Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 4, 2018 5:00 AM

Mar 2018
It's just one of those popular anime I haven't watched and everyone seems to hate it. With a new season coming in fall this year I thought of giving it a try but a friend advised against it saying. "It's the worst anime ever". Now I can't really tell whether my friend really hates it or was just saying because it was popular thing to hate on SAO back when it aired. I've seen some clips and from that the animation and fights look good and calling it the worst ever seems to be an exaggeration. Is it something every anime fan should atleast give a try?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 4, 2018 5:01 AM

Apr 2016
Tell me what is the favorite anime of your friend ?
Sep 4, 2018 5:03 AM

Apr 2016
You decide for yourself. I'd say watch it, but others might say otherwise. Asking for an advice on MAL and any other websites is basically pointless.
Sep 4, 2018 5:04 AM

Mar 2017
Sounds like you're curious. Go watch it.

P.S. I highly recommend watching the abridged version too, SAO Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment. It's on YouTube.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 4, 2018 5:04 AM

Nov 2017
You can watch it if you wanna hate on it and be part of it's conversations but I can't guarantee you will like it.
Sep 4, 2018 5:05 AM
Aug 2017
Honestly give it a try, you will likely enjoy at least the first 15 episodes of it.
Sep 4, 2018 5:11 AM

Jul 2015
You should, to have your own opinion and experience.
Not just hate it because everyone does, like 3/4 of its haters.

Sep 4, 2018 5:12 AM

Aug 2017
Do you think you would enjoy sword art online? Take a look at it, and if it seems up your alley give it a try.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2018 5:13 AM

Mar 2018
Swagernator said:

I'm not really sure but he always talks a lot about Oregairu.
Sep 4, 2018 5:14 AM
May 2009
Read the synopsis and if you are interested than watch it, if not move on.
Sep 4, 2018 5:15 AM

Apr 2018
81Koyomi_Araragi said:
Swagernator said:

SAO is better than Oregairu. Trust me, your friend is such a troll.
Sep 4, 2018 5:15 AM

Apr 2016
81Koyomi_Araragi said:
Swagernator said:

Well, im sure you can just go and watch SAO without any problem then.
Sep 4, 2018 5:19 AM

Jul 2017
if you want you can its decent for timepass if you have nothing to watch,, but i dont classify it as good anime also people generally show hate towards mainstream popular anime's which not deserve to be popular..so its your wish if you curious just give it a try
Sep 4, 2018 5:23 AM
Mar 2013
Won't hurt to give it a try, like you said a lot of people just repeat the trendy opinion instead of forming their own
Sep 4, 2018 5:23 AM

Aug 2018
"Worst anime ever" is a bit up there, though it depends on what you compare it to. If you compare it to something to be taken seriously, it's completely broken and terribly written. I wouldn't recommend watching it as there are plenty of other things someone could recommend you, though if you want to spice your curiosity and see why people dislike it, that's up to you.
Sep 4, 2018 5:26 AM

Nov 2017
Nah. The first season is 25 episodes which means it would take you about 8 hours to finish watching it. There are other MUCH better shows out there you could spend that precious 8 hours on.
Sep 4, 2018 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, I avoided it for a long time because everyone would say it's a bad anime but it's not really. The anime was stretched a bit unnecessarily though, however it has a good plot and characters
Sep 4, 2018 5:35 AM

Feb 2015
Why are users nowadays watching shitty animes? Goddamnit watch Onichi chi
Sep 4, 2018 5:37 AM

Apr 2018
Sword Art Online's quality is EXTREMELY over-exaggerated. It's not the worst anime ever for sure, but there are a few problems that you've probably heard about. It starts out really promising before devolving into something pretty dumb, but if you want to watch it, just try it out for a few episodes and stay as long as you can.

Sep 4, 2018 5:38 AM

Jul 2017
Watch some good quality anime instead.
Sep 4, 2018 5:40 AM

Nov 2016
Your friend has obviously no clue. Just watch it, you have completed worse shows.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 4, 2018 5:42 AM

Mar 2018
Your friend is the kind of person i hate, always rides the bandwagon just to "be part of the group".
Actually, ask him why he's against of watching SAO, he better give a valid answer & explanation, if he didnt, then tell him to not force his opinion onto others.
"As someone who deranked from Legendary Eagle to Gold Nova, i can really say that war is hell."
Sep 4, 2018 5:43 AM

Feb 2018
Watch it and if you think it's shit go watch Sao Abriged on YouTube (it's amazing). And if you like it also watch Sao Abriged.
Sep 4, 2018 5:46 AM

Jun 2017
Because of the popularity it's worth to check it but if isn't good for you then drop it
Sep 4, 2018 5:47 AM
Sep 2018
Only watch seasons 1; the rest is just trash
Sep 4, 2018 6:55 AM
Aug 2016
If he thinks that SAO is the worst anime ever, then he doesn't know what he's talking about. You can give it a try. Maybe you will end up liking it.
Sep 4, 2018 6:55 AM

Jun 2014
I don’t like it, but I won’t say it’s the worst anime ever. You should watch it yourself and decide whether or not you like it.
Sep 4, 2018 6:59 AM

Nov 2008
Aslt said:
If he thinks that SAO is the worst anime ever, then he doesn't know what he's talking about. You can give it a try. Maybe you will end up liking it.

