Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 8, 2022 10:45 AM

Nov 2011
Pretty entertaining episode imo. We got action, power moves, and a colorful cast with personalities. I'm not a fan of the animation quality yet but the storytelling has my engaged.

Two noticable characters in this so far includes Yuuhi and Samidare introduced in this episode. Yuuhi has a lot of guts for jumping after Samidare after she fell. Good start imo and I really like the overall character chemistry presented in this episode. High hopes for rest of the season!

Jul 2017
The 2nd of Satoshi Mizukami's works since J.C.Staff's Planet With in Summer 2018, and this work is his first few completed mid-2000s series of works.

The talking lizard that is Sir Neu Crescent, and the human that is Yuuhi Amamiya. The lizard talking some insane plot "to save the princess and the world and all", and Amamiya being the chosen one to defend Earth from enemies. How would you expect a college student like Amamiya to understand what's going on, that is until the "princess" in question comes up: Samidare Asahina, his neighbour next door. Plus the ring that activates a Holding Field...omitting those panty shots ARE A SIN.

Trying to constantly throw this lizard doesn't help, much less the weird-looking monsters. And lo and behold, his homeroom teacher is Samidare's older sister Hisame, of all people. The enemy: the famed Biscuit Hammer...that the lizard knight Amamiya feels small to handle such a huge catastrophe. But with the Princess around, Amamiya need not bear this burden alone, and thus sets the stage between Lucifer, the Lizard Knight and the Biscuit Hammer.

Sadly, NAZ's production values with Jumondo's co-production (the same studio that brought you last season's Kono Healer, Mendokusai)...compared to Planet With, it feels less animated and produced at a "low budget" where things look barely acceptable.

So much for one of my anticipated shows of the season, drowning in mediocre production values.
KANLen09Jul 9, 2022 12:24 AM

May 2020
The worst nightmare… waking up and finding a big ass lizard staring at you, like any person would jump off their bed. And moreover if it’s talking bs like saving the planet and have a really weird name, you just know things aren’t right lol. Can’t blame Yuuhi for his actions. Though he still believed everything in the end given the princess, Sami herself showed the things she’s capable of. Y’all bow down to the mere presence of her, the being who says she’ll destroy this very earth with her own two fists.

A good first episode but again they omitted the panty scenes, for I don't know what reason, and as suspected by everyone, animation is going to be the biggest problem going forward, already making its presence felt in the very first episode. Still looking forward to it.
Jul 8, 2022 12:25 PM

Mar 2021
It feels really weird. The art style looks dull, The animation feels like a PowerPoint slideshow. I only enjoyed their dialogues. It's really a sad thing, this adaptation is badly screwed.
Jul 8, 2022 12:28 PM
May 2021
Good episode the characters are likable so far I haven't read the manga yet I was actually waiting for the adaptation but looks like the animation is not that good I guess I have to read the manga now to see the adaptation is faithful or not.

Ok I just read the first 2 chapters that were adapted for this episode and now I can easily say that this adaptation is below average.Now the anime adaption looks childish.
Milan-5Jul 9, 2022 10:23 AM
Jul 8, 2022 12:29 PM

Oct 2017
Bad animation with bland visuals and background, just great. The only good thing about this adaptation is the stacked voice cast.
Jul 8, 2022 12:32 PM

Jul 2017
It's nice to see one of Satoshi Mizukami's big works finally be animated besides Planet With, but the production left a lot to be desired in my opinion. The voice acting for some of the characters like Yuuhi and Noi, the mediocre/forgettable music, the stiff, PowerPoint-level animation and overly bright and ugly lighting combined delivers a poor package as a whole. Everything about it feels way too cheap, sluggish, dull and unpolished, which this series doesn't deserve with its adaptation. Particularly when the manga despite its artstyle manages to exude a lot of creativity and energy, which this episode really lacked. The flow of the episode felt really awkward too because of it and punchlines that could have been a lot more intense or fascinating like the cliffhanger feel... weak imo.

This isn't the worst show ever but I really wished for better than these levels when I heard this manga was being adapted out of nowhere. It's a real shame. The dialogue/content isn't bad despite some parts being cut among the first 2 chapters (hell, there is a reason why the manga is good) but the anime doesn't deliver them well enough to make it effective or fun whatsoever. Hope for any kind of improvements over the next few episodes since this feels like the opposite of a passion project in every way. Just doing the bare minimum to call it an anime adaptation but not enough effort whatsoever to actually turn it to a good/fun one. Not too impressed or happy about this so far.
animejasJul 8, 2022 12:47 PM
Jul 8, 2022 12:33 PM

Jun 2015
Bottom of the barrel.
Jul 8, 2022 1:03 PM

Jun 2013
Bad animation but at least it's funny
Jul 8, 2022 1:07 PM

May 2015
I only made it a few minutes into the episode before I quit. Not even gonna bother putting it on my list. If I hear it improves later on I might pick it back up again, but this is a disgrace to one of the best manga I’ve ever read, and one of my favorite authors.

