Forum Settings
Forums
New
how often fiction affects reality?
Oct 27, 2022 3:32 PM

Jan 2009
i say sometimes or even often since i fap to my waifus whenever i feel like it

but for moral reasons or even personal influence then certainly sometimes but not always

how about you?

some TED-Ed video about it

https://youtu.be/ctaPAm14L10
degNov 1, 2022 11:07 AM
Oct 27, 2022 3:49 PM

Sep 2020
A wise man once said, "The truth is madder than fiction". And the hard truth is you need to stop fapping to your waifus....

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Oct 27, 2022 3:53 PM
Jan 2017
I mean it's kinda impossible to argue that it NEVER does. Hard to say how often that actually happens though
Oct 27, 2022 3:54 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
if you mean that fiction reliably results in measurable changes in reality, then no

if you mean "well fiction affects my feelings and my feelings are real maaaan!" then sure I guess but its a bit of a bastardized argument
Oct 27, 2022 4:00 PM

Jan 2009
_FRB_ said:
if you mean that fiction reliably results in measurable changes in reality, then no

how about anime propaganda like this one
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/2997
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Science
Oct 27, 2022 4:03 PM

Sep 2015
Deg affects me questioning my heterosexuality

Oct 27, 2022 4:04 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
deg said:
_FRB_ said:

how about anime propaganda like this one
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/2997
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Science

do you what I mean when I say "reliably" and "measurable"
Oct 27, 2022 4:16 PM

Oct 2019
unless it sending a bad message (showing something is not sending message, a message is saying X thing is good or bad or something along those lines.) NO.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeใ€ŒAMVใ€: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 27, 2022 4:25 PM

Sep 2018
Sometimes. Some world-class football players started playing after watching Captain Tsubasa.
Oct 27, 2022 4:26 PM

Feb 2021
If a tv show or book ever affected you emotionally like making you cry, then technically fiction affects reality.

As in it affects you in real life.
Oct 27, 2022 4:36 PM

Dec 2015
This sounds like something North America belives in.
me no. Reality is reality, fiction is fiction. They should not be mixed.

Oct 27, 2022 5:01 PM
Dec 2017
It really is just fiction and anyone who says otherwise is totally disenengious and should be ignored in all entirety.

Oct 27, 2022 11:01 PM

Jan 2018
anime is like the sparkles, but when you have the trigger coupled with catalyst it might just ended up real. we already have naked cosplayer ( i consider bikini as being naked) so the sexualization is not a fiction anymore. I don't go to anime convention so i don't have sauce.
Oct 27, 2022 11:08 PM

Jul 2021
imaging lewding and fapping to your waifus, i could never.

fiction doesn't affect my reality at all.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 27, 2022 11:47 PM

Oct 2008
How you view, interpret and act on fiction, affects our personal realities. But I wouldn't say that fiction affects reality in general.
Oct 27, 2022 11:58 PM
Oct 2022
Maybe, sometimes I see it often. But I usually don't see it
Oct 28, 2022 12:56 AM

May 2018
"fiction affects reality"

Yes, but not necessary in the way you think. Like you can get an idea or political statement or whatever, but reality will inevitably transform it into something different or even put you at the opposite side of the argument.
This is what fiction can do - to give you a little push, an after that the gravity of the real situation will drive you the way the things actually are.
Oct 28, 2022 1:04 AM

Mar 2008
Hardly ever at least not directly. Only time it effects the real world is when it introduces new ideas but it would have done the same if it was just presented another way so it’s not fiction but ideas that do these sort of things. Ideas themselves are also shaped by material conditions of societies and lives of individuals so they don’t come from nowhere though.
Oct 28, 2022 1:06 AM

Dec 2015
Fiction affects reality well I don't think it does in matter of inventions/everyday routine.

The only thing which is affected in my opinion is people's view on history which I've already pointed few times in past, which is how you see a Druid, a typical Roman Legionaire, a Viking, a Spartan warrior, a Gladiator... etc. etc.
Druids were running often naked and having sex with animals and were disgusting to even Roman people who were doing alot of nasty/kinky/disgusting stuff too and for them Druids were too much so don't think that it is some Panoramix from Asterix and Obelix or any MMORPG druid style, Legionaires wre not cutting with Gladius and "always" using Testudo, not to mention that people tend to think of a perfectly organised units with best quality armour and beatiful red cloth -> yes the armour often was shiny as it was one of their jobs but the quality not often, alot of them were wearing pink clothing cause it was cheaper and it didn't bland that often after washing like red clothing and NO Gladius is not for cutting, it is for thrusting [and if someone thought "Than it should be better purple than pink", Purple was reserved for only Royalty/Ceaser/Emperor for even wearing anything in that color like socks if you weren't in royalty line, you would be beheaded instantly that law survived till Byzantine Empire]. Vikings who are not wearing a shield with some different clothing, not wearing any armour and going dual axe against multiple opponents and surviving it... Let's be honest I don't need to say anything more to make you know.
ZettaikenOct 28, 2022 1:09 AM
Oct 28, 2022 2:20 AM

May 2020
You fap to your waifus? Bro that is rad...

