Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Sep 29, 2019 7:10 AM

Nov 2017
no bro

Sep 29, 2019 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
There are other subgenres, which are not on MAL, too. No.
Sep 29, 2019 2:27 PM
꧁ marr

Sep 2014
no lol

its a theme/tag at most, not a genre.

imo there's already too much genres to begin with.

LIFE IS CRAZY AND SO ARE YOU
♫♫♫

Oct 28, 2019 11:47 AM
Jan 2019
Yes it would be helpful not to scroll through every fantasy ever
Oct 28, 2019 11:48 AM
Jan 2019
Yes it would be helpful not to scroll through entire fantasy section
Jan 31, 2020 1:10 PM

Mar 2013
Old millenials (boomers?) running MAL would never do it....growing conservative with time....eh...
Jan 31, 2020 2:24 PM

Sep 2017
Would be nice, then it's possible to filter most of the garbage out.
Feb 9, 2020 10:06 AM

Jul 2014
lifeiscrazy said:
no lol. its a theme/tag at most, not a genre. imo there's already too much genres to begin with.

Then why not add "sub-genre", that would be a good way to add a lot of sub-categories for people that have precise taste in anime.
Mar 24, 2020 11:35 AM

Jul 2019
Instead of giving an argument, I will just point out some tags that do currently exist: Dementia, Demons, Game, Martial Arts, Samurai, Space, Super Power, Vampire, Police, etc.

You could even call it "Parallel Worlds" or something to make it more inclusive to other anime.
Mar 24, 2020 12:37 PM

Mar 2019
Yeah, if demons and vampires are gonna get a tag then Isekai might as well get one too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2020 1:47 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Cooking and Magical Girl/Mahou Shoujo need their own tags at this point too...
But I'm pretty sure the mods over at the Suggestions forums already discussed this kind of thread topic several times over the years.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1597430

I'm pretty sure they're not gonna do it anytime soon sadly.
Fario-PMar 24, 2020 1:50 PM
Mar 24, 2020 3:59 PM

May 2018
Fario-P said:

Wait... so there isnt a magical girl tag??? What??? Thats... in anime its always been established that magical girl is a genre. How is there a vampire and demon tag but not isekai or magical girl? Why dont they fulfill the demand?
Mar 24, 2020 8:14 PM

Dec 2018
Honestly they might as well, the tags aren’t just limited to genres (there’s a school tag for fucks sake). If you’re a fan of isekai you’ll probably like the next upcoming isekai anime. The same cannot be said for anime under tags such as space and school. Isekai deserves a tag if school deserves a tag imo.

Fario-P said:
Mahou Shoujo need their own tags at this point too...
Wait, there isn’t a Mahou Shoujo tag? How have I never noticed that?!
Mar 24, 2020 9:27 PM

Jul 2019
Monochrosanity said:
Well, I mean technically there is a mahou and a shoujo tag.
Mar 24, 2020 9:32 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
morihama said:
Monochrosanity said:
Not all mahou shoujo are shoujo.
Some mahou shoujo anime, like Lyrical Nanoha, Yuki Yuna, Madoka Magica, and Uta Kata, are more like seinen.
It's because they have content that is normally aimed at men and not a young female audience, which is what the mahou shoujo genre was traditionally aimed at.
Mar 24, 2020 9:34 PM

Dec 2018
morihama said:
Monochrosanity said:

That doesn’t count >.<
Mar 24, 2020 10:22 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah I'm surprised on why it doesn't have a tag now too...
Probably because they'll have to add tags on all pre-existing anime and upcoming anime, and because of how popular it is that could be pretty difficult to pinpoint.
Whoever likes slice of life anime doesn't have any IRL friends.
Mar 24, 2020 11:27 PM

Sep 2015
I think the staff is just slow and stiff. This was asked/suggested several times and I've never seen any reasonable argument why it shouldn't be a tag.

morihama said:

Shoujo is a demographic, not a genre, magic is something the entry features, not a genre. The magic + shoujo tags means it features magic and aimed at girls. mahou shoujo however is a genre and not necessarily aimed at girls. For example Prisma Illliya is a magical girls show and alsoo (borderline) yuri ecchi.
Mar 27, 2020 1:05 AM

Mar 2019
I wouldn't know I would rather expect another camera rotating around the model only to see another background infact. If I were to watch Anime shows that were preceded
Mar 29, 2020 7:58 PM

Mar 2020
It doesn't need one since there's already fantasy implemented in here.
Mar 30, 2020 1:59 AM
平沢唯

Dec 2016
Damerino said:
It doesn't need one since there's already fantasy implemented in here.
Isekai ≠ Fantasy

Not all fantasy are isekai, and not all isekai are fantasy. There's overlap, sure, a ton of it. But pretending they're equal is just incorrect. The main point of this thread is that there are already low-impact genres, or "tags", such as Vampire, Game, etcetera, that aren't really fully-fledged genres, but nonetheless define some aspect people may enjoy or wish to search for (or avoid). Isekai is no different.
Mar 30, 2020 8:17 AM

Apr 2017
I think an isekai tag would be nice, I'm surprised there's no Food/Cooking tag yet.
Mar 30, 2020 1:27 PM

May 2019
Fario-P said:

Monochrosanity said:

I'm not sure about cooking, but oddly enough most less than legal streaming sites have a Magical Girl tag, so it's a little weird that MAL hasn't caught up in that regard.

