Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 9, 2015 11:49 AM

Oct 2014
It seems people like a series alot based off that one thing. Perfect examples are madoka and nge. They both "deconstruct" mecha and magical girl anime. Seems for a lot of people that's the selling point. Nge is mixed with some hating the series and characters but I havent seen much hate for madoka. I think the creators of anime that "deconstructs" a genre isn't because they're trying to. NGE (anime) was supposed to be a generic monster of the week anime, then things outside of the show happened.

Are we not critical enough of shows like these and just give them higher ratings because they're darker than most of their counterparts?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2015 11:53 AM

Jun 2013
No, people like the shows in part because they're innovative, but more-so because they offer realism, and are generally well-written.

Being a deconstruction with shitty writing doesn't a good show make.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 9, 2015 11:56 AM

Oct 2014
YandereTheEmo said:
No, people like the shows in part because they're innovative, but more-so because they offer realism, and are generally well-written.

Examples of shitty deconstruction?
Jul 9, 2015 11:57 AM

Mar 2015
not really, just look at school days.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Apr 2014
YandereTheEmo said:

yeah

people don't necessarily love school days because it's a deconstruction of harem or medaka box because it's a deconstruction of shounen

edit: ninja'd by 4 seconds
mochabearbruh said:

also whats up dude you banned from ktt??

Jun 2015
What ever happens out side of the show to change it happens, and it's interesting to see the creators situation/feelings implemented in to the show, I don't see why anyone would give a show a lower rating for accidentally or even trying to do something most shows don't such as "deconstructing" it's genre uhh, and I don't think people will rate a shit show good just bc it tries/success in deconstructing itself or its genre lol
Jul 9, 2015 11:59 AM

Dec 2012
tenkousei said:

people don't necessarily love school days because it's a deconstruction of harem

School days is not a deconstruction, neither is Madoka.
Jul 9, 2015 12:02 PM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
tenkousei said:

people don't necessarily love school days because it's a deconstruction of harem

tvtropes said:
deconstruction means to take apart a trope so as to better understand its meaning and relevance to us in Real Life.

EX: Puella Magi Madoka Magica deconstructs many of the most beloved Magical Girl tropes. Namely: the mascot/sidekick, the henshin item, and the apparent "perks".

Even aside from the negative stuff that's particular to Madoka, it also shows that the livelihood of Magical Girl Warriors in general involves a lot of sacrifices: not only potentially putting your life on the line, but also, having to constantly be on the look-out for and fighting bad guys means sacrificing a lot of what it means to have a normal, healthy childhood, by giving up time that could be spent with family, friends or developing your own passion. Other Magical Girl shows will occasionally acknowledge these sacrifices (like with certain Ami story lines in Sailor Moon) but since it's their "destiny," it's easy to handwave them because it doesn't matter what they want anyway. But in Madoka Magica, these are normal girls who have a choice (well, for the most part - Kyubey's one Manipulative Bastard) about whether to risk all this for the sake of being magical superheroes. It's no coincidence that a lot of the Magical Girls either start out orphaned/alone (Mami, and seemingly Homura) or become that way ( Kyoko), since they have the least to lose, and those who don't are in for the biggest worlds of pain (like Sayaka, or Kyoko before she was orphaned).
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 9, 2015 12:02 PM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
tenkousei said:

and what's your reasoning behind that? because it's pretty much universally recognized as one for going the exact opposite way of a generic 'happy harem ending' development.

Jul 9, 2015 12:03 PM

Jun 2013
tsudecimo said:
tenkousei said:

^.
Jul 9, 2015 12:04 PM

Oct 2014
tenkousei said:
YandereTheEmo said:

yeah

people don't necessarily love school days because it's a deconstruction of harem or medaka box because it's a deconstruction of shounen

edit: ninja'd by 4 seconds
mochabearbruh said:

also whats up dude you banned from ktt??

Yo! Yeah atm but its possible I can come back soon

Unyilkdr said:
not really, just look at school days.

