Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 2, 2014 4:28 AM

Oct 2013
It was perfect.

Apr 6, 2014 2:12 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Amazing OVA. What a great account Ilse left behind..
Quite sad, but now it's a key piece of info to know more about the nature of titans.

Loved Hanji's attitude; almost killing Oluo twice. XD
Good to see Erwin gives the permission to capture titans.

Levi was badass as always.

Next episode needs to be out soon!

Apr 10, 2014 12:31 AM
Mar 2013
Loved the OVA, and the second one came out yesterday! Can't wait for it to be subbed :D

I don't get one thing though. If Hanji and the rest of them knew that this particular titan said "Ymir-sama". Then wouldn't they try to find out more about the name Ymir? Like wouldn't they eventually find out that there is someone called Ymir near them and then question or suspect her/keep an eye on her as a result of this new information?

I haven't read the manga, but know of some spoilers here and there. So I'm not sure if this was addressed in the manga.

EDIT: ALSO, I just quickly read chapter 18.5 as the ova was based on that chapter. it didn't show this special titan being killed, yet in the ova, it was. Hmm what would be the reason?
AseretApr 10, 2014 12:35 AM
Apr 11, 2014 6:09 PM

Jun 2008
Aseret said:
Loved the OVA, and the second one came out yesterday! Can't wait for it to be subbed :D

I don't get one thing though. If Hanji and the rest of them knew that this particular titan said "Ymir-sama". Then wouldn't they try to find out more about the name Ymir? Like wouldn't they eventually find out that there is someone called Ymir near them and then question or suspect her/keep an eye on her as a result of this new information?

I haven't read the manga, but know of some spoilers here and there. So I'm not sure if this was addressed in the manga.

EDIT: ALSO, I just quickly read chapter 18.5 as the ova was based on that chapter. it didn't show this special titan being killed, yet in the ova, it was. Hmm what would be the reason?

The anime just expanded the details on the manga so it's definitely considered canon since quite an abundant of changes are suggested by the the author himself and he approved the changes. The reason why Hanji and the Levi squad didn't found out about Ymir because they were all occupied with something else then and they didn't suspect it was anyone from ther surroundings most likely, Ymir was only a fresh recruit then so Levi squad wouldn't know them anyway because they don't interact with one and another. Btw, Ymir's name was never ever mentioned in the series until much later on.
EstherellaApr 11, 2014 6:15 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2014 5:20 PM
Mar 2013
Estherella said:
The anime just expanded the details on the manga so it's definitely considered canon since quite an abundant of changes are suggested by the the author himself and he approved the changes. The reason why Hanji and the Levi squad didn't found out about Ymir because they were all occupied with something else then and they didn't suspect it was anyone from ther surroundings most likely, Ymir was only a fresh recruit then so Levi squad wouldn't know them anyway because they don't interact with one and another. Btw, Ymir's name was never ever mentioned in the series until much later on.

Ahh okay, that makes sense. But surely, the name Ymir should have stuck at the back of Hanji's mind til present.. but then again, I suppose you're right that a lot of things are happening so they're occupied with that. I really should read the manga, but at the same time, I liked how the anime surprised me every episode.. but it's gonna be hard to wait a year or more for a season 2 :P
Apr 14, 2014 10:44 PM

Jun 2008
Aseret said:
Estherella said:

Ahh okay, that makes sense. But surely, the name Ymir should have stuck at the back of Hanji's mind til present.. but then again, I suppose you're right that a lot of things are happening so they're occupied with that. I really should read the manga, but at the same time, I liked how the anime surprised me every episode.. but it's gonna be hard to wait a year or more for a season 2 :P

Hehe, you won't be disappointed then :) Lot of mysteries are being unraveled in the series~! Hope to see a second season that is on-par if not better than the first season :3 Hope you'll have wonderful days~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2014 1:14 AM

Feb 2013
So I guess Titans can speak. Myybe not all of them but maybe some. Damn. I cringed when she was in between the teeth.
Apr 27, 2014 3:00 PM

Jul 2013
well i guess it was good but i don't get why weren't those words said by the titan mentioned on the tv series
May 2, 2014 8:51 PM

Jun 2008
retepeters said:
well i guess it was good but i don't get why weren't those words said by the titan mentioned on the tv series

That is because the tv series hasn't even progressed that far in the story. Should the second season comes, it'll be mentioned again.
May 9, 2014 10:08 AM

Aug 2007
Wow, as an anime-only viewer, this episode did more to shed light on the Titans than the whole first season combined. The Titan was clearly reluctant to eat Ilse; his urge to fight it was somewhat humanizing, and even more so by preserving her body in a safe place, as well as attempting to get her out. Makes me think Titans are just a human experiment gone wrong and they actually are mutated people. Ah, I'm tempted to spoil myself, but will wait patiently.
May 18, 2014 4:23 AM

Jan 2012
Love love loved it.

