Forum Settings
Forums

Man beaten and dragged out of plane for refusing to leave overbooked plane

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 12, 2017 8:14 AM

Apr 2012
SpamuraiSensei said:
Between the leggings incident and now this guy, I can safely say I'll never be flying with that airline.

What they should have done is increase the incentives to voluntarily leave the plane. Offer up 2-3k and watch how many people willingly give up their seats.

Instead of doing that.. Now they're faced with lots of bad press and a lawsuit that's going to cost them thousands and thousands of dollars.
It already cost them 1 bil $ in stock.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Apr 12, 2017 8:28 AM

Mar 2017
United is losing money as we speak, GOOD.. Serves them right. i hope he sues them
Apr 12, 2017 8:31 AM

Nov 2016
If he wa actually a doctor with patients to see, couldn't they have confirmed it and choose someone else with lesser priorities?
Apr 12, 2017 8:42 AM

Nov 2011

Dao agreed to get off the plane, passenger Jayse Anspach said.
"Him and his wife, they volunteered initially," Anspach said. "But once they found out that the next flight wasn't until (Monday) at 2:30 p.m., he said, 'I can't do that. I gotta be at work.' So he sat back down."
The harder the officers tried to get the man to leave, the harder the man insisted he stay.
"He was very emphatic: 'I can't be late. I'm a doctor. I've got to be there tomorrow,' " Anspach recalled.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/travel/united-passenger-pulled-off-flight/

what we know:
Dao initially accepted taking another flight, but upon hearing he would have to wait until 2h30pm the next day, he refused, saying that he was a doctor and had an appointment he couldn't miss. (source above, as well as http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/11/travel/questions-united-trnd/)

CEO Oscar Munoz accused Dao of being "unruly" and "belligerent"
http://www.independentsentinel.com/united-ceo-says-passenger-dragged-off-plane-unruly-belligerent/

Dao was falsely accused by Courier Journal (executive editor Joel Christopher) of having a history of drug crimes (they got the wrong guy who coincidentally was also named Dao). other news copy and pasted the story without bothering to fact-check as usual.
(https://twitter.com/_ClaireConnelly/status/852036052286033921)

Dao suffered bodily injured and had to go to a local hospital to recover
(http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-united-passenger-20170411-story.html)

UA offered $800, even though they could, and should, have offered far more for customers to leave
"voluntarily" (it's capped at $1350, so even the law isn't in UA's side)
(http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/11/travel/questions-united-trnd/)

a doctor earns an average of $80/hour or more
(http://work.chron.com/average-doctor-paid-per-hour-3154.html)
the $800 UA offered was literally peanuts.

volunteer means

“someone who does something without being forced to do it.”
- Merriam-Webster‏

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/851602942037819392
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 12, 2017 8:45 AM

Oct 2016
Poor doctor, now even his past scandals are getting dragged up because of this issue.

I'm not sure why they're even mentioning the drugs and sexual assault cases he had, it's not even remotely related to the current news.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 12, 2017 8:46 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
He is a grown ass man and refused to leave the plane when asked repeatedly then when TOLD to by law enforcement. Were they suppose to delay the flight and wait for a negotiator to talk the man into leaving? No. You leave when asked, if you don't then you are moved by force. Plain and simple. People want to act like United and airport police ganged up on him and beat him with bats and shot him - which they didn't.

He has my sympathy for missing a flight but that's it.
Apr 12, 2017 8:46 AM

Nov 2011
edit: above post is proof people don't bother to read beyond OP.

_xDane_ said:
Poor doctor, now even his past scandals are getting dragged up because of this issue.
I'm not sure why they're even mentioning the drugs and sexual assault cases he had, it's not even remotely related to the current news.

they got the wrong Dao, he's not the same Dao involved in drugs and sexual assault.

