Forum Settings
Forums

What languages are you studying/can you speak

New
Sep 11, 2018 2:06 AM

Sep 2011
Hello everyone, as the title says,what languages are you studying at the moment? Do you like learning foreign languages? I can speak italian (native speaker), English, a bit of spanish and german and I also can speak japanese because I'm a fan of the Japanese culture and I like watching anime,listening to j-pop etc... (I have been studying it for 6 years and I took the N3 certificate 3 years ago... Now I think I'm at N2 level). Now, I want to study korean too... What method are you using to learn vocabulary? I know that with mnemonic, you can learn a lot of words... Search linkword on google.
Some people on the web managed to learn 1000 words in 5 hours...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 11, 2018 2:20 AM

Sep 2015
Currently I'm not learning any languages but I did like it back in high school. I can speak Croatian (native), English, German (kinda) and I studied Italian for a year but unfortunately nothing really came out of it
Sep 11, 2018 2:20 AM
Feb 2016
I've been studying Russian for about 5 years right now, and it's my currently declared major in college. I'd also like to learn Farsi, Navajo, Kurdish, Afrikaans, Icelandic, and French. And maybe some extinct languages like Proto-Indo-European or Latin.

Sep 11, 2018 2:34 AM

May 2018
I try to improve my English evryday. Also I studied Ancient Greek and Latin for 5 years, then I've some knowledge about them
Sep 11, 2018 2:52 AM
Jul 2018
i can speak english and greek,currently trying to learn spanish
Sep 11, 2018 2:55 AM

May 2009
I can only speak English and French. I studied German, Italian and Spanish in the past but it was so long ago that I barely remember anything. I wish I could get the motivation to learn a language again, but every time I try, I just lose interest after a few days.
Sep 11, 2018 3:11 AM

Sep 2011
DeadlyRaven said:
I can only speak English and French. I studied German, Italian and Spanish in the past but it was so long ago that I barely remember anything. I wish I could get the motivation to learn a language again, but every time I try, I just lose interest after a few days.

Well, Italian and Spanish are very similar... As a native speaker of italian, I can understand 80-85% of spanish text... Yeah, if you study it deeply, you realize there are some differences, but you can still understand the plot.
otakuclub94Sep 11, 2018 3:28 AM
Sep 11, 2018 3:27 AM

Sep 2018
I can speak Italian, English and also a bit of French. I'd like to learn German, it has always interested me, but now I'm focused on improving my French.
Sep 11, 2018 3:40 AM

May 2009
otakuclub94 said:
DeadlyRaven said:

Well, Italian and Spanish are very similar... As a native speaker of italian, I can understand 80-85% of spanish text... Yeah, if you study it deeply, you realize there are some differences, but you can still understand the plot.

Too bad that both are rusty to a point where I can't even have a small conversation in either of them.
Sep 11, 2018 4:25 AM

Mar 2016
I have been studying French, but I am certainly not fluent. And of course, my native language is English.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Sep 11, 2018 4:53 AM

May 2013
English, Russian, Ukranian, Hebrew.

Currently I'm working on my French and Arabic.
Sep 11, 2018 5:26 AM

Jul 2016
I speak Russian as my native language, but use Czech and English a lot both in my everyday life and studies. I'm studying biology in Czech, but some materials are in English. I also speak Czech with the locals and would like to assimilate rather than hang out with Russians all the time, because honestly I see no point in going here and not trying to communicate with the Czechs in their language. My English is much better than Czech, especially fluency and vocabulary, but I don't have any major difficulties with Czech as it's a Slavic language.
MortieSep 11, 2018 5:35 AM
Sep 11, 2018 5:39 AM

Jan 2013
I speak Spanish (my first language) and I’ve been studying English since I was a little kid (I’m a C1). I used to study Chinese but I couldn’t continue because I didn’t have time anymore.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 11, 2018 6:09 AM
Jul 2018

I speak Russian and Bad Russian but would like to learn English more, it will be enough for me.
Sep 11, 2018 6:16 AM

Jan 2013
Finnish as my first language, Swedish because we have to study it, English is a given, Japanese, just started studying Chinese. And I know some phrases in several languages but nowhere near fluency.
Sep 11, 2018 6:21 AM

Dec 2014
Ouch, another language thread.

I can speak English, Portuguese and Spanish, I still need to improve my Spanish a lot though. I have been working on French (or at least trying to) and can understand some of it. I also have studied a bit of Norwegian and Mandarin so I would say I know a little bit of it, but forgot most of it. Have plans on learning Italian, Japanese and German as well.

Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 11, 2018 6:23 AM

Dec 2016
Swedish and English, I was teaching myself Spanish but now German lol. Hate them both
"Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."
Sep 11, 2018 6:31 AM

Sep 2011
Lecoir said:
Swedish and English, I was teaching myself Spanish but now German lol. Hate them both

Why are studying them if you hate them? ahah
Sep 11, 2018 6:53 AM

Dec 2015
I'm not learning any language at the moment, but I can speak Arabic (native language) English, and a bit of French. I'm pretty bad at the latter, and I'm considering re-learning it.
Sep 11, 2018 7:04 AM

Dec 2016
otakuclub94 said:
Lecoir said:

Why are studying them if you hate them? ahah

An obvious reason to get extra points when I get out of school
"Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."
Sep 11, 2018 7:39 AM

Jun 2014
I’m a fluent speaker of Dovahzul.
Sep 11, 2018 7:40 AM

Feb 2017
I can speak Serbo-Croatian (my native), English and German. I can fully understand Bulgarian and Slovenian. I can also understand other Slavic languages enough to hold a simple converstation.
TsarkoSep 11, 2018 7:53 AM
Sep 11, 2018 8:48 AM

Jun 2016
English is my native tongue and I can speak some very basic German from taking 5 years of it in high school.
Sep 11, 2018 9:00 AM

Oct 2014
I'm only fluent in English. I can speak/understand a fair bit of Spanish due to family, but can't read/write it much at all. If anything it's more like Spanglish, though.
Sep 11, 2018 9:23 AM

Sep 2011
English and Japanese. Yes I'm still trying to learn English because there are still times that I'm having grammar errors and when it comes to looking for a job, English is always vital for most jobs. My speaking skills is much worse...

Japanese for obvious reasons but I'll be also needing to learn it in the future in case I'll go to Japan to grab a job there instead. I'm also planning to live there too. I'm still at beginner but to be honest I'm better at speaking Japanese than speaking English despite English is my 2nd language. Well my mother used to teach me on speaking Japanese language, although they're just basic communication ones, when I was a kid but she stopped at some point.

Sep 11, 2018 9:38 AM

Apr 2013
I speak French, English and Japanese.
I have studied German for years, but unfortunately I barely remember anything.
Sep 11, 2018 9:43 AM
Jul 2015
I am fluent in Russian, English, and French. I can understand German and the language of my country on a decent level, as well as some Italian and Serbian.
Sep 11, 2018 11:06 AM

May 2013
For the longest time as a child I studied German and got pretty good. Haven't practiced much so it's rather rusty but that kind of thing leaves a mark on you.

Currently studying Japanese to understand my favorite band Maximum the Hormone.
ポリスマンファック
Sep 11, 2018 11:46 AM

Nov 2011
portuguese (native), english and enough japanese to enjoy anime series aimed at children and read easy manga. my vocabulary and kanji still sucks though. i wish i knew French, German and Russian though.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 11, 2018 12:09 PM

May 2016
I used to speak Spanish as it was my first language but I forgot the language over a coarse of several years. English is my main language now and I’m taking German 1 atm at school

I know some Japanese words and phrases too

Sep 11, 2018 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
im only a bilingual but borderline bilingual since im not that fluent in english and my native language is filipino/tagalog
Sep 11, 2018 12:41 PM

Sep 2011
deg said:
im only a bilingual but borderline bilingual since im not that fluent in english and my native language is filipino/tagalog

Just out of curiosity, is it true that filipinos mix english,tagalog and spanish in sentences?
Sep 11, 2018 12:45 PM

Nov 2017
I can speak arabic, english (although i might slip sometimes), Italian and a little bit french
Learning languages is my main hobby and i'm aiming to learn spanish too
Sep 11, 2018 12:45 PM

Jan 2009
otakuclub94 said:
deg said:

Just out of curiosity, is it true that filipinos mix english,tagalog and spanish in sentences?

yes but i personally do not know the spanish language, although we are once an imperial colony of Spain for like hundreds of years, same with USA we were once a colony of them too
Sep 11, 2018 12:54 PM

Aug 2015
Languages are my life (I mean that's what I actually do for a living, and I love it). Spanish is my native language, and I am fluent in English and French. I've been studying japanese for 5 years and I have an N3 level. I can also understand some norwegian, but I don't actually speak it (my pronontiation sucks). I did 2 years of latin and ancient greek in high school, and a bit of russian and chinese in the university too. Now I focus mainly in japanese.
Sep 11, 2018 12:54 PM

Dec 2017
The languages I can speak is my native and English.

The one I want to study are French(even tho I because I have to) and really want to learn some Ruski.(but only planned for now)
Sep 11, 2018 4:53 PM

Dec 2014
-Ouro- said:
I've been studying Russian for about 5 years right now, and it's my currently declared major in college. I'd also like to learn Farsi, Navajo, Kurdish, Afrikaans, Icelandic, and French. And maybe some extinct languages like Proto-Indo-European or Latin.
Isn't Latin part of the Indo-European?

otakuclub94 said:
deg said:

I've always got the idea as well, mostly towards Spanish.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 11, 2018 5:01 PM
Feb 2016
Fidelium said:
-Ouro- said:
Isn't Latin part of the Indo-European?

otakuclub94 said:

I've always got the idea as well, mostly towards Spanish.

