Forum Settings
Forums

Which genre has fallen significantly in quality in recent years?

New
Apr 24, 2023 8:23 AM
Jun 2021
I would be glad if you could give me specific examples. For example, from 15 years ago, 'x' and 'y' was good.
HM0710Apr 25, 2023 7:11 AM
Apr 24, 2023 8:34 AM
Jul 2021
I personally dont think any genre has specifically gone worse enough for me to notice, but isekai obviously has become way too oversaturated , and i feel like psychological anime aren't quite the same nowadays.
HM0710 said:
What I mean here is that, for example, 10 years ago there were very good romances, but now they are very generic.
I would be glad if you could give me specific examples. For example, from 15 years ago, 'x' and 'y' was good.

Also i like quite a lot of new gen romance anime like love is war , wotakoi , romantic killer , fruits basket remake (if that counts ) and all
Apr 24, 2023 8:37 AM

Sep 2010
Romance: only bad romcoms with boring characters these days
Fantasy: all replaced by copy paste isekai
Mecha: can't even remember when the last good mecha came out
Apr 24, 2023 8:38 AM

Apr 2015
Scifi, yeah, we get mecha like Gundam and whatnot, but none of the recent scifi have full scifi settings or elements like futuristic cities, weapons or characters like robots, androids or cyborgs mixed together.  
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 24, 2023 8:40 AM

Sep 2020
Isekai first comes to mind, very few of them(new ones) in recent years stand out compared to around 2014~2017.
Apr 24, 2023 8:41 AM
Jun 2021
MAXproARYAN said:
MAXproARYAN said:

Also i like quite a lot of new gen romance anime like love is war , wotakoi , romantic killer , fruits basket remake (if that counts ) and all
This was just a random example, unfortunately I haven't seen many old anime, so I don't really know what to compare to.
Apr 24, 2023 8:55 AM

Jul 2014
I do think most genres have taken a dip in quality to an extent in recent years, but I think that's to be expected when we get bombarded with so many anime each season, the studios are just flinging shit at the wall and hoping it sticks most of the time.
One that pains me a lot is psychological anime being a lot less prevalent, and very few of the modern ones catching my interest whatsoever. Another obvious example is how oversaturated isekai is, but I didn't care for the genre to begin with so eh.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Apr 24, 2023 8:57 AM

Feb 2020
I think Sci-Fi has become a bit boring.
Apr 24, 2023 9:09 AM
Jun 2021
ateks said:
Romance: only bad romcoms with boring characters these days
Fantasy: all replaced by copy paste isekai
Mecha: can't even remember when the last good mecha came out

Tropisch said:
Scifi, yeah, we get mecha like Gundam and whatnot, but none of the recent scifi have full scifi settings or elements like futuristic cities, weapons or characters like robots, androids or cyborgs mixed together.  

Even though I defend mecha and sci-fi almost non-stop, I have to agree with this. What was the last time there was a sci-fi show that was more than just "decent"? 2013?
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 24, 2023 9:15 AM
Dec 2021
 cgdct
cringe fest for pedophiles
Apr 24, 2023 9:24 AM

Jul 2015
The genre that went downhill over the last decade is anime. UwU

Also no comment on romances of the 2010s being good. Still have ptsd from Toradora! and Kimi ni todoke.
Apr 24, 2023 9:25 AM

Apr 2015
slice of life
how the hell is it taking me so long to get through this shitty arc
Apr 24, 2023 10:11 AM

Sep 2008
Hmmm...

Isekai: Oversaturated and largely rehashes premises from past titles.
Harems: Largely feature shallow characters and being defined by the females' single-minded interest in the male lead.
Slice-of-Life: Largely an acquired taste depending on the premise and the comedy milked in said titles can largely feel flat.
Apr 24, 2023 11:57 AM
Apr 2023
Mystery. Especially the mystery/horror niche. The genre overall is harshly neglected, and to my mind often misattributed. Has been dead since the early 2010s, occasional splashes notwithstanding. 

tomasowa said:
To be fair, the answer is simple and has nothing to do with production quality.
That is to say, the genre whose audience, through the years, have grown out of whatever naivety drew them in in the first place.