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Apr 12, 2017 8:49 AM

Dec 2014
That was so cruel ..i hope the man sues the company and win... the company deserves it ...it literally treat customers like shit
Apr 12, 2017 8:51 AM

Jul 2016
AS the cold hearted jackass republican I am.... don't overbook planes then bitch when they fill lol. United stock is dropping exponentially. Goodbye
Apr 12, 2017 9:34 AM
Apr 2013
@Silverstorm
It shows what type of man he is and his reasoning for fighting the police.
@DreamingBeats
Your twitter source says it doesn't exist. It must have been deleted.
@Maiyno
This only proves he's still a doctor

It also proves he has anger issues and has poor decision-making.
@NudeBear
It was forceful removal.
@NekkoArc
They are arguably related.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Apr 12, 2017 10:11 AM

Nov 2011
Aureolus said:

Your twitter source says it doesn't exist. It must have been deleted.

twitter strikes again
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/united-airlines-twitter-users-posts-removed-flight-3411-incident-disappeared-deleted-a7678426.html
https://thenextweb.com/twitter/2017/04/11/twitter-delete-united-airlines-tweets/

they're apparently deleting negative tweets against United. i'm sure there's a good rea$$$on for that though.

edit:
http://claireconnelly.com.au/hello-humans/united-will-rough-you-up-before-it-pays-for-its-mistakes/
see update III
DreamingBeatsApr 12, 2017 10:20 AM

Apr 12, 2017 10:31 AM
Apr 2013
@DreamingBeats
That website is clearly biased, he wasn't racially profiled as they say, and they only say they may have had a mistake in identity; they also say the two doctors could in fact be the same person.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Apr 12, 2017 10:38 AM

Nov 2011
Aureolus said:
@DreamingBeats
That website is clearly biased, he wasn't racially profiled as they say, and they only say they may have had a mistake in identity; they also say the two doctors could in fact be the same person.

Dao's personal history is irrelevant, but if it turns out to be false (and the lawyers would most certainly be able to prove if that's the case), Dao could also sue the responsible parties for defamation.
of course, only Dao's families and their lawyers would be able to prove beyond doubt if they're the same or not.

>they only say they may have had a mistake in identity; they also say the two doctors could in fact be the same person.
in other words, "we are not completely sure if the information we obtained is accurate and correct, but who care, we're going to defame the chocolate out of him."

Apr 12, 2017 11:30 AM

Apr 2012
aureolus being one of those blame the victim type of people
what a surprise

>quality journalism

Apr 12, 2017 11:40 AM

Mar 2014
Lol @ the people actually defending this
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 12, 2017 12:50 PM

May 2010
Man does this just get worse and worse? Next we're going to find out he's actually a heart surgeon or some shit and that 5 patients died waiting for him.
Apr 12, 2017 1:48 PM

Apr 2013
This story has become memetastic. For some reason
Apr 12, 2017 2:39 PM

Apr 2013
JustALEX said:
hoopla123 said:

I've probably flied more times than you have, hell even more United than you have so let me explain this to you.

The Airline fucking overbooked themselves and then decided to bash a fucking customer's head in to remove him from the fucking airplane when they decided to implement a shitty strategy that all airlines partake in for profit. And this is on the passenger?

Do you even read the shit you post lmao.

And do you see me blaming the employees and saying that they should be sued individually?

And I already said in my previous post that the guy should have just followed the law enforcement, but to blame it on the fucking passenger is a complete joke.

As a matter of fact, the airline should have just kept raising the fucking money that they were offering people to leave and someone else would have left voluntarily. Instead they decided to bash a guy's head in, make him bleed from his ears and mouth and drag his body across the aisle like a bunch of savages.

When a cop tells you you gotta leave the plane, even if it's 100% unjustified....how good do you think things are gonna go if you continue to resist, hold up the plane *Breaking FAA rules BTW*?!

Look, I'm NOT saying the airliner is not at fault at all....clearly they SHOULDN'T overbook....but they do....they do it ALL the time!

At least 50% of the flights I've been to....I've heard them make the announcement that they need volunteers to give up their seats....almost always I see someone take them up on the offer because they usually offer cash or a free flight or something!

So let's start over and let's go point by point...

Point #1 The Airliner should not Overbook....we both agree.

