Forum Settings
Forums

Do you agree/disagree with most anime opinions?

New
May 31, 2019 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
EDIT: I didn't realize that a contrarian was someone who purposely goes against popular opinion, so I've edited the title of the thread, and the poll, to clarify that when I was specifically talking about whether you agree/disagree with most anime opinions?

One thing I like about MAL is how diverse peoples' opinions on anime can be. That's why I've been wondering: when it comes to your thoughts on anime, are you a contrarian, conformist, or in-between? For example, do you generally like anime most people dislike, or like anime most people like?
I think I'm somewhat in-between. My favorites list consists of anime that are highly acclaimed.
But at the same time, there are plenty of anime I don't care for that other people love (Gintama, Hunter X Hunter, Attack on Titan, yeah I'm gonna get flamed for this).
removed-userMay 31, 2019 4:21 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 31, 2019 4:11 PM

Jul 2015
lumping yourself in as either group is definitely stupid
May 31, 2019 4:12 PM

Mar 2019
Bunsuke said:
lumping yourself in as either group is definitely stupid
Agreed, why would the only option be "in between".

The sane man has his own opinions regardless of the masses; that's not a "contrarian" a contrarian purposefully goes against the masses.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
May 31, 2019 4:12 PM

Apr 2017
I think nearly everyone, including me, will be somewhere in between. I certainly like many popular shows (they are popular for a reason), but I also end up disliking them in many cases. And I have my own niche shows that I consider good, even if many/most people may think otherwise, so I'm certainly neither of the two extremes.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
May 31, 2019 4:14 PM

Aug 2018
In between, I like trashy shows and deep shows depending on my mood. I don't expect much of anime and I can enjoy some bad shows, but I always think by myself and I like what I like and I hate what I hate without caring about the other people.

Also as a side note, you fav list and the shows you named that you don't like can be easily used to classify you as an elitist... I don't care that much about it tho.
May 31, 2019 4:14 PM

May 2018
I just like anime that I've watched and enjoyed? Saying you like or dislike something based entirely off of what other people think is pretty ridiculous.
May 31, 2019 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
Suiyoubidayo said:
I just like anime that I've watched and enjoyed? Saying you like or dislike something based entirely off of what other people think is pretty ridiculous.

I think there's a misunderstanding. I didn't say that a contrarian or conformist is someone who likes/dislikes something because of others' opinions, but only happens to like/dislike something that others like/dislike.
May 31, 2019 4:20 PM

Aug 2017
Im what I call a striver for good content
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2019 4:20 PM

May 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Suiyoubidayo said:

I think there's a misunderstanding. I didn't say that a contrarian or conformist is someone who likes/dislikes something because of others' opinions, but only happens to like/dislike something that others like/dislike.

Yeah you should have worded the question differently then. Because that is what "conformist" and "contrarian" mean. Conformists conform their opinions to be in line with the majority while Contrarians purposely disagree with the majority regardless of their actual opinions. You shouldve just asked if we liked a lot of shows that are considered popular or disliked popular shows.
May 31, 2019 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
Suiyoubidayo said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Yeah you should have worded the question differently then. Because that is what "conformist" and "contrarian" mean. Conformists conform their opinions to be in line with the majority while Contrarians purposely disagree with the majority regardless of their actual opinions. You shouldve just asked if we liked a lot of shows that are considered popular or disliked popular shows.

Yeah, thank you for pointing out my mistake. I edited the title of the thread and the polls to clarify what I actually meant.
May 31, 2019 5:57 PM

Jun 2017
I think I'm in between. My favorites and high rated shows are what most people like but I consider many shows as "overrated" shows but there isn't many shows that I can call them underrated so at least scores are never that low for me. And also beside of SoL/CGDCT/iyashikei shows there is no show that I like which most people dislike.
May 31, 2019 6:02 PM

Apr 2014
i try to stay away from those opinions in the first place, so idk how i compare ;p
May 31, 2019 6:04 PM

Dec 2008
The only opinion I respect is my own.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Jun 1, 2019 1:28 AM
Jul 2018
That's too broad. There's no the anime opinion, there's widely different opinions all over the place.
Jun 1, 2019 1:33 AM

Mar 2015
Hit or miss. There's plenty of popular opinions I don't agree with but at the same time my anime taste is pretty mainstream.
Jun 1, 2019 1:45 AM

May 2014
Hmm it's half and half. I don't like popular anime like Steins Gate, Gintama, Hunter x Hunter, 3-gatsu no lion, Clannad and Monogatari for examples. But i also like a lot of other popular anime series too.

