Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2016 12:08 AM

Sep 2013
Let the yuri ship sails once again!
Shirobako is AOTY 2015. Deal with it.
Oct 6, 2016 12:11 AM

Sep 2008
I absolutely loved the first season. However, for an one-hour-long special the first episode of the second season was a little bit too slow paced in my opinion. I got bored at some points... wished for more music.

Anyway, still happy that the girls are back <3
Oct 6, 2016 12:13 AM

Nov 2015
This was my only true "must watch" of the Autumn cour and while I really enjoyed the episode, I definitely had forgotten a lot of the internal band drama.

I was also a bit confused about what went down at the hanabi matsuri when Reina got seriously pissed at those two guys. I mean, I get that she may be very territorial about her girlfriend (and seriously this is totally yuri territory so I don't think it's just a tease). But I feel like the translation was off...

Otherwise, I really loved the scenes with the oboist and it made me think of this piece, which is one of the greatest works featuring that instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jEpsgpPLQ&list=PLabSmKXr9e_egPkBZdczfeF86VtdKLmRN&index=4
delta5Oct 6, 2016 12:21 AM
Oct 6, 2016 12:15 AM

Oct 2016
damn that episode .. Kumiko x Reina ship continues to sail

Oct 6, 2016 12:36 AM
Jul 2016
animefan8800 said:
MoeGod said:

To be fair we don't really know what actually happened in the past. For it to create such trauma, I doubt it's something as simple as quitting. There's also the timing issue. Asking to join back after they won the local competition is just asking for suspicions of glory hunting. As for Reina, I think she just wants the team to be filled with people who are focused and strong mentally in order to really get to the national competition. Adding a potentially disruptive member could destroy the little harmony they've already built as a team, not to mention unnecessary drama.

Your right about needing more details. And the show definitely wants us to keep the glory hunting thing in mind as a possibility, though Nozomi's apparent sincerity and outright oath to not try and play competitively make me think it's a red herring, the glory hunting thing. I believe her, for now at least, and this outright rejection is too cold and narrow-minded for my liking. Reina fits that description perfectly too right now. At what point does it become acceptable for winning to override humanity?

Remember how Mizore even got into panic attack hearing Nozomi's flute play? Something pretty bad probably have been happening in the past, moreover it seems they're a close friend before she's quitting. Nozomi was the one who told Mizore to get the gold on highschool but somehow she's the one quitting instead. It's cruel but as a leader would you put one person in with the risk of ruining the whole group down? Moreover the timing is pretty much awkward, in the middle of term and right when they're going into extensive practice for a prestigious competitions. Though I admit Reina's point of view indeed feels haughty, it's pretty much because she's obsessed with music she can't understand people who choose to quit, I personally don't like it since I'm pretty much a lax person but I get why she think like that.
CryarcOct 6, 2016 12:54 AM
Oct 6, 2016 12:40 AM

Jul 2015
The yuri bait is so strong with this one <3
Reina just imprinted Kumiko in front of Shuuichi lol

Loving that ED! Oh and TRUE is back for the OP

Oct 6, 2016 12:47 AM

Jan 2012
Cryarc said:
animefan8800 said:

Your right about needing more details. And the show definitely wants us to keep the glory hunting thing in mind as a possibility, though Nozomi's apparent sincerity and outright oath to not try and play competitively make me think it's a red herring, the glory hunting thing. I believe her, for now at least, and this outright rejection is too cold and narrow-minded for my liking. Reina fits that description perfectly too right now. At what point does it become acceptable for winning to override humanity?

Remember how Mizore even got into panic attack hearing Nozomi's flute play? Something pretty bad probably have been happening in the past, moreover it seems they're a close friend before she's quitting. Nozomi was the one who told Mizore to get the gold on highschool but somehow she's the one quitting instead. It's cruel but as a leader would you put one person in with the risk of ruining the whole group down? Moreover the timing is pretty much awkward, in the middle of term and right when they're going into extensive practice for a prestigious competitions.

Timing means squat, and yes, most likely. It depends on the severity of whatever happened back then of course, but as we haven't seen it yet gotta say innocent until proven guilty.
Oct 6, 2016 12:56 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was certainly about what I remembered Hibike to be like: beautifully looking but ultimately pretty slow and boring. Being twice the regular episode length probably didn't help the latter part either
Oct 6, 2016 1:07 AM

Jun 2013
Kumiko and Reina need to get MARRIED
Oct 6, 2016 3:32 AM

Jun 2008
Turtles_Leader said:
Is it me or they changed Kumiko's voice actress?
It's just you. MAL has the same VA listed for her.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 6, 2016 4:13 AM

Apr 2010
Another anime i was waiting for and it was certainly worth the wait things looked nice and a couple of new girls to add to the drama.
This season is looking good already can't wait too see what more it has to offer.
Oct 6, 2016 4:22 AM

Sep 2013
You, Kousaka Reina, definitely are the man! <3

This episode is perfect, The animation is as good as ever and I'm loving the conflict regarding the second years and Asuka-senpai .. new characters are great too! And Touyama Nao is joining the fun! What more could I ask for? Oh that's right, YURI!

