Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 11, 2011 5:03 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Only one thing to say for this epi

Kyuubei is a sick cat and it should die in a fire !
Feb 11, 2011 5:03 AM

Aug 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
Fate N/S was way better than this.
Funny that I couldn't found that words convincing, since there are absolutely no common factors between these two works at all. Mamama is psychological horror shoujo that revolutionise entire genre. On the other hand, Fate stay night is much more drama centred (and milked enough).

They are both good (if you are referring to way superior fate VN than animu), in very different ways. But since I found Urobuchi to be better writer than Natsu, I 'prefer' MMM.
Feb 11, 2011 5:08 AM

Oct 2010
ringoo4 said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Fate N/S was way better than this.
Funny that I couldn't found that words convincing, since there are absolutely no common factors between these two works at all. Mamama is psychological horror shoujo that revolutionise entire genre. On the other hand, Fate stay night is much more drama centred (and milked enough).

They are both good (if you are referring to way superior fate VN than animu), in very different ways. But since I found Urobuchi to be better writer than Natsu, I 'prefer' MMM.
Well I can agree with you to a certain extent but Unlimited Blades had a good psychological horror to it. It is really psychological but not as much as this and that is what the strong point of this show really is. I know there no common factors but the style is far superior in Fate N/S in regards to maturity. I don't find the character looks mature at all in this seriesTBH.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 11, 2011 5:11 AM

Aug 2009
I have no idea why we're comparing Fate/Stay Night (not N/S) to this when they're two unbelievably different shows. Urobuchi didn't even do Stay Night. He did Zero.
Feb 11, 2011 5:20 AM

Nov 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
She is the one who comes to see Kyoko in the arcades to tell her most of all that Sayaka will not make it and the town is Kyoko’s territory. I was kind of confused by it because does it mean she wants to eliminate Sayaka or to wait for Walpurgisnacht Night in order to make use of Sayaka?

I read it as more innocent than that.
Madoka explained what kind of girl Sayaka was, making Homura conclude those were fatal flaws for a MG. Homura is probably convinced (like most of us) that Madoka seeing Sayaka nearly being killed by Kyouko, is a sure way to prompt her into turning a MG. So I think she tried to prevent that scenario (and putting Madoka through more suffering) by telling Kyouko she can have the town, if she leaves Sayaka alone.

Caterpillar said:
Plus the soul being in the soul gem seems like a logically sound idea to me, why would they care that it is no longer in their body.

Maybe because that soulgem looks like a pretty breakable object?
Also the 'overslept -> rush out to be on time -> forget soulgem -> drop dead after 100m' scenario has it's downsides >.>
Feb 11, 2011 5:34 AM

Mar 2010
I thought this show couldn't surprise me anymore, it did. Well, it was pretty obivous that Soul Gems weren't just pretty jewelery, but execution of scene where Madoka almost kills Sayaka by throwing her Soul Gem away was simply breathtaking.
Also, I think that Kyubey isn't exactly evil, just withdrawn from humanity, he clearly doesn't undestand human emotions.
Feb 11, 2011 5:42 AM

Sep 2010
Ehh people.. in the preview it wasn't Mami's voice, it's their green-haired friend who is almost never seen in this show (in the first episode I was convinced she would become a Mahou Shoujo as well xD).

I think they are just trying to make us believe Kyuube is evil, because it's too obvious. But meh, the things he says can't really be explained in a sense of 'he's not evil', I don't really believe that ''he doesn't understand emotions' thing.

I'm wondering about that riddle on Madoka's computer, my face went all O.o when that suddenly popped up.

Oh, and I don't really have a theory for this, but I read about a lot of people thinking Homura is the future Madoka, but I actually think she might be a future Sayaka..
Proud mama and papa of Misha Yuuki* (02-01-2014 - 22-01-2014)
Thank you for the wonderful twenty days you gave us. <3
One day we will meet again..
Feb 11, 2011 5:51 AM

Jul 2010
annoying madoka! ¬.¬
just go and be a puella magi!
Feb 11, 2011 6:11 AM

Sep 2010
Kyubei is the Villain....
Feb 11, 2011 6:22 AM

Nov 2009
Was hoping for Kyoko to kill Kyubey but I'd bet he is invincible because of magic too.

