Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2023 8:55 AM

Dec 2021
Lmao, Jinshi definitely had the last laugh that night.

Due to the incident involving Fengming, the punishment extended not only to her relatives but also to those associated with her. Among them was Maomao, who had been sold by the involved merchant as a victim of human trafficking. Maomao, who wished to remain in the imperial palace, suffered from her lack of eloquence and was dismissed as a relation of Fengming. Returning to the entertainment district and working at her former residence, one night, she visited a mansion where a client awaited, serving as an attendant to the three princesses, Mei-Mei, Pai-Ling, and Joka. To her surprise, she encountered a familiar figure there, Jinshi.

I'm a bit confused. Fengming is the only one who did something wrong, but they're punishing not just her family, but also anyone who had any dealings with them? Hope they touch on it next episode. Jinshi is pretty slick. I was hoping they'd talk about why a supposed eunuch was there. I wonder when she'll realize that Jinshi is actually in love with her. And, you know, how long it'll take for her to feel the same way. The music is still amazing, especially that beautiful OST they played during the scene when Maomao was remembering her time in the Palace. The whole scene was just so beautiful. I can't wait for the soundtrack to come out.

What a way to wrap up the first cour and end the year!

No episode until January 7th, sadly. Cour 2 also starts on January 7th, so new OP and ED time! See y'all then.
https://twitter.com/kusuriya_PR/status/1738596383404552389

Dec 23, 2023 10:30 AM

Feb 2021
I'm going to miss this OP :') Read the lyrics somewhere too please, I love them. Hopefully the next one is good too.
The scenes with Maomao running around feel very dynamic, with the camera rotating. I like it!
This has been said a million times already, but Maomao is so beautiful with make-up. Her blushing at Jinshi's moves brings a smile to my face.
This feels like an ending... This anime would've worked well as a 1-cour one too. But thankfully we have 3 months more of this :)
So I guess Jinshi bought her? I'm sooo excited to see the continuation!
As expected, no episode next week due to New Year's.
Dec 23, 2023 11:26 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to IzanaSolos
Lmao, Jinshi definitely had the last laugh that night.

Due to the incident involving Fengming, the punishment extended not only to her relatives but also to those associated with her. Among them was Maomao, who had been sold by the involved merchant as a victim of human trafficking. Maomao, who wished to remain in the imperial palace, suffered from her lack of eloquence and was dismissed as a relation of Fengming. Returning to the entertainment district and working at her former residence, one night, she visited a mansion where a client awaited, serving as an attendant to the three princesses, Mei-Mei, Pai-Ling, and Joka. To her surprise, she encountered a familiar figure there, Jinshi.

I'm a bit confused. Fengming is the only one who did something wrong, but they're punishing not just her family, but also anyone who had any dealings with them? Hope they touch on it next episode. Jinshi is pretty slick. I was hoping they'd talk about why a supposed eunuch was there. I wonder when she'll realize that Jinshi is actually in love with her. And, you know, how long it'll take for her to feel the same way. The music is still amazing, especially that beautiful OST they played during the scene when Maomao was remembering her time in the Palace. The whole scene was just so beautiful. I can't wait for the soundtrack to come out.

What a way to wrap up the first cour and end the year!

No episode until January 7th, sadly. Cour 2 also starts on January 7th, so new OP and ED time! See y'all then.
https://twitter.com/kusuriya_PR/status/1738596383404552389
@IzanaSolos Whole family and even their vassals and servants being punished for the crimes of one member was pretty normal at the time. All in all Fengming's family got off easy. They may have been executed alongside her
Dec 23, 2023 11:29 AM
Dec 2019
perfect!!! The biggest mistake was ending it!! I can't wait until next week for the story to unfold.
Dec 23, 2023 11:33 AM

Mar 2021
The repercussions of Fengming's Crime is Far reaching and now Maomao has left the Palace even though she does miss being there, that preview at the end implies Jinshi buys Maomao and brings her back to the Palace, I can't wait to see what happens next
Dec 23, 2023 11:37 AM

Oct 2012
I'm so dead after this episode. You can never tell where the show is going after and that's so damn awesome.