Agreed, your friend must have watched like 10 anime or something.

So here's what you do; watch episodes 1-13, STOP, and pick it back up at episode 26.

You'll be eternally grateful. XD

Sep 4, 2018 7:03 AM
Aug 2016
It's up to you, my dude. Try it out and see if you'll like it or not
Sep 4, 2018 7:06 AM

Mar 2016
Fairly good imo. If you stop liking it, though, drop it. Don't be like those sad people who watch stuff to shit on it.

Eanki said:
Sounds like you're curious. Go watch it.

P.S. I highly recommend watching the abridged version too, SAO Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment. It's on YouTube.

Agreed. This is one of my favourite things ever.
Sep 4, 2018 7:06 AM

Jun 2015
Piromysl said:
You should, to have your own opinion and experience.
Not just hate it because everyone does, like 3/4 of its haters.

OP I'm reposting this to make sure you see it.

Sep 4, 2018 7:09 AM

Nov 2017
SAO is something that pretty much everyone hates but watches anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Give it a try. God knows, you might like it. I liked the first season. The 2nd one, not as much.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So many anime, So little time!

Sep 4, 2018 7:12 AM
Dec 2013
At least watch the first arc: the Aincrad arc. I think what initially made this anime popular is that when characters died in the game, they died in real life. But after that arc ended, it was no longer like that.
wildhoodSep 4, 2018 7:17 AM
Sep 4, 2018 7:13 AM
Jan 2016
I think it's an average anime. It's not bad by any means. & like you said, visually, this anime is quite good. I even quite enjoyed the first season overall. But, I would not recommend this to anyone, because it's not good, especially the writing quality.

So, should you watch it? No.
Sep 4, 2018 7:15 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
If you're into romance in a gaming setting, I don't see why not.
Especially if you're a gamer who wishes to have a girlfriend/boyfriend whom accepts it and encourages you.

If you're not into romance, though, then it may not be that entertaining to you as the romance plays a huge part in this show.
Sep 4, 2018 10:51 AM

Feb 2017
SAO often feels as overhated as it does overpopular. I breifly scanned through your list and you've seen plenty as bad or worse. Thing is it's about an average anime, with a first half that even with it's poor ending really isn't much worse than shows like Overlord or at least the second season of log horizon. If you keep your expectations in check you might even unironically enjoy it. The second half is awful though but there's still easily worst stuff out there then that.
Sep 4, 2018 11:05 AM

May 2012
It is very entertaining, and one of the top anime out their. Don't listen to haters

BirthOfVenus said:
At least watch the first arc: the Aincrad arc. I think what initially made this anime popular is that when characters died in the game, they died in real life. But after that arc ended, it was no longer like that.

SAO II 1st arc had people who died as well
Sep 4, 2018 11:22 AM
Aug 2018
I personally enjoyed both seasons, and the movies. Didn't really find anything in the show that made me even dislike it.
Sep 4, 2018 11:22 AM

Feb 2010
It is not the worst anime ever. I does have some of the worst written villains in all of storytelling tho, I will vouch for that. Those villains are at least 70% of why I criticize the show, the other 30% being cringeworthy harem aspects being forced into the show despite MC getting a girlfriend early on, and that kind of shit just always makes me cringe. You can't appeal to the harem crowd and the girlfriend crowd at the same time, that's just bullshit that makes the other harem members pointless from the start while simultaneously demeaning the main romantic partner. It's just the author being greedy and wanting to pander to everyone at the same time, and I find that pathetic as well as an absolute failure.
Everything else about the show is at least 'okay' in my opinion, with some things actually being pretty enjoyable or interesting.

But imo despite its flaws, it can be somewhat enjoyable (the episodes where the villains go full on comically evil withholding). Everything I've watched from the show gave me mixed feelings. It was never completely garbage, as in no redeeming aspects at all, but it always has some parts that are just really, really bad. Though they get less frequent and offensive as the story goes on and the author improves a bit.

Overall I found it very easy to watch, even tho it's even easier to complain about it, so I would recommend people to check it out especially to beginners who might not notice the gaping flaws as much as I did, or who might not care so much about the show being inconsistent as fuck.