I'm taking all the bait and I'm loving it so KYOANI, GIVE ME MORE!!!! Kousaka x Kumiko is life.
Erika___Oct 6, 2016 4:35 AM
Oct 6, 2016 5:25 AM

Jun 2008
animefan8800 said:
Cryarc said:

Remember how Mizore even got into panic attack hearing Nozomi's flute play? Something pretty bad probably have been happening in the past, moreover it seems they're a close friend before she's quitting. Nozomi was the one who told Mizore to get the gold on highschool but somehow she's the one quitting instead. It's cruel but as a leader would you put one person in with the risk of ruining the whole group down? Moreover the timing is pretty much awkward, in the middle of term and right when they're going into extensive practice for a prestigious competitions.

Timing means squat, and yes, most likely. It depends on the severity of whatever happened back then of course, but as we haven't seen it yet gotta say innocent until proven guilty.

I have a strong feeling that this sub-story will be developed as the season progressed. Afterall, it wouldn't be brought into the story without a reason. Just you see. Like I posted before, and I'm not putting spoilers around it this time, I bet that those that did quit were those that went to Minori Middle School when they got the 2nd place rating.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 6, 2016 5:40 AM

Mar 2015
Reina in her Yukata was absolutely stunning.

Shuuichi acts like such a wall flower, blah. Kumiko can find better.
The sword that takes life gives life
Oct 6, 2016 5:42 AM
Aug 2014
-it's strainge that there's no yuri doujin of Kumiko x Reina
-KyoAni better resolve the nee-san jealousy/envy issue in this season, otherwise don't bother showing it.
-I see the main drama of this season is the second year senpais debacle.
-that Shuichi dude got NTR, he'll most likely fap on that thought that night.
-this show didn't get the memo of "spot the main characters"
Oct 6, 2016 6:06 AM
Apr 2013
Black_wind said:
when people say it's good if Kumiko and Shuichi end up together i am always bewildered, because why??they have totally zero chemistry and just in general zero everything. Because they are the "right" dude and a girl pairing?smh

anyway,official kyoani relationship chart says this
http://anime-eupho.us/character/chart/

Oh,and i am glad Eupho is back. Beautiful first episode.

I approve of their chart. Kumiko and Reina have WAY more chemistry going on. Switching to Shuichi would be such a storytelling copout; he's already shown to be completely not worth her. Which is why they'll probably go with that one -__-

I thought Kumiko's voice sounded different to how I remembered, but I was also kinda fascinated by it.

Overall, what a breath of fresh air.
Oct 6, 2016 6:07 AM

Jun 2015
Top_Sergeant said:
Reina in her Yukata was absolutely stunning.

Shuuichi acts like such a wall flower, blah. Kumiko can find better.

Here you are

Love this couple. I hoping for more yuri in this season 2 *nosebleeds*
Oct 6, 2016 6:18 AM
May 2016
Well gorgeous animation just like the season 1, and good OST again. Seems like the mystery about what happened in the past of club gonna be unveiled. Overall good episode, and its an hour long. The baiting yuri continues....
Oct 6, 2016 6:19 AM

Apr 2016
Zantius said:

Complete sidebar, what happened with the second-years in season 1 again? I can't remember why half of them quit. I want to say it was because of something Taki-sensei did or said.

to sum it up from the last season, we know it all happened BEFORE the events in the first season, so no taki-sensei involved :
Many of the now second years, who were then first years, wanted the band to compete seriously and aim for the nationals. However most of the then second years and third years were lazy asses without ambition and didn't want to work properly in order to get better and this part of the band "won" so most of the then first years, the ones who were really motivated for competition and good music, they just quitted.

That all makes sense with Nozomi flashback : after losing in middle-school, she wanted to aim for nationals in high school, she was one of the motivated first years, but because the third years back then were lazy and the director of the band wasn't that motivated either (taki sensei was not there yet), she quitted.

As for Asuka attitude and Mizore reaction, there might have been some extra traumatic events because I'm not sure Reina's explanation at the end of this episode justifies the rejection. I mean, in the end, Nozomi is good and was extremely motivated to play music properly, which fits now perfectly with the new mentality in the band.
On a side note : the "don't quit and beat them down" motto of Reina at the end of the episode is a bit naive, you can't do whatever you want in a democratic system. If a majority of the band members didn't have voted to work with taki sensei properly this year, she just would have had to shut up, .. or quit, like most of the second years the year before. In a democracy the minority loses.
Oct 6, 2016 6:36 AM

Aug 2015
I found this in an old discussion on MAL.

TuyNOMOct 6, 2016 6:39 AM
Oct 6, 2016 6:50 AM

Jun 2012
Great first episode, beside what was already said about new girls, Kumiko x Reina, i like that Reina go home in bus with Kumiko and friends, that's one of things i missed in 1st season, Reina interaction with Hazuki and Sapphire, only interaction they had, was during Tutti end credits
Oct 6, 2016 7:36 AM

Jun 2013
The fourth novel wasn't even out when KyoAni decided to work on Hibike, and they always do what they want with their adaptations, so why still bring up the books. Besides, as Kumiko said, Reina going to the staff office that early to talk with Taki is just way too adorable (and I'm a KumiRei shipper since the first episode of season one).

Turtles_Leader said:
Is it me or they changed Kumiko's voice actress?

