Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cardcaptor Sakura Collector’s Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2009 10:14 PM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
she could have used the time card if she had it, then again she wouldn't have been able to build up her relationship with her dad.
so its all for the best
Aug 23, 2012 8:42 PM

Mar 2010
This episode is the reason I raised my score to 9 xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2012 9:42 PM

May 2010
I want my family to be just like Sakura's.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 4, 2012 12:52 AM

Oct 2009
What the heck? Couldn't Sakura's dad just borrow laptop somewhere and replace HDD for the time being? I don't really think that Sakura managed to break not only TFT, but internal peripherals as well (though, for truth's sake, HDDs are vulnerable to physical impacts).
SerhiykoMar 15, 2013 8:57 AM
Mar 14, 2013 6:03 PM

Jul 2008
You forget this is the era of floppy discs, peripherals weren't so readily available then. Sakura was too cute in this one.
Sep 19, 2013 12:34 PM

Sep 2012
One of my favorite eps thus far. Don't know why. Everything just seemed to fit together.

That SLEEP card seems like it'd be very useful; one of the things I've learned from my time as a D&D 3.x min-maxer, is that putting your enemy to sleep in mid-combat is lethal. :D

I'm still waiting for Sakura to start combo-ing like a mo'fo. I can't imagine much standing up against SWORD, SHIELD, and POWER. Even if they're dangerous, she could always stunlock her foe with one or more of WATERY, WINDY, TREE/PLANT, etc. other methods of putting her opponent right where she wants it.

Dammit, this show is inspiring me to want to play P&P CCS so I can unleash all these things myself!

By the way, am I the only one who, upon watching the card-drawing animation, thinks "CARD-O SLASH!" ?
UnculturedWhiteySep 19, 2013 1:03 PM
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Nov 9, 2013 6:02 PM

Apr 2008
Sakura has a perfect family! Her dad seems pretty awesome, since most parents would punish their kids for destroying their laptop.
Nov 16, 2013 4:06 AM
Nov 2013
Politoed said:
Sakura has a perfect family! Her dad seems pretty awesome, since most parents would punish their kids for destroying their laptop.

Most kids wouldn't be nearly so contrite. He raised her well.
Mar 15, 2014 10:25 PM

Mar 2014
The perfect dad / dream husband *single tear for Sakura's dad*

One of my favorite episodes thus far. Sentimental without being too sweet and the card tied in nicely with the story. I only wish the cards were incorporated this seamlessly into the slice of life every time.

enkil said:
she could have used the time card if she had it, then again she wouldn't have been able to build up her relationship with her dad.
so its all for the best

Actually even if she did have the Time card in her possession Sakura still wouldn't be able to use it to turn back time - Sakura's magic isn't strong enough at her age to wield the full abilities of that card. All she (and Li) can do at this point is temporarily stop time (like in the zoo episode)

Further reading at the CCS wikia: http://ccs.wikia.com/wiki/Time#Abilities

Mod Edit: Merged posts. Please do not double post.
LunaMar 16, 2014 9:04 AM
May 21, 2014 12:00 PM
Nov 2013
Daughter father bonding :)

Owh man, we didn't see Sakura in her costume.
Dec 6, 2014 6:10 PM

Feb 2010
UnculturedWhitey said:
One of my favorite eps thus far. Don't know why. Everything just seemed to fit together.

That SLEEP card seems like it'd be very useful; one of the things I've learned from my time as a D&D 3.x min-maxer, is that putting your enemy to sleep in mid-combat is lethal. :D

I'm still waiting for Sakura to start combo-ing like a mo'fo. I can't imagine much standing up against SWORD, SHIELD, and POWER. Even if they're dangerous, she could always stunlock her foe with one or more of WATERY, WINDY, TREE/PLANT, etc. other methods of putting her opponent right where she wants it.

Dammit, this show is inspiring me to want to play P&P CCS so I can unleash all these things myself!

By the way, am I the only one who, upon watching the card-drawing animation, thinks "CARD-O SLASH!" ?
Can she even use more then one card at the same time at this point? She is still young and the cards have limits based on their user. Li could stop time, but not for very long.
Jan 23, 2015 12:50 PM

Feb 2008
UnculturedWhitey said:

Haha, you're not. Thought the same.

Finally a good episode again. Feels nice when the episode has more focus than just SoL + Clow Card battle. Character driven episodes are what this show needs the most.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 6, 2015 6:29 AM
May 2015
Episodes like this made CCS way better than other animes.
Jan 14, 2016 9:06 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
This was a lovely episode. If this was real life, Sakura would be in deep trouble. We see a bit more character development, especially from Sakura. I like how Toya showed more of his nice side towards the end.

Jul 6, 2016 1:12 AM
May 2014
Sakura's dad is a literal saint, I swear.

Nice to see Touya acting kind instead of like an asshole for once too. This was a beautiful episode.
Feb 20, 2017 9:54 AM

Dec 2014
I get teary eyed at some of the dumbest things. This show is just too sweet for my well being; and I love it for that.
Jun 24, 2017 2:16 AM

Aug 2007
DarN DAD. Why didn'T you JuST use G O O GLE D O C S!!!

Jun 24, 2017 4:46 AM

Oct 2009
Lycan said:

They didn't exist at the time
Jun 25, 2017 12:59 AM

Aug 2007
Serhiyko said:
Lycan said:

They didn't exist at the time

I know... this was obviously a joke xD

Aug 14, 2017 12:40 AM

Jul 2011
Okay this is a sweet episode. A different father would have scolded Sakura if all the week long work on that research were thrown in disarray.
Sep 28, 2017 12:06 AM

Dec 2016
My dad's work was a bit too far away for me to visit, not that it was exciting anyway.

