Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2022 10:24 AM

Nov 2011
This episode was rough to watch especially Shinonome 's memories.

Looks like they had to deal with another monster on the loose. However, I find the part about Shinonome more interesting regarding his past. This show seems to be getting heavier on drama now with this episode. He's also a selfless character who goes out his ways to save Yuuhi and taking that fatal blow. Damn.

Aug 5, 2022 11:57 AM
Sep 2015
It makes me wonder what's Hangetsu wish. If it's to reunited with Noko then it's a very risky wish that would accelerate his death (but he's probably already know). Or he wish for a chance to save someone by risking his own life, which also accelerate his death too. He's such a textbook hero! But there are so many missing information, like is his death really irreversible, it seems like I can't make a logic out of this anime at all, but maybe it's supposed to be chaos considering that there's a big f#cking hammer that can smash Earth in one go floating in the sky.
Aug 5, 2022 12:30 PM

Jul 2017
Outside of the "saving the world" mechanics, Amamiya has his life too. but a family-approved date with Samidare, Amamiya is living on 7th Heaven lols. And I almost forgot that her father is the stalker that's stalking them all the way. Being a hardcore fan of her father as an author, plus the coincidental surprise being Samidare's birthday, this is a family celebration of a happy birthday.

Sami's life force built upon the Anima before the Biscuit Hammer strikes Earth, and almost immediately, within the eyes of The Knight that is Hangetsu Shinonome, he'a also accepted by their father for Hisame. What a smooth dad. But Shinonome's Knightly stance is not something created out of birth, but someone raised just like any typical kid, plus a trauma...not the kind of hero of justice's alluding to.

The golem of the week strikes back, and until this point, Amamiya really struggled with defeating them, which Shinonome gives his pep talk as means of encouragement. But with the onslaught of getting hit hard by the golem, the same way that his dog Saw got struck down by an accident, Shinonome becomes the selfless hero to save Amamiya, and the latter's shoulder of responsibility just got added more.

What a way to miss the Knight, Hangetsu Shinonome. You're an interesting character.
Aug 5, 2022 1:19 PM
Oct 2016
Down goes Hangetsu. He didn't hesitate like last time. Hangetsu might've not been completely trustworthy but he did the right thing when it counted most. Hangetsu recognized how much Yuuhi meant to Samidare and that he's the one whom just survive and become stronger. Hangetsu could tell the potential in Yuuhi even in that dream he had. Yuuhi will become someone whom can protect the princess. This episode it's a good job building up Hangetsu one last time before he sacrificed himself. Learning his backstory and motivation about his father and training during childhood. How seeing his beloved dog save that child while he stood still with fear changed how Hangetsu wanted to live. No hesitation anymore after that. He held fast even when facing that tricky golem, Yuuhi needs to get to that level.
Aug 5, 2022 2:12 PM

Mar 2018
Hangetsu's death hurt even more in anime form, especially seeing the blood slowly drain through his body. It is all the more saddening when you realize he might've been able to help Samidare and Yuuhi deal with their defeatist mindset in regards to adulthood. Yet, like any good coming of age story, their lives move on, and the story only gets better from here!
Aug 5, 2022 2:29 PM

Nov 2011
Hows this anime get even worse as we go along? Yuuhi is trash and Sami's reasons for destroying the Earth are dumb as well.

Not to mention the animation in this is LAUGHABLE. When Hangetsu got punched I was laughing so damn hard for how awful it is and yet this anime takes itself so damn serious.

This show is trash and I can't wait for it to continue to burn into the ground.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 5, 2022 3:21 PM

May 2021
The punches and kicks don't even have any weight now. Such a shame. On the other hand, Hangetsu's death was handled somewhat well, with the camera switching to Hisame looking forward to the movie.

Aug 5, 2022 5:31 PM

Jun 2017
What? Is Hangetsu pepsi for real? That was way sooner that I thought it would happen.
Aug 5, 2022 6:24 PM

Feb 2021
Was just me? or did you feel the music to be quite oversaturated at some points?
Fax:
-My english is bad
-I`m very curious
-Peruvians must die
Aug 5, 2022 6:38 PM

Jan 2012
Hmmm...well honestly my initial reason to comment in this thread was gonna only be to note how awful the walking animation for Saw was in the flashback where he/she died, but then Shinonome ups and dies in the same episode we learn about that. Look, I've read the comments, some at least, so I know complaining about the poor animation and whatnot isn't exactly treading new ground at this point, but I do feel compelled to say that this death lacked any real...gut punch reaction from me is the best way to put it I suppose. I'm not a reader of the original source manga, but Shinonome or the dad was gonna die soon I felt, I didn't know which, because the death flag just seemed so obvious. But considering this enemy looked not much different from the other generic golems I wasn't sure it'd be this soon. Plus like I said we literally just learned about his "tragic backstory" earlier in the same episode. Gotta give it some more time to breathe and sink in, I think. But this just lacked all impact. Maybe that's the point though, the minimalist, brutal, stark nature of death. I can at least appreciate it on that level if that was the intent I suppose, but I prefer to actually care in my fantasy deaths personally. Unless it's a horror series or something. This just wasn't doin' it for me. Given how awful this show's reputation is though maybe it landed better in the source manga, I dunno.
animefan8800Aug 5, 2022 6:42 PM
Aug 5, 2022 6:48 PM

