Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of Sports Anime, in general?

New
Mar 29, 2016 10:54 AM

Jan 2016
Also, what do you think makes a good sports anime?

--

(I just finished the 2nd season of Haikyuu!! and seeing that there is no thread about this question yet... haha)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 29, 2016 10:58 AM
Nov 2014
I've only ever seen one sports anime, and that was Bamboo Blade. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with anime, and I think the producers' decision to focus on the impact the sports had on the characters and their subsequent development was much better than focusing on the intricacies of the sport itself. It's something I'd like to see a lot more of.

Dec 2015
Im not into irl sports in general (except hockey, good sht), but sports anime as of this moment doesnt look appealing unless its combined with funny af comedy that goes along with.

Mar 2015
ehh.... i like it when it well executed. i hate it when it bad executed. like most any other genre.

what make sports anime good?

the intensitivity is what most important because it's what make sport entertaining in general.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 2013
Sports anime are good when they're not about the sports

Get what I'm sayiiiiin?
gone bai bai
Mar 29, 2016 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
Abt sports anime,(I said this in many threads), I want something which deals with the dark side of sports, like drugs, depression, etc. Kinda LAnce Armstrong the animation. There are many bishi-baits out there.

Abt the second question, ping pong is the only answer, but it is much beyond than sports for me tbh. So I guess haikyuu!. Captures emotion perfectly.
Mar 29, 2016 11:02 AM

Apr 2014
Well, 2 of my favorite shows are Sports anime, so I guess you can already say what my opinion on that show.

Mar 29, 2016 11:03 AM

Jan 2016
Mkim said:

Get what I'm sayiiiiin?

Well, that can also be the case(with Chihayafuru)... but Haikyuu, for example, is a great example of a show that focuses only with volleyball. It actually makes you the viewer understand the sport while presenting it in a manner that makes you pump adrenaline every time you watch it.
Mar 29, 2016 11:03 AM

Jul 2014
It's the best genre. And to me it operates along a spectrum where at one end the series's main focus is on the sport, and at the other end at the other end the focus is on the characters with the sport they play not being that important.
Mar 29, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2013
Their main selling point are their characters because most of the time, the matches revolving around whatever sport it is aren't really exciting and adrenaline pumping which I am okay with actually because I value characters more.
Mar 29, 2016 11:22 AM

Mar 2016
I think they look boring af .Don't wanna try them .
Mar 29, 2016 11:22 AM

Jul 2015
one of my least favorite genres
it just not for me
Mar 29, 2016 11:23 AM

Feb 2010
I love the good ones and the mediocre ones and want to eventually watch all subbed anime of that genre.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 29, 2016 11:25 AM
Jan 2013
CapitalistGod said:
Mkim said:

Get what I'm sayiiiiin?

Well, that can also be the case(with Chihayafuru)... but Haikyuu, for example, is a great example of a show that focuses only with volleyball. It actually makes you the viewer understand the sport while presenting it in a manner that makes you pump adrenaline every time you watch it.
Dang, I haven't checked neither, even if I plan to
uh...
I don't really know how to develop this then, but I'll do it anyways
Sport = competition, and as it's a competition, they wish to win whichever game they're playing
That leads to hardwork, seeing the characters working, here you could call, training, for their ultimate objective is noble, I can respect that. Even if it's not real, I can respect that, I gain respect for the characters.
Training usually would mean there's a "Team", which means there's camaraderie, basically, "FRIENDSHIP!". Buddies working together towards the same noble objective.
Then there's the games, meaning there's other teams or enemies.
But it doesn't mean they're villains, they're just other people who wishes for the same that the main team do. That's also nice to see, because on the game they're the bane of the leads existance, but outside the game they can be really good friends, and if they're enemies, it all happens in a organized, respectful way. "Sportsmanship" is a strong word, and it's noble as well.
Basically, a sport series can easily bring out to the table frindship, rivarly, hard work and moving moments.
It's all really good stuff, you can easily "feel" (not like, uhh, das sad, more like, actually feel feel) when seeing a sports anime happen
They're also pretty decent at *Forgot the word used when something happens that who knows what will happen next?*... Handgliding? Something like that

So it's not really about the sport in hand, but what the "sport" brings to the table.

