Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 27, 2013 9:18 AM
Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
the sense of pacing and exposition is borderline non-existent...
It just gets so many basic storytelling and expositions things wrong I find it utterly baffling as to how this could have been allowed to happen.
Could you elaborate on this? I mean, is there something that should have happened by now, or something that should have happened sooner?
Jul 27, 2013 9:23 AM

Oct 2007
Imosa said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
the sense of pacing and exposition is borderline non-existent...
It just gets so many basic storytelling and expositions things wrong I find it utterly baffling as to how this could have been allowed to happen.
Could you elaborate on this? I mean, is there something that should have happened by now, or something that should have happened sooner?

I don't know have the characters showcase something other than being weird, boisterous and effeminate. Be interesting and compelling to some degree with it's material when the setup is there for it. They could have integrated all this social media stuff into the framework of the story in some way that gives the characters noticeable drive instead of just to depict weird campy scenes like the milk crisis in the schools or so that they can give Hajime a contrived moral leg up on the rest of the cast without actually having to do anything heroic.

Basically give me a reason to care about what I'm seeing on screen and to see the supposed super hero team actually doing heroic stuff and making a difference instead of just sitting around and talking about how great the Gatchaman legacy is supposed to be and what a great guy J.J is. Showing half-hearted examples of character conflict like Hajime and Sugane's, villains acting all effeminate for the majority of their scenes doesn't exactly cut it on the intrigue level from where I'm sitting.
PeacingOutJul 27, 2013 9:27 AM
Jul 27, 2013 9:39 AM

Jul 2010
I fucking laughed at Hajime being a cockroach.

Also, Dat backpack.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
Voldomino said:
AOTC.
Really, I had zero expectations for this show. I hope it will keep on proving me wrong like this.
Sexy OST, good animation AND artistic direction (for once, thank god), a colourful but actually interesting cast (Saya clone aside, I hope she'll get better) and the story seems to be taking an interesting path. Keep it up.

If everyone was like Hajime, the world would be a better place.

I had moderate expectations for this show and so far it's managed to disappoint pretty much all of them. The characters are lousy and frankly while I have little issue with alternative lifestyles I don't know why every other character needs to be an example of one, the sense of pacing and exposition is borderline non-existent, the animation quality control is abysmal....the soundtrack is alright but that's about all this has going for it right now. It just gets so many basic storytelling and expositions things wrong I find it utterly baffling as to how this could have been allowed to happen. I think even Nakamura and Tatsunoko's last team up in [C] had a better opening set of episodes, it's just that slipshod.

Just unacceptable setup and execution for me. If it can't pick it up next week when it looks like it really wants to go for it finally then it's an easy drop for me. Setting my expectations at the lowest possible level and totally prepared for it to drop the ball on the frankly already kind of weak cliffhanger setup somehow.

Jul 27, 2013 10:17 AM
Sep 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I don't know have the characters showcase something other than being weird, boisterous and effeminate. Be interesting and compelling to some degree with it's material when the setup is there for it. They could have integrated all this social media stuff into the framework of the story in some way that gives the characters noticeable drive instead of just to depict weird campy scenes like the milk crisis in the schools or so that they can give Hajime a contrived moral leg up on the rest of the cast without actually having to do anything heroic.

Basically give me a reason to care about what I'm seeing on screen and to see the supposed super hero team actually doing heroic stuff and making a difference. Showing half-hearted examples of character conflict like Hajime and Sugane's, villains acting all effeminate for the majority of their scenes doesn't exactly cut it on the intrigue level from where I'm sitting.

I have to disagree with you on this one as I feel that we've been given a lot of insight especially on Hajime's outlook and mindset and that she's much more than her eccentric and loud appearance suggests. Her conversations with Sugane have contributed a lot to that. I'm not sure why you believe that the milk crisis is supposed to give Hajime a moral leg up as she was one of many people who helped out, not as a superhero who does heroic stuff but as one of many individuals working together (which is also seems like the main point of this scene, not to mention that it showcases just how Rui influences incidents like these through GALAX).

