Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 12, 2017 8:15 PM

Mar 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really no discussion thread for this movie?
I went this afternoon to the cinema to see Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni, and I loved everything from it: animation, music, story, characters, all. It has a lot of feelings, Movie takes about 2 hours but you don't feel it that long. from funny moments to sad scenes that can make you cry. I thought the ending was going to be quite sad, but it is not, and I'm satisfied with that.
10/10, would watch it again, even if it is in spanish, because in my city (TJ, MEX) was available only in that language.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Mar 23, 2017 3:53 AM

Nov 2009
The movie is playing in the cinema this Saturday. Can't see it because the trains don't drive after 23:00!
Mar 24, 2017 3:44 AM
Jan 2012
Year 2016 was a good year for Japanimation fans, as good films were shown at cinemas in Japan, which received extended projection at cinemas well into 2017, and are now showing at cinemas in several countries around the globe.

There was Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice), which I think was one of the animated best films of the past several years, as well as Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name), which became a large hit (although I am rather puzzled why it ranks at the top of MAL ranking- perhaps I've become too old to understand and enjoy such films).

However, as much as I like Koe no Katachi very much, I will have to say that the best film of Japanimation of 2016, or within the past decade perhaps (and maybe the best Japanimation of all time, just maybe), is Kono Sekai no Katsumi ni (In This Corner of This World). I knew it was an instant classic at the opening scene, and I strongly felt so while seeing the end credit of the film.

Best Animation of the Year Award at the 40th Japan Academy Awards was won by Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni, and not by Kimi no Na Wa. It won the Best Japanese Film and Best Director Award at the authoritative 90th Kinema Junpo Best 10 Award (not the best animated film, but the best film). I fully agree with that judgement.

There is a slight controversy though over how the story was cut from the original manga though; the director seems to have regrets about it (as it had to be cut because of budget reasons, not because of artistic reasons), and the producer has hinted on remaking it to the extended version. The cut out part from the story, I think, is very important, which involves the past secrets of the unfortunate friend of Suzu, Rin (a second heroine of the movie although in the shadows), who never had a chance of finding happiness in her corner of the world (the cut out note-book, the slight tension between husband and wife, and the end credit pictures should all make sense).
GohanwaOkazuMar 24, 2017 3:54 AM
Apr 8, 2017 10:02 AM

Aug 2015
Just watched it. I really liked it, it was a very beautiful film. The voice actor for Suzu was awesome, will definitely look her up. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I liked it more than Grave of the Fireflies. A complaint would be that it moved a bit slow, I do like slice of life but there was not a whole lot of things going on, I wish there was something else before the war that we could focus on, like some sort of obstacle or objective. I also wish there was a bit more romance between the couple. That scene in the shelter should've been longer for example. Don't hate me for this, but my biggest issue with this film was that I do not think they managed to show a lot of realistic emotions in the characters. I say 8.5/10

As mentioned above me I would love to see those things left out of the manga in an extended edition.
JokucApr 8, 2017 10:11 AM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 9, 2017 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
Jokuc said:
Just watched it. I really liked it, it was a very beautiful film. The voice actor for Suzu was awesome, will definitely look her up...
I like Non as an actress and think she brings the right temperament to this role. The following level of detail for the creation of Suzu's voice was mostly lost on me but is perhaps interesting to mention here too. In interviews she has mentioned that the instruction for her enactment of Suzu didn't just involve adopting one local dialect but two - closely related. Since Suzu partially grew up inside the heart of Hiroshima city and then moved to adjacent Kure they attempted to have her speak as someone who speaks the Hiroshima "dialect" of Kure-city but spoken as someone who originally spoke the Hiroshima dialect of Hiroshima-city itself. To local people that nuance is detectable. It is nice that this aspect too will be preserved through this film.

On March 18, 2017, Non received the Special Prize at the eleventh annual Seiyū Awards, for this role.

I too would love to see an extended edition.

This comment is also posted to note that Seven Seas Entertainment announced an English translation of the three manga volumes.To be published in a single Omnibus, scheduled for release in the Fall of 2017.
This will make the story accessible to a slightly broader audience and will assure that it can continue to exist alongside the film in any version and in more than one language.
removed-userApr 9, 2017 12:45 AM
Apr 15, 2017 7:56 AM

Dec 2013
Just watched it, and absolutely loved it.

