Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 1, 2015 11:04 PM

May 2013
I stream long-running (like 100+ episodes) on Crunchyroll, if they have it. Otherwise, I download and occasionally stream some other episodes on Crunchyroll.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Nov 1, 2015 11:12 PM

Jul 2012
No streaming. Downloading is best.
Nov 2, 2015 12:41 PM

Feb 2015
"legal" definition: Paying 10+ bucks a pop (month) to just look at a show. If you choose not to pay, just enjoy torturing yourself via ads.

"illegal" definition: Not paying a cent to watch anything. Everyone is equal and there is no "exclusive" membership or anything like that. tl;dr, Free.

Drunk_Samurai said:
Sidholun said:
I pay for premium on crunchy to have my conscience clear, then download hq files to watch when i want.

I pirate and my conscience is completely clear.

^
TomDayNov 2, 2015 12:47 PM
Nov 2, 2015 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
pirated legal stream

Horriblesub ftw
Nov 2, 2015 12:46 PM

Feb 2012
Was using crucnhyroll for as long as can remember until i found Nyaa(gods gift to mankind) a couple of years ago.
Nov 2, 2015 12:55 PM

Aug 2015
I just do what comes out best that moment. But msot times it's illegal, I think.

Nov 2, 2015 3:46 PM

Aug 2015
I mostly use legal streaming. The only time I use illegal sites is when I can't find an anime (usually older ones) on a legal site or on blu ray/dvd.
Nov 2, 2015 3:48 PM

Apr 2013
If Crunchyroll had all the airing anime, I would pay for it.

But they don't so I stick to illegal streaming.
Oct 15, 2016 9:07 AM
Nov 2015
Will use legal when i earn, but right now, illegal
Oct 19, 2016 2:07 PM

Jan 2015
Okay I want to point out that I've been using Netflix (a legal site) to watch Bones and I want to say that in those few days I used Netflix it has has been doing nothing but freezing, lagging and giving me absolute hell and it further deepens my desire to use illegal streaming sites to watch anything.KA works better than Netflix, at least to me it does.
ArillionOct 19, 2016 2:10 PM
Oct 20, 2016 8:04 AM

Nov 2014
I mostly watch older stuff, and sites like crunvhyroll rarely have those so I'm pretty much forced to go illegal.
Oct 20, 2016 8:08 AM

Jun 2016
only purchase the anime that worth spending.
illegal is the best.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 20, 2016 8:47 AM
Oct 2016
My usual streaming is illegal, unfortunately. I do share a Netflix account with my sister, but the amount of anime available there is abysmal. I would one day like to have a crunchyroll premium account, because I do want to support the industry. I used to buy a lot of anime DVDs as an alternative. However, recently it's gotten so expensive that it's just too much of an investment. (60 USD for 13 eps! No thanks) I think the most important thing for people to realize is that streaming illegally doesn't give them rights to complain if their favorite shows are cancelled or never dubbed. I always feel guilty when I illegally stream.
( ;´Д`)
MadelinePaintsOct 20, 2016 8:57 AM
Oct 20, 2016 8:59 AM
Nov 2014

#MemeShitpoting2016
#RetardedHashtagsBecause30CharacterLimit
Oct 20, 2016 9:16 AM

Mar 2014
MadelinePaints said:
I think the most important thing for people to realize is that streaming illegally doesn't give them rights to complain if their favorite shows are cancelled or never dubbed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 20, 2016 9:18 AM

Jul 2015
dnt know abt dat.

heard teh objective was to promote. if so. legal
Oct 20, 2016 11:38 AM

Dec 2015
About the "we pirate because everything should be available everywhere" opinion for simulcasts.