I could use a sleep card at night, it's very hot here in summer and sometimes it takes me a while.

Windy is useful in just about every situation.

Oh no a broken computer, father of the year award right there and afterwards.
Nov 30, 2017 10:18 AM

Nov 2011
How beautiful! An episode all focused on the family of Sakura, in which it also emphasizes that the life of the girl is not all roses and flowers, and that also remarks how she is still a girl character. The capture of the Clow card is not bad. Very nice this time also the Costume Design. But then what is the sleeping card for? Mr. Clow is just a joker.
Tomoyo is a really nice and interesting character, as Sakura.
Dec 6, 2017 4:53 PM
Mar 2013
Even breaking the computer and riuned all that work, there is no way to be upset with a daughter like Sakura.
Jan 2, 2018 7:09 PM

Oct 2010
Infuriating episode, because the loss hinges on Otousan's total failure to back up his work. Dude, you had three floppy disks RIGHT THERE!

Take a copy with you in case the building burns, sprinklers go off, the computer gets stolen, etc. Losses of work due to such negligence are to a large degree your fault, and your child should not have to suffer guilt because of them. For breaking the computer, sure. But not for the loss of work.

The manga was written starting 1996, ten years after the introduction of common 3½-inch floppies, which each held 1.44 MB of data. We know that Sakura's dad was able to rewrite his work within one day. Let's say he types at an incredible speed of 200 WPM (1000 characters per minute) nonstop for twelve hours, producing a document 720,000 characters long. That's still only 0.7 MB, half of one floppy disk! Not that nonstop typing was what he did that day; the montage shows him spending time working through his research materials with his children. If for any reason the document was larger than a floppy, he could have used a zip drive, introduced in 1994. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_drive

Then he gets to look like Angel Dad by forgiving a grievance for which he should be sharing the blame.

Good grief. I'm not even a Thinking/Judging type, I'm an INFP.
May 12, 2018 3:05 PM

Nov 2008
I'm in the middle of watching this entire series on Blu Ray right now alongside the Clear Arc as it airs, which has been an interesting experience, as it alludes to the original show a ton.

I had to stop at this particular episode, however, just to express how much I enjoyed it. It was a great and heartwarming episode, and though we could debate the ideas of using the Time card or whether the father could have saved all the data (which I feel the previous poster GRAVELY oversimplified, considering the vague knowledge we had on his research, form of presentation and programs he was using on his laptop), the key notes of this episode are strong. Sakura comes off looking like a dependable, caring, pure-hearted daughter and her father, though stressed from overwork, did all he could to take this blow and move on, all while trying his best to alleviate Sakura's sense of guilt.

I'm glad I upgraded my television just before this episode so I could watch it in the great quality it deserves.
May 13, 2018 2:49 AM
Jan 2017
Beautiful episode, hopefully sleep is used in an interesting way at some point.
Jan 31, 2019 4:57 AM

May 2016
Dealing with the relatively harmless Sleep Card made Sakura accidentally destroy her father's hard work and the overwhelming guilt she had for what she did made me really sad. At least no one was doing anything dangerous before sleeping.

She did everything to make up for it and that was really touching. A week's work was done in a night thanks to his memory and the help of the whole household.

May 2, 2020 3:42 AM

Aug 2017
One of my favourite episodes so far. Sakura is such a sweet kid, and her dad is the best! Interesting Clow Card as well. Here's to more of these episodes! :3
Mar 14, 2021 11:09 AM

Jul 2016
Among my favorite CCS episodes. So heartwarming it melts your heart.
Apr 26, 2021 12:35 PM

Aug 2018
Well.. Searching new flowers for clothes design is actually quite a smart idea.. ;P So cute and cool from Tomoyo, to be honest.. ;P
May 12, 2021 3:46 PM
Feb 2020
It's quite a lesson, as someone that recently had to apologize for a big mistake it shocks me how easily Sakura's dad moves on and stars over with Sakura's help, I wish that was my case.
May 29, 2021 6:44 PM

Jun 2014
Sakura's dad is certainly forgiving, especially considering that she accidentally broke his laptop, and back in the late 90s, some laptops still cost upwards to $3000 or more at that time.

Jun 30, 2021 12:40 PM

Jan 2021
Such a sweet episode.
Although I have mixed feelings about sakuras dad.
I have to admit he’s a good dad.
Apr 23, 2022 12:21 PM

Oct 2021
Awww that was sweet, such an understanding parent.

Am I the only one who wants to eat all the food they prepare/buy in this anime? lol :3
May 8, 2023 9:18 PM
Jul 2017
feel good episode

her dad was so kind even though she ruined his work. this is what good parenting is like
Dec 23, 2023 9:38 AM
Sep 2018
Una obra de arte, i love watch more about sakura san Father

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 20 Discussion

Metty - Jun 18, 2009

48 by jilebi_james23 »»
Jun 7, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 18 Discussion

enkil - Jul 19, 2009

31 by jilebi_james23 »»
Jun 6, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 17 Discussion

enkil - Jul 18, 2009

31 by jilebi_james23 »»
Jun 5, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

edwrdgrhm - Sep 19, 2008

70 by jilebi_james23 »»
Jun 3, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 15 Discussion

edwrdgrhm - Sep 12, 2008

40 by jilebi_james23 »»
Jun 3, 5:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.