Her VA is the same, but I guess she does sound different, even Reina and some other character. A while ago I found this article about the recap movie, and I'd say that maybe the same is going on with the second season:
-You re-recorded the dialogue for the movie. What changes, like in the atmosphere of the recording booth, did you see in comparison to the TV series?

Ishihara: Sound director (Yota) Tsuruoka-san’s thorough direction came out. Each time it felt like “wouldn’t it be nice if it didn’t feel like an anime here?”. The TV series has a turning point in each episode so the emotions have to be phrased according to that, but since a movie is focused around one story, there were many times where the modulation of character voices had to be restrained compared to the TV series’ version.
-
DoubledogOct 6, 2016 7:41 AM
Oct 6, 2016 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
Beautiful! Beautiful! As a start it seemed much quieter, instead there was really a lot of dynamism in the narration while having a calm rhythm. Interesting in terms of slice or life, did not disappoint even as far as concerned the psychological part of the story, in short, the narrative has addressed many issues of various kinds, succeeding in the complex to give a quite intriguing episode. Almost excellent quality of drawings, ditto for animations. I'm satisfied with this first episode, I hope will continue and so that it can further improve, if there are possibilities.

Tenryuu1 said:
Edit: I've this mention...

THIS!
Oct 6, 2016 8:02 AM

Feb 2014
And the yuri ship has set sail on it's long journey once more! =3

Apart from the usual yuri teases, it's great to have Sound Euphonium back. The high quality art and animation is as great as ever and honestly, I already like the OP and ED more than last season's. =)

Since it has been 15 or months since it was last on air, I have forgotten about the drama that involves the second years. So seeing Mizore trying and failing to get back into the club due to Asuka not giving Mizore her approval does make me want to see and hear more about Minami middle school's failure to win back then and why most of them can't heal up their old wounds.

Of course, saying that they should just move on already and bury the bad memories now is FAR easier said than done, but I do hope that within time, and patience from certain second years, then maybe Mizore might have a chance to join the club again and mend a couple of relationships as well.

Either way, this was a great double-length episode to start the second season with a bang! =D
Oct 6, 2016 8:42 AM

Mar 2015
I thought this sink was real for a second...

Lovely art as expected, although the pacing felt a bit slow, Kumiko sounds kinda monotone
Oct 6, 2016 8:52 AM

May 2015
Yuri is strong in this one. Great "almost hour" epiosde with awesome animation.

Wiating for new episodes. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 6, 2016 8:55 AM

Feb 2014
Heitokun said:
I'll never understand the freaking Yuri obsession, it's completely unfounded, Reina doesn't even see Kumiko as anything but a friend or a sister, she likes Taki, the end, those who say otherwise are in denial and should read the novels, KyoAni goes full retard sometimes.

screw the novels. Do you not see how they light up when they look into each others eyes? The constant playful flirtatious teasing? The way they held hands at the festival? Their very obvious chemistry together? For all intents and purposes they may as well be yuri in the anime and Reina's supposed crush for Taki may as well be a front because shes a shy girl and afraid to come out of the closet.
Around and around the cycle goes.
Oct 6, 2016 9:17 AM

Nov 2013
TuyNOM said:

This, a fucking hundred times.
Oct 6, 2016 9:25 AM

Nov 2013
19Pyro90 said:
Heitokun said:
I'll never understand the freaking Yuri obsession, it's completely unfounded, Reina doesn't even see Kumiko as anything but a friend or a sister, she likes Taki, the end, those who say otherwise are in denial and should read the novels, KyoAni goes full retard sometimes.

screw the novels. Do you not see how they light up when they look into each others eyes? The constant playful flirtatious teasing? The way they held hands at the festival? Their very obvious chemistry together? For all intents and purposes they may as well be yuri in the anime and Reina's supposed crush for Taki may as well be a front because shes a shy girl and afraid to come out of the closet.

Kumiko is the ONLY one who looks at Reina that way, for some stupid reason she blushes like an idiot at Reina. Whether she is a lesbian or not, it's not the problem here, why the hell must they change the story from the source material to pander to lesbian loving otakus. I woud be okay with it IF it were canon on the novels, but it's not, it came out of nowhere and they relegated suuichi to an idiot who can't even be a proper man just so they could turn the story into a Yuri/slice of life/music anime, it's bullshit of the highest caliber, but whatever...

Nice signature by the way.
HeitokunOct 6, 2016 9:32 AM
Oct 6, 2016 9:44 AM

Dec 2009
Heitokun said:
You've got a lot to learn about human behaviour. Some people might be obsessed, but it's a hardcore fact that they're way closer than friends, and are in the territory you'd normally be before you ask someone out. The anime production isn't inherently obligated to follow the source material, as we've all seen a million times over.

shanimebib said:
I love Kumiko and Reina's interactions so much. The reason I love Hibike! Euphonium so much is because the interactions of the characters are so ordinary yet at the same time they never seem mundane at all. This anime allows the viewers to experience something unlike many other shows out there. Each character plays a role to give a different flavour to spice up the viewers' expectations from the story. It's really enchanting for a SoL.
Yay, someone else who can actually ponder the nature of this show's magic. I remember when i was first watching this show all i could think is: "they're all so, normal, yet they're so damn cute!"
Why can't everything present normalcy with such magic as this?

shanimebib said:
which of course followed the moment Kumiko was momentarily left alone by Reina, only for her to look around and the person to show up conveniently right there and then just had to be Shuuichi. Everyone knows what it means in nine out of ten times for a girl in yukata to meet a boy during a festival in Japanese literature—be it classic literature, modern novel, play-write, light-novel or manga. Coincidentally, the festival was celebrating Genji Monogatari.

