Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 8, 2016 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
nikolai131 said:
1 episode and already my favourite anime this season ^^ KyoAni is powah~

PS: for everyone who still believes this is yuri please go read the novels, thank you :)
Several people, including myself, are very curious what Naoko Yamada's definition of yuri is. I'd love to know what her thoughts are on the position of lesbian girls and women in Japanese society and hope she gets asked more follow up questions about her thoughts on portrayals of yuri in Japanese media in that context. Given her position could she speak freely about those topics? I’m quite certain her work invites the conversation and she is aware of that.

Selective excerpt from a translation of an interview with Ishihara and Yamada. She said the following about the mountain scenes in episode 8 of season 1:
"Yamada: That kind of late night sensation came during work on the storyboards. I very much enjoyed that “writing a love letter” feeling it had. Kumiko gradually appeared to look like a young boy during the mountain scenes. I thought “giving the feeling of a young boy falling in love one summer” would be nice. It’d be a “first” for Kumiko."
https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/animestyle-007-sound-euphonium-interview-director-tatsuya-ishihara-series-director-naoko-yamada-part-2/

It is hardly surprising that scenes composed as though writing a love letter were read as an actual love letter by a substantial portion of her audience. Myself included.

Why does Yamada feel the need to change Kumiko's gender in her description of the sentiments she is trying to convey? Is it perhaps because her conversation partners are both men and she wants to give them something they can identify with from their personal experience in a situation like that?
Whatever the reason for Yamada’s mental switch, Kumiko is not a young boy, however, and neither is Reina. What Yamada set out to portray was someone falling in love and she succeeded. Since they are both girls that makes those scenes yuri and that's how they will be remembered, by me and many others, regardless...

Movie spoiler:

Yuri is not my default expectation. I started watching this series because of the musical instruments in the promotional images, completely unaware of Takeda's novels as source material. My first thoughts about potential romantic relationships came when Shuuichi appeared on screen. More specifically when I saw Kumiko's reaction. My thoughts were something along these lines: "I hope this girl can reject this guy and is allowed to have meant it by the end of the series".

Thoughts of a potential yuri couple didn't come for me until episode three or perhaps five but probably not earlier than that. At some point I started looking to spoil myself, to confirm that what I thought I was seeing was what was meant to be depicted. I haven't read the novels. Only forum comments and translated excepts but I have been thoroughly spoiled on that aspect of the series.

Season two:
Some scenes in this first episode of the second season appear to have been created with that same emotion in mind as was expressed by Yamada about the creation of episode 8 of season 1 in the translation of that interview. I can see those scenes at the Uji fireworks as not romantic - as signs of friendship- but it takes effort and it is not my default position anymore to see their relationship as platonic, despite the spoilers. On first look I see those too as signs of infatuation. As signs of falling in love and, here too, I think it is deliberate.

In that same episode 8, a boy, Shuuichi, rejects a girl, Hazuki, and is allowed mean it. The girl, Kumiko, rejects a boy, but is not. Kumiko's rebuffs -we are told- will not be lasting. That too is troubling to me. Her feelings of first love were -per Yamada's thoughts on episode 8- for a girl but she'll eventually succumb to the charms of the boy ... or does Kumiko revert to her former self? Does she eventually give up resisting in the face of his relentless pursuit of her. Does she arrive at a point when continuing to reject him becomes more tiring and troublesome than entering into the relationship he desires? That's what it looks like to me... For the moment, being charmed has very little to do with it. As many commenters before me, I know where we’ll supposedly end up but I don’t see how we’ll get there and they’ve one less episode to convince me that we should end up there.

Would those girls consider that their mutual attraction can be as romantic as the language -and settings- of their interactions - if they lived in a society which doesn't by default portray a lesbian relationships as one without a future, as undesirable beyond a certain age?

I don't a-priori reject a teacher student relationship either. In the sense that I don't a-priori reject Reina's feelings for Taki-sensei. I think they are quite genuine. It doesn't change the attraction I see between her and Kumiko for me. These attractions can exist simultaneously. I find the relationship between the two girls still more compelling at the moment. Despite what I've been told about the novels. According to novel spoilers, the man, Taki, is the one who does the rejecting as well. It isn’t just about the Yuri. The boys and men appear to have all the agency and the girls appear to be at their mercy… but perhaps that interpretation too is the result of my faulty perception.

I don’t have to like these aspect of the story… I may be further disappointed about these issues but I’d rather be foolishly optimistic … for the moment there is enough pay off to keep watching, even for the yuri angle.
Oct 8, 2016 2:51 AM

Feb 2013
Lawli-Pop said:
Man I sincerely love all these discussions

Original post [x]

This is gold lol

Love the "its such a forced ship" ayy lmao if some people think that, then What are their thoughts on kumiko and shuuichi? "They're not totally a cliché pairings at all" lol

Oct 8, 2016 3:09 AM

Aug 2008
@VersoSciolto I started watching the series because I instantly fell in love with the franchise after the 1st novel, and I had no doubt in my mind that the series will turn out great. And as we all know the novels are everything but yuri.

