Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2020 1:26 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this episode felt like Truman Show with how everyone is toying with Edamura. alright, faking Abby's, Cynthia's and his dad's death, but tf was leader lady warming up for him, even spoon-feeding like a child lol. very odd

anyways, a bit unexpected that it dives in Laurent's backstory right away. thought that they'd finish this case first, but i guess it involves Edamura's dad somehow
Sep 23, 2020 8:07 AM

Oct 2017
Finally time for Laurent's backstory and wow the first thing we see is him stabbing Dorothy. Ain't she the girl who was his fiancee or was he conned by her. Welp guess I'll find out soon.
Sep 24, 2020 2:03 PM

Jan 2009
his father is still alive so i guess Abby and Cynthia are still alive too obviously

and we are getting a back story for Laurent finally huh and that is Dorothy huh the lover of Laurent?
Sep 25, 2020 1:55 AM

Dec 2016
Abby and Cynthia were most probably faking death but looking at Edamura's reaction feels so bad. They keep playing with his emotions...

Ohh so that's how Laurent met Dorothy..?
Sep 25, 2020 10:51 AM

Dec 2015
I guess Laurent also knew the father ... and they had wanted to turn Edamura into the son of the mafia boss old lady.

So they completeley fooled him ... again.

With a fake weapon (only color as blood) and the father tipping the others off. And he probably knew that such guys usually get executed in the sea on a boat. (Could have went wrong if they suddenly decided on another location.)

Interesting to see Laurent's back story now after all. First thought the thing would be about Edamura only - though last episode of previous arc hinted at Laurent. (Who didn't get a character arc so far.)
Sep 27, 2020 11:40 PM

Oct 2016
Damn, it's impossible for them to die. But, the way they execute it is really really good. Call it predictable but, I'd say it's brilliant.

Seeing Makoto broken is sad as fuck though, and wow I am assuming that Makoto's father knows Laurent then.

Laurent's mother got scammed and Laurent tried to murder the one who scammed them. Then inadvertently stabbing Dorothy, and that's how I met your mother kids.
Sep 30, 2020 4:50 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
uninstallthegame said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this episode felt like Truman Show with how everyone is toying with Edamura. alright, faking Abby's, Cynthia's and his dad's death, but tf was leader lady warming up for him, even spoon-feeding like a child lol. very odd

anyways, a bit unexpected that it dives in Laurent's backstory right away. thought that they'd finish this case first, but i guess it involves Edamura's dad somehow

Yeah I was enjoying this series until the mafia lady started acting like weird, she knows Edamura is in coots with the con artist yet so forgiving had me rasing my eyebrows cuz it made no sense she acts like a big bad mafia boss lady but then has a soft side for Edamura who she only met recently

Oct 4, 2020 4:13 AM

Jun 2013
Knowing how this series operates, I'm not surprised Oz is still alive. I'm sure Abbie and Cynthia are also alive.

The last part with a peek into Laurent's past was unexpected. I wonder why Oz is mentioning Laurent's past out of all people.
臭い-
Oct 4, 2020 11:02 AM

Apr 2020
Damn new something was up when everyone just got shot. at this point Edamura's just used to the surprises.
Good to see a bit of Laurent's backstory and where it's going seems pretty interesting. Seems like Laurent is involved wit Edamura's father some how.
This arc is definitely taking a an interesting turn.

Solid episode.
Oct 5, 2020 2:47 AM

Oct 2009
I mean it was painfully obvious this was all part of the plan at this point, rinse and repeat.

Laurent's backstory is interesting though!
Oct 9, 2020 9:14 AM

Dec 2015
Didn't really liked this episode. It's definitely obvious that no one died there, but the main issue of this scene is that it's a overused formula being used again. Even with no "shocking plot twist moment" (because at least the showrunners knew no one had believed they died), just the fact they are building the arc around faking deaths is poor writing.

But then, it shows 2 months had passed, which pushes the suspension of disbelief to it's limits. And after we have a really poor timed flashback from Laurent, which I couldn't get invested considering I have other questions in mind (I know the flashback will most likely be important to answer every question, but the way of introducing it wasn't engaging).
Oct 12, 2020 1:54 PM
Nov 2018
Bruh makoto’s dad or oz was part of the con man group!!! These reveals in case 4 have been stellar!!! Laurent is the only missing backstory so can’t wait to see where this goes
Oct 13, 2020 10:59 AM

Jul 2017
The Truman Edamame Show has only just begun: the Japanese mafia's extermination of Cynthia and Abby, and his dad as the Shanghai mafia's proposition for use against the former son. Knowing Cynthia and Abby's staged performance fully well, but with Oz, that was unsurprising (given the overlying circumstances). But knowing Edamura, he's got to cope with the pressure somehow.

To think that his dad would offer Edamura Laurent's backstory, I'd guess is to show how much he and Laurent have in commin with ridden family backgrounds, and have come to do the one and only thing: grow up to get their "justice" served.