Although back on the topic of isekai, would the tag also apply to things like Buddy Complex, Revisions, and Inuyasha, where the character isn't sent to a whole different world, but rather a different point in time that's completely unrecognizable?
Mar 30, 2020 2:30 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I feel like maybe adding a subcategory system like Baka Updates Manga has would help with a lot of what people are suggesting in this thread. I don't think 190 pages of subcategories is necessary, but it'd be helpful for finding more anime.

But that probably takes more time than MAL would want to spend. That's understandable.
With that being said, there's a Demon and Vampire tag and those are subcategories if anything. I definitely am for adding a Magical Girl tag and a Food tag.

The concept of isekai is fantasy in itself, so it will always be able to be classified under the fantasy genre. However, Demon and Vampire is also classified under fantasy, so I guess why not have the isekai tag?

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 30, 2020 6:36 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged.
Apr 22, 2020 11:54 PM

Aug 2016
LordKaelan said:
It's 2k19, at the least one Isekai anime airs each season, Why is Isekai not a Genre yet... Their's well over 100 Isekai anime out there and genre like samurai and thriller have less than 200, not to mention Yuri and Yaoi at only 39 each... Isekai deserves it's own tag.

It's now 2k20 and we still don't have an Isekai Tag. Fix this MAL.
~Filthy Dragoncraft main.
Apr 23, 2020 9:18 AM

Sep 2009
yeah, definitely agreed this should be a thing

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Apr 23, 2020 12:01 PM

Nov 2011
The anime producers/creators are the ones who should state the genre of whatever they're making, I don't think MAL as a database site has the power to alter that nor should they. Basically, the isekai genre needs to be created by the companies, not MAL.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 23, 2020 12:05 PM

May 2019
Swiggy said:

The concept of isekai is fantasy in itself, so it will always be able to be classified under the fantasy genre. However, Demon and Vampire is also classified under fantasy, so I guess why not have the isekai tag?

Well for the most part it is, but it most definitely could be done in a sci-fi way. Dual Parallel is about a guy being sent to an alternate dimension via science shenanigans, and the Muv-Luv and Super Robot Wars franchises deal with similar dimension hopping stuff in certain entries, but that kind of take on the premise isn't too prevalent in anime.
Apr 23, 2020 4:33 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
FinalReality56 said:
Swiggy said:

Well for the most part it is, but it most definitely could be done in a sci-fi way. Dual Parallel is about a guy being sent to an alternate dimension via science shenanigans, and the Muv-Luv and Super Robot Wars franchises deal with similar dimension hopping stuff in certain entries, but that kind of take on the premise isn't too prevalent in anime.
Okay. Fair. Then hopefully it can become a tag! Again, why not?

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 23, 2020 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
that day will come when the first isekai, Urashima Tarou, gets a proper adaptation.
May 17, 2020 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
god,no
please no
May 18, 2020 10:51 AM
Feb 2018
MAL is lazy...
May 18, 2020 11:09 AM

Feb 2016
As a genre Isekai is similar to Mecha in significance, and considering the fact that it is developed enough to have it's own tropes and stereotypes, it is undoubtedly well defined enough to need it's own genre tag. There are people on both sides who would appreciate/benefit from this tag; those who seek and avoid Isekai. Isekai even has sub-genres of it's own, so how could it not be a genre? Heck, the sub-genres have sub-genres.
Hero Summon
Reincarnation
Gate/Portal
Game World
Nation Building
GyaruGe Villain
Severely Anti Hero
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2020 3:06 AM

Apr 2020
one possible problem is that 'isekai' can be subjective
is SAO or other video game based animes isekai ?
https://i.redd.it/qtsii6dzdiy41.jpg

it's not like the genre system isn't broken though...