Point #2 If no one volunteers the airliner has no choice but to pick someone at random.....I don't like this rule, but what other choice is there?

Point #3 Once the Person is chosen, that person must comply with the airliner and can NOT hold up the plane....again, this breaks FAA rules....the FAA is very strict with this stuff....

Point #4 If you have a plane that has to take off, however a passenger on said plane refuses to leave once he has been chosen.....what other option but to call the authorities can you do?!

Last Point The authorities are here....they have asked you to remove yourself from the plane, you continue to resist.....I mean, what exactly was he thinking?

That the authorities were going to have a debate about this....on a plane that is ready to takeoff?!

A sensible person removes himself and THEN files the complaint....sues the company, etc. etc.

MY beef with the guy is that he resisted....when there was no need to do so....you're not going to win against the cops, no one does, not in America.

Oh one last thing....Yeah, I guess the Airline should've raised the money a bit more....

The Airliner should definitely STOP overbooking....I can't agree with that any more than I already have....it should definitely be against the rules.

Oh you can win against the cops....especially in america!

Physically no...and even if you could it would just make things worse.
However you can definitely win in a battle of wits. Cops are dumb...especially american cops.

I have intellectually whipped the shit out of many cops. I even beat a detective once...and they don't just let any cop become a detective.

With that said you have a point. I don't blame the guy for getting beaten...as violence isn't ok just because its a cop doing it. However it was a dumb move. The winning move would be to record them telling you to leave on your smart phone...leaving peacefully then sue the shit out of them. Oh, and don't take their bribe either...as it would hurt your case.

Refuse the bribe...record the event...leave peacefully...then sue the fuck outta them. You win, and you don't get your teeth kicked it...its the best move.

Apr 12, 2017 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
This can make good PR.

United Airlines.

Our service is so good, our customers refuse to leave.
removed-userApr 12, 2017 4:00 PM
Apr 12, 2017 4:51 PM

Nov 2011
on a more positive news, they reportedly refunded the tickets for all passengers on the flight.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/04/12/united-refund-fares-all-flight-3411-passengers/100384450/

if they simply apologized first thing and didn't blame the passenger, they wouldn't have been in such a mess. i mean, they wouldn't have made the situation worse like they did.

Apr 12, 2017 6:34 PM

Jan 2013
I'm not even surprised anymore at how some of you are actually defending the airline.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Apr 13, 2017 8:49 AM
Apr 2014
JustALEX said:
God, what a fucking idiot!

I hope he likes being BLACK LISTED, getting arrested, and more than likely paying a fine for his petulant behavior.

Jesus Christ....why can't adults act like fucking adults?!

Yes, it sucks that you lost your seat....DEAL WITH IT!

You don't act like a child, and make the situation a million times worse.

Oh and the airline was offering money + hotel?!

Jesus....I would've taken that shit and gladly given up my seat!

This guy's a fucking moron all around!

You are super hungry and decide to queue for a chesseburger on McDonalds. A few minutes later a employee walk up to you and ask to buy the cheeseburger back from you because he is hungry too. When you tell him NO, two guards walk up and beat you down.

How is that his fault?
/Peregrintook
Apr 13, 2017 12:12 PM

Dec 2009
That $800 is voucher, NOT cash. You probably can't use it except for buying their tickets again. But you should always be grateful!
Apr 13, 2017 12:49 PM

Mar 2008
bottle said:
That $800 is voucher, NOT cash. You probably can't use it except for buying their tickets again. But you should always be grateful!