Jul 8, 2022 1:18 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I barely remember anything from this manga with how long it's been but I do recall I enjoyed it well enough. This felt.. okay, but a bit off in terms of production value
Jul 8, 2022 1:27 PM

Feb 2019
yeah this is cheap as expected. The action scene was embarrassingly awful in an episode that was already making a strong case for being the least animated of the season. The production here is quite horrendous, and I can't imagine what it'll be like once the new series gleam wears off in an episode or two. Possibly just power point slides.
It's hard to imagine the huge disappointment of any fan who waited years for this series after seeing many uninteresting projects that had splendid adaptations with enviable animation like kimetsu or jujutsu and then you see how their manga receives this anime crap. Even romcoms have better projects, but surely someone will object and think that animating a naked blonde's boobs is fine, but not an action scene from an emblematic manga
Jul 8, 2022 1:28 PM

Jan 2016
Shame about the animation being quite shit, but I think it will still be a good series.
Mar 2011
There's literally no point watching this. Just read the manga instead. Possibly one of the worst adaptations ever.

Apr 2020
The dialogue carried this for me. The Animation was all over the place, inconsistent, and sometimes goes blurry like they forgot to quality check it. But the script did a great job not taking the threat too seriously with the banter, comic relief, line delivery timing, and sequence of events making this entire episode entertaining.
Kudos to the writing and directing team. I'll still keep my low expectation for now, mostly due to how messy the animation has been in its 1st episode but, I hope the writing and directing remain the same for the rest of the series.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
Jul 8, 2022 1:38 PM

Feb 2011
The animation is not top-notch but the pacing is just right and the characters are likable ( especially Yuuhi, lol): I really enjoy this anime so far it did have a good start. :)
Jul 8, 2022 1:39 PM
Aug 2013
I don’t know why always great mangas get bad adaptations while many garbage novels/mangas get higher quality adaptations!

I waited years and this is what we are getting lol … definitely feels like a PowerPoint.

Anyways I am sticking around for the plot only

I agree with everyone that the pacing is good … at least they did something right
Jul 8, 2022 1:47 PM
Oct 2020
I’m not sure how this anime will go, but Enoki Junya as Yuuhi Amamiya is perfect! Everytime this guy talked, it was hilarious!
Jul 8, 2022 2:03 PM

Mar 2019
I definitely nothing interesting to watch in the season, I will go to hibernate for 3 months when they release new animes.
Jul 8, 2022 2:07 PM
Aug 2020
Mizukami himself is involved in series composition. I think that is the reason pacing is good. But that is the only good thing at least for me.
Jul 8, 2022 2:11 PM
Dec 2020
that golem scared the shit out of me when it came so close to the screen, also don't know how but the animation is really bad
Jul 8, 2022 2:23 PM

Dec 2010
No way Mizukami-sensei isn't cursed. His works are some of the best the medium has to offer, yet his works are never adapted to anime, and now that one does, it's this trainwreck.
The animation was closer to a powerpoint presentation than actual animation. For some reason they cranked the brightness all the way up, as if to intentionally hurt the viewers' eyes, and some scenes are just awfully blurry for no reason. It's as if I was watching a below average mid-00s anime.
For some reason they also felt the need to remove the 2 comedic pantyshot scenes. The one with Samidare was changed to some stupid Kansai dialect joke. Someone on the production seems to be forgetting that this shit airs at 2:00AM in the dead of night.

I'm glad I'm not a reader of the source material, as I would probably be contemplating suicide right about now.
Jul 8, 2022 2:33 PM
Feb 2021
ONLY PROBLEM IS THEY SKIPPED THE PANTY SHOTS*_*
BarbecuesauceJul 8, 2022 3:17 PM
Jul 8, 2022 2:59 PM

Jan 2009
damn power point slideshow i might just read the manga instead
Jul 8, 2022 3:30 PM
Mar 2021
Barbecuesauce said:
ONLY PROBLEM IS THEY SKIPPED THE PANTY SHOTS*_*