For me what the anime has showed us so far is the beautiful and innocent friendship of two girls that grows more and more as the story develops.

As for KyoAni and Naoko Yamada, as well all know from their novel/light novel adaptations they may step out for a bit to try out new things (aka anime original material) and put other out of context for a short while, but they will never jump as far as to change the core of the story and it's characters. And I highly doubt they will do that with Euphonium now.

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Oct 8, 2016 5:31 AM

Jun 2008
Marina2 said:
Phaetons_Folly said:
I'm really starting to get pretty pissed off that the anime hasn't explained why all those second-years quit, because the drama it caused is pretty ridiculous. The fact they aren't willing to let a girl back into the club when she is clearly trying hard to get back in is raising some serious red flags. There is bad blood in the club to the point where it feels like someone stole someone's boyfriend. What I hate most about this drama is that I don't even know if they were right to quit. There are times where the right decision is to quit.

Anime already explained that in ep.7 of the first season. What they still don't explain here is why they don't let Nozomi back into the band.
The episode didn't go into the full detail. We know they quit but we don't know what really happened. I expect to see a flashback in the next few episodes because the Nozomi issue won't go away for a while.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 8, 2016 7:38 AM

Nov 2007
VersoSciolto said:
The boys and men appear to have all the agency and the girls appear to be at their mercy… but perhaps that interpretation too is the result of my faulty perception.

Attempting to deconstruct the given information to come up with a theory or an idea is great and I appreciate your thought-process. However, I am not too sure about being judgmental on what has been shown to us thus far. Things can change instantly if certain incidents are revealed. I firmly believe the perceptions of many will change when Shuuchi and Taki-sensei's bits are thrown into the mix. I am sure KyoAni will do that. There was a reason why certain things were included in season 1 which got overlooked, and the opening sequences of season 2 also give hints that some of those things will be touched in this season again. Until then, I would advise all of us to try not to be judgemental based on gender.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 8, 2016 8:09 AM
Mar 2015
Wow, I am quite surprise 1st episode is 47 minute. What a nice surprise from KyoAni

Somehow, it got melancholic tone yet quite relaxing at same time. Definitely anime of the season contender.

Go National. Go KumikoxReina!
Oct 8, 2016 11:00 AM

Feb 2012
Marina2 said:
Phaetons_Folly said:
I'm really starting to get pretty pissed off that the anime hasn't explained why all those second-years quit, because the drama it caused is pretty ridiculous. The fact they aren't willing to let a girl back into the club when she is clearly trying hard to get back in is raising some serious red flags. There is bad blood in the club to the point where it feels like someone stole someone's boyfriend. What I hate most about this drama is that I don't even know if they were right to quit. There are times where the right decision is to quit.

Anime already explained that in ep.7 of the first season. What they still don't explain here is why they don't let Nozomi back into the band.

If the explanation provided in ep 7 was adequate then you wouldn't have the first years trying to figure out what happened now. We know what the firsts years know, and they know there is much more going on. Kumiko's outsider opinion is that the Nozomi should be allowed back into the band shows the explanation provided before is nowhere near adequate to explain the current situation. The truth will come out eventually, but I'm willing to bet it mainly comes from high schoolers acting like idiots.
Oct 8, 2016 1:58 PM

May 2016
I know that I'm super late to comment but...

I swear I heard Super Smash Bros 4 theme at 35:42, NO KIDING
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 8, 2016 2:37 PM

May 2016
Lol, all those salty people cuz the yuri is just a tease and i'm like, WHATEVER! Even if it's not yuri its still a beautiful friendship, and it also means that they'll continue to be that way with each other even after they find boyfriends...People should stop watching this anime only for the yuri tease and actually try to watch it for the plot too...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 8, 2016 3:48 PM

Feb 2015
shanimebib said:
Btw, my babies will be in their mizugis in the next episode. ❤ ///Nosebleeds/// ❤

This is heaven, isn't it? And don't tell me the left one is Asuka-shi? WITHOUT GLASSES?
Oct 8, 2016 10:11 PM

Sep 2013
^ NOPE. Just no way, Best girl isnt allowed to leave.

Asuka and Kousaka..(aside from the yuri) are my main reasons for watching this.. they are great performers, mysterious...and they are such bitches, but I love the way they are. No to drama.
Oct 9, 2016 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
KyoAni made a beautiful episode. The details and the backgrounds are well detailed as usual. It was nice to see the team who failed the selection, play and show their new skills.
Reina and Kumiko interactions are the best.
Oct 9, 2016 8:04 AM

Nov 2007
AstralDogma said:
and their yukatas were very cute.