But really I want to turn blind eye to it for now and enjoy the anime as much as I can the way it is!
It could also be a trope subversion.

Heitokun said:
umiko is the ONLY one who looks at Reina that way, for some stupid reason she blushes like an idiot at Reina. Whether she is a lesbian or not, it's not the problem here, why the hell must they change the story from the source material to pander to lesbian loving otakus. I woud be okay with it IF it were canon on the novels, but it's not, it came out of nowhere and they relegated suuichi to an idiot who can't even be a proper man just so they could turn the story into a Yuri/slice of life/music anime, it's bullshit of the highest caliber, but whatever...
Why do you have to bitch so much because an animation studio might not pander a reader who knows it? If this does progress to yuri, it has been well played and well written in this whole time, in fact, turning it over to someone else would be clumsy writing. They had some intimate suggestions last season, but this episode was a large progression from before. If you were paying attention, Kumiko's heart skipped while holding Reina's hand and watching the fireworks. In pretty much any story, a scene like that is a self-actualization of love. (That is ofc also remembering all the things Reina has done in a flirty sense, and Kumiko's indifference to guys.) If you're oppositional to this development then you are in denial, because any idiot/newcomer can see it.

Again, if they kept this progression, it'd make a far better writing, and a much more memorable story, than if they crammed in a guy(Shu) and made the series fall into normalcy - it would hurt it's impression/memorability, and therefore sales as well. Something memorable, is something exceptional that does it's own thing in it's own special way that makes you remember it because it isn't like anything else.

You also seem to have a false impression of "yuri pandering" as true yuri anime are one of the most rare genres out there.

Except for the people who get caught up in an obstinate world view, the rest are interested to see a new path of events... Why do you think there are so many alternate setting anime? It's not just because the companies are lazy or someshit, people like to see alternative retellings and alternative possibilities in a single universe. There's nothing wrong with a different production taking a somewhat different route, as long as it's author approved.

Ps: i actually really despise that Japanese notion of 'girls getting close through young age but then should diverge and seek guys', and would hate this show to be another perpetuater of that non-progression.
GenesisAriaOct 6, 2016 10:29 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 6, 2016 9:49 AM
Sep 2013
I can't stand another season of yuri ship blueballing.
sigh... I guess I will have to wait for this series to end so I can spoil myself with how KyoAni wrap things and then binge it one go.
Oct 6, 2016 10:15 AM

Mar 2015
That was beautiful as expected, the characters are all so relatable and do i spot a new best girl? Rei-clones just kinda get me everytime.

Not to keen on the whole shipping-nonsense but Kumiko and Reina really have an interesting relationship. Or Kumiko and her family. Maybe it's Kumiko that makes it interesting.
Oct 6, 2016 10:18 AM

Apr 2016
Good first episode, pretty much picked up right where the first season left off. And jeez, did the production values get even better? :P

I'm a little worried, though, about the resurfacing of my two biggest problems with the first season: 1) drama between side characters we've been given no reason to care about and 2) that damn incident that caused people to quit the previous year. Seriously, stop milking this; it was never interesting enough to get this much focus. Also, Midori still feels like a non-character to me, and by the looks of this episode, that won't change any time soon. Hoping for some more development sometime down the line.

But enough with the nitpicking. Despite all that, I thought the new characters were decent, and I'm cautiously optimistic going forward. Kumiko is still a great protagonist.
Oct 6, 2016 10:24 AM
Apr 2012
I haven't watched season 1, but are the two main protagonist in a lesbian relationship?
Oct 6, 2016 10:34 AM

Feb 2015
flack said:
I haven't watched season 1, but are the two main protagonist in a lesbian relationship?

I hope on the day KyoAni finally decides to produce Hentai.
Oct 6, 2016 10:37 AM

Nov 2013
GenesisAria said:
Heitokun said:
You've got a lot to learn about human behaviour. Some people might be obsessed, but it's a hardcore fact that they're way closer than friends, and are in the territory you'd normally be before you ask someone out. The anime production isn't inherently obligated to follow the source material, as we've all seen a million times over.

shanimebib said:
I love Kumiko and Reina's interactions so much. The reason I love Hibike! Euphonium so much is because the interactions of the characters are so ordinary yet at the same time they never seem mundane at all. This anime allows the viewers to experience something unlike many other shows out there. Each character plays a role to give a different flavour to spice up the viewers' expectations from the story. It's really enchanting for a SoL.
Yay, someone else who can actually ponder the nature of this show's magic. I remember when i was first watching this show all i could think is: "they're all so, normal, yet they're so damn cute!"

shanimebib said:
which of course followed the moment Kumiko was momentarily left alone by Reina, only for her to look around and the person to show up conveniently right there and then just had to be Shuuichi. Everyone knows what it means in nine out of ten times for a girl in yukata to meet a boy during a festival in Japanese literature—be it classic literature, modern novel, play-write, light-novel or manga. Coincidentally, the festival was celebrating Genji Monogatari.