That is not to say the genre as whole has grown worse; the kids who watch them today will still favour them as did their now-older seniors.
It is just that these same seniors are more vocal online and give off the assumption that the genre has fallen out of favour, which it only has to them ...

True. However, it would be just to add that an aesthetic of a genre inevitably changes throughout the time. And style is what makes people cling to certain titles and genres, among other things.
Apr 24, 2023 12:01 PM

Dec 2018
One example that comes to mind is the isekai genre, which has become oversaturated with generic, poorly-written shows that rely heavily on tired cliches and fan service to make up for their lack of substance..
Apr 24, 2023 12:05 PM

Mar 2023
Idol, most of them are just pandering to ithe idol fans rather than telling a good story.
SpunkertApr 26, 2023 9:54 AM
Apr 24, 2023 12:22 PM
Apr 2023
takamono said:
Isekai first comes to mind, very few of them(new ones) in recent years stand out compared to around 2014~2017.

As a fan of the genre, I would disagree. Seasons of the last few years consistently had a decent output of stuff to watch. 

Not to mention that some of the best Isekai shows have been produced during the past 6 years, in terms of overall production quality and writing:
-Cautious Hero (2019)
-The Eminence in Shadow (2022)
-Handyman Saitou (2023)
-Overlord III (2018) & Overlord IV (2022).
Apr 24, 2023 9:58 PM

Feb 2021
People saying isekai haven't truly watched isekai in the past few years...
Apr 24, 2023 10:21 PM

Oct 2017
Serafos said:
I think Sci-Fi has become a bit boring.
Then Heavenly Delusion strikes this season :DD

Back to the point, yeah, Isekai got a huge dip in quality in general .
In the past there're much more creative Iseka that's not the boring RPG GAME SETTING and STAT, taking place in Medieval Era.
They wanna fit the taste of current gen Otoko way too much.
Apr 24, 2023 10:24 PM

Jul 2015
Harem definitely. In 99% of those it is obvious at episode one who is going to win, because genre became generic.
CGDCT also were in decline, but in Fall 2022 the genre had a renaissance.

Apr 24, 2023 10:53 PM

Aug 2020
Preaching to the choir here apparently, but still:
Isekai, duh. Went from creative, interesting settings and amazing fantasy or historical worlds to generic fantasy RPG town #4289 and game-inspired mechanics copied from each other in every single work. Oh, but this time I'm a sword! This time I have a smartphone! No, no, this is totally different because I'm actually the villain/decided to farm instead/etc.
Yeah no, it's all the same slop still.

Isekai has forgotten what it is actually supposed to be ABOUT - a different world.

They keep coming up with new gimmicks, but never with new worlds. I miss the days of stuff like Twelve Kingdoms, Spirited Away, Inuyasha, Fushigi Yuugi, heck, even Digimon Adventure! When getting swept off to another world actually MEANT another world, something crazy and new and unfamiliar where we didn't understand how things work. F**k SAO, the lightnovel platforms giving incentives to continue churning out that trash, and everything they did to this genre.

Other than that I don't really have any complaints. Recent battle shounen are great, shoujo romance is having a beautiful little renaissance lately, sports is consistently giving me a decent number of good shows, mecha has it's occasional breakout hit, both the quality and subject matter of BL have improved leaps and bounds compared to how it was in the past, and so on.