I know, right?! And they are going to be in their swimsuits! OMG! I don't think I will be able to watch that episode without using the pause button! HNNNG! I am going to create wallpapers out of the coming episode! And the best part is this is from the novel (not anime only, you know, the obligatory pool/onsen/beach episodes that come midway in almost every anime? They even had one in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which made me wonder what was the point of having one!)

AstralDogma said:
I haven't read the novels, but so far in the anime Shuichi is a completely useless and boring character. You could easily remove him from the show without missing anything major. So far he only exists to be a potential obligatory childhood love interest.

You are absolutely right on that. My Reina also pointed out that spineless guys are useless. He is like that in the novel as well, hmm... Also, the love interest is obviously from Shuuichi's side and has nothing to do with Kumiko since she sees him as a major bother, at least visibly if I may add. Can't he just take a darn notice that she is uninterested?! He may all well date Hazuki for all she cares. Talk about being a nuisance.

AstralDogma said:
Plus, I love it when people use the argument "But Reina likes Taki!" because Reina is a 15-year-old girl with onesided small crush on a teacher who is in his... 30's? Do you seriously believe that would work out?

But the one sided small crush you mentioned is the thing that bugged me though. You think a small crush is enough for her to decide on a high school with no musical pedigree in years instead of going to one of the famous ones that always go to the Nationals given her talent and her love for music?

I had decided not to say anything anymore when it comes to the romance in this anime. But I couldn't resist! I applaud you for challenging my resolve. :)
Coronavirus.
Oct 9, 2016 9:00 AM
Jul 2013
I'm fairly confident that the anime will go the Yuri route as well as the novels. The only characters that have been involved in Hibike's romance, one-sided or otherwise, are Hazuki, Shuichi, Kumiko, Reina and Taki. That's 5 characters, and 2 potential romantic relationships, so someone has to be excluded, assuming a sixth character isn't introduced. If Shuichi ended up with Kumiko and Reina ended up with Taki (forgetting for a moment how ridiculous Reina x Taki is in the first place) then Reina is the one that doesn't end up with anybody. Reina- the co-protagonist of the series? If anyone was to be excluded surely it would be Taki? Kumiko dating Reina (and leaving Shuichi in the novels) opens up the possibility for Hazuki x Shuichi to be re-explored, but If anyone would care to explain how Hazuki asking Shuichi out serves any purpose if not to be of significance at a later date, be my guest.
Of course, I have nothing against Shuichi shippers, you can ship Taki and Sapphire for all I care, but the reasons I've seen circulating for why Kumiko x Reina "isn't possible" all seem pretty ridiculous.
Oct 9, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2011
Great the show is back, not really sure if the first ep needed to be 48 mins though. Nice Reina-Kumiko moments.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 9, 2016 9:21 AM

Nov 2007
@FunkyNano: The novel has already ended. Volume 3 is the official final volume of the novel and volume 4 is a list of anecdotes that connect the bits and pieces from volume 1 to 3.

As for Hazuki confessing to Shuuichi, re-watch episode 8 of season 1 and try to pay careful attention between time-stamp 00:09:00 and 00:10:20.
Coronavirus.
Oct 9, 2016 9:21 AM

Apr 2015
Took me too long. I hate double episodes

The first half was slightly hard to watch because the events in it were a bit too important for an opener. The second half clicked back into rhythm though

Kumiko's voice tone is slightly different I think, dunno if it's a permanent switch. Reina seems a more lively character this time around, I think I'm warming up a bit towards her

I still don't like Asuka. Never did and probably never will

I didn't intend to give this particular episode 8+ but FFS they aced the hanabi scenes and I can't resist. Fuck me, that was a TVA...

FunkyNano said:
I'm fairly confident that the anime will go the Yuri route as well as the novels. The only characters that have been involved in Hibike's romance, one-sided or otherwise, are Hazuki, Shuichi, Kumiko, Reina and Taki. That's 5 characters, and 2 potential romantic relationships, so someone has to be excluded, assuming a sixth character isn't introduced. If Shuichi ended up with Kumiko and Reina ended up with Taki (forgetting for a moment how ridiculous Reina x Taki is in the first place) then Reina is the one that doesn't end up with anybody. Reina- the co-protagonist of the series? If anyone was to be excluded surely it would be Taki? Kumiko dating Reina (and leaving Shuichi in the novels) opens up the possibility for Hazuki x Shuichi to be re-explored, but If anyone would care to explain how Hazuki asking Shuichi out serves any purpose if not to be of significance at a later date, be my guest.
Of course, I have nothing against Shuichi shippers, you can ship Taki and Sapphire for all I care, but the reasons I've seen circulating for why Kumiko x Reina "isn't possible" all seem pretty ridiculous.