Some people like it e even tho its very unrealistic in what happens
Jul 9, 2015 12:06 PM

Nov 2012
please no

Unyilkdr said:
-
>tvtropes
Jul 9, 2015 12:07 PM

Feb 2015
Unyilkdr said:
snip
[/quote]

TVtropes

plz no
Jul 9, 2015 12:08 PM

Apr 2014
like, the best deconstructions to me arent just polar opposites of the genres stereotypes and archetypes. theyre multifaceted and complex like utena, bokurano, tsubasa, etc and theyre not necessarily obvious deconstructions. writing non generic characters and developments are easy (see manga like shamo) but making them interesting is completely different.

Jul 9, 2015 12:10 PM

Mar 2015
laidellent said:
Unyilkdr said:
snip

TVtropes

plz no
sorry, is they can't be relied, because what i know, deconstruction is like try something different from what thing already mainstream. then what the meaning of deconstruction tropes? please correct me. not only said it's wrong. because tv tropes gave me the closest meaning from what i know.
Jul 9, 2015 12:11 PM

Apr 2014
mochabearbruh said:

hope youre back soon bro

Jul 9, 2015 12:11 PM

Oct 2014
offmodel said:
Not everyone is a fan of deconstructionism, OP, that's one reason I love the Leijiverse so much - it wasn't deconstructing anything, it was trying to bring back the myth and folklore storytelling style for the space age, which I think is a far more unique idea than deconstructing everything. The same thing with The Big O and Gasaraki as mecha shows from the 90's, the first season of The Big O is a first class neo-noir with heavy Aristotelian elements (there's a reason Frank Miller loves both Ayn Rand and Batman) as well as being a magic robot show. By the same token, Gasaraki was more of a throwback, 70's style sci-fi series within a mecha show, not a deconstruction at all. Deconstructionism is just all the rage on college campuses right now, so you're bound to see it become prominent in a medium that requires some kind of higher education now that the apprenticeship system of animation is dead.

I see. Interesting you say that because it seems many people (especially of the college age) are watching evangelion and they love it because of that. let's take shinji and asuka. People either love them or hate them for numerous reasonsreasons. Would you call asuka a typical tsundere and shinji a pussy or typical harem style mc (with reasons) aside from that's just how they are?
Jul 9, 2015 12:15 PM

Dec 2012
tenkousei said:
tsudecimo said:

and what's your reasoning behind that? because it's pretty much universally recognized as one for going the exact opposite way of a generic 'happy harem ending' development.

universally, eh. It's only known for the ending. Some think it's a deconstruction, but that is based and founded through ignorance.

School days is an eroge adaptation with the bad ending adapted. Every eroge has sex scenes hence the name, and some of them have bad ending sometimes gory ones. It doesn't show what it's like to have a harem exist in real life, it's just has cheating as the central theme, Harem is an already real life concept, which where the genre took the name..

There is a lot of anime where the protagonist have sexual relationships with female characters (Yosugra no sora or however you spell that, WA 2, Rambling hearts etc), they are just not as common in anime due to limitations in terms of what they can air. The harem manga that have sex in them don't get adapted. And since most people who claim it's a deconstruction only saw harem anime with normal ecchi and stuff, they automatically assume school days is something groundbreaking.

It's all unintentional. Only real hipsters find School days to be good or something more than a sex invested american-like soap drama trite
Jul 9, 2015 12:18 PM

Sep 2013
Madoka is a semi deconstruction of mahou shoujo (it still had a happy ending)

This is a full deconstruction of mahou shoujo
http://myanimelist.net/manga/40175/Mahou_Shoujo_of_the_End
Jul 9, 2015 12:20 PM

Feb 2015
Unyilkdr said:
laidellent said:

TVtropes

plz no
sorry, is they can't be relied, because what i know, deconstruction is like try something different from what thing already mainstream. then what the meaning of deconstruction tropes? please correct me. not only said it's wrong. because tv tropes gave me the closest meaning from what i know.

There are far more complex definitions out there in the net.By my little knowledge,the simplest and most common method of applying Deconstruction to tropes in fiction in general would be something like this by my understanding(I might be wrong though):
"How would this trope play out with Real Life consequences applied to it?"
or "What would cause this trope to appear in Real Life?"

