Forum Settings
Forums

Name your two favorite anime from your 2 least favorite genres/themes, and two least favorite of your most favorite genres/themes

New
Apr 29, 6:39 AM

Dec 2021
Simple as. No explanation needed for any of your opinions, but you can include one if you want to.

Best of least favorite genresWorst of most favorite genres
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 29, 6:40 AM

Feb 2020
Best of least favorite genres:
Avant Garde: Yami Shibai

Worst of most favorite genres:
Slice of Life: One Room

SerafosApr 29, 7:53 AM
Apr 29, 6:47 AM

Sep 2016
ZarutakuMay 2, 11:14 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 29, 7:07 AM

Mar 2012
Least favorite genre:
BL : Uraboku
Ecchi: Sankarea

Favorite genre:
Horror: Boogiepop wa Warawanai
Mystery: Tantei wa Mou, Shindeiru (this anime is literally an insult in the name of mystery)
Apr 29, 7:11 AM

May 2021
Best of Least Favorite Genre:

• Ecchi: Prison School (7/10)
  • Harem: Rent a Girlfriend S1 (5/10)

Worst of Most Favorite Genre:

• Drama: Berserk (2016) / Golden Time (3/10)
  • Mystery: AD Police (5/10)
Apr 29, 7:40 AM

Aug 2021
Best of Least Favorite Genre:
Idk, I don't have a specific genre I hate

Worst of fav genre:
Ecchi: Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru (4/10)
Fantasy: Miira no Kaikata (4/10)
Both are the only animes I gave lower than a 5
Apr 29, 7:51 AM

May 2021
Best of least favorite genres
- Romance: Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
- Avant Garde: Perfect Blue

Worst of most favorite genres
- Action: Elfen Lied
- Psychological: 7 Seeds
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Apr 29, 8:05 AM
Oct 2019
Best of least favorite genre: delinquent

Rokudou no Onna-tachi 3/10

Worst of favorite genre: comedy

Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. 2nd Season 1/10
Apr 29, 8:08 AM

Oct 2019

(note that these are my favourites and least favourites at DOING THAT GENRE well, not my favourite shows that have that genre)

My two favourites is easy:

- Mystery: Pretty boys detective club
- thriller: Otherside Picnic

But least favourite is a bit harder cause I do like every genre.
Ignoring hentai cause it's not a real genere ( I don't dislike jacking off, it's just that most hentai have shit animation and doujins are superior)
But If I had to pick, it would probably be:

- Isekai: Sonny boy
- reincarnation: Death parade
(shut up, it counts)

which is a boring answer cause these are genres that most people complain about. but I do genuinely like every genre. even these two, there is nothing wrong about their core genre, it's just that most of the shows from these genres are shit.

APolygons2Apr 29, 9:13 AM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 29, 9:00 AM

Sep 2018
Best of least favorite genres (MALgraph weighted score)
Romance: Nana
Sci-Fi: Dennou Coil

Slice of Life: Mushishi
Sports: Ao Ashi (football anime will never be good until they'll go full 3DCG)
NirinboApr 29, 11:41 AM
Apr 29, 9:03 AM

Mar 2023
Best from my least favorites genres

- Idols: Full Moon o Sagashite and Idolmaster: Xenoglossia

- Sports: Hajime no Ippo and Kaleido Star

Worst from my favorites genres

- Psychological: Midori and Pupa

- Sci-Fi: Eureka Seven AO and Angel Links
Apr 29, 9:16 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to DigiCat
- Romance: Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
- Avant Garde: Perfect Blue

- Action: Elfen Lied
- Psychological: 7 Seeds
DigiCat said:
- Romance:

Why do you dislike romance?

It's such a none offensive genre. I have seen a lot of people that only watch action shows that tend to avoid romance, but I don't think that's you. so why do you dislike it?
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 29, 9:19 AM

Jul 2021

• GL - never watched any
  • Gourmet - Bartender

• Horror - Deadman Wonderland
  • Suspense - Mirai Nikki, maybe?
Apr 29, 9:23 AM

May 2021
Reply to APolygons2
DigiCat said:
- Romance:

Why do you dislike romance?