A show being popular isn't going to have an effect on whether i like it or not. If i think it's bad then i'm not going to try and force myself to watch it just because it's popular.
Jun 1, 2019 1:46 AM

Oct 2013
Probably in between. A lot of my favorites would be considered popular but I also really enjoyed stuff that isn't all that popular like Hamatora and Blassreiter. There are also plenty of highly rated anime with scores I don't fully agree with like Your Name.
Jun 1, 2019 1:59 AM

Dec 2017
It's in between for me. I usually don't care about opinions for majority of the anime.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jun 1, 2019 6:10 PM

Oct 2017
That's a really interesting question. I'm not sure about 'in between' as an option, though. Seems like a cop out. So I'll have to pick one of the other two...

Man I really don't know. I find a lot in common with people when talking about some anime. I disagree with most people on Reddit but the r/anime community is casual as fuck. I'm not sure the opinions of most of the people on there should count.

But the title question is so broad. Just "anime opinions"...

You know I think I will go with in-between because it's genuinely very close to 50/50 I think. Whenever I give controversial opinions on r/anime I find the votes are very split. There is a definite close to 50/50 split in the anime community over many opinions.

EDIT: As expected, most people put in-between. It's strange to me how many issues tend to split this community in half.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 1, 2019 6:21 PM

Aug 2018
I hate all anime watchers, i hate their waifus, i hate their stupid arguments to defend their anime (that tends to be bad or poorly written).
I hate anime. So yeah im pretty much a "contrarian" or contrarion or whatever thing you wanna call me. I prefer to call me an asshole. I don't think i go against people opinions on purpose i just legitimately think that 90% of anime watchers have shit taste.

The ammount of anime i can watch witout gougin my eyes out is abismally low.
I'm also inmensely stupid since after all i said i still watch anime.

Aldnox said:
That's too broad. There's no the anime opinion, there's widely different opinions all over the place.

Keep telling yourself that.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jun 1, 2019 6:38 PM
Jan 2012
I don't disagree with most opinions, but enough that I actually do seem contrarian at a glance. I don't do it on purpose though, I just used to be a gigantic obnoxious elitist, and I haven't been able to get rid of all the side effects.

Also yeah most people will be in-between, but I think it's a pretty interesting conversation considering there are actually people that form their opinions completely on others opinions, whether it's in agreement or disagreement. This isn't even just an anime discussion, you see this everywhere, like fashion. Back in high school so many people thought brands like Abercrombie and Fitch and American Eagle were the best solely because they were told by their peers, the anime community seems at least self-aware about these kinds of people existing.
Jun 1, 2019 6:41 PM

Mar 2016
anyone who disagrees with me has shit taste.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jun 1, 2019 6:50 PM

Apr 2015
I have come to realized that because my taste is difference in comparison to most western anime fans and the anime community as hold, I expect to disagree with most anime opinions and that's fine by me.
Jun 1, 2019 6:54 PM
womp womp

Nov 2012
I'm not either, nor in-between. I simply have my opinion and don't change it upon hearing someone else's. My opinion is my own, and it changes not due to a majority vote but rather a coherent explanation and analysis of said opinion of show. But whether that is a majority opinion still stands to be proven. A majority vote, or in this case - opinion, can be as small as 2-1.

As where you receive this "majority" opinion depends solely on you and your exposure. Albeit, as we are all on this site, and have exposed ourselves to a wide range of opinions. Generally for the more hyper-popular shows, I'm at odds with and the lesser known and watched series are the ones I'm more in agreement with. But that has less to do with changing my opinion and more with circumstances I believe.
Jun 1, 2019 7:05 PM

Sep 2014
Seeing how I like a lot of popular shows I cant quite say I disagree. But I definitely dont think highly of most MAL scores lately. For me FMAB was good, nothing which deserves a 10 though, so I definitely disagree with the popular opinion of the number 1 anime here.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 2, 2019 3:03 PM

Jan 2013
CordobezEverdeen said:
I hate all anime watchers, i hate their waifus, i hate their stupid arguments to defend their anime (that tends to be bad or poorly written).
I hate anime. So yeah im pretty much a "contrarian" or contrarion or whatever thing you wanna call me. I prefer to call me an asshole. I don't think i go against people opinions on purpose i just legitimately think that 90% of anime watchers have shit taste.