You don't 'have' to pair up the characters you know...
LanzOct 9, 2016 9:26 AM
Oct 9, 2016 10:11 AM

Jul 2015
Really good start.
The yuri bait is stronger than before.
Of course I ship Kumiko x Reina. They will be a really cute couple
The animation is beautiful as always and so many beautiful scene. Even the side characters are drawn so pretty like the main characters.
Honestly, I really love Kumiko's voice and her terrible personality as always.
I am surprised when I found out that Reina and Merry (from Grimgar) has the same voice actress

5/5 from me
WhyZigleOct 9, 2016 10:25 AM
Oct 9, 2016 10:56 AM
Jul 2013
shanimebib said:
@FunkyNano: The novel has already ended. Volume 3 is the official final volume of the novel and volume 4 is a list of anecdotes that connect the bits and pieces from volume 1 to 3.

As for Hazuki confessing to Shuuichi, re-watch episode 8 of season 1 and try to pay careful attention between time-stamp 00:09:00 and 00:10:20.

Oh really? I had no idea. I assumed it was ongoing. Doesn't bother me too much either way, I like Reina and Shuichi.
Oct 9, 2016 2:13 PM

Feb 2014
Heitokun said:
19Pyro90 said:

screw the novels. Do you not see how they light up when they look into each others eyes? The constant playful flirtatious teasing? The way they held hands at the festival? Their very obvious chemistry together? For all intents and purposes they may as well be yuri in the anime and Reina's supposed crush for Taki may as well be a front because shes a shy girl and afraid to come out of the closet.

Kumiko is the ONLY one who looks at Reina that way, for some stupid reason she blushes like an idiot at Reina. Whether she is a lesbian or not, it's not the problem here, why the hell must they change the story from the source material to pander to lesbian loving otakus. I woud be okay with it IF it were canon on the novels, but it's not, it came out of nowhere and they relegated suuichi to an idiot who can't even be a proper man just so they could turn the story into a Yuri/slice of life/music anime, it's bullshit of the highest caliber, but whatever...

Nice signature by the way.

Not all anime stay 100% true to its source material, this is known. Also I dont think its just lesbian otakus that are making a big deal out of this. They made the bait pretty tasty in the first season so a lot of people latched on and at this point a lot of people just feel they need to follow through. There are plenty of ways to show female friendship but this show definitely crossed way passed the "just friends" line a long time ago.

Also thank you. I like your sig as well that was one of my favorite eps from Re:Zero. Lastly, Rem is love, Rem is life.
Around and around the cycle goes.
Oct 9, 2016 2:18 PM

Oct 2011
Everyone is back a&hhh😢
Reina x Kumiko
Oct 9, 2016 4:44 PM

May 2010
Well, it was alright. Maybe a little dull and slightly underwhelming, but hey, this is just the first episode. I'm waiting for some story related to Asuka, she continues being quite mysterious.
Also, new opening and ending are pretty cool, but I still like previous ones better. Maybe I will change my opinion after a few episodes though, who knows.

Eh, it was 47 minutes long episode, and I barely have anything to write about. That sums up what I think about it I guess.
Oct 9, 2016 5:41 PM

Jan 2014
I hope once they reveal the drama it isn't shit and it's at least decent.
Oct 9, 2016 10:08 PM
Apr 2015
Kagami said:
Very strong start, but is to be expected with this anime.

I thought the beginning of season 1 was pretty boring, glad that the beginning of season 2 isn't.
Oct 10, 2016 7:44 PM
Oct 2015
shanimebib said:
Btw, my babies will be in their mizugis in the next episode. ❤ ///Nosebleeds/// ❤

Ok yes, I'm excited to see the girls in there bikinis too I wont lie. But BUT and I hope the more informed fan then I can help me out here. From what I have heard, Yamada is less hands on since she was tied up w/ Koe no Katachi. If this is true and Ishihara is primarily in control my fear is he will butcher this season. Episode 1 was wonderful but b/c this is a pool episode which in season 1 didn't seem like something that would ever be a thing I'm already scared. Also this might just be me but everything in the PV for the second episode screamed Ishihara. What I mean by that is the color palette just looks like an Ishihara show (reminiscent of phantom world) so my fear after seeing that PV has only gotten worse. Is Yamada not really working on the show much this season and should I be worried about this season not living up to season 1.
Oct 10, 2016 8:37 PM
Dec 2015
I was worried that this would try to cash in on the people obsessed with the whole "yuri bait" thing (even though that was an incredible way to show how the emotional and physical distance between Kumiko and Reina got less and less as the show progressed) but thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised by how amazing this was. The art and animation is as gorgeous as ever, the chemistry between Kumiko and Reina feels very genuine, and I'm already interested in the drama introduced. It is clear how much the atmosphere of the band has changed since the first season, and it perfectly captures both the passion and family aspects of my own high school band experience. I love the new characters too. This has been by far the best first episode of the year for me so far, and I'm extremely hyped to see where this season will take me next. Has the potential to be my AOTY.
Oct 10, 2016 8:37 PM