I wanted to read all the reactions on this but only skimmed because I'm not a manga reader but WOW so much more mystery with just one extra ep. And I just found out there were OVAs. No idea how happy I was. Waiting 2+ years for a new season is brutal but this was an amazing find (for me anyways). I expected bad animation but it was pretty damn good.

The story was intense and mysterious and my favorite part was just seeing Levi's crew again. I was a really big fan of them and seeing how this may be the last time I'll see them animated/voiced makes me sad. I wish they could make a spin off series with Levi Super Squad to keep us occupied until season 2.

Oh extra comment, no one else mentioned I don't think but I loved the save Levi made when he cut the Titan's arm. The comic relief was hilarious as well. I just like Levi because he's such a unique character but he's actually a good person. He always looks out for his friends. One of my favorite anime characters ever.
GabranthMay 18, 2014 4:38 AM

May 22, 2014 11:50 AM

Aug 2010
So we get to know more about those damn titans courtesy of Ilse. I didn't expect that titans could talk in one way or the other. Hanji's character is displayed perfectly too.

Seeing Levi's squad was a plus for this OVA. TvT. Happy at the same time sad.

I wish they could shed more light about those titans. Damn can wait for the second season!!!
May 27, 2014 8:34 AM

Jun 2009
ibrahim2712 said:
Thalandor46 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
He bit his tongue because he was talking while riding a horse, he always does that. Remember in the series?

Honestly, no, I don't remember. It's only vaguely familiar now that it's been brought to my attention. Even so, that was ridiculously over dramatic for a tongue bite. His head snaps back, a massive amount of blood explodes in front of him, and he falls back out of frame. It looked like a ninja ran by and decapitated him. I thought for sure he was grabbed by an unseen titan that was going to be relevant later in the story.

How do you not remember that, he did it like 4 times, it was a running joke throughout the series.

It was supposed to be that he bites his tongue, because he changes his speech to mimic Levi's voice, and it never works out.
Jun 10, 2014 8:40 PM

Sep 2012
I liked this ova. The comic relief was nicely done and not over used like as in the second ova and Levi is bad ass as per usual.
Jun 20, 2014 4:46 PM
Jun 29, 2014 10:38 AM

Jan 2014
Always great to see Hanji in action.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 11, 2014 5:33 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, just wow. This series just amazes me so much, and this OVA, my goodness. The titan speaking, preserving Ilse's body. And 'Ymir-sama'. My, my. Another thing I absolutely love about this series is, that it just makes you want to brainstorm and discuss, and I thought I had so many mysteries to think about after the first season, but just this one episode of the OVA, it just blew me away. It was good to see more of Hanji, Erwin, Levi and his squad again *sighs*, also, Ilse's seiyuu was really good too.
Levi: If you want to end up as titan feces, I won't stop you.
Hanji: Titans don't defecate. After all, they don't have digestive systems. *crazy maniac smile*

Jul 12, 2014 4:30 AM

Mar 2014
So, I finally watched this, in preparation for Season 2...
Man, this is just crazy! A talking Titan?!
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!
Awesome stuff.
I hope they delve even more into this kind of stuff for Season 2.
::End of Transmission::

Aug 6, 2014 11:46 AM

Jul 2014
Hanji keeps beeing one of my favorites characters of the series, she's so cool.
That "Ymir-sama" things is not helping my urge to know more about the story, who the hell is Ymir?
Anyway, amazing OVA, also, good to see Petra again.
Aug 6, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2012
Arkthur_us said:
That "Ymir-sama" things is not helping my urge to know more about the story, who the hell is Ymir?
The girl who is around Christa most of the time, you'll see more of her in season 2.
Aug 20, 2014 7:54 AM