[b]I'm also inmensely stupid[/] since after all i said i still watch anime.

Aldnox said:

Sounds like some wannabe try hard shit.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 2, 2019 7:22 PM

May 2009
HopefulNihilist said:
Did you try to bait me? :P

HopefulNihilist said:
One thing I like about MAL is how diverse peoples' opinions on anime can be. That's why I've been wondering: when it comes to your thoughts on anime, are you a contrarian, conformist, or in-between? For example, do you generally like anime most people dislike, or like anime most people like?
I think I'm somewhat in-between. My favorites list consists of anime that are highly acclaimed.
But at the same time, there are plenty of anime I don't care for that other people love (Gintama, Hunter X Hunter, Attack on Titan, yeah I'm gonna get flamed for this).
Honestly I think everyone is somewhere in-between.

Anyway, so am I.

I think I probably am closer to "contrarian" than "conformist", due to a few factors:

* I haven't watched many of the popular shows. I also don't keep up with whatever's going in the current season.
* I didn't really "grow up with" anime, the way a lot of people watched DBZ, Naruto or SAO or whatever, often extensively, during their childhood/teen years.
* I only got into anime as an adult, and my formative years were spent doing things like playing older videogames. (I often use the narrative experience of a classic SNES JRPG as a storytelling model, and besides, my experiences with games, particularly JRPG, has definitely contributed to my appreciation for fantasy shows and videogame adaptations.)
* I watch anime mainly alone, rather than as a social experience.

Anyhow, I have a mix of opinions. For example, here are some things I like, which are also reasonably popular/well-respected:
* Neon Genesis Evangelion
* The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
* The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
* A Silent Voice
* Nodame Cantabile
* Fresh Pretty Cure, Heartcatch Pretty Cure
* Angel Beats

While here are some things that tend to be beloved by the fandom consensus, but where my opinion seems to differ:
* End of Evangelion
* Madoka Magica
* Assassination Classroom
* No Game No Life
* Gunbuster

More details available on request.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 2, 2019 7:36 PM

Jun 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
HopefulNihilist said:
Did you try to bait me? :P

HopefulNihilist said:
Honestly I think everyone is somewhere in-between.

Anyway, so am I.

I think I probably am closer to "contrarian" than "conformist", due to a few factors:

* I haven't watched many of the popular shows. I also don't keep up with whatever's going in the current season.
* I didn't really "grow up with" anime, the way a lot of people watched DBZ, Naruto or SAO or whatever, often extensively, during their childhood/teen years.
* I only got into anime as an adult, and my formative years were spent doing things like playing older videogames. (I often use the narrative experience of a classic SNES JRPG as a storytelling model, and besides, my experiences with games, particularly JRPG, has definitely contributed to my appreciation for fantasy shows and videogame adaptations.)
* I watch anime mainly alone, rather than as a social experience.

Anyhow, I have a mix of opinions. For example, here are some things I like, which are also reasonably popular/well-respected:
* Neon Genesis Evangelion
* The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
* The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
* A Silent Voice
* Nodame Cantabile
* Fresh Pretty Cure, Heartcatch Pretty Cure
* Angel Beats

While here are some things that tend to be beloved by the fandom consensus, but where my opinion seems to differ:
* End of Evangelion
* Madoka Magica
* Assassination Classroom
* No Game No Life
* Gunbuster

More details available on request.

So what are some of the shows you like that are unpopular and generally not well-respected? I'm particularly curious because outside of Pokemon at the height of it being a global phenomenon (or at least when this was felt in the U.S.) for maybe half a year when I was in the second grade, I didn't grow up watching anime either and keep looking for older classic (and sometimes more niche) shows than the seasonal favorites of recent years.

One example for me is Attack on Titan, which seems to be back at a high point in its popularity with the third season, but I dropped in the second season and never returned to (not ruling it out for future, but was frustrated).

Never watched a single episode of the "big three", but outside of those, shounen from the same era seem to be viewed as outdated and often derided and looked down upon these days with a lot of people who watched it in their childhood viewing it as puerile or feel regressive for acknowledging liking it or looking at it through another lens, but to those of us who started as adults, it doesn't carry any such association or stigma.
Jun 2, 2019 7:58 PM

May 2009
WatchTillTandava said:
So what are some of the shows you like that are unpopular and generally not well-respected? I'm particularly curious because outside of Pokemon at the height of it being a global phenomenon (or at least when this was felt in the U.S.) for maybe half a year when I was in the second grade, I didn't grow up watching anime either and keep looking for older classic (and sometimes more niche) shows than the seasonal favorites of recent years.

