Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2023 2:05 PM

Jun 2023
Anime addiction, also known as anime dependency or anime obsession, refers to a situation where individuals excessively engage with anime content to the point where it begins to interfere with their daily lives and overall well-being. Some signs and symptoms associated with anime addiction can include:

• Preoccupation: Constantly thinking about anime, wanting to watch it, or planning the next anime-related activity.
  • Excessive viewing: Spending an excessive amount of time watching anime series, movies, or episodes, often neglecting other responsibilities, such as school, work, or social obligations.
  • Neglected hobbies and activities: Losing interest in previously enjoyed hobbies or activities due to a focus solely on anime-related content.
  • Social withdrawal: Withdrawing from social interactions and spending more time alone or with a limited circle of anime-oriented friends.
  • Impaired functioning: Difficulty in maintaining regular daily routines, such as disrupted sleep patterns, irregular meal times, or neglecting personal hygiene.
  • Neglected relationships: Neglecting relationships with family, friends, or romantic partners in favor of excessive anime consumption.
  • Emotional dependency: Developing emotional attachment to anime characters and experiencing intense emotions that may interfere with real-life relationships.
  • Escapism: Using anime as a means to escape from real-life problems, leading to avoidance of responsibilities and difficulties.
  • Financial implications: Spending excessive amounts of money on anime merchandise, collectibles, or related events, leading to financial strain.
  • Withdrawal symptoms: Feeling irritable, restless, or anxious when unable to watch anime or when attempting to cut down on viewing time.

It's important to note that enjoying anime as a hobby or form of entertainment does not necessarily indicate addiction. The key distinction lies in the extent to which it negatively impacts an individual's life, relationships, and overall functioning.
Jul 1, 2023 2:11 PM

Sep 2020
Maybe A little, I think about which anime for the day I have and haven't watched quite often, think about which to watch next, and I basically only listen to anime music.
Jul 1, 2023 2:19 PM

Nov 2018
I have an addiction to the Kiss x Sis manga
MAL EMOJIS - Get your specially formatted emojis for MAL forums.

Jul 1, 2023 2:23 PM

Mar 2021
HarrierDuBoisFan said:
Do you have an anime addiction?

I have more of an addiction to collecting Anime than actually watching it. I have been collecting Anime on official physical hard copies for over the last 3 decades from VHS in the 90s, to DVD and retro Anime on Laser Discs in the 2000s, To currently collecting contemporary Anime on Blu-Ray from the 2010s and beyond. When ever the next new format ever comes out I am sure I will transition to collecting those too. Usually Any retro Anime I will still settle for collecting it on Laser Disc or DVDs and even sometimes finding rare VCD copies but I stopped collecting Anime on VHS a few years ago due to noticing some of my VHS copies starting to noticeably decay a few years ago.

Even though I have been spending excessive amounts of money on Anime almost my entire life it has never really been in the least a financial strain on me. I have just been lucky that I have been able most of my life to afford such a hobby and still live my life financial sound even being married and also having a daughter in my life too.
ColourWheelJul 1, 2023 2:41 PM
Jul 1, 2023 2:27 PM

Jan 2013
I doubt it. I really enjoy watching anime, but I could easily go without it for an extended period of time.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 1, 2023 2:37 PM

Oct 2010
my job is boring and most people around are dumb. Anime is the way to go.
Jul 1, 2023 2:48 PM

May 2019
No, but i certainly have a hentai addiction.
Jul 1, 2023 4:48 PM

Dec 2015
Taking a look at my others addiction and comparing them into anime it seems like I am not addicted to anime. Cause I almost can't spend a day without drinking Coca Cola, listening to music or smoking a cigarette while in other hand for anime there are some days in which I have lost motivation and I ain't watching any episodes.

Idk if these symptoms are legit or not but gonna by each of them take a look and think if these are close or not to my reality:
Preoccupation - I don't think about anime, unless something is fresh like when Cyberpunk Edgerunners came out for few days I was thinking about it cause of the impact it left on me, but when it comes to everyday reality I don't ever spend time on thinking about it, usually if I think about anime it is because a Japanese song has started to play on my spotify playlist and I am taking few seconds of time to guess from what anime it is and that is all.

