Forums

[Update 11/10] Final Features Restored & API Development Update

New
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2018 2:53 PM

Jun 2013
awesomenettle said:
When do we get an update on API.

I've been waiting for the last 3 - 4 months, now.

Nah, we haven't possibly been waiting for this long...

*check the date* Already October !?
*check when the API has been removed* May !?

(o_O)
Oct 5, 2018 4:18 PM

Jan 2018
What's wrong with fansubs x2.
Oct 5, 2018 4:27 PM

Aug 2014
OppaiSugoi said:
More people should cancel their MAL supporter role to get DeNA to wake up.

(why people pay for a free service is beyond me, they already get ur ad revenue.)

More of a thing to give extra support and get something small back. Ad revenue isn't enough they say. Can't say I disagree with your first sentence though. If I paid for my supporter I would've cancelled it the minute I could after the fiasco
Oct 6, 2018 1:48 AM

Feb 2018
Rignak said:
awesomenettle said:
When do we get an update on API.

I've been waiting for the last 3 - 4 months, now.

Nah, we haven't possibly been waiting for this long...

*check the date* Already October !?
*check when the API has been removed* May !?

(o_O)

I've recently been looking at the features on MAL and trying to implement an API based on that - threads, users. articles, anime, manga, characters, people, forums, subforums e.t.c

Just for fun and experimenting to see how hard it would be to work on the API.
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.
Oct 6, 2018 2:53 AM
Oct 2018
awesomenettle said:

I've recently been looking at the features on MAL and trying to implement an API based on that - threads, users. articles, anime, manga, characters, people, forums, subforums e.t.c

I was just browsing the forums and got impressed by your dedication.

Practice makes perfect, if you ever happen to publish anything, I am sure everyone will find it impressive.
Oct 6, 2018 2:56 AM

Feb 2018
impressed said:
awesomenettle said:

I was just browsing the forums and got impressed by your dedication.

Practice makes perfect, if you ever happen to publish anything, I am sure everyone will find it impressive.

I'm just peddling with a simple pet project like I am always doing just this time round I decided to implement the database based on what I think MAL has.

Oct 6, 2018 2:04 PM
Dec 2010
waiting for mal updater. many new anime will air this october...
Oct 6, 2018 3:13 PM
May 2018
Beautifull
Oct 6, 2018 8:32 PM

Feb 2018
priest0231 said:

waiting for mal updater. many new anime will air this october...

I think your only hope would be convincing MAL folks to have their old API back online.

If miraculously, someone started working on the API today, they would probably not release it until maybe Feb, March, April next year.

Oct 7, 2018 8:24 AM

Oct 2008
Wait, wait, wait... So what about old shows or unlicensed shows? Why remove the fansub group listing for those? Why even bother listing those shows at all if they aren't available legally? It's just a whole host of nonsense double standards.
Oct 7, 2018 8:31 AM

Feb 2018
Actar said:

Wait, wait, wait... So what about old shows or unlicensed shows? Why remove the fansub group listing for those? Why even bother listing those shows at all if they aren't available legally? It's just a whole host of nonsense double standards.

well,

I really don't see why fansubs are -such- a huge part of this thread while they barely affect/interfere with the welfare of MAL users.
awesomenettleOct 7, 2018 8:34 AM

Oct 7, 2018 1:38 PM

Oct 2007
awesomenettle said:
well,

I really don't see why fansubs are -such- a huge part of this thread while they barely affect/interfere with the welfare of MAL users.
Fansubs are the reason MAL even exists. Educate yourself, ignorant newbie.
Oct 7, 2018 3:51 PM

Oct 2008
Fansubs section removal is a big loss. I can't stand liberal/localization subs which don't even qualify to be called a translation. Used that feature to quickly get feedback about quality of subs, will have to look for some other site now I guess.
Oct 7, 2018 8:49 PM

Aug 2007
awesomenettle said:
straykid said:

now that the fansubs section is gone I will stop downloading anime.

That's not exactly the point. The main idea is just to make a point to support the anime industry not to make a silly resolution to stay away from bootleg and torrent sites.

Also, for those who care, my English is not exactly broken, it's more or less a way of being cool.

You completely missed the sarcasm of that post. People are not going to legally watch anime just because MAL removes a fansub section.

awesomenettle said:
We want API more and we can even fix it for ourselves.