Actually legally they have to offer cash if you ask for it.
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-09-04/bumped-due-to-overbooking-airlines-owe-you-money-not-vouchers
Apr 13, 2017 1:13 PM

Jun 2016
The dude posed no physical threat whatsoever, so there's no real excuse for resorting to violence in this case.I was sure that members of the human race were at least intelligent enough to have just a glimmer of rational thinking stuck in their brains but it seems I was wrong.
Doesn't matter what the dude's line of work is or whatever, that's not the point, that is not how you handle a situation like that unless you're mentally inferior to an orangutan with half a brain.I don't get why people are trying to defend those people, this is bordering wanton violence pretty much.
Apr 13, 2017 6:58 PM

Mar 2008
His lawyer says he is probably going to sue
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ual-passenger-idUSKBN17F1WT
Apr 19, 2017 10:30 AM

Aug 2007

At least it will be a legit lawsuit for once.
Apr 19, 2017 1:31 PM

Mar 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Actually a lot of those stupid lawuits you hear about are just lies spread by the company being sued or the media that distorts the facts.
Apr 19, 2017 1:35 PM

May 2010
Hopefully he does. He's probably financially stable but this is kind of more than that. This isn't some bullshit here and is a major concern. If anything the lawsuit would serve to improve their image at this point, showing that they've indeed been punished which will give them the opportunity to put out a statement saying that they will ensure immediate improvements will be made as to how employees treat customers.
Apr 19, 2017 1:38 PM

Feb 2010
traed said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Actually a lot of those stupid lawuits you hear about are just lies spread by the company being sued or the media that distorts the facts.

yes welcome to corp america where companies are considered people but can't be tried for the same things as people.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 20, 2017 9:55 AM

Aug 2007
traed said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

You mean like somebody suing somebody because hot coffee is hot?
Apr 21, 2017 8:30 AM

Dec 2016
*Cue dramatic movie intro voice*
In a world, gone horribly wrong, one airline, struggles for freedom. First it was a brutal beat down, then, when you least expect it, those sneaky ass scorpions attack. Now watch as one United pilot fights her inner demons in United Airlines III: Hell or Highwater. The Reckoning.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/89333302/When-a-United-pilot-ranted-about-Trump-Clinton-and-divorce-her-passengers-fled

SoverignApr 21, 2017 8:38 AM
Apr 22, 2017 11:56 PM

Dec 2007
DreamingBeats said:
UA offered $800, even though they could, and should, have offered far more for customers to leave
"voluntarily" (it's capped at $1350, so even the law isn't in UA's side)
(http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/11/travel/questions-united-trnd/)
The $1350 is not a cap. The regulation actually says that, if the delay is over 2 hours, a bumped passenger is entitled to at least $1350 OR 4 times the price of their ticket, whichever is less. Also, the official DOT website explicitly states that this is the minimum required required compensation. Put another way: $1350 is the highest the minimum required compensation can be. There is no restriction against offering more. Indeed, as a result of this incident, Delta is now authorizing up to $9950.

Also, the rule only applies to passengers involuntarily bumped. There are no regulations regarding what the airline can offer to those who volunteer. And indeed, if the average ticket price were $200 or less, there would be little incentive for the airline to offer more than $800, as that would be the regulatory minimum.

traed said:
bottle said:

Actually legally they have to offer cash if you ask for it.
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-09-04/bumped-due-to-overbooking-airlines-owe-you-money-not-vouchers
Correction. You're only entitled to cash if you're bumped involuntarily. The $800 being cited was an offer for volunteers. There are exactly zero regulations regarding the form or amount of compensation that can be offered to those who voluntarily relinquish their seats. The current regulations only apply to those who are involuntarily bumped.

Based on simple economic and business principles, the only way United (or any other airline) could be expected to give cash to a volunteer would be if the volunteer managed to negotiate it. And this assumes the line employees are even allowed to make that decision.
Apr 23, 2017 12:08 AM

Mar 2008
ErwinJA said:
Correction. You're only entitled to cash if you're bumped involuntarily. The $800 being cited was an offer for volunteers. There are exactly zero regulations regarding the form or amount of compensation that can be offered to those who voluntarily relinquish their seats. The current regulations only apply to those who are involuntarily bumped.

Based on simple economic and business principles, the only way United (or any other airline) could be expected to give cash to a volunteer would be if the volunteer managed to negotiate it. And this assumes the line employees are even allowed to make that decision.

I guess so
Shhhhh dot ruin my dreams of a life of making cash bumping myself off of flights.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.