Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2023 6:22 AM

Jan 2009
Users Browsing Forums: 242

damn MAL forums is dying it used to have like 400-600 users around this time afaik

so thoughts on why MAL forums is dying? ye i know some seasons like no vacation months make the user activity low too but damn this is the lowest ive seen the numbers afaik
degMar 20, 3:44 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 28, 2023 6:24 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
R/anime annihilated all other anime forums.

Most MAL users who talk to other MAL users are doing it through the Discord server as well.
Feb 28, 2023 6:26 AM

Mar 2020
No idea what it used to be like as I'm only active here in short periods, but I'd imagine if you're referring to things back in 2009, the internet was a simpler place with less places to go to talk about things. Discord is probably the biggest reason why people spend time talking about anime elsewhere, due to hobby servers and whatnot. Could also just be a case of people growing out/away from it and newer people not being numerous enough to fill their place, because forums are not as popular with younger people? Just my best guesses
daily reminder to try not to take it all so seriously!

Jan 2009
ACasualViewer said:

Most MAL users who talk to other MAL users are doing it through the Discord server as well.

last time i check the MAL discord only like 20-40 people are actively talking at any point in time

and ye guess /r/anime is the go to place now

QuietlyPerfect said:
No idea what it used to be like as I'm only active here in short periods, but I'd imagine if you're referring to things back in 2009, the internet was a simpler place with less places to go to talk about things. Discord is probably the biggest reason why people spend time talking about anime elsewhere, due to hobby servers and whatnot. Could also just be a case of people growing out/away from it and newer people not being numerous enough to fill their place, because forums are not as popular with younger people? Just my best guesses

actually i just started being active around 2012 when they reorganize the forums to split General Discussions to Current Events and here Casual Discussion

but ye discord seems more active i guess
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I'd say CD has been in a decent state this past month. We don't really get much more activity even when the numbers are showing 1000+ users. These are mostly bots, alts, and lurkers, or people who have come to the forums to discuss some hyped anime series that just came out, and who will likely be gone the next day.
Feb 28, 2023 6:27 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
deg said:
ACasualViewer said:

last time i check the MAL discord only like 20-40 people are actively talking at any point in time

You're missing all the hidden channel discussions, special role channels specifically. In addition people DM other people on the server.
Feb 28, 2023 6:31 AM

Jan 2009
ACasualViewer said:
deg said:

You're missing all the hidden channel discussions, special role channels specifically. In addition people DM other people on the server.

ok im actually noob about discord i rarely use it since as they say you cannot teach old dogs new tricks so i stick to forums
Feb 28, 2023 6:36 AM

Jan 2009
Users Browsing Forums: 313

lol it suddenly shot up to some decent level now wtf that was fast

maybe bots like @149597871 said
Feb 28, 2023 6:57 AM

Feb 2010
deg said:
damn MAL forums is dying it used to have like 400-600 users around this time afaik

so thoughts on why MAL forums is dying? ye i know some seasons like no vacation months make the user activity low too but damn this is the lowest ive seen the numbers afaik

I have talked to people who don't participate in the forums or linked them to random threads they may like. There is a unanimous agreement amongst them: the forums have too many angry weebs attacking everyone over every little difference of opinion, so they don't want to get involved. 

It's not that they're scared, it's just not worth their time to get involved in discussions when there is so much vitriol to sort through. 

The anime-forum-discussion community kind of kills itself this way. But this has been going on for years; it definitely got way worse around the late 2000s. And with the good anime that keeps coming out, there's always fresh users for the community but many will turn away for probably well-managed discords and echo chambers. 

Feb 28, 2023 6:59 AM

Jul 2022
The Americans (who make up a majority of MAL's userbase) are still sleeping, so that's why.
Feb 28, 2023 7:00 AM

Jan 2009
Shishio-kun said:
deg said:

I have talked to people who don't participate in the forums or linked them to random threads they may like. There is a unanimous agreement amongst them: the forums have too many angry weebs attacking everyone over every little difference of opinion, so they don't want to get involved. 

It's not that they're scared, it's just not worth their time to get involved in discussions when there is so much vitriol to sort through. 

The anime-forum-discussion community kind of kills itself this way. But this has been going on for years; it definitely got way worse around the late 2000s. And with the good anime that keeps coming out, there's always fresh users for the community but many will turn away for probably well-managed discords and echo chambers. 

ah ok i guess thats the appeal of discord then is you can make echo chambers or hive mind or safe space
Feb 28, 2023 7:04 AM

Jan 2009
Users Browsing Forums: 245

lol its back to the lowest level ive seen

or maybe there is a MAL code glitch happening?

Say-My-Name said:
The Americans (who make up a majority of MAL's userbase) are still sleeping, so that's why.

no idea about that im here for years so i was actively monitoring that stat and i say during this time it use to have at least 400+ users stat
Feb 28, 2023 7:08 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
deg said:

ok im actually noob about discord i rarely use it since as they say you cannot teach old dogs new tricks so i stick to forums

You are doing the right choice. Discord is awful anyway.

Some moron clicked two buttons to create a free server and then acts all high and mighty as if he's your employer or landlord or something.

