Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2020 5:40 AM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Thread made in advance to reduce the competition for the first post.
The thread will be unlocked at 23:00 (JST) The thread is now unlocked.

A reminder of some rules:
  • Do not ask where to watch or post links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
  • If you absolutely need to make a reference to the LN, manga, WN or something that might happen in future episodes, use spoiler tags.
    [spoiler]your text here[/spoiler]

• Do not only post something like "good episode". Simple phrases posts are removed without notice.
  • Only use one screenshot. If you use more than one, your other pictures will be either put in spoilers or removed.
  • Do not resort to abuse or trolling.

You can find the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules here.
DeadlyRavenJul 29, 2020 7:01 AM
Jul 29, 2020 7:08 AM

Apr 2020
Subaru's father is really energetic, and he can also do a moonwalk.

After subaru said something touching, Subaru's father kicked his head lol

Woahh, this is the first time seeing Subaru wearing school clothes and going to school, and at school, Echidna is his classmate ?!
Jul 29, 2020 7:13 AM
Jul 2015
Shirase-san said:

Woahh, this is the first time seeing Subaru wearing school clothes and going to school, and at school, Echidna is his classmate ?!

Is there an ED or OP in this ep?

Jul 29, 2020 7:23 AM

Jun 2019
Imagine thinking that this episode was boring. 5/5.
Jul 29, 2020 7:28 AM

Apr 2020
ManhDang94 said:
Shirase-san said:

Is there an ED or OP in this ep?

In this episode, there is no OP yet, but the ED is already there.
Jul 29, 2020 7:36 AM
Jun 2020
it truly deserve a 5/5 this episode was so beautiful and emotional we finaly got to see why subaru was like he was i think he is now more determined then ever to save rem and protect emilia and the others + he has so caring parents he deserve them

and last subaru is the truly most realistic isekai mc that ever existed
Jul 29, 2020 7:39 AM
Oct 2015
Wow I cried with manly tears. Subaru's conversation with his mother was very touching, especially in the flashbacks before Subaru said "I'm off!". I couldn't hold back my tears
Jul 29, 2020 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
Subaru has been in that fantasy world for so long that it feels weird seeing his real life again, even if it's in the form of storytelling.memories with his father.

> Is there a girl you like?
Heh, and of course he hears Emilia's voice inside of his head.

I still think this is an important episode though as it explores more of Subaru's personality, his past, and relationships. The narrative coming from Subaru actually sounds realistic coming from his point of view. At least some people can relate to him, except the fantasy part.

Jul 29, 2020 8:03 AM

May 2019
From an Isekai where the MC went through all one season without to think one second about his previous life, this episode was a great turn of events, right?
Jul 29, 2020 8:07 AM
Feb 2018
Great episode, for me the second-best of the whole series to date. I only wondered how he realized so fast that this is/was not reality...

Feb 2019
Finally, the moment I’ve waited years for. Dona in a school outfit

Idk about y’all, but I think white Fox did an amazing job adapting this episode. That convo between Subaru and his mother at the end really hit me just like when I read it. This is up there with episodes 18-19 for Subaru’s development. Think they did really well with it.

Liked how there was no OP too, gave more time on the run time.

Next episode, more Dona, let’s go.

Jul 2014
White Fox outdoing themselves again. No OP and only ED, with almost 30 minutes of content.

Shirase-san said:
Yes, that's Echidna :)

And the next episode will explain what is going on :)
Feb 2016
The most emotional episode since "From Zero" in S1. Love the way both his parents talked to him, obviously not being the real ones, but Subaru faced his past, knowing that he won't see them again.
One thing that i liked is that almost every episode is not exactly 24 minutes, which gives us, the spectators, the need to see it until the end, no matter what.

Imo, Re:Zero is the best Isekai in this moment, and i can say it right now, after a long time holding it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2020 8:08 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This is the story of how Subara really ended up in the Isekai Quartet School.

