Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 8, 2016 11:40 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Emilia-tan being cute as usual <3

I really got to hand it to Subaru for being able to remain so cheerful and optimistic despite going through all that. Losing his interactions with people and even dying a painful death, Props to the guy.

The ogre story and Subaru and Ram's respective views on it was pretty interesting.

So the killer was Rem, Can't say I expected it to be her but I was mildly suspicious.
May 8, 2016 11:41 AM

Aug 2015
Anyone else think this felt like the shortest episode yet? Seriously, that episode felt like it was 10 minutes long! And of course it ends when we finally get somewhere...
May 8, 2016 11:42 AM
Nov 2013
ColdBreeze said:
OniiChanStopThat said:
What I don't understand is that in the first two cycles, he overstayed his welcome, was considered to be a spy, and then murdered in the night. Ok. Fine.

But this time he decided to freeload for a bit, and then decided to leave. If he's leaving doesn't that make it seem less suspicious? Why would they still execute him?
It will make sense soon. Just wait for the glorious moment.

ARGGHHHH. "GLORIOUS MOMENT" what is this. You're making me so mad. Why is it a "glorious moment"

Is there a translated light novel I can read? I cannot wait.

The last time I felt this kind of excitement was with Mahouka.

Jul 2007
Another great episode.

I guess the nitpickers last week can now shut up as Subaru did indeed do research now when he knows how he dies. The suspect who is doing it is also interesting and lines up with expectations. Poor Subaru never expected that the one targeting him might be in the household.

So this does confirm Ram and Rem as specifically Ogres, right? which still fits since its still a kind of demon.

5/5
OniiChanStopThat said:
What I don't understand is that in the first two cycles, he overstayed his welcome, was considered to be a spy, and then murdered in the night. Ok. Fine.

But this time he decided to freeload for a bit, and then decided to leave. If he's leaving doesn't that make it seem less suspicious? Why would they still execute him?

Is him having knowledge of Emilia being a contender for the next Queen/King supposed to be classified or something? If that's the case, then he's pretty much sentenced to death on Day 1 (ep 1A) considering how he runs into Emilia immediately after being transported to this world.

That leads to this burning question I have. Why was he chosen to be transported to this new world in the first place. How come he couldn't just finish his shopping at the supermarket normally that fateful day?

The way I see it they could not get to poison him so got desperate maybe? Since the poisoning seems to happen that evening sometime either during or before he went to sleep.

And int his retry he genuinely acted like a spy.

Jul 2015
OniiChanStopThat said:

Is him having knowledge of Emilia being a contender for the next Queen/King supposed to be classified or something? If that's the case, then he's pretty much sentenced to death on Day 1 (ep 1A) considering how he runs into Emilia immediately after being transported to this world.

That leads to this burning question I have. Why was he chosen to be transported to this new world in the first place. How come he couldn't just finish his shopping at the supermarket normally that fateful day?

I would kill him as well. He shows really suspicious behavior, which makes him a threat for Emilia and all inhabitants of the mansion. First he wakes up totally in fear and in the next moment he acts cheerful. What is he now? Then Ram comes quite a few times in his room. He tries to hide his notes instantly but Ram could have noticed it as well. Ram and Rem displayed a hostile attitude too. And his request could give rise to suspicions. His "real" personality remained hidden to everybody else. Why would you trust such a person? Subaru didn't really treat Ram and Rem well too.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.

Jun 2014
Rem responding to Subaru being interested in demons was a dead giveaway, but I like the several misdirections they played, so it still kept you guessing.
May 8, 2016 11:44 AM
Nov 2013
Sometimes791 said:

I would kill him as well. He shows really suspicious behavior, which makes him a threat for Emilia and all inhabitants of the mansion. First he wakes up totally in fear and in the next moment he acts cheerful. What is he now? Then Ram comes quite a few times in his room. He tries to hide his notes instantly but Ram could have noticed it as well. Ram and Rem displayed a hostile attitude too. And his request could give rise to suspicions. His "real" personality remained hidden to everybody else. Why would you trust such a person? Subaru didn't really treat Ram well too.

Very legitimate points. The question I have though is that if they think he is a threat, why not torture him for information and then kill him instead of simply killing him from the get-go. That does not add up.

Mar 2010
OniiChanStopThat said:

In Ep 4 and Ep 5, where could he have been cursed? What about in this episode?

Now that is question isn't it? All we know at this point only two thing could produced the effect that killed him, either being mana drained which only Betty and Puck know how to do or gotten cursed. At this point I think we can only assume that Rem was the one cursed him going the information available.