Even the creator mentioned this on twitter
Jul 8, 2022 3:50 PM
Oct 2016
The craziest premiere I've seen in some time! Absolutely weird as hell in every way possible while still completely badass. Yuuhi is quite the reluctant protagonist not wanting any part of anything going on. I suppose when a weird talking lizard shows up and says you're A knight meant to protect the world a person gets sent to a place of pure shock and refusal. A huge Wtf moment if I've ever seen one. Yuuhi wanting no part of anything the lizard is selling made me laugh every time. Like man I just want to live my normal existence not right crazy monsters and save the world. Yuuhi seems really down to earth though, a very practical and human written protagonist. First thing he thinks when getting that power ring is how much can I sell this for, who couldn't relate to that. The antics of the episode becoming confounded when Samidare enters the picture. Talk about a firecracker she's crazy, the devil princess for sure fits her. She did handle that golem pretty well but the crazy trust fall at the end of the episode was wild. The animation didn't look terrible necessarily but not great either. I'm definitely hooked for this wild ride with the lizard knight.
Jul 8, 2022 3:52 PM
Oct 2016
DarkDooM2 said:
No way Mizukami-sensei isn't cursed. His works are some of the best the medium has to offer, yet his works are never adapted to anime, and now that one does, it's this trainwreck.
The animation was closer to a powerpoint presentation than actual animation. For some reason they cranked the brightness all the way up, as if to intentionally hurt the viewers' eyes, and some scenes are just awfully blurry for no reason. It's as if I was watching a below average mid-00s anime.
For some reason they also felt the need to remove the 2 comedic pantyshot scenes. The one with Samidare was changed to some stupid Kansai dialect joke. Someone on the production seems to be forgetting that this shit airs at 2:00AM in the dead of night.

I'm glad I'm not a reader of the source material, as I would probably be contemplating suicide right about now.

The animation didn't look bad at all
Jul 8, 2022 3:52 PM
Oct 2016

VanishingKira said:
This is rumored to be 2 cour, so yep dropped.

That's good news not bad 😂😂
Jul 8, 2022 3:53 PM
Oct 2016
Unowen said:
Bottom of the barrel.

Infinitely worse looking shows that this. Y'all are such whiners 😂😂
Jul 8, 2022 3:57 PM

Jan 2020
This showed up earlier than I expected. I almost didn't commit to this after seeing all the complaints about the animation though. And, yeah, it is far from good, especially considering it's 2022. But, at least the humor and writing seem to be up my alley. So that's enough for me.

"The lizard died. It became a ghost and started to haunt me." Amazing.

There were definitely a lot of moments that I found humorous, and the story seems interesting and unique. So seeing as I've already watched the first episode, I guess I'll stick with it. If nothing else, I will probably add this manga to my plan to read list. Then, even if the adaptation ends up leaving much to be desired, I know I'll have found a pretty interesting read.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 8, 2022 3:58 PM

Sep 2021
Really interesting episode ngl, and for me the animation isnt that bad as people say, It isnt far for be even good, but I would say Is as decent as the otome game last season and It wasnt a bad anime. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 8, 2022 4:00 PM

May 2015
Dukino said:
Unowen said:
Bottom of the barrel.

Man if you were a manga reader, you would not be saying this lol.

Jul 8, 2022 4:03 PM
Apr 2016
I am pleasantly surprised, it doesn't look good but from the trailer I expected a lot worse. Satoshi is such a strong character and story writer that the quality still shines through the below mediocre production quality. I just hope they won't rush the story but if they keep at it like this it should be fine, the pacing of episode 1 was quite solid. If this becomes more of a succes than planet with, even though I believe that anime to be quite brilliant, it might just lead to a second season or even a siprit circle adaptation.
Jul 8, 2022 4:05 PM
Jul 2016
Sad it’s outsourced to Jumondo since NAZ was with busy with Bisco but still gonna give it a chance.
Jul 8, 2022 4:06 PM
Aug 2019
Animation is perfectly fine to me and enjoying it overall. Actually thought animation was good
Jul 8, 2022 4:07 PM
Apr 2016
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Dukino said:

Man if you were a manga reader, you would not be saying this lol.

I read the manga, loved it, and still agree with Dukino somewhat. I think it's a shame that arguably Satoshi's most accessible work gets an adaptation looking like this but also it's not bad to the point where it is hindering the story quality for me, atleast not yet. It deserves the highest quality adaptation out there for sure. But seeing how long Satoshi has been trying to get it adapted and with the not so successful planet with (even though it is very good), I am happy it is even getting an adaptation at all.
Jul 8, 2022 4:07 PM
Jul 2016
unnamedhuman said:
I am pleasantly surprised, it doesn't look good but from the trailer I expected a lot worse. Satoshi is such a strong character and story writer that the quality still shines through the below mediocre production quality. I just hope they won't rush the story but if they keep at it like this it should be fine, the pacing of episode 1 was quite solid. If this becomes more of a succes than planet with, even though I believe that anime to be quite brilliant, it might just lead to a second season or even a siprit circle adaptation.

He’s involved with it as the main series writer so he supervises it.
Jul 8, 2022 4:08 PM
Aug 2019
Dukino said:
Unowen said:
Bottom of the barrel.