But really I want to turn blind eye to it for now and enjoy the anime as much as I can the way it is!

Heitokun said:
umiko is the ONLY one who looks at Reina that way, for some stupid reason she blushes like an idiot at Reina. Whether she is a lesbian or not, it's not the problem here, why the hell must they change the story from the source material to pander to lesbian loving otakus. I woud be okay with it IF it were canon on the novels, but it's not, it came out of nowhere and they relegated suuichi to an idiot who can't even be a proper man just so they could turn the story into a Yuri/slice of life/music anime, it's bullshit of the highest caliber, but whatever...
Why do you have to bitch so much because an animation studio might not pander a reader who knows it? If this does progress to yuri, it has been well played and well written in this whole time, in fact, turning it over to someone else would be clumsy writing. They had some intimate suggestions last season, but this episode was a large progression from before. If you were paying attention, Kumiko's heart skipped while holding Reina's hand and watching the fireworks. In pretty much any story, a scene like that is a self-actualization of love. (That is ofc also remembering all the things Reina has done in a flirty sense, and Kumiko's indifference to guys.)

You also seem to have a false impression of "yuri pandering" as true yuri anime are one of the most rare genres out there.

Except for the people who get caught up in an obstinate world view, the rest are interested to see a new path of events... Why do you think there are so many alternate setting anime? It's not just because the companies are lazy or someshit, people like to see alternative retellings and alternative possibilities in a single universe. There's nothing wrong with a different production taking a somewhat different route, as long as it's author approved.
GenesisAria said:
Heitokun said:

shanimebib said:

shanimebib said:

Heitokun said:
Why do you have to bitch so much because an animation studio might not pander a reader who knows it? If this does progress to yuri, it has been well played and well written in this whole time, in fact, turning it over to someone else would be clumsy writing. They had some intimate suggestions last season, but this episode was a large progression from before. If you were paying attention, Kumiko's heart skipped while holding Reina's hand and watching the fireworks. In pretty much any story, a scene like that is a self-actualization of love. (That is ofc also remembering all the things Reina has done in a flirty sense, and Kumiko's indifference to guys.)

You seem to misunderstand me, I'm not mad at the fact they are going the Yuri route, I'm mad at the fact they're changing the source material, which are two different things. I absolutely DESPISE it when studios become smartasses and start changing things just because they can, for those who haven't read the original source it's okay, because they don't know what changed in the story and how badly they changed the development of the characters just to suit their stupid desires, but for people who have become attached to certain characters, certain events and aspects of a story, it becomes an insult and a fucking waste of time for readers.

I love this anime, so i'm not a hater and don't want people to not like this anime, loving or liking something is not a reason to not criticize it's flaws. You're right about the fact that it's too late forSuuichi to become a love interest since they changed absolutely everything regarding Kumiko and him, so getting her to like him all of a sudden would be an asspull everyone would hate, I was just stating my displeasure with the way they handled the story, that's all.
Oct 6, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2013
Still boring as fuck.

I don't like the way they changed the Meme-megane girl, she's a total bitch now :/
Oct 6, 2016 11:02 AM

Apr 2012
Eargasm, eyegasm, and I might even reached an orgasm soon.
What a feast for sakuga nerd. Overbudget much
Oct 6, 2016 11:12 AM

Dec 2009
Heitokun said:
You seem to misunderstand me, I'm not mad at the fact they are going the Yuri route, I'm mad at the fact they're changing the source material, which are two different things. I absolutely DESPISE it when studios become smartasses and start changing things just because they can, for those who haven't read the original source it's okay, because they don't know what changed in the story and how badly they changed the development of the characters just to suit their stupid desires, but for people who have become attached to certain characters, certain events and aspects of a story, it becomes an insult and a fucking waste of time for readers.

I love this anime, so i'm not a hater and don't want people to not like this anime, loving or liking something is not a reason to not criticize it's flaws. You're right about the fact that it's too late forSuuichi to become a love interest since they changed absolutely everything regarding Kumiko and him, so getting her to like him all of a sudden would be an asspull everyone would hate, I was just stating my displeasure with the way they handled the story, that's all.
Sorry, but as a scientist i can't ignore how many assumptions you made in your statements there. Unless you can honestly tell me that you've seen direct evidence of these claims: #1 being that they change stuff just because they can, and #2 being that they were too lazy to read the source material. Both of which could be completely false.

The author could have signed off allowing the studio do make their own production, or even signed off the specific changes. An example i'm familiar with in western production is Ender's Game, were O.S. Card openly said that the movie is their production and they can do what they want.

Changing from source material is an absolute necessity in film production. In a book you can write until your arm falls off, but in animation/film you must conform to time constraints and budget constraints, meaning subtracting elements is necessary. Now as the case with many stories, if you subtract enough things, you actually break the plot and have to do some re-writing to make it work.

I'm an avid supporter of particular works seeing perfect replication in animated form (namely Negima in my case), but there is nothing wrong with it being an alternate timeline with it's own events either. All it means is that it wasn't what you hoped for, but that also means it's a new avenue of discovery in which you can find more reasons to like something, due to an expanded perspective on it.