May I say that there is a difference between supermarkets/shops and broadcasters?
Do you expect every show made/purchased by a network to be available on a channel of another network? That doesn't make sense. At all.
Why would Company X bother paying for a show people would be able to see elsewhere in the same period? (there can't be sure profits here)

@cookies0 I don't like the modern look but don't remember an older spell like this
Rei_IIIOct 20, 2016 11:48 AM
Oct 20, 2016 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Illegal streaming, almost always.
Oct 20, 2016 1:24 PM
Mar 2016
illegal cause its comfortable and free
Oct 20, 2016 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
i just use the illegal sites for the same reason as everyone else, because i'm a cheap bastard too.
Oct 20, 2016 1:33 PM

Sep 2016
Crunchyroll and chill ;-)

In all seriousness, I try to do things legal when possible. Sometimes shows I want to watch have to be watched on sites not legal though. My sister has a messed up copy of Ichigo Mashimaro (season 1) and so she TECHNICALLY owns it, but we aren't able to watch it. In that case I don't feel guilty watching it on a streaming site. Everything else I try to do crunchyroll or not watch it.
Oct 20, 2016 3:38 PM

Aug 2016
I used to be exclusively illegit, but my sense of justice took over when someone told me that legal sites support the creator. It's a pain looking for the right source, but my cursed morality keeps me from the easy way (unless I can't find a legal site).
Oct 20, 2016 4:52 PM
Jul 2016
I pay for legal streams because I actually like this industry and want to contribute to its continued growth. Also, with apologies to Richard Nixon, I'm not a thief (not since I discovered legal streams, anyway.)

I used to use some illegal sites because they'd been recommended to me by a friend, and I assumed that they were legal (admittedly, the fact that they were free probably should have tipped me off.) After I found out the truth about the sites, I continued using them, rationalizing my actions by saying "Well, I'm not going to spend $60 per season on DVDs before I know if I'm going to like the anime. And, since I'm not going to do that, the creators aren't going to get any money from it anyway, so why shouldn't I enjoy it?"

It was an excuse, but it was one I ran with.

Then I discovered that Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu existed as legal alternatives. Around that time, I also saw a video explaining the damage "innocent" piracy does to the anime industry. I came to my senses and tossed the illegal sites out the window.

I can only think of one time in recent history that I've used means of... questionable legality. Specifically, I watched the last three episodes of Bakemonogatari, because for some baffling reason Crunchyroll doesn't have them, and I'm paying for the dang thing. I always use an ad-blocker on illegitimate sites, though: I'm not going to put any more money into the pockets of pirates than I have to.

/end rant
/steps off high horse
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Oct 20, 2016 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
If I can find the anime I'm looking for by legal means, then I'll do it. Otherwise, illegal.
Oct 21, 2016 5:48 AM

Feb 2016
I started off on legal sites (funimation and crunchyroll specifically) because they were available at work and I figured they were safer than some random anime site that may disappear at any point. The problem was they had very limited selection. Funimation only had Funimation shows, obviously, and Crunchyroll wasn't very big at the time (~7 years ago) so their catalog was actually quite small (plus as a free user I had to wait a week to watch new shows). So when I wanted to watch a show that neither of them had, I had to search until I found a few sites that were A) not super shady, and B) not blocked on my network. Once I found a couple decent sites I was hooked on the large catalog, ability to watch uncensored, and the fact that the ads were fewer/less intrusive.
Oct 21, 2016 6:52 AM

Aug 2015
Unless there's a show that I want to watch on legal streaming, illegal. I do buy merchandise however.

Oct 21, 2016 6:56 AM

May 2016
Everyone admitting they break the law... well i cant argue
Oct 21, 2016 6:58 AM

Sep 2016
I use illegal, but for the reason that the dollar in my country is at an absurd price is certainly not use a streaming service like the Crunchyroll.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 24, 2016 6:44 PM

Aug 2007
MadelinePaints said:
My usual streaming is illegal, unfortunately. I do share a Netflix account with my sister, but the amount of anime available there is abysmal. I would one day like to have a crunchyroll premium account, because I do want to support the industry. I used to buy a lot of anime DVDs as an alternative. However, recently it's gotten so expensive that it's just too much of an investment. (60 USD for 13 eps! No thanks) I think the most important thing for people to realize is that streaming illegally doesn't give them rights to complain if their favorite shows are cancelled or never dubbed. I always feel guilty when I illegally stream.
( ;´Д`)

They're not going to cancel something because somebody happens to pirate it. There's nothing to feel guilty about anyway.

Phendrus said:
I pay for legal streams because I actually like this industry and want to contribute to its continued growth. Also, with apologies to Richard Nixon, I'm not a thief (not since I discovered legal streams, anyway.)