That also appears to be the main conflict of this series, the Gatachaman organization which solves problems through those "heroic stuff" in the background as you called them against GALAX which relies on people helping themselves. After all the Gatachaman crew has been showcased as a loosely connected group consisting of mostly unmotivated and whimsical characters so I wouldn't expect heroic actions too soon.

I can see how you expect more character developement from them, though. It seems like the show is intentionally spending as little screentime on characters like Utsutsu or O.D. as possible to save their background and special traits for later parts of the show if the OP is any indication, though their scene at home in this episode thankfully gave us a slightly more nuanced view on them.
Similarly it seems that Bergkatze is held an enigma for exactly that reason.

As to the antagonist, if the scenes involving Rui this week where his plans and mindset are explained didn't do it for you then I fear that this anime is a lost case for you since the further plot progression will most likely build up on that.

EudaimoniaJul 27, 2013 10:34 AM
Jul 27, 2013 10:27 AM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I had moderate expectations for this show and so far it's managed to disappoint pretty much all of them. The characters are lousy and frankly while I have little issue with alternative lifestyles I don't know why every other character needs to be an example of one, the sense of pacing and exposition is borderline non-existent, the animation quality control is abysmal....the soundtrack is alright but that's about all this has going for it right now. It just gets so many basic storytelling and expositions things wrong I find it utterly baffling as to how this could have been allowed to happen. I think even Nakamura and Tatsunoko's last team up in [C] had a better opening set of episodes, it's just that slipshod.
I am at the very opposite to you. I had not much expectation for the show and so far it's managed to appeal to me more and more LOL. The characters are appealing and how many are really in alternative lifestyles except one gay looking person? Eccentrics most characters are, but then in anime we see these kinds of people a lot. Pacing and execution are really good. I get a sense of each event trying to pull viewers closer to the crux of matter while it still keep enough space to cover things happening in the bigger context so give us the exposition to learn about the world and the environment little by little. Animation is not really as bad as some are saying, at least it is never a sore to watch and it even has some nice animation from time to time.

All in all, not saying it is something unquestionably great, but still I find it an entertaining watch with a relevant theme and sincere effort that I could sense. Far far from a disappointment.
symbvJul 27, 2013 10:30 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 27, 2013 10:36 AM

Feb 2011
I am confused as fuck -_________-"
Jul 27, 2013 10:45 AM

Oct 2007
Eudaimonia said:

I can see how you expect more character developement from them, though. It seems like the show is intentionally spending as little screentime on characters like Utsutsu or O.D. as possible to save their background and special traits for later parts of the show if the OP is any indication, though their scene at home in this episode thankfully gave us a slightly more nuanced view on them.
Similarly it seems that Bergkatze is held an enigma for exactly that reason.

As to the antagonist, if the scenes involving Rui this week where his plans and mindset are explained didn't do it for you then I fear that this anime is a lost case for you since the further plot progression will most likely build up on that.

Honestly the problem isn't so much with the fact that the cast isn't terribly well developed yet so much as the ones that have been given focus all kind of give the feeling of being joke/gag/placeholder characters so far. It's like I'm left asking, "Okay guys you got me, now when does the real cast show up so this story can get going with the social media premise?" and then by episode 3 I'm like, "Oh....oh.......this is the real cast.....oh dear" :/
Jul 27, 2013 10:58 AM
Feb 2013
Whoa, that GALAX thing was sure very handy.
Jul 27, 2013 11:22 AM

Aug 2011
I didn't understand a shit ;_;

Decent OST =)

Can't get enough of WHITE ASH opening *v*!!
Jul 27, 2013 11:56 AM

Sep 2011
Poor Microsoft: the first time I see someone using one of their Surface tablets is in an anime...

Jul 27, 2013 2:11 PM
Jan 2013

So, whose side is she?
Jul 27, 2013 2:31 PM
Jun 2013
I love how this anime confused the fuck out of me but still kept me wanting to watch more o .o.

sidenote RUI WAS A TRAP? WDF I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE...
Jul 27, 2013 2:32 PM

Feb 2011
Still loving this show A LOT. The characters are just great and I loved the whole Milk scenario.

