Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2012 8:21 AM
Nov 2011
The ending is the way it is because there's supposed to be a second season. After having read ahead in the manga, it's easy to see they were following it.

The manga begins to alternate between two timelines somewhat, a past/present (or if you prefer, present/future) thing. You're left to infer what has happened to a few of the characters, the bands, etc. So to answer your question, yes, the manga does the same timeline thing.

Edit: my bad I misread your post that you wanted spoilers, rather than the reverse. Oh well, just don't click on the button.

I'm going to provide a few manga details in the spoiler tag.

CrazielFeb 2, 2012 8:32 AM
Feb 4, 2012 4:14 AM
Dec 2010
@craziel

thank you for answering my question. im kind of debating on reading the manga or not since im always hearing of a cliffhanger in the most recent chapter.......i would definitely read it if she were to come back and finish the series
Mar 18, 2012 11:22 PM

Nov 2011
This by no shadow of a fucking doubt one of my favorite music themed series. Now, to read the manga.
Mar 19, 2012 11:30 PM

Sep 2011
This is the first time I'm going to actually pick up the Manga for a completed series just to find out what happened after.
Mar 23, 2012 1:46 PM
Nov 2011
OriginANIME said:
This is the first time I'm going to actually pick up the Manga for a completed series just to find out what happened after.

Yeah there's only one minor problem with that.. the manga isn't finished, and probably never will. The mangaka was hospitalized two years ago for a full year, has been released, but hasn't picked up a pen since.
Apr 8, 2012 3:03 PM

Sep 2011
I don't know wether the producers picked a bad chapter to end the show or if they simply did a horrible job at the script writing but this was one of the weirdest open endings I've ever seen. I've nothing against such endings but HERE there are way too many questions thrown at the viewer.

8/10 for an overall awesome drama series when you leave out that final episode.

Craziel said:
Yeah there's only one minor problem with that.. the manga isn't finished, and probably never will. The mangaka was hospitalized two years ago for a full year, has been released, but hasn't picked up a pen since.

So it's not even worth it to continue with the manga. Too bad...
Apr 12, 2012 8:03 AM

Mar 2010
I give it a 10/10 eventhough I wished nobuo would end up with nana ... and the ending could have been better

but the ending is bad cause the one who made the manga died or something happened im not sure yet which is why so its fine with me I enjoyed it to the fullest was completly drawn into this anime
May 3, 2012 1:34 PM

Aug 2010
Great show I was really addicted after episode 10, and just marathoned it. Nobu is my favorite character hands down.

Overall 9/10. Time to read the manga
May 12, 2012 3:26 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm, I guess they ended it with room for a second season. It seems like Hachi x Takumi might not work out after all after looking at the last episode. =P

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
May 20, 2012 6:26 PM

Mar 2011
Didn't end how I would have liked it to end, but the series kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and it looks like in the end Hachi was happy and surrounded by the people she cares about. I want to give it a 9.5 because 9 is too low, and 10 is too high. It would have been a 10 if Hachi had ended up with Nobu.

Oh well: 9/10
May 25, 2012 1:52 PM
Mar 2010
I absolutely HATE how it had to be this series that the mangaka got sick. I really wish that one day she'll just pick up the pen again and complete this show completely because I'm in dire need to know what happens next. Yaya, I can read the manga, but only up to a certain point :(.

This episode always makes me cry. It's not sad in the way that, lets see, AnoHana is sad, but it's sad in a unresolved way. Nana's obviously been missing for a while, and the last episode makes so many loose ends. I've watched some incomplete anime, but I've never been more interested to know how it'd finish. I dearly hope that she picks up a pen again and completes it! I'm dying here. And I hope eventually they pull an Inuyasha and decide to finish up the anime years later, lol. Only then will I be satisfied.

I rated this back in October 2011 (when I originally finished it), and my rating stays the same: 8/10. Ughhhhh, I need moar!

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Jun 2, 2012 11:32 PM

Jul 2010
Wow. That was so beautiful. I just feel like letting the episode resonate in my mind. So I'm just sitting still in the dark, and it feels wonderful. Nana was such an eye-opening series. I'm so happy that I watched it.

The end was sad. I was expecting it. The flash-forward in the beginning drenched the whole episode in sadness, as Nana wasn't there. I have no idea why she wasn't there, but she must be in a period of isolation, where she doesn't want to come out of. Ren? Not sure. Satsuki (WHY NOT SACHIKO?!) is so cute :)

Nobu and Nana... most of the tension has gone but they're still very sad about their ending. I'm sure their feelings of love have dried up, but they still feel a connection to it, obviously.

