Forum Settings
Forums

does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga?

New
Jun 8, 5:04 PM

Mar 2018
to start off, i've been a fan of animanga for over 10 years now and been exposed to it even earlier. since ever i was young, i've been noticing that this trope has been getting worse and worse throughout the years and now it's so ridiculous to the point it's become outright cartoony

i come to watch anime because i don't want the childishness in cartoon, but whenever i see tropes like this, then all i can think of is how goofy it is

i see this with one piece, naruto and bleach to a lesser extent. JJK is probably the only work that played around with this trope AFAIK, and the worst offender of it that i've found so far is kaiju N.8

people are just throwing hands and yet naming them and signaling to others how and what they are attacking with...bruh

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 8, 5:38 PM

Jun 2024
I don't find it cringe or childish because my brain just accepts it. That's just me.

I'd like to think most of the time they don't actually call out their attacks. It's mostly for the audience to know.

Like, imagine if Luffy didn't say anything at all. That'd be so weird, no "Gomu Gomu no"? No gears?
Jun 8, 6:51 PM

Mar 2018
Reply to JustMaya
I don't find it cringe or childish because my brain just accepts it. That's just me.

I'd like to think most of the time they don't actually call out their attacks. It's mostly for the audience to know.

Like, imagine if Luffy didn't say anything at all. That'd be so weird, no "Gomu Gomu no"? No gears?
@Mayahuel

that's how i always justified the trope as well which is that it explain the move to the audience. it makes sense as long as it's being used lightly

for example, JJK plays with it so they make sure the audience understand how the powers and move work. Hunter x hunter as well does this to lay out a reference point to their power system shenanigans and powers.

but see, the problem i have is not works like these series but rather crazy annoying stuff like Yugioh and kaiju.8 where even tho there is no reason for them to name the stuff they are doing, they still do it anyways even if it defies logic where revealing your moves would backfire. THEY STILL BLOODY DO IT.

in the latest chapter of JJK.8, the MC is naming the martial arts techniques he's gonna do against the villain even tho the battle taking place is all centered in how the MC is weaker and his only advantage is to take the villain off guard and the villain does the same stupid shit either way.

it's like the pot of greed meme, u know? WHAT DOES IT DO.

i'm not gonna lie, i think i'm starting to grow out of anime and it's becoming a bit too childish for me (all cuz of bloody tropes made for stupid kids)
PhantomnocomicsJun 9, 1:03 AM
Jun 8, 6:54 PM

Feb 2020
It's an audience-friendly thing to do, although it might sound a little bit silly at times.
Jun 8, 6:55 PM

Jun 2024
Reply to Phantomnocomics
@Mayahuel

that's how i always justified the trope as well which is that it explain the move to the audience. it makes sense as long as it's being used lightly

for example, JJK plays with it so they make sure the audience understand how the powers and move work. Hunter x hunter as well does this to lay out a reference point to their power system shenanigans and powers.

but see, the problem i have is not works like these series but rather crazy annoying stuff like Yugioh and kaiju.8 where even tho there is no reason for them to name the stuff they are doing, they still do it anyways even if it defies logic where revealing your moves would backfire. THEY STILL BLOODY DO IT.

in the latest chapter of JJK.8, the MC is naming the martial arts techniques he's gonna do against the villain even tho the battle taking place is all centered in how the MC is weaker and his only advantage is to take the villain off guard and the villain does the same stupid shit either way.

it's like the pot of greed meme, u know? WHAT DOES IT DO.

i'm not gonna lie, i think i'm starting to grow out of anime and it's becoming a bit too childish for me (all cuz of bloody tropes made for stupid kids)
@Phantomnocomics Oh. For that, I cannot relate. I have never watched Yu-Gi-Oh, and Kaiju No. 8 isn't a priority to watch. Maybe I'll share the same pain as you if I start watching way more anime.
Jun 8, 6:57 PM

Dec 2020
What? No thats what makes it hype. I couldn't imagine a world where goku doesnt shout his kamehameha.