Nov 2007
MikeFromThe516 said:
shanimebib said:

Ok yes, I'm excited to see the girls in there bikinis too I wont lie. But BUT and I hope the more informed fan then I can help me out here. From what I have heard, Yamada is less hands on since she was tied up w/ Koe no Katachi. If this is true and Ishihara is primarily in control my fear is he will butcher this season. Episode 1 was wonderful but b/c this is a pool episode which in season 1 didn't seem like something that would ever be a thing I'm already scared. Also this might just be me but everything in the PV for the second episode screamed Ishihara. What I mean by that is the color palette just looks like an Ishihara show (reminiscent of phantom world) so my fear after seeing that PV has only gotten worse. Is Yamada not really working on the show much this season and should I be worried about this season not living up to season 1.

I can see the reason for your concern but that is not the case.

First of all, you cannot judge Ishihara by Musaigen because he directed masterpieces like Disappearance, After Story and Nichijou and worked on storyboard of K-On! the Movie and TLS. He and Yamada have been involved in almost everything that has been great about KyoAni.

Secondly, Yamada is still involved. The rumours are unfounded as there is no news regarding that form Kyoto Animation's side or any official tweets.

And finally, this is not anime original. As I have mentioned in one of my previous posts in this page, the pool story is directly taken from the novel. The early signs are there and as it seems the anime will closely follow the novel (probably all of vol.2 and some bits from vol. 3).

So, rest assured. :)
Coronavirus.
Oct 10, 2016 8:39 PM
Dec 2015
MikeFromThe516 said:
shanimebib said:

I don't believe that Yamada did a lot for season 1 either. It was mostly Ishihara too.
Oct 10, 2016 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
From the PV for the next episode it looks like:
removed-userOct 10, 2016 10:11 PM
Oct 10, 2016 10:24 PM
Jul 2018
nikolai131 said:
@VersoSciolto I started watching the series because I instantly fell in love with the franchise after the 1st novel, and I had no doubt in my mind that the series will turn out great. And as we all know the novels are everything but yuri.

For me what the anime has showed us so far is the beautiful and innocent friendship of two girls that grows more and more as the story develops.

As for KyoAni and Naoko Yamada, as well all know from their novel/light novel adaptations they may step out for a bit to try out new things (aka anime original material) and put other out of context for a short while, but they will never jump as far as to change the core of the story and it's characters. And I highly doubt they will do that with Euphonium now.

Your original comment on page one of this thread was probably posted as a warning about the ending but I think you'll agree when I say that Ayano Takeda's Euphonium novels too deal with girl on girl attractions. Whatever people’s expectations may be for finding yuri in her novels these are not unreasonable based on how she herself introduced these characters and their story. I find it doubtful that her intentions are merely misunderstood.

The following passages come from Larethian's English translation of the first chapter of the first novel:
"Kaori-senpai is really kind."
Sapphire nodded in admiration. That's a given, Asuka puffed out her chest for some reason.
"She's the Madonna of our band. She's already popular."
"Popular...... with who by the way?"
Even though she already could guess without asking, she still asked timidly.
"What're you talking about, of course with the girls."
Asuka replied with a chortle. I see, Kumiko nodded with an evasive smile.

That's the set up, a conversation with which Takeda gives herself the opportunity to put the following thoughts into Kumiko's head:
A concert band is a kind of special environment. Basically, the ratio of male to female is one is to nine, to put it strictly, the proportion of girls is often much more. And in such an environment, idolization of the same sex occurs. When this happens, those who become the envy of others and the subject of passionate gazes are either extremely feminine lovely girls, or girls who give off a masculine cool aura. Unfortunately, the guys in concert bands seldom get regarded as guys, and as such do not receive this sort of idolization. This is the reason why they do not get girlfriends despite being in an environment with lots of girls around them...... this was the personal opinion that Kumiko had.

A nice bookshelf can be filled with yuri volumes written by people who’ve taken their cues from such divisions. Replace the confines of concert band with the cloistered realm of an all-girl boarding school and it looks a lot like the template for quite a few classic yuri and lesbian fiction.

In other words, despite protestations from novel fans, it was not just the animation staff who took it upon themselves to include some suggestive scenes and -inadvertently- created -unexpected- room for such impressions and yuri speculation. It is not as though none such room existed in the novels.

