Forum Settings
Forums

Crowd Funding and Anime -- Is Kickstarter viable?

New
Sep 30, 2012 11:10 PM
May 2012
Yuasa Masaaki's kickstarter recently went up and revealed he was working on crowd-funding his new short with Production I.G.. Critically acclaimed but finding financial struggles after the TV run of his series' ended, Yuasa's turn to crowdfunding seems to acknowledge his extremely vocal fans. The kickstarter itself can be found here on Kickstarter.

Do you think Crowdsourcing could work for Anime, the way it has for videogames? And do you support this kind of funding for small projects and more non-mainstream styles of animation, similar to what Yuasa Masaaki had done prior with Madhouse? What are your feelings on this? What other animators would you like to see crowdfunding their projects?
Oct 1, 2012 12:32 AM

Sep 2008
I highly doubt it, maybe if you doing extremely short and alot of stuff people offered to do stuff for free.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 1, 2012 12:37 AM

Feb 2012
Would it work? For small projects sure. But for a full series? Highly unlikely unless the production committees decide to use kickstarter to fund like 25% of the costs, which is about $450-550k. Even then it'd be sketchy since anime isn't exactly mainstream like video games, nor is film & animation popular on kickstarter just from browsing the section.

The most funded project on there for film is only $406k for a stop-motion which was 40 minutes long, far more than the 10 minutes for Yuusa Masaaki's kickstarter, making success on kickstarter even less likely given anime's niche appeal and small funding for films.

The most we'd get are shorts like this one, though I'd support this kind of funding if it works just to see what kind of things a talented team could come up with.
Oct 1, 2012 12:48 AM

Jun 2009
It'll be interesting...

I can see one or 2 team excel and make a name for themselves through crowd funding.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2012 12:59 AM

Dec 2007
That sounds like a great idea, though realistically I only see it working when big-name people are involved, like with this project. It's just a shame to see people like Yuasa Masaaki, one of the most creative minds in anime, be in need of additional financial support whenever they propose an original idea. Nobody seems to want to take risks these days...
Oct 1, 2012 1:08 AM
Aug 2012
Ohh how cool. Ten grand (may) get you a tour of Production IG and dinner with Yuasa Masaaki, Mamoru Oshii & CEO of IG. If they take you to some really nice Japanese restaurant for dinner, some good sake, and the paid for accommodation is good - that could be 10%+ right there LOL!

I reckon this would only work if kickstarter has entry in Japan (well reach to Japanese otaku who can and do spend money). Does it?

If it was western anime fans - no - majority are cheap bums or kids in school with no job. Western anime fans apparently not like old school lovin' rpg gamers (I see Obsidian's kickstarter is 2 million + now - wow!)

Once I read that LoGH was (partly?) funded by subscriptions or pre-orders for the next season (it was originally OVA). Is that true? I'm not sure. If it was true - thank you Japan!!!
Oct 1, 2012 1:59 AM
May 2012
toomuchcoffee said:
Ohh how cool. Ten grand (may) get you a tour of Production IG and dinner with Yuasa Masaaki, Mamoru Oshii & CEO of IG. If they take you to some really nice Japanese restaurant for dinner, some good sake, and the paid for accommodation is good - that could be 10%+ right there LOL!

I reckon this would only work if kickstarter has entry in Japan (well reach to Japanese otaku who can and do spend money). Does it?

If it was western anime fans - no - majority are cheap bums or kids in school with no job. Western anime fans apparently not like old school lovin' rpg gamers (I see Obsidian's kickstarter is 2 million + now - wow!)

Once I read that LoGH was (partly?) funded by subscriptions or pre-orders for the next season (it was originally OVA). Is that true? I'm not sure. If it was true - thank you Japan!!!

Yes, LOGH was crowdfunded through phone orders -- Notoriously so. Phone lines were supposedly off the hook constantly for the first week most of those orders came through.
Oct 1, 2012 2:22 AM

Oct 2009
They should provide an ultimate item, not just some crappy autograph or collectible dvd.
I'd say 1:1 scale figure of their favorite character worth tons of otaku money.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 1, 2012 2:32 AM

Jun 2011
I don't even know why they put a $10000 pledge option for a 10 minute short movie.
Oct 1, 2012 2:44 AM
May 2012
onedaysnotice said:
I don't even know why they put a $10000 pledge option for a 10 minute short movie.

I suppose for the same reason Andrew Hussie put a 10,000 dollar reward tier on the Homestuck kickstarter. People have money they are willing to spend on things they find valuable.

