New
Illegal or Legal Streaming sites?
I always use Legal
9.7%
I always use Illegal
40.9%
Sometimes legal, sometimes illegal.
24.0%
If legal sites have the show I want, sure.
25.4%
672 votes
Apr 8, 2015 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
So, after a little bit of a heated discussion with a friend, I'd like to ask the population of MAL a question

Legal or Illegal streaming sites, and why?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 8, 2015 10:22 PM

Feb 2010
90% of time illegal
Apr 8, 2015 10:23 PM

May 2012
are there even legal streaming sites these days other than crunchyroll?
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Apr 8, 2015 10:23 PM
May 2011
i always use legal
Apr 8, 2015 10:24 PM

Apr 2012
No ill will against legal sites like Crunchyroll ( i think it is a great legal alternative), but I'm just a cheap mother fucker

I'll feel obliged to subscribe maybe later in the future :P

Jul 2018
lnfo said:

Netflix and Funimation.

Jun 2012
I dont stream anime
Apr 8, 2015 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
I always use legal streaming but I torrent OVAs/Specials and such that never get streamed and shows that aren't licensed for streaming.
Apr 8, 2015 10:25 PM

May 2012
sammario said:
lnfo said:

Netflix and Funimation.
those give limited anime's
so most of us are cornered to flee to illegal streaming sites
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Apr 8, 2015 10:27 PM

Jan 2009
download master race
Apr 8, 2015 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
Feaor said:
I always use legal streaming but I torrent OVAs/Specials and such that never get streamed and shows that aren't licensed for streaming.

Same here. I understand some people are just cheap bastards, but I think there's something wrong when you search for "anime streaming" and not only is the search full of illegal sites, one illegal site appears before an actual legal site. It's like if video game piracy became so big that when you searched for a game, a torrent website came up (which actually happens a lot of times with anime)
Apr 8, 2015 10:29 PM

Aug 2013
j0x said:
download master race
Apr 8, 2015 10:30 PM

Mar 2012
Illegal. But i rather buy the mangas with the money.
Apr 8, 2015 10:30 PM

Mar 2015
sammario said:
Feaor said:

Same here. I understand some people are just cheap bastards, but I think there's something wrong when you search for "anime streaming" and not only is the search full of illegal sites, one illegal site appears before an actual legal site. It's like if video game piracy became so big that when you searched for a game, a torrent website came up (which actually happens a lot of times with anime)

That's because video game developers and publishers have taken the road of spreading their content to maximize profit. If video games were handled the same way as anime, you would have to go to three different stores to get three different games that were just released. Not because they're sold out or anything, but because the producers for said product just don't bother spreading their product to all of the mentioned stores.

Japanese marketing is really shotty when it comes to areas outside of Japan. And that's majorly why there is a lack of "legal" anime sources to watch or download shows.
Apr 8, 2015 10:31 PM

Aug 2011
Always legal, unless CR or Hulu don't have a show I want/are behind by a few weeks.

Or if a show goes unlicensed (Hyouka).

I do it because it's just convenient. Apps on my phone make it easy to watch when I'm not home (or if I'm using my TV/Vita) and the layouts are a lot nicer than your average illegal site.

Apr 8, 2015 10:33 PM

Jan 2008
lnfo said:
sammario said:

Netflix and Funimation.
those give limited anime's
so most of us are cornered to flee to illegal streaming sites

Assuming you're someone who watches mostly airing stuff, having both Funi and CR will basically give you most airing shows. Of course some will be missed but the majority will be grabbed by the 2.

If you watch only older stuff before they started simulcasting as much as they do now, then yea, probably will be lacking quite a bit. Doesn't help CR has 'certain limits' too. Not sure about Funi since I don't use em but I hear they have video stream issues.

I usually download all of the first episodes, not really sure why but I just do. After that if I see them on CR, I'll just watch em on there. If they're not on there then I'll download em. I don't stream anime on other sites. This is for airing anime. For completed series, I prefer to download them as a whole, so I dont have to worry about having internet while watching em.
Apr 8, 2015 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
cause said:
sammario said:

That's because video game developers and publishers have taken the road of spreading their content to maximize profit. If video games were handled the same way as anime, you would have to go to three different stores to get three different games that were just released. Not because they're sold out or anything, but because the producers for said product just don't bother spreading their product to all of the mentioned stores.

Japanese marketing is really shotty when it comes to areas outside of Japan. And that's majorly why there is a lack of "legal" anime sources to watch or download shows.