I'm so satisfied it hurts. I love Nana. And I will definitely be reading the manga to see the real resolution.

I wanted to see a bit more Takumi though. I like his and Nana's relationship, and I wanted to see where it had gone after 6 years.

10/10 --- And going on my favorite anime list, which I almost never change..
I don't know much to say. I'm just in awe at the originality and beauty of NANA :)
Jun 7, 2012 12:08 PM

Oct 2009
So confusing.
Jun 11, 2012 5:16 AM

Jan 2012
ashllee said:
beautiful beautiful beautiful !!! <3
and nyaa all this talk about a second season has gotten me excited.
but omg..
i literally held my breath when Nobu went for the door.
i dont remember breathing at all for most of that episode!
i cried with Nobu too <3 =[
as for what everyones been discussing...im still unsure of who i think the father is...that flashback thing Hachi had of her and Nana in the bath made me think Satsuki is Nobu's but all logical reasons point to Takumi...i guess i just don't want it to be his.
arr my heart wont slow down!
guess i too will start reading the manga now =]
and wow how different did Shin look in the future thing?! wow!

[2]
My heart completly breaked!
MVBDXJun 11, 2012 5:20 AM
Jun 19, 2012 11:16 PM

Dec 2009
Wow, it saddens me to think that the ending left so many questions unanswered and that the manga hasn't been finished, I haven't read it but I guess that could mean that there aren't official answers to some things yet...
However I really loved this anime and I'm not gonna lie, I was in tears this entire last episode, and even though I enjoy anime I have rarely found an anime that has moved me this much. I loved every minute of it. I would give it a 9 because of the open ending, but I think I'll just go for the 10 instead.
Aug 7, 2012 11:46 PM

Aug 2010
Well, Hachi's decisions still annoy me to the very end but at least that's close to reality. I would've preferred a little bit more of music focus but well I got Beck for that.
Sep 16, 2012 10:57 AM

Jul 2012
Wow alright. I stayed up until 5 so I finished the last four episodes. :)

My final rating is 8/10.
My first impression was a 5.5/10 and my last impression was 7/10. In the middle, it was near a 9/10 but not quite. What a great series, even if it had its flaws. Definitely following the manga now.
Jan 18, 2013 6:43 PM
Mar 2012
wow.... the ending definitely left alot of questions... but that's what the manga is for right? *sigh*
It was kinda sad when they gave us a glimpse of the future and BLAST and hachi were meeting up without NANA. Even so, it was a realistic way to end things I guess.. 10/10! Also I never really put my input on Takumi! Takumi is an OK guy, sometimes but in the end, you'd want somebody like Nobuo. Say what you want but he is just so attractive to me! I LUV Nobu! <3

Oh and I also have a new character to add to my favorites list

Oh and P.s for future readers, don't skip this anime cuz it will be one of the most realistic animes you'll ever watch! :D
Feb 17, 2013 7:08 AM

Jan 2012
Well, I was expecting this kind of ending. Only thing that got to me was why Nana wasn't there. Anyway, at first a thought the show was simply incredible, probably even more than half through the show I still thought that, but from the point where Hachi became pregnant, for me the show started going downhill in quality. In any case, I'm not into dramas and stuff, but I have to say the show really got my attention and I was very interested. It was a good watch.

Mar 8, 2013 11:51 PM
Mar 2013
I'm just sad that it's on hold. I really hope Ai Yazawa will find it in her to finish it. I started watching NANA when I was 17. It is such an amazing manga and anime. It's about hardships, love, life and trying to follow your dreams. Many people can relate to NANA, because it is very realistic. It's not sugarcoated, because life will not always be unicorns and rainbows. Life is hard and we all have to find our own way of living it. Recently, I've found myself starting to watch it again. I haven't read the manga yet, but every time I watch NANA I fall even more in love with it! The characters go through a lot and it makes you feel for them. The soundtrack is truly amazing, the songs fit perfectly with every situation going on. They make you feel sad, happy and you find yourself rooting for your favorite characters along the way. I hope Hachi will end up with Nobu. I absolutely love Shin with Reira. (SPOILERS) & even though I haven't read the manga, I've found out that Ren died in the last chapter posted. I would love for NANA to be with Yasu, because he's been there for her through thick and thin. As for Takumi he can just go somewhere. I mean I know you've had a tough childhood, but that gives you no reason to treat other people like shit. Well, I'm finished my little rant. As for those of you who aren't sure about NANA or just want something heartfelt to watch, well I recommend NANA! I give it a 10/10! This anime will always have a place in my heart! :)
beautifuldreamerMar 9, 2013 12:04 AM
May 22, 2013 5:14 PM

Jul 2010
I don't know what to think of the ending but this is one of the best romance anime's out there, hands down. It's very mature compared to the other more shoujo like series so it's a nice change, though a tad depressing at times.

