Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 8, 2015 5:05 PM

Aug 2013
So it was actually darker than some predicted. Oikura's mother didn't hide her body and kill herself, she was actually dead for 2 years and her body rotted away. Pretty fucked up.

It was a really interesting arc, but imo out of every monogatari arc this one had the most disappointing ending.

Oikura hears the news about her mom and is just like "oh, ok then". She has to move and subsequently transfers schools. Almost doesn't even feel like her problem is solved. We never hear any kind of conclusive speech from her. Then she leaves a note for Araragi which we never know the contents of.
They pretty much brushed over the final talk between the two of them and just showed Araragi chilling with his sisters.

It just felt like the conclusion of the arc wasn't too conclusive. It had a lot of ambiguity and it didn't really leave a feeling of satisfaction.

Interested to see what's going on in the next arc though.

steph96 said:
Ougi is kinda fucked up .( Hanekawa too , if you consider that she only needed 10 seconds to come to the same conclusion)

Does that make the viewers even more fucked up since we all automatically knew immediately after last weeks episode ended?
Nov 8, 2015 5:24 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah, that was brilliant. I can't deny my love for this series, really.
Nov 8, 2015 6:27 PM

Nov 2014
Oh my god! Love and Hate for Oougi XD
And goodbye to Sodachi arc :3

SUMMON SHINOBU~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS: Still, i want to know what the letter was written!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 8, 2015 9:44 PM

Aug 2008
The remaining of Sodachi's mother corpse is brought out along with the garbage right? Did those garbage collector able to enter the room and didn't notice the remain of her corpse?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 8, 2015 10:39 PM

Aug 2015
And I thought one more girl was going to be added to the Araragi harem corp.

*Sigh*
Nov 9, 2015 12:33 AM

Aug 2012
"I'm addicted to your french kisses" XDDD.
Nov 9, 2015 1:46 AM
May 2009
AmMar-Sama said:
The whole mother thing seems unreal.
Her mother died without her noticing? She has been taking care of her corpse for years? Seriously?
If someone died in my house I would definitely notice because the body will develop an awful smell in a couple of days.

Zapredon said:
The remaining of Sodachi's mother corpse is brought out along with the garbage right? Did those garbage collector able to enter the room and didn't notice the remain of her corpse?

Tsssh guys, you are breaking the anime illogical magic.
Nov 9, 2015 3:29 AM
Oct 2013
TheKillerAngel said:
I thought the music was really good.
right? i was literally scrolling through comments to see if it was just me.
Nov 9, 2015 8:38 AM

Jun 2015
Xenocrisi said:

Oh and the mother thing was a bit surreal. Well, I'm watching an anime.

I've seen it in real life.

Except they found the body while cleaning the trash out, after the place was sold.
Nov 9, 2015 2:46 PM

Feb 2008
Ah, they managed to wrap the arc up nicely. Passive-aggressive Ougi was lovely as well, albeit a bit creepy.

I do wonder, what kind of a message did Oikura leave Araragi?
Nov 9, 2015 2:49 PM

Apr 2014
Argyre said:
Ah, they managed to wrap the arc up nicely. Passive-aggressive Ougi was lovely as well, albeit a bit creepy.

eiπ + 1 = 0
Nov 9, 2015 2:54 PM

Feb 2008
moodie said:
Argyre said:

eiπ + 1 = 0

Seems rather likely indeed, in retrospect. Should have thought of that.
Nov 9, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2008
Well, I called it. Mother never left the room, not alive anyway.

While I like that the ending really made me think about what was written on the papers in the blank envelope, at the same time I'm pissed, screaming to myself "Just tell us already, you sonovabitch!"
Nov 9, 2015 4:33 PM

Nov 2014
i think i drop a tear at the end of the episode, but damn, i wanted oikura to join the harem :(
Nov 10, 2015 5:43 AM

Sep 2013
You dont really need to be a genius to figure out what happened to Oikura's mother, although I didnt figure out the "locked room" mystery because I assumed Oikura would see her mother's body(her bones) and I wasnt sure how long she has been taking care of her(two years as it was just revealed). The show just explains that as Oikura being too traumatized to think properly.

I have no idea what Oikura wrote in the letter. Is it just left for the audiences' imagination or is there some kind of hidden message?
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Nov 10, 2015 6:01 PM

May 2014
Hmm, good ep. I loved it.
Nov 10, 2015 8:21 PM

Feb 2013
thank you Shaft for not revealing what was in the letter. that bit of unsolved mystery feels good
Nov 11, 2015 4:48 AM

Aug 2012
The letter is going to bug me now since there's no way of knowing what was written ._______.