One example for me is Attack on Titan, which seems to be back at a high point in its popularity with the third season, but I dropped in the second season and never returned to (not ruling it out for future, but was frustrated).

Never watched a single episode of the "big three", but outside of those, shounen from the same era seem to be viewed as outdated and often derided and looked down upon these days with a lot of people who watched it in their childhood viewing it as puerile or feel regressive for acknowledging liking it or looking at it through another lens, but to those of us who started as adults, it doesn't carry any such association or stigma.
Unfortunately, the pool of unpopular shows is extremely large and thus it is quite unlikely that the more unpopular titles among my faves will be anywhere near duplicated by anyone else.

But here goes... all of these are #2001 or beyond in MAL rankings.

* Kiddy Grade
* Beatless
* Chaika the Coffin Princess
* Stratos 4
* Soukou no Strain
* Rocket Girls
* Umi Monogatari
* The Tower of Druaga
* Allison & Lillia
* Four Rhythm Across the Blue

And here are some within #1001-#2000. (I broke it down this way because I recently responded to a couple threads using these ranges to ask.) These aren't as obscure, naturally, and tend to have a higher rating than the ones in the list above.

* Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
* Cross Ange
* Arpeggio of Blue Steel
* Moyashimon
* The iDOLM@STER
* Planetarian

With regards to the more popular shows, I watched Pokémon early on (and loved it), and I also watched a bunch of Naruto episodes but only because a friend I hung out with watched them (it never caught on with me). Amusingly, I never did watch Digimon but I have been curious about it for many years.

What about you? Do you feel that your tastes generally line up well with the fandom consensus?
Jun 2, 2019 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
I'm gonna be honest guys: I'm sorry for making this thread. I should've known the question was stupid. Obviously, most people will be mixed when it comes to general opinions on anime.
Jun 2, 2019 11:24 PM

Apr 2017
lol, anime opinions vary󠂪󠂪󠂪󠂪󠂪󠂪󠂪󠂪
Jun 3, 2019 12:02 AM

Jan 2009
err that depends on the show? for example i find the first 10-15 minute of Your Name boring and decided to stop watching it even though its very popular and highly rated too
Jun 3, 2019 12:20 AM
Apr 2019
Like most people are saying, I'd put myself somewhere in between. I think classics like Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion well and truly earn that title, but then again there are some things that people seem to mostly love that just never seized me such as Hunter x Hunter.

Looking at my MAL rankings it appears that I lean slightly more to the contrarian side of things, as my average score is well below the site's average and I seem to score most individual shows lower than their overall score. That said, my average is still above 5, which to me indicates that by a slight margin, I have a generally more favorable than negative view on the shows I watch, so I wouldn't say I'm going out of my way to be negative. If anything, I'd say I'm just a bit more reserved than most people in lavishing praise on shows. Also there are a few of what I'll call 'nostalgia classics', i.e. stuff people watched as kids and remember fondly as a result, that I try to look at objectively now as an adult and thus probably rate lower than most people. Such shows include Pokemon, DBZ and Naruto, all of which I think I scored as 5s - essentially fine, but not anything hugely special in the cold light of adulthood.

I certainly always try to approach every show I watch, whether popular or unpopular, with an open mind. Without going through and checking, I'd guess that most shows that score an 8.5 or higher on MAL, I've generally walked away from with a pretty positive view of myself.
Jun 3, 2019 12:32 AM
May 2018
If you average score is so low, maybe you should find yourself a new hobby.
Jun 3, 2019 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely in between.

I like popular shows such as:
Code Geass
Haurhi Suzumiya
Konosuba
ReZero
One Piece
FMA
MHA
Seven Deadly Sins
Steins Gate
One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Clannad

I'm a little mixed with shows such as:
Attack on Titan
Death Note
Angel Beats
Another
Monogatari Series

And I personally do not like these shows:
Naruto
Bleach
SAO
Darling in the Franxx
Tokyo Ghoul
No Game No Life
Akame Ga Kill
Jun 3, 2019 7:16 AM

Apr 2010
There's the major's opinion and there's mine... many times... they don't' tend to overlap.