As I said before, I've only read a tiny bit in translation and my own impressions of that source material come mostly through what was posted in various forum comments but although the animation staff employed different techniques to deal with the source material there is no doubt in my mind that Takeda too -imo knowingly- invites the yuri discussion. Does that make the novels yuri? To answer that as a yes or no question seems to me a rather limited way of looking at it. Will Kumiko become Shuuichi’s girlfriend in the novels? That can obviously be answered quite specifically and that was probably what you hinted at with your first comment but …If the story was not meant to be fuel for these conversations then such passages as those quoted above would not have been included - and for the sake of clarity let me also reconfirm that I’m not suggesting that the entire band is gay.

If adaptation doesn’t result in lesbian relationships of any kind it will nevertheless provide the opportunity to make some girl in band somewhere aware that her crush on her favourite female trumpet player doesn’t need to translate into settling for -and with- the conveniently available male trombone who always seems to manage sliding in there somehow - at most inconvenient moments. Whether she comes in the form of the -chaste- madonna or as a seifuku disguised snow woman -seductress- of these interpretations, in the end perhaps matters less than pointing out that there are other options. If that does not become explicitly clear in the actual series then all the more reason to point out the alternative routes in comment sections. To offer counter for the “reassurances” for concerned parents, if perhaps not the kids themselves, that their daughters will emerge “normal” from puberty in such environments…. which seems to be what Takeda was aiming for by including the passage quoted above but not letting any of the girls seemingly attracted to each other end up as a couple.

If the animated series manages to avoid that exclusive angle, I would already consider it a victory but I’m holding out for more and I’ll be here for the duration no matter what happens to this element of the story.
removed-userOct 10, 2016 10:29 PM
Oct 10, 2016 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
VersoSciolto said:
The boys and men appear to have all the agency and the girls appear to be at their mercy… but perhaps that interpretation too is the result of my faulty perception.

Attempting to deconstruct the given information to come up with a theory or an idea is great and I appreciate your thought-process. However, I am not too sure about being judgmental on what has been shown to us thus far. Things can change instantly if certain incidents are revealed. I firmly believe the perceptions of many will change when Shuuchi and Taki-sensei's bits are thrown into the mix. I am sure KyoAni will do that. There was a reason why certain things were included in season 1 which got overlooked, and the opening sequences of season 2 also give hints that some of those things will be touched in this season again. Until then, I would advise all of us to try not to be judgemental based on gender.
I agree that perceptions can change as more of a story is revealed but some things can't change anymore. Not everything which led me to that line of thought about gender divisions is related to romance either, btw. There is for example the fact that Shuuchi was allowed by the writers to change his instrument - he no longer toots his horn but slipped into a seat Kumiko would have liked among the trombones. She is relegated once more to the eupho. Part of her arc and growth, no doubt.

We are also told that the concert band had been more successful in the past, when Taki's father -male- was at the helm. The band slipped in quality and into chaos when Matsumoto, the rather unsympathetically introcudced -female- interim advisor and the female band president -Haruka- took over but fortunately the son of Taki -male- is here to restore them to glory. Under his influence the -female- music teacher also apparently mellows.
Perhaps being pre-judgmental is the wrong approach but gender issues do play a role in this series and I don't think it is wrong to try to raise the point in these conversations.

Taking the opportunity to highlight this bit again, from the English translation of Yamada's description of the creative thought process behind scenes in the pivotal episode 8.
I thought “giving the feeling of a young boy falling in love one summer” would be nice. It’d be a “first” for Kumiko."

Why does Yamada switch Kumiko's gender in those sentences? What, in her mind, is different about a boy experiencing first love compared to a girl going through that experience for the first time? I for one have been very curious about that switch for a while now.

Overlooked? That can also be a matter of perception. Overlooked, In the sense that it should be fairly obvious to pretty much everyone but is rarely, if ever, mentioned?
… or ...
seemingly overlooked, in the sense that it will become obvious only in "hindsight" - perhaps something noticeable based on what you already know about the future based on what you've read in the novels? In the latter case it might be better to say it is a foreshadowing or clue which might be picked up by the more perceptive but I have the impression you mean the former sense of overlooked. So... what have we missed? Will you elaborate on the more cryptic parts of your comments at some point when we're further along into this second season?
removed-userOct 10, 2016 11:18 PM
Oct 10, 2016 11:39 PM

Nov 2007
VersoSciolto said:
From the PV for the next episode it looks like:

But she is in high school so they should be *bigger*, no? I fell in love with her the moment she appeared in front of the mirror in her room [season 1, episode 1]. :)

VersoSciolto said:

Overlooked? That can also be a matter of perception. Overlooked, In the sense that it should be fairly obvious to pretty much everyone but is rarely, if ever, mentioned?
… or ...
seemingly overlooked, in the sense that it will become obvious only in "hindsight" - perhaps something noticeable based on what you already know about the future based on what you've read in the novels? In the latter case it might be better to say it is a foreshadowing or clue which might be picked up by the more perceptive but I have the impression you mean the former sense of overlooked. So... what have we missed? Will you elaborate on the more cryptic parts of your comments at some point when we're further along into this second season?