Oh, actually, detective shows!
They used to be pretty common and I always enjoyed them, stuff like Detective Conan, City Hunter, Detective Academy Q, Kindaichi Shounen Case Files, Un-Go and so on (technically also Death Note, I guess), but I feel like we barely get anything new in this genre recently, and the ones we do get aren't proper detective shows and more just...vague mystery-solving instead or they immediately drop their detective setting to pursue another plot (like Bungo Stray Dogs, ID-Invaded, or Balance: Unlimited). Detective Conan is still ongoing, so this genre doesn't feel as lacking yet as isekai does, but it would be nice to see some more shows about actual detectives solving actual crimes coming out again. I know the genre is absolutely oversaturated in live action media (both Japanese and Western), but that's not the same, there's just something extra enjoyable about a teenage cast dealing with all of these crimes in the over-the-top ways that are unique to anime~
Apr 25, 2023 12:17 AM

May 2018
Sci-fi from something somehow sophisticated has become "Lets take the brain of this guy and randomly put it in his sister's body!", "Kaina of the plot convince " and whatever GITS SAC_2045 was about.
Yes, we still have things like Chikyuugai Shounen Shoujo and maybe Exception counts, but those are rare and come randomly.

One can argue that I am skipping on Cyberpunk: Edgerunners and Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, but those were only audio-visually impressive. Story-wise: nothing to write home about.

The rest of the genres are their usual mess.

Also thematically we are getting less and less titles for the shoujo-josei spectrum.
Apr 25, 2023 12:48 AM
Aug 2021
HM0710 said:
What I mean here is that, for example, 10 years ago there were very good fantasies, but now they are very generic.
Probably Fantasy. In my opinion only Makoto Shinkai makes S tier Fantasy anime. 
Apr 25, 2023 1:12 AM

Jul 2012
Fantasy has been replaced with shitty generic isekais.
Mecha has like 2-3 big shows for each decade, besides them the genre is pretty much dead.
Fighting Shounen are becoming more copy and paste or thats just me.

Apr 25, 2023 1:21 AM

Sep 2014
Fantasy has largely been replaced by isekai, and while most isekai are generic garbage, ironically the best are still running/getting new seasons or only recently aired. Its ironic because the LNs for all of those are actually quite old, all the generic trash isekai came after the OGs like Mushoku Tensei or Re Zero, but they might have gotten their adaption sooner. So its hard to say this genre got worse, its certainly not going to get better though.

Sci Fi absolutely.. we had Kanata no Astra aaand that was it? Some proper space show is super rare.

I also think the Moe genre is in a weird state, admittedly its not my most watched genre but we dont get classics like Haruhi anymore.

"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 25, 2023 1:34 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Mystery. Especially the murder/mystery/comedy. The mystery genre o
is harshly neglected in anime but there's a shit load Manga and live action Adaptation that come out every season..
But this season we have a couple of them but they are not really revolve around locked room mystery and lacks that supernatural factor

Apr 25, 2023 2:12 AM

Oct 2017
HM0710 said:
What I mean here is that, for example, 10 years ago there were very good fantasies, but now they are very generic.
? Fantasy as a genre wasn't in that much better a place in 2013 than it was today. I am really confused why you think so. Even with the glut of isekai fantasy you still get some interesting ones. We do have a lot on the upcoming horizon (Frieren, Delicious in Dungeon, Witch Hat Atelier).

Sci Fi and Mecha really started to struggle in the 2010s and still do now. You do get some exceptions (Edgerunners, Girls Last Tour, Heavenly Delusion, Vivy, 86, Astra, Gundam is still going strong, we do have Pluto this year) but as genres it's pretty sparse overall when it used to dominate the industry in the 70s-90s and somewhat into the early 2000s. 

Shojo/Josei as a demographic didn't see much in the 2010s (more the mid/late 2010s) again compared to the 2000s. I think it's starting to rebound though as we have started to get some more notable shojo romances again and otome isekai has started to gain in popularity. Still far cry from when Nana, Nodame Cantible, Ouran HS Club used to actually be big titles or when Sailor Moon used to be one of the most noteworthy anime out there not named DBZ. 
Apr 25, 2023 2:28 AM
Dec 2020
Hot take: Being exposed to a lot of anime and the surge of people watching anime during the pandemic has increase the volume and production of anime. There are a lot of terrible anime of the same genre back then and only the best ones were remembered.