Also, you mention that you watch anime because its a type of animation aimed at a larger audience than just kids. Yet you complain the they shout their attacks in shounen anime, shounen being a demographic primarily aimed at young boys, kids.
Jun 8, 7:13 PM

Mar 2018
Reply to JustMaya
@Phantomnocomics Oh. For that, I cannot relate. I have never watched Yu-Gi-Oh, and Kaiju No. 8 isn't a priority to watch. Maybe I'll share the same pain as you if I start watching way more anime.
@Mayahuel it's also in many series that i've watched/read like hero academia as well. i think i've grown allergic to shonen stuff

and by the way, this is the yugioh example which i mentioned eearlier. the clip is so stupid that i have to question how did people not lose their braincells seeing it again and again, tho again, then i remember the target audience was a buncha kids so fair enough

it's obviously in many anime as well

i don't mind it when it's done lightly, but i've lately noticed that it's been used much heavily than previous years to the point where the anime would become goofy for me whenever it turns out like that

the youtube video visualizes the ridiculousness and childishness of this trope

maybe i should stick out to only seinen stuff atp since i've become quite critical and annoyed by shonen tropes?
PhantomnocomicsJun 9, 1:02 AM
Jun 8, 7:49 PM

Mar 2008
It's just a trope to help the audience have a way to talk about what happened or know what move is coming so they can get excited if it's a good one. Though I think it's overdone. They dont have to call it out every time FFS.
Jun 8, 7:50 PM
Apr 2014
Maybe you should re-examine if you should be feeling shame and embarrassment because an anime character shouted an attack on the TV.
Jun 8, 8:39 PM

Jul 2021
I don't like it that much either, but there are times when it adds a ton of hype to the moment. Demon Slayer comes to mind.

I also try to be understanding, because in manga, the author can simply write the attack names in big letters for maximum impact, but in anime, someone should probably be saying those out loud.

You can always just drop those shows from now on if it gets really bothersome. There are so many anime out there.
Jun 9, 1:05 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to perseii
I don't like it that much either, but there are times when it adds a ton of hype to the moment. Demon Slayer comes to mind.

I also try to be understanding, because in manga, the author can simply write the attack names in big letters for maximum impact, but in anime, someone should probably be saying those out loud.

You can always just drop those shows from now on if it gets really bothersome. There are so many anime out there.
@perseii thanks for the heads up, seems like that's what i'm gonna start to do. my time is better off being spent on quality visual literature.

cheers
Jun 9, 1:10 AM

Sep 2016
No, the trope is so common that I got used to it.

However Frieren made me realize that I enjoy fights a lot more without yelling attack names like bazaar traders.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 9, 1:41 AM

Apr 2011
No, because yelling attacks is hype AF, just like it is in fighting games.

Viral Hit also played around the trope recently.
Jun 9, 1:45 AM

Feb 2020
No, attack names are cool and immediately improve any fight scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw28FCNly1w
Jun 9, 1:57 AM

Jul 2010
I even find it cool. Shame Rudy from Mushoku Tensei uses voiceless incantations.
Jun 9, 1:59 AM

May 2015
It is actually cool. It is cool that I have never heard anybody doing it in any anime I have ever watched.
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jun 9, 2:00 AM

Jul 2021
if you pay attention and think there are a lot of things that are annyoing and crigne in anime. that's just anime in general. you won't be able to enjoy animes if you don't get out of this thinking.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 9, 4:12 AM

Dec 2023
When the attack itself takes a comically long time to sequence it can be a little silly. Although I love Superhero fiction (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers- etc.), so it's something I got used to and don't often bring it into question. Same applies to shouting/chatting about said attacks.
Jun 9, 4:17 AM

Aug 2021
Nothing is cringe, it's all about your perceptions

Jun 9, 4:25 AM

Feb 2024
Yes, it's absolutely cheap and cringe. The good script must be written the way powers and attacks are self-explanatory. And no, I don't think it's for making audience understand what's going on - authors are creative enough to write it in a smarter way. I think the sole purpose of this verbosity is just to extend screen time for a little investment, pretty much like in soap operas where they talk all the time and nothing happens.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 9, 4:26 AM

Sep 2008
it's not cringe but it can be very annoying. should be used more sparingly.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 9, 4:31 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Phantomnocomics
@Mayahuel it's also in many series that i've watched/read like hero academia as well. i think i've grown allergic to shonen stuff

and by the way, this is the yugioh example which i mentioned eearlier. the clip is so stupid that i have to question how did people not lose their braincells seeing it again and again, tho again, then i remember the target audience was a buncha kids so fair enough

i don't mind it when it's done lightly, but i've lately noticed that it's been used much heavily than previous years to the point where the anime would become goofy for me whenever it turns out like that

maybe i should stick out to only seinen stuff atp since i've become quite critical and annoyed by shonen tropes?
@Phantomnocomics I still don't understand pot of greed, it'd be nice if someone explained it.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 9, 6:50 AM
Jul 2018
For me, it depends on whether the name sounds lame, if you will, or not. And I mean the English translation (e.g. Domain Expansion) because I don't know Japanese. But even if it is the same word in the English version (e.g. Kamehameha), it still has to sound cool to me.
Jun 9, 9:43 AM