It's such a none offensive genre. I have seen a lot of people that only watch action shows that tend to avoid romance, but I don't think that's you. so why do you dislike it?
@APolygons2 Just never been the romantic type ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not really a dislike, i just tend to not enjoy them as much as other genres, and when there are romance anime i truely enjoy it tends to be for reasons other than romance
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Apr 29, 9:25 AM

Jun 2019
I'm mainly just going to stick with genres, lest it get too unwieldy. I'm not 100% sure what my top two favorite genres are as I have like 10 and don't rank them numerically, but probably Thriller and Slice of Life. My others are Drama, Romance, Horror, Historical, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure, Mystery, and Psychological. The same regarding my two least favorite genres. I have five main ones, but haven't up to now ranked them in order. I'll say probably Ecchi and Sports. My others are Comedy, Harem, and Hentai.

Best of Least Favorite Genres:

Ecchi - Kodomo no Jikan (8/10)
Sports - Hanebado! (7/10)

Worst of Most Favorite Genres:

Thriller - Satsuriku no Tenshi (5/10) (I have others with the same rating, but this would be my least favorite regardless of the ratings given)
Slice of Life - Either Taishou Otome Otogibanashi (5/10) or Elegant Youkai Apartment Life (6/10) - I gave the latter a higher rating, but may actually prefer the former enjoyment-wise

APolygons2 said:

I'll never understand why this series gets so much flak. It had numerous flaws like most anime do, but was a ray of hope and love letter for cosmic horror fans among modern anime viewers, of which I thought there'd be more of out there. Also one of the most unique isekai - at least out of all the newer post-2012/SAO isekai boom ones.
WatchTillTandavaApr 29, 9:35 AM
Apr 29, 9:48 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to WatchTillTandava
I'm mainly just going to stick with genres, lest it get too unwieldy. I'm not 100% sure what my top two favorite genres are as I have like 10 and don't rank them numerically, but probably Thriller and Slice of Life. My others are Drama, Romance, Horror, Historical, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure, Mystery, and Psychological. The same regarding my two least favorite genres. I have five main ones, but haven't up to now ranked them in order. I'll say probably Ecchi and Sports. My others are Comedy, Harem, and Hentai.

Best of Least Favorite Genres:

Ecchi - Kodomo no Jikan (8/10)
Sports - Hanebado! (7/10)

Worst of Most Favorite Genres:

Thriller - Satsuriku no Tenshi (5/10) (I have others with the same rating, but this would be my least favorite regardless of the ratings given)
Slice of Life - Either Taishou Otome Otogibanashi (5/10) or Elegant Youkai Apartment Life (6/10) - I gave the latter a higher rating, but may actually prefer the former enjoyment-wise

APolygons2 said:

I'll never understand why this series gets so much flak. It had numerous flaws like most anime do, but was a ray of hope and love letter for cosmic horror fans among modern anime viewers, of which I thought there'd be more of out there. Also one of the most unique isekai - at least out of all the newer post-2012/SAO isekai boom ones.
WatchTillTandava said:

I don't think it's the worst show I have seen. And it was definitely more unique than most other isekai.

I just think it made for the most boring thriller I have ever seen. Which Is why I put it as my least favourite thriller. It has horrible pacing, bad animation, goes nowhere, and gives the characters the biggest plot Armor I have ever seen in a thriller.

it's not the worst thing I have seen. It's just pretty bad.
Also available at:

Apr 29, 10:02 AM

Jun 2019
APolygons2 said:
I don't think it's the worst show I have seen. And it was definitely more unique than most other isekai.

I just think it made for the most boring thriller I have ever seen. Which Is why I put it as my least favourite thriller. It has horrible pacing, bad animation, goes nowhere, and gives the characters the biggest plot Armor I have ever seen in a thriller.

The pacing is rushed. My main problems with it are that the pacing is rushed, numerous explanations of unique phenomena and events were omitted as a result, the characterization of the two girls was on the weak side due to either rushing and omitting things or just weaker writing, and there is also a bizarre issue where some events in the series are out of order because the episodes were switched around so there are some plot continuity issues. But loved it apart from that.

