Forum Settings
Forums

What show did you dislike at first but grew to like?

New
Jan 21, 2019 3:13 PM
Oct 2017
Mine would be Violet Evergarden, I found the first 4 or so episodes to be quite dull, I thought the art style and animation were stunning but the the show itself was dull lacking any substance for me. However as the show progressed, it slowly managed to draw me in.

Episode 10 was probably my favourite single episode of any anime, I'm not the crying type but even I had tears in my eyes as I watched it, by the end of the series, it had won me over and it is now in my top 10 favourite anime.

Which anime fits this description for you?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 21, 2019 3:19 PM
Took me 4 attempts of watching Bakemonogatari to get into the Monogatari series, since Hitagi Crab is possibly the most boring arc in all of anime. Now it's in my top 3.
Jan 21, 2019 3:20 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, probably none? There's plenty of shows with weak starts, but I didn't dislike them early on, I just ended up liking them way more later on. If I really dislike something early on, I'd probably drop it.

One example I can think of was Shinsekai Yori which I almost dropped after the first ep because it looked like it might be just another generic school anime but it turned out to be something completely different and I loved it and am happy I stuck with it. But that was more of a misunderstanding, I didn't dislike ep 1 per se, it just felt like it might not go anywhere I want to be so I considered dropping it but ended up deciding to give it a few more eps and it quickly became obvious this is going to be a unique show that goes for something entirely different.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 21, 2019 3:22 PM
Apr 2017
konosuba
i got a few laughs later on
its fun
Jul 2018
Gintama had one of the worst starts but is one of the best shows I have ever watched. The fourth season is my favourite anime of all time.

Sep 2016
Tsuki Ga Kirei
I thought it was just going to be another awkward teen romance thing first couple episodes, turned out to be something much greater

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

Jan 21, 2019 3:24 PM
Oct 2017
NeoLegendX said:
konosuba
its fun

Love Konosuba, probably my favourite comedy anime.
Jan 21, 2019 3:26 PM

Dec 2015
Violet Evergaden would be one for me, but after episode 10 the show was extremely boring. Even the ending was desapointing.

So I guess my most recent example is Devilman Crybaby. Let's be real, the first episodes were just to make the show feel edgy, putting gore nudity and a bunch of weird design stuff. Only after the 4th episode that you could see the plot advancing and becoming something interesting. And finally the last 4 episodes were a masterpiece.
Jan 21, 2019 3:27 PM
Apr 2017
plonkerboy900 said:
NeoLegendX said:
konosuba
its fun

Love Konosuba, probably my favourite comedy anime.

i have ouran as my favorite comedy
its pissing me that there was no continuation
Jan 21, 2019 3:31 PM

Jul 2017
There's actually quite a lot. Gintama, FMA:B, Gekkan Shoujo, Star Blazers Yamato there are tons of shows that I thought were boring at first glance/upon watching the first few eps but then my opinion of them changed heavily by the end

It's why I don't drop shows anymore, never know when you'll miss a potential gem
Jan 21, 2019 3:32 PM

Sep 2016
Short_Circut said:

It's why I don't drop shows anymore, never know when you'll miss a potential gem

I've actually gone the opposite way. If I drop more shows, I can potentially watch more shows I'll like

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

Jan 21, 2019 3:38 PM

Jul 2017
Sharpoint said:
Short_Circut said:

I've actually gone the opposite way. If I drop more shows, I can potentially watch more shows I'll like

Yea that can make sense. I mean, there are shows where I didn't like at the start, knew I wasn't going to like it at all and didn't like it at the end so dropping wouldn't really have made me miss anything, but for me at least it's kinda like listening to a song you don't like at first; if you listen to it over and over again eventually it might grow on you but if you never listen to it ever again you'll never end up liking it
Jan 21, 2019 3:40 PM

Sep 2016
Short_Circut said:
Sharpoint said:

Yea that can make sense. I mean, there are shows where I didn't like at the start, knew I wasn't going to like it at all and didn't like it at the end so dropping wouldn't really have made me miss anything, but for me at least it's kinda like listening to a song you don't like at first; if you listen to it over and over again eventually it might grow on you but if you never listen to it ever again you'll never end up liking it

Main difference is, a song isn't a 4+hour commitment, and you can listen to a song while doing other things. But I get your point there.

