Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2023 5:29 AM

Nov 2011
This episode just reminds us how important life is in their world, from the moment of birth.

From the background storytelling to the gun pointing head scene, it felt like an emotional rollercoaster. Not surprised it had another cliffhanger too and this episode barely had any light comedy moments. Seems this season is approaching its climax pretty soon.
Nov 23, 2023 7:23 AM

Apr 2016
Dude, that first part of the flashback at the beginning was almost like from a different life, from a better times, simple happiness we all strive for ... but as this is the life, and tragedy happens ...

Being of a magus bloodline truly is no fun in this world, we've seen bits of that already with some of the students of the academy, but the case of Philomela, and her family shows it in its full sad potency.

Also, i legit forgot whos that lady inside Chise is supposed to be, lol ... have we seen her before ?
Nov 23, 2023 8:37 AM

Feb 2021
Philomela's parents' story was tragic. Loved it.
Now this matches what I read about Mórrigan online. Who exactly were the people that attacked her btw?
Best episode this season.
Nov 23, 2023 9:00 AM
Aug 2020
this was a great episode, better than what i was expecting

the back story,present

i'm ready for next week...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Nov 23, 2023 9:40 AM

Jul 2017
Alcyone helping Philomela grow when she was young with her family intact, it definitely hearkens of a time where everything was right with the family.

But make no mistake, the Sargant family has always been the black sheep with father Adam and mother Iris (who was sold off to him for his experiments) which they ended up getting hitched together and ended up with their only child of Philomela. Along with Alcyone, they may not have the best of traits, but are still a family together regardless. Still though, Adam sees through their ploy to break the family apart, and so does Iris not wanting Philomela to be submitted to the House. And sure, both Adam and Iris sacrificed their lives for the greater good, from their time being imprisoned in the House until their eventual marriage and having Philomela, it's all a sad tragedy story.

Chise and Ruth encountering Morrigan, the ancient goddess who wants Chise as the sacrifice, which Elias comes to stop her from being binded to her, but because of their philosophy, they decide to recite her chant and lay waste to her enemies, it's all a harrowing scene as she became their unpredictable aid in times of trouble. With that out of the way, the other students all recourse their objectives, though Zoe got accosted by a werewolf which he'll manage just fine.

The war is about to restart once again...
Nov 23, 2023 9:59 AM
Feb 2022
I've hold off watching a couple episodes until I know grandma have to pay for her actions. It annoyes me she gets away with everything too much to simulcast it.

Unfortunately I have a feeling she won't pay full but if so I'll at least know that when binging it later.
Nov 23, 2023 11:25 AM

Jun 2015
We went full squeepig!! Love it. After the ending of last eps this one started with some flash back to Philomela growing up. And the fairy summon showing learning as well which I think was a cheeky call out to when Elisa spoke to her eps ago. Philomela still in a bad and decaying state.

But the meat and potatoes of this eps was the ancient god Chise used and the price to pay. That was when shit really got wild!!! They talking in metaphor's but that old god, not worshipped or recognised for so, and Chise requiring the payment to be paid. Elisa standing in with not now.

Elisa as best husbando is going to have his work cut out!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Nov 23, 2023 11:29 AM
Dec 2021
Season started really slow but it's getting better.
Nov 23, 2023 11:30 AM

Jun 2015
Reply to Gl0rp
I've hold off watching a couple episodes until I know grandma have to pay for her actions. It annoyes me she gets away with everything too much to simulcast it.

Unfortunately I have a feeling she won't pay full but if so I'll at least know that when binging it later.
@Gl0rp Thats the worst post on this thread Ive seen. Aye you low key spoiler this season?
Nov 23, 2023 11:34 AM
Oct 2010
Morrigan is the perfect object lesson for Chise about the importance of words and promises for mages- spirits and gods live on an entirely different plateau of thought and time from the mortal races and, most importantly of all, they never, EVER forget.
Nov 23, 2023 11:49 AM
Feb 2022
Roch2001 said:
@Gl0rp Thats the worst post on this thread Ive seen. Aye you low key spoiler this season?

Eh no. I haven't read about what's going to happen so it's all conjecture.

My negativity comes from that I don't like tragedy and as far as I can see this story's job is to teach our protagonists a life lesson or two. That's fine for me as long as it's not such a long and central part of the main story. This is one of my all time favourite anime and have always before had the right amount of tragedy to keep the story flowing well. Thus I've decided to wait until this tragedy arc is finished so I can binge through it.
Nov 23, 2023 11:57 AM

Jun 2015
Reply to Gl0rp
Roch2001 said:

Eh no. I haven't read about what's going to happen so it's all conjecture.