^ That've mighta been poorly developed, but I'm eating atm so, uhhhhhhhh
gone bai bai
Mar 29, 2016 11:25 AM

Mar 2014
Ping Pong was amazing, I'm watching Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo now and both are good, so I guess I like them so far, not really into fujosports though. They have the potential for the best "fight" scenes and revolve around characters.
Mar 29, 2016 11:26 AM
Mar 2013
I enjoy them more often than not. Though certain aspects of the genre become very repetitive
Mar 29, 2016 11:27 AM

Jan 2016
kamisama751 said:
There are good sport shows but most of them are like: We are going to form a club/team and lets aim for the #1 with hot blooded teenagers. This genre's core theme hasn't really changed since it's birth and it will get very boring if you (or me only) watch too many of them. Looking at other genres there are always variety in theme but not this one. By the way, Haikyuu is boring.

Hmmmm.... I don't really have a problem with that repetitive theme. It does it work, it pumps me up.

Production I.G with Haikyuu and Kuroko nailed the perfect pace for it too.

Mkim said:
CapitalistGod said:

uh...
Sport = competition, and as it's a competition, they wish to win whichever game they're playing
That leads to hardwork, seeing the characters working, here you could call, training, for their ultimate objective is noble, I can respect that. Even if it's not real, I can respect that, I gain respect for the characters.
Training usually would mean there's a "Team", which means there's camaraderie, basically, "FRIENDSHIP!". Buddies working together towards the same noble objective.
But it doesn't mean they're villains, they're just other people who wishes for the same that the main team do. That's also nice to see, because on the game they're the bane of the leads existance, but outside the game they can be really good friends, and if they're enemies, it all happens in a organized, respectful way. "Sportsmanship" is a strong word, and it's noble as well.
Basically, a sport series can easily bring out to the table frindship, rivarly, hard work and moving moments.
It's all really good stuff, you can easily "feel" (not like, uhh, das sad, more like, actually feel feel) when seeing a sports anime happen
They're also pretty decent at *Forgot the word used when something happens that who knows what will happen next?*... Handgliding? Something like that

So it's not really about the sport in hand, but what the "sport" brings to the table.

So, that's what you mean... You nailed the essence of a sports anime though... lol
Mar 29, 2016 11:28 AM

May 2014
The only sports anime I've seen are Free and Kuroko no Basuke, but from what I've gathered, a lot of the more recent sports anime garner tons of female fan girls because of all the eye candy and general man service.
Then again, that's to be expected when there's an anime with tons of ripped high school guys bonding over sports and feelings. Not a bad thing by any means.
Then there are loadsa male fans as well, because of cool guys doing cool things...basically, they can appeal to almost anyone!
I guess they're pretty cool, but I feel like it's a genre that could wear itself out easily...especially when it comes down to character tropes.

They are getting really popular though, so maybe once basketball, swimming, volleyball, rugby, football, tennis, ice skating, pin pong, boxing etc. etc. we'll get some anime about a really obscure sport....like
...kite flying??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2016 11:30 AM

Feb 2015
They are enjoyable to watch despite being generic.
As for what makes a good sports anime, I have no idea.
Mar 29, 2016 11:33 AM

Jun 2012
Up to a few years ago, I wasn't a fan of the genre, but nowadays it's become my favourite genre alongside slice of life.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 29, 2016 11:33 AM
Jan 2013
CapitalistGod said:
Mkim said:
uh...

So, that's what you mean... You nailed the essence of a sports anime though... lol
HAHAHA
Yeah yeah, I understand what I just did, maybe I didn't really had to

Well, no regrets
gone bai bai
Mar 29, 2016 11:36 AM

Apr 2015
I think every sports anime should pay respect to the history of the sport. Hajime no Ippo makes references to real-world boxers, techniques, styles, punches, etc. I see a lot of anime that don't do that. Oh, and the rise in fujobait in these shows don't help.

Everything else a sports anime needs are things that every anime needs. Fleshed-out and believable characters, driving narrative, clean animation, etc.
Mar 29, 2016 11:39 AM

Nov 2015
I honestly don't think I've seen a sports anime myself but I'm guessing a lot of old sports movies were so good.
Being in a team sport would obviously have quite a bit of chemistry and drama among the team and watching it on film is just as exciting.

