Forum Settings
Forums

"This Anime Was Fkin Amazing, But I Wouldn't Watch It Again."

New
Nov 26, 2011 2:05 AM

Sep 2011
I have no clue if this topic has been made already, but here we go! (If it was, feel free to lock this thread mods!)

So basically name some anime you have watched, and really enjoyed, but wouldn't want to watch it again.

2 anime from the top of my head are Clannad After Story and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Both are in my top 10, but I wouldn't want to watch them again. I just feel it wouldn't be the same... if I did. =s
funkotakuMay 29, 2012 1:43 PM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 26, 2011 2:09 AM

Aug 2011
Clannad: After Story, it just wouldn't be the same second time around.

Air, same as above.
Nov 26, 2011 2:35 AM
Jun 2010
Clannad definitely, watching it once was good enough for me.
Nov 26, 2011 2:40 AM

Sep 2009
Grave of the Fireflies.

Generally, if something isn't good the second time around it is because the story relies too heavily on plot twists in order to hold the viewers attention. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing- I'd much rather watch something that manages to still be special after multiple viewings.

Or even better, something that improves... like Only Yesterday.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Nov 26, 2011 2:59 AM

Sep 2011
AnnoKano said:
Personally, I don't see this as a good thing- I'd much rather watch something that manages to still be special after multiple viewings.

I wouldn't really call it a bad thing either. I cant really think of the right words to say at the moment, but I feel it could be a good thing if thought about correctly.
Nov 26, 2011 3:05 AM

Nov 2011
probably shuffle
Tea and bickies with the Bold and the Beautiful
Nov 26, 2011 3:15 AM

Sep 2011
OriginANIME said:
AnnoKano said:
Personally, I don't see this as a good thing- I'd much rather watch something that manages to still be special after multiple viewings.

I wouldn't really call it a bad thing either. I cant really think of the right words to say at the moment, but I feel it could be a good thing if thought about correctly.

It's like a once in a lifetime thing, In which you can only get as the Anime unfolds. But once you see/know what happens it losses it's specialness even though it was amazing.
(I'm a bit tired so it might not make sense)
Nov 26, 2011 3:22 AM

Sep 2011
Rawrol said:
OriginANIME said:
AnnoKano said:

It's like a once in a lifetime thing, In which you can only get as the Anime unfolds. But once you see/know what happens it losses it's specialness even though it was amazing.
(I'm a bit tired so it might not make sense)

Yeah it is almost 4 AM for me right now that's why I couldn't think of the right words to say. You basically said everything I wanted to say though, so its all good! :D
funkotakuNov 26, 2011 3:26 AM
Nov 26, 2011 3:24 AM

Jun 2009
Grave of the Fireflies!

Absolute masterpiece, I even bought the DVD...and never watched it. And probably will never watch it.
Nov 26, 2011 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
Nana, Clannad, Kanon, Air, Beck, Honey & Clover etc. All very good, but personally I have little desire to rewatch Slice of Life Dramas.
Nov 26, 2011 6:19 AM
Feb 2011
Xam'd: Lost Memories
Nov 26, 2011 7:01 AM

Nov 2007
Grave of the Fireflies...depressing, but a must watch at least once.
Nov 26, 2011 7:17 AM

Aug 2010
Almost everything I watch and consider good, really. It's only shows that I really love like Baccano or Kino's Journey that I ever go back to.
Nov 26, 2011 7:20 AM

Mar 2011
Most anime with good stories can't be watched twice =/, for me anyway
Courtesy of Paul
Nov 26, 2011 9:08 AM

Aug 2011
Too be honest I don't generally rewatch shows since I want to see all the ones I have not. Though the ones I do rewatch are Code Geass and Clannad. Ones I wouldn't rewatch even though it was epic is Gundam Seed because the whole series is 100 episodes. Too long of a show to rewatch.
Nov 26, 2011 9:11 AM
Mar 2011
none if theres an open window tp rewatch somthing i will re watch
DateYutakaNov 26, 2011 9:18 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 26, 2011 9:14 AM

Apr 2008
I usually don't rewatch anime to begin with unless they're movies or if I'm watching something at my school's anime club. For some reason, I feel like I'm being held back from finding more things to watch if I rewatch a series. I only have so much time to do things.
Nov 26, 2011 9:35 AM

Dec 2009
No, I could rewatch them when it's been long enough that I haven't seen it, depending on how much I remember,
the less I remember, the more I'm gonna watch it.