Sadly we won't have an episode next week, but I'll be happily waiting here (and controlling myself to not read the manga/LN)
Dec 23, 2023 11:37 AM
Oct 2016
Jinshi faced with a tough choice after learning about how Maomao was taken to the rear palace. He ultimately decides to let Maomao herself decide her own fate sort of, by asking her what she would want. Maomao sort of deciding to go home back to the brothel that owns her. Jinshi was very distraught by this, regretting his decision to let Maomao go but thinking that's what she wanted. Maomao missing the rear palace since she could at least dabble with poisons there, here at the brothel she has to attend parties and act as servants since the higher courtesan get all the luxury treatment. Maomao running into Jinshi again was great, exactly what they both needed. Jinshi down in the dumps after Maomao left and Maomao not knowing what her purpose is here. Jinshi could very well purchase her contract and buy her bacon to the rear palace should he so choose. Maomao definitely has a better place there.
Dec 23, 2023 11:39 AM
Jun 2021
Someone said Jinshi is Chinese Geto I can't 💀💀💀
Dec 23, 2023 11:41 AM

Jul 2011
Basically this episode was, Jinshi going from "I don't like to see Maomao just as a tool" , to "Know what? Lets go with the buy her."
Dec 23, 2023 12:06 PM
May 2017
Excellent episode! Jinshi and Maomao shone the whole episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 23, 2023 12:06 PM

Apr 2015
I laughed hard on Maomao take about Jinshi:
"This guy is really prone to casting doubt on my chastity" lol

Great end for the first cour. Will miss the OP.
Dec 23, 2023 12:30 PM

Jul 2017
The flashback sequence at the end was good but in my opinion, a little too long, felt like it was just there to eat up time after a while besides just serving as Maomao's reflections about her experiences (great music though). But other than that, it was a strong enough episode overall that did have Maomao consider the direction of her life after being fired from the rear palace due to having some kind of 'relation' with association towards Fengming. It was a nice change of pace with the environment too with Maomao back home, helping with some courtesan work part-time and awkwardly doing quite a solid job there (impressing the others when she coincidentally encounters Jinshi and boy was he quite the flirt once he got out of depression mode). Personally, another episode more with Maomao there before Jinshi just gets her back would've been nice but since Maomao's heart was more focused on the rear palace and Jinshi basically realizes that both her and him want to be there basically, kind of makes sense that no time was wasted for him to get her back with his investments.
Dec 23, 2023 12:32 PM

Jul 2017
With Fengming's execution, and Concubine Ah-Duo extradited out of the rear palace, Jinshi is in a dilemma to hide the real truth about Maomao being part of the layoffs, though that's up to Maomao to decide. That said, mass layoffs in the palace are a bad thing, and Maomao is on the run to find out any information relating to Fengming, though after inquiring Jinshi that she's part of the group, and she decides to work for anyone...to no avail. The problem is also Jinshi himself not ordering her to stay, that lady Gyokuyou has to find another toy for entertainment, what a hilarious dork. That said, Maomao back at home in the Pleasure District working as one of the old granny's courtesans, she fits the bill for her work. Oh well, it's back to work as usual entertaining Lihaku's officials...and Maomao finding Jinshi resting in one corner, it certainly comes as a surprise.

Oh welp, Maomao's decency caught by Jinshi stealing her informal kiss, then getting sold back to the rear palace to settle her debts, it's her dilemma as she looks back at her time in the rear palace, with Jinshi buying her off with huge tons of cash...and a poisonous flower of her interest.

Seriously, if this show was just 12 episodes, this would be the perfect ending with the eventual Season 2. But we still have another half of this to go, and that's great.
Dec 23, 2023 12:42 PM
Jun 2022
That was freaking HOT you know! Impossible to not blush! (14:40...)
Dec 23, 2023 1:23 PM
Sep 2014
My Otaku heart! What a sweet moment between Jinshi and MaoMao. Can't wait for more memorable moments between them.

Peeling off MaoMao's layers one by one. No one can tell me that she does not have feelings for Jinshi. She definitely does, but is just too shy to show her emotions.