I can see what you mean by it being bad as a thriller though. Thriller is my favorite genre alongside SoL and personally, I don't really think it should have the Thriller tag. I believe that it has Thriller, Fantasy, Adventure, and Mystery currently. And isekai as a theme. I feel that it should have horror instead and get rid of thriller, because it focuses more on horror atmosphere and imagery, as well as Slice of Lifey segments versus dedicated execution of a thriller-style conflict. And there is obviously some mystery and looming questions over their heads, but that can be said about a lot of shows which don't have the tag because the mystery isn't really central. It should probably just be Horror, Adventure, Fantasy, and Slice of Life.

Not sure what you're referring to with bad animation though. I didn't notice anything different in this respect compared to any other series with a similar art style from the past several years.
Apr 29, 10:14 AM

Oct 2019
APolygons2 said:

The pacing is rushed. My main problems with it are that the pacing is rushed, numerous explanations of unique phenomena and events were omitted as a result, the characterization of the two girls was on the weak side due to either rushing and omitting things or just weaker writing, and there is also a bizarre issue where some events in the series are out of order because the episodes were switched around so there are some plot continuity issues. But loved it apart from that.

I can see what you mean by it being bad as a thriller though. Thriller is my favorite genre alongside SoL and personally, I don't really think it should have the Thriller tag. I believe that it has Thriller, Fantasy, Adventure, and Mystery currently. And isekai as a theme. I feel that it should have horror instead and get rid of thriller, because it focuses more on horror atmosphere and imagery, as well as Slice of Lifey segments versus dedicated execution of a thriller-style conflict. And there is obviously some mystery and looming questions over their heads, but that can be said about a lot of shows which don't have the tag because the mystery isn't really central. It should probably just be Horror, Adventure, Fantasy, and Slice of Life.

Not sure what you're referring to with bad animation though. I didn't notice anything different in this respect compared to any other series with a similar art style from the past several years.
WatchTillTandava said:

really? that was one of my main issues with it, and the very thing that killed all the horror for me.

It's kind of hard to be scared, when the monster in question is made out of extremely out of place cgi, or has extremely limited movement. honestly lack of good animation was the biggest reason for why I didn't really feel the atmosphere either. The soundtrack being pretty forgettable definitely didn't help either.

The animation starts well enough. I actually really liked episode 1. but overall the way I would describe the animation is extremely inconsistent. It goes back and forth between being horrible, and being ok.

also, come on, there are plenty of shows similar to this that have amazing visuals. biggest example is probably heavenly delusions. It's also a mystery, thriller, survival, supernatural show that has 2 characters adventuring away, and fighting larger than life monsters, and not only it doesn't look back, it's one of the best looking shows of the past few years.

I just can't think of anything other than the design/idea of the world/monsters that I liked about it. It felt like it had a lot of great concepts, but that was about the only thing that I thought highly of about it.
Also available at:

Apr 29, 10:14 AM
Apr 2021
> Ecchi: Tonagura!
> Harem: High School DxD

> Music: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
> Mythology: Koori Zokusei Danshi to Cool na Douryou Joshi
Apr 29, 10:36 AM

Jun 2019
APolygons2 said:
really? that was one of my main issues with it, and the very thing that killed all the horror for me.

It's kind of hard to be scared, when the monster in question is made out of extremely out of place cgi, or has extremely limited movement. honestly lack of good animation was the biggest reason for why I didn't really feel the atmosphere either. The soundtrack being pretty forgettable definitely didn't help either.

The animation starts well enough. I actually really liked episode 1. but overall the way I would describe the animation is extremely inconsistent. It goes back and forth between being horrible, and being ok.

also, come on, there are plenty of shows similar to this that have amazing visuals. biggest example is probably heavenly delusions. It's also a mystery, thriller, survival, supernatural show that has 2 characters adventuring away, and fighting larger than life monsters, and not only it doesn't look back, it's one of the best looking shows of the past few years.

I just can't think of anything other than the design/idea of the world/monsters that I liked about it. It felt like it had a lot of great concepts, but that was about the only thing that I thought highly of about it.

The OST is what it was. There wasn't a single track which I thought was excellent to the point where either it significantly enhanced the weight and emotional intensity of the scene it was featured in or that I would listen to on its own outside of the context of watching the anime series, but honestly, that's most anime. The best OSTs from anime are my favorite music out of essentially everything in all mediums in life, but it's not like the majority have anywhere close to that level of godly epic OSTs which transfigure the individual scene and entire work they're in to such an extent. Most are just "okay" or "serviceable", like the OSTs in most television and film. That's not to say that Urasekai Picnic's is better than you said it is. Just a general comment about the reality of these things.