Now you take the entire concept of Madoka and apply it to them..I think you should get my point.
Jul 9, 2015 12:21 PM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
tenkousei said:

universally, eh. It's only known for the ending. Some think it's a deconstruction, but that is based and founded through ignorance.

School days is an eroge adaptation with the bad ending adapted. Every eroge has sex scenes hence the name, and some of them have bad ending sometimes gory ones. It doesn't show what it's like to have a harem exist in real life, it's just has cheating as the central theme, Harem is an already real life concept, which where the genre took the name..

There is a lot of anime where the protagonist have sexual relationships with female characters (Yosugra no sora or however you spell that, WA 2, Rambling hearts etc), they are just not as common in anime due to limitations in terms of what they can air. The harem manga that have sex in them don't get adapted. And since most people who claim it's a deconstruction only saw harem anime with normal ecchi and stuff, they automatically assume school days is something groundbreaking.

It's all unintentional. Only real hipsters find School days to be good or something more than a sex invested american-like soap drama trite
so, deconstruction must be groundbreaking? thanks for that. then my second example will be right. mahou no princess minky momo. that ending.
Jul 9, 2015 12:22 PM

Nov 2012
ichii_1 said:
Madoka is a semi deconstruction of mahou shoujo (it still had a happy ending)

This is a full deconstruction of mahou shoujo
http://myanimelist.net/manga/40175/Mahou_Shoujo_of_the_End

this isn't even a mahou shoujo, it's a zombie survival story only with 'magical girls' instead of zombies. and it sucks
Jul 9, 2015 12:23 PM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
tenkousei said:

yeah i agree with a lot of that. but you're missing the point because it doesn't matter whether the creators intentionally tried to deconstruct the genre and do something groundbreaking.

it just so happened that harem, as a whole genre, sticks towards happy endings where the male lead enjoys the company of multiple women and the viewer would want to put themselves in their shoes. maybe they pick a girl at the end, maybe they still can't decide by the end. either way it's fanservice. the MC is still 'winning.'

the fact that they decided to adapt a bad ending of an eroge and broke off completely from a typical harem end tilted the genre on its head. i think school days sucks and its not good because of that whatsoever. but it most def destroys the fanservice part of harem because at the end of the day you dont want to be in makoto's (i think that's the MC's name...) shoes. in that way, i'd say it's an deconstruction. it's not about school days itself, it's about the deviation school days just so happened to take from everything else in the genre.

and youre absolutely right about school days not being the only harem deconstruction.
raindropJul 9, 2015 12:39 PM

Aug 2014
Welp, when I watched NGE, I really couldn't care less if it's a deconstruction of a genre from which I barely watched FUCKING ANYTHING. I wasn't aware of possible tropes and shit that the show was deconstructing, I just liked it for studying the mind of the main character (character, not "characters", as the emphasis on Shinji is tons heavier, but that doesn't really mean everyone else is excluded) in the midst of tons of pretentious shit called the "story" of NGE (it's probably the only example of a show riding on its characters that can still go on with shit story that I know of from what I watched).

Also, people called Gundam a deconstruction for its own period of time, but still, who could care much about something he does not know too much about.

As for Madoka, same thing. I'm not aware of the tropes, really. But I even heard that thing seems more like a reconstruction of the genre.
Poltergeist18Jul 9, 2015 12:29 PM

Mar 2013
Would Nozuki No Ana or Kodomo No Jikan be a deconstruction?
Jul 9, 2015 12:26 PM

Dec 2012
tenkousei said:

yeah i agree with a lot of that. but you're missing the point because it doesn't matter whether the creators intentionally tried to deconstruct the genre and do something groundbreaking.

it just so happened that harem, as a whole genre, sticks towards happy endings where the male lead enjoys the company of multiple women and the viewer would want to put themselves in their shoes. maybe they pick a girl at the end, maybe they still can;t decide by the end. either way it's fanservice. the MC is still 'winning.'

the fact that they decided to adapt a bad ending of an eroge and broke off completely from a typical harem end tilted the genre on its head. i think school days sucks and its not good because of that whatsoever. but it most def destroys the fanservice part of harem because at the end of the day you dont want to be in makoto's (i think that's the MC's name...) shoes. in that way, i'd say it's an deconstruction. it's not about school days itself, it's about the deviation school days just so happened to take from everything else in the genre.

and youre absolutely right about school days not being the only harem deconstruction.