Jun 3, 2019 7:20 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
as someone who mostly likes the anime no one ever talks about or even knows exist, i have to say i disagree with most, although i probably lean towards inbetween
Jun 3, 2019 9:52 AM

Feb 2010
Idk what an anime opinion even is. It always depends on who you ask. There's shows with high scores where I don't know anybody who actually liked them and shows with lower scores where I haven't met anyone who disliked them. What's the majority opinion? Just the score, or all the opinions I actually heard from people?

There is also the question of when you start to qualify something as 'disagreeing'. I frequently see people calling shows overrated or underrated because their average score is like 0.5 different from the score that user gave them, but to me that is not disagreeing with the average score, it's basically being in the range of it. For example when I give something a 7 and it has an 8.xx average score, or vice versa, I see it as more or less being on the same page still.

In that sense I don't disagree vehementaly with the average score very often. There are of course cases, like Shigatsu which I detest, or Gallery Fake which I love, where the discrepancy between my score and the average score is big enough to actually be called a disagreement, but considering how much I've seen the overall number of those shows is overseeable.

So overall I'd say I can agree with most scores (if you want to define the majority opinion like that) because
a) I have a very broad taste and like a lot of stuff and can usually find something to enjoy in the majority of shows, which makes me more likely to find MAL scores agreeable since they are mostly positive. Someone who hates 90% of all anime, would disagree with the majority of scores on MAL, but that's not me.
b) I don't have a black and white view when I compare my score to the average score. Average scores need to be interpreted as ranges more than fixed numbers, and if you do that it's much easier to not find most of them disagreeable.

And in general, more often than not, I will find it at least understandable why the highest rated shows are rated the highest. I might have a bit of a different ranking myself, but most highly scored shows deserve their score one way or the other, either for having near-universal appeal or for simply being among the best of its type of show, even if you dislike that type of show in general.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 3, 2019 10:37 AM

Jun 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
WatchTillTandava said:

Unfortunately, the pool of unpopular shows is extremely large and thus it is quite unlikely that the more unpopular titles among my faves will be anywhere near duplicated by anyone else.

But here goes... all of these are #2001 or beyond in MAL rankings.

* Kiddy Grade
* Beatless
* Chaika the Coffin Princess
* Stratos 4
* Soukou no Strain
* Rocket Girls
* Umi Monogatari
* The Tower of Druaga
* Allison & Lillia
* Four Rhythm Across the Blue

And here are some within #1001-#2000. (I broke it down this way because I recently responded to a couple threads using these ranges to ask.) These aren't as obscure, naturally, and tend to have a higher rating than the ones in the list above.

* Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
* Cross Ange
* Arpeggio of Blue Steel
* Moyashimon
* The iDOLM@STER
* Planetarian

With regards to the more popular shows, I watched Pokémon early on (and loved it), and I also watched a bunch of Naruto episodes but only because a friend I hung out with watched them (it never caught on with me). Amusingly, I never did watch Digimon but I have been curious about it for many years.

What about you? Do you feel that your tastes generally line up well with the fandom consensus?

Thanks for the reply and fleshing out your list. When I get a chance later today or tomorrow I'm going to look those up in the database on here to see if any catches my eye. I'm not opposed to the popular shows because they're popular, but it surprises me how many shows are lower on the list and seem to slip under the radar not because of poor quality or even a majority actively disliking them, but because they just failed to catch on and resonate with a larger audience for some reason. Those tend to resonate with me, while still being a big fan of some of those higher up on the list. There's no reason to choose or limit yourself in such a way.

Actually, for me, I have to say previously I was only vaguely aware of the general number and popularity by hearsay or anecdote about the series in my own personal top ten, so I just took a look and was rather surprised. There are certain shows I knew were highly popular and revered even if being relatively older and not particularly long-running titles (Mushishi and Berserk, for example, are perfect examples of this), but I was surprised to find 8/10 of mine currently in the top 1000 and only one in the 2000-3000 range and one well beyond that in the 8000's.

* Inuyasha - 692
* Koi Kaze - 2731
* Haibane Renmei - 546
* Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - 481
* Berserk - 120
* Kaiba - 307
* Serial Experiments Lain - 569
* Mushishi - 38
* Noragami - 410
* Angel Cop - 8141

So the most accurate way to summarize it seems to be that while I either don't tend to care for or haven't watched the biggest titles (most of the top 100 and a lot of the top 1000), some of the shows I love most are in the top 1000 range and generally well-known and respected within the community even if some are polarizing titles and obscure to those outside of it.