Personally I can't ignore the big issues the franchise has, but after getting over the initial disappointment of it not living up to what it could have been if the author had more writing talent instead of just being an ideas man, I managed to mostly focus on the enjoyable stuff and just kinda laugh off the hilariously bad villain that was once again the absolute lowlight of Season 2, so by now my attitude towards the show is mildly positive with me not taking it too seriously.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 4, 2018 11:39 AM

May 2009
81Koyomi_Araragi said:
It's just one of those popular anime I haven't watched and everyone seems to hate it. With a new season coming in fall this year I thought of giving it a try but a friend advised against it saying. "It's the worst anime ever". Now I can't really tell whether my friend really hates it or was just saying because it was popular thing to hate on SAO back when it aired. I've seen some clips and from that the animation and fights look good and calling it the worst ever seems to be an exaggeration. Is it something every anime fan should atleast give a try?
It's certainly not "the worst anime ever".

If anything, hating SAO has become a meme in itself.

From what I can tell, the actual hate (and not the part that's the hate-meme) seems to mostly stem from the following:
1a. SAO became really popular, particularly amongst younger viewers, bringing them into the anime fandom.
1b. Naturally, not everyone likes it, but with its massive popularity their voices are kinda drowned out.
2. A popular youtuber makes a commentary about how show has this-or-that-or-other flaws.
3. People who dislike it then sorta jump on the bandwagon as said popular youtuber has just validated their opinion. Part of it is backlash against its popularity, part of it is backlash against its fans, part of it is legitimate opinions of dissatisfaction with the show.

And then, subsequently:
4. Other people started jumping on the hatedom bandwagon. This eventually became another branch of the whole "elitist" vs. "casual" fight with people simply using the pro-SAO/anti-SAO banners as a proxy war for that.

FWIW, the "flaws" all basically relate to the story, from what I've heard, particularly how certain events/characters are handled in it. Far as I can tell, people still generally praise other aspects, such as the music and the animation.

So...in conclusion:

I think you should give it a try if you are curious about it. Don't go in expecting to love or hate it. Don't even go in expecting to be some sort of judge. Just let it take you where it goes.

Then at the end of that, you can say genuinely whether you enjoyed it or not.

In fact, I would particularly encourage you to try to avoid spoilers for the show as much as possible before watching it, but by this point it's probably not possible anymore if you even hang out around anime fandom communities for a few hours.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 4, 2018 11:46 AM

Nov 2008
Pullman said:
It is not the worst anime ever. I does have some of the worst written villains in all of storytelling tho, I will vouch for that.

Even as a die-hard fan, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. XD

Kayaba is all right.....the others are just.....bad.

Oh but I liked Eiji from the movie. He was actually sympathetic. Just a sad little boy who misses his girlfriend. :(

Sep 4, 2018 11:48 AM

Jun 2011
SAO is a wish fulfillment anime. You get to experience what it's like playing a VR game and have these flashy sword fights, controlling game UI with a touch/thought, etc. The story/characters may annoy the heck out of you though so treat it like a guilty pleasure.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 4, 2018 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
Forming your own opinion is always the good thing to do. In this era in which most people just blindlessy fanboy or hate something, being able to do such is a bliss.

The new upcoming season has some potential to redeem the series in my opinion.
Sep 4, 2018 12:15 PM

Dec 2012
Yes. Do it. You like Akame ga Kill. The odds of you hating SAO are very low.

Chiibi said:
Pullman said:
It is not the worst anime ever. I does have some of the worst written villains in all of storytelling tho, I will vouch for that.

Even as a die-hard fan, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. XD

Kayaba is all right.....the others are just.....bad.

Oh but I liked Eiji from the movie. He was actually sympathetic. Just a sad little boy who misses his girlfriend. :(
This is why Mother's Rosario is the best. It didn't need a villain (or Kirito for that matter).
Sep 4, 2018 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
yeah you should so you can become one of us,the haters
Sep 4, 2018 1:08 PM

Nov 2016
Everybody should watch at least the first season of SAO so that they can make up their OWN opinion of it instead of just saying its shit just because Digibrony or Mother's basement said it was shit like a Sheep.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2018 4:22 PM

Oct 2015
Bad? Yes. Worst? No. Enjoyable? A possible outcome for your experience.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Sep 4, 2018 4:24 PM

May 2009
Afloo said:
Everybody should watch at least the first season of SAO so that they can make up their OWN opinion of it instead of just saying its shit just because Digibrony or Mother's basement said it was shit like a Sheep.
Sorry, I dropped it after the first episode, for reasons completely unrelated to its present hatedom.

(Specifically, I dropped it because "trapped in a virtual world, but you die in real life" was a stupid premise in my opinion. Clearly that's something that even some haters like about it, so...)

I was nevertheless still curious about it, so I watched SAO II instead.

...I liked Sinon at least.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 4, 2018 4:29 PM

May 2016
Watch it, don’t be influenced by the mindless sheep.
Sep 4, 2018 4:31 PM

Apr 2018
I genuinely hate it with a passion but no, it's not the worst anime ever. (Yes, I have it as a 1, but that's due to personal reasons that I would rather not talk about xd)

It has a godtier soundtrack and some pretty good fights.
Imperio_nSep 4, 2018 4:36 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore?

Hango-Man - Apr 27

35 by DAMT34 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Apr 26, 4:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.