I also kinda think that there's just a bit of that self-insert element in there.
I mean we all have dreamt in succeeding in a team sport, becoming a star at some point in our lives, right?
Mar 29, 2016 11:41 AM

Dec 2014
Sports anime can be cool and bad depending on how it's executed :D as for what makes a good sports anime, well the answer is rather simple.
Entertaining, likeable and good characters.
Intense matches.
Hilarious moments
Training arcs
As less asspulls as possible (Aka as less like KnB s3 as possible)
The bad guys are likeable as hell and are portrayed like a team in opposition... Not a bad guy. Though there can be some evil teams ;-;

Hajime no Ippo is the best sports anime ever IMHO, so I'd recommend everyone and anyone to watch it. Oh and Haikyuu!! Good shit. Love that, lucky you, I haven't watched the second season ;-; I'll be binge watching s2 and s3 together :D
Thinking.....
Mar 29, 2016 11:44 AM

Jan 2008
I always enjoy the beginning where the main character or someone shows off their unique ability, whether it be super power related or actual skill, but it does tend to get boring as it goes on which I tend to drop part way through.

I do quite like the strong main character joins a weak school trope though. Always fun to see the expressions of the crowds when the weak school wins or the character does something amazing.
Mar 29, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
I like them for the same reasons I like (fighting) Shounen too, minus the superpowers.
I like watching passionate people fight for what they want to achieve I guess? Giving their best, overcoming troubles. I also enjoy the friendship and rivalry aspect... Just like in fighting shounen, as I said.

Well, they are pretty generic but most people like to watch some kind of rather simple series. I don't think it's a bad thing, I mean that genre kind of naturally has its limits. But I would wish to see characters with a bit more.. complexity.
Mar 29, 2016 11:48 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's bad on a conceptual level because what makes sports exciting is the fact that anything can happen. You feel happy when your favorite team scores because its an explosion of relief and joy, and you feel down when they get a goal gets scored against them because it's instant disappointment. However, it's still an undeniable fact that took place. In fiction, this does not apply in the same way, because it's all scripted. Plot armor quite simply ruins what makes sports fun. And not just that, but there's also the legitimacy of it all. Yes, you can still throw in curveballs in fiction by having unexpected results of matches etcetera, but the difference is that you won't be able to take it seriously in the same way. If a low-tier team was to beat a top-tier one IRL, it'd be a huge upset that would shock people. But in fiction, it'd only make you shake your head and think "yeah right, that's so forced", because it wasn't fate or some amazing performance that made it end up like that, it was just the author that decided it all by him/herself. And this is just an unavoidable problem with sports in fiction. Not just for anime but for any medium. And because of that it's one of very few genres I really can't appreciate in anime as well as I would like. That being said there are still several sports anime I have really enjoyed, but these problems still drags them down immensely

I like it more when it's about exotic stuff though. Like Chihayafuru because I have never seen Karuta anywhere else so I have no real life comparison to make in my head when watching it
Mar 29, 2016 11:49 AM
Feb 2015
best genre ever wish it had atleast one per season
Mar 29, 2016 11:53 AM

Mar 2015
Sports anime are the same as every other anime, except it has sports.
Mar 29, 2016 11:55 AM

Nov 2013
Even though I don't care about sports somehow I really like sports anime and a lot of them are some of my favorite shows. Not sure how it happened.
Mar 29, 2016 11:58 AM

Oct 2012
Sports is my favourite genre.
Likeable characters that develop as a person/player throughout the series would make it good.
Mar 29, 2016 11:58 AM

Aug 2010
It depends. I'm not that much into Haikyuu! ... But it's not bad.

In general though, I tend to like this genre, it's usually full of rebonds and is usually pretty exciting. On the other hand, some sports anime are making a really great entrance as a first season but turn into a shoujo/shounen ai in the second season which kinda destroys everything...
Mar 29, 2016 12:01 PM

Feb 2013
Had a sports anime phase, but feel a bit burnt out now. I really liked Kurobas and YowaPeda, wasn't a big fan of Haikyuu though for some reason. I mean, it was objectively good, I just didn't like it. I dunno. Sports anime are okay.
Mar 29, 2016 12:02 PM

Jul 2015
They're so dramatic. That's what makes them fun to watch!
Mar 29, 2016 3:02 PM

Sep 2013
As a sports fan I really enjoy watching sports anime, because it condenses the experience and excitement that fans are getting during several years with their favourite clubs, into a couple of cours. We just need more football anime. Both real football and whatever the americans are playing as long as the main team is red and white or green and gold respectively.
Mar 29, 2016 3:13 PM

Jul 2015
well there are many amazing sport anime. but also a few really repetetive ones (major). basically they are often good when there are other genre mixed in (haikyuu,kuroko/comedy; cross game/romance)
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 29, 2016 3:25 PM

Nov 2012
I like Cross game, Hajime ippo and Kuroko no basuke more than the Haikyuu and Diamond ace type of sport anime.