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Oct 28, 2022 2:37 AM

Mar 2015
It does affect reality, but you probably shouldn't base how you live your life or your moral code on fiction.
Oct 28, 2022 3:42 AM

Oct 2017
Almost never. When you say fiction affects reality to me that implies fiction can be responsible for societal change and I just don't agree. Most things people attribute to fiction come from society. Art doesn't create any social issues, fears, wants whatever it just caters to what is already there. It's why when most people read political fiction they either twist the message to acclimate to their own beliefs, reject it when it doesn't or just pick things that do cater to them.

You can see in how art movements come about. Neoclassicism was the response to Enlightenment philosophy and when that world view became very jaded due to the horrors of the French Revolution Romanticism began to thrive. Even most of the art forms we talk about like moe where created in a response to what was going on in Japanese society in the 70s or 80s. I mean even escapist isekai probably is more a reaction to general concerns/fears in Japanese society/world than escapist isekai creating people who now want to escape the world after watching it. There already was something there that was appealing.

Violent video games don't create violence and exist because a lot of people have an innate desire to compete in something. It's no different than sport.

I mean since it's in the thread people talk about propaganda. Whether propaganda is actually effective is an interesting question because honestly it only seems effective in societies where media is heavily controlled or again responding to the person in question ingrained biases. There is nothing to suggest it can effectively shape someone to be something different.
BilboBaggins365Oct 28, 2022 3:48 AM
Oct 28, 2022 5:08 AM

Jul 2021
Directly? No. In short term? No. On a individual level? Hardly. Will you do X because an anime said X? No.

Anime doesn't have the reach or deal with subjects in heavy manner, but propaganda exists for a reason. And any media repeating that propaganda can solidify those messages as normal or common to reinforce an ideology. And people can use them to form their world view and act accordingly. Lots of "ifs" in a long ass chain of events, but still, that's how society and politics work.

Some examples of media affecting large groups or how we perceive certain events:
- The image of Vietnan soldiers going back to USA to be spat on by dirty hippies apparently was never a real issue, but Rambo started this common knowledge that anti-war people hated the individuals fighting and were unpatriotic, while they just disagreed with the government (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgrv78IvGD4).

- The Nazi army wasn't well organized but Triumph of the Will showed an image that became the default depiction on later media and a very nice model of strength and unity to embolden neo-fascists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1Qm1Z_D7w)

- Samurai's honor, pride and all that we think of it today was mostly a myth built after their period to sell cleaner, honorable and philosophical image of common foot soldiers, and by extent Japan's history (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5PJX1hdOPc)

- The fact that Germans are still apologizing for WW2 while Japan got a free pass for their war crimes, because WW2 depictions in media only include the D-Day and the camps and not the Rape of Nanking, sexual slavery and experiments on living prisoners made by Unit 731 (Shinzo Abe's grandpa). The worst we see of Japan is Pearl Harbor. (on unit 731 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9xvJXP_mTk)
PizzaHusbandoOct 28, 2022 5:16 AM
Oct 28, 2022 5:40 AM

Oct 2018
These discussions are 2deep4me but fapping to your waifus is based.
Oct 28, 2022 5:44 AM

Feb 2019
In a way, fiction has affected my whole life in the best way possible.
Fictional stories have made me into the person I am today and I'm so happy about it.

ใ€Žแด…แด‡แดแดษด-สŸษชแด‹แด‡ แดŠแดœแด…ษขแด‡ แด๊œฐ ๊œฐษชส€แด‡ใ€

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the biโ—ผ๏ธ?]

โ˜ฝ † โ˜พ
- แด…แด‡สŸษชแด แด‡ส€ษชแด‡๊œฑ
- ๊œฑษชษข แดแด€แด…แด‡ ส™ส สœแดœแดแด€ษดแด›แดกษชษข

Oct 28, 2022 6:19 AM

Oct 2013
I guess some people not mature enough to realize that thought experiment counts as fiction and can be applied to real life science
Oct 28, 2022 6:26 AM

Feb 2021
MadanielFL said:
If a tv show or book ever affected you emotionally like making you cry, then technically fiction affects reality.

As in it affects you in real life.

Agree with you. It works this way. Affects you also.
Oct 28, 2022 7:28 AM

Mar 2012
Shouldn't affect adults with common sense but it has a pretty high chance of influencing kids, teens and complete idiots, like the kid who jumped off a building after watching Platinum End thinking some angel would save him.

Also it might not affect reality but some things that anime glorifies as romantic are still disgusting to watch specially when fans obsess over it, if you have a fetish please keep it to yourself.
Oct 30, 2022 5:12 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Only idiots think that fiction affects reality.
Oct 30, 2022 5:23 PM

Jul 2016
I think it's less that fiction affects reality and more that we live on a planet where there's people stupid enough to let fiction influence their behavior.

Which I guess it means it kinda does, but that's not really the fault of it, lol.
Oct 30, 2022 5:31 PM
Nov 2021
Fiction affects reality by spending it
Oct 30, 2022 5:35 PM

Sep 2020
Nah the truth is still madder than fiction, my friend.