Their portrayal of everyday life in times of war through Suzu's eyes was special considering her usual disposition and the way she lived her life. The pallets they used in this movie reminded me of old Ghibli films, as did the very atmosphere that they tried to portray.

The romance played out just like it would have in the olden days as well, what with traditional couples and lack of PDA, even within their homes. They really kept to historical correctness in most parts there.

To be honest, the show itself told a great story, and I found myself extremely emotional by the end of it, seeing how these normal people had to deal with the dredges of war and the aftermath of something as horrible as the US Nuclear bombings of Hiroshima. Even their sense of loss and injustice after receiving their Emperor's transmission signaling their countries defeat was extremely well portrayed. Makes me emotional just remembering those scenes of Suzu and her sister-in-law.

The ending scene where they as a family and as a nation began to pick their lives back up was beautiful. And even that special animation during the credits telling the story of Rin and her connection with Suzu was also so very special.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 7, 2017 7:52 PM
Nov 2010
I watched it while I was on my plane headed to Japan and boy I loved this movie and as others have stated , I got really emotional at the end of it.
May 8, 2017 7:20 PM
Apr 2012
MrJc said:
I watched it while I was on my plane headed to Japan and boy I loved this movie and as others have stated , I got really emotional at the end of it.

Did the same about six weeks ago, what a well-crafted film. Had me crying in my seat more than once.
Jun 28, 2017 5:15 PM

Feb 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:
There is a slight controversy though over how the story was cut from the original manga though; the director seems to have regrets about it (as it had to be cut because of budget reasons, not because of artistic reasons), and the producer has hinted on remaking it to the extended version. The cut out part from the story, I think, is very important, which involves the past secrets of the unfortunate friend of Suzu, Rin (a second heroine of the movie although in the shadows), who never had a chance of finding happiness in her corner of the world (the cut out note-book, the slight tension between husband and wife, and the end credit pictures should all make sense).
SOURCE ON THE BOLDED PLEASE O:

Instead of a just a director's cut I wonder if there can be a crowdfunding drive again for another full length feature film looking at the same story from another angle. That would be even better.
Jun 30, 2017 8:25 AM
Jul 2016
Tokyo Theatre , Japanese distributor of this movie, replied at annual shareholder's meeting (29th, June) , that they'll discuss about releasing full version of this movie with the production committee . I don't know what 'full version' means precisely.
Jun 30, 2017 8:54 AM

Apr 2014
Just watched the film in theaters a while ago, and I have to say its one of the better animated films to come out that left me speechless by the end, along with wolf children and princess kaguya. An instant classic no doubt

I just notice it though, that some scenes in the trailer didn't show up in the film. like this one:

Is this the thing that they said they cut out of the story
BernieSorbetJun 30, 2017 8:59 AM
Jul 1, 2017 12:33 AM

Oct 2015
Watched it at theaters today, I kept waiting on the heavy drama but it did stay light hearted till the end and I thought the movie was about moving on from the disaster but I found outit was about family in the end Lol. Some parts didnt really quite add up to me like what exactly was the significance of that guy who was childhood friend's with Suzu and the meaning of Harumi's death. It was nice but I expected more. and Lol the subtitles were delayed by 5 seconds when I watched it at cinemas 6/10
EGOISTJul 1, 2017 12:39 AM
Jul 3, 2017 7:51 AM
Jan 2015
Can anyone explain to me how Sumi survived? I didn't catch it while I was watching the film, the sub in the cinema was a second or two delayed.
Jul 4, 2017 1:02 AM

Apr 2017
FCsean said:
Can anyone explain to me how Sumi survived? I didn't catch it while I was watching the film, the sub in the cinema was a second or two delayed.

She only got the fallout radiation and not in the actual blast itself. But still, that bruise which she showed to Suzu is a sign that she won't last too long either before the radiation took over her body.
Jul 7, 2017 6:44 PM
Jan 2015
Oh so not all of Hiroshima got bad radiation poisoning and some parts like where her sister was staying at just had a little.
Jul 8, 2017 1:16 AM

Apr 2017
FCsean said:
Oh so not all of Hiroshima got bad radiation poisoning and some parts like where her sister was staying at just had a little.

