Forum Settings
Forums

Do you constantly update/change your ratings on MAL?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 6, 2012 11:34 PM

Nov 2010
i use the MAL updater so i don't have to haha :)
Mar 7, 2012 12:00 AM

Aug 2011
kickthebucket said:

Y U NO READ POST #1?

I am disappoint.
Mar 7, 2012 12:14 AM
Sep 2011
I go around changing rating once in a while. Sometimes I feel like I don't have the heart to low-rate something I neither hated nor really cared for.

When I first joined I added literally every anime I had seen, including ones that I only saw a random episode on TV. Since I had no interest in looking those shows up again, they went into the dropped list. People complained. A lot.

So now I only list things that I've properly watched.
Mar 7, 2012 12:23 AM

Dec 2010
Tiago97 said:
kickthebucket said:

Y U NO READ POST #1?

I am disappoint.

U STOLE MY LINE
Mar 7, 2012 1:03 AM
Apr 2010
I always mess around with my ratings especially while doing one of those "Comment on the list above you" things, they really get you thinking about your ratings. Normally the first rating I give a show is just how much I enjoyed it, over time I'll mess around and actually think about whether I really liked the show plus compare it to shows on the same rating level. I leave stuff my top tier stuff alone though, 10s stay 10s. As for the sub/obj thing, my ratings will always be heavily subjective. I just can't put away the personal feelings/tastes when rating.
Mar 7, 2012 1:04 AM

Feb 2012
I don't change my scores that much but when I do it's either a 1 number difference and I also just change it when I am watching a show.
Mar 7, 2012 1:08 AM

Sep 2011
I update my scores a lot, since my ratings are based on what I've already seen.
Mar 7, 2012 1:49 AM

Jan 2012
Yeah, I'm somewhat obsessive with my scoring and being organized. I feel like the more I watch, the better idea I will have of "what's hot" and "what's not." To me, having more anime completed gives you a better foundation and basis to rate series on.
Mar 7, 2012 1:56 AM

Aug 2011
Not really... I am sometimes too lazy to update even though I watched or read an Anime/Manga. But I will when I am in the mood :)
Also, I never changed any ratings.
Mar 7, 2012 2:09 AM

Jul 2011
I usually rate anime when I finish watching it although there are some exceptions. Sometimes I do change ratings, especially when I scroll down my list and look at the bigger picture, considering how the show compares with others.

I am totally subjective, thank you very much and tend to give higher score when there is some character I like very much or seems close to me in some aspect. Although i try to consider different things like plot complexity, character development, music, graphics and so on the biggest factor seems to be enjoyment, which tends to become blunter over the edges as time passes.
Mar 7, 2012 2:21 AM

Feb 2012
i just add all in one, the end of the day

nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan Forever!
Mar 7, 2012 2:41 AM

Feb 2011
I usually keep same scores, but sometimes can differ 1 point, from time to time I check the list and change something:

For example: Elfen Lied I gave it a 9 because it was one of the first and I enjoied so much, later after watch more and more, I guess it should be an 8 no more, then changed, and probably if I watched now for first time would be max a 7 but depend of the moment you watch, the anime experience and all.
Kioukai Senjou I gave it a 6 but come on I hated most of the show and just the las episodes are just ok, I can't give it more than a 5...

Never I change a show with more than 1 point difference, 1 point is not so much but sometimes you are between one mark and another and with the time you decided you should have used lower because the hype :P

Also I want to have an average of 6,6 more or less taking in count that I watch 10-15 shows by season, that means I'm not really picky and I watch shows that are not the best in the world :)
Mar 7, 2012 2:49 AM

Feb 2012
I've been updating a lot recently. I don't update my scores too often but every now and then if I see that two manga/anime are rated the same in my list that I didn't enjoy equally; that can cause me to move several series' ratings up or down.
Mar 7, 2012 2:52 AM

Nov 2010
Legendre said:
Tiago97 said:
kickthebucket said:

Y U NO READ POST #1?

I am disappoint.

U STOLE MY LINE

woops just skipped to the last page so missed the OP sorry bout that.

so to answer it correctly now.

i did once and now i'm fine with it (bumped down ZnT and some other stuff) oh and last thing i did was adding dead note back to my dropped list because people started recomending it again.
Mar 7, 2012 3:00 AM

Sep 2010
yep after every episode, cause else i dont know where im left after a while.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2012 3:05 AM

Jun 2009
Leonard93 said:

Personally I adjusted some ratings over the years, but really only a few. I don't like messing with my ratings. They basically represent how much I enjoyed watching a show at a certain time (namely when I watched it).