So we simply say "Fuck 'em. Who cares that they have to work day and night just to satisfy the population of MAL, their marketing is shit so I won't support them". That's like if a charity said they wouldn't give aid to starving children in Africa because it'd be too expensive for them to give out food to both Kenya, Sudan, and Libya all at once.
Apr 8, 2015 10:38 PM

Mar 2015
sammario said:
So we simply say "Fuck 'em. Who cares that they have to work day and night just to satisfy the population of MAL, their marketing is shit so I won't support them". That's like if a charity said they wouldn't give aid to starving children in Africa because it'd be too expensive for them to give out food to both Kenya, Sudan, and Libya all at once.

How am I supposed to buy the product if I can't find the product? Even through legal means, you cannot find everything. Whereas if I was in Japan, I could very easily.

This problem stems from not us being pirates, but us not having all the legal tools at our disposal to not be pirates.
Apr 8, 2015 10:41 PM
Jul 2018
cause said:
sammario said:

How am I supposed to buy the product if I can't find the product? Even through legal means, you cannot find everything. Whereas if I was in Japan, I could very easily.

This problem stems from not us being pirates, but us not having all the legal tools at our disposal to not be pirates.

I really don't care if you end up having to go to some shady site for some really obscure show you like or your hentai. What annoys me when I see a popular airing anime get hundreds of thousands upon thousands (sometimes even millions!)of views on a shady illegal streaming site, when they easily get a much better experience on a website that actually supports the creators.

I just don't understand it.
Apr 8, 2015 10:43 PM
Feb 2011
Yeoun said:
j0x said:
download master race
Apr 8, 2015 10:49 PM

Mar 2012
The problem about the "Who cares that they have to work day and night ".
It's that even if we buy, the money isn't have a fair share in their end, neither in any enterprise, of course.

I root for the proletariat(the one that will work more time and get a shit salary), but yeah the world is unfair and i'm sorry.

I bought a six month of Netflix, but i ain't using it because of my network that's so slow.
GoldSlashApr 8, 2015 10:55 PM
Apr 8, 2015 10:53 PM

Mar 2015
sammario said:
What annoys me when I see a popular airing anime get hundreds of thousands upon thousands (sometimes even millions!)of views on a shady illegal streaming site, when they easily get a much better experience on a website that actually supports the creators.

I just don't understand it.

I understand that. But like I said, what deters people is the idea that they have to go to so many places to achieve what they are looking for. Not to mention many of these legal sites have you pay for the site premium, and not just for a show itself. That would be like having to pay for the entire Harry Potter series once the first movie came out without any indication of how the other 7 movies would be. Paying for a service for a limited amount of shows is frustrating because it ends up costing much more money in the long run because of how unconventional and disorganized it is.

You will always have pirates in any media. But anime has a special class of piracy that is caused not solely because the person doesn't want to pay, but because there not enough outside-of-Japan publishing being done to spread and get their product to people.

Having 20-30 sources is a huge repellent to people. Remember. Time is money. Average people give up after a certain point. These "illegal" sites do a job which is categorize all the anime into easy to navigate ways. It's something an official source should look into.

And that is untrue. Many illegal sites do things much better than many official sites.
Apr 9, 2015 1:09 AM

Apr 2013
Shuhan said:
I dont stream anime
Apr 9, 2015 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
retrogamer32x said:
Lancehot said:
Legal unless I really want to watch something for which there's no legal option. Between CrunchyRoll (+VPN), Viewster & Daisuki, I can watch pretty much everything that has been licensed by someone other than Funimation. It's still piracy for those, though, since Funi.com & TAN.com block VPNs & for me at least Hulu's adverts tend to freeze when watching multiple episodes, making it not worth the effort to watch more than maybe the odd film or spliced OVA.

Definitely check out those Youtube channels I posted also, several of those have full series runs in high quality (even older, less known shows like Boogiepop Phantom). Youtube should really do a better job of advertising all of the legal anime they have, there are a lot of older series on there that you can't find on many of the streaming services.

This channel in particular is great, but hardly anyone knows about it: https://www.youtube.com/user/nozomient

^^

My first experiences to anime were from Funimation's YouTube channel. You can find many, many great shows on their channel, you just need to look!
Apr 9, 2015 1:47 AM

Mar 2015
retrogamer32x said:
Lancehot said:
Legal unless I really want to watch something for which there's no legal option. Between CrunchyRoll (+VPN), Viewster & Daisuki, I can watch pretty much everything that has been licensed by someone other than Funimation. It's still piracy for those, though, since Funi.com & TAN.com block VPNs & for me at least Hulu's adverts tend to freeze when watching multiple episodes, making it not worth the effort to watch more than maybe the odd film or spliced OVA.

Definitely check out those Youtube channels I posted also, several of those have full series runs in high quality (even older, less known shows like Boogiepop Phantom). Youtube should really do a better job of advertising all of the legal anime they have, there are a lot of older series on there that you can't find on many of the streaming services.