Jul 2016
Despite all the hate for this adaption, I didn't think it was that bad. Until this episode. Hangetsu's death was just too anticlimactic. They built up his character so much, promised more interaction between him and the MC, then he just... died. I read the manga a decade ago, and don't remember it all that well, but I remember his death being more significant. They also cut the episode at a horrible point. He's dead, but there was no time to see it set in, no time to see the characters' reactions. By the time the next episode starts, his death will have lost most of its impact.
Aug 5, 2022 8:10 PM

Mar 2008
I can't believe they cut out Ludo's line telling Yuuhi to not trust the Owl Knight! This adaption somehow keeps getting worse and making it really hard to justify why I was so pumped for this adaption.
You Know You Want To Click Them :D
Aug 5, 2022 8:52 PM
Mar 2015
Our hero of justice died just like his dog
Aug 5, 2022 10:32 PM

Jan 2021
The animation is still pretty bad (especially the fights), but I'm surprised that Shinonome's death actually moved me a bit. After all, we've only seen him for a few episodes, and we're just now learning about his backstory. His death was handled rather well, but it's gonna be hard seeing how everyone copes with it, especially Hisame.

I wonder if this will provide proper motivation for Yuuhi to get stronger

Aug 5, 2022 11:30 PM

Oct 2010
rest in peace Hangetsu, he managed to become a hero in the end.
If anyone missed it, Sami said her reason for wanting to destroy the Earth, she is sick and will die shortly after the fight after the spirit of Anima leaves her. And she doesn't wanna die alone, a very pessimistic view but that's Sami for the moment
Aug 6, 2022 1:33 AM

Jun 2009
Wait, they cut out Ludo warning Yuuhi and Noi about the owl? Like, seriously, why the hell would you do that?
Aug 6, 2022 2:19 AM

Jun 2021
Was not expecting to see a drunk lizard today.
Aug 6, 2022 3:02 AM
Apr 2022
Even though the adaptation isn't as faithful to the manga, I could actually feel for Hangetsu. This episode is by far the best. Hangetsu's death hit really hard, despite having him for only a few eps.
Aug 6, 2022 3:04 AM

Apr 2014
WTF! Yuuhi. You're too weak. You think big but you can't do anything but be a burden to your team. And the worst point is you stumbled and lost balance because of that small rock?
何それ?意味分かんない
Aug 6, 2022 5:22 AM
May 2019
I can't even take that scene seriously. That was such a pointless and silly death. Foreshadowing was through the roof. Then the blood and the cough reminded me of clip art animation. This show is disjointed and rough to watch, feels like it's going for shock emotion. I'll finish it but boy howdy is it rougher than I thought.
Aug 6, 2022 6:40 AM
Sep 2020
yeah fuck it I'll go and read the manga instead watching this shit.
koala12345Aug 6, 2022 4:48 PM
Aug 6, 2022 7:29 AM

Oct 2008
omg! that was some unexpected early deaths!
RIP Hangetsu!
3/5.

Aug 6, 2022 9:55 AM

May 2017
worst episode yet... so disappointed in the animation. watching this with my boyfriend, after begging him to read the manga and he kept refusing... he finally caved because this episode was so egregious.

the death was handled so much better in the manga, and even checking out the chapters this episode animated, the manga tells it so much better, and there are these details that the anime completely left out.... if anyone still cares about the story please check out the manga. Even the panel layout makes it a more interesting experience than this 🤢
Aug 6, 2022 12:13 PM

Mar 2018
animefan8800 said:
Hmmm...well honestly my initial reason to comment in this thread was gonna only be to note how awful the walking animation for Saw was in the flashback where he/she died, but then Shinonome ups and dies in the same episode we learn about that. Look, I've read the comments, some at least, so I know complaining about the poor animation and whatnot isn't exactly treading new ground at this point, but I do feel compelled to say that this death lacked any real...gut punch reaction from me is the best way to put it I suppose. I'm not a reader of the original source manga, but Shinonome or the dad was gonna die soon I felt, I didn't know which, because the death flag just seemed so obvious. But considering this enemy looked not much different from the other generic golems I wasn't sure it'd be this soon. Plus like I said we literally just learned about his "tragic backstory" earlier in the same episode. Gotta give it some more time to breathe and sink in, I think. But this just lacked all impact. Maybe that's the point though, the minimalist, brutal, stark nature of death. I can at least appreciate it on that level if that was the intent I suppose, but I prefer to actually care in my fantasy deaths personally. Unless it's a horror series or something. This just wasn't doin' it for me. Given how awful this show's reputation is though maybe it landed better in the source manga, I dunno.