There are a few shows on my list where I think "okay if you'd watch this nowadays it would get a lower rating but back then you thought it was awesome".

I think we all went through the phase when we only started with watching anime and consequently thought every single show was amazing. The more shows you've seen and can compare, the more critical you most likely become. That's why my rating tend to lower overall than they used to be, let's say, three years ago.
Mar 7, 2012 3:20 AM

Feb 2012
Not exactly. You could say that my list now is the updated version of my AniDB list, which I did a major update on some time ago. Since both have the 1-10 rating system, I needed to adjust my past viewings to resemble the present. It was impossible back when I had watched only a hundred or so titles. It doesn't mean that the anime I watched suddenly became worse or better, but simply that I have a better feel for the scale.
Mar 7, 2012 3:36 AM

Sep 2010
I don't change my ratings as I rate animes I've seen mostly in the same day I finished them.
Don't like rating them after some time.
Then to keep a track of ptw and watching record, so yes I go to the list often.
Mar 7, 2012 4:48 AM

Jun 2007
quite often

6 years ago when I was a stupid teen (with less than like 100 shows watched) I would have given shows like FMA, Bleach, Naruto, etc fairly high ratings.

Eventually your standards completely change and you realize these shows are trash.

So every now and then I'll come across a show that does something so well it changes what I think deserves high ratings.
LeondreMar 7, 2012 4:54 AM
Mar 7, 2012 6:07 AM

Aug 2011
grandy_UiD said:
Leonard93 said:

Yeah...
I think it's time to make the topic title clearer.

th3dudee said:
i just add all in one, the end of the day

Mmmmkay.
Mar 7, 2012 6:34 AM

Nov 2010
think the title would be more clear if you would ask if they change the score (and other things you might want to know) in the list
Mar 7, 2012 6:49 AM

Feb 2012
Sometimes I do.
Mar 7, 2012 7:09 AM

Jun 2007
the title/question is very straightforward, not sure how anyone could misunderstand it.
Mar 7, 2012 7:29 AM

Aug 2011
Leondre said:
the title/question is very straightforward, not sure how anyone could misunderstand it.

Instead of "Do you constantly update/change your anime list?", I'd rather have "Do you constantly change the ratings on your list?".
And I don't seem to be the only one.
Mar 7, 2012 7:53 AM

Mar 2011
No. On all my watching list, excluding the long running shows, I haven't updated them since I started watching them. I update them once I finish them.

I occasionally update my list by changing the ratings, but not often
Mar 7, 2012 8:01 AM

Feb 2008
I only rate them down when I realize that the rating is way too high or because I want to adjust my mean score so it's closer to a 6 or a 5. It's kind of silly to go through your scores and lower the ratings on shows you've seen years ago just because you don't feel as strongly about them now as you did before. Of course you won't, it's been a long time. How you felt at the time when watching is most important and you shouldn't change that just to hold up an illusion of credibility or whatever.

As for currently airing stuff, nope. It's the same reason as why reviewing currently airing anime (especially when it's original and not based on any existing source material) is retarded. The quality can completely change towards the end of it and that's why I usually wait until I finish watching something before it gets rated.
Mar 7, 2012 12:10 PM

Dec 2010
kickthebucket said:
Legendre said:
Tiago97 said:
kickthebucket said:

Y U NO READ POST #1?

I am disappoint.

U STOLE MY LINE

woops just skipped to the last page so missed the OP sorry bout that.

so to answer it correctly now.

i did once and now i'm fine with it (bumped down ZnT and some other stuff) oh and last thing i did was adding dead note back to my dropped list because people started recomending it again.

lol it's fine ^_^

@jalasupi: I do the same thing, except I keep my average at or around 7.0

@Veronin: I completely agree. Yet I still go back and change older shows ratings. I can still remember everything about the show, but no matter what, most of the "enjoyment" factor is going to be gone since it has been so long. So those ratings always go down, such as Inuyasha and DBZ for me. I don't do it to hold up credibility at all though, it's more of an OCD thing if anything lol :x

@Tiago97: You're right, I should have specified ratings in the title. I did however specify ratings multiple times in the OP. So if they read that, they would instantly know what I was talking about.
Mar 7, 2012 12:19 PM

Jan 2011
I update once per day...mainly in the morning. That's because I watch new episodes at night before sleeping
Mar 7, 2012 12:21 PM

Dec 2010
Maybe this topic can turn into my own little personal experiment to see how many people actually read the OP of a thread.