I really prayed for Nobu and Nana to get togehter but this bittersweet ending seems more NANA like... but I would've loved it for the two of them to end up together.
And I just can't deal with the fact that Nana's not there in the future, many seem to speculate that she's dead and thought I don't want that to be true it wouldn't really surprise me since she's rather pessimistic and talks about death a few times, especially near the end of the serie... :(

Really touching yet sad ending to a great anime, I just hope that the mangaka will be able to complete the manga at some point in the future...
May 31, 2013 10:37 AM

Mar 2013
The ending was really sweet and depressing... I really want to know how it will end... :(
Jun 27, 2013 7:00 PM

Oct 2009
This anime is just sooo good.
I love it, it's just like life itself.
Not everytime will there be a happy ending.
For romance, this is pretty much one of the realest anime's to watch. Funny, I prayed for Nobu and Hachi to get back together but you never know..I just need to read the manga.
NO.
Jul 22, 2013 1:41 PM

Jun 2011
This was probably the best drama I've watched till date, but I would have probably liked it more if it had ended before Hachi got pregnant =/

xxshiawase said:
The ending was really sweet and depressing... I really want to know how it will end... :(

I was pretty curious as well, this link answers most of it =)
Jul 22, 2013 4:42 PM
Jan 2013
octal9 said:

it took me forever to finally watch this last episode as i never wanted to leave the wonderful world of nana

That. Totally.

Since watching it so many years after original run makes it hard to omit all the spoilers I was extremely scared of the what the ending will be. Honestly, I thought it would be more an open ending than it actually is.

True they don't say what exactly happened to Nana, but she and Ren are sure not dead, since they are waiting for him, and she clearly says "I don't want to depend on everybody again so I can't move from the place" plus with the Sid&Nancy symbolism they are either both dead or alive - everything, at least in the last episode, points out on them being alive and together.

Hachi is married with Takumi, unfortunately - two rings: marriage and engaging. But luckily have a good (speak naturally) but quite awkward (scene in the bathroom) relationship with Nobu.

It was very good, the lat episode, but just can't enjoy the part when their older - somehow that doesn't fit to the rest of the story - don't know why at this point.

What seems still to be a question is whet changed the relationship between Nana and Hachi, since when the met at the fireworks they spoke normally + Nana seems quite strong emotionally in this episode.

What happens to Shin and Reira?

To the episode itself: after watching the previous I was in constant fear if Hachi would go - so happy she did, but the moment when Nobu is about to open the doors - such a flow of emotions, and when she goes away - heartbroken.

It this episode was without the "6-years later" part I'd give it high rate as always, but it was quite unsatisfying this way.

BUT for the whole series it's 10/10, mainly because those characters are of the kind that still lives within you, what is extremely beautiful.
Jul 31, 2013 10:27 AM

Jul 2013
Whew! This was an emotionally intense anime. Characters were so real. I was on my way to giving it a 9, but the last 5 episodes or so slowed down, plus the open ending my final rating is 8/10. Not having my curiosity totally quenched, this might be the first manga I'll read just to find out what happened afterwards.
Sep 7, 2013 7:46 AM
Feb 2012
Well, the anime pretty much adapted half of the manga, so I can only judge so much before having read the whole manga. Nobu and Shin are awesome characters and my clear favourites, followed by Yasu and Nana. Hachiko I found to be really cute in the beginning but since the Nobu thing I despise her and Takumi.
The anime still managed to make me cry and tear up on many occasions. I'd probably rate it a straight 10. Now let's see what else happens in the story...
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Sep 10, 2013 8:10 PM
Jul 2013
This is not the end fellas! The manga continues, picking up at chapter 43 (volume 12 chapter 42 is where the anime ended)

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/nana/
Sep 24, 2013 10:45 PM

Jul 2009
if i ever write a story, it would be something like nana. the author till this day amazes at her ability to capture human emotions and the trials and tribulations of life. to make characters so flawed yet at the same time so relatable and likeable. i sometimes forget that they are characters and not friends. this anime is a masterpiece. i am deeply sadden that ill probably never get to see a season 2. 10/10.