I used to use some illegal sites because they'd been recommended to me by a friend, and I assumed that they were legal (admittedly, the fact that they were free probably should have tipped me off.) After I found out the truth about the sites, I continued using them, rationalizing my actions by saying "Well, I'm not going to spend $60 per season on DVDs before I know if I'm going to like the anime. And, since I'm not going to do that, the creators aren't going to get any money from it anyway, so why shouldn't I enjoy it?"

It was an excuse, but it was one I ran with.

Then I discovered that Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu existed as legal alternatives. Around that time, I also saw a video explaining the damage "innocent" piracy does to the anime industry. I came to my senses and tossed the illegal sites out the window.

I can only think of one time in recent history that I've used means of... questionable legality. Specifically, I watched the last three episodes of Bakemonogatari, because for some baffling reason Crunchyroll doesn't have them, and I'm paying for the dang thing. I always use an ad-blocker on illegitimate sites, though: I'm not going to put any more money into the pockets of pirates than I have to.

/end rant
/steps off high horse

Copyright infringement is not theft. Also you probably watched one of those shitty videos on Youtube where they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

metodologia said:
Everyone admitting they break the law... well i cant argue

That's because you won't get arrested for admitting to it.
Oct 24, 2016 7:39 PM

Jun 2007
MadelinePaints said:
( ;´Д`)
It's gotten expensive "recently"? When was it cheaper, exactly? In the mid-00s, when you'd often pay $30 ($37.09 in 2016$) for single DVDs with 3-5 episodes? The mid-90s, when you'd have to spend $55 ($87.13 in 2016$) for 3-4 episodes on 2 VHS tapes if you wanted both English and Japanese audio? True, some releases by companies like Aniplex USA and PonyCan USA do bring the average prices up these days, but with the right sales and priced-down re-releases, there's no shortage of cheap options.

And it's not like you have to have a paid subscription to watch anime on CR, unlike Netflix...
Oct 24, 2016 7:39 PM
Jul 2016
Drunk_Samurai said:
They're not going to cancel something because somebody happens to pirate it. There's nothing to feel guilty about anyway.

And this, my friends, is an example of what we call the "free rider problem."

Drunk_Samurai said:
Copyright infringement is not theft.

I'm aware that the US government makes a distinction. To be frank, I couldn't care less.

If you use someone else's private resources without either having permission or providing just compensation, you're a thief. It doesn't matter if you're illegally streaming anime or sneaking into a movie theater. You are benefiting from the goods in question against the owner's will, simultaneously denying them a portion of the revenue they should have rightfully received. That makes you a thief.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Oct 24, 2016 7:40 PM

May 2015
illegal because Im broke as fuck maine
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 25, 2016 12:13 AM
Oct 2016
Zalis said:
MadelinePaints said:
( ;´Д`)
It's gotten expensive "recently"? When was it cheaper, exactly? In the mid-00s, when you'd often pay $30 ($37.09 in 2016$) for single DVDs with 3-5 episodes? The mid-90s, when you'd have to spend $55 ($87.13 in 2016$) for 3-4 episodes on 2 VHS tapes if you wanted both English and Japanese audio? True, some releases by companies like Aniplex USA and PonyCan USA do bring the average prices up these days, but with the right sales and priced-down re-releases, there's no shortage of cheap options.

And it's not like you have to have a paid subscription to watch anime on CR, unlike Netflix...

Ah, I'm a noob, I totes didn't know you could watch crunchy roll without a subscription. Rip. I remember buying the complete season of Lovelace on dvd new for $13 at Best Buy, season 1 and 2 of the original Full Metal Alchesmist for $30 each at target, the dvd series of Magic Kinight Rayearth (season 1 and 2 included) for $30 at Best Buy also. Maybe it's just blu-rays that are expensive now-a-days, new technology and all. I was just looking at the Parasyte blu-ray on Amazon the other day. they had the series split into 2 collection, 13 eps each, for $40 a piece. I guess that's not too bad. it's just weird that they split it. They did the same thing for Artack on Titan. Cost depends on the series too, funimation has DVD collections for a reasonable price. I bought season 2 of kaleido star for $25, I think. I remember the Inyuasha DVDs back in the day were like $100 new. I probs sound like an old lady complaining about price. And I probably forgot to take inflation into account, so everything I said is inaccurate.