Some of us are not well up enough to be joining MAL supporter program, we don't exactly care about fansubs but we can fix API for ourselves

Fansub section existed before API did.
Oct 7, 2018 8:53 PM

Oct 2010
This is probably redundant; I haven't read all seven pages, but I assume most thread visitors haven't either, so I'll dump it into the thought-soup:

Old School Anime Club said:
Echelon | Sep 21, 7:39 PM
MAL removed the fansubs data from pages. Very annoying for us old school fans, that was always a good reference and easy way to tell what even has subs or doesn't. Guess we'll have to stick to anidb again for more facts...

Klonoa7H | Sep 21, 8:31 PM
I find that rather dumb, because fansubs still have a place in anime fandom, especially for niche or old school stuff. Dokonjo Gaeru, Granzort, Gamba no Bouken, Hidamari no Ki, Yume no Crayon Oukoku, Bosco Adventure, Dr Slump and Chibi Maruko-chan are all currently being subbed, and I don't see any of them being picked up by the big distributers anytime soon.

nDroae | Sep 21, 9:56 PM
Meanwhile list entries still have "Storage" feature where you can select "Hard Drive," "External HD," etc.

To be fair, sometimes obscure old shows do get unexpected licensed releases:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/08/13-1/discotek-announces-licenses-for-basically-everything-at-otakon
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-07-05/maiden-japan-licenses-maria-watches-over-us-hataraki-man-basquash-yumeiro-patissiere-votoms-ideon-xabungle-human-crossing-anime/.133826

However, that's a tiny drop in the ocean that is old anime.

Perhaps it could have been set up so that any anime with a licensor listed (other than dead ones like Geneon) would automatically have its fansubs hidden, but I suppose that would have taken a lot more work than simply removing them all, and licensor listings are incomplete. Easier and safer to just delete them all.

My first thought (there may not actually be any connection) was that removing fansub info is not a surprising change, considering that DeNA is a Japanese company. I once had a conversation with a Funimation representative who confirmed that in some cases, Japanese publishers would provide their own officially sanctioned subtitles, and wouldn't even allow licensing companies to write their own translations. I assume that's very rare, but the fact that it's happened at all would seem to suggest a controlling attitude from Japan: "You'll see it exactly the way we want, or not at all." Which is frustrating when I wish that someday, services like CR could simply let users load and watch their own fanmade subtitle file in sync with the official stream. Oh, but the words themselves are intellectual property! We can't have people freely distributing our sacred text, even without the video/audio part!
Oct 7, 2018 10:07 PM

Feb 2018
awesomenettle said:
Actar said:

well,

I think I might not have put myself across accurately.

The point is, I don't understand why lots of MAL users are obsessed with fansubs.

Yes, fansubs are an important part of anime industry but that cannot explain the obsession among anime fans. I doubt many Facebook users are obsessed or even like Mark Zuckerburg, lots and lots of people like and use Google(and Google products) every day Google but no-one really cares so much about the history of Google e.t.c., lots of people really like their Apple products but not so many care so much about what happens at Apple, it's history - now, those are just a few examples.

The fact that lots of forums users around here seem to worship fansubs, though...

Oct 7, 2018 10:48 PM

Oct 2008
awesomenettle said:
The point is, I don't understand why lots of MAL users are obsessed with fansubs.

Yes, fansubs are an important part of anime industry but that cannot explain the obsession among anime fans. I doubt many Facebook users are obsessed or even like Mark Zuckerburg, lots and lots of people like and use Google(and Google products) every day Google but no-one really cares so much about the history of Google e.t.c., lots of people really like their Apple products but not so many care so much about what happens at Apple, it's history - now, those are just a few examples.

The fact that lots of forums users around here seem to worship fansubs, though...

How long have you been an anime fan?
Oct 7, 2018 10:52 PM

Feb 2018
Actar said:
awesomenettle said:

I've probably been watching anime for maybe one year, just for fun and I wouldn't call myself an anime fan. Sorry to disappoint.

How is my being an anime fan or not relevant to the above comments?

Oct 7, 2018 11:02 PM

Oct 2008
awesomenettle said:
I've probably been watching anime for maybe one year, just for fun and I wouldn't call myself an anime fan. Sorry to disappoint.

Well, I asked because older anime fans would understand the importance and role of fansubs. Yes, anime is easily available nowadays, but fansubs were the only way to watch many shows as they came out. In fact, they still play an important, albeit diminished role. For older shows that don't have official licenses, for shows that have horrible official translations, fansubs fill that gap. As a database, MAL provides a way to search for those older releases or alternatives.
Oct 7, 2018 11:06 PM
Oct 2018
Actar said:
awesomenettle said:

To me this sounds like a totally objective comment.