https://i.imgur.com/6ipPFkF.png

Aug 2, 2020 10:31 AM
Aug 2020
I've seen a lot of suggestions for it, but I still think that it should definitely be a searchable tag.
The common argument against it is that it's a sub-genre of fantasy, however not all isekai anime have the fantasy tag. Take 'Youjo Senki (The Saga of Tanya the Evil)' as an example. It's definitely an isekai (salaryman reincarnated as a warmongering loli), however it's genres are 'Action, Military, Magic'.
Currently, it is hard to search for only isekai anime. You either have to search the word 'isekai' (which excludes isekai that don't have the word in their title like konosuba) or rely on the fantasy genre, which also brings you non-isekai anime.
Maybe when MAL was made, the genre wasn't that saturated but with the presence of isekai anime increasing dramatically in recent years, it's definitely time for an isekai tag to be added to the database.
If anyone else has a suggestion for a genre tag or an opinion on this matter, leave a comment. It would be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks.
Aug 2, 2020 2:42 PM

Sep 2017
Isekai is more like a setting or subgenre than an actual genre
Let's say an anime is isekai.What else does it tell aside from the setting? Comedy? Action? Ecchi? Most they have in common is being fantasy
I don't think isekai tag suggestion will get anywhere in future
خ
Aug 2, 2020 3:54 PM
Aug 2020
You're correct about it being a setting/subgenre, but that hasn't stopped other setting or subgenre tags from being added to MAL. For example, there's a tag called 'space', which is a setting. The tags 'demons' and 'magic' could be seen as a sub-genre of fantasy and the 'mecha' tag is essentially a sub-genre of sci-fi.
Also, as with 'Youjo Senki', there are isekai anime that aren't necessarily fantasy genre. Most of isekai anime *are* fantasy, which is probably why there hasn't been much of a demand for the tag, but there are possibilities of future isekai set outside the fantasy genre, such as an isekai in the past, or an isekai in a sci-fi world.
Having an isekai tag would also make it easier to distinguish between anime that are isekai, and anime which are regular fantasy.
Aug 2, 2020 6:49 PM

Feb 2015
Imagine looking at MAL database for series genre instead of AniDB

OMEGALUL
Aug 2, 2020 6:54 PM
Jul 2018
_Ako_ said:
Imagine looking at MAL database for series genre instead of AniDB

OMEGALUL

Now, now. If you tell them that there are more genres that are not included on MAL yet, it might break their mind.
Aug 3, 2020 4:25 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged.
Aug 3, 2020 11:00 AM

Feb 2016
I'm more disappointed by the lack of a "tragedy" tag.
その目だれの目?
Aug 4, 2020 1:11 AM
Aug 5, 2020 5:25 PM

Jul 2017
you already have these random tags like vampires and space being added as genres so making isekai a genre is pretty valid
Aug 13, 2020 12:52 PM
Oct 2006
Just to clarify... the topic title is 'genre' (which would be dumb) but every post in here is promoting 'tag', which I agree with (could be 'parallel world' instead of 'isekai'). The tag may have some overlap with fantasy, but the new tag would only have to do with setting. The 'school' tag also only has to do with setting. Seems legit to me.
Sep 20, 2020 5:47 AM

Nov 2012
its weird how this isnt a genre yet. Or at least call it Other World to throw stuff like familiar of Zero in it. I understand Isekai is included into fantasy, though vampire is its own genre and thats fantasy also
Sep 20, 2020 6:01 AM

Jul 2020
billy00 said:
its weird how this isnt a genre yet. Or at least call it Other World to throw stuff like familiar of Zero in it. I understand Isekai is included into fantasy, though vampire is its own genre and thats fantasy also

It is a genre and it has become official. Funimation also made it official. They were also giving out awards for anime of the decade and it had the category called best isekai of the decade.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Sep 20, 2020 7:04 AM

Nov 2012
Ad12345 said:
billy00 said:

It is a genre and it has become official. Funimation also made it official. They were also giving out awards for anime of the decade and it had the category called best isekai of the decade.

Yes, but its not one on MAL, thats why we are in the MAL suggestions forum.
Sep 20, 2020 8:12 AM

Apr 2011
Agreed. I think there's enough isekai out that this kinda needs to be a thing now. Same for CGDCT and Mahou Shoujo, especially Mahou Shoujo. How is such an influential and important genre not be officially recognised on this bloody database site?
Nov 11, 2020 7:22 PM
Nov 2020
I really love the isekai genre and I feel that there's been some sort of oversight leaving the genre out of the site's list. It'd really be helpful to me if MAL could add the genre to their genre list. It could also benefit me outside of MAL as the places where I watch anime and read manga also get their genres from MAL's list of genres.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Prevent obscure Donghua from polluting the top rankings

Zarutaku - Yesterday

9 by zombie_pegasus »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

Shark93 - Nov 12, 2022

28 by Potimas »»
4 hours ago

» The "related entries" redesign is atrocious

FurMetarArkemist - 8 hours ago

2 by velvetnyan »»
7 hours ago

» Who thought this was a good idea?

Shenhe - May 26

7 by Zarutaku »»
Today, 6:51 AM

» please increase the tag character limit 🙏

wormwormy - Today

0 by wormwormy »»
Today, 6:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.