May 2015
Well, another fantastic episode. Seems like the killer was revealed in this episode, but I didn't expect Rem to be the one. I can imagine how shocked Subaru became the moment he saw her face, damn.

Jan 2015
mozgow said:
WTF? I was expecting Ram, not Rem. How could she kill him last time, after that smile? Maybe in the previous loop it was Ram and in this it's Rem?

It is most likely as you said.
Last episode Subaru talked a lot with Rem, so Ram killed him. In this episode, he talked a lot with Ram, so Rem killed him.

But I think that both of them were aware about Subaru's fate
It is just all about "who does the dirty job"
May 8, 2016 11:47 AM
Nov 2013
Xenocrisi said:
mozgow said:
WTF? I was expecting Ram, not Rem. How could she kill him last time, after that smile? Maybe in the previous loop it was Ram and in this it's Rem?

Last episode Subaru talked a lot with Rem, so Ram killed him. In this episode, he talked a lot with Ram, so Rem killed him.

It is just all about "who kills him"

You know what I think you may be right.

Nov 2015
IMHO, Subaru is the least likable character in this anime.
Idk what's the deal with him, trying to overdo everything.
But beside that, the anime again proved how it can play the same scenario a different times.
The talk with Ram and Beatrice were interesting.
And again that cliffhanger!

Apr 2015
@OniiChanStopThat There is no translation of the light novel yet.

The only thing is, you could read the manga which is around 2 episodes ahead of the anime.

Still I recommend waiting for next week's episode because the best way to experience what awaits us with this episode 7 is blind.
May 8, 2016 11:48 AM

Mar 2010
Also that note that Subaru mentioned Rem and him did not go to village this time since he stayed as a guest...
May 8, 2016 11:48 AM

Jan 2013
OniiChanStopThat said:

No matter what he does, it always leads to exactly some conflict, he can only change a variables slightly or make circumstances marginally different, but conflict cannot be entirely avoided. It seems like he goes through a scripted encounter and only thing he can do is to merely try to enter the fight slightly more prepared than before, but it is impossible to avoid it completely. It doesn't seems to be possible to avoid fight with Elsa, same goes with strange twin maids.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
May 8, 2016 11:51 AM
Apr 2014
That Blue and red Ogre story again, I first heard it in Ore Monogatari which I dropped.
At first I thought they were gonna leave the sleep killer subplot hanging for a while since he left the castle, luckily that wasn't the case.
As expected Blue maid is the killer as hinted at last episode
The MC makes some really questionable decisions, his goal should be to do everything to prevent him from being killed but no he's just hanging around with everyone living there and hitting on Emilia, he better succeed the next time since he's probably gonna die against blue maid, he's retarded enough already as it is.
May 8, 2016 11:51 AM

Jul 2015
ColdBreeze said:
Nobody mentioned Puck? He is just awesome.

Yes! Especially his change of voice height is hilarious. :D Even in the manga he is pure awesomeness. Probably the funniest "character" in Re:Zero.
OniiChanStopThat said:
Very legitimate points. The question I have though is that if they think he is a threat, why not torture him for information and then kill him instead of simply killing him from the get-go. That does not add up.

You could argue that he is acting too suspicious to be professional and have any ties to big shots in the politics. So they deemed him as no bigger threat, thus executing him on the spot spares energy and nerves.
May 8, 2016 11:54 AM

Jan 2013
Drake1000 said:
The MC makes some really questionable decisions, his goal should be to do everything to prevent him from being killed but no he's just hanging around with everyone living there and hitting on Emilia, he better succeed the next time since he's probably gonna die against blue maid, he's retarded enough already as it is.

In other words, he tries to play Dark Souls like dating simulator and doesn't even realize he is doing in wrong.

Jan 2015
Sometimes791 said:
I had my worries because Fappa told me that they ended the episode in the midst of this part. But in the end, that works in favor of the series. It's one hell of a cliffhanger and the important parts aren't cut out. Episode 7 will be great for sure.

Yautja said:
Beatrice is fantastic, she's my fav.

It irritates me seeing Subaru get such a bad draw over and over. No real reward for his almost altruistic nature, only end in pain and despair.

Also, anyone notice that Rem and Ram match the Ogres colors and natures in story, interesting eh?

The foreshadowing in this anime is really strong. Even the ending (episode 5) had a lot of hints concerning the future story development.

Madara22 said:
I always knew it was Rem !! Omg it's one of the few times I have been right !!!

Good job. But don't worry, the problem will be twisted to the point where only the viewers, who pick up the clues between the lines (and foreshadowing) will be able to predict the story.