If I rewatch it a 3rd time, it's because it's that good. Or for the future,
I'm pretty much going to rewatch all of the animes I've watched to make my opinion and review on them.

Because I'm making a blog in the future, about my opinion on all the anime/manga I've watched.
Nov 26, 2011 9:36 AM

Mar 2011
I could watch Clannad again, but not Clannad:AS.
*la tear*
Nov 26, 2011 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
Code Geass.... instead of watching it again, i'll be cursing n crying all the time..

Nov 26, 2011 9:46 AM

Oct 2011
Gonna go with Shuffle. Now that I know who he ends up with all the flirting will seem stupid XD
And also Code Geass because I know whats gonna happen and who wins. Plus I'll have to re-live heart-breaking moments T.T
Nov 26, 2011 9:55 AM

May 2007
One I am surprised I am not seeing on here is Death Note.

Also for me, Strain Strategic Armored Infantry and while I haven't seen the movies yet, I think Eden of the East is going to be the same way.
My anime list
Nov 26, 2011 10:01 AM

Oct 2011
mitamaking said:

......I think Eden of the East is going to be the same way.

I would definitely re-watch Death Note. In fact I have plently of times. Every time I watch it catch something new that I didnt see the first time.
And as for Eden of the East: It was amazing but your right, I probally couldnt watch it again :/
Nov 26, 2011 10:04 AM

Jun 2010
Death Note isn't as good the second time around, at least IMO. Its so much based in suspense that it can't give you the same emotional catharsis if you already know what is coming.
Nov 26, 2011 10:12 AM

Aug 2011
Beck
mellors said:
I have little desire to rewatch Slice of Life Dramas.
Pretty much.
The manga of Beck was much better, though. Well, I didn't read the beginning, but still...
Nov 26, 2011 10:17 AM

May 2010
Tragedies, because the effect is usually lost the second time around. For example Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom.
Slice of Life anime, because it's usually hard watching them the first time around as it is. For example Clannad.

The only genres I usually find easy to watch more than once are either comedies or action anime.
Nov 26, 2011 10:19 AM

Sep 2011
i dont rewatch anything unless they are comedies

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 26, 2011 10:29 AM

Oct 2011
The long stuffs

One Piece + Monster + Soul Eater
Nov 26, 2011 10:44 AM

Sep 2010
Almost every anime I watch haha. Unless it's a movie or an ova. I think the only anime I re-watched was K-ON and that's because the second time around I watched it with my friend.
Nov 26, 2011 10:53 AM

Sep 2011
mitamaking said:

I wouldn't mind watching Death Note a second time around to be honest.

Shima_XIX said:
Tragedies, because the effect is usually lost the second time around.

Yeah basically this, but it really depends for me. Some Animes just have a better rewatch value than others. To be honest, I wouldn't mind watching AnoHana again. Wouldn't say the same thing about Clannad After Story though.
Nov 26, 2011 11:08 AM

Oct 2008
Monster ( I would rather read the manga ), GTO, d.gray-man
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Nov 26, 2011 11:32 AM

Jun 2009
I'd say the mark of a truly "great" series is whether you want to re-watch it again or not. Seriously, most of my favorite series I've re-watched like Evangelion, Stand Alone Complex, Honey and Clover, etc.

That, or I pick up the manga and read that, an example being Maison Ikkoku. I get to re-experience the same story and add another manga to my list...and this kills two birds with one stone.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 26, 2011 11:41 AM

Dec 2010
grandy_UiD said:
Grave of the Fireflies!

Absolute masterpiece, I even bought the DVD...and never watched it. And probably will never watch it.

This.
Nov 26, 2011 11:50 AM

Oct 2010
AnnoKano said:
Grave of the Fireflies.

Generally, if something isn't good the second time around it is because the story relies too heavily on plot twists in order to hold the viewers attention. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing- I'd much rather watch something that manages to still be special after multiple viewings.

Or even better, something that improves... like Only Yesterday.

Some anime shows base a considerable amount of their quality on the impact they can create in an audience that is not used to this way of dealing with the topics present in the show, so they can be surprised.