Since you mentioned out of place CGI specifically, I immediately thought of the only episode in which this came across as an issue to me. The one with the large-headed creatures chasing them, which was of course CGI and of course, like most CGI, pretty visually wonky and unattractive plus incongruent with the other characters and surrounding environment. I didn't watch Urasekai Picnic weekly when it was airing in the winter of 2021 season, but watched it last year. However, I read many of the discussions and comments which were mostly posted about it closer to the time it aired, on MAL and elsewhere, as I often do for anime I watch however long after the fact. And that one episode with those creatures definitely seemed to be the source of biggest complaints. I didn't care for the look either, but since it was only one episode and not the whole series, it's even too minor to me to list as a complaint about the series (as, for example, I did for the rushed pacing and flawed characterization aspects). I don't recall seeing many complaints about the animation apart from that.

And Tengoku Daimakyou?! Yes, we are both fans of that series. It was pretty handily my favorite series of 2023 and one of the series from the 2020s in general I'm most interested in seeing continued. But it's a bit of an unfair example as that seems like the exception rather than the rule. The first episode was downright movie quality visually and even the rest of the season/series after that was still a cut above to most things (again, just comparing those with a similar enough art style released in a similar enough timeframe). Urasekai Picnic by comparison is the average standard.
Apr 29, 12:38 PM

Oct 2019
APolygons2 said:

The OST is what it was. There wasn't a single track which I thought was excellent to the point where either it significantly enhanced the weight and emotional intensity of the scene it was featured in or that I would listen to on its own outside of the context of watching the anime series, but honestly, that's most anime. The best OSTs from anime are my favorite music out of essentially everything in all mediums in life, but it's not like the majority have anywhere close to that level of godly epic OSTs which transfigure the individual scene and entire work they're in to such an extent. Most are just "okay" or "serviceable", like the OSTs in most television and film. That's not to say that Urasekai Picnic's is better than you said it is. Just a general comment about the reality of these things.

Since you mentioned out of place CGI specifically, I immediately thought of the only episode in which this came across as an issue to me. The one with the large-headed creatures chasing them, which was of course CGI and of course, like most CGI, pretty visually wonky and unattractive plus incongruent with the other characters and surrounding environment. I didn't watch Urasekai Picnic weekly when it was airing in the winter of 2021 season, but watched it last year. However, I read many of the discussions and comments which were mostly posted about it closer to the time it aired, on MAL and elsewhere, as I often do for anime I watch however long after the fact. And that one episode with those creatures definitely seemed to be the source of biggest complaints. I didn't care for the look either, but since it was only one episode and not the whole series, it's even too minor to me to list as a complaint about the series (as, for example, I did for the rushed pacing and flawed characterization aspects). I don't recall seeing many complaints about the animation apart from that.

And Tengoku Daimakyou?! Yes, we are both fans of that series. It was pretty handily my favorite series of 2023 and one of the series from the 2020s in general I'm most interested in seeing continued. But it's a bit of an unfair example as that seems like the exception rather than the rule. The first episode was downright movie quality visually and even the rest of the season/series after that was still a cut above to most things (again, just comparing those with a similar enough art style released in a similar enough timeframe). Urasekai Picnic by comparison is the average standard.
@WatchTillTandava I beg the differ, I think there are a lot of anime with great osts.

And if an ost is forgettable, it just means its somehwere between a 5-3/10.

But that aside, yes the cgi was only 1 episode but in general the movement of anything was very limited.

I remember a certain chase scene in one of the episodes being specially wonky.

you may be right that your average seasonal anime don't look any better than this. but the thing is that your average seasonal anime aren't really a horror thriller that needs its atmoshpere or the monsters being scary to work.

Heavenly delusions is the exception, bit shows like this kinda need to be to work.

an sol can get away with average visuals. odd taxi is absolutely not affected by the animation just being ok.

but this being as good as an average seasonal anime, isn't enough.