Some genres that still have great recent anime that I've watched:

Scifi: Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Sports: Blue Lock
Romcom: Love is War, My Dress Up Darling, More than a married couple, but not lovers.
Shonen: Chainsawman, JJK
Mystery: Summertime Render
Apr 25, 2023 2:41 AM
Apr 2017
There are fewer mecha stories now than before. But because I became an anime fan relatively recently (2017) and it saved me from what I perceive as a decline in western fandoms, I don't notice big problems with it yet.
Apr 25, 2023 7:07 AM
Jun 2021
BilboBaggins365 said:
HM0710 said:
? Fantasy as a genre wasn't in that much better a place in 2013 than it was today. I am really confused why you think so. Even with the glut of isekai fantasy you still get some interesting ones. We do have a lot on the upcoming horizon (Frieren, Delicious in Dungeon, Witch Hat Atelier).

This was just a random example of roughly what kind of answers I expected. I haven't seen many old anime(before 2010) so I can't even compare. I was a bit ambiguous, sorry. (I deleted it instead)
However, I still think that most fantasy anime are average or just a little better than average. Hot take: I would include the Witch Hat Atelier in the latter. (I rated 6 points.)
HM0710Apr 25, 2023 7:11 AM
Apr 25, 2023 8:46 AM

Feb 2016
BilboBaggins365 said:
somewhat into the early 2000s.
I would say that was SF at its lowest. All we got were reboots of older manga like Astro Boy and Terra e. The recent titles you listed signal the genre's recovery.
その目だれの目?
Apr 25, 2023 9:02 AM

May 2019
I think that mecha fell off drastically.
Apr 25, 2023 3:38 PM

Jan 2021
Romcom. Like, holy hell, I've been starving for a good romcom, only the Quintuplets kept me in place in the last couple of years.

Also, I'd repeat the above and say mecha. Iron Blooded Orphans was probably the last time Gundam pulled out anything good, EVA had its god awful Rebuild movies, Macross is probably dead, Mazinger is definitely dead, so basically none of the big franchise are on their game and all the new ones don't reach their level.
Apr 25, 2023 3:47 PM

Jan 2021
Shinoda-SNAFU said:

Also, while this genre has always been copy-paste, seeing that Jujutsu Kaisen, Kimetsu no Yaiba and Chainsaw Man all have the exact same basic plot says a lot of how much more copied it is now.
Apr 25, 2023 8:23 PM

Feb 2016
Ionliosite2 said:
Shinoda-SNAFU said:
Also, while this genre has always been copy-paste, seeing that Jujutsu Kaisen, Kimetsu no Yaiba and Chainsaw Man all have the exact same basic plot says a lot of how much more copied it is now.
Thanks, now I know not to watch them. I only gave Demon Slayer a chance because I like the art. I had hoped Chainsaw Man would be more like Devilman, since both manga are known for their violence. Jujutsu Kaisen hasn't really been on my radar.
その目だれの目?
Apr 25, 2023 8:34 PM

Feb 2014
MAXproARYAN said:
I personally dont think any genre has specifically gone worse enough for me to notice, but isekai obviously has become way too oversaturated
Isekai became a genre that should be accepted just like action, comedy, etc. And I am not even an isekai fan.
Apr 26, 2023 12:32 AM

Oct 2017
HM0710 said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

This was just a random example of roughly what kind of answers I expected. I haven't seen many old anime(before 2010) so I can't even compare. I was a bit ambiguous, sorry. (I deleted it instead)
However, I still think that most fantasy anime are average or just a little better than average. Hot take: I would include the Witch Hat Atelier in the latter. (I rated 6 points.)
I mean personally I don't usually like how anime/Japan tackles a lot of Western inspired high/epic fantasy settings (main reason I hope it dies and we see a rebirth within sci fi which I think they do better). People complain about isekai today but Loddoss War and Slayers were hardly that much better in my opinion (honestly even some generic fantasy is better than those titles). Fair on Witch Hat haven't read it just heard good things. Frieren though is very good as a SOL drama of the parts I have read. I will say there were good fantasy titles in the early 2010s like Yona or HxH remake but I just don't think overall it was exceptionally better than now. 