Turns out not very many.
Mar 7, 2012 12:25 PM

Jan 2012
I update it quite often, when I start an anime I add it to Currently Watching straight away, when I'm done watching a few episodes I also immediately update them.

As for the ratings, I don't change them that much, I rate airing anime by episode and finished ones after I completed them, usually by how much I enjoyed the anime and then comes the characters, art and storyline.
VincentSMar 7, 2012 12:35 PM
Mar 7, 2012 12:26 PM

Dec 2010
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

oh man this is too fucking good

please, continue
Mar 7, 2012 12:41 PM

Aug 2011
Legendre said:
You're right, I should have specified ratings in the title. I did however specify ratings multiple times in the OP. So if they read that, they would instantly know what I was talking about.

Exactly.
But I guess I'll just start following this thread as an experiment too.
So don't even think about changing the title. :>
Mar 7, 2012 4:04 PM

Dec 2010
Tiago97 said:
Legendre said:
You're right, I should have specified ratings in the title. I did however specify ratings multiple times in the OP. So if they read that, they would instantly know what I was talking about.

Exactly.
But I guess I'll just start following this thread as an experiment too.
So don't even think about changing the title. :>

Haha I think the experiment has already been proven time and time again though, and I guess it won't ever change. Some people take the time to read the OP, others don't. Oh well.

Sorry, but I had to change the title :P Since I actually was enjoying some of the responses about whether or not people change their ratings, how often they do it, and the reason behind it! :D
Mar 7, 2012 4:13 PM

Oct 2011
yup.. sometimes i rate an anime/manga the moment i finish/catch up and in the fanboy moment tend 2 rate in that atmosphere.. but overtime i may reconsider or leave it as it is..
Mar 7, 2012 4:21 PM

Nov 2011
I do that all the time.
Mar 7, 2012 4:28 PM
Oct 2010
I rate subjectively and I start rating as I watch and sometimes after completion. I also tend to be indecisive, so some anime's rating changes from time to time and ratings change as I watch more anime, as well (usually drops).
Mar 7, 2012 4:48 PM

Oct 2010
I don't. As they are separated experiences, sometimes by months or even years, I don't feel it is fair to judge the anime I watched based on what I watch now. The problem I find with this practice, mainly, is that, as I watch stuff, my criterion develops, but to know how does that affect my view on something I need to experience it. Otherwise I feel it's rating blindly and based on an unfair comparative judgement, as my fond memories of a show that I watched two years ago are not as strong as the ones from last week's view.

In fact, my experience with rewatch has actually come to reinforce the rating in most of the cases. And in some of them I had the feeling that I would like them less, and in the end it happened the exact contrary. It's for cases like these why I don't feel it's really reliable to update ratings quite often.
jal90Mar 7, 2012 5:00 PM
Mar 7, 2012 4:57 PM

Jan 2011
Yes I've changed my score before when I felt that I was being either too unfair or too nice when I remembered certain parts doesn't happen often though.
Mar 7, 2012 5:16 PM

May 2011
it may not be constantly. but every once in a while il change my ratings mainly because i often overlook certain things in anime and feel i need to adjust some scores. i find that my taste for some of the anime i watched earlier on i may have over rated by quite a little and ever since ive been explosed to some of the better anime ive changed how i look at some anime that i use to think was very good, but not so good now that my bar has been raised
Mar 7, 2012 7:31 PM

Mar 2009
Well not constantly, but sometimes I'll be cruising through my list and go "a 7? Why did I give it that?" and adjust accordingly, but it's usually not something I'm constantly thinking about it or anything (at most, I might reconsider a rating up to a week after I finish the series, and in order to prevent me from suddenly needing to change, I tend to wait at least 24 hours before deciding upon an initial rating). Still, it's not set in stone, if I think something is wrong, I'll change it.
Mar 9, 2012 10:49 PM

May 2009
I might, if I even care and I had 5 completed anime. However, with the list that I have now, I've come to realize that life is too precious to be OCD about numbers. By now, I devote my leisure time to enjoyment and engage in activities that would have that desired result. Watching anime with the rating reflecting how much my time has been pleasurably spent, is one. Obsessing about a rating is not.

