhere, it means there are kanji everywhere.

For those saying that LN aren't good literature, read things like spice and wolf, magdala de nemure, or rokka no yuusha for example before insulting the whole genre after reading just commercial LN/LN made entertainment purpose please. For a longer list please consult someone who have read more LN than me.
Because you probably don't even know what you're talking about right now.
ZefyrisSep 1, 2013 2:17 AM
Sep 1, 2013 7:38 AM

Sep 2012
Zefyris said:
Nidhoeggr said:

A friend of mine studies Japanese as well and he told me that a lot of LN rely heavily on the use of Furigana and that the (lack of) Kanji use is mostly because they are written for a younger audience who don't know lots of Kanji yet. This is also what is written in the LN Wikipedia entry in my country and in a few magazines articles I bought. I am confused now...

This is not true. Most LN make uses of the 2000 regular kanjis, simply adding furigana for complicated ones when they appears for the first time since a few pages, and some LN are using kanji who are freaking rare or even completely unused nowadays, and furigana aren't even always present (c^3 for one is doing that last point several times by volume).
ALso, heavily relying on furigana means heavily writting in kanji. Don't mistake furigana with hiragana here. If there are furigana everywhere, it means there are kanji everywhere.
Just to illustrate how utterly nonsensical the idea that LN is lacking in kanji is, just take the last volume of Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai which many in the west consider as a typical and "generic" harem stuff that is so common in LN (unfairly or not). Just look at the pages taken from it. There are kanji in every page and the amount is not much lower compared to other reading material for people in high school age. And most of the kanji don't even carry furigana. I suggest Nidhoeggr should ask his friend to name by what criteria he means for "heavy use of furigana" and "lack of kanji".

http://services.2013aug.akibablog.net/images/21/h_ga_dekinai/112.html
http://services.2013aug.akibablog.net/images/21/h_ga_dekinai/109.html
symbvSep 1, 2013 8:28 AM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Samishigariya no Ryuu' Anime Movie Announced for 2025

Vindstot - Yesterday

20 by MichaelJackson »»
2 minutes ago

» Fall 2024 Preview

Snow - Yesterday

8 by UberBat »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Season 2 Announced for Winter 2025

Vindstot - 6 hours ago

4 by Sleabedybarb »»
4 hours ago

» Kyoto Animation Adapts 'Nichijou' Author's 'City' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

34 by AE-2 »»
10 hours ago

» Voice Actress Aya Hirano, Actor Masashi Taniguchi Announce Marriage

Vindstot - Jan 2

37 by MR-GRAYv2 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.