Also, the music is so damn good, I can't wait for the OST to come out!
Jul 27, 2013 2:41 PM

Jun 2010
Wow man. I seriously didn't expect something from this but... wow...
Jul 27, 2013 2:54 PM

Oct 2011
Amazing. GALAX was able to solve that crisis. I love the OST. Action starts next week
Jul 27, 2013 3:08 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Abracapanda said:
(much stuff here)Power Rangers (much stuff here)
I've never seen Power Rangers. I'm actually proud of that :) (though I'm sure I miss a LOT of jokes and references because of that)
Jul 27, 2013 4:38 PM

Jul 2013
cute
Jul 27, 2013 7:59 PM

Apr 2012
Still confusing anime but a good one, love it :D
Jul 27, 2013 8:14 PM

Oct 2012
I guess since MESS isn't the enemy any more? Too bad I thought they looked pretty cool.

anyone think Rui will be an antagonist? theres already that weird grell-looking guy running around kissing everyone.
Jul 27, 2013 10:10 PM
Dec 2012
bobyn said:
I guess since MESS isn't the enemy any more? Too bad I thought they looked pretty cool.

Give it a bit, we still know very little about these things.

bobyn said:
anyone think Rui will be an antagonist? theres already that weird grell-looking guy running around kissing everyone.

Baddie007 said:
[img]
So, whose side is she?

Rui is probably more complicated then good or bad, however he will probably be more in the enemy camp until late in the story just because he seems compromised like that. He has good intentions but might be going about them in the wrong fashion (and he may not know that).
My current theory is that he made a sort of deal with Bergkatze. Bergkatze gave him the power called "Crowds" which he used to establish GalaX and the hundred to "upgrade the world". At this point he's done with Bergkatze's "gift" because GalaX is doing what it was intended to do, but Bergkatze is still around because now Rui is being forced to use "Crowds" again, to solve a problem that not even GalaX can solve.

If you want a bad guy look at Bergkatze. S/He has yet to display any redeeming qualities, other then giving out free sugar to random strangers... and pushing Joe to use his Gatchaman Armor.

Kjeldoran said:
I don't really see any potential for character development either, except for Sugane being humiliated humbled in the fact that his idealism is wrong as proved by Hajime or Rui, for not being the same type of altruist as Hajime is, will eventually "see the light." Maybe I'll be proved wrong; I doubt it.

This. I like that Hajime tried befriending the MESS because I cringe when characters attack an enemy before understanding them. However, her attitude is a little end game, seeing as she already seems to have everything figured out.

[gonna rant real fast]
Honestly, my biggest problem here isn't that Hajime is a bad character but that she lives in a world that's too nice. There is a reason nobody has tried walking to JJ, because there appears to be a bottomless pit separating him. Deciding to test this pit isn't a profound move by Hajime, it's stupid, a blatant disregard of any experience she's had involving gravity. Same thing about the collaging club, people don't do it because they don't think it would be fun, they don't do it because trying to get people really excited about something is hard and can be an ineffective use of one's time.
[finished rant]

I read somewhere that Joe used to be a lot more energetic about Gatchaman's job but became discouraged, and Hajime would reverse this. If that turns out to work out then that would be good (although I'm not sure why that would be revealed, maybe it was a fan theory).
Jul 27, 2013 10:19 PM

Apr 2011
Jul 27, 2013 10:21 PM

Nov 2012
damn shit just getting real..
so there is another organization like gatchaman? XD
crowds? XD cool shit.. XD lol

rui is really weird -_- why he always wearing cosplay? -_-

btw.. looks like next episode gonna be awesome XD

oh! utsutsu really cute XD "utsu-tsu suru" XD
Jul 27, 2013 10:22 PM

Jun 2013
I want to be friends with Hajime. My god, she's wonderful.
Jul 28, 2013 3:27 AM

Aug 2012
no J.J on this episode? :(

Utsu-tsu was so adorable, and Hajime was awesome as always. Sugane gone mad with the broom stick was hilarious

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 28, 2013 6:03 AM

May 2012
Basically give me a reason to care about what I'm seeing on screen and to see the supposed super hero team actually doing heroic stuff and making a difference. Showing half-hearted examples of character conflict like Hajime and Sugane's, villains acting all effeminate for the majority of their scenes doesn't exactly cut it on the intrigue level from where I'm sitting.