All kidding aside, the episode really stretched things out and while it was good, it also felt repetitive. The episode didn't need the extra few minutes of runtime. At least we got to see into the "past" of Subaru and the relationship with his parents.
anime-primeJul 29, 2020 8:53 AM
Jul 29, 2020 8:10 AM

Jan 2014
This certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Was thinking the whole jump would be for half the episode, and then back to Emilia or anyone else. Not that it was bad, just found that interesting.

I really love how he is a mix of his parents personality wise. It's legit funny to me lol. Really is the spitting image of them.
Jul 29, 2020 8:11 AM
Jul 2020
This ep just moves you till you cry! Two very touching conversations that we see.
Subaru's parents are just wonderful. The all knowing mom and can-do-all dad.
Subaru's major struggle is wanting to fit the image of his dad's son.
This episode is one of the best from re:zero ever
Just loved it so so much
10/10
Jul 29, 2020 8:12 AM
Feb 2016
anime-prime said:

All kidding aside, the episodes really stretched things out and while it was good, it also felt repetitive. The episode didn't need the extra few minutes of runtime. At least we got to see into the "past" of Subaru and the relationship with his parents.

The LN or even the WN did summarize the Subaru/Mom dialogue, which imo was the one that i liked the most. I don't see any issue with the extra minutes, it felt good and one hole episode about him facing his past, was intense... Now, the thing will get a lil' hard from now on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2020 8:14 AM

Oct 2017
This was a touching episode. Subaru's conversation with his parents almost made me cry. Also woah Subaru in school outfit, he actually looks pretty cool in it.

Well now that he has confronted his past Echidna shows up, this got really interesting.
Jul 29, 2020 8:14 AM

Jul 2016
I think this episode did a pretty decent job at presenting Subaru's point of view.
It didn't have great animation but since it's only dialogue, it didn't affect my enjoyment.

Arc IV is finally starting for real. After a couple setup episodes we'll be getting more and more into the juicy stuff.

Hopefully the recent reviews will take this episode (and the next ones) into account. I feel judging this season based on the three setup episodes alone is unfair knowing what's coming next.
Jul 29, 2020 8:19 AM

Jul 2014
LuckoBj said:
Now, the thing will get a lil' hard from now on.
That is the understatement of the year, I think :)
Jul 29, 2020 8:19 AM
Mar 2016
Basically a 1:1 adaption.

Amazing work on the pacing. Didn't expect to get as many feels as I did.
Jul 29, 2020 8:20 AM

May 2018
I like how the past life is shown for a change in Isekai.
He finally managed to respond to his mother's "itterasshai", even though this time he actually knows he won't be back... It was a nice touch to an already emotional episode.

The ending theme is beautiful.

Jul 29, 2020 8:22 AM
???

May 2014
What an amazing episode. It is probably the best episode so far. So many emotions on this one. 10/10.

" a scattered dream that's like a far-off memory. a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream. i want to line the pieces up--yours and mine. "

Jul 29, 2020 8:22 AM
Jan 2019
The best Re:Zero episode ever. I cried just like I did when reading the web novel. Thank you for making this episode, White Fox and staff. It's perfect!
Jul 29, 2020 8:23 AM

Aug 2013
A beautiful and emotional episode. Subaru realising one of the most important things, his parents. I almost cried when he was talking to his parents.

Imo one of the best episodes in this series. Subaru got his eyes from his mother. He really has loving parents.

Echidna at the end in school uniform. She looks good.

Jul 29, 2020 8:25 AM
Apr 2018
This episode had so much feels, I was crying watching it.
I love Subaru's parents you can see how much they cared about their son.
If people think Subaru doesn't get character development this episode just proves he does, it proves that Subaru has changed and isn't the same person he was at the start of Re:Zero.
He talks to his parents about who he was and what he felt, and they both encourage their son like loving parents do.
Subaru's parents take a different routes back while Subaru goes forward to what awaits him.
Those scenes were masterfully done, I can't wait for what awaits him in the future.
When Subaru's Dad Said 'Give It Your All' & When Subaru's Mother Said 'Take Care'....
I Broke Down Crying!