Oct 6, 2016 11:45 AM

Nov 2007
Heitokun said:

But almost everyone changes the adaptation from source material. I think there are very few that remain loyal to the story. Look what they have done with The Adventures of Tintin. As an avid fan, I was taken aback seeing how they butchered the story. Yet, it was critically acclaimed as a very good movie. I think creativity is something that motivates directors/producers to work on something. There are exceptions like LoTR which had phenomenal making and thus retained critics' approval despite of being close to the source material as much as possible.

When you come back to anime industry, the same can be seen. How many anime out there that followed the exceptionally good source material yet didn't even get nominated for recognition/awards? An example would be FMA (2003) which diverged from the source material yet won multiple awards and FMA:B (2010) which remained true to the source material and not winning anything.

Heitokun said:
I love this anime, so i'm not a hater and don't want people to not like this anime, loving or liking something is not a reason to not criticize it's flaws. You're right about the fact that it's too late for Suuichi to become a love interest since they changed absolutely everything regarding Kumiko and him, so getting her to like him all of a sudden would be an asspull everyone would hate, I was just stating my displeasure with the way they handled the story, that's all.

Everyone who read the novel or at least took a glimpse from the story know that Asuka and Shuuichi's roles in the novel are as important as Reina's when it comes to Kumiko's development. The story is told from Kumiko's perspective and Reina, Asuka and Shuuichi (not to mention the latter two are listed as protagonists in the novel alongside Kumiko and Reina) shape up the story as it progresses. Even in the original source material Asuka and Shuuichi start to play important roles much later. This season is definitely going to cover Asuka's part. As for Shuuichi, they just haven't started showing Kumiko's childhood yet. The opening left a segment where mini Kumiko is shown playing a trombone (note: not an euphonium) sitting in between mini Shuuichi and Mamiko. The next segment showing Shuuichi playing trombone in a concert and then so on. So, I am not entirely sure that they are just going to chop off Shuuichi's part in the story. Those who know about the source material would not NOT notice one of the items in Kumiko's room. KyoAni could easily not put it there to show their real intention. But again, that could be their way of keeping the doors open to converge to the source material or just keep the readers of the source material quiet for the time being.

There were a couple of other hints when Kumiko and Reina sat next to each other. If you have read the novel, you should probably know why Kumiko stopped with a pause immediately after saying a certain something. And then tried to change the topic. And while holding Reina's hand she suddenly looked surprised (as if her heart skipped a beat) and then making her grip stronger. This wasn't the first time she made her grip stronger. Just my thoughts. I will leave you to ponder however you may want to depict it.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 6, 2016 11:58 AM

Aug 2015

Heitokun:

I think you are mistaken. In the novel there are also many passages where readers can think of a shojo-ai relationship between Kumiko and Reina.
To my mind, the series follows the original novel.

Furthermore, Kyoto Animation is used to correctly follow the original media, for example: Haruhi Suzumiya.
The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya follows the book closely.

So don't worry, these shojo-ai scenes are just there for the fan service.
TuyNOMOct 6, 2016 12:01 PM
Oct 6, 2016 12:10 PM

Nov 2013
GenesisAria said:
Heitokun said:

Sorry, but as a scientist i can't ignore how many assumptions you made in your statements there. Unless you can honestly tell me that you've seen direct evidence of these claims: #1 being that they change stuff just because they can, and #2 being that they were too lazy to read the source material. Both of which could be completely false.

The author could have signed off allowing the studio do make their own production, or even signed off the specific changes. An example i'm familiar with in western production is Ender's Game, were O.S. Card openly said that the movie is their production and they can do what they want.

Changing from source material is an absolute necessity in film production. In a book you can write until your arm falls off, but in animation/film you must conform to time constraints and budget constraints, meaning subtracting elements is necessary. Now as the case with many stories, if you subtract enough things, you actually break the plot and have to do some re-writing to make it work.

I'm an avid supporter of particular works seeing perfect replication in animated form (namely Negima in my case), but there is nothing wrong with it being an alternate timeline with it's own events either. All it means is that it wasn't what you hoped for, but that also means it's a new avenue of discovery in which you can find more reasons to like something, due to an expanded perspective on it.

Sice you claim to be a scientist, then you should be very careful of what you say and try to be as accurate as posible, because last time I checked, I didn't say "being that they were too lazy to read the source material" or anything of that sort, I never claimed they didn't read the source material and yes, they changed things because they CAN, whether the author allowed to do it or not, the result is the same, if they were in a position were they couldn't change something then it wouldn't have changed, but a lot of things did change, so my so called "assumptions" are in fact, correct, they can and will change things as they see fit.

I know things need to change in order to be optimal for the medium they're being adapted, but here's the thing, making Kumiko a lesbian is not something inherently necessary for the medium it's being adapted, making her heterosexual wouldn't compromse the medium in ANY way because either way she has to fall in love with someone, one clear example of why things are adapted differently from the source marterial in a smart and logical way would be Sauron from the Lord of the Rings, in the books he barely appears AT ALL, but the audience needs a visual aid as a means to identify a character, hence his "fiery eye" depiction in the movies, that's a logical change and it's something that enhanced the expierience of the viewer, but this? this is just fanservice, plain and simple, they knew people wanted the Kumiko x reina ship to sail, that's why they relegated suuichi to just a guy with an unrequited love.