Honestly, the problem lies more on you expecting the show to follow the same guidelines of other similar themed series.
I don't know what's the problem with the pacing. This three episode consolided the setting and gave us an insight of most of the characters' personalities/motivations/backgrounds. Can't say the execution wasn't sloppy for some (ex. Joe), but overall it was good.

If you don't like the characters, it means it's not your cup of tea, so just drop it. Simple as that.

The show likes to play with old superhero tropes (the stoic hero, the overly flamboyant villain etc.) so it's no suprise it feels odd to some people.
EDIT:
Seemingly the fundamental purpose of Gatchaman Crowds is to subvert the superhero conventions; of the original series, seen in Power Rangers, seen in typical shounen animes, and seen from classic comic book heroes. Aside from the costumes screaming modernisation, you can see this already with how the villains, the MESS, were misunderstood - not requiring Gatchman/superhero intervention in the regular baddy-bashing criminalising expectation. Less notably, at the end of episode 1, most viewers expected each episode to handle a single MESS, whilst honing in on a side-character, one by one - typically shounen. Rather, given what episode 3 would indicate, we're being treated to something less linear and what I hope will be a tailored pacing/structure to give us a unique anime experience, rather than follow the normal (somewhat tired and old in my opinion) structure of an exposition, conflict and resolution (If you want that, maybe find a Shakespearean play?)

Didn't see that.
Basically, what the man said.
Dorudo-kunJul 28, 2013 6:07 AM
Jul 28, 2013 7:50 AM

Apr 2013
Nice episode. Hajime is energetic as always :D
Jul 28, 2013 9:34 AM
Jan 2011

So, who's side are you?
Jul 28, 2013 1:04 PM

Jan 2011
Baddie007 said:

So, whose side is she?

He is on the side of people who help others not for a reward or reputation but simply for the sake of helping others. That's why he made GALAX. He is also against those who hate fun. Hajime is a perfect example of the kind of people he is sided with, you could even say she is the product of his creation. But these two are bound to clash eventually judging by the OP. I am very curious to see how that will play out since they are so similar.
VioLinkJul 28, 2013 1:12 PM
[center]
Jul 28, 2013 1:28 PM

Dec 2009
Interesting episode in terms of the story, but I felt the execution was off. Felt a bit all over the place, to be honest.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jul 28, 2013 2:19 PM

Jan 2011
Nasty001 said:

So, who's side are you?

No battle lines have been drawn yet, at least between Hajime and Rui.
[center]
Jul 28, 2013 2:25 PM
Jul 2009
VioLink said:
you could even say she is the product of his creation.

I agree with everything you said except this point. Even though Rui's ideal is a world where people help others without seeking reward, GALAX, ironically, is a system which gives points as reward for every good deed you do, which goes against Rui's own philosophy.

Basically, Rui is a cynic. He wants a world where people is truly selfless, but he doesn't believe it's possible, so he created a system that exploits people's natural selfishness.

Hajime isn't a product of his creation. She's the exact opposite of what his creation promotes. She's the one person who is really selfless.

And now you know why they're going to clash: their ideals are pretty much the same, but Rui, deep down, has already lost faith in humanity, while Hajime still believes, and more than anyone.
1idd0kunJul 28, 2013 2:29 PM
Jul 28, 2013 2:48 PM

Jan 2011
1idd0kun said:
VioLink said:
you could even say she is the product of his creation.

I agree with everything you said except this point. Even though Rui's ideal is a world where people help others without seeking reward, GALAX, ironically, is a system which gives points as reward for every good deed you do, which goes against Rui's own philosophy.