You should def. read the manga and the light novels!
Dec 23, 2023 1:25 PM
Sep 2014
Mega_Muse said:

Buhahaha now that you said it, I can see where that someone is coming from🤣
Dec 23, 2023 1:45 PM

Jul 2022
yEyyyy i liek happy ending
Dec 23, 2023 1:52 PM
Aug 2020
another beautiful episode with this great animation, the animation brings something more from the manga.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 23, 2023 2:17 PM

Sep 2009
Oh. Ep. 13 preview already showed Lakan. I wonder who will voice him. Will be funny to get Okiayu Ryoutarou just for "Zhuge Liang but way more eccentric" reference.
Nachtwandler_21Dec 23, 2023 5:44 PM
Dec 23, 2023 2:26 PM
Jul 2014
BlichoBoy said:
Basically this episode was, Jinshi going from "I don't like to see Maomao just as a tool" , to "Know what? Lets go with the buy her."

To be fair, that was only after Maomao herself said "you know, this'll be a lot easier if you just bought me."
Dec 23, 2023 2:33 PM
Oct 2023
Detailed, feels like an end of era ep.
Dec 23, 2023 2:39 PM

Sep 2016
Pretty solid first half, some moments were better here than in the novel and the 2 mangas, but I still prefer the latter, the original songs were amazing too.

Now I'm really looking forward to how they will do the second half, especially the episodes about a "certain general."
Dec 23, 2023 2:56 PM

Nov 2013
If not for Frieren, this would've been my AOT easily.
Dec 23, 2023 3:22 PM
May 2021
Peak series man, excited for more eps!!
Dec 23, 2023 3:33 PM

Jul 2012
Jinshi keeping his word. Back to the palace for Maomao.
Dec 23, 2023 3:47 PM

Nov 2017
Second best anime of this season is never disappointed.

Dec 23, 2023 4:10 PM
Mar 2021
I love these moments between Jinshi and Maomao especially where he takes off her lipstick & then kisses his fingers, that was so sweet especially Maomo's reaction to it 🥰
Dec 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Feb 2020
God I wish I was Maomao cuz Lowkey I would've blushed if he did that shit to me too😳
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2023 4:46 PM

Mar 2021
Aahh why is an indirect kiss somehow sexier than if Jinshi and Maomao actually kissed??

Maomao "playing support" would be "making the princesses look prettier" except Maomao is also gorgeous. Yellow is a surprising color on her, and I was prob as stunned as Jinshi, but Maomao could rock any outfit ^^

Looking forward to part 2 :D
Dec 23, 2023 4:54 PM

Apr 2022
i'll be very sad if this gets a new OP (which is very likely) because this one is such a banger. listening to it as i type, in fact. first cour over though and rough stuff for jinshi having fired maomao. she was fighting intrusive thoughts about stealing a thing or two lol. she looked very pretty though, got me blushing and shi too with the lipstick scene.
Dec 23, 2023 5:03 PM
Jun 2009
Ok, but that was an absolutely supervillain plot by Gaoshun. He realizes Jinshi needs to get Maomao back and so sets up a party with the courtesans, ensuring that Maomao will be present by getting 3 of them to come to his palace. He sets up multiple officers so that it won’t look awkward to Jinshi and then just waits for Maomao, who will obviously be waiting tables, to show up at Jinshi’s table. I love how he stands behind them smirking too.
Dec 23, 2023 5:30 PM
Aug 2017
Good for Mao Mao! she has finally not been sold as courtesan. I would like to watch more dances of the three princess and to hear the original music they were playing
Dec 23, 2023 5:47 PM
Oct 2021
THAT WAS SO PRETTY
the montage recap filler thing was pretty cute
the only thing is that i think the party was a little..dull?
i needed more lights, more party feeling to see the contrast of how depressed jinshi actually was about missing maomao
also their interaction lacked momento?? (idk if that's the word)
it didn't feel like they-were-the-only-two-people-in-the-world vibes that manga has
their conversation was very intimate,
i think they missed jinshi's lipstick face tho 🫠
highly recommend to go read that manga ch, it's pretty nice and cute
maybe it's that if i knew sh1t about directing i would have done it differently but it's still was a good ep regardless