Certainly looks like Madoka has made the right choice by not contracting. I suspect something like a witch or Kyubey himself will cause something to happen to her family if she doesnt or something like that anyway.

This is still the best anime of the season plot wise. Already wishing it was next week XD;
Feb 11, 2011 6:40 AM

Mar 2008
About preview of next episode, I think it could be a emotional reflection of Madoka and it would interesting to see instead of her complaining and worrying to see a serious side of her thoughts. This episode’s art work in spoiler
I also have one response to Kyuubei “It’s not we don’t care about where our souls are, it’s we don’t want to be trapped in a gem for a wish!” I could would very well prefer to be like my avatar, a esper have powers and a soul with my body and not in something! >:/

If that depiction is right, Mami's Soul Gem isn't on her head after all?
Ah well.. Just became curious about it, I don't think she'll ever come back anyway. Sadly.
Feb 11, 2011 6:42 AM

Oct 2010
cleo said:
Yumekichi11 said:
She is the one who comes to see Kyoko in the arcades to tell her most of all that Sayaka will not make it and the town is Kyoko’s territory. I was kind of confused by it because does it mean she wants to eliminate Sayaka or to wait for Walpurgisnacht Night in order to make use of Sayaka?

I read it as more innocent than that.
Madoka explained what kind of girl Sayaka was, making Homura conclude those were fatal flaws for a MG. Homura is probably convinced (like most of us) that Madoka seeing Sayaka nearly being killed by Kyouko, is a sure way to prompt her into turning a MG. So I think she tried to prevent that scenario (and putting Madoka through more suffering) by telling Kyouko she can have the town, if she leaves Sayaka alone.
I think it would be better in this case to use Sayaka on Walpurgisnacht Night to help out Homura. She will have no choice since her precious prince is in that city and from what I looked in the beginning just to remind myself, in the spoiler looks to me like that real city is being destroyed.
it also shows the big witch that might be coming so Sayaka will fight it to protect Kamijou.

Feb 11, 2011 7:08 AM

Feb 2009
HOLLY SHIT! Best mahou shoujo since Nanoha ever!

Feb 11, 2011 7:17 AM

Oct 2008
Caterpillar said:
Plus the soul being in the soul gem seems like a logically sound idea to me, why would they care that it is no longer in their body.

Remember the scene where black filth is transferred from the soul gem to the grief seed to "increase their magical capacities." Using magic corrupts one's soul and if one does not find grief seeds to purify it, something terrible is likely to happen (turn into witch?).

Before, it seemed like purifying the soul gem was just a way to replenish magic, just like refueling your car. But now, it seems that magic has a direct effect on your soul itself, which is why they would care whether their soul is in their soul gem.
Feb 11, 2011 7:18 AM

Nov 2008
SteelMaverick said:
There's a lot of theories behind what exactly causes the Soul Gem to become tainted, but we know that after a Grief Seed absorbs too much taint from a Soul Gem, the witch can be revived. Since Witches are born from curses, negative emotions etc. we can assume the use of magic may in fact be a curse on the soul. If we also go by the negative emotions as being part of the taint, the way Mami fights, especially during episode 2, she remains rather cool, calm and collected which may also tie into her talents for being able to fight without using Grief Seeds. The same could be said for Homura, whose policy as a Puella Magi is to keep those negative emotions in check as to keep herself alive.

The grief seed was picked up offscreen but given there wasn't much of a timeskip I'd assume the Grief Seed was from the witch in episode 5 or Elly's.
Yeah I forgot to mention Mami but those two have the same situation. Why does a soulgem become tainted when they use magic though? mahou shoujos are no different from a witch!! T_T Homura's words are rather vague too
desolatoFeb 11, 2011 11:58 AM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Feb 11, 2011 7:24 AM

Oct 2009
The girl's voice in the preview is madoka's green haired friend.
Feb 11, 2011 7:29 AM

Oct 2008
If Homura doesn't want Madoka to be a mahou shoujo, why doesn't she just kill Kyubey. She did try in episode 1. Nothing is stopping her from doing it.
That would guarantee that Madoka can't be a mahou shoujo.