Episode Rating: 10/10
A perfect episode showcasing Subaru's growth as a character & one of the best episodes of Re:Zero ever.
I Loved Every Single Second Of This Episode, So Many Tears Were Shed

-Mattcha-Jul 29, 2020 8:37 AM
Jul 29, 2020 8:26 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Character interactions aren't really the best part of this show.

3/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jul 29, 2020 8:27 AM
Jan 2019
Probably one of my favorite episodes and also probably one of the most emotional ones. To me it dives deep into the characters backstory and personality and shows how Subaru's "otherworldly experience" has changed him as a person over the course of the series. The psychological-drama elements, were relatable and interesting and definitely added to I see Subaru as a character. Overall I think it was a very emotional heartwarming episode and one of my favorites in the series as we see how much Subaru has progressed as a character.
Jul 29, 2020 8:27 AM
Jan 2019
Probably one of my favorite episodes and also probably one of the most emotional ones. To me it dives deep into the characters backstory and personality and shows how Subaru's "otherworldly experience" has changed him as a person over the course of the series. The psychological-drama elements, were relatable and interesting and definitely added to I see Subaru as a character. Overall I think it was a very emotional heartwarming episode and one of my favorites in the series as we see how much Subaru has progressed as a character.
Jul 29, 2020 8:28 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Were not even halfway through Season 2 and this episode had me very emotional. I love the dynamic between Sabaru and his parents. Sabaru's dad reminds me of Ichico's dad from Bleach. Even though it was a dream it was nice to see Sabaru go back to school and Echidna looked good in high school uniform.
Jul 29, 2020 8:29 AM

Feb 2016
A perfect presentation.

Subaru finally overcame his past. His character growth is remarkable.
Quite a fresh sight to see Echdina in a school uniform.

An amazing ED not falling behind Myth&Roid
Jul 29, 2020 8:36 AM

Aug 2013
What a beautiful episode!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 29, 2020 8:38 AM
Jan 2018
5/5 episode for sure. It shows us the protagonist's backstory, something rare when it comes to isekai.
Teared up like 2-3 times even knowing what happens (I read the novel)
Jul 29, 2020 8:39 AM

Feb 2019
Damn subaru has nice parents. Echidina-tan at the end in school uniform looks nice.

"Umm father, I have a girl I like, she's just......................................................from another world" - Every weeb ever.

Jan 2016
What a heartfelt episode, I loved it!

Subaru is confronting his past, he had a very tough life living in the shadow of his successful father. Subaru talked about his problems and how he wanted to be hated by his own parents but he didn't know how much he is loved by them.

His father listened to him and told him to do his best and his mother told him some very wise words for him to think upon.

Now that Subaru has accepted his past and decided to move over thanks to the help of his caring friends, he went to school and met with a surprising guest named Echidna.

It's getting more and more interesting~!

Sep 2018
I almost broke into tears when Subaru remembered that he didnt answer his mother's "itterasshai" the last time he saw her...

Most of the isekai dont really go into the past of the MC that much or even what their friends and family are going through, but since Subaru's mentality is such a major part of Re;Zero seeing him face him past trauma and see his parents one last time was incredibly touching. Well done anime, well done.

10/10 best emotional episode!
well that's just my opinion.....
Jul 29, 2020 8:40 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So everything has been made by Echidna to confront Subaru to his past and his parents ?
It was WONDERFUL, like one of the best episode of the whole series.
It's so great to know more about Subaru's past and his relations with parents, his father and mother are so kind.
Subaru's character is even better now
Jul 29, 2020 8:40 AM

Jan 2017
It was nice to see some of Subaru's backstory and the reasons why he turned out the way he did then and how that carried over into the isekai world. It seems like he may have worked through some of those issues and it will be interesting to see what implications(if any) that will have on the story aside from maybe passing the witch's trial.
Jul 29, 2020 8:41 AM
Dec 2019
Two things I could say about this episode. 1, Very emotional. 2, Subaru's dad is the best!
Jul 29, 2020 8:42 AM

Jul 2020
Goddamn I can't put to words how much I love this episode. To be honest I haven't been able to connect to Subaru's character, but now after seeing this, he feels so genuine.