My negativity comes from that I don't like tragedy and as far as I can see this story's job is to teach our protagonists a life lesson or two. That's fine for me as long as it's not such a long and central part of the main story. This is one of my all time favourite anime and have always before had the right amount of tragedy to keep the story flowing well. Thus I've decided to wait until this tragedy arc is finished so I can binge through it.
@Gl0rp Heh, this entire show feels to be about tragedy and loss and dealing with the consequences and looking for a better future. Im totally digging it, fantastic show. Glad to hear you a big fan too :)
Nov 23, 2023 12:32 PM

Feb 2019
Probably the first episode I’ve fully understood everything that’s going on in a long time lmao. Already felt horrible for Philomela, but now that I know her full backstory and her dad’s backstory I’m even sadder for her. She only had a brief period of happiness with her parents and Alcyone before it was stolen from her.

The hex curse was an interesting mechanic, I’m a little confused though on why her parents weren’t more prepared for a potential attack. The Hex should’ve been an absolute last resort, but it seems like as soon as the dad got caught lacking while grocery shopping he was determined to just use that to take out the assassin as he dies. Either way, fuck Philomela’s grandmother for using her own son and granddaughter like this.

Back in present day, Chise’s encounter with the god continues. Now while it sounds like a first born child type deal, I’m pretty sure the gift that the god wants is the mistletoe from season 1. Chise met her child in that season and gave him a mistletoe which he told her to give to his mom during the next Christmas season, either way very creepy sequence. Not often you see Elias shook like that lol
Marinate1016Nov 23, 2023 12:37 PM
Nov 23, 2023 1:40 PM

Dec 2013
You know shit is serious when even Elias couldn't be sassy to that Goddess, that was a beautiful moment getting to know Philomela and Alcyone 's past.

And good lord Chise, can you please stop making contracts or getting cursed from ancient beings for 5 minutes? jeez
Nov 23, 2023 2:50 PM

Sep 2017
Am I missing something or is this god showing up just extremely random and not connected to anything currently going on?
Nov 23, 2023 3:55 PM
Sep 2018
Sad seeing the backstory of Philomena and Alcyone. Can’t wait til the rest of them defeat the old hag!
Nov 23, 2023 4:00 PM

Apr 2022
werewolf pulled up.
Nov 23, 2023 6:12 PM
May 2017
Excellent episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Nov 23, 2023 7:45 PM
Mar 2015
Poor Philomeia Her parents died to save her Alcyone took spears for her Now Chise is offering herself to Morrigan to help get philomeia back
Nov 23, 2023 10:19 PM
Jan 2020
Marinate1016 said:
Probably the first episode I’ve fully understood everything that’s going on in a long time lmao. Already felt horrible for Philomela, but now that I know her full backstory and her dad’s backstory I’m even sadder for her. She only had a brief period of happiness with her parents and Alcyone before it was stolen from her.

The hex curse was an interesting mechanic, I’m a little confused though on why her parents weren’t more prepared for a potential attack. The Hex should’ve been an absolute last resort, but it seems like as soon as the dad got caught lacking while grocery shopping he was determined to just use that to take out the assassin as he dies. Either way, fuck Philomela’s grandmother for using her own son and granddaughter like this.

Back in present day, Chise’s encounter with the god continues. Now while it sounds like a first born child type deal, I’m pretty sure the gift that the god wants is the mistletoe from season 1. Chise met her child in that season and gave him a mistletoe which he told her to give to his mom during the next Christmas season, either way very creepy sequence. Not often you see Elias shook like that lol

Hey in what chapter was that in season 1?
I have to re-watch that to have an idea because I don't understand what's happening with this ancient God :(
Nov 23, 2023 10:28 PM

Feb 2019
Andrey212 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Hey in what chapter was that in season 1?
I have to re-watch that to have an idea because I don't understand what's happening with this ancient God :(

Think it was ep 16, not 100 percent sure
Nov 23, 2023 10:28 PM

Oct 2019
So the parents of Philomena were killed by the henchmen of the old hag. I hate her even more now...
Nov 23, 2023 11:51 PM
Dec 2022
We get Philomena's back story. Mini Philomena is so cute. We can see how her grandmother changed her and caused the death of her parents.