Great arc, cant wait for more.
Nov 11, 2015 10:22 AM

May 2013
AOTS 5/5

oikura is really a good person inside
Nov 11, 2015 1:24 PM

Sep 2014
finally caught up with the the whole series.....kind of sad now i have to wait week by week for more.
Nov 11, 2015 8:51 PM

Oct 2014
Intonsum said:
Wait wait wait...
How Oikura's mother's corpse disappeared from the room? And what was with that countdown? How Hanekawa proved her position?

From what I've seen, consulting three different fansubs... apparently she kept feeding her until she was no longer her mother in Oikura's eyes, at which point she became one with the garbage that was piled on in her house because, as one of the hints said, she could not take care of the huge house by herself (there's also the hint about how long a corpse remains as such).

She was mental, so the moment she could not recognize her mother's shape anymore she thought she had "disappeared/ran away", which she didn't: she was just a corpse of a corpse if you'd like. Oikura deceived herself (voluntarily or involuntarily, we'll never know) and just got rid of whatever was left of her as if it was just the average waste, since the house was full of it, and it smelled gross regardless of the corpse.

It was a tad rushed in my opinion, had to watch everything a few times to make sense of it all, but I think I reached the intended conclusion.

On a side note, I think Senjougahara's messages and Oikura's letter are related. I'd have to extend myself a lot with this, and it's all a supposition anyway, but my gut tells me the whole romantic mood (and a bit nervous on Hitagi's side too), seeking for Koyokoyo's attention by reiterating her hurt finger condition (which could have totally been a result of her punching Oikura again) was just a reaction to what she intuitively knew Oikura would write down for Koyokoyo before she left, or maybe Oikura told her herself.

Hitagi is actually an insecure girl, despite her cold appearance, and is scared of losing Araragi as shown in early Nisemonogatari when she chained him and decided to feed him and keep him safe from others, since as we already know he has a tendency of involving himself with many troubled girls and helping them save themselves... so she wanted to show Araragi her presence so she wouldn't lose him! But... obviously Oikura isn't going to say such things to him, specialy when she's leaving, she just wants to play around and make Hitagi worry a little as a payback for stealing Araragi from her. Yeah, it's pretty clear she isn't too happy about Koyokoyo and Hitagi being together...

So, what I think might have happened is that the letters were blank, it was an envelope filled with blank sheets of paper, and that's what made Araragi chuckle.

"In the end, Koyomi did nothing that was expected on him, and the empty envelope symbolizes it—that he was the wrong choice, a waste of time."

(from earlier this arc)

But not this time. That's the conclusion I came to, and I find it beautiful.
SonataNov 11, 2015 9:03 PM
Nov 11, 2015 9:05 PM

Oct 2014
Sorry for the english, not my native language :d
Nov 12, 2015 3:54 AM

Aug 2015
Gotta love those Gahara messages
Nov 12, 2015 5:24 AM

Mar 2013
Finally caught up to the latest ep!

that ends the arc. Shinobu mail next. cant wait!

also,
gino_san said:
"I'm addicted to your french kisses" XDDD.
FreedChickens said:
Gotta love those Gahara messages

Nov 12, 2015 6:02 AM

Apr 2014
eturnity said:
thank you Shaft for not revealing what was in the letter. that bit of unsolved mystery feels good
wasnt shaft, it wasnt revealed in the novel as well
Nov 12, 2015 11:06 AM

Oct 2011
Really satisfying conclusion overall. Love Senjougahara's messages, haha. Really wondering what Oikura wrote...
Nov 12, 2015 6:22 PM
Feb 2014
moodie said:
Argyre said:

eiπ + 1 = 0

If I recall correctly the envelope cointained atleast more than one sheet of paper. Are you suggesting she wrote one letter/number per sheet or the same content multiple times?
Nov 12, 2015 6:23 PM

Apr 2014
kairui said:
moodie said:
eiπ + 1 = 0

If I recall correctly the envelope cointained atleast more than one sheet of paper. Are you suggesting she wrote one letter/number per sheet or the same content multiple times?
no

first page is eiπ
second page is +1
third page is 0

lmfao
Nov 13, 2015 2:33 AM

Feb 2010
Wouldn't the corpse release a painful smell?

I mean it was bugging me the whole time.
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Nov 13, 2015 5:01 AM

Oct 2014
Cashdax said:
Wouldn't the corpse release a painful smell?

I mean it was bugging me the whole time.

Same for the garbage piled up in her house, it was garbage among garbage to her probably.
Nov 13, 2015 11:30 AM
Nov 2014
Nice ending.
Nov 13, 2015 11:47 AM

Aug 2014
That was quite the twist. A shame Oikura isn't around though, woulda loved to see her and Araragi's realtion develop now that he confronted her with the mystery :s
Nov 13, 2015 1:57 PM

Jul 2013
Too late to comment that now, but did anyone notice the booty of Ougi?