That's it~ It's a pity Suzu's sister will eventually die from it tho T.T She's pretty...
Jul 13, 2017 8:03 AM
Jan 2012
EGOIST said:
Some parts didnt really quite add up to me like what exactly was the significance of that guy who was childhood friend's with Suzu and the meaning of Harumi's death. It was nice but I expected more. and Lol the subtitles were delayed by 5 seconds when I watched it at cinemas 6/10

Hmm... That guy (Tetsu Mizuhara) and Suzu had a sort of feeling for each other, although the two never got to marry. The guy would have normally died as he was fighting as a sailor at the front, but by some chance he would not be killed (and as he could be killed, and as Suzu's husband knew they still liked each other, he let them spend the night together when the guy came back for a leave - prompting Suzu's anger). The guy (Mizuhara) symbolizes a path Suzu did not take, just like Rin- the girl Suzu befriended, but actually worked at the brothel for the soldiers at the port, and was the crush of Suzu's husband - who thought about marrying her, but by protest from the family, chose to marry Suzu; Rin died by air strike. So the movie's theme is more like the miracle of finding someone special in a corner of this world, when there were different paths to take (Suzuku could have died if she stayed in or went back to Hiroshima; Suzu's sister could have survived if she was out of Hiroshima; Harumi would have lived on and Keiko would have not suffered so much if war had ended sooner [the most poignant scene was Keiko crying after hearing the announcement, realizing that she lost her child all for nothing]). There is a back story which you might have missed, and would not be entirely clear unless you read the original manga, although things are also implied in the movie.
GohanwaOkazuJul 13, 2017 8:20 AM
Jul 13, 2017 8:27 AM

Oct 2015
GohanwaOkazu said:
EGOIST said:
Some parts didnt really quite add up to me like what exactly was the significance of that guy who was childhood friend's with Suzu and the meaning of Harumi's death. It was nice but I expected more. and Lol the subtitles were delayed by 5 seconds when I watched it at cinemas 6/10

Hmm... That guy (Tetsu Mizuhara) and Suzu had a sort of feeling for each other, although the two never got to marry. The guy would have normally died as he was fighting as a sailor at the front, but by some chance he would not be killed (and as he could be killed, and as Suzu's husband knew they still liked each other, he let them spend the night together when the guy came back for a leave - prompting Suzu's anger). The guy (Mizuhara) symbolizes a path Suzu did not take, just like Rin- the girl Suzu befriended, but actually worked at the brothel for the soldiers at the port, and was the crush of Suzu's husband - who thought about marrying her, but by protest from the family, chose to marry Suzu; Rin died by air strike. So the movie's theme is more like the miracle of finding someone special in a corner of this world, when there were different paths to take (Suzuku could have died if she stayed in or went back to Hiroshima; Suzu's sister could have survived if she was out of Hiroshima; Harumi would have lived on and Keiko would have not suffered so much if war had ended sooner [the most poignant scene was Keiko crying after hearing the announcement, realizing that she lost her child all for nothing]). There is a back story which you might have missed, and would not be entirely clear unless you read the original manga, although things are also implied in the movie.
thanks for taking your time to explain it, I kinda get the gist of it now :)
Jul 13, 2017 8:30 AM
Jan 2012
BernieSorbet said:
Just watched the film in theaters a while ago, and I have to say its one of the better animated films to come out that left me speechless by the end, along with wolf children and princess kaguya. An instant classic no doubt

I just notice it though, that some scenes in the trailer didn't show up in the film. like this one:

Is this the thing that they said they cut out of the story

Yes, exactly; to have the film shorter, to complete by due time, so as not to become a commercial failure - the director was compromised to cut some originally planned scenes which exists in the manga version - which is controversial, and the director still grudges about it. There are plans to make a sort of director's edition though and add the omitted scenes.

I'm not really sure whether the addition would make the film greater. The end roll does portray Suzu's husband meeting with Rin at the brothel, so it's not difficult to understand the implications.