300th pun
xchyssa said:

Jan 21, 2019 3:41 PM

Jan 2019
Konosuba
Nanatsu no Taizai

probably others, which i can not recall rn.
Jan 21, 2019 3:46 PM

Nov 2018
might be boruto, it kinda reminds me of naruto-super-fillers era, and i don't really like the idea of sci-fi ninja.. but i found the animation art really great and the story ain't that bad
Jan 21, 2019 4:15 PM

Jan 2016
There's not that many shows where I actively disliked it and grew to like it, but there's at least a few that had a start that I was kinda middling on or even a bit bored by and grew to really like it. Hakumei to Mikochi wasn't grabbing me in the first 2 episodes, but by episode 3 it really clicked with me and I thought it was great. Same with Yagate Kimi ni Naru, although it took a bit longer, episode 5 or 6 before I was really liking it. BNHA didn't really latch onto me until season 2, and Bungou Stray Dogs got miles better in its second season, but none of those I actively disliked, more I was just kinda not fully into them until later.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jan 21, 2019 4:21 PM

Jun 2016
Mythologically said:
Took me 4 attempts of watching Bakemonogatari to get into the Monogatari series, since Hitagi Crab is possibly the most boring arc in all of anime. Now it's in my top 3.
First time I see someone's favorite anime also has the most boring arc in all of anime in his opinion, lulz
Jan 21, 2019 4:23 PM

May 2015
Me too with Shinsekai Yori. Didn't like the slow-paced, schoolchildren-filled first 2 episodes, but it got better

Jan 21, 2019 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
Probably Clannad is the only anime that fits this description to me, at first I dropped the anime. After some time I gave it a second try and forced myself to finish it.

While I still dislike most of the first part of the anime, I like the overall series.
Jan 21, 2019 4:38 PM

Aug 2018
plonkerboy900 said:
Episode 10 was probably my favourite single episode of any anime, I'm not the crying type but even I had tears in my eyes as I watched it, by the end of the series, it had won me over and it is now in my top 10 favourite anime.

Man, episode 10 did that to me too. That's the first anime that really made me cry tbh.

But for me, Steins;Gate and Black Clover. S;G was painfully slow to start, but I'm glad I stuck it out to the end. Black Clover isn't as bad or as great as people say to me. Once you get past the handful of annoying characters and animation style, it's an okay show.
Jan 21, 2019 4:40 PM

Feb 2018
Hxh had a pretty weak start, but now it's one of my favorite anime of all time.
Jan 21, 2019 5:08 PM

Aug 2016
Shiki, I had to force myself to get passed the first 6 or 7 episodes because I just couldn't stand some of the characters tbh, but I ended up really liking the enemy and I'm glad I stuck with it, I was watching 1-2 episodes a day until after that first part then straight binged the rest in like 2 days or so.
Jan 21, 2019 5:09 PM

May 2016
didn't dislike it per se, but I found bungou stray dogs pretty meh until the second season and boy did it pick up from there

Jan 21, 2019 5:16 PM

Apr 2018
Log Horizon. I thought it was boring as hell but I tried it again and was very enjoyable.
A lone warrior surviving hundreds of battles, when it comes to losing, I'm the strongest.
Jan 21, 2019 5:20 PM

Jan 2019
Probably Houseki no Kuni from the top of my head.