People want to justify the Yuri in this anime, I don't think they have to, but please don't tell me there is a more complex reasoning behing these changes because if that were the case, the Yuri would have been in the novels too.
Oct 6, 2016 12:17 PM

Nov 2013
TuyNOM said:

Heitokun:

I think you are mistaken. In the novel there are also many passages where readers can think of a shojo-ai relationship between Kumiko and Reina.
To my mind, the series follows the original novel.

Furthermore, Kyoto Animation is used to correctly follow the original media, for example: Haruhi Suzumiya.
The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya follows the book closely.

So don't worry, these shojo-ai scenes are just there for the fan service.

I know this, but in the novels it was VERY subtle, in the anime is blatantly obvious they want to go the Yuri route, Kumiko wasn't as indifferent to Suuichi as in the anime, and the way she looks at reina? That screams "love", that's why I don't blame the shippers, because at this point I've just accepted they will go full Yuri.
Oct 6, 2016 12:26 PM

Nov 2013
shanimebib said:
Heitokun said:

But almost everyone changes the adaptation from source material. I think there are very few that remain loyal to the story. Look what they have done with The Adventures of Tintin. As an avid fan, I was taken aback seeing how they butchered the story. Yet, it was critically acclaimed as a very good movie. I think creativity is something that motivates directors/producers to work on something. There are exceptions like LoTR which had phenomenal making and thus retained critics' approval despite of being close to the source material as much as possible.

When you come back to anime industry, the same can be seen. How many anime out there that followed the exceptionally good source material yet didn't even get nominated for recognition/awards? An example would be FMA (2003) which diverged from the source material yet won multiple awards and FMA:B (2010) which remained true to the source material and not winning anything.

Heitokun said:
I love this anime, so i'm not a hater and don't want people to not like this anime, loving or liking something is not a reason to not criticize it's flaws. You're right about the fact that it's too late for Suuichi to become a love interest since they changed absolutely everything regarding Kumiko and him, so getting her to like him all of a sudden would be an asspull everyone would hate, I was just stating my displeasure with the way they handled the story, that's all.

Everyone who read the novel or at least took a glimpse from the story know that Asuka and Shuuichi's roles in the novel are as important as Reina's when it comes to Kumiko's development. The story is told from Kumiko's perspective and Reina, Asuka and Shuuichi (not to mention the latter two are listed as protagonists in the novel alongside Kumiko and Reina) shape up the story as it progresses. Even in the original source material Asuka and Shuuichi start to play important roles much later. This season is definitely going to cover Asuka's part. As for Shuuichi, they just haven't started showing Kumiko's childhood yet. The opening left a segment where mini Kumiko is shown playing a trombone (note: not an euphonium) sitting in between mini Shuuichi and Mamiko. The next segment showing Shuuichi playing trombone in a concert and then so on. So, I am not entirely sure that they are just going to chop off Shuuichi's part in the story. Those who know about the source material would not NOT notice one of the items in Kumiko's room. KyoAni could easily not put it there to show their real intention. But again, that could be their way of keeping the doors open to converge to the source material or just keep the readers of the source material quiet for the time being.

There were a couple of other hints when Kumiko and Reina sat next to each other. If you have read the novel, you should probably know why Kumiko stopped with a pause immediately after saying a certain something. And then tried to change the topic. And while holding Reina's hand she suddenly looked surprised (as if her heart skipped a beat) and then making her grip stronger. This wasn't the first time she made her grip stronger. Just my thoughts. I will leave you to ponder however you may want to depict it.

Yes, I've read the novels and yes what you say is right and yes I hope I'm proven wrong. Regarding the op, it was so boring compared to the first one that I almost fell asleep, so I didn't notice they showed those things you mention.

I'll go with the flow as of now, if they keep it faithful props to them, if not...well fuck it, I still like this anime, apparently I've created a massive outrage against myself despite the fact I'm an avid fan of the story just for pointing out things I wasn't comfortable with, meh.
Oct 6, 2016 12:51 PM

Feb 2013
God kyoani, I hate you but I Love you but I hate you...

That last scene was so damn beautiful, LIKE REALLY, I dont need a kiss from these two, this scenes are already so intimate and filled with Love that I just cant ugh kyoani If you screw this ship i'll burn everything you Love.

TuyNOM said:

Oct 6, 2016 1:29 PM

Dec 2009
Heitokun said:
GenesisAria said:

Sice you claim to be a scientist, then you should be very careful of what you say and try to be as accurate as posible, because last time I checked, I didn't say "being that they were too lazy to read the source material" or anything of that sort, I never claimed they didn't read the source material and yes, they changed things because they CAN, whether the author allowed to do it or not, the result is the same, if they were in a position were they couldn't change something then it wouldn't have changed, but a lot of things did change, so my so called "assumptions" are in fact, correct, they can and will change things as they see fit.

I know things need to change in order to be optimal for the medium they're being adapted, but here's the thing, making Kumiko a lesbian is not something inherently necessary for the medium it's being adapted, making her heterosexual wouldn't compromse the medium in ANY way because either way she has to fall in love with someone, one clear example of why things are adapted differently from the source marterial in a smart and logical way would be Sauron from the Lord of the Rings, in the books he barely appears AT ALL, but the audience needs a visual aid as a means to identify a character, hence his "fiery eye" depiction in the movies, that's a logical change and it's something that enhanced the expierience of the viewer, but this? this is just fanservice, plain and simple, they knew people wanted the Kumiko x reina ship to sail, that's why they relegated suuichi to just a guy with an unrequited love.