Also, when Homura mentions Walpurgis Night, she mentions she will defeat "her" and leave. Any speculations on who "her" is?

On a side note, Homura does have an incredible Poker face.

OmniknightFeb 11, 2011 7:32 AM
Feb 11, 2011 7:32 AM
Apr 2009
cleo said:
overslept -> rush out to be on time -> forget soulgem -> drop dead after 100m

That wouldn't happen though, since magicial girls seem to kinda "summon" their soul gems, as shown in Kyouko's transformation scene.

Feb 11, 2011 7:33 AM

Jan 2010
I think Sayakas wish might be wasted... I mean I have a feeling Kamijou will turn into a giant bastard and reject her because he can play again... I mean leaving the hospital without telling her is a hint of sort that he doesn't give a shit about her and that she was only useful when he was hurt and she was nice to him.

I mean we don't know if sayaka is his friend from before he became famous for playing the violin or if she was just a fan. If she was just a fan that figured out he was hurt so she went to see him in the hospital and then kept coming then he wouldn't care much about her ne?

What I wonder is if he does give her the cold shoulder or tell her to leave him alone what will that do to sayaka??? Will she lose the will to fight or loathe him and try for revenge??? She doesn't seem like the type of character to do either of those things though so I wonder what will happen or what will she do???

Of course theres the possibility of her getting killed before anything relating to Kamijou happens... What I wonder is if his hand will then go back to its injured state???I mean we've seen that Kyubey is a kinda cold guy so If the Mahou shoujo's part of the contract (killing witches) is finished (because shes dead) then maybe Kyubeys part (The wish itself) would end...
Feb 11, 2011 7:36 AM

Aug 2009
Fucking Kyubey, all of my fucking hate.
Samu-tanFeb 11, 2011 7:40 AM
Feb 11, 2011 7:42 AM

Jan 2010
Ahaha last thing in the ending preview it IS sayaka and Madokas friend Im pretty sure but the thing is I figured out (and Im pretty sure others have too) that the lines said in the previews are lines that are said in the next episode so what would their friend have to do with wishes??? AND more importantly why would she be talking to kyubey IF that is her in the preview???
Feb 11, 2011 7:43 AM

Nov 2007
stevethapirate said:

Also was it just me or was that Mami's voice saying she made Sayaka's dream come true at the end of the episode? Kyubey....... wtf are you up to?

Huh, really? I thought I heard Ryoko Shintani, Hitomi, Madoka's other non-MS friend.

I was shocked when I saw that Sayaka was dead, and Madoka killed her! It would have been better if she stayed dead, it's not like I hate her, but it would really be dramatic.

I really LOVE this show.

Feb 11, 2011 7:46 AM

May 2009
Mahou Shoujo are actually Zombie?! Oh noes! (>_<) - the other series(KorewaZombiedesuka?) makes me think that this is almost true, lol xD

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Feb 11, 2011 7:52 AM

Oct 2010
Sayonara7 said:
I think Sayakas wish might be wasted... I mean I have a feeling Kamijou will turn into a giant bastard and reject her because he can play again... I mean leaving the hospital without telling her is a hint of sort that he doesn't give a shit about her and that she was only useful when he was hurt and she was nice to him.
I like that thinking about Kamijou and I was thinking along those same lines for what might cause Sayaka's ultimate fall.

Kamijou should have waited for her to visit him but I do wonder more if she would have visited him in this episode, what may have been his reactions, could it have been rejection and I don't need you or romance to turn sour at the worst moment.

Feb 11, 2011 7:53 AM
Oct 2007
I love Kyouka she is my favorite character in this show. Pocky eating, short shorts wearing, ddr playing fang-tan magical girl . She is awesome. Maybe Walgrapus night is when Mami will come back as a witch (I don't remember what is special about that night, it's been awhile since I seen Bible Black lol)
zeroryoko1974Feb 11, 2011 8:03 AM
Feb 11, 2011 8:21 AM

Feb 2010
Woaaaah, damn that was quite an episode!
QB isn't as evil as I thought before, but still as cold as steel.
So, Madoka nearly killed Sayaka.. I think that was a pretty big "wrong" there for her. :)
Feb 11, 2011 8:30 AM

May 2010
Woah. Another suprising revelation!!