Excessive viewing - I usually procrastinate and leave important stuff for the last possible day/minute, although the anime is not a reason for it or any other stuff it is just my negative metnality/behaviour/habit with which I am trying to fight with for quite a long time with no success.
I have never skipped any of my University/High School/Middle School/Primary School subjects/lessons because of anime it has never happened and it will not happen.

Neglected Hobbies - I actually lost motivation to drawing, which isn't the first time it has happened. I don't know if that's even relatable to anime, especially that few times I am trying to go back to drawing and after 15 - 20 minutes when I see that I struggle with a specific perspective, composition etc. Than I am giving up often, in nowadays it is usually always.
That is so far the first point which might be considered but I would doubt in it - outside Drawing I don't have any other hobbies which I would consider as hobbies, which is why I don't put here listening to music etc. etc.

Social withdrawal - Absolutely opposite, because of people who were in the same highschool and shared in common the fact of liking anime I got to know from them that such convention as Pyrkon exists and there are alot of anime fans, with a section dedicated to anime and I do usually have some nice interactions with them or simply quite a good talking.
Aswell as I often hit some bars, especially karaoke bars and I do interact with other people quite often, today I have a hangover cause yesterday I've hit a night club and a bar - Interacted with black tourist from Colorado, with some 2 random girls and lastly when I was in the queqeu for ordering a Kebab I also had a short talk with a guy from North-East Usa who moved to Poland and has a job there [at least that's how I remember that, but I am sure only about him being from North-East, I was already very drunk back than so my memories are blanding]

Impaired functioning - I always had problems with sleeping especially falling asleep and it was before I even knew or even started to watch anime so that is not related. And in fact my meal times are irregular but it is cause due to university studies schedule which are irregular, in this semester I had free wednsdays while at the same time I had to be in University at tuesdays from 8.00 till 20.00 literally 12 hours without enough of free time to have a lunch so another fact which is not related to anime when it comes to me.

Neglected relationship - No

Emotional Dependency - No

Escapism - No

Financial implications - I don't even buy anime merch, the only things I bought were SAO, NGNL and Bleach light novels and that is all.

Withdrawal - No

In nutshell - I guess I am not even close to being addicted into anime - it is simply an enterteinment form to kill some time
ZettaikenJul 1, 2023 4:53 PM
Jul 1, 2023 5:05 PM

Jul 2012
No, I don't think i'm anywhere near addiction level. I like anime, enough to join a forum. But not to a point where it interferes with daily life.
Jul 1, 2023 5:08 PM
Jun 2023
I don't think I have an addiction, one reason in particular is because I procrastinate alot. But I do find myself relating to characters and having comfort characters, however I don't think it's to an unhealthy point. Also I'm nonromantic and never simp over characters.
Jul 1, 2023 5:11 PM

Feb 2020
No I don't, but maybe I have a Waifu addiction...?🤔
Jul 1, 2023 6:54 PM

Feb 2020
"Do you have an anime addiction?"

Maybe not an addiction, but anime is a big part of my life.
Jul 1, 2023 6:56 PM
Handler One

Jan 2023
I mean anime is my main source of entertainment but I take breaks every now and then

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Jul 1, 2023 7:13 PM
Sep 2021
I don´t think so , yes i watch a lot of anime but i do so many more activities and other things that i consider that i´m not a addict.
Jul 1, 2023 7:18 PM

Aug 2018
I have some addictions but anime isn't one of them. Otherwise I'd be freaking out right now from withdrawal symptoms. I haven't hardly watched anime at all for months.
Jul 1, 2023 7:24 PM

Aug 2009
In terms of constantly feeling the need to watch anime on a daily basis: Nope.

In terms of a certain show living in my head rent free: ...Shut up.