edit: i just wanted to add that im glad hachiko stayed with her husband. she's married now, impregnated, so for god sakes just give up. nobu played the better person and im glad he did what he did. it was the right thing to do. hachiko now lives a happy life. sure she could live a 'better' one but it's a little too late now. if you can turn back the hands of time, you might as well say she should go with shinji as she said so herself that she's most comfortable with him. hachiko made the decision - the 'sacrifice' at the time - she went for the most practical route by being with takumi. he had the money to support her and her child and he wasnt too bad of a person in her eyes. i think it was junko who said it so rightly that you cant raise a children simply on love. romance - at least the fairy tales we've been brain washed from disney and the like - dont last forever. once you bring marriage and childrens involved, it becomes much more than 'love'. i give this show a 10/10 because even though the characters have made 'wrong' decisions, it was always backed by reasons and usually very good ones.

with all that said, like someone said above, i was afraid to see this last episode as now i too will have to depart from the nana world (until i read the manga that is!). but then ill have to go through the same pain after reading the last (literal cliff hanger) chapter. oh life is so cruel as depicted by nana.
KurogashiSep 25, 2013 8:08 AM
Oct 11, 2013 12:38 AM

Jul 2013
I feel like I was cheated. The ending didn't leave that big an impact (am I actually disappointed it wasn't tragic?).

As much as I wish, there isn't going to be a new season due to Ai Yazawa's health issues (more forum news). I don't want to read the manga because there hasn't been a chapter update for a couple years now.
Also, I found Hachi's girl gorgeous. I feel as if the anime is complete, I'm happy with Takumi.
anime-catOct 12, 2013 2:42 AM
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Oct 11, 2013 12:39 AM

Jun 2007
anime-cat said:
I feel like I was cheated. The ending didn't leave that big an impact (am I actually disappointed it wasn't tragic?). Also, I was told (by a troll on a forum) that Ren dies which is why Nana ran away so from episode 40 onwards, I was on the edge.
As much as I wish, there isn't going to be a new season due to Ai Yazawa's health issues (more forum news). I don't want to read the manga because there hasn't been a chapter update for a couple years now.
Also, I found Hachi's girl gorgeous. I feel as if the anime is complete, I'm happy with Takumi.

Please spoiler the part about Ren,
Oct 12, 2013 2:41 AM

Jul 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

Oh wowzer thank you, but why does Hachi (I think) say 'where's Ren'? That's why I assumed that it wasn't true. I don't think I'll be watching the new season if it ever comes out lol.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Oct 18, 2013 3:24 AM

Feb 2013
Wow.....I am in a terrible mood now....

That was....so....depressing...

Great anime, but fuck...that was seriously the worst thing that I could have watched at this moment.

Not sure how I'm rating this one. It's going to be a 9 or a 10, but that sort of no questions answered ending didn't help....
Oct 19, 2013 3:46 AM

Jul 2013
unmemorable_hero said:
Wow.....I am in a terrible mood now....

That was....so....depressing...

Great anime, but fuck...that was seriously the worst thing that I could have watched at this moment.

Not sure how I'm rating this one. It's going to be a 9 or a 10, but that sort of no questions answered ending didn't help....
I know how you feel. I hate to say this but this anime affected me so much that I dreamt happy endings to it for about a week.
- Doflamingo
Oct 24, 2013 2:26 PM

May 2011
i suggest you guys to read the manga if you want to know how the story developes after the final episode. yazawa sensei's health has already improved and she seems to be okay now... she even published a new "junko's room" chapter back in january, so we can assume she's going to continue the manga. but as for the anime... i think we'll have to wait until forever ;_;
Nov 2, 2013 5:35 PM
Aug 2012
Spoiler anime was better just no ending to it, manga was longer but still ongoing but by the looks of it it might take about forever but movie was not as good as anime or manga but had a ending not the best ending but still a ending just wish the anime had its own ending not chain down by the manga and plus takumi seriously i imagine wife and child abuse in the future...god nana(hachiko) has a bad luck...
Nov 4, 2013 1:59 AM

Sep 2013
I've seen far worse endings... it still gave some insight into the future. Despite not answering everything, it left a good amount up for your own interpretation... I'm happy it covered the fair amount that it did...

I was going to be really mad if she didn't end up with Takumi, but... that was still so so so so heartbreaking to watch...

this anime left a really big impact on me
Jan 26, 2014 3:05 PM

May 2012
So that's the end of Nana, a gloomy atmosphere around the whole end and well what I didn't expected at all was the beginning and the ending seeing shots of the future, while I did hoped to see a wedding or at least that she'd also meet Nobu but alas that won't be in this story!