Yeah it is part of the indo european language tree

Sep 11, 2018 5:14 PM

Nov 2015
I speak English, French, Spanish and Farsi.
My High School was surprisingly good at teaching languages.
Sep 11, 2018 6:29 PM

Nov 2017
I speak English and Japanese. German is the other language I want to be fluent in. I'd like to speak some Greek 'cause it sounds pretty to me lol. I might learn Korean too
Sep 11, 2018 7:54 PM

Jul 2017
I speak mandarin (native), english and Im moderately fluent in japanese. I studied spanish as my third language course and I know a little bit of korean
Sep 11, 2018 8:54 PM

Mar 2013
I've only studied Japanese but it's been a while since I last studied. So far, I know enough to be able to understand a good chunk of spoken Japanese and can read a few untranslated visual novels (as long as they're not too plot heavy) but I still have a long way to go when it comes to kanji and forming sentences. As for what languages I speak, I'm fluent in both Spanish and English.

Sep 11, 2018 9:50 PM

Sep 2012
just english and spanish.
i'm trying to learn french, and can pick up things pretty easily but i haven't practiced in too long.
the only other ones i'm interested in learning soon are italian and a scandinavian one.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Sep 12, 2018 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
I can speak English, Hindi and Marathi. I'm learning Japanese, no other language interests me right now but I hope to learn more languages
Sep 12, 2018 3:21 AM
Jul 2018
English, Gujarati and I can form some basic sentences in Hindi and Spanish
Sep 13, 2018 12:20 AM
Dec 2017
I can speak English and Japanese as those are where I'm from.
I was also studying Spanish until recently, but not to the level of fluency :)
Sep 13, 2018 12:31 AM

May 2016
english is my first and the only language i'm fluent in. i studied mandarin for 4 years, but stopped because i sucked at it. i then started to learn jp for a couple of years and can read/understand basics (there's still lot's of kanji i can't read oof).
Sep 13, 2018 1:28 AM

Sep 2015
I can speak German (fluently), Arabic (native) and English (pre-advanced). I've studied a bit French and Spanish too.
Sep 13, 2018 3:17 AM

Mar 2008
I just know English. I never had opportunity to be taught in school very well or have exposure to other languages. I have tried to learn other languages myself but it's hard for me to stick to just one at a time which slowed any progress and I got set back by taking a break.

I tried:
French - Was probably on the level of a little kid. Forgot much of what I learned.
German - Probably on level of a toddler. Forgot much of what I learned.
Norwegian - About as good at it as German actually a bit better. Same issue forgot stuff.

I've had an into to:
Irish - Could only say a few things

I briefly looked into:
Welsh
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Swedish
Russian
Ukrainian
Japanese
Swahili
Spanish - I never picked up well on it because I dont like the fast speed it's spoken

Dropped:
Turkish - too much Arabic influence
Esperanto - sounded stupid and only some people online and small Esperanto groups use it

I want to try:
Icelandic - pretty sounding to me
Scots - cant find any sources to learn it even though it's so similar to English it's almost a dialect
Sanskrit - to better recite mantras
Old Norse - because why not
Ancient Egyptian - I want to understand hieroglyphs better
And American or British sign language maybe

Also would be cool to know a whistling language like Silbo

-Ouro- said:

Proto Indo European is just educated guess work though so what is PIE now may not be what it is even just ten years from now as new discoveries and theories are made. You're better off with something of known historical use because it has more practical applications.
Sep 13, 2018 6:12 AM
Feb 2016
traed said:
I just know English. I never had opportunity to be taught in school very well or have exposure to other languages. I have tried to learn other languages myself but it's hard for me to stick to just one at a time which slowed any progress and I got set back by taking a break.

I tried:
French - Was probably on the level of a little kid. Forgot much of what I learned.
German - Probably on level of a toddler. Forgot much of what I learned.
Norwegian - About as good at it as German actually a bit better. Same issue forgot stuff.

I've had an into to:
Irish - Could only say a few things

I briefly looked into:
Welsh
Hungarian
Romanian
Greek
Swedish
Russian
Ukrainian
Japanese
Swahili
Spanish - I never picked up well on it because I dont like the fast speed it's spoken

Dropped:
Turkish - too much Arabic influence
Esperanto - sounded stupid and only some people online and small Esperanto groups use it

I want to try:
Icelandic - pretty sounding to me
Scots - cant find any sources to learn it even though it's so similar to English it's almost a dialect
Sanskrit - to better recite mantras
Old Norse - because why not
Ancient Egyptian - I want to understand hieroglyphs better
And American or British sign language maybe

Also would be cool to know a whistling language like Silbo

-Ouro- said:

Proto Indo European is just educated guess work though so what is PIE now may not be what it is even just ten years from now as new discoveries and theories are made. You're better off with something of known historical use because it has more practical applications.

It may have more practical applications than say learning PIE, but I like the idea of PIE and it'll just be something that I'll be learning for my sake rather than for any occupation.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are some of your favorite animals? ( 1 2 )

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

50 by Kamikaze_404 »»
35 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

42 by Kamikaze_404 »»
1 hour ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

48 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

679 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

45 by Bruh69XD »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.