Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 7, 1:24 PM

Jan 2020
Hi, guys! I'll write about my current conditions very briefly first:

• broke af (like, maybe about $150-200 is a ceiling for me)
  • living in an absolute shithole (currently, the same as Donbas, basically, but there're no shellings yet)
  • because of the previous, everything here is overpriced af (like, I recently got a laptop that would cost about $650 in the States for $810, and that was the cheapest option)

Ok, now, having brought that into consideration, this is what I want to do:
I wanna try writing some cinematic shit a la Hans Zimmer.
So, basically, I need a DAW session with a shit ton of Kontakt instances for various orchestras (woodwind, string, brass), cinematic percussion, choirs and other SFX.

Those libraries take up a lot of hard drive space (like, NI's Essential Strings alone, for instance, eat up 60+ gb in samples), and my machine's capacity is only 512 gigs, so I need an external SSD just for samples.

Now, the main question: a regular external SSD vs an internal SSD + an SSD box (a thingy that lets you place the internal HDD/SSD into a case and use it as an external drive.

A regular external SSD seems like a better option at first, but in my case the second option is around $50 cheaper, which means that I could buy a 2TB drive instead of a 1TB one.
Jun 7, 1:51 PM

Aug 2014
I bought the highest-performing internal 2TB SSD (at the time) and use it in an external enclosure because it's not compatible with my old motherboard. I plan on putting it in a fully custom desktop PC later.

If you are nearly broke, you shouldn't be spending what little money you have on this, though. Become more financially secure first (perhaps consider moving to a safer place as well), then worry about investing in hobbies. Even if you plan on turning music production into a career, it's highly unlikely that you will make much money. Most musicians who do it for a living don't make a lot of money from it.
Jun 7, 2:28 PM

Feb 2024
Find a job and buy that ssd thing you want, whatever it is. It's summer time, long hols in Ukraine, and they always need extra hands in restaurants and construction.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 7, 2:48 PM

Mar 2008
The only conditions you would need an SSD is

1. You will be carrying it around a lot and moving it a lot or have pets that could knock it over
  2. There is high humidity that would cause an HDD to fail
  3. You need the files to be written and read quickly

Otherwise an HDD will do which is much cheaper.

When you buy an external SSD you're mainly paying for the different form factor rather than any quality differences as far as I am aware. Also it would be smarter to have two 1TB SSDs over one 2TB SSD if you are using them externally in case one fails you still have half your stuff.
Jun 7, 3:08 PM

Aug 2014
traed said:
The only conditions you would need an SSD is

You will be carrying it around a lot and moving it a lot or have pets that could knock it over
There is high humidity that would cause an HDD to fail
You need the files to be written and read quickly

Otherwise an HDD will do which is much cheaper.

When you buy an external SSD you're mainly paying for the different form factor rather than any quality differences as far as I am aware. Also it would be smarter to have two 1TB SSDs over one 2TB SSD if you are using them externally in case one fails you still have half your stuff.

Gaming and music production can be intensive and stressful on a computer, so SSDs are beneficial for that.

SSDs are also generally better for active use, whereas HDDs are optimal for backups and long-term data storage. Of course, you're right that an HDD is fine enough for everything...if you're not worried about performance, that is.

You have to pay a premium for an external SSD, and it's a lot less versatile, whereas an internal SSD can be used the normal way or externally with an enclosure.

If you care about your data, you should always have it on multiple drives regardless.
Jun 7, 3:27 PM

Jan 2009
if you want more storage and less data rot then still go for HDD since SSD is only good for fast loading and read/write anyway but for long term storage solution then HDD is still king
Jun 7, 6:54 PM

Mar 2008
SmugSatoko said:
Gaming and music production can be intensive and stressful on a computer, so SSDs are beneficial for that.

SSDs are also generally better for active use, whereas HDDs are optimal for backups and long-term data storage. Of course, you're right that an HDD is fine enough for everything...if you're not worried about performance, that is.

You have to pay a premium for an external SSD, and it's a lot less versatile, whereas an internal SSD can be used the normal way or externally with an enclosure.

If you care about your data, you should always have it on multiple drives regardless.

Yeah I figured. I just was thinking it depends on if OP has what is needed for a project on the main internal drive and transfers what is no longer needed but may be needed later to another drive VS using the new drive to work on projects from directly.

There is also a third storage type called a Hybrid Drive or SSHD or in case of Apple the Fusion Drive which is a mix of the two basically uses the HDD part for storage and a small SSD (like 8GB - 128GB) as a cache for frequented files.

Looking up the humidity in Donbas it seems an HDD or Hybrid drive might not be best idea since seems pretty humid often. Not that SSDs are immune to humidity just they lack moving parts that are an additional weak point.
Jun 8, 4:05 AM

Jan 2020
Reply to traed
SmugSatoko said:

Yeah I figured. I just was thinking it depends on if OP has what is needed for a project on the main internal drive and transfers what is no longer needed but may be needed later to another drive VS using the new drive to work on projects from directly.