Think about it like this, if the pacing is bad, and the characters are not that great.

and the plot pretty much goes nowhere by the end.

and the animation and music aren't anything better than "average" at best, so they can't really create that good of atmosphere or make the monsters scary.

then what is there left to make the show "good"?.

like when your best deffense against my complaints is "its not really worse than the average anime", and you agree on some of the issues, its not really a good show is it?

like its not terrible, but.... it doesn't exactly do anything "well".
Also available at:

Apr 29, 2:37 PM

May 2019
Shonen: Saint Seiya

Ecchi: Abunai Sisters
Apr 29, 4:32 PM

May 2022
This prompt made my brain fry but here i go:

Favorite anime from least favorite genre:
Ecchi: Monogatari Series because of fucking course monogatari is peak/ Interspecies Reviewers (funny asf)
Sports (sports anime are boring. Deal with it): none

Least favorite anime from favorite genre:
idk

Apr 30, 2:49 AM

Sep 2016
trinitroglycerin said:
Ecchi: Monogatari Series
Is it really ecchi overall? Most of the Monogatari entries don't have the ecchi tag, but I know MAL tagging isn't always trustworthy.

trinitroglycerin said:
I agree, most sports anime are like sleeping pills, but there are few excellent outliers such as Ping Pong the Animation.
Apr 30, 3:42 AM

May 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
trinitroglycerin said:
Ecchi: Monogatari Series
Is it really ecchi overall? Most of the Monogatari entries don't have the ecchi tag, but I know MAL tagging isn't always trustworthy.

trinitroglycerin said:
I agree, most sports anime are like sleeping pills, but there are few excellent outliers such as Ping Pong the Animation.
@Zarutaku Have you even watched it lol? I can't post clips on here because i don't want to pass as a fuckin weirdo but it's got some extreme ecchi scenes such as the iconic toothbrushing episode. The MC is a degenerate through and through. there are severall scenes were he takes his sister's clothes off and sexually assault them. You must be really dedicated to ignore the weird stuff if you want to enjoy Monogatari but it's still peak.

Also, i've never watch Ping Pont the animation but it's probably the one i'd be the most interested to start so i'll probably give it a shot when i'm done with my ptw list.
Apr 30, 3:42 AM

May 2022
Can't fucking believe someone is asking if the Monogatari Series are ecchi. Made my day
Apr 30, 4:53 AM

Sep 2016
trinitroglycerin said:
Have you even watched it lol?
Not yet, which is why I asked. I tend to avoid big franchises, but I'm more inclined to watch it now.

trinitroglycerin said:
Can't fucking believe someone is asking if the Monogatari Series are ecchi.
Would be interesting to know why MAL and even Anilist seemingly don't label them correctly, despite Monogatari being so huge.
Apr 30, 5:11 AM

May 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
trinitroglycerin said:
Have you even watched it lol?
Not yet, which is why I asked. I tend to avoid big franchises, but I'm more inclined to watch it now.

trinitroglycerin said:
Can't fucking believe someone is asking if the Monogatari Series are ecchi.
Would be interesting to know why MAL and even Anilist seemingly don't label them correctly, despite Monogatari being so huge.
@Zarutaku Watch it. It's really studio Shaft at the peak of their storytelling through animation capacities aka how to make 3 back to back to back fully dialogues episode interesting to watch (and they are). I'd say Monogatari is 80% of contrived yet amusing dialogues, 15% of sexual weirdness and 5% of unhinged gruesome action with LOTS and i say LOTS of gore.
Apr 30, 10:20 AM

Feb 2021
Best of least favourite genres:

• Ecchi: Kill La Kill
  • Sports: Baki Hanma season 2

Worst of best genres:

• Psychological: The Promised Neverland Season 2
  • Historical: Kai Doh Maru
Apr 30, 10:50 AM

Jun 2016
I'm going above the quota because I can't pick just two favourite genres. It'll also be limited to anime I've scored.

Favourite Genres:
- Slice of Life: Working!! (Simply put, made me feel dead inside watching this).
- Yuri: Yuru Yuri (I mean, it's got yuri-bait, fourth wall breaking, and absolutely nothing going on but ... nope just nothing at all)
- Villainess: Akuyaku Reijou Nano de Last Boss wo Katte Mimashita (Bland adaptation of a manga I really like, in a genre that rarely gets adapted)
- Adult Romance: Rent a Girlfriend (No explanation needed)
- Reverse Harem ... only seen 6 of them, three being above a 9/10 for me and none being really bad.