Yeah ! I'm reading the manga now and after that I'll read the LN :D

Jan 2011
Interesting. While the same requirements for this bad end must've been along the same lines as at least the previous episode. it appears that 1. The attack happened earlier, 2. At a different place, but presumably with the same attacker. The thing that's got my attention is the chain sound effect when the lord came through the doorway. It was purposely the same effect as when Subaru was killed in the last episode (at least by his surprised perception) but more clearly it matches the weapon Rem is carrying. It may have been just to mislead is at that point.

My question now is whether this was a job set by the lord or some reaction by getting too close to either of the maids? Assuming his first death in the mansion was due to over exerting himself after being drained by the loli is canon, we can conclude the promise he made with Emilia had no particular bearing on his assassination. The time of the attack was likely sped up due to him remaining close to the mansion after his early departure. His request to be a house guest this times would make him less suspicious, I guess. I'm assuming he saw what the lord gave him, and is either literal money or something of valuable appearance. With that noted, would he still order a hit against him? Or, was this simply an impulsive move by Rem? Did Rem also kill him previously? Or, perhaps not? Unlike their chores, their skills as combatants were not brought into question. If the running gag does follow (of whether or not Ram has a purpose) it is possible Rem was the killer on both counts. If this, as mentioned earlier, has relation towards his interaction with the twins it may be possible the two then share information, come to a consensus and either coin flip for Subaru's head or Rem fulfills the deed as the more competent one.
May 8, 2016 11:57 AM

Mar 2015
With this episode here, I can finally reveal one of my favorite official art~

May 8, 2016 12:00 PM

Apr 2014
Ever since I saw the pink haired maid sitting on the lap of the crazy mansion owner talking about how Subaru can be a spy, I thought it was her who killed him woooow wow wow, never thought it would be the nice twin wow
When I'm fucked up that's the real me
May 8, 2016 12:00 PM

Mar 2010
Drake1000 said:

Prevent what? Did pay attention to what he said? He was planning scafcing this iteration to obtain information and catch the killer's identity. And succeed on exactly what he set out to do on both accounts. He can't really do much unless he has more information. The killer only strikes on 5th day to begin with.
Iron_MawMay 8, 2016 12:05 PM
May 8, 2016 12:02 PM

Jul 2015
Drake1000 said:
That Blue and red Ogre story again, I first heard it in Ore Monogatari which I dropped.
At first I thought they were gonna leave the sleep killer subplot hanging for a while since he left the castle, luckily that wasn't the case.
As expected Blue maid is the killer as hinted at last episode

First his biggest obstacle is the respawn in the mansion. If he were just to walk away, he could be killed with the justification of being a spy, who heard the important information. Furthermore, if he went out, where would he head next? There is no implication, that the world is a friendly one (class system) and that he could meet another person like Emilia, who would be ready to help him. He would be left for the wolves. And because he's a hikkimori, it would be really troublesome for him.

He has to act "retarded" like that to not give rise to any suspicions. Emilia has already experienced his personality, if this changed, that would happen as result? The suspicions would be spread and it would be another game over for him.

His only way out of this mess is to figure out the killer's identity and clarify the reasons behind the murder. Only then he is able to prevent the reason and survive the day.
May 8, 2016 12:02 PM

Nov 2014
I like how it didn't turn out to be something as simple as poisoning. I had a feeling Rem or Ram were the ones attacking him, though. There's little overlap between episodes with the time loop, which is nice. It would have been boring to see the exact same scenes over and over again.

Good episode.
May 8, 2016 12:03 PM

Mar 2016
REMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
May 8, 2016 12:05 PM

Jul 2014
Xenocrisi said:
It's possible but it is not, IMO, a valid reason to kill someone. It was clearly not an order from Roswaal, so what's the motive?

Xenocrisi said:
I did not think about it. That would explain why Rem and not Ram, but still we do not know the motive.
May 8, 2016 12:07 PM

Jul 2007
Drake1000 said:

Did you even watch the episode?
He spent entirety of last episode trying to learn how he died and entirety of this episode trying to learn of possible circumstances of his death and to avoid it.
May 8, 2016 12:08 PM

May 2015
I'm really glad I read the novel at the same time I kind of regret it lul
the lack of edsong Is a bummer
I'm glad to see rem and ram theyre too cute <3
May 8, 2016 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
Woops, looks like I guessed the wrong one out of the twin. Interesting stuff.
May 8, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2015
RedTie said:
Woops, looks like I guessed the wrong one out of the twin. Interesting stuff.