This channel in particular is great, but hardly anyone knows about it: https://www.youtube.com/user/nozomient

That's just yet another site I have to search to try and find the series I may be looking for. Whereas I can just go to a site like kissanime and type the name of the show in the search bar. That's the main problem I keep trying to express. Anime as a media form is not as easily found through proper streams, such as youtube as per your example. It requires the average person to open multiple sites just to discover the anime they may want. That's horribly inconvienient. Imagine if every time you wanted to watch a movie you were interested in, and instead of just going to a store and buying it, or buying a digital copy online, you had to search 20 or so stores/websites to find the appropriate place. Then on top of it, depending on the source, to watch said movie you had to pay for a service of that site/store before you could even get the product you are searching for itself from them. See how discombobulated that is? When in realty, I want a movie? I buy it online. Download, and bam. Or I search Netflix, and bam. Or if you're old school, I drive to my local video store and bam.

Anime lacks the official stores and services that provide the same quality of product as the illegal "black market pirate" sites provide. Many underestimate how many people would use official services if it wasn't so messed up with segmentation. I would gladly pay upwards of 20 dollars a month for an anime service that when I wanted to find something, I could find it there 99% of the time.
Apr 9, 2015 2:00 AM

Mar 2014
Always illegal

Only faggots stream legally
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 9, 2015 2:22 AM

Jun 2014
j0x said:
download master race
All credit goes to Sacred.
Apr 9, 2015 2:24 AM

Feb 2015
I think for older anime that's not available on the like of Cruchyroll I use a mixture of both. I never download only stream.
Apr 9, 2015 3:49 AM

Jan 2010
Illegal of course. There's a lot more choices with the same or better quality than legal streaming.
Apr 9, 2015 3:49 AM

Jul 2014
j0x said:
download master race
Apr 9, 2015 3:53 AM

Apr 2015
-Gensan- said:
j0x said:
download master race
Apr 9, 2015 5:11 AM

Sep 2014
If there really is a good quality legal stream, of course I watch it.
But mostly there isn't, so I use the illegal.
Apr 9, 2015 5:23 AM
May 2009
Only things I stream are Youtube and Game review videos. So don't care either way. Don't stream anime or movies.
Apr 9, 2015 5:53 AM

Apr 2013
Illegal 4 eva
Apr 9, 2015 5:56 AM

Nov 2011
lnfo said:

You can find anime on Hulu, Netflix, Funimation, etc.

I've got Hulu+ now, and that's my main way of watching anime, so legal.
Apr 9, 2015 5:59 AM

Jan 2015
FireWriter said:
-Gensan- said:

LunarProxy said:

lucky Americans......
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 9, 2015 6:47 AM

Apr 2014
Kissanime is the only good site where I can watch anime for free in good quality so yeah, illegal...
Apr 9, 2015 1:42 PM

Jun 2007
If I stream rather than watching DLed anime or DVD/Blu-Ray, it's always legal. There is essentially zero reason to watch anime on bootleg streaming sites instead of downloading, but plenty of reasons not to:

1) You're giving money to pirates, and letting them profit off the work of the animators, directors, writers, composers, voice actors, etc.
2) The quality is inherently worse than downloads, since bootleg streams just re-encode lossy encodes to lower bitrates for streaming.
3) The selection can be no better than what downloads can offer, since bootleg streaming sites can't stream something if subbing/ripping groups haven't released it.

cause said:
That's the main problem I keep trying to express. Anime as a media form is not as easily found through proper streams, such as youtube as per your example. It requires the average person to open multiple sites just to discover the anime they may want. That's horribly inconvienient. Imagine if every time you wanted to watch a movie you were interested in, and instead of just going to a store and buying it, or buying a digital copy online, you had to search 20 or so stores/websites to find the appropriate place. Then on top of it, depending on the source, to watch said movie you had to pay for a service of that site/store before you could even get the product you are searching for itself from them.
That just goes with the territory of being in a niche medium like anime rather than major Hollywood movies and mass-market US TV shows. Even having a half-dozen sites where a significant percentage of well-known recent anime can be found is still a major improvement over 6-7 years ago, but the anime fandom always move the goalposts whenever the industry tries to improve. Now it's "I demand download sites with all the anime ever made where I can DL as much as I want for a low monthly fee, not per-episode." (Not saying you demanded this, but others have in other threads.)