Jul 1, 2023 7:24 PM

Sep 2018
Videogames are my primary hobby.  Anime takes second fiddle so no.  
Jul 1, 2023 7:35 PM

Jul 2019
I, kinda maybe, fortunately, accidentally killed mine.
Jul 1, 2023 7:49 PM
Feb 2022
When i started in the anime world in 2018, i was surprised by the amount of different things to watch, and i wanted to watch the most i could. I accept i have an anime adiction for the last 2 years, so i'm trying to change that.  I'm finishing all the short animes i already started, and I'm planning a routine wich consist in only watch one anime at a time, and only two if it's a long anime with more than 50 episodes, so i will not be thinking in the series i have to finish. Hope it works.
Jul 1, 2023 8:19 PM

Nov 2015
i keep watching pretty much exclusively for saturday nights and sunday mornings, and i read manga sometimes during the week as i try to set an hour a day aside for reading to work through all the books i own but haven't read. there was a time when i was religiously watching 3 episodes a night most days, but it's been years since i burned out on that. as for the social side of things, i've been withdrawn since middle school and haven't really changed, and didn't get into anime until college, so it never cut into my nonexistent social life. i've also cut down on the spending, only buying series i really enjoyed and settling for torrenting more.
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion.
Jul 1, 2023 8:35 PM

Mar 2019
I think so...  Someone Help...! '-'
Jul 1, 2023 9:04 PM

May 2015
I had these symptomps somewhere around between 2011 and 2015. I think of those years as the "golden age" of my relationship with anime, the time when watching anime felt extremely enjoyable.
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jul 1, 2023 9:11 PM

Jun 2020
I think it's just hobby that I have when I have too much free time, or when something catches my interest. Nothing more.
Jul 1, 2023 9:12 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
I want become anime addict instead lollll but cnt since i already watched almost everything about survival, high stake game, etc for troll / parody only gintama that i hvnt watch so far lmaoooo

Jul 1, 2023 9:21 PM
May 2023
No I’m not a fucking weeb I watch this shit for fun 

I have a video game addiction and tbh I would be more addicted to anime if good senien shit came out today
Jul 2, 2023 4:41 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022

Anime means I can leave this incredibly inconvenient and hypocritical boring society, Anime is my sanctuary, or my cocoon..

It's anime or death..
ryo-sanJul 2, 2023 5:24 AM

Jul 2, 2023 4:46 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Escapism: Using anime as a means to escape from real-life problems, leading to avoidance of responsibilities and difficulties

Why the fuck should I have to take responsibility and face problems created by other people?

Did I ask to be born just so I can face all this shit? Why should I comply with rules made by scumbags?

I rather skip to death than be one of those sheep that goes to an educational institution for 20 years then get a boring job and get married, and die.

Jul 2, 2023 5:00 AM

Jul 2021
not really. i'm just addicted to dopamine, enjoyment and entertainment. when i downloaded honkai star rail for the first time i went full 5 days without watching anime, would play the game daily for 12+ hours.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 2, 2023 5:08 AM

Jan 2008
I do love anime but not to the point of any of the listed in the OP. 
OK maybe I put stuff off by watching anime instead but I do that with playing games and other things too. It's not an anime exclusive issue.
And yeah I think about anime a little when not watching it but now whilst I'm doing other things. 

I'm just a a slightly above average viewer who watches anime as an enjoyable hobby
Jul 2, 2023 5:19 AM

Jul 2021
No, I basically don't have anything to watch.
The best way to resist temptation is to not even have it.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 2, 2023 5:39 AM

Jun 2023
ryo-san said:
Escapism: Using anime as a means to escape from real-life problems, leading to avoidance of responsibilities and difficulties

Why the fuck should I have to take responsibility and face problems created by other people?

Did I ask to be born just so I can face all this shit? Why should I comply with rules made by scumbags?

I rather skip to death than be one of those sheep that goes to an educational institution for 20 years then get a boring job and get married, and die.