To me, the purpose of Hangetsu's death is to show the death of Yuuhi's selfish disposition. You'll see more of why his death is so well utilized in the story later on, especially in regards to how it impacts the goals of our protagonists.
Aug 6, 2022 12:15 PM

Mar 2018
Jumoji said:
I can't believe they cut out Ludo's line telling Yuuhi to not trust the Owl Knight! This adaption somehow keeps getting worse and making it really hard to justify why I was so pumped for this adaption.

I know right!! They also cut out the Crow Knight's smile scene earlier on! Though these aren't too important, they build up interest for the future of what the story will bring past the Hangetsu death scene.
Aug 7, 2022 8:04 AM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
With Hangetsu officially died, my faith for this anime has perished completely.

Wasted Potential of The Year. Just read the manga, it probably 100x better than this crap.
Aug 7, 2022 8:22 AM
Aug 2017
Bruh, how can he just die like that? What about using his power to break the enemy's attack? Or make a defensive/counter move when rushing towards the main protag?
Aug 7, 2022 9:30 AM

Jan 2013
The backstory with the dog was really sad and Hangetsu’s death was graphic with all the blood. I honestly don’t remember that much blood in the manga.
Aug 7, 2022 10:15 PM

Jan 2020
They did Hangetsu dirty, killing him off before that date.

Otherwise, I really wasn't expecting him to die so quickly. I guess that goes to show that this story isn't messing around. In the back of my mind I was even kind of thinking that all of Samidare's talk about destroying the world and dying young was going to be bullshit. Now I have to wonder if that "death pact" is for serious.

Either way, aside from the rough-as-always fighting animations, it was a pretty interesting episode. "Now Hangetsu's is yours," was his wish to transfer his power to Yuuhi? It's hard to tell whether this was meant as something metaphorical or not, but I guess Hangetsu used his wish for Yuuhi's sake.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Aug 9, 2022 12:23 AM

Nov 2012
That red flag speedrun was crazy, why Shinonome?

My Candies:

Aug 9, 2022 2:15 PM
Sep 2021
I did not expect, can't wait for the next chapter
Aug 9, 2022 10:11 PM

May 2019
This is easily the best episode so far but it's also translated awfully into the animated form. The dog is barely animated is just hilarious to look at. They just killed off one of the best character this early and I also don't really like why he is the one that must die, maybe for necessary plot device for Yuuhi's growth. The death scene really fells flat given Hangetsu only appear for few chapters only. Oh just like the previous comments state, they just cut off the necessary clue of Owl knight which is really a bad decision to do. Kinda deserving this low of a score.

Aug 10, 2022 8:01 AM
Oct 2021
Lol the foreshadowing is really strong in this episode. I could smell the impending ending for the episode from a mile away
Aug 10, 2022 11:49 AM

Aug 2010
Why do these characters keep acting like a 20 yr-old is not an adult?

Why are any of these people ok that a 20 yr-old wants to be with a 16 yr-old
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Aug 11, 2022 10:57 AM

May 2009
Dog animation and style had no cohesion.
I cried how badly Hangetsu's death was portrayed in anime.
Aug 12, 2022 10:12 AM

May 2020
Would've been the best episode yet if the visuals were atleast half decent, but hey no point in wanting something you know you won't get.

Good guys always leave first, will miss Hangetsu.
Aug 26, 2022 7:57 PM

Dec 2013
RIP Hangetsu. He will be missed.
Sep 3, 2022 1:39 AM
Nov 2012
Hard breakup, just like in manga!
Sep 18, 2022 7:36 AM

Dec 2016
I really don't like this MC anymore. It's disappointing how Shinonome had to die because of this MC being a pathetic burden. The way the mc sent the princess away I feel like he might have done it intentionally since he already said that he wanted to get rid of Shinonome cuz he could be a threat to their plan.

If they were gonna do this to Shinonome then they could at least let this incident happen after his date with Hisame.
Sep 26, 2022 1:57 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Okay but did y'all see that dog (Saw) walking?? MY SIDES! Hahahaha!

But yeah man, wtf? I was like just getting used to the dude's presence. Just gonna kill him off like that? This is episode 5! Like what--

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 27, 2022 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
Damn they really killed this series best character after he just scored a date, rip Hangetsu.

Mar 24, 2023 12:29 AM

Feb 2021
Wait... The dog warrior is dead?!
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 28, 5:16 PM

Jan 2016
Damn
our MC looks 200x worse than how bad he already looked
This dirtbag wants to destroy the planet and is getting scared over nothing and freaking out because a single person is dead/dying, get out of here
It's sad he died, he was kind of cool. I guess he was overpowered for the show compared to other two so had to nerf.

edit: the dog walking was definitely a big thing for me too LOL
LilyVarbikMar 28, 5:20 PM

May 25, 3:30 AM

Jun 2022
Man , Now That's Heavy

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2022

48 by RGreatDanton »»
May 25, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2022

30 by RGreatDanton »»
May 25, 3:14 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2022

39 by RGreatDanton »»
May 24, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2022

53 by RGreatDanton »»
May 24, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2022

146 by RGreatDanton »»
May 24, 10:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.