There is also a third storage type called a Hybrid Drive or SSHD or in case of Apple the Fusion Drive which is a mix of the two basically uses the HDD part for storage and a small SSD (like 8GB - 128GB) as a cache for frequented files.

Looking up the humidity in Donbas it seems an HDD or Hybrid drive might not be best idea since seems pretty humid often. Not that SSDs are immune to humidity just they lack moving parts that are an additional weak point.
traed said:
the humidity in Donbas

Bro, if by 'humidity' you meant the shelling with BM-21 Grad (which translates as "hail"), then you're literally a genius at black humor.
Jun 9, 10:11 AM

Feb 2018
you get an ssd for speed.
you get a hard drive for more storage.
If you need more speed, get an ssd.
If you need more storage and don't move files around that much. Get an HDD.
Resign? 🕊➤Yes / No Resign? Yes / ⚔➤No

Jun 9, 10:27 AM

Jan 2009
External SSDs won't help you much if you only have USB 3.0/USB 3.1 Gen 1. Unless you have at least USB 3.1 Gen 2, it's not worth the price difference between a regular external HDD and an SSD used, regardless whether it comes directly with a case or whether you have to buy the case for yourself.

The bigger question is: Why don't you just replace the internal drive with a 1-4TB SSD, depending on your needs and on your budget?

Jun 9, 3:15 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to Noboru
External SSDs won't help you much if you only have USB 3.0/USB 3.1 Gen 1. Unless you have at least USB 3.1 Gen 2, it's not worth the price difference between a regular external HDD and an SSD used, regardless whether it comes directly with a case or whether you have to buy the case for yourself.

The bigger question is: Why don't you just replace the internal drive with a 1-4TB SSD, depending on your needs and on your budget?

Noboru said:

Well, 'cause I'm a moron who doesn't even know how to hold a screwdriver properly (no jokes, btw).

Noboru said:
Unless you have at least USB 3.1 Gen 2

Oooh, so, if I take this:

then this:

and connect all of it up via a USB-C cable, am I gonna get PROFIT?
(idk wtf is happening but this setup is legit 2x cheaper than a regular USB 3.0 2TB external drive in the 2.5 form factor).
Jun 9, 3:31 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to tsukareru
you get an ssd for speed.
you get a hard drive for more storage.
If you need more speed, get an ssd.
If you need more storage and don't move files around that much. Get an HDD.
@tsukareru, thx, I get that. But the thing is that Kontakt pulls up samples from your hard drive, thus puts a decent amount of pressure on it, and when the I/O stream gets overloaded (basically, the sampler fails to pull up all the needed samples at the time they're requested by the DAW via MIDI triggers), the audio starts to crack and glitch out (I just called it "fart", since that's what is sounds like). I'm speaking this out of experience, because I used to run some DAW sessions with, like, 10 instances of Kontakt for some strings and cinematic percussion on an old-ass iMac with an HDD, and because the drive was as slow as me ageing mentally, I basically had to freeze and unfreeze tracks a million times to make the mix work.

So, yeah, I'd like to get a drive specifically for samples and Kontakt libraries, so I guess that SSD is the only optimal solution, really.
Jun 9, 7:33 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to RudeRedis
traed said:
the humidity in Donbas

Bro, if by 'humidity' you meant the shelling with BM-21 Grad (which translates as "hail"), then you're literally a genius at black humor.
@RudeRedis
Well when you approach it as a compliment it makes it harder to deny. But no i meant literally atmospheric humidity is damaging to storage devices because it corrodes the metal components. Maybe there is some mistranslation because hailstorms arent described as humidity in English although humidity probably rises during then, and i cant find info on any term of humidity being used to describe the BM-21 Grad. I had damaged my laptop's HDD where allocated sectors failed because I used to take it in the bathroom with me when I showered.
Jun 10, 7:18 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to RudeRedis
Noboru said:

Well, 'cause I'm a moron who doesn't even know how to hold a screwdriver properly (no jokes, btw).

Noboru said:
Unless you have at least USB 3.1 Gen 2

Oooh, so, if I take this:

then this:

and connect all of it up via a USB-C cable, am I gonna get PROFIT?
(idk wtf is happening but this setup is legit 2x cheaper than a regular USB 3.0 2TB external drive in the 2.5 form factor).
@RudeRedis And I guess you have no one nearby who can at least hold a screwdriver properly
What's your laptop model in the first place?

Basically if it is the right case for the right type and your laptop supports it, but I can't say anything about the quality, as I'm more familiar with S-ATA/SATA SSDs. And internal is always better than external

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one who doesnt like discord? ( 1 2 )

Bensku - Today

50 by AnimeFreak-San »»
5 minutes ago

» You may not be able to have offspring with your alien partner.

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

9 by traed »»
21 minutes ago

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships?

Amityblight - Yesterday

41 by LoveYourSmile »»
25 minutes ago

» What was your pooerest ever you have been?

HateFearHunger - Yesterday

32 by Timeline_man »»
27 minutes ago

» Life has its ups and downs, would you say you're at a low or at a high?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 8 hours ago

12 by LoveYourSmile »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.