Maybe for this loop. But that doesn't necessarily mean that she is the killer in the other parts.
May 8, 2016 12:11 PM

Aug 2008
Lol, the red and blue ogre story was so obviously referring to Ram and Rem.

I guessed the wrong twin, though. The next episode will probably be a great one.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 8, 2016 12:12 PM

Jul 2013
Okay so putting the pieces together, the Demon story last episode began the suspicions of Rem or Ram. Today episode obviously gave it away but I'm hesitant to believe this is simply a matter of envy or jealousy. I think Subaru's relationship with either Rem or Ram is merely a coincidental factor in deciding who (the one with the least affection towards Subaru) kills him.

Emilia is a candidate to be the next ruler of Luginica, with Roswaal's backing. Subaru himself states how suspicious his sudden involvement is, and I'm sure their top priority is to protect her. The timing of the killings is always on the 4th night. The first two times Subaru intented to take Emilia on a date which is far too big of a risk considering how she was almost killed just a few days ago. The 3rd time Subaru left on the 3rd day to observe the mansion on the 4th night. From a security perspective Subaru, armed, and watching the mansion is suspicious enough to have him killed.

I think whether Rem or Ram kills Subaru is just a coincidence of who has the least affection towards him, they are both maids and guards of the mansion. Butler's or servants who act as the security are pretty common in fiction.
May 8, 2016 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
that was another amazing episode
i liked the "crazy" start where he woke up in a scared manner o,o
this time he said he wanted to be a guest instead of asking them to hire him so it was different, he didn't get to talk with ram or rem a lot
except that ogre story, which seemed a lot suspicious (ram i mean) and when subaru mentioned the witch story, she said she doesn't want to talk about it, suspicious af
NOW THAT ENDING.......
so turns out it's rem, i was expecting her to be honest, not ram
wonder what subaru will think / do now
gotta know rem's reason for trying to kill him too..

CAN'T WAIT FOR EP7, HYPUUUUUUUUUUU
May 8, 2016 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
Sometimes791 said:
First his biggest obstacle is the respawn in the mansion. If he were just to walk away, he could be killed with the justification of being a spy, who heard the important information. Furthermore, if he went out, where would he head next? There is no implication, that the world is a friendly one (class system) and that he could meet another person like Emilia, who would be ready to help him. He would be left for the wolves. And because he's a hikkimori, it would be really troublesome for him.

I agree with you.
He most likely hits on the first girl that was nice to him, that's understandable and he don't know much of the world.
But it same time I must ask - can he actually quit?
So far, his ability seems to revolve around Emilia. He was rewarded by new savepoint when he recovered her brooch/pendant.
Can he actually say f*** it and just walk away?
What would happen if he actually quit the mansion immediately after awakening with nothing that his clothes and stupid bag (dunno why he keeps dragging it), then aimlessly wander for three days and then was killed by some random bandit or some accident?
Would he respawn at mansion? Wake up somewhere under the tree when he spend the day before? Or would he died for good as any other normal person as punishment for quitting the quest?
May 8, 2016 12:24 PM

Nov 2014
AHHHHH REM WHY?!

I thought it was going to be Ram because of that scene she had with clown guy earlier.
I do like Ram better though, she seemed to open up with Subaru

And obligatory cute Puck
Hi there
May 8, 2016 12:29 PM

Mar 2016
mozgow said:

I will probably have to re-watch the episode to get some theory :-)

You just have to watch next few episodes to find out. No one here can predict anything that's going to happen unless they have read manga/novel.
May 8, 2016 12:31 PM

Oct 2014
Damnnnn

It was Blue Hisui all along. Damn. I expected Red Hisui, not Blue one.

5/5
Fai said:

And in this retry he genuinely acted like a spy.

True. From the moment he woke up scared and all, then with asking all the question, hiding the notes and stuff, and then waiting outside the mansion, he has been the most supsicous this time of all times.

Inb4 people complain again about character development and his research on how he died and see it as unnecessary.
ShrimperorMay 8, 2016 12:34 PM
May 8, 2016 12:32 PM

Apr 2009
I don't get it, at the end of the episode Roswaal says "I added something equivalent to our three days worth of memories together". It means he remembers Subaru right ? Yet nobody reacts ...
May 8, 2016 12:32 PM

Mar 2016
Fappa said:
@OniiChanStopThat There is no translation of the light novel yet.

The only thing is, you could read the manga which is around 2 episodes ahead of the anime.

Still I recommend waiting for next week's episode because the best way to experience what awaits us with this episode 7 is blind.