Also didnt like Yuru camp at first.
Jan 21, 2019 5:21 PM

Jan 2019
Mythologically said:

Snail arc after it is even worse, currently stuck on episode 5 for months, cant believe i still havent completed it.
Jan 21, 2019 9:06 PM

Jul 2015
I didn't think I would like Kara no Kyoukai because I'm not a big Fate fan, but I ended up really liking it.
Jan 21, 2019 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
Same. Violet Evergarden was so boring in the first few episodes. Steins;Gate first episode was boring too.
Jan 21, 2019 9:13 PM
Apr 2016
Magical index. It took me 10 month to watch the first 8 episode because how boring it is with the weird soundtrack early on. But after that it only took me 1 week to finish all the season + railgun series + movie
Jan 21, 2019 9:16 PM

Mar 2017
Steins;Gate seemed haphazard and lacking direction for about the first 4 episodes, but eventually it coalesces into a real plot. And then there's that moment in I think episode 12 where it really hits the fan.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 21, 2019 9:19 PM
Jan 2018
The closest thing for me to dislike a show I now like is Planet With. I was in a bad mood the day I saw the first episode, and it felt too cliffhanger-ish. But I felt it was average, not bad, so I kept going.
Jan 21, 2019 9:38 PM

Feb 2017
Durarara, I had it dropped at ep 3 but started it again and it's not bad.
Jan 21, 2019 9:45 PM
Jul 2018
Love Live.
when I first started LL, I didn't like it and when i deiced to give it another shot it became one of my favourite anime
Jan 22, 2019 12:33 AM
May 2016
obligatory fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood
cowboy bebop's first 6~ episodes ranged from bad to meh
first time i watched watamote i got triggered because it was too relatable and i took myself way too seriously during that period of time so i dropped it after 2-3 episodes, but a couple years later i checked it out again and liked it, not sure if that really counts
ShiroanonJan 22, 2019 12:37 AM
Jan 22, 2019 12:49 AM

Apr 2016
I dunno if this is cliche, but FLCL. The first time I saw it, I hated it. Very little to understand if you aren't paying attention, unlikable MC, and technically a mecha (I had a bias against mecha shows, still do). Yet it was only 6 episodes so I finished it.

The second time I watched it I focused on the storyline and imagery more, so I came to like it.

By the third time, I saw the light and realized it was quite the masterpiece and a labor of love.

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
Jan 22, 2019 12:55 AM

Dec 2018
Lol why should I try to continue an anime that I hate in the first place

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Jan 22, 2019 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
There may be many I can't think of in the top of my head but here's one that I can think of at the moment.

+ TenSura. At first, I thought it started very slow and it was just your average fantasy isekai - but with a motherf***ing blob of slime as an MC! That is until between episodes 6 - 8 which made me more invested in the show.
Jan 22, 2019 1:49 AM

Sep 2016
Clannad.
After watching the first episode, I really didn't like the art and design character, especially the big eyes. It took me 3 months to watch the second episode. But after watching a few episodes... Clannad and Clannad AF is my favorite anime.
Jan 22, 2019 1:52 AM

Dec 2015
Probably Steins;Gate. I liked the premise, but got a bit bored about 5 episodes in. I left it a few days then went back to it and it became one of my favourite series.

Jan 22, 2019 2:16 AM

Dec 2016
baki - first few episodes hated the art style but, as soon as i got used to the steroid muscles, ended up really enjoying it.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 22, 2019 2:24 AM

Jan 2010
Mob Psycho, dropped it at first, but like year later gave in to friends' advice and it was really cool!

plonkerboy900 said:
Mine would be Violet Evergarden, I found the first 4 or so episodes to be quite dull, I thought the art style and animation were stunning but the the show itself was dull lacking any substance for me. However as the show progressed, it slowly managed to draw me in.