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Oct 30, 2022 7:40 PM

Dec 2012
It affects it greatly. Reality is shaped by the stories we tell ourselves. It helps to consolidate our thoughts & feelings towards reality and direct our lives towards a desired purpose. You don't watch The Lord of the Rings and think "Oh, that was a great consumer product and the story of resisting temptation and fighting for good has no bearing on me whatsoever. Time to eat a hamburger." NO! You see a beautifully crafted story of good vs evil and you want to imitate it. You want to find the good you're fighting for in life. You want to do what you can with the time that is given to you. Fiction & reality are inseparable aspects of the human condition.

At its core, art is meant to inspire. And in my life, anime has inspired me and led to changes in my lifestyle that have uplifted me during my darkest days.
Oct 30, 2022 9:13 PM

Apr 2015
Slam Dunk and Prince of Tennis prompted me to pick up basketball and tennis, respectively. While I was a kid, my free time were mostly consumed by video games and television. Those two shows greatly influenced my athletic endeavors. I don't play basketball as much anymore, but I do keep up with NBA. I'm still very into tennis; from watching tennis anime, watching ATP/WTA matches, and playing tennis consistently.
Oct 31, 2022 10:08 AM

Jan 2019
Fiction is just another instrument to tackle on ideas. It can be used to promote, contradict or question them. Or to parody them. It can also be used to simply present and reflect a portion of reality.
Oct 31, 2022 10:41 AM
Aug 2021
Maybe anime doesn't do all that much, but fiction in general? Definitely, both on the personal and societal level. We've had stories in some form or another since the dawn of civilisation. And there's quite a few people who believe that some or the other story changed their life. Obviously, fiction only provides the impetus for that, change can only occur due to the persons own efforts, but providing the impetus itself is enough for it to affect reality.
Oct 31, 2022 11:28 AM

Sep 2016
TsutanaiFuun said:

I love how your signature completely contradicts your comment lmao But I feel like that was your intention so thanks for making me giggle.
Oct 31, 2022 12:31 PM

Aug 2018
i like ice cream so im gonna eat a hot dog

Oct 31, 2022 10:19 PM

Jul 2021
Yogen-No-Ko said:
TsutanaiFuun said:

I love how your signature completely contradicts your comment lmao But I feel like that was your intention so thanks for making me giggle.
no that's not what i meant. just because i have thier pics in my signature doesn't mean i lewd them. i'm the last person on earth who will lewd their waifus. i feel nothing but moe for them.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 31, 2022 10:36 PM

Jan 2020
What scares me is that oftentimes, fiction is merely a reflection of reality or inspiration from reality. How often? I would not know, but I believe it's the other way around.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Nov 1, 2022 6:36 AM

Jan 2018
then again when i see another isekai, another one
Nov 1, 2022 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
Did anyone say it did not, propaganda films were made during war times for a reason. Even as an extreme outlier, it is an absolute asinine notion to think that media can't influence reality for better or worse.
Nov 1, 2022 8:06 AM

Sep 2021
Rarely I guess? I just saw a documentary on how a movie inspired some thieves to rob a bank. Even then it's not like watching tons of gore movies is gonna affect your mentality, or maybe for some.
Nov 1, 2022 8:17 AM

Jun 2016
To me. I think that reality affects fiction.
Nov 1, 2022 8:40 AM

Sep 2014
Everything in the universe is interacting with the reality. Fiction is one of an infinite amount of factors that affect reality. You just can't consider that a specific outcome is the result of one single thing.
Nov 1, 2022 9:01 AM

Nov 2019
And I thought animu fans were totally sensational human beings?
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Nov 1, 2022 9:06 AM

Jan 2013
This is just a clusterfuck of people arguing over semantics.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Nov 1, 2022 9:18 AM

Jun 2012
Obviously it does. People are motivated by fiction and take life lessons from fiction and often use fictional characters as role models, probably even more nowadays in an era where people don't have a strong local community or extended family like those in the past. There's a reason kids fictional TV is carefully curated. A lot of technological research is influenced by fiction too, such as wanting to develop AI and cyborgs. People get ideas of fun things to do, what subculture to be part of or create or how to lead relationships from fictional stories, characters or designs. Eg kids see movies where everyone is partying or like "yo yo shimmy yo shimmy ya shimmy yey" and decide they need to do that to be happy.
wolffanghamehaNov 1, 2022 9:22 AM
"The f**ker who goes round beating people to a pulp. He thinks it'll never happen to himself. But there's gonna be a day when the f**ker gets f**king beaten to a pulp too. But that day's f**king today and the guy doing the beating is a f**king c**t." - Sang-hoon, Breathless (2009)
Nov 1, 2022 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
some TED-Ed video about it

how fiction can change reality

https://youtu.be/ctaPAm14L10
Nov 5, 2022 3:49 PM

Oct 2020
The Thomas-Thomas theorem states "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences" meaning that perception is often more important than reality

More topics from this board

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 2 hours ago

11 by eblf2013 »»
1 minute ago

» Is your waifu inspired by other waifus?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

8 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - 10 hours ago

24 by Lost_Viking »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

39 by Yuno »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 7 hours ago

26 by Mualani »»
36 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.