"Hey, man! Wanna chat? Please join my discord server. I'll make you an officer, but you may be promoted to moderator in 6 months if you work hard enough! Here's a list of rules, as well as your responsibilities, and if you don't post at least once every 48 hours or if you ever fail to satisfy my ever-changing expectations in any way, I'll kick you." - Just fuck off, please. Like, I get that this is the closest you'll ever get to being in a position of authority and got immediately drunk with your imaginary discord power because of that, but that's not how you make actual friends with anyone.

LINE will always be better than this toxic garbage of a platform...
Feb 28, 2023 7:11 AM

Jan 2009
149597871 said:
deg said:

You are doing the right choice. Discord is awful anyway.

Some moron clicked two buttons to create a free server and then acts all high and mighty as if he's your employer or landlord or something.

"Hey, man! Wanna chat? Please join my discord server. I'll make you an officer, but you may be promoted to moderator in 6 months if you work hard enough! Here's a list of rules, as well as your responsibilities, and if you don't post at least once every 48 hours or if you ever fail to satisfy my ever-changing expectations in any way, I'll kick you." - Just fuck off, please. Like, I get that this is the closest you'll ever get to being in a position of authority and got immediately drunk on your imaginary discord power because of that, but that's not how you make actual friends with anyone.

LINE will always be better than this toxic garbage of a platform...

lol damn people are power hungry and discord makes them feel that now huh
Feb 28, 2023 8:26 AM

Jul 2007
I think you just happened to check at the sweet spot between Europeans working/leaving work and Americans waking up/going to work/working. Not that it's any higher now, really.
Feb 28, 2023 8:31 AM

May 2013
If only we lived in a world where moderators didn't do everything in their power to kill engagement. Like imagine incentivizing people to do a good job?

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Feb 28, 2023 8:37 AM

Jan 2009
Scud said:
I think you just happened to check at the sweet spot between Europeans working/leaving work and Americans waking up/going to work/working. Not that it's any higher now, really.

i happen to made the same thread a year ago https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2052866
and it happens to be close to the same time (but not exact month) i made them so ye the user activity is really down
Feb 28, 2023 9:01 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
I've seen it drop to 100+, I remember back in 2020 it used to be over 1000.
It could be because threads on MAL keep getting recycling over and over again, I lost count how many times I've seen Isekai sucks, Dub vs Sub, Old vs New anime, Fanservice destroying anime etc..
After a while it gets tiresome.
Another possible reason could b be crackdown on controversial/drama threads.
Even though people often say they hate drama and controversy statistics paint a different picture.
They create us vs them mentality which fuels activity and discussion.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Feb 28, 2023 9:05 AM

Jan 2009
Helltaker said:

never seen it drop to 100+ other than when a site maintenance is over so few people are getting back

and yep 2020 is peak of the pandemic so im not surprise it reach 1000+ sometimes
Feb 28, 2023 9:17 AM

Dec 2022
deg said:
Helltaker said:

never seen it drop to 100+ other than when a site maintenance is over so few people are getting back

and yep 2020 is peak of the pandemic so im not surprise it reach 1000+ sometimes
142, whenever it is i necro'd that milkmonster thread today, thats the number i saw when i was in the search.
My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
Feb 28, 2023 9:30 AM

Jun 2017
Damn, if only i wasn't suspended on reddit.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Feb 28, 2023 10:19 AM

Jan 2009
Users Browsing Forums: 219

it keeps going down dang
Feb 28, 2023 10:45 AM

Jun 2021
I've seen 175 just a couple of days ago. Right now it's "Users Browsing Forums: 191".
Feb 28, 2023 10:46 AM

Jan 2009
IridescentJaune said:
I've seen 175 just a couple of days ago. Right now it's "Users Browsing Forums: 191".

lol youre right damn

Users Browsing Forums: 191
Feb 28, 2023 10:48 AM

Dec 2019
The recent activity dwindled because of rule 7, I think this is a pretty agreeable standpoint.

Mostly lurkers and one-time forum users make up the users browsing forums I think.
Feb 28, 2023 11:34 AM

Jan 2009
Users Browsing Forums: 181

its getting closer to 175 the lowest according to previous reply
Feb 28, 2023 11:38 AM

Jul 2014
Forums in general are dying. It's not just a MAL problem. 
Take care of yourself

Feb 28, 2023 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
One major regret I have is not really getting into anime sooner, so I would have experienced this site in its early days.
From what I've heard, those were fun times.
This site reminds me of the kind of forum boards that were more popular in the 2000's and early to mid 2010's.
The monopolizing and centralization of social media to only a handful of platforms has made the internet less interesting.
removed-userFeb 28, 2023 1:19 PM
Feb 28, 2023 12:25 PM

Jan 2021
lately I have lost the drive to take part in the discussions so I'm one of the people contributing to the issue

as long as it doesn't dip bellow 50 I don't mind though
Feb 28, 2023 12:56 PM

Sep 2017
ACasualViewer said:

That's kinda weird. Big subreddits aren't even a place for discussion
خ
Feb 28, 2023 5:32 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Probably a combination of discussion moving elsewhere (forums as a whole slowing down) and a lack of interesting things to contribute to.
Feb 28, 2023 5:42 PM