Nov 13, 2015 6:44 PM

Nov 2014
Illyricus said:

now you have my attention
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2015 7:11 PM

Sep 2014
Illyricus said:

didnt bother to notice. i'm still surprised it has hands i waiting for claws to pop out of those sleeves.
Nov 13, 2015 8:56 PM
Sep 2014
I cant understand, does Hanekawa really need to drenched herself wet to solve about the accident?
is it because her stripped hair or what?
Nov 14, 2015 5:22 AM

Aug 2013
This arc isnt bad, im just getting really burnt out and bored with the monogatari series as a whole :/ Feels bad because i absolutely love Bakemonogatarai and Nisemonogatari. But after this many episodes the style of this series has gotten monotonous.
Nov 14, 2015 6:13 AM

Dec 2009
A good end to the arc. Really felt bad for Oikura, I found her to be kind of annoying in the beginning and unreasonable, especially towards Araragi not being able to get the hint during middle school about her family situation. But towards the end, understanding her more, I've gain sympathy for her. Wouldn't mind seeing more of her in the future, and judging from the people above me, it seems it will be true.

Also found it hilarious when Ougi was being passively aggressive towards Hanekawa after leaving meeting up with them again haha But still like Hanekawa better.
Nov 15, 2015 5:42 AM

May 2015
Cozatto said:
illivinni said:
ok, now I want to know what was written in the letter. Spoiler anyone? (With spoiler tag ofcourse)

I am tempted to open that tbh.
Nov 15, 2015 2:04 PM

Oct 2008
that was already the conclusion of Oikura arc??!? so bland and anti-climatic!
LOL at that text from Senjougahara...so bold! "Many Deep Kisses!"
4/5.

Nov 15, 2015 2:55 PM
Apr 2014
wow. never thought Araragi would stop Hanekawa and Ougi like that. I mean it sure wasn't a nice thought but considering how calm he usually gets around abnormal stuff it was a bit surprising.

On a sidenote. This scenario was still pretty "calm". And that was the worst they could imagine? I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I expected more from at least Ougi.

Nice episode though.
Nov 20, 2015 11:20 PM

Jul 2013
lol that Ikkyuu-san pose by Hanekawa..

I always love these little references that Monogatari did
Nov 23, 2015 1:03 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not gonna lie....I didn't particularly like this arc.

It just didn't captivate me as much as all the other arcs monogatari has done.
Nov 25, 2015 3:46 PM

Feb 2013
Wonderful ending to this arc. I'll miss Sodachi. She was a fun character. (harem+1)
Dec 20, 2015 1:36 AM

Jul 2012
"I've been looking for a lost child"

Ougi playing everyone like a damn fiddle
Dec 21, 2015 9:48 AM

May 2012
A slower yet still very interesting episode! Quite liked that ending letter, had quite an effect to be honest with her depart, but well I actually started liking that character and the case.

Either way a pretty great episode and end of this arc, let's see what's next.
Dec 23, 2015 11:49 PM

Nov 2012
Very good. Very very good SHAFT.
Dec 28, 2015 2:41 PM
Sep 2015
KaoruMatsuoka said:
I started off this arc hating Oikura, but now I feel really sorry for her...

In all honesty, for meta reasons I cannot see why Nisio Isin would use an arc this late into the series to introduce a completely new character instead of giving a previously established one some more development. And now it looks like she's going to leave as soon as she came in, which means that it was pretty pointless to have her in there at all. She could have just been a flashback character honestly.

Senjougahara seemed way too smug at the end. I mean seriously, you made her stay home from school for two days and you're bragging that you could forgive her? Does it kill you to maybe at least acknowledge you might have gone a bit too far?

Whatever, still a 10/10 show. The focus on Hanekawa is nice too.

Maybe the Oikura arc is not just that pointless, yep it is connected on Araragi's past but as we can see it looks like it was affected his present life (it looks like a filler but it's not)

it looks like Sodachi lost, made Ouigi the main character. And gave hints of who she really is.
Jan 8, 2016 4:30 AM

Jan 2013
Took Araragi long enough to find out.
I loved Senjou's text to Araragi, just teasing with him :D

Glad to see things worked out for Oikura, nice conclusion.
Jan 8, 2016 2:27 PM
Aug 2013
A little question.

I've wondered about this before but this episode made me wonder again.
Is Koyomi portrayed as being somewhat slow? In various parts throughout the seasons there have been occasions where the answer was perfectly clear to the audience, and to the other characters too. Yet poor Koyomi was just standing there asking dumb questions.
Is that intentional or is it just me?

I think it does fit in with his character of a moral fool.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

154 by TheColonel76 »»
May 8, 6:19 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2015

197 by TheColonel76 »»
May 8, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Wyatt - Oct 3, 2015

297 by TheColonel76 »»
May 7, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

185 by RioFS »»
Apr 6, 10:15 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2015

127 by RioFS »»
Apr 5, 7:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.