10 for me represents time very well spent. Time I don't regret spending. The anime that has this rating will not fail to entertain me when I rewatch it again. A '10' anime for me will always be rewatched, and I'd rather rewatch my 10s (any one of them) than go over my list to re-rate.
Mar 9, 2012 10:51 PM

Dec 2010
Well that is an interesting way of doing things. To no surprise, I see that you have a lot of 10's :P
Mar 9, 2012 11:05 PM

May 2009
I watch anime to be entertained. I watch anime expecting to be entertained. I give the anime all the leeway to entertain me. It's no surprise I still watch anime.

Otherwise, if the magic isn't there anymore; I'll dump anime
Mar 9, 2012 11:47 PM

Nov 2011
Legendre said:
Hey everyone! Simple question really: Do you update your ratings on your anime list based on what you have seen, and how they compare? (Didn't see another topic like this so I hope one hasn't been created recently)

I know for me personally, I am always scrolling through my completed list and changing certain ratings after I have had a couple of weeks to give it some thought. If I watch an anime that was truly amazing, it makes me rethink my opinions on an anime series that I gave the same rating, but wasn't quite as good. Does the same go for you? I wonder if there are any of you that rate a show right after you watch it and keep it that way no matter what. As an example, I used to have Trigun as a 10, but the more anime that I watched, the more I realized that it didn't deserve a 10 (in my opinion) due to a few minor flaws.

This ties in with a question of whether or not you subjective or objective when rating an anime on your list. I try to be as objective as I can when rating the anime I watch on my list, so I try to wait at least a couple of days before giving it a score.

Anyway I was curious about this because I am one who loves to listen to other peoples opinions. Those opinions sometimes change my own and so I often re-score anime on my list. I was wondering if the same can be said about you?

I totally do this too. I have found that people on here give you crap for it though- Like, you just finish a series and you're so elated with it that you give it a 9 or 10, but then you think back on it and go "Ehh well compared to this..."

I also do the reverse. I'll use one of my own examples.
I watched Oban Star Racers, and I thought it was the epitome of awesome and perfect (I still do.), and I was very sad when I finished it (gave it a 10, it's one of my favorite series ever now. <3) I hopped around to find something similar and ended up watching Xam'd. It took me forever to finished Xam'd, because I was still running off my high standards set by Oban Star Racers. Eventually I finished and was initially going to give it a 7. I realized pretty quick it deserved higher than that and gave it an 8.
After a month of so of mulling it over, I realized Xam'd was a damn good series that just had the misfortune of me watching it right after something that appealed to me in every aspect possible and ended up giving it a 9 after all.

So yeah, I totally do the same thing. =)

Edit: I also have a tendancy to go back and just rework my list by comparing series to others. When I first rate them, I usually just throw them on my list to put it there before I forget (talking about series I may have watched years ago), and before I get a chance to think about it, people on say the "Rate my list" thread throw a huge fit. Hahaha.
Mar 10, 2012 12:14 AM

Feb 2012
Hehehe i just did like 5 minutes ago but anyway to answer you're question Yes i do i'm not so worried about them though and i might give a good bit of shows a 10 but that's because i really like them i could focus on all their flaws and give them lower scores but i prefer to focus on the good things instead so i may give them a little higher score then they deserve but i like it that way.
Mar 10, 2012 2:47 AM

Jan 2012
i update as i finish watching it.
i wish i had more time to add all the animes that i watched though.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Mar 10, 2012 4:27 AM

Oct 2011
I change ratings if I change my opinion on it
Mar 10, 2012 4:54 AM

Dec 2011
Yeah, I did after I watched Steins;Gate. The initial excitement made me mark down pretty much everything else in comparison, but I readjusted most of them eventually. Code Geass, I suppose, but I'm considering rewatching it, so I don't know if I'll count that yet.

On the other hand, I've done the opposite a few times, Baccano and Disappearance were both a 9 for a while, then I considered how well they'd stood up in my memory compared to other shows and couldn't help but give them 10s on second consideration.
Mar 10, 2012 6:32 AM

Aug 2011
xKitEx said:
I change ratings if I change my opinion on it

Mar 10, 2012 7:12 AM

Sep 2010
Yea, I changed them based on how well I remember the impact of the anime on me, usually when I love something I give it a 10 but after a while I lose interest and give it a lower rating based on how I remember the story, characters and ending.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime carried by Animation ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - Yesterday

60 by nishant0 »»
8 seconds ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Gashadokur0 - Jun 23

187 by Nyron »»
2 minutes ago

» If you were asked to briefly describe Japan's popular animation studios, how would you do it?

Swyzen - 4 hours ago

6 by IdeDial »»
7 minutes ago

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores

Kimo45 - Yesterday

39 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9168 by Kenny_Stryker »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.