Logistically though, the 10k reward tier almost pays for itself. Fancy dinner with three extremely famous names in the industry, full accommodation and travel to Tokyo and back. That's a pretty hefty vacation for 10 grand.
Oct 1, 2012 2:50 AM

Jan 2009
i hope it succeeds... Crowd-Funding anime will make sure that an anime can meet the Break-Even point (no loss, no gain) if its not successful in sales... so this is a good start
Oct 1, 2012 3:18 AM

Sep 2008
It could work, but not on Kickstarter and not for Yuasa. The Japanese people rarely use foreign sites to begin with, and outside Japan, anime doesn't have a fanbase as large as videogames do. They'd better create a kickstarter-like site for Japan only, that should work better. As for this particular project, Yuasa's anime was never among the best-selling ones even in Japan, so imo it's destined to fail anyway.
Oct 1, 2012 3:21 AM
May 2012
seishi-sama said:
It could work, but not on Kickstarter and not for Yuasa. The Japanese people rarely use foreign sites to begin with, and outside Japan, anime doesn't have a fanbase as large as videogames do. They'd better create a kickstarter-like site for Japan only, that should work better. As for this particular project, Yuasa's anime was never among the best-selling ones even in Japan, so imo it's destined to fail anyway.

It's interesting -- This kickstarter specifically is geared towards westerners. Mostly the French (with whom Yuasa is intensely popular) and Americans.

That being said, Yuasa's financial struggles themselves counteract the fact that he's won the Japan Grand Exellence award in animation far more than once -- and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei won countless other awards on top of that. Yuasa is praised by critics, but his sales seem to flounder away quickly after his TV shows (Which garnered pretty massive ratings while airing) finish.

I wouldn't be surprised if his French following funded the project themselves.
pbvvc7822k9Oct 1, 2012 3:30 AM
Oct 1, 2012 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
fm37c said:
It's interesting -- This kickstarter specifically is geared towards westerners. Mostly the French (with whom Yuasa is intensely popular) and Americans.

if im correct Kickstarter funding is only for american citizens only
Oct 1, 2012 3:54 AM

Apr 2009
Guys, this might be the first time the Western community can directly influence the work of a great studio in a sufficient way. If everyone one uf who watched an IG show would pledge at least 25 or 30 Dollar, this would be grand success and more companies would look into such a way of financing things.

I's say it is our duty to enable these creative people to realize their project.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 1, 2012 3:59 AM

Sep 2008
j0x said:
fm37c said:

Um, no.
Oct 1, 2012 4:04 AM
May 2012
seishi-sama said:
j0x said:
fm37c said:

Um, no.

Kickstarter accepts any payments that Amazon will allow, making it pretty much global.
Oct 1, 2012 4:11 AM

Jan 2009
fm37c said:
Kickstarter accepts any payments that Amazon will allow, making it pretty much global.

nice to know then... i hope this succeeds
Oct 1, 2012 4:12 AM

Apr 2009
j0x said:
fm37c said:

nice to know then... i hope this succeeds

Don't hope, pay for it! This is our chance.
Oct 1, 2012 4:25 AM

Sep 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
Guys, this might be the first time the Western community can directly influence the work of a great studio in a sufficient way. If everyone one uf who watched an IG show would pledge at least 25 or 30 Dollar, this would be grand success and more companies would look into such a way of financing things.

I's say it is our duty to enable these creative people to realize their project.

It's not nearly that viable, The highest a Kick Starter I've seen a kick starter go was about 2 million + that would probably get you about 1 episode of a major studio.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 1, 2012 4:29 AM

Apr 2009
Jigero said:

It's not nearly that viable, The highest a Kick Starter I've seen a kick starter go was about 2 million + that would probably get you about 1 episode of a major studio.

Of course, but this is more about showing that people are willing to pay for quality.
Oct 1, 2012 4:30 AM

Jun 2011
Jigero said:

Guess again.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure

Revenant_Oct 1, 2012 4:36 AM
Oct 1, 2012 5:30 AM

Aug 2009
Thats.... really depressing. I'm a huge fan of Masaaki Yuaasa. His anime is so unique and experimental. Tatami Galaxy is by-far one of the best slice of life anime that has ever been created and Kemonozume is one of my top 5 anime. I wouldn't mind throwing a couple of bucks their way, but I doubt this will as successful as they hope for it to be.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 1, 2012 6:37 AM

Sep 2008
Jigero said:

More like 4-5 episodes I think. And pretty sure Shaft (or Deen, but that's different story) could make a whole 12 ep season for $2 mil.
Oct 1, 2012 7:23 AM

Jan 2012
Anime just costs too much I think for this kind of grass roots approach to work.
I have to believe that when things are bad I can change them
Oct 1, 2012 8:04 AM

Apr 2012
it's worth to try... might even give an impact to the industries (someday)
Oct 1, 2012 8:35 AM

Apr 2009
bottosai-01 said:
Thats.... really depressing. I'm a huge fan of Masaaki Yuaasa. His anime is so unique and experimental. Tatami Galaxy is by-far one of the best slice of life anime that has ever been created and Kemonozume is one of my top 5 anime. I wouldn't mind throwing a couple of bucks their way, but I doubt this will as successful as they hope for it to be.