QB has already shed 50% of his cutesy mascot.

Now how will QB convince Madoka if that's part of the business of being Magical Girl.
Feb 11, 2011 8:41 AM
Jun 2008
StormViruz said:
Now how will QB convince Madoka if that's part of the business of being Magical Girl.
Actually the series is getting interesting on knowing why Madoka will become a Magical Girl.
After this episode,Madoka become more hesitated of becoming it than before .I guess she may become Mahou shoujo in the last episode with a good reason of why he choose to be one.

Since homura doesn't transform or carry any soul gem.I wonder what makes her so desperate of collecting Grief Seeds if she does not get tainted ><" .
MorningGloryFeb 11, 2011 8:47 AM
Feb 11, 2011 8:44 AM

Dec 2008
Homura probably just wasted most of her soul energy or whatever saving Sayaka...

Great ep!!
Feb 11, 2011 9:01 AM

Jun 2010
This episode showed much more that Kyubey is evil. He wants Madoka to become a mahou shoujo so badly, I wonder what's so special about her.

But Madoka annoys me even more now. Sometimes she acts without thinking. Like now, she ran towards Sayaka throwing the soul gem away. If Sayaka would die, Madoka would probably become a mahou shoujo. I was surprised though about the bodies of the magical girls.

And Homura wins. My favorite character from Madoka so far.
Feb 11, 2011 9:04 AM
Nov 2009
I Love this show! this episode.. Poor Sayaka! Kyuubey needs a Nice Boat death right about now! I don't like him one bit :(
Feb 11, 2011 9:25 AM
Nov 2008
I am officially putting my money on an epic Shaft troll. There's only half a season left. I'm betting that Madoka doesn't become a magical girl. If anyone can pull it off, Shaft can!
Feb 11, 2011 9:27 AM

Aug 2010
Kyubey's dark side is revealed a little, exciting ^^

Feb 11, 2011 9:33 AM

Jan 2011
I hate QB more than olds.
Its keep secret alot as same as Homura.
The world isn't beautiful,Therefore it is.
Feb 11, 2011 9:33 AM
Feb 2011
QB is starting to seem like the devil, you get anything you want at the price of your soul, you become a zombified slave to him, but this means Mami may still be alive, if she didn't brake her soul gem, they just have to find it.
Feb 11, 2011 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
AiKotoba said:
but dosent this mean that mami could still be alive if her soul gem survived?
yay

Yes technically she would be alive, but with no body that soul gem is useless.
Feb 11, 2011 9:59 AM
Feb 2011
daBoss said:
mabey there is a way that QB knows seeing as he never seems to tell them anything he is propably hiding a lot more secrets.
desolatoFeb 11, 2011 11:56 AM
Feb 11, 2011 9:59 AM

Dec 2007
What is wrong with you people?

One character death and now suddenly everyone is wishing for Sayaka to die. If it hadn't happened to Mami, it wouldn't have even been a possibility.
Feb 11, 2011 10:02 AM

Nov 2007
Omniknight said:
If Homura doesn't want Madoka to be a mahou shoujo, why doesn't she just kill Kyubey. She did try in episode 1. Nothing is stopping her from doing it. That would guarantee that Madoka can't be a mahou shoujo.

I've been wondering about that too.
Homura said it's too late for that, now that Madoka has made contact with him.
Wild guess: maybe there are loads of QB's, and the death of 1 will only make another one appear. Trying to kill them all would only be wasting magic?

Omniknight said:
Also, when Homura mentions Walpurgis Night, she mentions she will defeat "her" and leave. Any speculations on who "her" is?

They're talking about Sayaka, but I watched Nutbladder's subs, and they don't have anything about 'defeating her'. But H does say: " If you win then (Walpurgis night), I'll leave this city."

Sayonara7 said:
What I wonder is if he does give her the cold shoulder or tell her to leave him alone what will that do to sayaka??? Will she lose the will to fight or loathe him and try for revenge??? She doesn't seem like the type of character to do either of those things though so I wonder what will happen or what will she do???
Yes it's fairly obvious she cares a lot more about him than he does for her. Him checking out of the hospital without telling her are the 1st signs. She might try to tell him she's the cause for his miraculous recovery, only to make him conclude she's a lunatic.
So she's gonna follow Kyouko's advise, and turn him into a cripple again LOL, j/k.
She's sure gonna regret her wish though.