Dec 2013
Damn, I forgot how great cast of this series is and how brutal it is.
The last OST was amazing.
Sep 21, 2014 1:21 AM
May 2012
Fucking finally!! Now, I can finally watch these OVAs. This one is OAD, though.
I didn't even miss the opening song, because I hear it everywhere back then.
Good to see "Team Levi" again T^T Auro/Oluo always fail to mimic Levi's awesomeness ahahaha. Petra and her voice is <3 Hanji is still amusing to watch. I love her voice, too.
After all this time, I thought Ilse was a man. So, she is a woman, huh. I admire her. She didn't give up. Her weapon is a pen and paper.
I thought that Titan was cute when he was kneeling, but then, he begun tearing his skin. I was like: Awww.......WOAH WHAT THE FUCK!!
Too bad cause I was already spoiled about Ymir's true identity back then.
Impressive episode. On to the next one :3
Oct 29, 2014 9:49 PM

Oct 2010
Ilse's determined as hell. She's an impressive character, just like all females in SnK
Nov 23, 2014 10:30 AM

Dec 2013
poor ilse :'(
Nov 26, 2014 12:18 AM

Apr 2009
best out of the 3.
Dec 20, 2014 12:42 PM

Apr 2013
How intriguing, that Titan spoke and apparently tried to resist its nature and kill Ilse. I wonder if we'll see more speaking Titans in season 2.
Feb 14, 2015 6:03 PM

Dec 2012
Aww man, the opening was so nostalgic. Reminds me of when I replayed it 100 times per day back when this was first airing.

Wow, that moment between Ilse and the titan was mind blowing. Especially the face tearing, I wonder if he was listening to her and trying to kill himself. It seemed like that tree played a significant role in the titan recognizing her as this "Ymir-sama", as he went to kill her the moment she removed herself from it. This actually made me look up the mythology of Ymir to see if there's any possible hint or connection, I just love how the mystery thickens.

Hanji is a complete quack and I'm loving it. It was sad to see the rest of the gang again ever so briefly. This was definitely on par with the rest of the series, hyping me like mad for season 2.
Feb 19, 2015 10:41 AM

Jan 2015
For an OVA this was pretty good. (YAY MORE LEVI cough)
Quite a nice little backstory for why they had those captured titans.
Jun 4, 2015 2:17 PM

Jun 2012
Ah finally an adaption of this important story :)
What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power and people who flatter them hide in safe places and extol war, force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, then send them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war with the Empire, mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites? - Yang Wenli
Jun 6, 2015 11:44 AM

Jul 2014
4/5
Jun 13, 2015 9:12 AM
Feb 2015
Wow very interesting. That titan was trying to restrain himself from eating her. He was respectful and everything. Too bad she died, and if they captured that specific titan, they could have used him.
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jul 19, 2015 2:57 PM

Apr 2015
Ooo the titan spoke and wow Ilse actually wrote to the very end o.o
Jul 21, 2015 9:32 AM

Jul 2015
Interesting OVA to be sure. I did not expect the titan to talk! I didn't know who Ymir was, but wow, from the other comments here I now know that she's the one always around Christa!

With the titan showing respect the way he did, I suspect that is a huge hint regarding future events to come in season 2. Craziness! 4/5
Nov 17, 2015 4:51 AM

Nov 2014
Titan's can TALK?! That's some useful info!
(Also, why did that Titan know who Ymir was? Hmm...)
Too bad they couldn't have captured that titan...If they'd gotten THAT one, they might have gotten more useful info out of it.
And if Ilse had just calmed down a bit when talking to the titan, he might not have gone cray cray and bit her head off...But I guess I can understand her being afraid in a situation like that.
Dec 5, 2015 5:36 AM

Sep 2014
Poor Ilse to think that she kept writing even in that position ;-;
I feel like she could've survived if she just kept her cool, easier said than done though I guess .-.
Hanji apologizing and killing him at the same time hahah xD
Really great OVA.
nerfxDec 5, 2015 6:18 AM
Jan 4, 2016 12:07 PM

Dec 2015
"Hey, Levi?" "no." hehehe.
Really refreshing to see the dynamics of Levi's squad earlier on. Love Hanji, she's crazy xD Interesting stuff about Titans, has got me so curious. I can't wait to catch up in the Manga!! Poor Ilse, though. Shame she had to yell at the titan, but still I get where her anger and frustration was coming from. Art was amazing as usual. :)
Mar 12, 2016 7:31 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
They adapted one of the special chapters of the manga, while addid some stuff of their own. Good episode, while showing that titans can talk and can put on human expressions.

