Forum Settings
Forums

How many years has it been since you started anime?

New
2 hours ago

Jul 2023
Since 2017 actively watching anime, so almost 7 years.
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

2 hours ago

Dec 2021
Early 2021 is when I said "Fuck it", and watched Urusei Yatsura from start to end, movies and OVAs included. Prior to that, I had no real interest in anime. So... I guess only three? I will continue to cite this one Justin Whang video for being the singular thing that brought me here.

His brief description at the beginning of the video (Before he gets too into the Italian dub OP, what the video is actually about) was all it took for me to think "Huh, that seems fun.". It was fun, and I now watch a lot of anime. Also helps that there are basically no complete english dubs of that anime that aren't also lost media, so it also got me into watching stuff sub only.
Daviljoe1932 hours ago
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
2 hours ago

Feb 2020
A long time ago, but I truly started to binge anime in 2019, so that's my answer.

Serafos2 hours ago
2 hours ago

Sep 2008
started in 2006 I believe. on the internet anyway.
้ฆฌ้นฟใ’ใŸๅ€ซ็†ใ€€ๅ…จ้ƒจใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใง
1 hour ago

Nov 2013
Internet binging would've started in like 2005 or 2006 for me.
1 hour ago

Jun 2017
I saw my first anime in 2002

But i didn't really become a full time viewer until about 2016
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
1 hour ago

Aug 2010
Since Fall 2009, so almost 15 years now
1 hour ago

Jan 2014
2013 for me, it all started because I saw a girl from my programming class back in highschool have a FMA bag. Asked her what it was and she said it was anime. Went home to watch it on Neftlix, and watched like 5 episodes and thought it was meh ( this was the original FMA ) Then I remembered that both Naruto and One Piece that both aired a lot when I was a kid were also anime. I always figured they were american cartoons growing up.

I remember being upset that both shows at the time were not on netflix and I was under the assumption I had to buy the dvds for it lol. Then genius 16 year old me thought of the idea. "What if I just type Naruto episode 1 into google" and behold, I was now able to watch it lul. I then binge watched both Naruto and One Piece as my summer break literally just started.

Fast forward 11 years later, and having completed 1,000 anime and I still adore anime, and is 80% of my entertainment media, the other 20% being videogames.

I would have eventually gotten into anime if I didn't see that FMA bag all those years ago, but I'm glad I got into it when I did, and I'm so happy it was One Piece that truly sparked my interest for this near perfect medium of entertainment
DoctorWasabi1 hour ago
1 hour ago

Sep 2022
I became a regular anime watcher during 2020.
1 hour ago

May 2019
i've been casually watching anime since 2003 and actively watching anime since 2016.
1 hour ago

Jun 2024
Since 2003 when I was five yep I grew up on anime. And now I'm 27 so 22 years, VHS Soar High Isami and Zenki as a gift.
Kirika_Madeleine12 minutes ago
1 hour ago

Nov 2021
October 2020 when I first watched one punch man on Youtube.

1 hour ago

Nov 2018
Watched for the first time, in the year 2006.

Started watching weekly episodes/ eagerly chomping on baby carrots for them few weekly episodes, from the year 2008.

Started the customary tradition of binging from the year 2010.

I've come a long way, but it feels like in exchange for Za Binge, I may have lost something more important as a human being? Emotions would swirl within me as a kid when i beheld shows. Anticipation, Impatience, Anger, Sorrow, Joy.........Peace. But now.... Day after day, after a single episode, I go back to my chores, heartsore and sit on my Blue Lightning Rocking Chair......

49 minutes ago

Feb 2021
I started watching anime for real in like 2017
45 minutes ago
Oct 2019
10 years I started regularly in 2014 aside what I watched younger during the 99-2000's.
41 minutes ago

May 2018
"actively" is kinda hard to judge because I take long breaks. but I've been intentionally watching anime for 13 years or so. before that, it was my dad sitting me in front of the tv.
can't yuck my yum

40 minutes ago
Sep 2023
about 3 years, i started watching anime at 2020. after seeing my friends talking about it i got curious then i asked them about it, they told me to watch naruto. after watching and finishing naruto, i started watching anime actively.
32 minutes ago

Jun 2016
I don't know we had anime on tv when I was like 1.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
27 minutes ago

Feb 2014
I think it's interesting that most people here answer they started watching anime on the internet without a second thoughy. If this thread was made when I joined MAL (A decade ago), most people would have an answer on the likes of "As early as I can remember" due to their first contact being on TV.

If you don't count

• Anime anime I watched on TV (And my earliest memories are of stuff like InuYasha, Hamtaro and Pokemon)
  • 360p, three 8-minute parts on YouTube (Digimon Frontier around 2009/2010, and Digimon Savers around 2010/2011 because I couldn't bear waiting for new episodes on TV. In Savers case, at some point there were no more dubbed episodes available, so I started watching it subbed)
  • Random Naruto Shippuden episodes on the internet on a specific occasion

Then I started watching anime (Knowing what anime is) on dedicated websites in 2012 with Strawberry Panic and Fairy Tail (Which would also be my first manga).
As for seasonals (Apart from SAO in 2012 and Magi in 2012/2013), I began regularly watching them in 2014 with Sakura Trick, followed by Akuma no Riddle and Hitsugi no Chaika, where I first made my MAL account (Though I would only really start using MAL around 2016).

Strawberry Panic might seem like a weird pick, but around the time some images from it gave me "weird new feelings" and attracted me to it (Around a similar, time I had something similar happen to me when I watched the trailer of Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan", though to this day I haven't watched it). I also had strange, interesting feelings when I watched those random Naruto Shippuden episodes (IIRC it was the Sasuke vs Itachi fight, it felt like something "heavy", something that "I shouldn't be watching"), as well as Digimon Frontier and Savers. And no, I don't mean "weird new feelings" as in a sexual sense, but actually sensations and thoughts I never had before.
thewiru10 minutes ago
21 minutes ago

Jul 2017
Seriously watching since 2011 so 13 years
14 minutes ago
Awkward Fellow

Oct 2018
First exposure was Star Blazers on tv around 1979.
Started watching titles on VHS around 1995.
Streaming since 2018.
10 minutes ago

Jan 2023
I think it's been 6 or 7 years since I've started watching anime consistently :)

More topics from this board

» Are you able to associate with people who buys Weird Anime Merch?

Dragevard - Jul 22

27 by Adnash »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you have a crush on any of the voice actors? or just their voice?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

9 by Psyzzy »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » would you do anime related work?

nishant0 - Today

10 by MeguSae38 »»
8 minutes ago

» Dub vs. Sub: The Story Behind Your Preference ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Feb 8

101 by Guilmon1 »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you consider yourself as- Anime Guy, Manga Guy or Neutral

nirererin - Yesterday

45 by MadanielFL »»
17 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.