Also this is the last time I post anything on a forum. I keep getting trolled. Probably my own fault for even having an opinion. Rip
(ノ_<)
MadelinePaintsOct 25, 2016 12:21 AM
Oct 25, 2016 4:39 AM

Aug 2007
Phendrus said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Drunk_Samurai said:
Copyright infringement is not theft.

I'm aware that the US government makes a distinction. To be frank, I couldn't care less.

If you use someone else's private resources without either having permission or providing just compensation, you're a thief. It doesn't matter if you're illegally streaming anime or sneaking into a movie theater. You are benefiting from the goods in question against the owner's will, simultaneously denying them a portion of the revenue they should have rightfully received. That makes you a thief.

There is no "problem". You're just thinking there is one. Also that isn't just the U.S. government's "distinction. It's the dictionary definition too. In order for a theft to have occurred then something has to have been taken. Only a copy is made when piracy happens therefore the original is still there and there is no theft.

MadelinePaints said:
Zalis said:

Ah, I'm a noob, I totes didn't know you could watch crunchy roll without a subscription. Rip. I remember buying the complete season of Lovelace on dvd new for $13 at Best Buy, season 1 and 2 of the original Full Metal Alchesmist for $30 each at target, the dvd series of Magic Kinight Rayearth (season 1 and 2 included) for $30 at Best Buy also. Maybe it's just blu-rays that are expensive now-a-days, new technology and all. I was just looking at the Parasyte blu-ray on Amazon the other day. they had the series split into 2 collection, 13 eps each, for $40 a piece. I guess that's not too bad. it's just weird that they split it. They did the same thing for Artack on Titan. Cost depends on the series too, funimation has DVD collections for a reasonable price. I bought season 2 of kaleido star for $25, I think. I remember the Inyuasha DVDs back in the day were like $100 new. I probs sound like an old lady complaining about price. And I probably forgot to take inflation into account, so everything I said is inaccurate.

Also this is the last time I post anything on a forum. I keep getting trolled. Probably my own fault for even having an opinion. Rip
(ノ_<)

Well there will always be expensive releases but there's nothing that can be done about that. The only issue with Crunchyroll are the translations but since there are no alternatives most of the time that doesn't matter anymore. You weren't being trolled also. I don't know why you think you were.
Oct 25, 2016 5:07 AM
Oct 2016
Drunk_Samurai said:
Phendrus said:

There is no "problem". You're just thinking there is one. Also that isn't just the U.S. government's "distinction. It's the dictionary definition too. In order for a theft to have occurred then something has to have been taken. Only a copy is made when piracy happens therefore the original is still there and there is no theft.

MadelinePaints said:

(ノ_<)

Well there will always be expensive releases but there's nothing that can be done about that. The only issue with Crunchyroll are the translations but since there are no alternatives most of the time that doesn't matter anymore. You weren't being trolled also. I don't know why you think you were.

Ah, the trolling was in reference to another response I got. Someone replied to my post with a link to the Wikipedia page about "free speech." I probably should have specified, my bad. Really, this conversation has been fun. And I learned a lot (I seriously still am laughing at myself about not knowing about crunchyroll being free).
☆彡
Even though there are expensive releases it's not unreasonable if is an amazing series. Shouganai. Yeah, anyways, rant over. 8)
Oct 25, 2016 5:12 AM

Sep 2015
Kissanime master race. Everyone in here watches illigal
i'm sure of it
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Oct 25, 2016 12:03 PM

Aug 2007
MadelinePaints said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Ah, the trolling was in reference to another response I got. Someone replied to my post with a link to the Wikipedia page about "free speech." I probably should have specified, my bad. Really, this conversation has been fun. And I learned a lot (I seriously still am laughing at myself about not knowing about crunchyroll being free).
☆彡
Even though there are expensive releases it's not unreasonable if is an amazing series. Shouganai. Yeah, anyways, rant over. 8)

Well as I said just don't expect the translations to be great on CR. Unlike the old fansub groups like Eclipse. You can also use adblock on CR if you want.
Oct 25, 2016 1:57 PM