4/5
Apr 15, 2016 6:37 PM

Jan 2013
SnK probably has the best OVA's ever!
That girl is dead but the contribute that she did to humanity doesn't have a value!I wonder what would happen if she didn't run...
But this was great! I'm so impressed.
I wonder why did he said that and when she started asking him questions he cried...so much questions and no answers :(
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 17, 2016 11:33 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
xD This really wants me to read the manga. ~_~

I love Romi Park. <3
Jul 12, 2016 10:47 AM

Feb 2013
Ah, how I miss this show. Interesting OVA.
Sep 26, 2016 6:43 PM

Jul 2013
Very interesting episode. A little bit more background how they came about to catch titans.

I feel sorry for Ilse Langnar. Especially at the end. I don't really understand what the titan was doing. I mean wtf. At first he tried to catch her, then he kneed before her and almost ripped his face off O.o

I also didn't expect to hear this titan speaking. Who is Ymir? When Ilse was between the teeth and about to die, pretty cruel I would say. But why did he not eat her and put her body instead in a whole in the tree? A lot of questions.

Hange is so fucking crazy, poor Oluo xD

Oct 1, 2016 2:53 PM

Mar 2010
Hanji was always fun to watch. reminds me of that potato girl but more memorable.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 5, 2016 2:56 AM

Jul 2008
Arkthur_us said:

BlackFox24 said:
Titan's can TALK?! That's some useful info!
(Also, why did that Titan know who Ymir was? Hmm...)
Too bad they couldn't have captured that titan...If they'd gotten THAT one, they might have gotten more useful info out of it.
And if Ilse had just calmed down a bit when talking to the titan, he might not have gone cray cray and bit her head off...But I guess I can understand her being afraid in a situation like that.

The latest manga chapters reveal the truth behind "Ymir" people.
Interesting to know such a clue was portrayed in this OVA
Feb 21, 2017 8:48 AM

May 2013
Oh my goodness D:

I feel like Ilse wouldn't have died if she didn't lash out angrily at the titan that spoke. He seemed like he was in remorse about what titans do :( But then again, with everything that's happened, I can't blame her in being angry. So many people have died when titans don't even need nourishment.

But man, the way Ilse died. She's a hero. Kept writing as much as she could and the fastest her hand's ever scribbled even when her head was between his teeth. She's beyond amazing.

I'm glad Hanji gave her notebook to her parents so they can read the part where she wanted so badly to give back to them :'( it'll tear their heart apart if they do choose to read it, though :(((
Kokoro_KotashimaFeb 21, 2017 8:51 AM
Mar 31, 2017 4:44 PM

Apr 2012
the plot thickens!

but seriously Ilse has some god-tier writing skills
Apr 3, 2017 11:11 AM

Dec 2014
well that was a good manga adaptation...but what I think is that titan maybe one of those humanoid titans.... or something...
Apr 10, 2017 11:07 AM

Jun 2008
OnePieceQ8 said:
when that titan start ripping his own face..
i had a feeling he was struggling to stop himself from eating Ilse or what he called "Ymir sama"..
nice ova but i'm disappointed the will not include it in the BDs :(

Indeed that seems to be the case. So was he someone that was human?
I guess it is part of the overall mystery of the series.
Apr 25, 2017 5:33 AM

Jun 2016
I was snickering at the fact that Ilse was able to scribble while running (fucking impossible), but then she managed to make running notes while her head got crushed in. Kudos.

Hanji is such a great character - please take over as MC? Erin can bite it.
May 14, 2017 5:58 AM
Feb 2016
that titan started cutting his face cause of the pressure that girl did by asking him questions that he could not handle or could not find an answer to it and he was suffring from in side that he couldn't do anything

........ some deep flashback that was
May 27, 2017 4:01 PM

Jun 2011
I'm glad I read the manga first because I already know about Ymir and its people. xD;;;
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin OVA Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Aug 8, 2014

143 by Apreggi »»
Feb 24, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin OVA Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

272 by Apreggi »»
Feb 21, 1:10 AM

» Eren is an immature dick

Kokko - Aug 20, 2014

14 by _spoon_ »»
Nov 12, 2021 10:42 PM

» Episode 5

StormBoi - Apr 11, 2015

2 by SpeedRoidGenm »»
Oct 28, 2018 1:11 PM

» has anyone seen: Chibi Theater: Fly, Cadets, Fly!

dinka- - Apr 6, 2018

2 by dinka- »»
Apr 7, 2018 8:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.