Either way this was a pretty decent ending for the whole series and I do wonder what would happen to them them in the future but I doubt we'll see a continuation of this or at least not in anime form...

All by all a pretty decent romance anime with some great development! 9/10
Feb 17, 2014 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
TallonKarrde23 said:

Thanks a lot for quoting that massive spoiler!!
Mar 14, 2014 7:24 PM

Aug 2013
I love this show so much! Though the ending was quite dull...
I really hope that there is a chance for a second season! It would answer a lot of questions! But I guess the manga will do for now...
Mar 15, 2014 7:00 AM

Nov 2012
mich1ru said:
I love this show so much! Though the ending was quite dull...
I really hope that there is a chance for a second season! It would answer a lot of questions! But I guess the manga will do for now...

It was beautiful. you can sense the feeling of the "end" when you're watching it. i think it's my favorite episode out of all the show, Madhouse really knew when to stop.
Apr 10, 2014 2:48 AM

Aug 2013
No words can express how much I've fallen in love with this series. I...I just...

*slow clap*

I hope one day we'll get to see a second season.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 10, 2014 2:57 AM

Jun 2007
btym said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Thanks a lot for quoting that massive spoiler!!

No problem, given it's just a rumor he outright said he read from a random forum troll somewhere.

What next, should I spoiler saying that Nana is actually an alien and hachi is literally a dog that got magical powers to become human? #wow #woah
Apr 14, 2014 4:39 AM

Dec 2013
Ohhhhhhhhh..........fuck.

Well that ending was forecast from the start, so...But I have to say, I really liked how they handled it. My assumptions about the future were correct, so I'm glad I was spared the details in the manga--that would have been unbearable. As a whole, this is the most emotionally charged show I've ever seen.

Having just been to NY, it was eerie seeing the Hotel Chelsea after this series and knowing what happened (Sex Pistols singer) there.
DouluoJul 30, 2014 10:19 PM
Apr 25, 2014 11:37 AM

Sep 2010
Gosh I really hated the ending, and just like I predicted, the manga is even more depressing >.< I'm so not reading it, I can't get over Ren :(
Jun 8, 2014 10:11 AM

Jan 2014
I hate when a show like this comes to an end... Why did I have to watch the last
episode...??? It's freaking perfect! I so want to watch the movie now!! Can't get
this show out of my head anymore ^_________________^ The second season?
That would be simply the best thing ever !!! n_______________n I'll now pick up
the manga and read the hell out of it. They sure know how to attract readers. :S
Jun 24, 2014 1:37 AM

Jan 2013
Alas, another tragedy(lol) for a Anime-strictly person. I can't immerse myself with still pictures, it wouldn't do my feels any justice lol. I knew before I started the anime that it wouldn't end fully since the creator fell sick and never resumed. Oh well.

NANA, was a very special anime. I'm glad they had NANA in Golden Time. I could imagine how I'd react to that if I had watched this anime first...

If we ever got another season years later, may we not burst into tears immediately and such lol.
"Say, Nana... Do you remember the first time we met?"
Please send me a message/profile comment since I will most likely not check my forum posts. Thank you.
Jun 25, 2014 5:04 PM

Jan 2014
Wonderful! I wish it didnt end :(
Jul 6, 2014 8:01 PM
Jun 2014
burnttoast said:
Does anyone know what Rens addiction is? Drugs? They said in 46 or 47 (i forget which =x) that if people knew of his addiction the band would be suspended.

In regards to the events that happen in 47, I think Nana is alive and is just in hiding. I the beginning of the episode she says that she is afraid to meet with everyone again for fear that she will depend on them again.

I'm glad they are going to make a second season, but I wish they didn't end this one with such a confusing ending.
I thought they said condition... Not addiction but I could be wrong.
Jul 10, 2014 11:46 AM

Jul 2013
Ugh... I hate it when there's shows that involves with the "read the manga ending." Or I have to spend another time digging into the manga version which surprisingly I started.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NANA Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kappaka - Nov 19, 2008

70 by Commandtwt »»
Sep 15, 8:00 AM

» Who is the worst character in Nana? ( 1 2 )

Yuki_Nonaka - Feb 10, 2017

71 by Raiseii »»
Sep 13, 12:19 PM

» So I just finished the Nana anime…

Krystopher - Aug 24

21 by falko92 »»
Sep 9, 3:56 PM

Poll: » NANA Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - May 16, 2008

77 by ann_sordo »»
Sep 7, 11:00 AM

Poll: » NANA Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Raitou- - Aug 12, 2008

71 by iggggi »»
Aug 30, 1:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.