Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2011 12:49 PM

May 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Feb 10, 2011 8:08 AM

Sep 2009
amazing end! kurapika has left kuro absoultely handicap.
the spiders won't be on the same level they used to be anymore, especially after paku's death and hisoka's departure.
still they coudln't finish it without some mystery with the final scene, i wonder if the next ovas will have a contiuation of the spiders arc.
Apr 17, 2011 3:53 AM

Feb 2008
1) it should have been the attempt to communicate that killed her rather than the actuality of communication.
2) when did she acquire the memory of Kuripaca's weakness from those two? it clearly stated that she didn't get it in the hotel and she was forbidden from reading them after that.
3) did the leader commit suicide at the end or what?
May 25, 2011 11:14 AM

Jan 2010
jacobpaige said:
1) it should have been the attempt to communicate that killed her rather than the actuality of communication.
2) when did she acquire the memory of Kuripaca's weakness from those two? it clearly stated that she didn't get it in the hotel and she was forbidden from reading them after that.
3) did the leader commit suicide at the end or what?

1) Why?
2) It didn't say she was forbidden from reading them.
3) I guess that'll be revealed in the next OVA.
Aug 26, 2011 11:50 PM

Jul 2010
now the spiders will be hell bent on killing kuripika and vice versa.

Nov 18, 2011 1:10 AM

Mar 2009
Ah, damn it. Pakunoda...
I liked her. =(
...and is it bad that I felt sympathy toward the Spiders, almost to the point where I was rooting for them? =P
I guess it's just thanks to the great characterization.

I had this scored at a 7 or an 8 for the first couple of episodes. However, these last episodes really picked up the pace, and were highly unpredictable. Since the Greed Island arc is next, I take it that's the end of the Spiders for the unforeseen future? Looks like it, as the leader is heading somewhere to meet up with someone. On top of that, most of the members are still alive, so I'm curious as to whether or not the story ever revisits these guys. The Chimera Ant arc supposedly follows Greed Island; maybe they make appearances throughout those arcs. Who knows? Anyway, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them again.

But...back to the unpredictability and what makes Hunter x Hunter a different kind of shonen. Take any other shonen(most, at least) out there, and this arc would simply turn into a battle royale-esque setup, with Kurapika and company fighting each member one-by-one. What's cool, though, is that Kurapika's victory(for now?) was achieved by strategy and intelligence. I mean, barely any of them fought, except for the Uvogin battle in the first series. Instead, he had to use strategy to defeat them, because, honestly, they wouldn't have been able to beat them by sheer strength and battle prowess alone. Of course, if this were another shonen, the main character would train for episodes and episodes, or pull out some powerup out of their ass. You know how it goes. I thought the way Hunter x Hunter pulled it off was more realistic too.

That being said, too bad about the Hisoka and Chrollo fight. That's one fight I was dying to see. Heh.

Hopefully, the next arc doesn't disappoint me too much. I've heard some bad things.

9/10
Dec 15, 2011 8:31 AM

Jul 2009
This OVA definitely carried on the intensity and suspense from the final arc of the anime and didn't disappoint at all. 8.5/10

Also, I felt bad for Hisoka that he couldn't fit with Kuroro :P
Aug 12, 2013 4:18 AM

Jun 2012
Liked this OVA more than I was expecting to. Just really well thought out. 8/10.
Aug 1, 2014 9:39 AM

Dec 2012
Poor Hisoka, all he wanted was a challenge. But man did he really want it! I definitely felt for Pakunoda throughout this hostage exchange and she was a fine example of a villain painted in many colors with black and white not being among them. The Spiders are ruthless and bloodthirsty but also compassionate and human.

Even watching this again (well counting the remake) and knowing what would happen I was at the edge of my seat, hanging in suspense and addicted throughout. This is hands down the best HxH arc and possibly one of the most brilliantly thought out in battle shounen history. Kurapika's quest for vengeance scratching at the surface and only clawing off a few limbs without being fulfilled was an incredibly gripping, heart pounding story. Kurapika, Chrollo, and Hisoka stole the spotlight in the York New arc and I pleasantly enjoyed experiencing this grand hunt.

9.5/10
Apr 22, 2015 7:17 PM

Jun 2014
I feel bad for Paku, she was forced to betray the rules of spider and sacrificed herself at the end. Lucifer can't even look at her eyes when they met. HxH the only anime that made me feel bad for villains without using bullshit flashbacks.