However, Rin's side story is VERY IMPORTANT. Rin symbolizes a girl who was just not lucky enough to find happiness in life - she's an alter ego of the heroine. Rin was poor; she had to earn a living as a prostitute for the naval forces at the port, met Suzu's husband who fell in love with her but could not marry because of her way of life and opposition from his family, met Suzu and become a sort of friend although with mixed feelings, and was eventually killed by incendiary bombings. She just did not have the luck to survive.

There are a few scenes which seems puzzling, but once you understand the whole thing, it should all makes sense.

War slowly encroaches on our daily lives. When I think about those people trying to live a normal life in war-torn countries like Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, my heart aches.
GohanwaOkazuJul 13, 2017 8:59 AM
Jul 30, 2017 11:20 AM
Oct 2015
So, I watched the film on the cinema but I have a few doubts:

First, some people are saying that Rin and Shuusaku were in love but he chose to be with Suzu for his family ... That means that, even at the end, he was in love with Rin and not with Suzu? He eventually loves her? Is he in love with Suzu too?

The woman at the end of the film, the one that dies and has glass piercing her ... Is she someone that we have seen or a random person?

And I'd understood that Mizuhara (Suzu's friend) is alive by the end of the film, but my mother says Suzu is just remembering him, and he's dead. Is it true?

Finally, when the credits are being shown, a short story is told through drawings, supposedly Rin's story. I have understood parts, like when she goes to the city and become a prostitute, but I do not get it all. Like, at the beginning she's with more kids. Her brothers? And then it looks like she ran away from them. The last part is confusing for me too, is it showing that she died?

I know there are a lots of question, but if someone is kind enough I will be grateful to be able to understand better the film.
Aug 2, 2017 1:36 AM

Sep 2008
Count me in on the "watched it on the plane" crowd.

A very solid wartime slice of life. An excellent depiction of slice of life and how it's the civilians who end up suffering after some questionable decisions at the top to go to war.

Surprised they showed one scene at the end which has been a taboo according to my dad regarding war history; the burning of all newspapers and documentation of the war.
Hyouka and real-life Takayama comparison blog: Completed 31/10/2015
http://hyoukaorigination.blogspot.com/

Aria the Animation and real-life Venice comparision blog:
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Aug 16, 2017 10:05 PM

Dec 2013
Time after time, I keep coming back to this film. It is so well grounded into the themes of normalcy and maintaining that - even when the war comes to them. Suzu's coming to terms with the world, in both anger and regret, was enthralling. Well, something like that. It is all so real in a way I can never imagine.

ah, Suzu's reactions were great. All those head tilts. lol

And the scenery throughout... it makes me quite reminiscent, too

I'll be quite excited to see some director cuts version because rin's story is not explained enough as a counterpart to Suzu's story here. Surely there was something more with Shuusaku about this Rin, too.

^^ Like Ylenie said, I'm confused about what happened with Rin. Did she just run away after hitting the baby in the head? Maybe I will have to read through the manga...
kawyuaAug 17, 2017 1:05 AM
Aug 28, 2017 11:53 AM
Mar 2015
I watched the animated film and then the live action film. I actually prefer the live action film. The animated film did not contain large portions of Rin's story She remains basically unexplained. Rin becomes a friend to Suzu in the LA film
Also my viewing pleasure was interfered with by Badsubs subtitles in the animated version I saw It was so bad that it seemed like Google Translate was used to translate the text
Aug 31, 2017 9:36 AM

Jul 2015
I watched this movie last night and I could say I was left speechless and drowned with emotions from watching it. Even thou the sub is really bad, I still could grasp points after points that were offered by the movie. The artwork is really perfect for the wartime era. It gives you a charming feeling but yet, still perfectly suit with the poignant scene. I giggled a lot at Suzu's face reaction, to be honest.

The first half of the movie started with the daily life of Suzu. Trying to fit in her husband's family, she was starting to learn cooking, doing laundry, shopping, and etc. Those scenes after scenes really added realism which shows how was the daily life of a housewife who lives on wartime. The first half is the built up and development but the second half is where the best part of the movie comes. War entered the beginning of the end. Paths and decisions that should be taken by Suzu which was not always the right one. A perfect painting which illustrated the war time: agony, despair, suffering, the loss of people whom you hold dear, fears, and hopes, all come together and left me fluttering feelings and goosebumps.