On top of that, I think she's gonna distance herself from Makota, due to her hate for Homura. Learning she's a zombie now and that Homura helped maintaining that situation might make matters worse instead of making her grateful.
Likely result: she'll turn into a witch, as both stopping with fighting or lashing out will lead to that.

daBoss said:
We don't know yet if - when a body is destroyed and the soulgem survives - a soul can be put into another body.
Feb 11, 2011 10:23 AM

Oct 2010
I found finally something that would make everyone happy of seeing about Kyuubei in the spoiler
would have been fun to see it happen in this episode. Oh the joy of that somehow.

Feb 11, 2011 10:25 AM

Feb 2008
Why does I got a feeling that Madoka will not become a Mahou Shoujo in the end ?

If you look back at first episode when Madoka dream about that day, I think that will happend in reality and that's when Madoka turn out to be a Mahou Shoujo.
The simple reason Madoka want to become a Mahou Shoujo is to save people!
In a few more episodes I think she will become Mahou Shoujo to save Homura of that day.
I don't know how Homura know Madoka but either she is from future or they meet in the past or in the dream.

The dream become reality!

Well now we know some a bit reason why Homura doesn't want Madoka to become a Mahou Shoujo.

This episode explain how Mami can survived accident when she made contract to become a Mahou Shoujo, her soul got transfer into that soul gem.
I doubt Mami will ever come back, in that fight with the witch she lose all her magical powers that's mean dead.
It's need a miracle.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Feb 11, 2011 10:29 AM

Nov 2010
daBoss said:
We don't know yet if - when a body is destroyed and the soulgem survives - a soul can be put into another body.

It would have to be either a dead person, or a another mahou shoujo that lost their soul gem.
Feb 11, 2011 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
daBoss said:

It would have to be either a dead person, or a another mahou shoujo that lost their soul gem.
There are some speculations (based on that riddle) that Sayako's soul will end up in that cat Madoka is holding in the OP. I hate to see that happening though:P
Feb 11, 2011 10:51 AM

Oct 2007
Stupid furry, deserves to die already.
Feb 11, 2011 11:01 AM

Dec 2008
Damn! Kyubei is sadistic!! That lowdown, sleezy, bastard waits until after the girls form a contract to tell them that they're basically zombies. And he says it like he's happy about it!

Even Kyouko, who is just an evil and vengeful little fanged bitch was caught off guard by his revelation. I wonder what would happen if Kyouko killed Kyubei?

And here I was thinking that Kyubei was all cute and fluffy. Now I realize that his true form is probably that of a horned demon!!
Feb 11, 2011 11:23 AM

Apr 2010
I somehow feel they're all going to be fighting Kyubei in the end.

Feb 11, 2011 11:28 AM

May 2008
Kyuubei= the most evil Mahou Shoujo mascot ever made. I wonder if anyone else could top him?

Seriously, I don't understand why there are people who still want Madoka to become a magical girl. We're halfway through the series, and she has absolutely NO desire to become one now thanks to the knowledge we now know about soul gems and their owners' dependance on them. Plus, she needs to be the normal one because she is the only important character who isn't a magical girl but is in that terrible world they all live in. Isn't that the point of this show?

But anyways, it was a great episode. I thought for a moment Sayaka would die, but she didn't after all. There's so much we know now, thanks to Madoka's decision to throw Sayaka's Soul Gem. Homura's the only one who already knew what would become of her if her Soul Gem had not been retrieved. I was surprised even Kyouko didn't know. But damn, she was so close to just killing Kyuubei. Dammit.
Feb 11, 2011 11:36 AM

Jan 2008
Feb 11, 2011 12:06 PM

Jun 2009
That's it. I can't stand Kyubey anymore. And I didn't expect Sayaka to die for a few minutes.

Feb 11, 2011 12:12 PM

Aug 2007
I knew it, Kyubey was evil all along.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.