Least favourite genres:
- Action ... I mean it's like 1/4 anime in this genre so there are many I like. Evangelion, Mob Psycho 100, Planet With, Houseki no Kuni, Psycho-pass, Monogatari Series, etc.
- Borderline H ... nope.
- Sports: Baby Steps
- Mecha: Planet With, Evangelion
May 1, 8:51 AM

Jun 2019
APolygons2 said:
@WatchTillTandava I beg the differ, I think there are a lot of anime with great osts.

And if an ost is forgettable, it just means its somehwere between a 5-3/10.

But that aside, yes the cgi was only 1 episode but in general the movement of anything was very limited.

I remember a certain chase scene in one of the episodes being specially wonky.

you may be right that your average seasonal anime don't look any better than this. but the thing is that your average seasonal anime aren't really a horror thriller that needs its atmoshpere or the monsters being scary to work.

Heavenly delusions is the exception, bit shows like this kinda need to be to work.

an sol can get away with average visuals. odd taxi is absolutely not affected by the animation just being ok.

but this being as good as an average seasonal anime, isn't enough.

Think about it like this, if the pacing is bad, and the characters are not that great.

and the plot pretty much goes nowhere by the end.

and the animation and music aren't anything better than "average" at best, so they can't really create that good of atmosphere or make the monsters scary.

then what is there left to make the show "good"?.

like when your best deffense against my complaints is "its not really worse than the average anime", and you agree on some of the issues, its not really a good show is it?

like its not terrible, but.... it doesn't exactly do anything "well".

There are a lot of anime with great OSTs, but that doesn't make them the majority. My point is that this series just falls into the majority of those which do not have great OSTs. Nothing exclusive to anime, of course. Before getting into anime I listened to a lot of music outside of the context of television and film, but rarely even noticed receiving much gratification of and consequent appreciation for OSTs. Anime is what made that switch happen within me, but it still doesn't mean that the majority are like that. I wish it were the case. But there are a lot of anime. Thousands and thousands. Even of the few hundred series I've watched, how many have "great" OSTs to me, in the sense of excellent, phenomenal, work-transfiguring OSTs which I will deeply appreciate and remember the music in weeks, months, even many years later, or seek out, download, and listen to independently outside of the anime? 50? 75? Even 100 is pushing it. It wouldn't be the "majority". I'm just being both literal and realistic here.

As for it being a horror and/or thriller and that necessitating great animation to work, I assume that you mean it requires such to be sufficiently scary or exciting, but I have a different criteria. I've been watching horror extensively and inundated in it since long before I discovered anime; since back in elementary school. And a result I'm desensitized and it's extremely rare that anything, live action or animated, actually genuinely scares me in the true visceral physiological sense. It isn't what I see as the primary purpose of horror anyway. Horror can tell great stories the same as any other genre without one actually being truly scared by them. Out of thousands of films taken in, I maybe have 10 or less I can count that scared me. And after watching a lot of anime since 2016 when I started, to this day the only anime (series or film) which has ever at all created and inspired individual moments of genuine organic terror in me, however transient, were a few scenes from season one of Higurashi. So I try not to hold others to that standard because it's simply not feasible. But that's just a preference and perspective thing.

Plot "going nowhere" also isn't something which fazes me as I never saw why any series has to tick off some arbitrary sequential formula. That's what all critics of Slice of Life series say after all, and I appreciate elements of it present in other works even among those which are not principally SoL. Especially for an obviously ongoing and unfinished series. It shouldn't really aim or strive to go anywhere by its end as it's just one season of a continuing series. And unfortunately whether or not it receives more seasons is something not entirely or at all within the control of the writers.