This is actually pretty good, people are tripping about animation too
Jul 8, 2022 4:23 PM

Jan 2011
wth yes, animation isn't perfect and some slideshow, but considering how niche this manga is, I am so thrilled it got animated (also the manga ended a while ago). so stop with the whining ffs, the pacing on the 1st episode was good, and that's all that matters tbh
Jul 8, 2022 4:25 PM

Mar 2020
As an anime-only watcher, the production value made it kinda weird to look at, but with the craziness of the plot, I can tolerate the poor animation, it's not bad to the point where it's unwatchable. Real shame though, with the praise I saw from manga readers of this.
Jul 8, 2022 4:33 PM
Apr 2016
todd2580 said:
unnamedhuman said:

He’s involved with it as the main series writer so he supervises it.

I am aware, good thing he is.
Jul 8, 2022 4:34 PM
Apr 2016
Galarn said:
wth yes, animation isn't perfect and some slideshow, but considering how niche this manga is, I am so thrilled it got animated (also the manga ended a while ago). so stop with the whining ffs, the pacing on the 1st episode was good, and that's all that matters tbh

I Agree with that.
Jul 8, 2022 4:44 PM

Aug 2020
Looks pretty mid to me. I'll watch until ep 3 and decide whether to continue this show. The lizard probably is the most interesting character in this episode lmao

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 8, 2022 4:49 PM
Jun 2013
Man, is so sad that people let themselves be way too influenced by "animation", yes, the animation is super cheap looking, its a fact, but the art is consistent and the story and characters were so entertaining, this was legit a good 1st episode and even with the cheap animation the final part with the speech was GREAT! And seems like is going to be 2 cour, so the adaptation is probably going to be fine storywise.

That's one of the biggest problems with the anime community today, being too much of a sakuga bitch, put some flashy animation in this episode and it would be people left and right praising as the possible AOTS, put some mediocre animation and is suddenly a unwatchable thing, case in point is the abomination that was God of Highschool still having a 7 score here just because of the animation.
Shinuki_n_RebornJul 8, 2022 4:53 PM
Jul 8, 2022 4:55 PM

Jul 2021
Yeah fuck it I'm dropping this, how can they ruin a classic this badly????
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 8, 2022 5:03 PM

Oct 2007
OP was pretty decent, VAs sound really good so far. the pacing is good and only felt a tiny bit rushed towards the end of the episode. the complete removal of fanservice elements was a little bit odd since they were a far cry from the level of ecchi stuff that makes it into modern anime, and in the source theyre really only a source of comedy moreso than actual fanservice. the animation.... well as i was watching it i definitely didnt feel blown away and i can see a ton of places it could have been better, but i dont think its QUITE as bad as others are making it out to be here. its definitely not GREAT, but I don't think it will ruin enjoyment of the series as a whole unless it dives lower than this. as others have said its my sincere hope that this series sees success and it leads to other satoshi works getting an anime as well. While I also am very fond of spirit circle, i still think I'd have to put sengoku youko at the top of my hopes for an animation. if we could get that story with the level of quality we saw in a series like Dororo, I could die happy.
Jul 8, 2022 5:03 PM
Oct 2014
Okay Totally Obsessed The Art Style Really Reminds Me Of Erased Mixed In With The Slightest Bit Of Digimon , I Love That Within Like 2 Minuets We Get A Talking Lizard Knight Spewing All This Stuff About Needing Yuuhi's Help To Save The World. I Will Most Definitely Be Watching This Nextweek
Jul 8, 2022 5:22 PM

Jun 2017
Very silly premise and the twist at the end was absolutely genius. I am in folks.
Jul 8, 2022 5:27 PM

Jan 2008
Animation was passable... until the fight scene. Rather ironic. Usually there's a animation quality spike during fight scenes but for this show it's almost as if it did the complete reverse and took a dip then reverted back once it went back into exposition mode.

Something else felt off, maybe its the directing or maybe it's just because it's an older series the way the story unfolded felt how would I say, dated?

Well, I can't say I have the highest hopes.

They also removed all the panty shots.
Jul 8, 2022 6:27 PM

Feb 2020
The animation isn't great but it's passable. I also miss the pantyshots but I think that they removed it because it was already established that Yuuhi is slightly H, due to the scene with the teacher. The story and characters from the manga are great, and it seems to me that they're trying to keep it faithful, so... ...I guess that I'll wait and see.

So overall the first episode was fairly watchable.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 24 Discussion

Catalano - Dec 23, 2022

48 by LilyVarbik »»
Apr 1, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2022

19 by LilyVarbik »»
Mar 31, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2022

20 by LilyVarbik »»
Mar 31, 3:35 PM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2022

14 by LilyVarbik »»
Mar 31, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2022

13 by LilyVarbik »»
Mar 31, 11:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.