The ancient goddess Morrigan summoned by Chise is unbelievable and she wants a tribute.
Nov 24, 2023 2:53 AM

Oct 2017
Tragic backstory, not that we already didn't know they were dead but still sucks to see it happen. Felt really bad for Philomela's parents, they deserved better. Back to the present and the ancient god is crazy and a beauty. Though why is she pregnant or it's part of her as the mistress of heroes and mother of warriors. Would like see more lore. Anyway back to saving the useless bitch.
Nov 24, 2023 6:11 AM

Feb 2014
This backstory sums up just how tragic Philomela's life has been. Her parents, Adam and Iris, both were able to run away from the horrid mansion and before you know it, Philomela was born and, together with Alcyone, they were able to have a few years living in peace and harmony. It was intriguing to see how Alcyone improved when it came to doing chores as well as Adam's explanation about hex curses.

Sadly, their time together was going to be interrupted and that did indeed happen in a bloody fashion. While the way that Adam bowed out, taking the life of his assassin with him, was pretty badass, it was equally sad and depressing as Iris also got killed off and Alcyone was captured, carrying Philomela in her arms. All the more reason to sum up how much of a scumbag Philomela's grandmother is. =(

In the present day, Elias and Chise have a run-in with an ancient god, which links back to the events in season 1. Elias had to be straight to the point with Chise to make sure she didn't say anything that would harm the pair, but in the end, they were able to win the help of the god, Morrigan. Her way of using her soldiers to slay the guards was impressive, but also savage.

With that sorted, the group were then stopped by the werewolf, although I do like seeing Zoe making his stand, wanting to take the werewolf on. It'll be a tough battle for him, but I do hope he succeeds.
Nov 24, 2023 9:07 AM

Mar 2010
I can never guess what will happen next, Love how these spirits and gods just do whatever they want lol.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 24, 2023 9:20 AM

Jun 2016
what a tragic back story of philomela !!
Nov 24, 2023 7:16 PM
Mar 2019
I really love it when this series goes full mythical. It just shows the layers of lore that is its backdrop. Beautiful.
Nov 25, 2023 5:43 AM

Dec 2008
sad stuff, good that we learned more about Alcyone, glad she is not only a robot that can't help her master in despair.
Instead of Philomela getting saved a god appears demanding something from Chise, insane timing.
I forgot if the topic was already mentioned in the last season where a lot of bad things happened to Chise anyway.
While they can't do something against a god, I'm sure Elias can at least beat the crazy grandma.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2023 9:50 AM
Jun 2023
Can someone tell me if this is the last season? Or is there enough manga content for a 3rd, please🙏
Nov 25, 2023 2:22 PM

Nov 2012
It never occurred to me that Zoe would be the one battling the werewolf. Actually, the idea of Zoe saying I've got this seems odd.
Nov 25, 2023 5:49 PM

Jul 2016
Morrigan's reintroduction was such a badass plot device.
Another nice episode though Alcyone's flashback was definitely the highlight.

MegamiRem said:
Back to the present and the ancient god is crazy and a beauty. Though why is she pregnant or it's part of her as the mistress of heroes and mother of warriors. Would like see more lore.

Morrigan is the goddess of War and Death (as well as Love and Sexual Desire) in Celtic mythology. Actually, most of the show's creatures and spells are based on Celtic mythology.
Nov 29, 2023 2:55 AM

May 2015
It's good to know more about Philomela's story. Hope friends will be able to save her.
Nov 30, 2023 10:25 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Morrigan, God Name!!!!
Poor boys!!!
kekeke
Dec 11, 2023 8:22 PM

Aug 2019
I swear if the grandma doesn’t die this season. We’re going to have a problem.
Dec 21, 2023 12:05 PM

May 2020
After this episode, I just can't with this grandma anymore. Not like it wasn't already insufferable enough but she literally has to go and do the worst to Philomela's parents, just so she could have her son back and succeed that servant stuff their family is known about..? God, she needs to die.

Great to see those goons suffer through hell.. need more Morrigan.
Dec 30, 2023 1:02 AM

Aug 2019
Really interesting episode all round.

The first half was absolutely fucking heart breaking, they really made sure to give Philomela, her parent's and Alcyone some of the saddest backstory's and plot points this season to only keep punching down on them. Plz just let Philomela and Alcyone be happy, one can only imagine at this rate :(
Even though we essentially got the bullet pointed TLDR; of Philomela's parent's life this ep, i kinda hope they make like a dedicated 3ep OVA that goes into a bit more depth about her parent's development with one another and how they escape, character development and so on. Honestly just for emotional reason i want to see it and kinda story reason, but also for the family time fluff with all and them and Alcyone so i can cry about it later when it all collapses on me.