You ask though then, what is left to make the show "good" after my criticisms of it, acknowledgment of yours, and some of which we shared. I'll tell you what it is in this case for me. As a horror fan, I really enjoy and seek out in particular a subset or subgenre of horror called "cosmic horror", directly drawn from or influenced by the literature of the author Lovecraft. There isn't enough of it in general, let alone in anime. It was extremely nice and fascinating to see an anime for a change dabble in cosmic horror of a sort which was even based on a different subset or take of it than Lovecraft's, more deriving from the early 1970s Soviet Russian novel Roadside Picnic, the Stalker video game from the 2000s it had influenced, traditional Japanese urban legends, and more recent internet creepypastas. Never saw these otherwise seemingly disparate elements realized so well, in something animated to boot, and provide deep lore and color to something like an urban fantasy isekai with a Slice of Life-style structure and pacing. Made it feel like a really unique and immersive experience.

Also, although I said that the only scenes or moments from an anime to have ever legitimately scared me are a few from early Higurashi, which is true, there have been a number of others which, while not directly fear-inducing, very masterfully pulled off "creepy" and a palpable atmosphere of something being amiss and not quite right with the world well, and this was one of them. A few that come to mind are the scene where they're eating in that favorite local restaurant which had become a hangout, and after one of the girls unthinkingly tries the hat on from the Otherside, the world around them slowly subtly changes in the middle of what's normally nightlife in a bustling busy city. The restaurant becomes deserted of customers and even workers when shots pan to the back kitchen, the waiter begins talking indecipherable nonsense, even the downtown city streets around them are barren when they exit the restaurant, and they enter the other dimension with no obvious transition or tell slowly plucked out of their normal world by an unseen force. Another is when they are at the beach on the Otherside after being pulled there similarly unexpectedly. The deserted beach house changing room station, that gang of non-human monsters in human form approaching and attacking them without fear even though it seemed like they hadn't been there a few minutes ago or reacted to the nearby sounds of gunfire from their shooting practice a few minutes before even though any "normal" conscious humans would. The anime is rich with these moments which I find very effective and many horrors across all mediums try and often fail to cultivate. Here they did it. At that with the anime still having plenty of downtime and lighthearted and soft comedic and light-romantic moments tonally. This again, is something you don't usually see in one package.

And the characters - yes, aspects of their characterization were underwhelming and lacking (both the dialogue between the two and, from what I've heard from those who have read the novels, a lot of internal monologue of Sorao was snipped out), which I always hate to see in anything, but the characters weren't without merit beyond that. They had great backstories and attributes. Mainly what I thought was something which deserves some notice and praise here was how they didn't make the characters too stereotypical cutouts. Instead of the frequently utilized tropes, they're not in middle school or high school, but young adult college students. But the anime takes place almost entirely outside of the college too, and nor does it take place in a workplace. Not that those are all bad settings to have or don't work in other series, but you know what I mean. It's something refreshing. Instead it's two lost young people wandering through both this world and the Otherside dimension in their day-to-day. Toriko is pretty, assertive, and can come off as confident, so superficially and at first glance seems like the strong and popular genki go-getter type, but it's revealed that prior to the events of the series she only had one main friend she put her all and everything into in what some would describe or consider as an unhealthy relationship. Sorao not only lost her mother (like a lot of anime protagonists have), but her father and grandmother were violent cultists who died in a completely unrelated incident later on, and she is now such a loner cut-off from the goings-on of the world and other people that she chooses to voluntarily spend her time in an alternate dimension warzone for solitude, relaxation, and getting lost in thought before she meets the other main character who provides her a purpose, which still incidentally involves risking her life, even moreso than before. These are some great setups for mains in a different kind of horror story and as I said, I've been watching the genre most of my life.

All that said, I gave it a 7/10 which is my go-to standard average "good" rating which I give a lot of series I overall liked and enjoyed but have at least one major, usually multiple things holding them back from being and achieving more, but moreso than most it's one I saw easily could have been an 8 or a 9 with a few tweaks.

WatchTillTandavaMay 3, 10:15 PM

More topics from this board

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹

Shizuna - 4 hours ago

10 by Zedlin »»
51 seconds ago

» Why is there a stigma in the anime community towards people who enjoy children anime? Like YuGiOh, Pokemon, PreCure etc.

removed-user - May 10

45 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» Are anime getting worse and worse ? ( 1 2 )

Shomix - May 14

83 by LenRea »»
10 minutes ago

» What is the Lowest rated anime you have seen?

Animeinsight101 - Yesterday

26 by LenRea »»
12 minutes ago

» How do you react to getting spoiled?

Dragevard - Yesterday

41 by LenRea »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.