I don't think you know what deconstruction means then. The term you are looking for is subversion.
Jul 9, 2015 12:27 PM

Jun 2014
Lancehot said:
I didn't like NGE because it was about a whiny little boy who faps to comatose little girls. I am a critic.

The series is a actually a proper deconstruction of a father-son relationship between Gendo and Shinji
masterpiece in that regard
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 9, 2015 12:28 PM

Mar 2013
Lancehot said:
I liked Madoka because it was about whiny little girls I could fap to. I didn't like NGE because it was about a whiny little boy who faps to comatose little girls. I am a critic.

Is there something wrong with fapping to comatose girls?
Jul 9, 2015 12:33 PM

Oct 2014
offmodel said:
mochabearbruh said:

I see. Interesting you say that because it seems many people (especially of the college age) are watching evangelion and they love it because of that. let's take shinji and asuka. People either love them or hate them for numerous reasonsreasons. Would you call asuka a typical tsundere and shinji a pussy or typical harem style mc (with reasons) aside from that's just how they are?

I would like to answer this, but, I have fought too many Eva fans for one lifetime. If people don't like deconstructionism but want more of a thinking person's mecha series from the last 20 years, I'd recommend The Big O and Gasaraki, because they are definitely not in that mold.

*I'm gonna go hide now.
lol understandable and I'll check out gasaraki and rewatch big o sometime soon

tenkousei said:
mochabearbruh said:

hope youre back soon bro
thanks bro

Unyilkdr said:
will check it out, no promises on how soon I can finish it tho lol

Mar 2015
maybe this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/518/Mahou_no_Princess_Minky_Momo ? i don't even think people remember it. and last 2 episode are "WOW". i watch it as my childhood and it give me trauma, maybe this anime is reason why i don't like magical girls until now. i actually already forget it, but i remember it again because someone talk about reason behind it in old forums.

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
tenkousei said:

it just so happened that harem, as a whole genre, sticks towards happy endings where the male lead enjoys the company of multiple women and the viewer would want to put themselves in their shoes. maybe they pick a girl at the end, maybe they still can't decide by the end. either way it's fanservice. the MC is still 'winning.'

I don't think you know what deconstruction means then. The term you are looking for is subversion.

i get it... school days is far from a criticism of the harem genre so i really get why you don't consider it a deconstruction. it's not intentional and it's mindless. but i think you have to consider the audience who have made it more than it really is. like the western anime community especially has assumed school days as a work that shows the negative moral consequences of fucking multiple women. whether these people are dumb thats up to you but thats just part of how its been received.

i havent read up anything about the specific definitions of those words so you're probably right though.
raindropJul 9, 2015 12:39 PM

Jul 9, 2015 12:37 PM

Nov 2012
PeripheralVision said:
Lancehot said:
I liked Madoka because it was about whiny little girls I could fap to. I didn't like NGE because it was about a whiny little boy who faps to comatose little girls. I am a critic.

the problem was that shinji didn't fap to the best girl
Jul 9, 2015 12:37 PM

Mar 2015
mochabearbruh said:
will check it out, no promises on how soon I can finish it tho lol
i don't thing they are exist anymore. they are get soo many complain because the ending.
KumaJul 9, 2015 12:41 PM
Jul 9, 2015 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
Poltergeist18 said:
Welp, when I watched NGE, I really couldn't care less if it's a deconstruction of a genre from which I barely watched FUCKING ANYTHING. I wasn't aware of possible tropes and shit that the show was deconstructing, I just liked it for studying the mind of the main character (character, not "characters", as the emphasis on Shinji is tons heavier, but that doesn't really mean everyone else is excluded) in the midst of tons of pretentious shit called the "story" of NGE (it's probably the only example of a show riding on its characters that can still go on with shit story that I know of from what I watched).