Still I mean if you compare a lot of big epic fantasy works within anime and manga to a lot of equivalent Western works like LOTR, Cosmere Universe (don't think Brandon would do it but his works work well as anime), A Song of Fire and Ice, Wheel of Time etc I mean there is no contest there. Granted I mean I still have yet to read Berserrk but if I want epic fantasy I would just rather read Western writers for something actually good. Maybe I come to anime for the occasional good story or self insert fantasy shlock that you occasoionally need. 

It is strange though because in other media Japan actually does Western fantasy quite well such as in video games (Demon Soul Franchise, Fire Emblem, FF etc) 
Lucifrost said:
BilboBaggins365 said:
somewhat into the early 2000s.
I would say that was SF at its lowest. All we got were reboots of older manga like Astro Boy and Terra e. The recent titles you listed signal the genre's recovery.
I mean the 2000s did have stuff like GiTS SAC, [font="\"Google Sans\", arial, sans-serif-medium, sans-serif"]Texhnolyze, Eureka Seven, Gankutsuou, Planetes, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (I know controversial especially with Destiny but I remember enjoying it as a kid). Also I didnt realize Ego Prxoy came out in 2006 assumed it was an early 2000s show. 

Still I agree the wheels for the genre were starting to fall off but I think there was more life then than now. I do think though yeah we are starting to see more. We got Pluto for this year. Madhouse has a sci fi drama they are adapting for Summer. Gundam is still going strong. Again it kinda feels more like a return to the early 2000s were we get a few notable sci fi titles every year or so but still nothing on the past in like the 80s when mecha shows were plentiful. [/font]
BilboBaggins365Apr 26, 2023 12:43 AM
Apr 26, 2023 12:48 AM

Jul 2016
Which genre has fallen significantly in quality in recent years?

The West has fallen. The most important genre.
Apr 26, 2023 8:12 AM

Feb 2016

BilboBaggins365 said:
Still I mean if you compare a lot of big epic fantasy works within anime and manga to a lot of equivalent Western works like LOTR, Cosmere Universe (don't think Brandon would do it but his works work well as anime), A Song of Fire and Ice, Wheel of Time etc I mean there is no contest there.
I don't think fantasy for adults is any good, but I agree English language fantasy is better if we consider books for kids and teens such as Harry Potter or Deltora or Chrestomanci. Since most anime are for kids and teens, it makes less sense to compare them to books for adults. Diana Wynne Jones wrote a great essay on the subject of kids vs. adults.
https://suberic.net/dwj/medusa.html

BilboBaggins365 said:
It is strange though because in other media Japan actually does Western fantasy quite well such as in video games (Demon Soul Franchise, Fire Emblem, FF etc)
It is truly one of the world's greatest mysteries.
その目だれの目?
Apr 26, 2023 8:22 AM

May 2018
Probably Fantasy, ever since it got mixed with Isekai and Reincarnation, so we have a lot more but at the same time they're mostly garbage. We need more stuff like Berserk 97, Fullmetal Alchemist and Mushishi to actually represent the genre.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 26, 2023 8:28 AM
Aug 2020
BilboBaggins365 said:
HM0710 said:
I mean personally I don't usually like how anime/Japan tackles a lot of Western inspired high/epic fantasy settings (main reason I hope it dies and we see a rebirth within sci fi which I think they do better). People complain about isekai today but Loddoss War and Slayers were hardly that much better in my opinion (honestly even some generic fantasy is better than those titles). Fair on Witch Hat haven't read it just heard good things. Frieren though is very good as a SOL drama of the parts I have read. I will say there were good fantasy titles in the early 2010s like Yona or HxH remake but I just don't think overall it was exceptionally better than now. 