The shock factor pretty much non-existent once you understand how this show works at this point, pretty tame with all the deaths, but more secrets in store to come.
Oct 16, 2020 7:52 AM
Apr 2016
The thought of it ALL being staged crossed my mind, but... Great to see more about Laurent!
Oct 17, 2020 2:18 PM

Feb 2017
This of was an emotional rollercoaster. Give Edamura a break.
Nov 5, 2020 5:32 AM

Jul 2020
Laurent’s backstory is the only interesting part in this episode.

That staged death were plain obvious. Same formula in almost every arc lmao.
Nov 14, 2020 9:34 PM

Oct 2008
Edamame's dad being part of Laurent's group was no surprise to me. The second his dad betray him I already expected that this was somehow part of Laurent's plot. Laurent pulled off similar deception on Edamame before.

But what should be noted in this episode is that how Edamame's character became corrupted. Brainwashed/Decieved or not he seems to have gone vile that he doesn't even mind doing dark mafia dealings anymore and even unfazed that he's trafficking kids to the point that he can't be considered a good guy even for brief moment...

I think what Laurent and Ozaki pulled off this time might be a little bit too much, to cause for Edamame to break down and even corrupting him... poor lad.
jestynNov 14, 2020 9:40 PM
Nov 29, 2020 12:19 PM
Sep 2007
It was really depressing to watch Edamura being broken so much he becomes his own antithesis. I really hope that Abby and Cythia weren't killed for real, but seeing Edamura's reaction, I can't be so sure. Especially when he already saw Abby faking her death before... It looks like he really gave up this time.

And we've seen Laurent past. Poor guy. His dyslectic mother got scammed and died in debt. That's why you should never sign anything without reading. Or asking a trusted person (like family member) to read it for you if you yourself can't. Too bad that he failed on his revenge and wounded seemingly innocent bystander... who turns out to be Dorothy. And the con artists' adventure begins...

Edamura's dad in Laurent's group? It looks like recruiting Edamura was a part of some kind of bigger plan that's yet to be seen...
Dec 7, 2020 12:59 PM

Jul 2017
This was a weird one. Not surprised at all that Makoto's dad was playing 5D chess shit and seemingly is linked strongly with Laurent since he does talk about Laurent's past with Makoto when they met at Makoto's place, months after Makoto was forced to 'pull the trigger' on him as his dad 'shot Abby and Cynthia' before. It is interesting though, although I felt bad for Laurent's mother, poor soul got scammed of her life savings so easily despite her dyslexic and mental health problems and passed away on her son soon after that too, all so that she could take care of her son's future (even if she was a bit gullible).

I've enjoyed the Great Pretender rewatch a lot after disliking it the first time, but one thing I'm not a fan of with this watch too is how much Makoto is forced and tricked into thinking his life was fucked as it all turns out to be ploys. From the stuff with his father being shot and Abigail and Cynthia here, to him thinking Laurent and Abigail were dead in the first case in LA by being shot by Cynthia and the FBI group, and much more. The writers are relying too much on playing him like a fiddle as its all used as ploys for eventual success of their missions and a part of it feels lazy as well. Still, it didn't detract too much from the case itself since I do like it still.
Dec 10, 2020 5:39 AM

Apr 2020
Wait, isn't Edamura's father dead? but he suddenly was in front of Edamura's house

And it looks like Laurent's past is bad
Dec 27, 2020 3:40 AM
Aug 2019
So Makoto's dad counts as special agent then
Jan 8, 2021 10:01 PM

Jul 2016
And yep, Laurent was behind everything once again. Makoto's father isn't a total scumbag and both Cynthia and Abby are most likely alive and still kicking. Dumb of me for thinking for one second this series would actually change its formula.
Jan 14, 2021 8:05 PM

Mar 2015
Whoaaaa that was a crazy episode right there!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 27, 2021 1:39 AM

Aug 2015
Makoto's dad and Laurent have a connected past? That's why Laurent keeps inserting himself into Makoto's life? Daaaaaamn. Poor baby Laurent is adorable and young Laurent is beautiful, bless. Makoto the perpetually in-the-dark lad is once again being dragged around.

It's interesting how they got an actual Mandarin voice actor for Laurent while Makoto's VA just had to do the best he could (which is basically unintelligible), despite the fact he's supposed to be a decent translator in the show. I guess Laurent is actually just frighteningly fluent in Mandarin in-universe. It's extra entertaining when some of the Chinese extras he comes across just have Japanese VAs trying their best :')

Thank goodness the Shanghai boss and his 2nd in command have actual Mandarin voice actors. It would have been really rough listening to them converse if they didn't. I'm equally glad Cynthia has an actual English voice actress.