It's quite sensible, actually. You could watch anime and enjoy it without being a fan.

Its quite possible that there is are songs/music/books/movies that you really like but you're not a fan of the artist, themself.
Oct 7, 2018 11:09 PM

Feb 2018
Actar said:
awesomenettle said:

Well, I asked because older anime fans would understand the importance and role of fansubs. Yes, anime is easily available nowadays, but fansubs were the only way to watch many shows as they came out. In fact, they still play an important, albeit diminished role. For older shows that don't have official licenses, for shows that have horrible official translations, fansubs fill that gap. As a database, MAL provides a way to search for those older releases or alternatives.

I am not disputing the role that fansubs have played in anime industry but I admittedly don't clearly understand the role they have played. Maybe I will understand with time...

I also don't understand why MAL forums users or most people on this thread are so obsessed with fansubs...

Oct 7, 2018 11:21 PM

Oct 2008
awesomenettle said:
I also don't understand why MAL forums users or most people on this thread are so obsessed with fansubs...

As I said, it was, and still is, useful to many people. Another reason is because MAL is supposed to be an unbiased database. Now they're pushing an agenda.

Of course, there are other sources for this kind of information, like fansubdb or anidb. The thing is, it's more convenient to have everything in one location.
Oct 7, 2018 11:24 PM

Feb 2018
Actar said:
awesomenettle said:

As I said, it was, and still is, useful to many people. Another reason is because MAL is supposed to be an unbiased database. Now they're pushing an agenda.

Of course, there are other sources for this kind of information, like fansubdb or anidb. The thing is, it's more convenient to have everything in one location.

Okay, fine, I was just finding it a bit strange but I think I'll give anime fans the benefit of doubt.

Oct 8, 2018 2:03 AM
Mar 2011
im quite late with the news, lucky there's another site providing info about the fansub but mostly it is regrettable that MAL have to remove the fansub section

old/known-less anime gonna be a bit hard to find now

im a part of fansub too a few years ago, seeing how the anime world moving with their simulcast or anti-piracy stuff is a bit tore in my heart. the good thing is almost all anime in season can be watched now since CR doing them

for you guys who new in the anime world, you may not know how important the fansub role are. but us who watched since god knows when, fansub are like godsend to the anime community back then especially the english one

FANSUB = TL with PASSION
CR = TL with MONEY
pick your poison then
Oct 8, 2018 2:30 AM

Feb 2018
Faylake said:
im quite late with the news, lucky there's another site providing info about the fansub but mostly it is regrettable that MAL have to remove the fansub section

im a part of fansub too a few years ago, seeing how the anime world moving with their simulcast or anti-piracy stuff is a bit tore in my heart. the good thing is almost all anime in season can be watched now since CR doing them

for you guys who new in the anime world, you may not know how important the fansub role are. but us who watched since god knows when, fansub are like godsend to the anime community back then especially the english one

FANSUB = TL with PASSION
CR = TL with MONEY
pick your poison then

So far so good, I don't really see how fansub affects the welfare of MAL users.

If you personally think that it's sad that the fansubs section has been removed and fansubs are being eclipsed from anime industry, something which has totally nothing to do with MAL but has a lot to do with anime industry, lots of anime fans like fansubs and so you think MAL should do something for fansubs e.t.c - I think you're better off in the suggestions section than crying/mourning here.

You should probably have a suggestion like MAL even doing something for fansubs other than just having a random section(I honestly had never seen the fansubs section) and so I even don't know whether it existed.

Well, I think I'll probably do the same thing about API.
awesomenettleOct 8, 2018 2:39 AM

Oct 8, 2018 8:49 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Probably and hopefully someone simply will make script to easily see who fansubs something.

:/ But I still would like the API to be back. Miss using my Taiga app :/
Oct 8, 2018 11:05 AM
Mar 2011
awesomenettle said:
Faylake said:

FANSUB = TL with PASSION
CR = TL with MONEY
pick your poison then

So far so good, I don't really see how fansub affects the welfare of MAL users.

If you personally think that it's sad that the fansubs section has been removed and fansubs are being eclipsed from anime industry, something which has totally nothing to do with MAL but has a lot to do with anime industry, lots of anime fans like fansubs and so you think MAL should do something for fansubs e.t.c - I think you're better off in the suggestions section than crying/mourning here.