A perfect movie which described that our world is not always a rainbow. War and starvation still happened right now. And this movie perfectly tells me that beyond the corner of this world, there are different things happened which are not always the same for every part. Seeing some countries still in a war state, and some countries are starting to declare a war, left me an angry feeling. Peace is still an illusion in the end.

Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni is a perfect movie in the end. I don't think twice to give it a straight 10/10 for it. Kimi no Na Wa or Koe no Katachi in 2016? Nah, it is Kono Sekai no Katasumi Ni.~
Sep 18, 2017 8:57 PM

Jul 2009
Having been to Hiroshima myself and seeing the memorial and A-Bomb dome firsthand made this all the more emotional. I was hesitant to watch it at first because I thought it would be like Grave of the Fireflies (which was good, don't get me wrong) and leave me feeling very hopeless and depressed. But the slice of life aspect of this made it more pleasant to watch. I like how well they captured every day life in Japan even during times of war.

For real though, if anyone ever finds themselves in Japan, definitely go see the memorial in Hiroshima (or Nagasaki). It will break your heart and make you really appreciate what you've got.
Oct 16, 2017 2:24 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Bit unusual to see a WW2-era movie which is neither action-packed or dramatic but more about the little stuff from a civilian point of view. On one hand that makes it original but I also felt like it could've used a bit more actual... well, story. It's a very realistic film but I wasn't really sure what to feel while watching it this way. I mean sure it's sad seeing people go through this much misery, but well that's war for you, what do you expect

It's a decent film but I can't say there's anything that makes it really stand out beyond being realistic. But if that's all you crave you could just as well go watch an actual historical documentary instead, so I'm not convinced that alone is enough to make it a masterpiece exactly

Still 7/10 though
Oct 20, 2017 5:12 AM
Oct 2017
i saw that in spanish (no subtitles) and it was so sad and depressing :( the protagonist is so cute you would like to hug and comfort her in every minute of the movie

but i didn't undestand several things

- why does she accept the marriage proposal ? wasn't se in love with tetsu ?

- did she get pregnant and lost the baby ? there is a scene where she seems to be pregnant (you will now eat for 2) but her tummy does not grow in all the movie and it seems she is not pregnant not even she had sex with her husband

the anime is so cute .. which other avaliable manganime from fumiyo konyo do you know ?
Oct 21, 2017 4:01 AM

Apr 2017
eljose79 said:
i saw that in spanish (no subtitles) and it was so sad and depressing :( the protagonist is so cute you would like to hug and comfort her in every minute of the movie

but i didn't undestand several things

- why does she accept the marriage proposal ? wasn't se in love with tetsu ?

- did she get pregnant and lost the baby ? there is a scene where she seems to be pregnant (you will now eat for 2) but her tummy does not grow in all the movie and it seems she is not pregnant not even she had sex with her husband

the anime is so cute .. which other avaliable manganime from fumiyo konyo do you know ?

Yeah, I agree that she's so cute and it makes us wants to hug her ;)

She accepted the proposal maybe because of how it was done in the past. Arranged marriage, you know? She also maybe agreed to it so that it would help her family's economy...

About her fetus ... maybe she had a miscarriage due to heavy activities she performed... She and her husband had their first night together, do you remember?
Oct 23, 2017 12:50 PM
Oct 2017
el_morris said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Really no discussion thread for this movie?
I went this afternoon to the cinema to see Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni, and I loved everything from it: animation, music, story, characters, all. It has a lot of feelings, Movie takes about 2 hours but you don't feel it that long. from funny moments to sad scenes that can make you cry. I thought the ending was going to be quite sad, but it is not, and I'm satisfied with that.
10/10, would watch it again, even if it is in spanish, because in my city (TJ, MEX) was available only in that language.
[quote=el_morris message=49961068]THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

but are there more episodes ? :O poor suzu
Oct 26, 2017 7:27 PM

Jul 2015
I honestly prefered this movie way, waaaay more than Grave of the Fireflies, this one knew how to made me like the characters via great interactions and I think that it balanced the drama to make it hit hard but not just be pure depression like the other to the point I (yes, I know the tragedy of the setting) felt it was just too much.