I guess dubbing a multilingual show effectively is pretty difficult. To be fair, Western shows fuck up Asian languages way more often. I wonder if there's much of a market for voice actors who are actually fluent in multiple languages?
whitherJan 27, 2021 9:36 PM
Jan 27, 2021 11:58 AM

Aug 2018
Interesting so Edamame father works with Laurent and we finaly got to see Laurents past, but what kind of plan will they do to stop Chinese and Japanese gangs
Feb 20, 2021 9:24 AM

Aug 2017
I wasn't fooled by that plan anyway lol. Looks like Edamura's dad has something to do with Laurent's backstory if im correct. I didn't expect that.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 12, 2021 1:51 PM

Aug 2013
Pseudo-deaths in a second time already, author and director are clearly retarded if can't even hold a pseudo-suspense more than a half of episode for super naïve people which believe in such crap twice for one anime.

Everyone is a sad boy here with mothers which dying from stress exclusively if it's not bomb dropped from F22. Most random backstories ever.
LawgunMar 12, 2021 1:59 PM
Mar 14, 2021 12:36 PM

Mar 2010
Shits all over da map but things are getting to the bigger picture.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 28, 2021 4:25 AM
Jul 2018
We get to learn more about Laurent's past in this arc. Nice!
Jun 25, 2021 3:17 PM

Sep 2017
Lol it does feel a little like the Truman show for poor Edamura here. How many layers are there gonna be to this arc.
Jul 7, 2021 5:53 PM

Apr 2018
I can't believe that Edumame just went along with that old bag.. his selling kids now and what more.. He's probably faking it (hopefully). Pretty sure Abbie and Cynthia are alive cause even his father is alive lol.

We got some backstory on Laurent, AND HE'S FROM BELGIUM! So happy to know that. Anyway, pretty sad backstory tho. Scammed his mother cause she couldn't read. And now he's taking revenge but failed.
And he said Doronthy multiple times in the previous episodes, she's special for sure.
The necklace is also from her.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 8, 2021 12:27 AM

Jul 2015
Obvious and kinda repetetive how they used the same paint gun trick as in the first case. I find it weird how the human traffickers don't try to get the one billion back for Abbie and also the sudden trust in Edamame (even if he 'shot' his own dad) when he changed quick from trying to free the kids to suddenly help sell them. Also weird how when the dad was going to explain things they suddenly diverted to tell Laurent's unfortunate past.

Aug 20, 2021 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
Unkrowned said:
Obvious and kinda repetetive how they used the same paint gun trick as in the first case. I find it weird how the human traffickers don't try to get the one billion back for Abbie and also the sudden trust in Edamame (even if he 'shot' his own dad) when he changed quick from trying to free the kids to suddenly help sell them. Also weird how when the dad was going to explain things they suddenly diverted to tell Laurent's unfortunate past.

adding here: It's need to mention at how weird the death of Laurent's mother, I mean, she just faints, out of nowhere........................... and suddenly, she's dead .-.
Sep 4, 2022 10:37 PM

May 2021
meu deus, a crescente absurda cada ep um melhor que o outro, o passdo do Laurent é divertido e triste ao mesmo tempo.
Oct 7, 2022 10:34 PM
Aug 2020
Why does everything seen to be going wrong for everybody?? What happened in that time skip of 2 months? Why is Makoto working for the japanese mafia now? Several questions were raised in this episode! Let's head for the next one and hope for answers!!
Oct 15, 2022 3:06 PM
Apr 2021
no spoilers but.... WOW
Jan 24, 2023 2:38 PM

Jan 2011
this is the first arc that i am not enjoying but i welcome the Laurent backstory
Mar 13, 2023 9:46 PM
Feb 2022
I don't believe it! It must be a con.
Jun 29, 2023 8:14 AM

Jul 2016
Being in the middle of the ocean made it slightly more convincing, but they're not fooling me with Abi and Cynthia.

It sure is impactful when you see genuine shock in someone like Laurent.
Oct 7, 2023 11:27 AM

Sep 2020
Wtf was this episode. Edamura really pisses me off.
Dec 4, 2023 7:40 AM

Nov 2023
Well, this was a very interesting and fun episode!
May 23, 1:03 AM

Mar 2013
I felt sad knowing the girls were dad but after seeing MC's dad alive, ofc they would be too. I'm wondering how his dad survived.
I'm getting tired of everyone making a fool of MC everytime. Is it really that fun to see him in anguish? Hate it tbh.
Jun 16, 1:47 AM

Nov 2022
Laurent’s dead fish eyes around the end.. chills bro 😃
Jun 26, 10:24 AM

Oct 2012
What an absolutely bizarre episode, very weird that the head child slave trader would treat anyone with such affection.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Jun 1, 2020

114 by notDelta »»
Jul 1, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

60 by ANIk_003 »»
Jul 1, 11:31 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 17 Discussion

39 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 12, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 16 Discussion

31 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 8, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 21 Discussion

34 by RyogiSHIKI7 »»
Jun 5, 12:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.