Damn people are really like this huh, well there was bound to be at least one of them. It’s ok though, live your life however you want.
Jul 2, 2023 6:16 AM

Aug 2017
Seriously? You don't even watch Anime, why are u trying to dictate our life? "Social obligations" what. There's no such thing as that. Everything you say is false except "Impaired functioning".
NurguburuJul 2, 2023 6:24 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 2, 2023 6:45 AM

Dec 2020
Imagine caring about normies' standards.
No I don't have an anime addiction.

Jul 2, 2023 7:57 AM

Jan 2023
I do spend a lot of time watching anime and thinking about anime, though I don't know if I would call that an "addiction" haha.

I mean, I can stop to watch whenever I want, I swear! 
Just let me get a quick look at the new upcoming seasonal animes.... Hmmm, this anime looks interesting, and this one , and this one, and this one...!
Well, never mind,...
Jul 2, 2023 10:31 AM

May 2018
"Do you have an anime addiction?"

Duuuh.
Jul 2, 2023 10:39 AM

Apr 2019
Naa. I am unable to watch more than 2 anime episodes daily nowadays and my interest in the anime community has diminished by a lot as well. I was addicted to anime back in my teenage years but now it's difficult to finish even one show.
Jul 2, 2023 10:44 AM

Feb 2021
No, it is one of my different hobbies.
Jul 2, 2023 11:54 AM

Apr 2023
No, but i have an addiction for making videos >about< anime at this point.
Jul 2, 2023 12:17 PM

Sep 2007
2nd_Rune said:
No, I don't think i'm anywhere near addiction level. I like anime, enough to join a forum. But not to a point where it interferes with daily life.
Same here as I watch it moderation and whenever I feel like it or motivated to do so.
Jul 2, 2023 12:20 PM

Jan 2021
I think I can relate with 4 or 5 of these points but it's just one of my few hobbies.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jul 2, 2023 9:56 PM

Dec 2013
I was addicted, for an extended period of time. But now, I feel I've come full circle. So at this point in time, anime for me is like, reading is for someone who likes to read. Same as people who like to game, watch movies and listen to music. You know, it's just something that you do, because it feels the most comfortable and natural for your state of mind.
It has to do with how I fell in love with anime, then became obsessed and later disappointed by anime. I think all in all a healthy experience.
Jul 2, 2023 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
yes probably not ad bad as last year where that was my biggest obsession
Jul 2, 2023 10:19 PM

Oct 2013
Naw. I've seen a lot of anime, but if I were obsessed I wouldn't be able to take so many long breaks from it. Also, most of my hobby money goes to games, not anime or any anime related merch. Games that I also often take breaks from. If anything, I take too long to get through things I want to do in general and let them pile up into a huge backlog.
Jul 3, 2023 3:49 AM

Mar 2023
Not anymore. Most modern anime do not look intersting to me. So i have no desire to watch all of them. Better to spend time outside rather than being addicted to a medium that are getting worse for every new year.
SpunkertJul 3, 2023 3:52 AM
Jul 3, 2023 4:27 AM
Feb 2022
Normally, no, I enjoy watching some anime, but I don't consider myself addicted to anime. If someone told me I should stop watching anime for the rest of my life, I wouldn't mind it at all.
However, I'm literally quite burned out of anime in the past few months, so... I don't really care about anime at all anymore lol.

(Aside from some upcoming anime seasons I was very excited for)
Jul 3, 2023 5:01 AM

Mar 2021
No, I am addicted to creating methamphetamine

More topics from this board

» How well do you remember when you watched a certain anime?

thewiru - Oct 4

21 by SignsOfSuicide »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Topic

GoldenCash - 3 hours ago

18 by SignsOfSuicide »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you care about your anime watching pace?

Zakatsuki_ - Oct 3

39 by NubFix »»
15 minutes ago

» ☀️Summer'24: OP/ ED of the season & discussion

nirererin - 7 hours ago

41 by nirererin »»
21 minutes ago

» Average Isekai shows are like... podcasts?

RudeRedis - Yesterday

15 by BigBoyAdvance »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.