You should probably have a suggestion like MAL even doing something for fansubs other than just having a random section(I honestly had never seen the fansubs section) and so I even don't know whether it existed.

Well, I think I'll probably do the same thing about API.

i just voicing my opinions no need a bit offensive there mate :v
i dont personally point it at you tho, i do it since most comment who dont care about fansub are new account
i guess that's how new anime fan attitude right now
since you can watch directly from simulcast, well at least more anime fan is all good so anime will not dying soon like fansub are :)
FaylakeOct 8, 2018 11:10 AM
Oct 8, 2018 11:25 AM

Aug 2007
awesomenettle said:
awesomenettle said:

well,

Thanks for giving me cancer with this post.

Those are some shit analogies. Fansubs are not companies, nor do they sell products. Fansubs were generally more accurate than official translations. Especially when something was dubbed since dubs have to change meanings to match mouth flaps. Even the current actual fansub groups were more accurate than Crunchyroll. Too bad Horriblesubs ruined everything by just ripping CR.
Oct 8, 2018 12:46 PM
Feb 2015
If someone could, we could create an independent site for fansub groups and anime fansub info and link it with MAL (for voting, etc)

But that would require that MAL didn't delete the fansub table from their database and they give someone a copy of it (or make it public).
Oct 8, 2018 12:49 PM
Feb 2018
I'm using MAL Official Open Beta Build Version: 0.11.13 Application Topic and i found some critical data leaking while i'm playing with source code and listening packets.

[Image of Security Vulnerability]

https://i.hizliresim.com/RDM9on.png

On image (sorry for censors but it necesarry because without censors everybody can login to my account) &password=******** is a plaint text. Hackers can listen your network activity and take all of data from this method. I think i must warn about this security Vulnerability.
Oct 8, 2018 3:06 PM

Jun 2013
Spinder5 said:
If someone could, we could create an independent site for fansub groups and anime fansub info and link it with MAL (for voting, etc)

But that would require that MAL didn't delete the fansub table from their database and they give someone a copy of it (or make it public).

Or we can use a time machine, (https://web.archive.org/web/sitemap/https://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php) though the data will be parcellar.

For some reason, I can't see the pages (they are filled by a blank space, I don't know if this come from me are the archive), but the data are still in the .html. For example, with https://web.archive.org/web/20180506005106/https://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php?id=10
I can see: Groupe Name: LunarAnime, Primary Language: English, and in "Group Projects": Ai Yori Aoshi, 3/3 user approve, Air: 16/18 users approve (the commentaries are also there).

This doesn't look really difficult (I will try to write a python script and put the data in json later, later being any time from tomorrow to four billion years), but I have no idea of the proportions of fansub pages actually in the archives.
Oct 8, 2018 3:08 PM
Feb 2015
Rignak said:
Spinder5 said:

Or we can use a time machine, (https://web.archive.org/web/sitemap/https://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php) though the data will be parcellar.

For some reason, I can't see the pages (they are filled by a blank space, I don't know if this come from me are the archive), but the data are still in the .html. For example, with https://web.archive.org/web/20180506005106/https://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php?id=10
I can see: Groupe Name: LunarAnime, Primary Language: English, and in "Group Projects": Ai Yori Aoshi, 3/3 user approve, Air: 16/18 users approve (the commentaries are also there).

This doesn't look really difficult (I will try to write a python script and put the data in json later, later being any time from tomorrow to four billion years), but I have no idea of the proportions of fansub pages actually in the archives.

If it wasnt for the idiot who posted the link here, we could have web scraped it. :(
Oct 8, 2018 4:40 PM

Feb 2011
myanimelistllc said:
As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

Let's purge all the reviews that gave scores under 9, they could hurt the industry too
2018 has been a great year for MAL
Zamion101 said:
I'm using MAL Official Open Beta Build Version: 0.11.13 Application Topic and i found some critical data leaking while i'm playing with source code and listening packets.

On image (sorry for censors but it necesarry because without censors everybody can login to my account) &password=******** is a plaint text. Hackers can listen your network activity and take all of data from this method. I think i must warn about this security Vulnerability.

quick, delete this post before they take the site down for another 2 months to fix it
Oct 8, 2018 4:47 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
Spinder5 said:
Rignak said:

If it wasnt for the idiot who posted the link here, we could have web scraped it. :(

It didn't matter, the links worked for a long enough time after the announcement, people had scraped the fansub pages already. There are html of those pages, archives of the fansub DB and userscripts to bring it back to MAL, there were threads about it on r/anime.