I didn't go to this movie with much expectations due to their clear comparisons but I left very satisfied and with my heart just the right amount of broken, still not sure about the rating but it will be either an 8 or a 9.
Oct 27, 2017 12:09 AM

Aug 2014
More slice-of-life than other movies of the setting, though no less emotional. Even some great comedic moments. Love the way Suzu's art and imagination was integrated into the film, really got a feel for her character. Would have definitely appreciated it more if Lin's story wasn't relegated to the credits. Even not having read the source, it felt like a rather large part of the narrative is missing, with all the meetings with Lin and her child of little meaning. Shame. Beautiful movie.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 27, 2017 3:14 AM

Aug 2013
Poor Suzu. She suffered a lot and yet managed to stay strong. From what I understood, it seems the child that Suzu and Shuusaku took in is Rin's daughter.

Overall, this was beautiful movie. With some lighthearted scenes and emotional moments, it did well to portray civilians in a middle of war. 8/10. Going to read the manga for this.

Oct 27, 2017 9:49 AM

Apr 2012
And here I thought Suzu is going to be in love with the childhood friend like Natsume Soseki's 'Sorekara' haha. Good thing she is loyal to her husband.
Oct 27, 2017 12:10 PM
Oct 2017
paru_pal said:
And here I thought Suzu is going to be in love with the childhood friend like Natsume Soseki's 'Sorekara' haha. Good thing she is loyal to her husband.

i thought the same thing, that suzu would marry his schoolfriend perhapsh he should have declared suzu his love before she was an adult and married her

the school firend dies when the oba imperial ship is destroyed doesn't he :( so sad
Oct 27, 2017 12:31 PM

Jan 2015
Well fuck, this was sad

Some confusing things here and there but well, still a 10/10
XenocrisiOct 27, 2017 12:39 PM
Oct 27, 2017 1:16 PM

Apr 2012
eljose79 said:
paru_pal said:

i thought the same thing, that suzu would marry his schoolfriend perhapsh he should have declared suzu his love before she was an adult and married her

the school firend dies when the oba imperial ship is destroyed doesn't he :( so sad

Right?! I was rooting for the childhood friend for like almost half of the movie but then I realized its good the way it is, otherwise it would get messed up if she cheat on her husband haha
Oct 27, 2017 3:03 PM

Mar 2015
i haven't felt this torn inside from an anime in a while. i thought i found all the good peices out there and japan cannot outgrow itself anymore. but no.. this one proved me wrong. i have no obligations whatsoever. but I sort of got lost after midway with the old ppl. i saw new faces every time the bombs hit. i wonder who were the extra family memebers that joined later
Oct 27, 2017 10:27 PM

Dec 2015
feeling bored when watching this at the early part , but when the bombing came , the war , nuke , it just felt so sad. war is truly fearsome and painful , you lost so many dearest to you.
This one almost made me cry........ almost.

Never cried from watching a movie. maybe i cant cry anymore because i cried a lot when i was at kid
Oct 28, 2017 5:41 AM

Mar 2015
Exeterna said:

Never cried from watching a movie. maybe i cant cry anymore because i cried a lot when i was at kid
I get what you say, I used to cry rivers over the slightest hint of sadness in anime or any videos, but after my life took a slide and I spent days crying for real now I feel like crying but I sometimes cannot
Oct 28, 2017 10:49 AM

Dec 2014
this was an amazing film...drama love and good yet fulfilling end.... I really loved every expect of it
Oct 28, 2017 9:13 PM
Jul 2011
Why is there a korean flag in that scene after bombing?
Nov 2, 2017 4:48 PM

May 2012
Well this sure was quite the movie, it's always an interesting view to see what happened from another perspective. Quite loved the drama and romance development in this movie, especially the character development was quite amazing!

I must say that I really enjoyed watching this movie, especially that bittersweet ending I must say!
Nov 5, 2017 3:18 PM

Oct 2015
I got confused but I think Harumi never died from judging by the ending, I think she held her with the left hand. But Reiko would've recognised her daughter that's what's confusing me. I guess its an open ending, it either its her or another child.