With this pacing I doubt good part will be in next episode, as someone said earlier next half episode will be spent on Rem trying to kill Subaru.
May 8, 2016 12:34 PM

Mar 2016
u531355 said:
I don't get it, at the end of the episode Roswaal says "I added something equivalent to our three days worth of memories together". It means he remembers Subaru right ? Yet nobody reacts ...

Subaru stayed for 4 days in the mansion after last epsiodes death, and left on the 4th day so he can watch what happened during the night he was killed.
May 8, 2016 12:36 PM
Apr 2014
Jagd84 said:
Drake1000 said:

He can't really do much unless he has more information. The killer only strikes on 5th day to begin with.

By doing what? drinking tea and learning how to write and read? his investigation game is weak sauce, he sits around doing nothing for a while when he should be on everyone's asses 24/7 and moving constantly, dying should be on his mind all the time he should be fucking paranoid and suspecting everyone instead he just acts like nothing happened, I also feel like he wastes a lot of time with Emilia-tan instead of the main suspects, we've hardly seen him interact with the master of the mansion.
May 8, 2016 12:37 PM

Jan 2014
to be honest i was not expecting Rem to be the killer at all...Was suspecting Ram but what do i know...Need more :O
May 8, 2016 12:39 PM

Jan 2016
darn i was sure it was lord kefka who was the killer
May 8, 2016 12:39 PM

Jul 2014
Okay, I expected that the killer was likely one of the twins, but I honestly thought it would have been Ram rather than Rem, especially after the latter's interactions with Subaru in the previous loop. Mind you, even if this explains the previous loop, I still don't think it's clear exactly how he died first time around. Sure, it was probably Rem who killed him again, but what did she do?

Either way, should be interesting to see if Subaru can survive now that he knows who his killer is, though I'm expecting him to get killed and then act on his knowledge in the next loop instead. Then again, how much can he actually do knowing that Rem killed him and that Ram is most likely involved in it as well?
May 8, 2016 12:40 PM

Dec 2015
That ending though, did not expect it to be Rem. Can't wait to find out more about why. But I think there is more to it, like someone already said, it's Rem coming to kill him this time, but the previous time it might have Ram, but then again the chain noise is from the weapon Rem is using... so many possibilities. Such a great show, can't wait till next episode.

May 8, 2016 12:41 PM

Jan 2014
Drake1000 said:
Jagd84 said:

He can't really do much unless he has more information. The killer only strikes on 5th day to begin with.

By doing what? drinking tea and learning how to write and read? his investigation game is weak sauce, he sits around doing nothing for a while when he should be on everyone's asses 24/7 and moving constantly, dying should be on his mind all the time he should be fucking paranoid and suspecting everyone instead he just acts like nothing happened, I also feel like he wastes a lot of time with Emilia-tan instead of the main suspects, we've hardly seen him interact with the master of the mansion.
Remember the words he keep saying at least 5 times each episode:He does everything for Emilia's smile...He knows he will revive when he dies,he does not want to die anyways but he cares about saving his fantasy world heroine more than his own life...So if saving his life means losing Emilia or having a bad future with her i am pretty positive he might even consider suicide...

Also he is way too naive to seriously consider anyone from that house to be the killer,and he cant do anything to investigate against a target he has no idea about...

You might not be able to relate to him but at least understand the guys resolve :/
May 8, 2016 12:42 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Another very enjoyable episode! I still love the sarcasm in the character conversations and word play. Without any extra knowledge of this series (i.e. novels, books, etc), it is paced nicely and keeps me quite interested from week to week. 9/10
May 8, 2016 12:46 PM

Oct 2011
REM NOOOOOOOOOOO WHY !!!!!!! T___T
May 8, 2016 12:51 PM

Mar 2010
Drake1000 said:

Yes, because running around like a headless chicken totally gets you somewhere and I love how ignore that he knows when the killer going to strike thanks to time travel so he knows he has time. That's why left the mansion on the 5th day. Oh also good job at ignoring how he searching house for something with chains and the info gathering session he did with Betty on what could have killed led to being killed in sleep. But hey let's just whine about two random scenes that happened in between all that because unless Subaru isn't running around all over the place every minute he somehow isn't looking into the killer.

BTW since you don't get this either, before Rem revealed herself, the chances of killer being anyone in mansion was low because of what Betty said, nobody in the manor has the skill to use mana drain and curse are banned magic that are only practiced in north. That's why he asked her the question to begin with to eliminate or lower possibilities who could have done it or not. So the chances of this being the work of an outsider was a lot higher.
Iron_MawMay 8, 2016 1:15 PM
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.