anyway, gorgeous

angel1309Dec 23, 2023 6:02 PM
Dec 23, 2023 7:12 PM

Nov 2010
  • Jinshi harasses MaoMao sexually as usual.
  • The bathing scene would be anime original. She looks totally different with the hairstyle other than flat bang.
Dec 23, 2023 7:22 PM
Mar 2015
Our gril is being exchanged for a very high price
Dec 23, 2023 7:53 PM
Jun 2021
GlamxYuni said:
Mega_Muse said:

ikrrr... the hair, the soft-spoken ness, the attire almost. I can't unsee it now 😂
Dec 23, 2023 8:03 PM
Mar 2019
Reminiscing or recap, a bit of both.
Dec 23, 2023 9:07 PM
Apr 2021
the song near the end of the episode is very beautiful, as a preview of the previous 11 episodes. can't wait for next episode
Dec 23, 2023 9:10 PM

Jan 2021
Not going to lie this is the only episode so far that I didn't like. Simple communication something they're both good at. Just say hey do you want a permanent job here because I can fire you and rehire you in an instant. They both felt out of character.

The dramatic scenes went on for so long. The flashback was really long and showed us stuff MaoMao couldn't have possibly seen. Everything else felt like it was on 2x speed. Then he just swoops in to buy her from the lady. Like wow what an easy solution. Maybe I missed something but I never got the impression that she owed the old lady a bunch of money.
Dec 23, 2023 9:15 PM

May 2015
Watching it the first time I didn't understand why would he sack her when she clearly asked him that did not fire her. Not until rewatching that scene did I realize that she only said she would do whatever she would be ordered to and all the other things were only her thoughts. For some reason the animation director decided that the angles of the shots shouldn't make it easy for the viewer to distinguish between her inner and outer monologue (showing her back and barely her month while her voice actor didn't change her tone much to indicate that difference between when she was speaking and her thoughts). So yes, she didn't make it clear what she really wanted. Just saying because maybe others were just as confused as me.

@PurpleMagic Yes, that she was debted to the old lady was something out of the blue to me as well. I don't remember that she owed anything to that madam or that Maomao was the property of her in any way. It would be hard to imagine that the story just pulled that without any previous explanation so it should have been mentioned in a previous episode. BTW I agree with you, the direction of this episode was a little bit week.
IshitatesoDec 23, 2023 9:45 PM
Dec 23, 2023 9:18 PM

Feb 2022
Nothing like seeing two idiots unable to convey themselves in any appropriate fashion towards each other yet things still work out for the better in the end.
Dec 23, 2023 9:30 PM
Sep 2014
Mega_Muse said:
GlamxYuni said:

ikrrr... the hair, the soft-spoken ness, the attire almost. I can't unsee it now 😂

impossible to erase that from my mind now🤣 put some sewing on Jinshi's forehead e viola you have Geto🤣
Dec 23, 2023 9:41 PM

Aug 2022
The half cour has been adapted very well. I love it so much.

Maomao's journey still continue starting early next year.

Lol literally my man Jinshi can't get away from my girl Maomao.
Dec 23, 2023 11:16 PM

Mar 2023
Very good, I really enjoyed the ending of cour 1. Even the animation was their best yet, either nice dynamic shots like when Mao was running around or wallpaper shots like when Mao went outside near her home
Dec 23, 2023 11:38 PM

Oct 2020
Did Jinshi ask MaoMao to Marriage?
Dec 24, 2023 12:33 AM

May 2015
Reply to JanWiller06
@JanWiller06 What? Where? What made you think that?
Dec 24, 2023 1:04 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to JanWiller06
@JanWiller06
the short answer: no
the long answer: (this contains a mild spoiler for the next episode)
Dec 24, 2023 1:07 AM

Apr 2021
Just what are those golden... things at the end? Bagworm earrings?
Dec 24, 2023 2:12 AM

Nov 2009
Jinshi suggesting of buying her and Maomao agreeing was hilarious. Just love it when they sync.
Dec 24, 2023 2:19 AM
Mar 2016
Finally finish the first volume of LN. 12 episode for 1 volume. What a luxury. I'm currently reading volume 5 LN and really love this series.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

270 by Lillycutie »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

206 by nickehhhhhh »»
Yesterday, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 9

100 by nickehhhhhh »»
Yesterday, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 2

98 by nickehhhhhh »»
Yesterday, 7:19 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

115 by nickehhhhhh »»
Yesterday, 6:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.