I think it's also because compared to many on this site I've only seen a small number of series so far and generally research pretty extensively before I start something so I'm almost guaranteed to like it and go for quality. Some of the titles further down may be things I love deeply but I just haven't heard about them yet either from scouring message boards or a friend's recommendations. That's why I'll look more into yours to see if I can add something to my small but polished treasure chest.

On Digimon, I knew about its existence as a kid (same as a lot of other series of the fighting monster or battle shounen type that were advertised on Kids WB or Cartoon Network) but never saw a single episode. I always liked the look of some of the character designs and after some digging, added Digimon Tamers to my To-Watch list. It's further down on my priorities so it may be a few weeks or months before I get to it, but in that time I'm debating whether to actually start with the first Adventures season or not. One of the things that deters me is everything I've looked at on the second season seems like a very stilted production so I may just start with Tamers or watch the first and then skip to the third. Let me know if you end up going down that road.
Jun 3, 2019 10:52 AM

May 2009
WatchTillTandava said:
Thanks for the reply and fleshing out your list. When I get a chance later today or tomorrow I'm going to look those up in the database on here to see if any catches my eye. I'm not opposed to the popular shows because they're popular, but it surprises me how many shows are lower on the list and seem to slip under the radar not because of poor quality or even a majority actively disliking them, but because they just failed to catch on and resonate with a larger audience for some reason. Those tend to resonate with me, while still being a big fan of some of those higher up on the list. There's no reason to choose or limit yourself in such a way.
Yeah, there are a lot of quite enjoyable things further down that list that just didn't happen to "strike it big".

WatchTillTandava said:
So the most accurate way to summarize it seems to be that while I either don't tend to care for or haven't watched the biggest titles (most of the top 100 and a lot of the top 1000), some of the shows I love most are in the top 1000 range and generally well-known and respected within the community even if some are polarizing titles and obscure to those outside of it.

I think it's also because compared to many on this site I've only seen a small number of series so far and generally research pretty extensively before I start something so I'm almost guaranteed to like it and go for quality. Some of the titles further down may be things I love deeply but I just haven't heard about them yet either from scouring message boards or a friend's recommendations. That's why I'll look more into yours to see if I can add something to my small but polished treasure chest.
For what it's worth I made a more extensive favorites list since I can only keep ten (or twenty if I pay) here. That's why I have more. (I guess it's not a "favorites" list but rather a list of "things I enjoyed a lot".)

Anyhow, unlike you I avoid researching a show and prefer to go in blind. I have found lots of instances where my opinion of a show ran orthogonal to its fandom consensus regarding quality, with me feeling meh about highly respected shows while really liking shows with low scores, so I started ignoring such commentaries. Instead I pay a lot more attention to things like character art, premise and setting, music, and general aesthetic. For example: I don't follow airing/recent shows, but of the stuff I've gotten wind of via chatter from friends, The Price of Smiles seems to be very much up my alley, despite its low score. (After all, Beatless is one of my all-time favorites, and look how low its score is.)

Of course, you do you, whatever works get you experiences you enjoy more.

(Re Digimon I have no current plans for starting the show or how I'd watch it.)
Jun 3, 2019 11:14 AM

Jun 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Anyhow, unlike you I avoid researching a show and prefer to go in blind. I have found lots of instances where my opinion of a show ran orthogonal to its fandom consensus regarding quality, with me feeling meh about highly respected shows while really liking shows with low scores, so I started ignoring such commentaries. Instead I pay a lot more attention to things like character art, premise and setting, music, and general aesthetic. For example: I don't follow airing/recent shows, but of the stuff I've gotten wind of via chatter from friends, The Price of Smiles seems to be very much up my alley, despite its low score. (After all, Beatless is one of my all-time favorites, and look how low its score is.)

Of course, you do you, whatever works get you experiences you enjoy more.

Yeah, with the researching, it's just how I am with everything - non-anime series, films, even restaurants. I have an insatiable need to know about something before going into it because I'm interested in so many things that I just couldn't possibly have the time or money in the day to pursue everything I'd like to if I didn't apply this filter. I have a lot of free time, but the amount of content out there is astonishing. So I probably spend more time reading about and watching hopefully spoiler-free reviews of a lot of series and other things than actually watching them.