Either way this was a brilliant movie depicting the hardships women of Japan endured during the war with America.
9/10 is my verdict for being great.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 7, 2017 5:39 PM

Feb 2013
dudehacker said:

I'd think it's probably from one of the Koreans who were in Japan in one reason or another (could be for spying, could've been captured, who knows) and celebrated Japan's defeat since that'd mean Korea's independence.

Well it was pretty random tbh. And I'm Korean lol

-Edit- It seems like it was a leftover from the change of script from the manga, 'when the heroine realizes her country’s oppression of others upon seeing a Korean flag'. Read that from a review.
JPthugnificentNov 7, 2017 5:44 PM
Nov 7, 2017 6:16 PM
Jul 2011
JPthugnificent said:
dudehacker said:

I'd think it's probably from one of the Koreans who were in Japan in one reason or another (could be for spying, could've been captured, who knows) and celebrated Japan's defeat since that'd mean Korea's independence.

Well it was pretty random tbh. And I'm Korean lol

-Edit- It seems like it was a leftover from the change of script from the manga, 'when the heroine realizes her country’s oppression of others upon seeing a Korean flag'. Read that from a review.

Thank you for the answer, it really bothered me since it stands out so much in that scene.
Nov 9, 2017 6:06 PM

Nov 2017
Even though it wasn't that impactful and didn't do much with the war theme, I'm simply biased towards the traditional animation regarding a realistic set of events and people. 4/5
LumsiNov 9, 2017 11:04 PM
Nov 11, 2017 2:27 AM

Aug 2013
lihle808 said:
I got confused but I think Harumi never died from judging by the ending, I think she held her with the left hand. But Reiko would've recognised her daughter that's what's confusing me. I guess its an open ending, it either its her or another child.

Either way this was a brilliant movie depicting the hardships women of Japan endured during the war with America.
its the daughter from the girl suzu met in the city when she helped her getting home
Nov 11, 2017 4:31 AM

Apr 2017
Jousuke said:
lihle808 said:

its the daughter from the girl suzu met in the city when she helped her getting home

So it's Rin's daughter then? :o
Nov 11, 2017 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
misjebaka8D said:
Jousuke said:

exactly and rin was the kid from the attic who was eating the melon skin and when she later met suzu she said their family was really poor and there was a child who let her eat the leftovers
Nov 11, 2017 9:27 AM

Feb 2016
Jousuke said:
misjebaka8D said:

exactly and rin was the kid from the attic who was eating the melon skin and when she later met suzu she said their family was really poor and there was a child who let her eat the leftovers

whoa really? never made that connection :o

I liked this movie. The beginning was a bit too SOL-ish, but it helped a lot with building the characters. The many time skips appeared jarring at first, but gradually become interesting snapshots of past events of daily life, and in this case helped the plot structure and investment in the characters. The second part was very well done with good buildup and the contrast played nice, the devastation from the bombings were also portrayed very well. The ending could have been handled better, but I think it fits within the story. At times it was a bit confusing with the constant switching of places and characters, but overall nothing that distracting. The artstyle was simple enough, but I liked how they incorporated Suzu's drawings together with the real world scenery. The rabbit waves were beautiful.
AquamirrorNov 11, 2017 9:35 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Extended Version (+30 minutes of new content) premieres December 20th

Zaugr - Mar 29, 2019

7 by evileivind »»
Mar 5, 7:26 AM

» Where to start Manga?

wemiremi - Oct 22, 2022

6 by Adz01 »»
Oct 23, 2022 3:06 AM

» Why is the Netflix version 2 hour long

Ubada03 - Jul 28, 2021

6 by Bluwulf »»
Sep 5, 2022 2:44 AM

» Can you watch this on teleparty with someone ?

Son_nish-kun20 - Sep 10, 2021

9 by Son_nish-kun20 »»
Sep 11, 2021 3:03 PM

» Extended Version

topunuzunamk - Mar 17, 2018

9 by Klonoa7H »»
Apr 9, 2021 11:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.