Also, people called Gundam a deconstruction for its own period of time, but still, who could care much about something he does not know too much about.

As for Madoka, same thing. I'm not aware of the tropes, really. But I even heard that thing seems more like a reconstruction of the genre.
Poltergeist18 said:

With that being said,Would you call asuka a typical tsundere and shinji a pussy or typical harem style mc (with reasons of their past) aside from that's just how they are?
Jul 9, 2015 12:41 PM

Oct 2014
silverwalls said:
PeripheralVision said:

the problem was that shinji didn't fap to the best girl
his mother was the best objectively speaking
Jul 9, 2015 12:50 PM

Jun 2013
tenkousei said:

i get it... school days is far from a criticism of the harem genre so i really get why you don't consider it a deconstruction. it's not intentional and it's mindless. but i think you have to consider the audience who have made it more than it really is. like the western anime community especially has assumed school days as a work that shows the negative moral consequences of fucking multiple women. whether these people are dumb thats up to you but thats just part of how its been received.

i havent read up anything about the specific definitions of those words so you're probably right though.

Don't backpedal, because while you didn't have the definition in front of you, you were technically right.

A deconstruction is an evaluation of the themes, meanings, and internal workings implicit within a work--or in this case, a genre--through critical analysis.

Under this definition, school days does evaluate the notion of stringing girls along, and the significance of such flippancy in relationships--especially with the frailty of teenage emotions, and their tendency to flip-flop between different extremes. Which is exemplified in the characters' actions.

Furthermore, the show delves into the psyche of an inexperienced boy who's impulses overtake his capacity to empathize with those around them, which in some sense is perfectly understandable and logical when coupled with the fact that many girls are literally throwing themselves at him. Once again, paying homage to the illogicality of harem tropes and internal workings.

There's more reasoning behind it, but you get the point. Intent doesn't necessarily have to be there for a series to offer some form of critical analysis--if a theme is present, unbeknownst to the work's creator, that doesn't mean that the theme itself is null.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Jul 9, 2015 12:56 PM
Sep 2011
Uuuugh this word again. This has become my most hated word. Shows with this label tend to have pseudo-intellectual fans who claim that other people "missed the point" of a show or "didn't watch the same show" because they didn't interpret the show's symbolism the same way. It's also a breeding ground for "This genre is mindless kiddie crap, but twisting it into something grim is awesome!"

The term has so many different meanings to so many different people, that it's become impossible to even pinpoint what shows qualify as a deconstruction. One could argue that "Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku" is a deconstruction because of how the "other world" is depicted, but someone else could just call that a dark subversion.

Same goes with Madoka. A lot of people who haven't actually watched magical girl shows would say that Madoka deconstructs the genre by showing the dangers of fighting monsters, how it would take away from your social life, and explains where the mascots come from and why they do what they do, which a lot of magical girl shows actually do. You're just not gonna see a character get their head bitten off on a show targeted toward grade schoolers.

The only show kids show that is labeled a deconstruction I can think of is Digimon Tamers. The first season was like "Digimon are real creatures and magic and stuff" but Tamers goes so far as to explain in science terms how Digimon can be created and how they can assume physical forms in the real world. It also shows just how dangerous it can be having a MONSTER in the hands of a school child, and how the government would react to having these things rampaging around.
Jul 9, 2015 12:58 PM

Apr 2014
I don't really get the meaning of deconstruction actually but from what people wrote in this thread, Deconstruction is a re-build of a let's say a genre, and apply real life risk and shit to it.
Like a deconsturction of ecchi genre is when a man got caught while peeping to a girls in a hot spring, usually in the anime the girls will only throw a bucket at him. but if it's a deconstruction of ecchi genre then the man will be arrested and going to jail, and so the anime will show his daily life in the prison thanks to the crime of peeping. right?
Jul 9, 2015 1:00 PM

Aug 2014

I don't think I would call them that. Asuka never breaks out of her attitude and just spirals further in as the events in the show progress while showing her interested in Shinji in a twisted way from time to time (and she has her childhood to thank for that as she doesn't feel like she's there unless she accomplishes something for herself, having that complex placed upon her by her mother who wasn't aware of the real Asuka anymore after what happened to her, clinging onto that doll in the show).