Also I would be surprised if DeNA is reading the posts here in the first place, I have the impression that they hate any kind of communication.
Oct 8, 2018 4:56 PM
Feb 2015
Jinbou said:
Spinder5 said:

It didn't matter, the links worked for a long enough time after the announcement, people had scraped the fansub pages already. There are html of those pages, archives of the fansub DB and userscripts to bring it back to MAL, there were threads about it on r/anime.

Also I would be surprised if DeNA is reading the posts here in the first place, I have the impression that they hate any kind of communication.

Could you message where I can find these? thanks!
Oct 8, 2018 9:19 PM

Apr 2013
Zamion101 said:

So there's even more incompetency to be had? Amazing.
Oct 8, 2018 10:33 PM

Feb 2018
Drunk_Samurai said:

Those are some shit analogies. Fansubs are not companies, nor do they sell products. Fansubs were generally more accurate than official translations. Especially when something was dubbed since dubs have to change meanings to match mouth flaps. Even the current actual fansub groups were more accurate than Crunchyroll. Too bad Horriblesubs ruined everything by just ripping CR.

I simply said you're better of crying about fansubs elsewhere, like in the suggestions section.

I am gonna set an example for you shortly.

Oct 8, 2018 11:32 PM

Jan 2013
awesomenettle said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I simply said you're better of crying about fansubs elsewhere, like in the suggestions section.

Where's the example?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 9, 2018 12:34 AM

Feb 2018
Cabron said:
awesomenettle said:

Where's the example?

Take a looks at the suggestions section, bruh.

We set the standards by example - duh

lmao

Oct 9, 2018 8:32 AM

Oct 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
awesomenettle said:

Just let it go, incorrect translations is not a topic that someone who has barely watched anime for a year can understand.
Oct 9, 2018 1:01 PM

Jun 2013
Anyway, I'm putting this here. Maybe it will be useful for someone.

On the subject of incorrect translation: do they still occur that often ? They are the reason why I don't watch anime subbed in my mother tongue and I'm probably not proficient enough in English to see all of them, but I had the feeling that they were relatively uncommon.

PS: Message for everyone: you shouldn't feed the troll.
Oct 9, 2018 7:36 PM

Aug 2007
awesomenettle said:
Cabron said:
Where's the example?

Take a looks at the suggestions section, bruh.

We set the standards by example - duh

lmao

Your thread is totally about fansubs.
Oct 10, 2018 5:34 AM

Feb 2018
Drunk_Samurai said:

I don't think so or at least this is the most relevant I could make it.

Here is the thread just in case you're reading the wrong thread https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1744695

Oct 10, 2018 7:09 AM

Nov 2009
Can you guys please, fix the goddamn APIs so I can start using MAL again. It's been half a year already and what? The most important thing that keeps me using MAL still isn't fixed.
Oct 10, 2018 9:07 AM

Feb 2015
Never even realized that a Fansubs section exists so I have 0 problems with this.

To me the only thing the site's doing so far is potentionally improving which I'm happy about.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Oct 10, 2018 9:39 AM

Feb 2018
It's quite probable that fansubs did not exist and the said MAL API didn't exist, either.

Oct 10, 2018 12:02 PM

Aug 2007
awesomenettle said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Here is the thread just in case you're reading the wrong thread https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1744695

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sarcasm

SigmaticDoc said:
Never even realized that a Fansubs section exists so I have 0 problems with this.

To me the only thing the site's doing so far is potentionally improving which I'm happy about.

Removing a helpful site section improves jack shit.
Oct 10, 2018 12:08 PM

Feb 2015
Drunk_Samurai said:
awesomenettle said:

SigmaticDoc said:

Dunno, removing something I never used and improving upon things related to what I use seems like an improvement to me.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Oct 10, 2018 2:52 PM

Oct 2018
coolio
𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐲₭𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐮 ⁂❣დ

"𝘐𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴𝘯𝘵 𝘢𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘯"
Oct 10, 2018 9:20 PM

Aug 2007
SigmaticDoc said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Dunno, removing something I never used and improving upon things related to what I use seems like an improvement to me.

Many people used it and it isn't an improvement to ever remove a feature
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

338 by HarrisonCAPA »»
33 minutes ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 12

136 by S_teric »»
8 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by badabass »»
Sep 17, 5:59 PM

» Join MAL's Moderator Team!

Kineta - Sep 12

0 by Kineta »»
Sep 12, 7:26 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by Chronowarp »»
Sep 10, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.