Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2019 9:30 PM

Dec 2018
So yeah I saw a good amount of people said they're picky in anime
Your opinion on this?

Also how about you? Does an anime need to have certain things for you to add it to your PTW?

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Jan 27, 2019 9:34 PM

Sep 2017
See, some can be picky, but some can have preferences. I personally don't care, and for me, I usually just watch any show and am not picky about much/have many preferences.
Jan 27, 2019 9:48 PM

Aug 2018
I check shows with interesting synopsis, genres, PV or that someone recommended it to me with an interesting reason... But when I check seasonal shows I go in commando style without knowing shit, that is why I mostly drop seasonal shows. I usually enjoy what I search for.
Jan 27, 2019 9:54 PM

Aug 2015
I'm used to be very picky on the anime I want to watch..
But now that I found many interesting anime outside of my preferences, I'm more open minded tho I still have some qualification in hand. So, I think it's ok for people to be picky about the anime they watch, tho they probably will miss out lots of good one.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jan 27, 2019 9:58 PM

Dec 2018
For me, anime is a journey ripe with new experiences. I can't afford to be picky because it may limit exposure to some sub-genre that I may end up enjoying.
Jan 27, 2019 10:01 PM

Aug 2016
I watch whatever sounds interesting, fits into a goal, word of mouth, and/or friend recommendation
Jan 27, 2019 10:02 PM

Jan 2013
I'm starting to think it depends on how much you enjoy anime in general (as a medium), some people only have narrow preferences and stick to them but some like discovering various things and are more open minded, because there's more things they enjoy.

I'm not picky when it comes to anime, but when it comes to manga (which I don't like as much as I like anime) I try to stick to the best things it has to offer for my taste and don't stray much.
fuyukiJan 27, 2019 10:10 PM
Jan 27, 2019 10:04 PM

May 2013
I only see what i know i'd like. Seeing anime requires a good amount of time for me, so i just check what i think i'll like. It's not the same for manga tho, i just check whatever i want and i see if it's okay or not.
Jan 27, 2019 10:11 PM
Nov 2013
Kind of, although I like to keep my prefrences pretty open. I don't have any genres I try to stay away from besides shounen-ai and I'll watch/read series from any time period dating back to the early 70's. That being said, a work has to keep me interested for me to actually finish it, if I'm bored out of mind I'll just drop it, even if I do see some merit in the characters/story or production value. I guess it's a double-edged sword in this case, because I may finish something that ends up not being as good as I thought while also missing out on a decent series that only had a slow start. For this reason, I usually try to stick it out as best I can while evaluating as I go along if "the ends justify the means", but if I'm hardly interested at all and I see a lot of flaws early on, chances are I'm dropping it.
Jan 27, 2019 10:16 PM

Aug 2016
I've got preferences as to what I'd enjoy most or add to my plan to watch, but I wouldn't say I'm too picky. I like to dabble in other genres I think I may not like just to give them a chance.
Jan 27, 2019 10:16 PM
Jan 2012
I don't know if I'm picky when compared to how the average person is like, but I have gotten pickier over the years. I think that's pretty normal, you attempt to experience the best of what a medium has to offer, then you might not find the same joy when you watch something that's merely above average, compared to the days when anime was such a new thing to you.

When most of us were kids, at least when I was a kid, I'd see something with an anime aesthetic and immediately wanted to watch it, and I'd love it regardless of it's quality. I was a kid with typical Shounen tastes with Rave Master and Saiyuki being my favorite shows, yet I watched the entirety of Ayashi no Ceres and most of Boys Be because I just wanted to watch anime.
Jan 27, 2019 10:19 PM
May 2016
definitely not picky, i like to think i'm pretty open to at least trying any anime
Jan 27, 2019 10:21 PM
Dec 2012
Idk if it's being picky, but I can't bring myself to watch anything made before 2005ish because of the visual and sound quality not being as good as what we have now, and shounen anime aren't my cup of tea. Some can rarely be good, but I'll never watch one that's hundreds of episodes long no matter what.
Jan 28, 2019 12:19 AM

Dec 2018
I have a lot of weird rules and demands before i even pick a new anime up. If i don't believe the anime can follow my rules i won't start watching it
Yuri-CrusaderJan 28, 2019 12:22 AM
Jan 28, 2019 12:21 AM

Jul 2015
Yep I'm picky to avoid things I will not enjoy

The majority of seasonal anime are trash anyway
Jan 28, 2019 12:27 AM
Jun 2017
I'm usually pretty picky when it comes to anime. Well, actually it's not that I'm picky but more that I have a specific type of anime that I enjoy to watch. But I've watched so much of what I enjoy that it's becoming harder and harder to find new animes. So now I'm looking to try out different kinds of anime to expand the genres I like.
Jan 28, 2019 1:10 AM