Oct 2017
As someone who has played a lot of fighting games as well as watching shonen, its just a trope that I am used to at this point. Obviously for games they do it for gameplay reasons, but Japanese anime prolly do it just cuz it looks cool
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 9, 9:53 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Yes, it's absolutely cheap and cringe. The good script must be written the way powers and attacks are self-explanatory. And no, I don't think it's for making audience understand what's going on - authors are creative enough to write it in a smarter way. I think the sole purpose of this verbosity is just to extend screen time for a little investment, pretty much like in soap operas where they talk all the time and nothing happens.
@LoveYourSmile go tell to the five years old who watch beyblade x, Precure or digimon them it help them and in the shows it's mostly used it's for younger audiences just like they do for the cartoon you watched when you were 5 on Saturday morning. Not all series use it but if it's a prime time slot it's guaranteed to use to not alienate the audience which is why even after 25 years one piece still use it because it's a prime time show.
Jun 9, 10:06 AM

Oct 2019
I don't find it cringe, I actually think it's cool.

I can't imagine a Hadouken without a character saying Hadouken.

like If you don't think "THE UNITED, STATE, OF, SMAAAAAAAASH" added impact, Idk what to tell you.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 9, 10:30 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Otakupervert890
@LoveYourSmile go tell to the five years old who watch beyblade x, Precure or digimon them it help them and in the shows it's mostly used it's for younger audiences just like they do for the cartoon you watched when you were 5 on Saturday morning. Not all series use it but if it's a prime time slot it's guaranteed to use to not alienate the audience which is why even after 25 years one piece still use it because it's a prime time show.
Otakupervert890 said:
go tell to the five years old
Are you seriously implying I was talking about shows intended for 5yo? Strange argument, really.

PS: So sad for Miyazaki: he doesn't know his characters have to describe their actions aloud to be understood by kids..
LoveYourSmileJun 9, 10:50 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 9, 10:41 AM

Dec 2014
No. That's would be like watching a musical and complaining about all the singing going on. It's part of anime, if you don't like it there are plenty of anime without it.
Jun 9, 10:57 AM

Jul 2013
All anime is cringy. Not just when people shout their attack names in a shonen anime.
Jun 9, 11:05 AM

Jan 2022
Phantomnocomics said:
i come to watch anime because i don't want the childishness in cartoon

Phantomnocomics said:
i see this with one piece, naruto and bleach to a lesser extent. JJK is probably the only work that played around with this trope AFAIK, and the worst offender of it that i've found so far is kaiju N.8

Okay, so you don't like childishness in anime, yet you watch shounen jump anime, which is literally targeted at kids?... How big is your autism?
Jun 9, 12:22 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Most of the time. There are few rare cases where it's cool, but it requires excellent voice acting. And it can't be overdone.

It's especially dumb when the characters are throwing attacks that take 5 nanoseconds to land on the opponent, but somehow they can find the time to shout out the ability's name during those 5 nanoseconds.
Jun 9, 12:33 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Zarutaku

However Frieren made me realize that I enjoy fights a lot more without yelling attack names like bazaar traders.
Zarutaku said:

Pretty much the same here, although depending the attack name, it can be either cool or lame..
Jun 9, 1:08 PM
Oct 2022
I agree with you and feel you my friend.
Jun 9, 1:31 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah...Well to an extent, all anime is. Actually, to an extent most fictional media is in general. It's all suppose to tap into that feeling of wanting to immerse yourself in some sort of fantasy. That state of child-like wonder we used to be able access more easily in the past. That's why things are always so overly dramatic and excessive in media. Basically I'm saying it's all meant to give you what I call a "braingasm".
Jun 9, 4:47 PM

Sep 2019
Not really, since it's pretty much a trope ingrained into Shonen manga.
Jun 9, 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
Not really, cause let's be honest... at heart, a lot of us are childish, and would find it "cool as hell" to have a beam attack or something, yell it at someone, and obliterate them with it.

I mean hell, as a kid, I always wanted to be a saiyan, just so I could scream "KAAAAAA MEEEEE HAAAAA MEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!" at someone and obliterate them, the ground beneath them, and everything in the path.

Obviously, as an adult, I realized its nonsense, but it doesn't hurt to have these kind of humorous dreams.