I will revisit this comment when it would be covered in the anime (hopefully, if vol.3 is touched at all). I promise you that (*takes a note). I actually did mention it many times back in the past, so I will not go further into discussion until it resurfaces (as I have mentioned under the spoiler tag.). I have also said that we are all allowed to enjoy the anime the way we want until something concrete happens. Instead of using the term "overlooked", perhaps more appropriate use of words would have been "gone unnoticed". But I am not entirely sure on that either, because some of us are dead-set to not see them even if they are presented through logical discussion.

If I am to give a hint, I will just say that:
shanimebibOct 10, 2016 11:46 PM
Coronavirus.
Oct 11, 2016 4:35 AM

Jul 2015
This really didn't need a second season. It so didn't need a second season, but here it is, and here I am enjoying it a whole lot. First episode and the entire thing felt... slow... but we got plenty of yuri vibes from the two main girls, and for some reason, I felt really giddy when the girls that didn't make it played their little celebratory tune. The new teacher dude is pretty entertaining, but he ain't as cool as glasses. Overall a pretty good episode and it made me feel happy.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 11, 2016 1:24 PM

Apr 2016
I agree that Shuichi is not really useful for the plot. That's mainly Reina who gave Kumiko the motivation to improve.

AstralDogma said:

Putting Shuichi and Kumiko together all of sudden is just bad writing, they haven't had any build up whatsoever. Unlike Kumiko and Reina.

We already got positive development during season 1 for the relationship between Shuichi and Kumiko and this "all of sudden" of yours is a bit "too soon" since the story goes on, ... slowly, and we don't know what's coming, when, how and above all how fast. I will shout "bad writing" with you if it ever happens, so far, I (we) have no reason to do so (on that specific matter).

Kumiko and Reina's relationship is beautiful too though.
Oct 11, 2016 3:27 PM
Apr 2014
It's soo weird this isn't categorized as Shoujo-ai anywhere oO I thought the same about the first season already but this time it was in just one episode so many times already.

That aside... Interesting start. I hope so much they won't let that girl join again. Well she probably would be allowed to if she wouldn't ask for Azusa's approval. I mean, seriously, what does that look like? She was pissed because of whatever the fuck happened and quit. Then the next year the club won a competition and now she wants to join again. Doesn't even matter if she says she does not want to participate in the competitions. It's still inappropriate. If this was any other scenario it wouldn't even be a problem tbh but simply the fact that they take part in competitions makes this serious business. Try to do that in a company and unless the company needs more people they'll laugh at you(not officially but let's be honest here) for that shitty decision you made on a whim.

Also for some reason Reina's behavior felt quite uncharacteristic but maybe it's just been too long since the first season for me to remember correctly how it ended >.>
Oct 11, 2016 7:28 PM

Feb 2013
Sweet!!! I am excited!!!!
Oct 12, 2016 8:15 AM
Oct 2016
Why there are so much lesbos o.0 so sad to see a good anime rudi ed by The Yuri fanservice. But i guess everyone Seems to be homosexual so atleast glad they are enjoying it.
Oct 12, 2016 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
Man Kumiko is kind of a bitch to my man Shuuichi. I wish we got some information as to why they are like that. I know they're friends but does she know he obviously want's to be more then friends and she just acts that way, or is that just her personality?

Either way the Yuri is stronger then ever. I also prefer the background romances then any other IE Gotou x Riko
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 12, 2016 12:57 PM

Apr 2016
SoraSenpai said:
Man Kumiko is kind of a bitch to my man Shuuichi. I wish we got some information as to why they are like that. I know they're friends but does she know he obviously want's to be more then friends and she just acts that way, or is that just her personality?

In first season Kumiko recalled that Shuuichi in middle school once acted like a dick toward her. Since then, she ignored him (even though less and less) and Shuuichi is still paying for his own stupidity. On the other hand, her simple lack of interest might be another part of the explanation.
Oct 12, 2016 2:56 PM
Oct 2015
GamerUnglued said:
MikeFromThe516 said:

I don't believe that Yamada did a lot for season 1 either. It was mostly Ishihara too.