8.5/10
Sep 27, 2015 7:46 PM

Oct 2010
It is indeed much more dramatic here. I love it. Made me sympathize with each characters even more, especially Pakunoda. She's clearly in love with Chrollo.
Dec 14, 2016 11:51 PM

May 2009
Oh man I really wanted to see Hisoka fight the boss. This episode made me really sad about Paku :(
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Apr 10, 2017 10:26 AM

May 2008
Not sure how I felt about this; nothing positive nor nothing negative...

I felt nothing was really gained nor was anything really lost. Pakunoda's characterization was nice, but without a resolution and knowing it doesn't change anything other than giving the Spiders a personal motivation to go after Kurapika (and them knowing his weakness now), I found myself thinking "You screwed up." rather than anything positive or sad about her.

It wasn't bad. I had no trouble watching all 8 episodes in one setting, so it was interesting enough to keep my attention. There was two funny moments as well. I... just felt like it wasn't memorable. I was left with no impact other than "Eh." And is some ways that's probably worse than anything negative I could say.

It was basically a continuation of the TV series, but its' lack of impact makes me unsure as to how to score it. I guess a 5 because at the end of the day... I just don't care about the Spiders. And this OVA hasn't really changed my mind.
Jun 6, 2017 7:30 PM

May 2012
Pretty sweet last episode, but I do feel that this is not the last we'll see from them! I do really wonder what will happen next, but in general I quite liked this OVA sequel!

Let's see what's next.
Nov 29, 2017 4:02 PM

Mar 2016
This ending was really brilliant!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even if Kurapika's hatred still remains and the spiders still standing.
Kurapika has made Chloro unable to use his nen OR DIE!

If the true main character in this arc was Kurapika... Then:
This arc is not Kurapika's revenge story. It's about how he learned that revenge is not worth it and that risking your friends' life for his own ambition is not right.

However, even if Kurapika decided not to kill them (directly) after the arc and only 'teach them some lesson' on how being weak feels like. His hatred is still within him...

From this, I expect the Spiders to show up in future arcs... Alright so after this OVA it's the Greed Island OVA! (HxH OVA) > (HxH Gre Isl OVA) > (HxH Gre Isl Final OVA)

I'll be more awesome if Kurapika gave/attach every Spider the judgment chain though...

Apr 2, 2018 12:37 AM

Sep 2017
Good but kinda disappointing. So,Lucifer's popularity will not waver if he goes to the east? I can't understand why. At least Hisoka's history is kinda explained. And I saw Paku's death flag way before and it was confirmed with that cats moment.

8/10.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Nov 9, 2018 7:26 AM

Apr 2013
What a confusing ending to this arc. So the leader is now completely useless? Not even Hisoka felt like fighting him and Pakunoda's cat encounter also didn't make much sense, especially considering her suicide later on. Kinda anticlimatic.
Feb 6, 2020 10:17 AM
Apr 2016
Haha poor Hisoka... funny but also felt bad for him. The suicide was a pretty painful siight, but also a very interesting one.
Jan 8, 2021 10:44 AM

Feb 2020
Quite possibly the best piece of anime I have ever seen. 10/10
pls play jet set radio future for the microsoft xbox. thanks
May 14, 2022 5:55 PM

Feb 2015
What a piece of episode, it was amazing. Someone helped Hisoka, and he looking for the opportunity to fight Chrollo, he’s mad. In the end, despite the mission ended in an exchange to retrieve his friends, Kurapika actually killed two members of the Phantom Troupe, so that’s a lot, big step for Kurapika. With Uvogin and Pakunoda dead and their leader without Nen, the spider is damaged but not dead. Pakunoda’s death was beautiful, using the last resources to explain and give Kurapika’s information.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 4 Discussion

removed-user - Oct 7, 2010

23 by ASR09 »»
Nov 4, 2023 8:27 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 5 Discussion

Grimmm - Mar 5, 2010

21 by bruh98hy89 »»
Sep 30, 2023 2:06 PM

» Even as a 2011 fan, this is some of the best I've seen from the series.

removed-user - Dec 13, 2022

9 by removed-user »»
Dec 15, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 7 Discussion

deuchi - Jan 8, 2011

17 by giffica »»
Nov 20, 2022 4:32 PM

» Re-translated: Hunter x Hunter OVAs

HunterOVA - Jan 12, 2015

2 by theMario3721 »»
Nov 18, 2022 4:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.