I mean, I agree with your example of Grave of the fireflies; it's a tragedy that at the first time can touch you quite deeply, but in rewatch you know what happened and that emotional component is restricted because the shock value has decreased. I don't see that as a bad thing, it's just that some things are better enjoyed in a first view, as well as some others need second or even third views to start being understood, not to mention loving them.
Nov 26, 2011 11:53 AM

Aug 2011
jal90 said:
I mean, I agree with your example of Grave of the fireflies; it's a tragedy that at the first time can touch you quite deeply, but in rewatch you know what happened and that emotional component is restricted because the shock value has decreased. I don't see that as a bad thing, it's just that some things are better enjoyed in a first view, as well as some others need second or even third views to start being understood, not to mention loving them.

I believe shock value was decreased from the very beginning. You knew it was gonna happen, they basically showed it to you, and all the paths pointed at that conclusion. Still, I cried.
Tiago97Nov 26, 2011 12:05 PM
Nov 26, 2011 12:03 PM

Aug 2011
I agree with slice-of-life animes. Stuff like Clannad, and even Angel Beats, I can't bring myself to watch again. Although I am an HUGE anime re-watcher, I mostly re-watch more action oriented animes, like FMA Brotherhood.
Nov 26, 2011 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
Well...i generally don't rewatch all episodes of an anime but i see only the important moments of it.
Nov 26, 2011 12:14 PM

Oct 2010
Eh, I actually think slice-of-life animes can actually be good examples of shows that keep their qualities in future rewatch. As long as they are based on recognizing the environment and relationships of their characters and not so much on a chain of shocking events as other ones, I think they are able to resist many repeated viewings.

I mean, Azumanga Daioh for example is one of the shows I have rewatched the most and I still don't see any of its qualities decreased in any way. Also, I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop again -which in itself is a slice-of-life too- but can see a lot of potential in that sense. And outside of the anime context, there is the classic example of The Simpsons, that series that can be watched repeatedly and still make laugh.
Nov 26, 2011 12:27 PM

Jun 2009
jal90 said:

I mentioned Grave of the Fireflies, too but actually for a completely different reason. There was no shock value in it to begin with. The opening scene tells you what's going to happen. And that did not make it easier in the SLIGHTEST.
I meant I'm never gonna rewatch it (to be honest I did watch it two times) because I couldn't take the emotional torment again.
Nov 26, 2011 12:48 PM

Oct 2011
Code Geass and Monster.
Nov 26, 2011 2:46 PM

Aug 2009
I agree with about everyone on Clannad. I tried to watch it again, but it really wasn't the same. I also couldn't watch AnoHana again. Just... dat Menma. I actually had to watch Grave of the Fireflies twice to really appreciate the story. The first time I watched it, I thought it was sad, but I didn't cry. Second time around, though, bring on the waterworks.
Nov 26, 2011 3:11 PM

Jan 2008
TBH, I don't mind re-watching anything I scored high if I watch it on TV instead of the computer.
Nov 26, 2011 3:22 PM

Jul 2009
Grave of The Fireflies...
Sensitive subject, a nice story, very well written, visually lovely and from Studio Ghibli( known for quality) - but pure depression!
I can watch a gory slasher and not have it phase me, but deep rooted cycle-of-misery stuff unnerve me at times.

Nov 26, 2011 3:42 PM

Jul 2010
yjrHanma209x said:
probably shuffle

yup, probably this.

Nov 26, 2011 4:37 PM

Oct 2011
Definitely Clannad: After story. That's the one masterpiece I gave my 10 to, but I also hate it at the same time. ^^
Nov 26, 2011 5:55 PM

Mar 2010
Every romance. Since i watch it because '' omg, how/when those 2 will start dating '' or something like it, watching it again will not be good :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2011 6:02 PM
Feb 2011
hanasaku iroha, natsume, basically any really good slice of life
Nov 26, 2011 7:12 PM

Sep 2011
Animechamploo said:
hanasaku iroha, natsume, basically any really good slice of life

I was actually about to say Hanasaku Iroha at first but to be honest, I wouldn't mind watching it again. xD
Nov 26, 2011 7:33 PM

Nov 2010
Monster, Steins;Gate, and Shiki.
Nov 26, 2011 7:51 PM

May 2011
I will always rewatch something that was fkin amazing. ^^
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did I ever tell you what the definition of stupidity is?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

12 by mshfqtny »»
4 seconds ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

42 by Coaghim »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

39 by mshfqtny »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

tchitchouan - 2 hours ago

21 by animejas »»
5 minutes ago

» Name your two favorite anime from your 2 least favorite genres/themes, and two least favorite of your most favorite genres/themes

Daviljoe193 - Yesterday

29 by Tenderizer79 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.