I don't determine whether to watch or not based on if the thing I'm researching is rated highly though. A lot of the times it will be something heavily panned, but because of what the criticisms are, I can determine "Oh, the critic in question hates this and I can see how this will be unappealing to the majority of folks, but because of that same thing it's hated on for it sounds right up my alley". I guess I'm neutral to the ratings. I don't care if something I'm into is ranked 10,000 or #1. The only time I care is when a show's popularity threatens its quality, for long-running series that risk devolving into fanservice and laziness.
Jun 3, 2019 11:35 AM

Apr 2016
In terms of MAL, me and MAL scores don't often see eye to eye. So I guess I disagree? I dunno.
Jun 3, 2019 11:39 AM

May 2016
CordobezEverdeen said:

Aldnox said:

I hate mainstream animes like MHA, JJBA and probably Naruto cus they've made pretty salty imo those shit animes never got me into liking them and people i used to follow kinda made me dislike them.

A blog on Tumblr that blocked me like about 2 days ago is one of those jerks who forced me into liking them and having the same thoughts.

So, no. I dissagree with thoughts.
Jun 3, 2019 12:05 PM

Aug 2017
Disagree with most of the opinios in general,but this good:Socrate always consired the dialogue and discussion between people as the best way to develop our mind,learn new things and create a personal opinion; soooo this means I'm still learn about Anime :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2019 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Helios92 said:
CordobezEverdeen said:

I hate mainstream animes like MHA, JJBA and probably Naruto cus they've made pretty salty imo those shit animes never got me into liking them and people i used to follow kinda made me dislike them.

A blog on Tumblr that blocked me like about 2 days ago is one of those jerks who forced me into liking them and having the same thoughts.

I understand why someone may hate My Hero Academia, maybe Naruto, but Jojo? Jojo is one of the most likeable, charismatic, series imo
Jun 3, 2019 3:42 PM

Aug 2018
HopefulNihilist said:

I understand why someone may hate My Hero Academia, maybe Naruto, but Jojo? Jojo is one of the most likeable, charismatic, series imo

I don't understand how someone could consider Jojo a mainstream anime.
They are several times less popular than Naruto and MHA to be compared.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jun 4, 2019 6:39 PM

Apr 2019
I probably disagree with MAL and the general community in cases like:

- Jojo Bizarre Adventure ( I dont like it)
- Seven Deadly Sins (I dont even know why people like it)
- Gurren Lagan (I dont like it)
- Devilman Cry Baby (I couldnt handle the art style)
- Death Note (I liked it but I think its ridiculously overrated) (same case as HxH and Mob Psycho 100)

- Pingu in the city as the 86th best rated show is disturbing

And I think some animes are really underrated:

- Serial Experiment Lain
- Kino no Tabi
- Bokurano
- Wolf´s Rain
Jun 4, 2019 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
Gingko said:

- Death Note (I liked it but I think its ridiculously overrated) (same case as HxH and Mob Psycho 100)

- Serial Experiment Lain
- Kino no Tabi
- Bokurano
- Wolf´s Rain

While that 2nd list of anime you listed are not as viewed as the other anime in the 1st list, they're still highly regarded and respected.

CordobezEverdeen said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Isn't Jojo one of the most popular series in Japan?
Jun 4, 2019 6:58 PM

Apr 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
Gingko said:

- Serial Experiment Lain
- Kino no Tabi
- Bokurano
- Wolf´s Rain

While that 2nd list of anime you listed are not as viewed as the other anime in the 1st list, they're still highly regarded and respected.

CordobezEverdeen said:

Isn't Jojo one of the most popular series in Japan?

Oh, ok .

I guess I didnt understand how MAL system works, I thought people how knows about Seven Deadly Sins and Bokurano used to rate better the first one.

So popularity is a important value to understand the lists.

Thanks.
Jun 7, 2019 4:38 AM

May 2016
HopefulNihilist said:
Helios92 said:

JoJo just never got me to the hype or the like. It came out in 2012 and I never wanted to watch anything real blant and stupid imo
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Isn't L's Full Name being on display on the front page of MAL massive spoiler?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

3 by NightVampire »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9127 by anime-prime »»
10 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 3 )

arinthach - Apr 18

112 by mshfqtny »»
12 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime? ( 1 2 )

coolyfruity - May 24

66 by Zharux11 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » You will die if you lose, choose the competition.

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

26 by LoveYourSmile »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.