Shinji grows enough balls when the need arises and fights, making a choice that people admitted to be right and therefore avoids consequences to his well being and those of others', but he still faces consequences brought upon him by other people becoming more scared of making choices than before. He doesn't progress as a character in a regular sense, the dude goes deeper into depression. He's a lot more interesting than a regular pussy looking at it that way.
Jul 9, 2015 1:00 PM

Mar 2015
>anime
>deconstruction
pls
Jul 9, 2015 1:05 PM

Apr 2014
YandereTheEmo said:

Don't backpedal, because while you didn't have the definition in front of you, you were technically right.

A deconstruction is an evaluation of the themes, meanings, and internal workings implicit within a work--or in this case, a genre--through critical analysis.

Under this definition, school days does evaluate the notion of stringing girls along, and the significance of such flippancy in relationships--especially with the frailty of teenage emotions, and their tendency to flip-flop between different extremes. Which is exemplified in the characters' actions.

Furthermore, the show delves into the psyche of an inexperienced boy who's impulses overtake his capacity to empathize with those around them, which in some sense is perfectly understandable and logical when coupled with the fact that many girls are literally throwing themselves at him. Once again, paying homage to the illogicality of harem tropes and internal workings.

There's more reasoning behind it, but you get the point. Intent doesn't necessarily have to be there for a series to offer some form of critical analysis--if a theme is present, unbeknownst to the work's creator, that doesn't mean that the theme itself is null.

thanks for this clarification. it's kind of interesting how school days manages to reveal the flaws of the harem genre but itself is ridiculously generic as a tragedy. i dont see people making that distinction.

i think that's what throws people off more than anything. women falling all over you and letting you walk all over them = unrealistic, but how realistic is this ending? i feel like people who are just, super realists take issue with that and refuse to acknowledge school days. but that edginess and lack of realism has nothing to do with how it still criticizes (whether intentionally or unintentionally) the concept of a harem. at least IMO.

Jul 9, 2015 1:05 PM

May 2012
Harem_King said:
PoeticJustice said:
School Days is not a deconstruction. Dark does not equal deconstruction.
so being dark in a light hearted genre isn't a deconstruction

wow mal never seizes to amaze me with the ignorance

"Deconstruction (French: déconstruction) is a method of critical analysis of philosophical and literary texts which emphasizes inquiry into the variable projection of the meaning and message of critical works, the meaning in relation to the reader and the intended audience, and the assumptions implicit in the embodied forms of expression."

You have never read a book before obviously. The Great Gatsby? That is a deconstruction. Critiques by Nietzche on society? That is a deconstruction.
TyrelJul 9, 2015 1:35 PM
Jul 9, 2015 1:06 PM

Dec 2012
tenkousei said:
tsudecimo said:

My problem with labeling anything a deconstruction is the reasons RLinksoul listed

RLinksoul said:

The term has so many different meanings to so many different people, that it's become impossible to even pinpoint what shows qualify as a deconstruction. One could argue that "Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku" is a deconstruction because of how the "other world" is depicted, but someone else could just call that a dark subversion.

Same goes with Madoka. A lot of people who haven't actually watched magical girl shows would say that Madoka deconstructs the genre by showing the dangers of fighting monsters, how it would take away from your social life, and explains where the mascots come from and why they do what they do, which a lot of magical girl shows actually do. You're just not gonna see a character get their head bitten off on a show targeted toward grade schoolers.

I think the real meaning of the term in literary is much more complex that bringing real life consequences to fantasy settings (someone posted it to me, and I honestly wasn't able to fully comprehend it, as it stated that everything can be deconstruction, as it has something to do with contradiction in the thematic narrative or something like this)
Jul 9, 2015 1:06 PM

Apr 2014
PoeticJustice said:
Harem_King said:
so being dark in a light hearted genre isn't a deconstruction

wow mal never seizes to amaze me with the ignorance

"Deconstruction (French: déconstruction) is a method of critical analysis of philosophical and literary texts which emphasizes inquiry into the variable projection of the meaning and message of critical works, the meaning in relation to the reader and the intended audience, and the assumptions implicit in the embodied forms of expression."