Jan 2009
Users Browsing Forums: 147

welp that is the now lowest ive seen that stat
Mar 1, 2023 1:16 PM

Jan 2009
The numbers are just becoming more realistic without so many bots. Also, people losing their interest to even lurk
Mar 1, 2023 1:27 PM

Dec 2008
deg said:
damn MAL forums is dying

WOKE Hollywood is dying, AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!
WOKE Disney is dying, AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!
MAL forums is dying, AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!
Mar 2, 2023 3:24 AM

Jun 2021
Users Browsing Forums: 178

HAHAHA!
Mar 2, 2023 3:32 AM

Jan 2009
IridescentJaune said:
Users Browsing Forums: 178

HAHAHA!

lets see if its gonna get lower than 147 today
Mar 2, 2023 3:43 AM

Jun 2021
Users Browsing Forums: 171

This could be like a forum game. LOL.
Mar 2, 2023 4:15 AM

Oct 2017
Users Browsing Forums: 204

r/anime is honestly trash
Mar 2, 2023 5:01 AM

Mar 2008
Helltaker said:
It could be because threads on MAL keep getting recycling over and over again, I lost count how many times I've seen Isekai sucks, Dub vs Sub, Old vs New anime, Fanservice destroying anime etc..
After a while it gets tiresome.
Another possible reason could b be crackdown on controversial/drama threads.
Even though people often say they hate drama and controversy statistics paint a different picture.
They create us vs them mentality which fuels activity and discussion.

it’s not because drama seeking over so called “controversial” (which is used insanely loosely here these days where anything everyone agrees on is somehow controversial or just saying something about themselves is somehow controversial) it’s because those are the kind of topics that are the only ones really worth discussing in any meaningful manner. Anything else is just shit posting and mundane things that no one cares about.

Shishio-kun said:
deg said:

It’s more antis I see as a problem. They really just want to shit on just about anything and seek conflict to make themselves feel self important. Weeb is a meaningless term and ridiculously overused.
Mar 2, 2023 5:41 AM

Jul 2022
Drumbottle said:
Users Browsing Forums: 204

r/anime is honestly trash
Same. It's sad to see MAL forums' usage going down while that shithole keeps getting bigger.
Mar 2, 2023 6:00 AM

Oct 2017
ArabianLuffy said:
deg said:
damn MAL forums is dying

WOKE Hollywood is dying, AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!
WOKE Disney is dying, AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!
MAL forums is dying, AND THAT IS A GOOD THING!
Hollywood & Disney aren't dying tho (i dislike Disney btw)
Mar 2, 2023 7:04 AM

Jun 2021
deg said:

Users Browsing Forums: 235

You can maybe turn this into a forum game (or is there already something similar?). I haven't joined any forum games but I might with this. Haha. I also wanna see if it will go below 147 as you've mentioned.
Mar 2, 2023 8:26 AM

Jan 2009
IridescentJaune said:
deg said:

Users Browsing Forums: 235

You can maybe turn this into a forum game (or is there already something similar?). I haven't joined any forum games but I might with this. Haha. I also wanna see if it will go below 147 as you've mentioned.

you can post it on forum games if you want lol
Mar 2, 2023 9:08 AM
Oct 2017
I checked on Archive.org. The downfall started after October of last year. On 01 October of last year there were 641 users while on 01 November there were 315 users connected.
I don't think it's people mgrating to other platform, they do not migrate en masse but steadily over time.
From what I know around mid-October there was an update to Google's algorithm, which by the way I think made the search results much worse. Maybe it's because of that, the timing matches.
Mar 2, 2023 9:17 AM

Jan 2009
Dije said:
I checked on Archive.org. The downfall started after October of last year. On 01 October of last year there were 641 users while on 01 November there were 315 users connected.
I don't think it's people mgrating to other platform, they do not migrate en masse but steadily over time.
From what I know around mid-October there was an update to Google's algorithm, which by the way I think made the search results much worse. Maybe it's because of that, the timing matches.

possible and thanks for investigating it i also notice MAL ranking on google is lower in most pages too or afaik now
Mar 2, 2023 12:52 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
That is a lot, in comparison to the forums I used to use, honestly. 100 people was a lot back then.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 2, 2023 1:02 PM
Dec 2010
Where's the like button now?
Even SEO hate this site now, heh.
Mar 3, 2023 3:49 AM

Jun 2021
Update!

Users Browsing Forums: 177

Still not below the 147. Hehe.
Mar 3, 2023 5:51 AM

Jul 2019
As long as certain segments of forums are still active, I think it's fine. This is what you get for so many restrictions that are put in place.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Mar 3, 2023 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
That number is way too high. The moderators need to get their shit together and get that number down to 50 by the end of March.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» do you still live with your parents? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 29

53 by WaffleMaster89 »»
8 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

842 by Hitagi__Furude »»
16 minutes ago

» External SSD

RudeRedis - Jun 7

12 by traed »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you like to judge people?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 6

20 by traed »»
25 minutes ago

» Which continent or country has the most appealing "everything"?

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

13 by traed »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.