And I can recall driving to numerous video rental stores across the city back in the late 90s/early 00s to track down some movie or another, without the benefit of online availability status information. US movies/TV have "been there" too; it's just that anime is behind the curve because again, niche medium.
Apr 9, 2015 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
Zalis said:
If I stream rather than watching DLed anime or DVD/Blu-Ray, it's always legal. There is essentially zero reason to watch anime on bootleg streaming sites instead of downloading, but plenty of reasons not to:

1) You're giving money to pirates, and letting them profit off the work of the animators, directors, writers, composers, voice actors, etc.
2) The quality is inherently worse than downloads, since bootleg streams just re-encode lossy encodes to lower bitrates for streaming.
3) The selection can be no better than what downloads can offer, since bootleg streaming sites can't stream something if subbing/ripping groups haven't released it.

cause said:
That's the main problem I keep trying to express. Anime as a media form is not as easily found through proper streams, such as youtube as per your example. It requires the average person to open multiple sites just to discover the anime they may want. That's horribly inconvienient. Imagine if every time you wanted to watch a movie you were interested in, and instead of just going to a store and buying it, or buying a digital copy online, you had to search 20 or so stores/websites to find the appropriate place. Then on top of it, depending on the source, to watch said movie you had to pay for a service of that site/store before you could even get the product you are searching for itself from them.
That just goes with the territory of being in a niche medium like anime rather than major Hollywood movies and mass-market US TV shows. Even having a half-dozen sites where a significant percentage of well-known recent anime can be found is still a major improvement over 6-7 years ago, but the anime fandom always move the goalposts whenever the industry tries to improve. Now it's "I demand download sites with all the anime ever made where I can DL as much as I want for a low monthly fee, not per-episode." (Not saying you demanded this, but others have in other threads.)

And I can recall driving to numerous video rental stores across the city back in the late 90s/early 00s to track down some movie or another, without the benefit of online availability status information. US movies/TV have "been there" too; it's just that anime is behind the curve because again, niche medium.

Yes!!! So much yes!!

Plus sometimes ads can glitch out a page and make it unable to use. Hell, sometimes ads will give you a pretty bad infection because flash exploits >_<
Apr 9, 2015 1:44 PM

Jul 2011
Piracy it's the way ~
We Go!

I mean, legal for helping the industry and stuff, i guess, maybe.
PralandApr 9, 2015 1:47 PM
Apr 9, 2015 1:45 PM
Dec 2013
Mostly illegal streaming. The only anime I stream legally is Reborn! on Crunchyroll, because the subs for that on other websites are shit. Not to mention that legal streaming sites don't always have the anime I want to watch.
wildhoodApr 9, 2015 1:50 PM
Apr 9, 2015 1:50 PM

Jun 2014
Remv_quevav said:

LunarProxy said:

lucky Americans......

I envy them too.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Apr 9, 2015 2:09 PM

Mar 2014
j0x said:
download master race
Apr 9, 2015 2:16 PM

Jul 2014
I use legal when I can
Just pretend I have a signature here
Apr 9, 2015 2:18 PM

Apr 2013
I like my anime just like I like my women...
Apr 9, 2015 2:26 PM

Mar 2015
Zalis said:

It's hardly a niche medium. Anime conventions are huge and it only gets bigger every year as a medium across the world. Sure it's not as big as hollywood, but it really not an excuse to be behind the curve. It's 2015. Even some pet day cares have more technological and easier access to things people are looking for, than legal anime sites.

And your analogy of video stores back in the day doesn't work because the internet and streaming services were not potent in that age. That would be like saying you had to wait 30 days for your mail to arrive from someone a city over back 100 years ago when things were done by horseback, and comparing it to today. Today, those things are potent, but it seems animation publishers refuse to embrace a newer age of delivery to people which would be more efficient, and actually bring them more money in the long run. Anime as it is now makes most of their money from blu-ray sales and other merchandise. If more people could get their hands on copies easier, through legitimate means, than they would make a lot more money. But I either have to wait 6 months for the blu-ray to come out, or pay for a service to watch a show I may or may not like from numerous websites.

Some of piracy in mediums is not so much caused by stubborn people who don't want to pay money, but more so because the content being sold is not easy to get. And getting frustrated by that is a valid concern. As any business manager will tell you, getting your product the most exposure, is what helps maximize your potential purchases of said product.
Apr 9, 2015 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
The poll results look like a hand turned sideways giving a middle finger (to the anime industry).
Apr 9, 2015 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
StevenHu said:
The poll results look like a hand turned sideways giving a middle finger (to the anime industry).

It makes me feel really sad, personally. Not only that, I think about the lousy scumbags who probably upload these to illegal streaming sites without the slightest care about the anime industry, only interested to become rich off the hard work of others.
Apr 9, 2015 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
Why stream when you can torrent in a better quality? And watch while it is downloading if your download speed is superior to the playback speed (like in streaming)
Apr 9, 2015 3:38 PM

Sep 2013
I do both and more. I stream older shows illegally, download airing shows, have a CR account, and constantly await American releases to buy the disks.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 45 minutes ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
57 seconds ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 54 minutes ago

11 by CheesyJen »»
2 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

44 by -YaoiBoy- »»
4 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

32 by mentalmondai »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.