You have never read a book before obviously. The Great Gatsby? That is a deconstruction. Critiques by Nietzche on society? That is a deconstruction.
basically ur describing school days

thx for the support buddy
TyrelJul 9, 2015 1:36 PM
Jul 9, 2015 1:07 PM

Nov 2013
+1 on the School Days not being a deconstruction. If anything, off-color harem manga (bear with me here) like Shinigami-sama to 4-nin no Kanojo deconstruct harems, picking apart the character tropes or amplifying them while sticking to a literal dating them all harem. The World God Only Knows is also way more of a deconstruction than School Days, and even calling that one is a stretch.

School Days, the VN, has like 20 endings, some of them happy, one of them harem. It's just that School Days is waaaay more famous for its grisly bad endings, and there are more than just the ones shown in the anime adaptation. Choosing a bad ending that's meant to shock is not the same as deconstruction.

Madoka, on the other hand, is not only the textbook example of deconstruction, but its practical fucking ideal, at least in anime.
Jul 9, 2015 1:09 PM

May 2012
SNaG21 said:
+1 on the School Days not being a deconstruction. If anything, off-color harem manga (bear with me here) like Shinigami-sama to 4-nin no Kanojo deconstruct harems, picking apart the character tropes or amplifying them while sticking to a literal dating them all harem. The World God Only Knows is also way more of a deconstruction than School Days, and even calling that one is a stretch.

School Days, the VN, has like 20 endings, some of them happy, one of them harem. It's just that School Days is waaaay more famous for its grisly bad endings, and there are more than just the ones shown in the anime adaptation. Choosing a bad ending that's meant to shock is not the same as deconstruction.

Madoka, on the other hand, is not only the textbook example of deconstruction, but its practical fucking ideal, at least in anime.

Madoka isn't a deconstruction either. I don't see how you can bash one and praise the other, when Madoka is pretty much the School Days of the magical girl genre.
Jul 9, 2015 1:10 PM

Apr 2014
so now ppl in this topic are going to tell me Gakkou Gurashi isn't a deconstruction of moe sol

May 2012
Harem_King said:
PoeticJustice said:

basically ur describing school days

thx for the support buddy

>Doesn't explain how

You sure convinced me buddy.
TyrelJul 9, 2015 1:39 PM

Jun 2013
PoeticJustice said:

Madoka isn't a deconstruction either. I don't see how you can bash one and praise the other, when Madoka is pretty much the School Days of the magical girl genre.

I'm sure you have your reasons for not once explaining how they are not deconstructions, but it would be wonderful if some critical reasoning and analysis could go into your responses, rather than just claiming that neither show fits the mold.
YandereTheEmo said:
Jul 9, 2015 1:12 PM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:

I think the real meaning of the term in literary is much more complex that bringing real life consequences to fantasy settings (someone posted it to me, and I honestly wasn't able to fully comprehend it, as it stated that everything can be deconstruction, as it has something to do with contradiction in the thematic narrative or something like this)

yeah i think whether it's realistic is the major issue here.
tenkousei said:

thanks for this clarification. it's kind of interesting how school days manages to reveal the flaws of the harem genre but itself is ridiculously generic as a tragedy. i dont see people making that distinction.

i think that's what throws people off more than anything. women falling all over you and letting you walk all over them = unrealistic, but how realistic is this ending? i feel like people who are just, super realists take issue with that and refuse to acknowledge school days. but that edginess and lack of realism has nothing to do with how it still criticizes (whether intentionally or unintentionally) the concept of a harem. at least IMO.

i see both sides of the argument, it depends on how lenient you are i guess. like, would you consider that murder/suicide scenario at the end a real life consequence? or is that too far fetched? then we'd have to start talking about Japanese society and shit and i'd rather not do that Lol.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 28 minutes ago

12 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

18 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 12 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

65 by -YaoiBoy- »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

57 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.