Huh so the entity was a whole ass God called Morrigan? If i got it right she wanted mistletoe / something from Chise or Elias that was established way back in s1 "That in the coming year, you would give your fruit to the mother" and for Chise to finish an incantation that used her as an outline so Morrigan could be like properly exist in the world? Tad bit confused but kinda got the gist, definitely need to rewatch s1 for more context though.
Actually kinda interesting how she referred to Elias as a "Child of my domain" so i'm guessing there's some connection between them, and already i could kinda see them having the same nature with how their origins are both pretty supernatural and dark.
Ngl I really like when they show off some of the dark magic and arts in the world, i think those can get really creative with concept and design because of how unsettling some of it can get.
Code0018Dec 30, 2023 1:06 AM
Jan 11, 12:08 PM

Aug 2019
alcyone story sure is something.
now the pregnant crow lady has red hair :D? philomela rescue mission is go.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 9:33 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Wow that was an intense episode, the flashback really showed what a bond Alcyone and Philomela have and we finally learnt a bit more about Philomela. For me the best episode of this season so far.
Jan 22, 8:43 PM

Jul 2008
Ok The Stanley house needs to all die.

Also who is this Morrigan out of nowhere demanding payment?!?!!?
Feb 13, 8:30 PM

Mar 2014
Best episode so far. Watching Chise and Elias making actual friends was nice but I missed seeing gods beyond mortal comprehension showing up and stealing the show.
Apr 18, 5:59 PM

Jun 2015
That was a phenomenal episode! 10/10

Philomela is one of the cutest babies in anime. Adam and Iris' love story is a tale as old as time but retold with a flair of familial love that gets skipped or is never reached in other versions. Iris' hesitation and uncertainty over whether she truly loves her own child because she was abandoned by her own parents when they were strapped for cash reminds me so much of AI from Oshi no Ko. When children who were mistreated by their own parents when they were young, grow up to become mothers and fathers, they are always haunted by the feeling that they don't love their kids enough and nothing they do will ever be enough.

Alcyone has grown so much! I love her. I love how she comforts Iris over her own misaligned emotions about her love for her child and how she reassures her that even if her worst fears come true, Alcyone will be there to set things right and protect Philomela under any circumstances. When the flashback ends and she's caught between her new programming, her old programming and her own real feelings, that was beautiful!

The unnamed Winter Goddess turns out to be Morrigan and she helps out our main cast in dealing with the guards in exchange for an untold favor in the future.

May 2, 2:31 AM

Apr 2013
A wild Morrigan appeared. I thought it's the chick from the forst who used to ride on a deer, but apparently she's someone else. Very similar design though.
Aug 8, 7:00 PM

Aug 2022
Reply to Gator
A wild Morrigan appeared. I thought it's the chick from the forst who used to ride on a deer, but apparently she's someone else. Very similar design though.
@Gator

She is, the goddess riding on the deer, Morrigan. The god of winter, battle, love and fertility. Her first appearance was in s1 ep16 riding on a centaur god when Elias, Chise and Ruth was hiding from her behind a tree.
Later in an episode (I can't remember which), where Ruth was searching for Chise in the forest (when Elias trapped Chise in the forest because he was jealous), he encountered a fairy-like child with the little bear, that kid was Morrigan's daughter who will be Morrigan herself next winter. Every year she's reborn and I think maybe at the Night of Yule the mistletoe offering is for her birth.
When Ruth (and I think because they're connected also Chise) was helped by the child of Morrigan, in return bigger offering was asked for next year's winter which Ruth forgot and didn't tell anyone. And in this episode that offering was asked of them, by none other than Morrigan herself.

Morrigan is like mother nature in the winter and she's a mother herself giving birth to the goddess of the next year. Symbolising the never ending cycle of the changing of each year followed by the next. She is one of, but more likely the most powerful being there and what I also really like with all these powerful gods, fairy queens and such is that you never know with them what'll happen next, when they will bless you or wipe you out of existence. They are really capricious, they appear from nowhere without any warning and the dice is cast, and your fate will be decided.
I really like her character and would like to know more about her from the story of this series.

Let's see what the future holds!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2023

47 by RobertRotten »»
Sep 21, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2023

85 by AngelFlash »»
Sep 12, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2023

43 by snowykevin »»
Aug 6, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2023

32 by Code0018 »»
Jun 11, 11:49 PM

» Where all romance gone?

xakpc - Dec 25, 2023

10 by Gator »»
May 4, 3:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.