People want to justify the Yuri in this anime, I don't think they have to, but please don't tell me there is a more complex reasoning behing these changes because if that were the case, the Yuri would have been in the novels too.
Hot damn, yeah i must have intended to respond to someone else's comment, i know i read somewhere someone commenting about them not reading the source material. My bad. Saying they change things "because they can" connotatively refers to acting on whims, or changing something to pander someone. There's no proof of that, thus i'm incluned, due to my extensive exposure to their way of doing things, there was more likely a though out reason for a particular change, at least in a production of some respectability. There are times when accidents happen in production, but overall things are well thought out. One random example of same is when they choose hair colour for a character with unspecified colour, if full spectrum is applicable to the particular style, then they will study the character and apply a colour that best represents the character through colour theory.

Well that change in the Lord of the Rings would have changed the existence of Sauron from a mystery to obviousness, and damaged the entire undertone of it. I've never read the books, but if i were to author those stories, i'd definitely leave the Sauron element as a thing everyone tells you about, but you have a hard time believing because there's no empirical evidence (until you're forced to believe it). If Tolkien is as good of a writer as people claim, he would have done that (indepth suspension of disbelief via occupying your background thought with context-relevant questions).

You may claim it's fanservice, but the way they've progressed it thus far... okay let's pretend you're me, never read the source material, and are unbiased to it. Looking at these progression of events, it's hard to believe it's not a progression towards yuri, and in all honesty, it's a pretty decently written progression. Honestly, if i were there with them (Kumiko/Reina), i'd tell them they should hook up, because they're so happy together. No need to (regardless of the author's original intentions of writing a cliche "childhood friend always wins" plot) shove in a male relationship just to conform to normalcy and fit in with social commentary.

You know, it is possible for the anime writers to do a better job than the original writer...
GenesisAriaOct 6, 2016 1:36 PM

Oct 6, 2016 1:46 PM

Nov 2013
GenesisAria said:
Heitokun said:

Hot damn, yeah i must have intended to respond to someone else's comment, i know i read somewhere someone commenting about them not reading the source material. My bad. Saying they change things "because they can" connotatively refers to acting on whims, or changing something to pander someone. There's no proof of that, thus i'm incluned, due to my extensive exposure to their way of doing things, there was more likely a though out reason for a particular change, at least in a production of some respectability. There are times when accidents happen in production, but overall things are well thought out. One random example of same is when they choose hair colour for a character with unspecified colour, if full spectrum is applicable to the particular style, then they will study the character and apply a colour that best represents the character through colour theory.

Well that change in the Lord of the Rings would have changed the existence of Sauron from a mystery to obviousness, and damaged the entire undertone of it. I've never read the books, but if i were to author those stories, i'd definitely leave the Sauron element as a thing everyone tells you about, but you have a hard time believing because there's no empirical evidence (until you're forced to believe it). If Tolkien is as good of a writer as people claim, he would have done that (indepth suspension of disbelief via occupying your background thought with context-relevant questions).

You may claim it's fanservice, but the way they've progressed it thus far... okay let's pretend you're me, never read the source material, and are unbiased to it. Looking at these progression of events, it's hard to believe it's not a progression towards yuri, and in all honesty, it's a pretty decently written progression. Honestly, if i were there with them (Kumiko/Reina), i'd tell them they should hook up, because they're so happy together. No need to (regardless of the author's original intentions of writing a cliche "childhood friend always wins" plot) shove in a male relationship just to conform to normalcy and fit in with social commentary.

I do agree with you on the fact that the progression and the character development is consistent and logical and don't get me wrong, as I said before, I don't have anything against them being together, they're cute as fuck when they interact with each other and the supposed "love" Reina has for Taki is pretty weak and shallow, the chemistry between her and Kumiko is by far, one of the most well developed and believable, specially in anime, where characters fall in love with each other in a matter of days, here it's natural and mature, I apologize if I came off as being pretentious or a hater, I just liked the Kumiko x Suuichi ship in the novels and wanted it HERE too, so it was just me being a little selfish and biased, I said in another comment that whether they choose to go Kumiko x Reina or Kumiko x Suuichi I will accept it, as long as it's well done.
Oct 6, 2016 2:12 PM

Feb 2013
GenesisAria said:

You know, it is possible for the anime writers to do a better job than the original writer...

Sadly we're talking about japanese mindset, and they will never go full Yuri route and will keep saying how they are just friends... even if shuuichi didn't exist in the show, it will never go full Yuri...

Oct 6, 2016 2:41 PM

Aug 2016
Hey people, am I able to see this episode after I've only seen the movie? Or will I lose something?
Oct 6, 2016 2:50 PM

Oct 2012
The yuri bait is so good... and yet so saddening xD
Look at this glorious bait

That's pretty much confirmation of Kumiko liking Reina
But...
I'm taking this to mean that Kumiko can only look on from afar without Reina ever knowing how she feels.

Ah the tragedy!!!

Anyhow this was a nice episode, I noticed the slower pacing since they had an extra episode's length of time to build up, I'm really curious as to the stigma surrounding Nozomi.
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.