His feelings, his family. Heck I think his the most "real" isekai main character I've ever seen.

Such a beautiful episode, I teared up not gonna lie. That conversation with his parents. Him saying sorry because he never have been able to repay them really hits home.

The part when he says that he wanted his parents to hate him, disown him because his been nothing but dead weight. I know many people experienced the same thing. I just love how his parents continue to support him and love him.

Best episode of Season 2 so far and yeah never thought that I need to see Echidna on uniform.

5/5 for me.

I accept random friend requests!
Jul 29, 2020 8:42 AM
Mar 2016
anime-prime said:

All kidding aside, the episodes really stretched things out and while it was good, it also felt repetitive. The episode didn't need the extra few minutes of runtime. At least we got to see into the "past" of Subaru and the relationship with his parents.

??? It wasn't repetitive at all, and it wasn't stretched. This is a perfect adaption of the source material.
Jul 29, 2020 8:44 AM
Jul 2020
Subaru's father is something extremely cringe.
The mother seems to me the most normal person in the family.
I would have liked to see Ram's reaction to his parents, I think he would have had no doubts.
In any case, a wonderful episode, it explains a lot about Subaru's past and pushes us to deal with it so that on the return to the world of Luganica it can blossom and ascend to its destiny.
Echidna in the end does not surprise me much, from the beginning she had chosen him as a champion for the test of the sanctuary and logical to think that she will keep an eye on him also in this dimension.
Jul 29, 2020 8:44 AM
Jan 2018
Dragloncon said:
anime-prime said:

??? It wasn't repetitive at all, and it wasn't stretched. This is a perfect adaption of the source material.

There are some people here for the suffering and not for development...
Not saying that guy is, just don't be surprised if people shit on this episode for being boring
Jul 29, 2020 8:46 AM
May 2015
Damn that episode did a number on me. Haven't cried that hard since the Rem confession scene. I wish I had parents like that lol.
Jul 29, 2020 8:48 AM

Feb 2020
This is definitely on my top 3 Re:zero episodes now. It really hits in the feels.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Jul 29, 2020 8:49 AM

May 2017
kind of felt bored from this episode lol. everyone in here crying like how. Season in general is pretty mediocre so far
Jul 29, 2020 8:51 AM
Apr 2018
This episode was amazing!
I had to keep pausing it for me to hold back tears.
This episode is 100% a 10/10.
Jul 29, 2020 8:51 AM

Jan 2017
Really loved the new episode. It was quite emotional. It made me cry a little. And also loved that Emilia flashback :)

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jul 29, 2020 8:52 AM

Jun 2017
Damn that was amazing. I know it was "fake" going back but Echidna really did a great thing for Subaru with this trial so far.

Also respect for the studio for not cutting this episode in half..not many can get away with almost a 30 min episode with such tight broadcasting schedules around. Seeing the ending for the first time in full, they nailed that too perfectly.

Absolutely hyped for next week.
Jul 29, 2020 8:52 AM
Dec 2019
what an amazing episode i loved every second of it its rare we get to see a past of an isekai character like this also we now have both the op and ed 5\5 the best so far
Pages (14) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

606 by Ardi8 »»
Sep 8, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 30, 2020

508 by AhmedJafar1 »»
Sep 6, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Jul 15, 2020

429 by aniliker »»
Aug 31, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by HoLoVN1608 »»
Aug 28, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

454 by Baka_God »»
Aug 13, 4:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.