Oct 2016
I pick what I watch. That's why I only have a small amount on my list. I check those that sounds interesting hoping to pull me in with the first episode, if not it will just end up on my dropped list. Which happens most of the time. Not just anime but also with dramas...
Jan 28, 2019 1:46 AM

Dec 2018
xiashenghan said:
I pick what I watch. That's why I only have a small amount on my list. I check those that sounds interesting hoping to pull me in with the first episode, if not it will just end up on my dropped list. Which happens most of the time. Not just anime but also with dramas...

dramas irl or?
------------------

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

Jan 28, 2019 1:49 AM

Oct 2016
iLbcoVE said:
dramas irl or?
------------------

As much as I want to tune out real life dramas I can't. They're following me everywhere. 。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

But what I mean are the usual Korean, Japanese and Chinese dramas that I used to love but now I choose them. ☆*.・(*ゝ∀・*)ノ
Jan 28, 2019 8:27 AM

Jan 2010
iLbcoVE said:
Your opinion on this?

Also how about you? Does an anime need to have certain things for you to add it to your PTW?

I used to be able to watch just about anything.

But now, I'm super picky and only watch anime that EXACTLY fits my preferences or/and mood.
Jan 28, 2019 8:31 AM

Oct 2014
If they're big into anime and they're picky, i view them not as preferential but short-sighted. Preferential means you're a lot more open about what you watch. If they're not big into anime and they're picky, i think it's natural since that's how i think majority of people start out.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 28, 2019 8:35 AM
Sep 2017
I'm picky I guess. I almost always just watch romance shows or action/adventure shows that have romance.
Jan 28, 2019 8:37 AM

Apr 2017
I have quite wide taste, so not really. If it has interesting synopsis, and it's not one of the few genres that I really dislike, I will give it a try. Though I do have solid requirements on quality of shows, so after giving it a try I may drop it if it's not good enough, or it just proves not to be my thing. This is less of an issue with airing series, since sparing 20 minutes/week on it is not so bad even if it's not as good, but for already finished shows that I plan to binge, I care about it considerably. Either way though, if I don't enjoy something, I drop it. So in that, I may be somewhat picky.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 28, 2019 9:55 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
My net is wide and though I can easily point out what I will and won't like, I don't stay in a certain circle of taste. Pretty sure I've liked everything across demo, genre, length, cast, and time period.
Jan 28, 2019 7:20 PM

Dec 2018
Shicchi said:
iLbcoVE said:
Your opinion on this?

But now, I'm super picky and only watch anime that EXACTLY fits my preferences or/and mood.

And if there isn't ? you gonna wait or what

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

Jan 28, 2019 8:02 PM

May 2009
I have preferences, but they're relatively lax as to whether I'll put something on my PTW.

There are several more hoops to jump through before I'll watch it though.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 28, 2019 8:03 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I wouldn't say so. I'll watch a lot of shit over practically nothing, like coming across a song on YT from the show and thinking "Wow, that's really good, I should watch that!" or just because of the MAL DB tags if I'm into them enough.

Same time, I don't pick a lot of stuff up and watch stuff kind of slowly. It's a give and take, I guess.

Jan 29, 2019 9:45 PM

Jan 2010
iLbcoVE said:
Shicchi said:

And if there isn't ? you gonna wait or what

It's been weeks since the last time I watch any anime.
2 years is the longest time I went without anime.

So yeah, I wait ;D
Jan 29, 2019 9:50 PM

Aug 2018
I'm super picky when it comes to anime because there's so many garbage shows and I don't want to waste my time

I always check the tags to make sure it doesn't have isekai/harem/romance triad of trash
Jan 29, 2019 10:04 PM

Oct 2018
Yes it does. It just needs to have a certain mature estetic,I'm sorry but I can't handle high pitch voices haha
Also the rating most of the time makes me watch something.
But always recommendations,and I guess my mood.
It also help if I get recommendations by cool people here.
But Im always open minded to watch anything,but it needs to be quality stuff.

Jan 29, 2019 10:52 PM

Dec 2016
i guess i'm kind of picky, until it comes to sports anime/manga where i watch pretty much anything. i hate when the art has massive eyes + there's a lot of fanservice though, so i'd never even consider watching those types of animes.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 31, 2019 8:33 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I watch pretty much everything. Avoid some genres, but don't exclude them entirely. Whilst some genres I'm more likely to watch.
Jan 31, 2019 8:44 AM

Jan 2017
I add every type of anime except these genres in my PTW list :-

1. Yaoi/Shounen Ai
2. Yuri/Shoujo Ai
3. Dementia
4. All Girls anime like K-On
Jan 31, 2019 8:50 AM

Aug 2012
It only needs to have waifu material.

More topics from this board

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

39 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
2 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

35 by Nurguburu »»
13 minutes ago

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - May 30

23 by Nirinbo »»
13 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Yesterday

30 by Lucifrost »»
24 minutes ago

» Most attractive seiyuus?

Mattenan - 4 hours ago

12 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.