You know how Kickstarter works, right? The pledge you make will only be withdrawn from your account if the goals are matched.
Oct 1, 2012 11:12 AM
Jul 2012
I wouldn't fund the particular project you posted because:

1) wrestling anime? That's dumb...

2) Romeo and Juliet storyline? Already read too much of that shit.
Oct 1, 2012 1:06 PM

Aug 2010
stanklem28 said:
I wouldn't fund the particular project you posted because:

1) wrestling anime? That's dumb...

2) Romeo and Juliet storyline? Already read too much of that shit.

You, my friend, have clearly never seen anything by Yuasa Masaaki.

I wish I had money to donate to this. I really hope it succeeds.
Oct 1, 2012 1:20 PM

Sep 2008
onedaysnotice said:
Jigero said:

Guess again.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure

Kick starter where you back garbage and stupid Ideas.
Oct 1, 2012 2:53 PM

Feb 2012
His artwork reminds me of superflat style of Takashi Murakami.
Oct 1, 2012 4:55 PM

Jul 2007
I gave 100 dollars. The man is a goddamn auteur and I am privileged to be able to support him in any way I feasibly can.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Oct 1, 2012 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
If I was rich I would back the highest amount on every kickstarter; different private concerts, dinners, and/or tours, every night.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 1, 2012 7:24 PM

Feb 2005
Well, this is definitely worth a try, for bigger projects as well. And even if it doesn't go through, it can at least show the anime industry that there is a potential interest in fan funding in the west.
Hell if they made a new season or half season of GitS like this I'd throw money right at it.
Maybe I'll throw something at this too.
seishi-sama said:
More like 4-5 episodes I think. And pretty sure Shaft (or Deen, but that's different story) could make a whole 12 ep season for $2 mil.
*Animation Missing*, hoho.
Nov 21, 2013 5:20 PM
Sep 2007
Crowdfunding can work with licensing anime that other companies wouldn't take a risk to license like Animesols http://animesols.com/
They already crowdfunded the first boxsets of Creamy Mami, Black Jack, and Oniisama e. Creamy Mami just succeeded in crowdfunding the second boxset with Black Jack still in need of reaching it's goal the second. So I believe crowdfunding can work when used in the right way.
Sep 13, 2015 1:26 AM

Mar 2013
It will only work if it's a short project like a ova or movie.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Sep 13, 2015 3:01 AM

Nov 2011
EvenJellyOn said:
It will only work if it's a short project like a ova or movie.

You do know this thread is almost two years old, and the project is already funded and completed, right?

More recently, Under the Dog was also funded.
Sep 13, 2015 3:03 AM

Jul 2014
Yeah look at "Under the Dog". Kickstarted works as long as you aren't making trash.
Sep 13, 2015 3:54 AM

Mar 2013
TripleSRank said:
You do know this thread is almost two years old, and the project is already funded and completed, right?

I'm aware. The facebook page shared this thread today though.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Sep 13, 2015 4:00 AM

Dec 2014
Studio Trigger started a Kickstarter campaign for a sequel to Little Witch Academia and it was pretty successful, due to the amount of pledges they were able to extend the original run time as well. So yeah, as long as you have the fanbase, it can work.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2
Sep 13, 2015 10:23 AM

Nov 2011
EvenJellyOn said:
TripleSRank said:

I'm aware. The facebook page shared this thread today though.

Oh. Alright then~

OT: I don't know if it's viable for tv series, but for movies and shorts it seems to work.
Sep 13, 2015 10:33 AM

Sep 2013
hmmm maybe I should kick start an overlord movie or game :P
click my sig
Sep 13, 2015 10:56 AM

Dec 2012
Well since Kickstarter can found the inept and insipid rumblings of that misguided halfwit Anita Sarkeesian for exmaple, then I'm pretty sure you can found anything with it's help....
Sep 13, 2015 5:09 PM

Aug 2015
I have not yet and I would only if I knew they were being supported by a studio I trust.
Sep 13, 2015 5:47 PM

Nov 2014
I am not planning on paying for creation of anime, just saying.

More topics from this board

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Today

66 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
2 minutes ago

» Which upcoming anime are you most excited about and why?

KyanBun - Today

23 by ryzxgum »»
2 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

612 by 345EdwardElric »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season

Raajdeep - Today

31 by EpicO4 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » A anime that mention your country? ( 1 2 )

torsan88 - Sep 17

95 by aReviewer »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.