Nahhh man for S1 Ishihara was more like an overseer. Yamada was charged with Series Director and was more hands on with the team and basically in control. For example episode 8 you know that episode, that was all Yamada.
Oct 12, 2016 3:00 PM
Dec 2015
MikeFromThe516 said:
GamerUnglued said:

Nahhh man for S1 Ishihara was more like an overseer. Yamada was charged with Series Director and was more hands on with the team and basically in control. For example episode 8 you know that episode, that was all Yamada.
To my knowledge Ishihara was the main director, and Yamada was in charge of episode direction and series production. I'm not saying that she didn't have an effect on the series, but I believe that the main director has more say in the final product than any of Yamada's roles. Tell me if I am wrong though.
Oct 12, 2016 9:03 PM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
SoraSenpai said:

In first season Kumiko recalled that Shuuichi in middle school once acted like a dick toward her. Since then, she ignored him (even though less and less) and Shuuichi is still paying for his own stupidity. On the other hand, her simple lack of interest might be another part of the explanation.

> A middle school boy in his adolescence and has a one-sided crush
> His crush comes up and asks in front of his male friends if he would be coming over to her place for dinner like usual
> The boy is put in a dire situation by an innocent question
> The boy fears to be found out and being showered with teases by his male friends
> He tells his crush an ugly in front of everyone and not to talk to him to save himself from the onslaught he foresaw from his friends
> And now he pays the price.

We move on.

The last thing I want to hear is someone blaming my Kumiko. She has a terrible personality but when it comes to Shuuichi, you can't blame her.
Coronavirus.
Oct 12, 2016 9:38 PM

Jun 2015
Pleasantly surprised by long episode, I didn't know it would be extended! Great re-introduction to the characters and their personalities, animation is on-point as expected. Already we have some dramas starting up which should lead to some interesting conflict later on. I think Kumiko's personality changes between her family and friends is hilarious and cute xD

As for KumiRei? All I can say is holy crap are they adorable together. It's all up to you, KyoAni. The fate of Yuri this season is in your sly, baity, slippery hands.

Oct 13, 2016 5:34 PM

Aug 2015
Anyone know the name of the piece performed by the Minami middle school concert band,which they failed on?That flute music piece?
Oct 13, 2016 6:52 PM

Aug 2012
-Is this episode actually 48 minutes long
-I didn't like S2's OP too much when I first heard it, but it's kinda growing on me now
-Scene immediately following the OP was behind the scenes of the final shot of the first season, which was kinda fitting
-Wait, this is an adaptation of a light novel, of course it starts from there
-Hey it's that new girl from the PV and OP
-Haruka crying at the team Monaka performance was adorable
-Reina sounds different
-Green sapphire is adorable as always
-Apparently the eyecatches this time around are scales rather than tuning notes
-Mizore girl outright ignores Kumiko
-This Hashimoto dude seems cool
-Turns out the girl that Kumiko caught a glimpse of after the group picture was one of the deserters
-Seems like Goto's extremely opposed to having the Nozomi girl rejoin
-The Kumiko-Reina and Mizore-Yuuko scene was wonderfully awkward
-Yeah the Hashimoto guy's a pretty great addition to the cast
-Mizore's VA did the scene on the stairs pretty spectacularly, actually. Most notably when she took a breath in and it wavered a bunch.
-Festival scene at the end serves to reestablish Reina's character

Seems like the first arc of this season is gonna be directly related to Mizore and Nozomi, which already seems like it's gonna be interesting since I find the desertion incident to be interesting. It didn't get much screentime other than what Natsuki provided last season, either. The new characters also seem pretty interesting individually, and this season is continuing with giving the spotlight to the band as a whole with its substance. The scene with Mizore on the stairs toward the end was probably my favorite part of the episode because of how simple and effective it was, though, and it was reminiscent of some of the best parts of the first season.

Pretty nice first episode to be sort of like a refresher to the situation and characters at Kitauji. I don't recall it having any overly empty moments like some episodes in the first season did, and it had some of the best elements of the first season incorporated into it.
Oct 14, 2016 12:50 AM

Oct 2008
what an excellent Season 2 starter with 47 mins of ep1!
Kumiko & Reina so sweet with each other holding hands damn yuri overtones!
5/5!

Oct 14, 2016 5:31 AM

Oct 2012
1st episode and it's Nakamura Yuuichi.. It's too much happiness for me in one episode xD

Yoroizuka is just like the old Reina... A lot

As always Kumiko & Reina looks so sweet together, so romantic xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 14, 2016 3:42 PM
Sep 2016
This episode had a great start! Really enjoyed this episode. The OP was alright,the previous opening on the last season was better imo.
Oct 15, 2016 2:06 AM

Mar 2016
I didn't realize it was 47 mins.
No regret, really good animation and story.
I hope they end it with Kumiko x Shuuichi route.
Oct 16, 2016 6:59 PM

Jun 2016
Dows somebody know what is the music at 24min30 of the episode ? Such a beautiful song ! Thanks !

And the ep was great !
The reaction and the choice of dialogue line are really well done.
Prout
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.