Feb 2013
j0x said:
download master race

This. I always download. Nice to have an option to watch it via phone/tablet later if needed
Oct 25, 2016 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
I used to use Kissanime, and I used it for 28/65 anime on my list, then I finally figured out that it was illegal so now I check if a site is illegal before using it.I use Hulu to watch my stuff now. Why use this compared to illegal sites.
1. Malware
2.Morality
3.Safety
and
though they do have a bigger selection that means nothing if you can't put the episodes in order nor have decent quality to watch your shows. I rather just watch commercial then be confused by the misnumbering of episodes.
removed-userOct 25, 2016 5:51 PM
Oct 25, 2016 6:30 PM

Jul 2015
A lot of the anime on my list i watched legally on t.v. then i watched illegally for a while but now i use cr and hulu. Cr is pretty cheap if compared to a brand new AAA game (if you buy a year long plan) but if you live outside the u.s its probably not worth it.
Oct 25, 2016 7:03 PM

Mar 2016
Bad people bad! Filthy little pirates.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Oct 26, 2016 3:25 PM

Aug 2007
Someone32 said:
I used to use Kissanime, and I used it for 28/65 anime on my list, then I finally figured out that it was illegal so now I check if a site is illegal before using it.I use Hulu to watch my stuff now. Why use this compared to illegal sites.
1. Malware
2.Morality
3.Safety
and
though they do have a bigger selection that means nothing if you can't put the episodes in order nor have decent quality to watch your shows. I rather just watch commercial then be confused by the misnumbering of episodes.

Morality is subjective and Adblock stops your other complaints.

OtakuDaikun said:

I take a shower every day though.
Oct 26, 2016 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
Drunk_Samurai said:
Someone32 said:
1. Malware
2.Morality
3.Safety
and

OtakuDaikun said:

Really? Can ad blocker make the quality better and put the episodes in the correct order? Yes, morality is subjective, I have a different opinion from you, your point?Besides, ad blockers are illegal, so because of my subjective morality, I refuse to use them.
removed-userOct 26, 2016 4:02 PM
Oct 26, 2016 11:15 PM

Aug 2007
Someone32 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Really? Can ad blocker make the quality better and put the episodes in the correct order? Yes, morality is subjective, I have a different opinion from you, your point?Besides, ad blockers are illegal, so because of my subjective morality, I refuse to use them.

Episodes are only out of order on incredibly bad sites and probably rarely happens anyway. That has nothing to do with malware, morality or safety anyway. Also I really hope you were joking about that last comment. Adblockers are not illegal nor will they ever be illegal.
Oct 27, 2016 9:51 AM
Sep 2012
For me it's legal until there is no possible way of obtaining said anime through legal means
Oct 27, 2016 10:31 AM

Jan 2008
I don't stream. Like... ever. I download. Much better quality and also BD rips.
Oct 27, 2016 10:50 AM

Apr 2015
Always nice to see people radically advocating for freeloading off an industry that's not very keen on our presence due to this exact reason.
Oct 27, 2016 11:14 AM

Jul 2014
90% I stream illegally, same for most people I know who watch anime.
Oct 27, 2016 11:19 AM

Feb 2016
If crunchyroll has it then yeah, when I was younger I didn't really pay attention to it but now I feel like if we ever want japanese animation studios to take us westerners seriously we should at least watch it legally so one day japanese creators would actually care about our opinions
Oct 27, 2016 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Drunk_Samurai said:
Someone32 said:

Episodes are only out of order on incredibly bad sites and probably rarely happens anyway. That has nothing to do with malware, morality or safety anyway. Also I really hope you were joking about that last comment. Adblockers are not illegal nor will they ever be illegal.
You mean like the most popular torrents like KissAnime and KissCartoon and it happened to me tons of times.No, it doesn't, however, ad blockers don't do anything to fix it.Unlike what you claimed.Actually, ad blockers block advertisement which is essential to most companies and believes it or not they are illegal because they subtoge business. Most ad-blockers don't even ask permission before silencing ads. So yes most of them are illegal.
removed-userOct 27, 2016 12:15 PM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

11 by JoeChip »»
45 seconds ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

38 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

71 by mo_lave »»
6 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

27 by traed »»
8 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

27 by logopolis »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.