That said though, it does seem to be unnecessary. Should really be saved for a finishing move or video game oriented anime.
Jun 9, 7:30 PM

Apr 2017
Yeah I don't like it either, it's cringe. I get it's an age old superhero/anime trope but it ruins many otherwise decent anime imo, I've dropped anime that overuse it. It's completely unnecessary and totally unrealistic in most cases.

Jun 9, 9:50 PM

Aug 2019
That kind of behavior is only acceptable in magical girl series.
Jun 9, 9:52 PM

Oct 2022
They have to it makes their powers stronger.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Jun 10, 1:39 AM

May 2018
"does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen"

It's absolutely cringe, but sadly a tradition...there's no way around it in certain genres.
Jun 10, 1:52 AM

Apr 2024
I've always related it to my Martial Arts practice, where a yell is given with each attack both for an emphasis to energy and also to remind you to breathe when fighting (Yeah, some people forget to do that, it's never a good time)

It's also a trope that's just useful, especially in Manga, where many anime come from. Action panels are often hard to portray well, so giving attacks names helps the audience to understand what the hell just happened. A panel where Luffy has 20 fists may not make sense until you read "Gum Gum Gatling" and then you realize "oh he's punching really fast". There's a similar story about the obscene monologues and bad sense of time many anime characters have. It comes from Manga. Like, Toriyama didn't really think about how long 5 minutes was, ever.

Also, shit's hype. Hearing something like "Broken Phantom" as a hole is put into an enemy is hype as hell.

PPS, cringe is dead, embrace absurdity, allow your suspension of disbelief to be like rubber.
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jun 10, 1:55 AM
Jul 2018
It is a staple of shonen, seinen doesn't have that.
Jun 10, 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Phantomnocomics

Phantomnocomics said:
this is the yugioh example which i mentioned eearlier.

YuGiOh is a crazy and dumb franchise, that is the main appeal. It is like complaining that apples taste like apples.
Jun 10, 2:00 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to removed-user
Phantomnocomics said:
this is the yugioh example which i mentioned eearlier.

YuGiOh is a crazy and dumb franchise, that is the main appeal. It is like complaining that apples taste like apples.
Yuusaku said:
Man, if YuGiOh the anime had the same cadence as an actual game of YGO, that shit would've never worked. Card game players state everything with deadpan efficiency because that's best for game flow, but man is that boring to watch.
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jun 10, 2:03 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Timeline_man
Yuusaku said:
Man, if YuGiOh the anime had the same cadence as an actual game of YGO, that shit would've never worked. Card game players state everything with deadpan efficiency because that's best for game flow, but man is that boring to watch.
@Timeline_man Yeah, the author himself actually addresses that, I think in one volume of the original YuGi-Oh and another in YuGiOh GX manga. They make the duels in the anime more theatrical and to follow unique anime rules (Speed duel etc) whenever possible to make it more fun to watch (and promote more cards).
Jun 10, 2:47 AM
Mar 2021
if it's in an all out battle shounen like black clover or mha then i don't care but if its in a more serious shounen like aot or in a sports anime then it feels out of place. especially sports anime because these mfs will do the most basic ass move from the sport and name it like it's something that can change the sport forever if it was applied irl.
Jun 10, 3:04 AM

Jan 2009
nah because battle shonen are for children and child at heart fans
Jun 10, 3:32 AM

Sep 2020
no i dont find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga
Jun 10, 4:42 AM

Nov 2019
They are cringe along with:
Internal monologues denouncing the opponent's tricks
Incessant screaming to power up
Random bursts of being embarrassed with that bright red light up face
(some more but as many have said they're used to spice up a series to grab kids attention)
Jun 10, 5:17 AM

Nov 2016
It's totally childish and cringe but I don't mind at all, it makes these series fun and it adds to the excitement of the fight even if it isn't necessarily realistic. Maybe it is sometimes fine to be cringe and enjoy cringy things too.

If it's bothersome, maybe look into action shows aimed at older audiences.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which superpower you like choose from an anime character irl?

nirererin - 7 hours ago

4 by Maou_heika »»
2 minutes ago

» What is the trashiest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

basrekichka - Yesterday

61 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» What do you think about 00s anime?

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

14 by FanofAction »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » What should be the next Type Moon anime project.

AnimePedestrian - Yesterday

22 by AnimePedestrian »»
33 minutes ago

» How many years has it been since you started anime? ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Jul 25

69 by FanofAction »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.