Edit: Also Hajime ippo first season is the best sport anime without question.
Mar 29, 2016 5:14 PM

Oct 2015
Boring, most if not all have the same plot line.
1. Team has no members
2. Team gains few members
3. Members train, win a contest
4. Face rival and lose
5. Train again
6. Face rival in some sort of tournament and win
7. Collect money

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Mar 29, 2016 5:28 PM

Aug 2014
I quite like sports anime, not that I've seen that many. Watched Kuroko no basket seasons 1 and 2, A few episodes of Prince of Tennis, Little busters (although I don't personally see it as a sports anime.), Air Gear (is roller-blading a sport?), Immortal Grand Prix and An no Kanata no Four Rhythm. Personally would like to watch more sports anime but its not something I would go out of my way to look for though.
Mar 29, 2016 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
I don't like it, bores me pretty quickly. Like in many other types of shows though I think the characters are what's most important.
Mar 29, 2016 5:53 PM
Oct 2014
I'm not a big fan of sports anime, although I'll stop short of saying I dislike it. Mostly I'm just neutral.

Sports alone won't appeal to me. It has to have something else going for it, such as fantasy (e.g. Walkure Romanze) or zany humor (e.g. Softenni).
Mar 29, 2016 5:55 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
CapitalistGod said:
Also, what do you think makes a good sports anime?

--

(I just finished the 2nd season of Haikyuu!! and seeing that there is no thread about this question yet... haha)

When the TV adaptation for Keijo!!!!!!!! is out, then you'll definitely have an answer from me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 29, 2016 6:01 PM

Feb 2014
I'm sure they are fun, I'm just not looking forward to watching one ATM.
Mar 29, 2016 6:18 PM

Mar 2016
A good sport anime to me generally needs intense games with good character growth.

Nice comedy is also appreciated.

Mar 29, 2016 8:24 PM

Jun 2015
Lest favourite genre. Everytime I hear some secret move executed in a basketball/football/baseball shit I feel like I want to hurl. It's not motherfuckin martial arts for fucks sake. When it comes to Chihayafuru and stuff and others with no bullshit then I'm perfectly peachy.
Mar 29, 2016 8:30 PM

Apr 2014
Dreadfully boring and uneventful, even though statistically the genre has one of the highest mean scores for me thanks to the only two sports anime I've completed, Ping Pong and Redline.
Mar 29, 2016 8:32 PM

Jan 2013
Their one of the most consistent genres constantly producing shows that many people like. Honestly, a lot of people that don't like them probably didn't play sports much when they were younger.
Mar 29, 2016 8:48 PM

Aug 2015
I like to practice sports IRL, but I don't watch any except some major events such as the Super Bowl (watching sports on TV bores me, in general). So, I'm not interested in watching anime series that are based on sports either. Still, I might watch an anime based on a certain sport if it's one that I do not know much about and thus, it does intrigue me.

Now, I've seen plenty of sports anime in the top 100 or so, of the best TV series on MAL. Hence, I guess that there's probably some decent animes portraying sports. But, I can't say much more than that, since I've never watched any anime series of this genre and can't criticize them because of that.
Mar 29, 2016 9:35 PM

Dec 2015
not so good, I'm into basketball because of Slam Dunk but nowadays anime doesn't get me much enjoyment watching them

Mkim said:

Get what I'm sayiiiiin?

no, explain please?
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Mar 29, 2016 9:40 PM
Jan 2013
Joy4ever said:
not so good, I'm into basketball because of Slam Dunk but nowadays anime doesn't get me much enjoyment watching them

Mkim said:

Get what I'm sayiiiiin?

no, explain please?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1495985&show=0#msg45375416
gone bai bai
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 5 hours ago

14 by ame »»
34 seconds ago

» Say, how does an anime look like on an HD CRT television from the early to mid 2000's or a rear projection TV manufactured around the same time period?

MaximumHolder500 - 3 hours ago

1 by alshu »»
4 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

16 by Walter_White18 »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are there so many anime that start with the letter D and sound like complete gibberish

guoc - Yesterday

26 by yuckcrae »»
5 minutes ago

» Love live

Vapor_AU - Jun 1

34 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.