Still I mean if you compare a lot of big epic fantasy works within anime and manga to a lot of equivalent Western works like LOTR, Cosmere Universe (don't think Brandon would do it but his works work well as anime), A Song of Fire and Ice, Wheel of Time etc I mean there is no contest there. Granted I mean I still have yet to read Berserrk but if I want epic fantasy I would just rather read Western writers for something actually good. Maybe I come to anime for the occasional good story or self insert fantasy shlock that you occasoionally need. 

Lucifrost said:
I mean the 2000s did have stuff like GiTS SAC, [font="\"Google Sans\", arial, sans-serif-medium, sans-serif"]Texhnolyze, Eureka Seven, Gankutsuou, Planetes, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (I know controversial especially with Destiny but I remember enjoying it as a kid). Also I didnt realize Ego Prxoy came out in 2006 assumed it was an early 2000s show. 

Still I agree the wheels for the genre were starting to fall off but I think there was more life then than now. I do think though yeah we are starting to see more. We got Pluto for this year. Madhouse has a sci fi drama they are adapting for Summer. Gundam is still going strong. Again it kinda feels more like a return to the early 2000s were we get a few notable sci fi titles every year or so but still nothing on the past in like the 80s when mecha shows were plentiful. [/font]
Berserk, Fate, and Kara no kyoukai are probably the three series that do western style fantasy well from what I can think of anyway.  To me what anime and manga are best at when it comes to fantasy is that they seem to be the only ones who  can consistently do hard magic systems.
Apr 26, 2023 10:01 AM

Feb 2016
DaddyDonovan said:
Berserk, Fate, and Kara no kyoukai are probably the three series that do western style fantasy well from what I can think of anyway.
Fate is based on a video game, which is what we said about video games having good fantasy.
その目だれの目?
Apr 26, 2023 10:36 AM

Apr 2016
Mecha

I can't stand how every Mecha anime nowadays 3D-animates their mechs.

Although Sci-Fi overall seems kinda lackluster today.
Apr 26, 2023 10:40 AM
Mar 2023
Cosmic horror/horror

Well it mostly won't work in Anime format(for me) but some of the Anime that came between 1990-2010's are pretty good
Apr 26, 2023 12:32 PM

Aug 2020
Isikai, the potential at least was huge. THe psychological horror possible, the mind-warping tension possible in a world where physics do not apply, the forceful integration into a new world with contrasting ethical systems would force the main character to challenge his previously held ideals and notions of right vrs wrong. And now, its just power fantasy with harem 1029#. Endless potential, and nothing to show for it.
Apr 26, 2023 2:24 PM
Aug 2020
Lucifrost said:
DaddyDonovan said:
Berserk, Fate, and Kara no kyoukai are probably the three series that do western style fantasy well from what I can think of anyway.
Fate is based on a video game, which is what we said about video games having good fantasy.
thats a pretty good point although I think its up for debate whether or not vns are videogames, anyway Ive read asoif and I think I like berserk around as much so I totally recommend it.
Apr 26, 2023 7:50 PM

Feb 2016
DaddyDonovan said:
Ive read asoif and I think I like berserk around as much
I can't say I disagree. I don't like either of them, however.
その目だれの目?
Apr 26, 2023 10:27 PM

Feb 2016
Probably Sci-fi and Fantasy have fallen off as of recent. 

More topics from this board

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

12 by Karimhi »»
14 minutes ago

» day 100 of watching shonen anime

GDjkhp - Yesterday

14 by Nirinbo »»
20 minutes ago

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - 9 hours ago

14 by Theo1899 »»
32 minutes ago

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - Yesterday

20 by traed »»
32 minutes ago

» How do you feel about the By Any Means Necessary drip jacket?

GinInYourJuice - Yesterday

9 by K-Arlovski »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.