Basically, Rui is a cynic. He wants a world where people is truly selfless, but he doesn't believe it's possible, so he created a system that exploits people's natural selfishness.

Hajime isn't a product of his creation. She's the exact opposite of what his creation promotes. She's the one person who is really selfless.

And now you know why they're going to clash: their ideals are pretty much the same, but Rui, deep down, has already lost faith in humanity, while Hajime still believes, and more than anyone.

Well yes calling her his creation might've been going a bit too far, but she does use his app and plays a part in his plan of "updating the world" just like the other users. Great input on the two characters btw I was thinking something similar but seeing it written down really drives home how different these two are. I guess I was focusing too much on their similarities because I like when protagonists and antagonists have a lot in common.
VioLinkJul 28, 2013 2:56 PM
[center]
Jul 28, 2013 5:38 PM
Jan 2012
Did anyone else think that was fucking awesome?
Jul 29, 2013 2:26 PM

Jun 2008
I actually really liked that episode. Wasn't liking the show in the first couple episodes.

The theme songs are also really good.
Jul 29, 2013 5:00 PM

Mar 2009
This show is getting better and better with every episode.

The social media concept is very cool, I can't wait to see where they take it.

My only complaint is that I want to see the other Gatchamen in action!

Urahara Out!!
Jul 29, 2013 5:38 PM
Jan 2012
Nice episode... really like this anime... Hajime awesome as always
Jul 29, 2013 7:05 PM

May 2010
Getting tired of the Cliche 'Show the bad guy at the end of every episode' deal. =.=
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Jul 29, 2013 11:33 PM

Nov 2012
real fun episode this time. also im loving the background music
Jul 30, 2013 11:47 AM
Jun 2009
Especially after watching this episode, the anime style and music really reminds me of the Nintendo DS game, 'The World Ends With You', which is quite good for a change compared to traditional anime.
Jul 31, 2013 6:56 AM
Feb 2012
Part of this show is so random that it's good. It's really fun to watch.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jul 31, 2013 7:16 AM

Feb 2012
Man Hajime is the physical manifestation of everything i hate about a character. An annoying, optimistic, happy go lucky, guy smiley tool....etc. BUT SHE's MY FAVORITE CHARACTER OF THE YEAR!!! Best FEMC ive seen in LOOOOOOOONG TIME(still love you Misaka ^^)

Lost my shit when Sugane was swinging the brom XD
Jul 31, 2013 4:34 PM

Jan 2010
PLAY THE GAY
that trap omg <3
Jul 31, 2013 11:19 PM

Jan 2009
crowds is the galax or internet right?
Aug 1, 2013 2:48 PM

Jul 2012
It was kinda awesome ;D
Aug 1, 2013 4:06 PM

Nov 2012
i love rui hes so adorable and cute
i cant wait when rui and hajime meet each other oh boy
Aug 2, 2013 6:28 AM

Sep 2012
oh my when spoiled milks attack,
& Joe looks like he was about to fuck shit up .
Aug 8, 2013 8:25 AM

Oct 2012
Utsu-chan is so cute when she act like that.
Decent episode hi guess still having trouble with the show but meh.
Rui is a god damn great trap seriously he look really cute in girl clothe it really freak's me out but why does he dress like that is he hiding or anything or just a personal hobby i dunno ?!
So we get to see Jo fight next episode pretty cool.
Aug 17, 2013 12:52 AM

Jul 2008
So we have one definite bad guy and maybe one potential bad guy in Rui?
Aug 18, 2013 11:20 AM

Sep 2010
This anime is getting more epic with every episode.
Also, the soundtrack - it's so amazing!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Jul 12, 2013

299 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 7, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

VioLink - Sep 27, 2013

213 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 19, 2023 4:49 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2013

93 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 19, 2023 2:31 AM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

VioLink - Sep 13, 2013

103 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 18, 2023 1:21 PM

Poll: » Gatchaman Crowds Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2013

128 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 16, 2023 3:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.