Same here. Thought of dropping it after the first episode, but it turned out really nice.
Jan 22, 2019 2:43 AM

Oct 2017
violet evergarden as well, madoka magica, evangelion, love live, little witch academia, yagate kimi ni naru
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 22, 2019 2:52 AM

Sep 2013
gurren laggann begining was really boring to me
ironically I put it on hold at episode 7 ( yes motherfucking episode 7 )
I gave it another chance and is literally one of my favorites now a days, it pretty much changed my life
Jan 22, 2019 3:12 AM

Dec 2016
None so far, it's usually the other way around for me.
Jan 22, 2019 4:22 AM
Sep 2017
Rodokami said:
Log Horizon. I thought it was boring as hell but I tried it again and was very enjoyable.

Ah shit,I need to continue watch that later...maybe i will get myself to enjoy that anime,because i thought the 1st eps is really boring
Jan 22, 2019 4:39 AM

Mar 2017
Kill la Kill. I probably dislike old anime except for ghibli movies but this one grew on me
Jan 22, 2019 4:52 AM

Dec 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion. First time I tried I couldn't even get past the first episode because it felt so slow. Tried again four years later and not only did I suddenly like that first episode, the series only became better afterwards.

Monster. I first tried the manga because I liked the name and premise but, as was the case with Evangelion, thought it had a snail pace. Tried again a couple of years later and now it's my favorite manga and one of my favorite anime.
Jan 22, 2019 9:22 PM

May 2009
Absolute Duo is a particularly dramatic example of this -- I almost dropped the show early on because I got fed up with the fanservice, and it only got better later when the show got noticeably more serious and had more action scenes (as well as a couple entertainingly sassy characters who weren't just comic relief but actually contributed usefully to the action).

As a more general point, I generally dislike silly comic relief gags (especially, but not limited to, sexual fanservice gags) shoehorned into an otherwise serious story (and I do like it when stories take things seriously), but such gags tend to show up more often early in a show, so, my enjoyment of a show that starts with these things but "gets serious" later (and then stops doing these things as much) usually improves the further I get.

Take Railgun for example. Early on, Shirai's role is "crazy yuri stalker of Misaka", and Saten's role is "automatic Uiharu skirt flipper". I liked neither of them early on. Only later on did Saten get a more serious character arc, and then she grew on me. Similarly, Shirai (begrudgingly) grew on me when she actually showed she was actually competent at stuff.

On a related note, one of the things that can really make me appreciate a story but hate a character is when the character behaves in a very silly manner such that I think I'm not supposed to take it seriously, but then that character's actions actually have a negative impact and then that impact is taken seriously. It's like, "Yeah, these things actually have real consequences, now stop goofing around like that! It's no longer just about you annoying me!"
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 22, 2019 9:31 PM

Dec 2018
Mirai nikki/Future Diary.
I watched it on reccomendation from a friend, and I hated the first few episodes. God holds a competition to determine his successor and he uses cellphones of all things? Stupid. Absurdly stupid. Get out.

But it got funnier as it went along, yuno is freaking awesome, and the ending was a mind $@!%

Ended up totally loving it.

That was the biggest turn around for me, but some others I thought got better as they went were;
One piece, attack on Titan and assassination classroom.

Hunter x hunter got worse and worse as it went along and people should quit overhyping a 6 into a 9
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Jan 22, 2019 9:35 PM

Jan 2014
Steins;Gate.

To this day I still remember how I felt when I saw it the first time. It was the most boring and uninteresting show that I've ever seen. Granted I was only 2 episodes in but I was super ready to drop it. I decided to wait until episode 3 before dropping it so I can at least argue with my friends on why the show sucks. But little did I know I was already on episode 6, episode 9, heck it was already 4 in the morning! But I kept watching and watching and eventually, I finished the series. It was the first time that I've watched a series in one sitting.

It is now my favorite anime of all time
Recommend me an anime
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Weird thing about Frieren's score

Yoksven - 29 minutes ago

5 by KayKimii »»
4 minutes ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 51 minutes ago

8 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
8 minutes ago

» anime character you like but wouldn't invite to your birthday party / wedding?

lifesaver64 - 11 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime sequels that fell off ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 11

58 by BeastyAnimefan »»
28 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

62 by malvarez1 »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.